PDA

View Full Version : Rubens, David and Giancarlo to renew their contracts

ioan
13th June 2007, 13:53
http://www.autosport.com/news/grapevine.php/id/59700

Formula One's oldguard of Rubens Barrichello, Giancarlo Fisichella and David Coulthard all look set to be re-signed for another season in the sport, autosport.com has learned.

The three men are the oldest on the grid but, despite the huge impression being made by young rookie Lewis Hamilton, the trio have impressed their bosses enough to be tipped to keep their jobs for 2008.

truefan72
13th June 2007, 14:27
Fisi probably,

the other two, probably not

VkmSpouge
14th June 2007, 02:12
It would be sensible for Honda to keep a hold of Rubens Barrichello. I think Giancarlo Fisichella is probably doing enough to keep his seat at the moment (though I daresay this could change through the course of the year). I'm not certain about David Coulthard, he's done some very good races this year but has also had some bad ones. If he can get a run of good form going then I don't see why Red Bull wouldn't want to keep him.

Hawkmoon
14th June 2007, 04:37
Doesn't surprise me. I can't see any better alternatives to the three old buggers.

Rubens has had the better of Button and Renault are apparently happy with Fisichella. Combine that with Kovalainen still finding his feet and I think it's a pretty good move.

As for Old Man DC, he's shown he's still very quick when he wants to be. I'd say he probably works well with Newey too, so that's got to be a bonus.

I don't think we'll see much movement in the driver market next season. At least not with the top half of the grid.

aryan
14th June 2007, 10:58
All three should be re-signed. They are beating their much younger team mates, to varying degrees but beating them still fair and square.

dwboogityfan
14th June 2007, 11:03
I agree that Rubens and Fisichella have beaten their highly rated team-mates so far but I think DC has been mostly outpaced by F1's unluckiest driver Mark Webber. Webber could easily have had more points than DC but for reliability problems and the teams baffling Canadian strategy.

keysersoze
14th June 2007, 20:53
So I suppose Mr. Piquet, Jr. may now turn his attention to the "other" Renault seat! :D

jens
14th June 2007, 21:56
Your attitude is surprising. :) Just half a year ago most persons here wanted to see "old drivers" to quit as quickly as possible. Experienced drivers are showing that they shouldn't be written off after one unfortunate season. I still remember the reactions after 2006 Brazilian Grand Prix: "Fisi and Rubens should retire, not MS..."

Current Fisichella vs Kovalainen battle shows quite clearly, what experience counts in F1.

futuretiger9
14th June 2007, 22:47
DC is not matching Webber's raw pace, Fisichella is not exactly being stretched by Heikki, and Rubens is just outpacing an arguably demotivated Button.

Ranger
15th June 2007, 07:22
I agree that Rubens and Fisichella have beaten their highly rated team-mates so far but I think DC has been mostly outpaced by F1's unluckiest driver Mark Webber. Webber could easily have had more points than DC but for reliability problems and the teams baffling Canadian strategy.I'll agree with that. But given Renault (who have a poor hand as the reigning champions) and Honda's current form I don't think they'll change anybody. Which will probably mean Barrichello will beat Patrese's record next year.

Garry Walker
15th June 2007, 10:00
They all deserve to have a seat in F1, more so than some of the young drivers like Albers, Liuzzi, Speed, Davidson, Kovalainen...

aryan
15th June 2007, 16:40
I agree that Rubens and Fisichella have beaten their highly rated team-mates so far but I think DC has been mostly outpaced by F1's unluckiest driver Mark Webber. Webber could easily have had more points than DC but for reliability problems and the teams baffling Canadian strategy.

Mark has more raw speed, but raw speed isn't everything in F1. You have to make your own luck. Just watch Bahrain and Malaysia this year to see how DC did that.

Now seeing our respective flags, it's ironic that I am defending DC here and you Mark :)

rohanweb
15th June 2007, 16:46
Doesn't surprise me. I can't see any better alternatives to the three old buggers.

Rubens has had the better of Button and Renault are apparently happy with Fisichella. Combine that with Kovalainen still finding his feet and I think it's a pretty good move.

As for Old Man DC, he's shown he's still very quick when he wants to be. I'd say he probably works well with Newey too, so that's got to be a bonus.

I don't think we'll see much movement in the driver market next season. At least not with the top half of the grid.

I compeltely agree with HawKmoon.
the Oldguard are doing a better job this season to thier young-blood team-mates, ( Go on DC.. you can make it another few seasons )

ArrowsFA1
16th June 2007, 09:45
Which will probably mean Barrichello will beat Patrese's record next year.
I guess records are there to be broken :dozey: :(

jens
18th June 2007, 11:28
I wonder... If Kovalainen has really found the confidence and continues beating Fisichella, then will Renault really offer a contract for 2008 for the Italian? It looks like a lot may change only in the spotlight of one race. What do you think?

Garry Walker
18th June 2007, 12:23
I wonder... If Kovalainen has really found the confidence and continues beating Fisichella, then will Renault really offer a contract for 2008 for the Italian? It looks like a lot may change only in the spotlight of one race. What do you think?

This was a lucky race for Kovalainen, Fisi ****ed up and lost any chance of a good race there. But he overtook and was fast when he wasnt stuck, faster than HK I would say. Kovalainen got lucky this time. Thats 2 races in row where he has gotten lucky.

trumperZ06
18th June 2007, 21:15
This was a lucky race for Kovalainen, Fisi ****ed up and lost any chance of a good race there. But he overtook and was fast when he wasnt stuck, faster than HK I would say. Kovalainen got lucky this time. Thats 2 races in row where he has gotten lucky.

:p : Damn... these Old guys are sure having a run of... bad luck !!

Ralfie keeps rolling.... Snake Eyes, but maybe his Luck will change ? :rolleyes:

These Youngsers all must have beginner's luck. No one should risk... taking a chance on just a "lucky driver".

;) What was Ole Ron thinking ??? Lewis Hamilton ???

He sure has gotten lucky for...

Seven races !!!

Vettel's also gotten lucky... replacing a damaged Kubica who's luck...

must have run out...

and SeaBass, hasn't even run in F-1... he just stays LUCKY, over in Champcar.