PDA

View Full Version : American F1 Team

Scheckterfan54
16th June 2007, 06:12
I am no F1 expert, but I do enjoy watching F1 and am curious as to the chances we will ever see an American team participating in Formula 1. I believe that if this is at all possible, that this would increase exposure in the U.S. I think it would be difficult for both chevy and ford. But what about maybe an American Honda or American Toyota. Go ahead and tell me im off my rocker for writing all this,but have been pondering over if this could ever happen for some time and thought I would see what all the gurus have to say.

Valve Bounce
16th June 2007, 06:25
I am no F1 expert, but I do enjoy watching F1 and am curious as to the chances we will ever see an American team participating in Formula 1. I believe that if this is at all possible, that this would increase exposure in the U.S. I think it would be difficult for both chevy and ford. But what about maybe an American Honda or American Toyota. Go ahead and tell me im off my rocker for writing all this,but have been pondering over if this could ever happen for some time and thought I would see what all the gurus have to say.

The trouble with running an all American team is to find sufficient American pit crew who can count to 4 to make sure that the cars all have 4 wheels on. :D

Of course, we could have an All Irish team, but the pit stops would be hilarious. :p :

call_me_andrew
16th June 2007, 06:33
American Honda is investing plenty into the IRL and ALMS. American Toyota is investing heavily in NASCAR.

There's always rumors floating around GM, but don't hold your breath.

millencolin
16th June 2007, 07:12
sounds a bit too much of a gimmick for F1... more of a champcar/irl thing

Cozzie
16th June 2007, 08:21
Dan Gurney ran one (albeit private) in the 1960s. Eagle-Westlake, I think they had moderate success.

ShiftingGears
16th June 2007, 09:43
Dan Gurney ran one (albeit private) in the 1960s. Eagle-Westlake, I think they had moderate success.

Only US built car to win a race. Great looking car too!
http://www.allamericanracers.com/gurney_grand-prix/eagle-weslake11.jpg

Penske Racing also raced in F1 during the 70's.

cos
16th June 2007, 12:23
Something was mooted by Gurney and Hill a few years back but never got off the ground:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/motorsport/formula_one/2286807.stm

wedge
16th June 2007, 12:36

I'd highly doubt it.

There's no way Ford and GM will fund it. They'd be quite happy with NASCAR and other national motorsports that is cost effective.

Anyway, all the resources and know how is in Europe and especially England.

I think the petrolheads and F1 die-hards would love to see Roger Penske back. He's the only guy in America who can realistically pull it off - he could easily get a Mercedes customer engine with a click of finger! Penske has a stake in HPE, HPE was part of Ilmor, Ilmor built the Merc Indy and F1 engines. Penske never applied last time round to enter an F1 team - that went to Dave Richard's Prodrive.

Darn shame too. I can't see any American who could run an F1 team. Maybe Chip Ganassi if he really wanted to.

Interestingly I've noticed the Honda drivers had Acura decals on their helmets in Canada.

gjalie
16th June 2007, 13:20
Darn shame too. I can't see any American who could run an F1 team. Maybe Chip Ganassi if he really wanted to.

maybe Silvester Stallone, lot's of money and a bit drivin(g) experience. lol

ShiftingGears
16th June 2007, 13:41
maybe Silvester Stallone, lot's of money and a bit drivin(g) experience. lol

If he was alive you couldn't beat Steve McQueen as a racer. Great actor, and in his first circuit race, the 1970 12 Hours of Sebring, he won his class with Peter Revson, despite having a cast on his foot! Talk about a natural!

cy bais
16th June 2007, 14:04
An American F1 team, you'd have to tell the drivers and crew that there will be right and left turns :)

Roamy
16th June 2007, 15:14
The trouble with running an all American team is to find sufficient American pit crew who can count to 4 to make sure that the cars all have 4 wheels on. :D

Of course, we could have an All Irish team, but the pit stops would be hilarious. :p :

What it takes us about 6 guys where it takes you guys about 12. The Irish team could be quite good especially if backed by Guiness.

aryan
16th June 2007, 16:44

All the know-how and the engineering knowledge is in Europe, specifically in Britain. Sauber has had problems luring F1 engineers to even Switzerland. Ferrari still employs a sizable English number.

Most races are held in Europe, so the team will have to be stationed in Europe. The logistics of fielding and American F1 team just don't make sense. Today, an F1 team HAS to be in Europe, it is to its advantage if is in England, better yet if it is in Woking-Surrey area. Universities there have F1-specific mechanical engineering courses.

call_me_andrew
16th June 2007, 20:43
There's no way Ford and GM will fund it. They'd be quite happy with NASCAR and other national motorsports that is cost effective.

