PDA

View Full Version : Dale Jr Schedules News Conference

muggle not
12th June 2007, 19:43
This was first reported by MD24 but I thought it deserved it's own topic. Give MD24 credit though.

By JENNA FRYER

CHARLOTTE, N.C. (AP) - Dale Earnhardt Jr. has decided where he will drive next season, and all signs point to Hendrick Motorsports.

NASCAR's most popular driver called a Wednesday news conference at his race shop, JR Motorsports, and spokesman Mike Davis said it was to announce his plans for 2008 and beyond.

It's the same site where Junior announced May 10 he would leave DEI and enter the free-agent market.

That move ignited a whirlwind of recruiting rarely scene in NASCAR, and there's been nonstop talk regarding where Earnhardt would end up. He's made shop visits and met with various car owners while he trying to make a decision.

His sister, Kelley Earnhardt Elledge, is handling his negotiations and has maintained their first choice was to keep Earnhardt in a Chevrolet. She has said the majority of her conversations have been with NASCAR's top Chevy teams.

Hendrick is the best in NASCAR right now, with 10 wins through the first 15 points races this season.

Speculation grew Monday night that Earnhardt was close to a deal with Hendrick, but officials declined comment Tuesday. Elledge did not respond to messages from The Associated Press.

Rick Hendrick currently has four drivers under contract, and told the AP last month "there was no room at the inn" for Earnhardt. NASCAR rules permit a car owner to field four Nextel Cup teams.

But multiple sources _ speaking to the AP on condition of anonymity because Earnhardt's plans have not been announced _ said Hendrick officials have been working for nearly three weeks to figure out how to bring the star driver into the fold. One scenario could put Earnhardt into the No. 5 car that Kyle Busch currently drives.

Busch is under contract through 2008, and Hendrick has said he wanted to sign the 22-year-old driver to an extension. But there are rumblings Busch has asked to be released from his contract.

Asked if that was true, Hendrick spokesman Jesse Essex said, "We don't comment on contractual issues."

Busch was testing in Milwaukee on Tuesday and not available to comment.

It's still possible Earnhardt could end up at Richard Childress Racing, where his father won six of his seven championships, or Joe Gibbs Racing. But Childress is out of the country, and the assistant to Gibbs president J.D. Gibbs said Gibbs is away all week.

rabf1
12th June 2007, 19:56
Sounds like Hendrick.

muggle not
12th June 2007, 20:11
Sounds like Hendrick.
Yeah, and it looks like kyle is odd man out.

SOD
12th June 2007, 20:14
Wow.

Jr, Gordon & Johnson as teammates. :crazy:

Jonesi
12th June 2007, 20:40
Yeah, and it looks like kyle is odd man out.

"Out" might not be the word for it. He's probably at the top of the short list for #8. A driver swap (and maybe sponsors too) is usually the easiest deal to pull off since its win-win for everyone.

Chandler
12th June 2007, 21:08
Am I the only one who finds it on one hand sacriligous (I'm from Mississippi I can't spell) that Jr. is going to be on the same team as the driver 99% of Jr fans think is the Anti-Christ, but at the same time very, very, VERY funny that Jr. is going to be on the same team as the driver 99% of Jr fans think is the Anti-Christ?

I'm torn here, I don't know whether to be sad that one of the best parts of any Sunday, hearing the fans roar when Jr takes the lead or boo when Gordon pulls out a win... or gleeful that those very same fans are really going to have to re-evaluate their loyalties.

I had to do much the same thing when my beloved Cleveland Browns moved away and became the Baltimore Ravens... and I decided to stick with the Browns.

What will all these Jr. fans that throw beer bottles on the track at Dega do now? Can they root against one of Jr. teammates? Or will they boo Gordon extra hard for the remainder of the season?

Doesn't this just scream for a classic WWE move where Jr shows up at Dega later this year proudly wearing the red #8 then ripping it off to show that he is wearing Dupont colors underneath as Jim "J.R." Ross is screaming "NO! NO, Jr! For the love of God NO!!!"