I think the petrolheads and F1 die-hards would love to see Roger Penske back. He's the only guy in America who can realistically pull it off - he could easily get a Mercedes customer engine with a click of finger! Penske has a stake in HPE, HPE was part of Ilmor, Ilmor built the Merc Indy and F1 engines. Penske never applied last time round to enter an F1 team - that went to Dave Richard's Prodrive.

Interestingly I've noticed the Honda drivers had Acura decals on their helmets in Canada.

You're forgetting something important. Ford did have a F1 team recently. They were called Jaguar and they sucked. It's not that American manufacturers are limiting themselves to national motorsports, they normally just focus on one major American program and one major European program. Ford is invested in WRC and GM is invested in sports car racing.

Penske is not interested in starting a F1 team he can't devote all his time to.

I don't think Chip has that kind of money.

truefan72
16th June 2007, 22:22
they would have to be in it for the right reasons.
drawing more attention from the US market is a mute point. Americans are not nationalistic in terms of sports that they don't dominate. US post won 7 Toure de fRances in a row and the US masses didn't respond. Just a different sensibility that's all.

If the company is in it to make some money and establish prestige around the world ( ala spyker) then F1 would be a worthy challenge.

In that Category, I see only one company SELENE
I beleive they already have a very very fast and slick sports car and should be racing in Le Mans GT. Stepping up to F1 in a few years might be something they will consider.

A Scotsman
16th June 2007, 22:48
The Americans have a different attitude to motorsport... Whilst undoubtedly they're in it to make money they also just like having fun... F1 would probably bore them sh*tless.

xtlm
17th June 2007, 03:16
Penske would be the best bet....but I don't see him coming back.

That would be cool though....

xtlm
17th June 2007, 03:22
(now i read that this has been covered)

ok, if not them 2 (pen and gan) then how about hendrick&gordon banking one?

...i kid, i kid...lol

-Helix-
17th June 2007, 05:08
What about Dodge/Chrysler? Or do they not have a big enough global market to care about any international series?

How about Panoz? I'm guessing they're pretty busy focusing on Le Mans and they might not have the money either, but it's a possibility.

xtlm
17th June 2007, 06:22
What about Dodge/Chrysler? Or do they not have a big enough global market to care about any international series?

well they are daimlerchrysler now.

http://www.daimlerchrysler.com/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DaimlerChrysler

Benz and McLaren fit in there somewhere

-Helix-
17th June 2007, 06:34

Yes, but if Mercedes can compete as a branch of Chrysler, why not Dodge who is also their own branch?

aryan
17th June 2007, 08:17

DaimlerChrysler is dumping Chrysler this month. It is going back to being Daimler Benz.

And Chrysler, after being dumped, will be in no position to mount an F1 challenge. No way...

call_me_andrew
17th June 2007, 21:17
DaimlerChrysler is dumping Chrysler this month. It is going back to being Daimler Benz.

And Chrysler, after being dumped, will be in no position to mount an F1 challenge. No way...

And they're attention (aside from NASCAR) is mostly focused on the Viper being in sports car racing and drifting.

Sure, drifting isn't racing, but the kids love it.

wedge
17th June 2007, 23:11
You're forgetting something important. Ford did have a F1 team recently. They were called Jaguar and they sucked.

Well that was the Stewart team with Detroit calling the shots. The bigwigs made some stupid decisions such as firing Bobby Rahal just because Adrian Newey decided not to join Jaguar at the last minute. Rahal laid some good foundation by hiring some good backroom staff such as the guy who came up with the Hanford device in the aero team.

Stuartf12007
17th June 2007, 23:37
I am sure Mcdonalds would invest in a car to challenge Spyker if you were to buy enough big Macs

raikk
18th June 2007, 04:34

about as much chance as seeing the Canadian National Dog Sled team on the grid..

BenRoethig
18th June 2007, 05:27
An American manufacturer doesn't have any reason for making an F1 team. For one, it's a complete money pit a quarter billion a year minimum. Second, our top drivers have interest in F1. Third, the fact that our grand prix cannot get a contract to get on either broadcast t.v. or a top sports network shows our level of interest in F1.

wmcot
18th June 2007, 06:30
How about Panoz? I'm guessing they're pretty busy focusing on Le Mans and they might not have the money either, but it's a possibility.

It's hard to find somebody who isn't heavily invested in another sport. Panoz builds a GT2 car for ALMS and also the Champ Car chassis. Saleen has had cars raced in LeMans GT1, but not as a factory. I doubt they have the money. Penske is working full-time running Porsche RS Spyders in the ALMS series (don't ask me why they weren't at Le Mans)

Most, if not all, US car manufacturers are not in a financial position to make any further investment. The only chance I could see would be similar to the Jaguar deal where a group of American investors (not a motor company) buy an existing team and re-branded it. Maybe Donald Trump could hire "apprentice" drivers? ;)

janneppi
18th June 2007, 07:19
Maybe Donald Trump could hire "apprentice" drivers? ;)

A chassis made of gold and diamonds would make a very slow F1 car. :D

raikk
18th June 2007, 07:45

I'm not so sure.. If the car ran on his self satisfaction it would be the best team on the grid!

call_me_andrew
18th June 2007, 21:53

Gold yes. But diamonds are very strong.

I doubt Saleen and Panoz have the money.

nigelred5
19th June 2007, 03:09
What it takes us about 6 guys where it takes you guys about 12. The Irish team could be quite good especially if backed by Guiness.

And those 12 are just to change the tires. Actually, I count 16 on most F1 pit stops, and that doesn't count the extra fire control guy or anyone that might actually look at the engine or adjust a wing, etc. I've counted 20 people touch the car on multiple occasions.

nigelred5
19th June 2007, 03:16
Yes, but if Mercedes can compete as a branch of Chrysler, why not Dodge who is also their own branch?

Honestly, Chrysler was a branch of Mercedes. Call if what they wanted, it was no merger of equals. Stuttgart called all the shots, just as they did to dump Chrysler.

The other problem an american team would have is being based in the US. Logistically it would be extremely difficult, and as soon as it was based in england, most of us would loose any justification for calling it an American team, no matter who owned it. If it were going to happen, going into the new 08 regs with customer cars would have been the time.

ykiki
19th June 2007, 04:05
I'd love to see Eagle back in F1. Gurney has the factory, but unfortunately lacks the funding. :(

ykiki
19th June 2007, 04:07
Honestly, Chrysler was a branch of Mercedes. Call if what they wanted, it was no merger of equals. Stuttgart called all the shots, just as they did to dump Chrysler.

The other problem an american team would have is being based in the US. Logistically it would be extremely difficult, and as soon as it was based in england, most of us would loose any justification for calling it an American team, no matter who owned it. If it were going to happen, going into the new 08 regs with customer cars would have been the time.

Reminds me of the joke....

How do you pronounce "Daimler-Chrysler" in German?

The "Chrysler" is silent...

wmcot
19th June 2007, 08:43

And similar to McLaren, drivers would have a team hair style - how would you get all that hair under a helmet???

William Hunt
19th June 2007, 21:03
There used to be American squads in F1. Most notably Dan Gurney's Eagle team that was competitive in the '60s, Penske (John Watson won a race for them) and Parnelli (with Mario Andretti behind the weal) shortly in the '70s. The Lola team that ran with Ford engines in '85-'86 with Alan Jones and Patrick Tambay (and Eddie Cheever one race replacing Tambay) was also basically an American team that was run by Carl Haas. In the '90s Penske was rumoured to comeback, the rumours resurfaced a couple of years ago but it doesn't seem to be serious. Dan Gurney als tried and failed to come back with a new team. I don't see an American team coming to F1 in the coming years. A new Spanish team (Campos or Racing Engineering) or French team (ART) seems more likely to happen.

Placid
23rd July 2007, 04:06
I'd love to see Eagle back in F1. Gurney has the factory, but unfortunately lacks the funding. :(

That is true. And this was back 4-5 years ago. And if Gurney had a chassis built, then that is out-dated. Another way for any US F1 team to get into the grid will be buying a struggling team. But Spyker do not want none of that. Prodrive has already taken the final grid spot for 2008 so it will be back to the drawing board for Gurney and Rahal.

jazzwolf
23rd July 2007, 08:52

I donīt know, but i hear Daimer is living Chrysler. I donīt think Chrysler on their own will try to do some thing like that.

I have a question about Ford, they own Cosworth, or not?. I that is true tha had have a motor in F1 for quite some time now. Well this year no, but...

And to build a chasis they will have to do what Honda or Toyota do, have some base in Europe.

Rusty Spanner
23rd July 2007, 09:19
An American manufacturer doesn't have any reason for making an F1 team. For one, it's a complete money pit a quarter billion a year minimum. Second, our top drivers have interest in F1. Third, the fact that our grand prix cannot get a contract to get on either broadcast t.v. or a top sports network shows our level of interest in F1.

Historically that I think is it more than anything.
You can't advertise to them if they ain't watching.

Griffon
23rd July 2007, 11:21
I donīt know, but i hear Daimer is living Chrysler. I donīt think Chrysler on their own will try to do some thing like that.

I have a question about Ford, they own Cosworth, or not?. I that is true tha had have a motor in F1 for quite some time now. Well this year no, but...

And to build a chasis they will have to do what Honda or Toyota do, have some base in Europe.

When Ford sold the Jaguar F1 team to Red Bull, they sold Cosworth Racing to Gerry Forsythe and Kevin Kalkhoven. Forsythe and Kalkhoven, who own the Champ Car series, also bought the Pi Group from Ford.