MD24
12th June 2007, 21:10
UPDATE 3: Being told that indeed, Dale Earnhardt, Jr. will end up at Hendrick Motorsports, taking Kyle Busch's roster spot. As to what happens to Busch, he'll take Junior's place at Dale Earnhardt, Incorporated.(6-12-2007)

#6CupFan
12th June 2007, 22:26
If Jr signs up with Hendrick, he indeed is going where he can win, and win he will I'm sure.

I was pulling for RCR or a DEI takeover, anything else seemed/ seems odd. Even more odd would be Kyle Busch in the red 8 with Bud on the hood. :eek:

He will be in town here in a few weeks at our local racetrack, this will definately make that visit MUCH more interesting!

Sparky1329
12th June 2007, 22:46
Whoa. :eek:

Hoss Ghoul
12th June 2007, 23:01
I'm still wondering why the news conference is going to be at Jr. Motorsports. I guess its to keep the suspense, but you'd think you would have the news conference at your new employers office.

Also, I don't think this would necessarily mean Busch is out of the fold at HMS. He could be heading to Ginn, because other than Martin their drivers are nothing special, but their cars seem to be of top quality.

harvick#1
12th June 2007, 23:11
Wow.

Jr, Gordon & Johnson as teammates. :crazy:

get ready for the dimise of Hendrick motorsports :D

harvick#1
12th June 2007, 23:13
whats funny is that Truex is really on fire now at DEI, which is proving that they are gaining very quickly back to race winning progress.

with RCR possibly running a 4th car, that spot could be now for Kyle :s , maybe Burton will take him under his wing and I may possibly become more mature and better

which means Biffle could be with Truex at DEI

I'm gonna be laughing my ass off every race, when Truex will outrun Jooyner every week in a hendrick car, just to prove that Jooyner is no longer the guy he thinks he still is

muggle not
12th June 2007, 23:46
I expect Kyle to end up at DEI and Jr will definitely be at HMS.

Of course, I remember many years ago when I was once wrong. :)

dwboogityfan
13th June 2007, 00:00
I'm not too sure about this move for Jr. Why? Because so far he has been the undisputed team leader at DEI. For example, when Mikey started to get closer to him DEI soon put a stop to that. Only now Jr. has announced he is leaving is Truex running better. At Hendrick he will be behind Jeff and Jimmie in the pecking order and will do well to match Kyle Busch's results.
I still think Ginn Racing would be the best situation. Jr is good friends with Sterling Marlin and with Mark Martin in the #01 again they would have one of NASCAR's strongest driver line-ups - particularly at the Plate tracks.

Jonesi
13th June 2007, 00:11
NascarNow just said that ESPN2 will have the announcement live at 11am EDT (for those of us without SPEED;-) and an hour show at 6pm tomorrow.

muggle not
13th June 2007, 00:24
whats funny is that Truex is really on fire now at DEI, which is proving that they are gaining very quickly back to race winning progress.

with RCR possibly running a 4th car, that spot could be now for Kyle :s , maybe Burton will take him under his wing and I may possibly become more mature and better

which means Biffle could be with Truex at DEI

I'm gonna be laughing my ass off every race, when Truex will outrun Jooyner every week in a hendrick car, just to prove that Jooyner is no longer the guy he thinks he still is
How long do you think that Burton and Harvick would put up with Kyle.

harvick#1
13th June 2007, 00:36
not very long :p :

but maybe he will have a good new attitude by switching teams, or he may still be just like he brother after changing teams

SOD
13th June 2007, 01:29

All that Bud money will help the #5 car.

When Jr was driving the Hendrick car a few weeks ago, there was more to that than a friendly gesture ;)

blakebeatty
13th June 2007, 01:57

are they going to suffocate on all of the money and nextel cups?

harvick#1
13th June 2007, 01:59
I don't think Bud has confirmed yet? they could still stay with DEI if they bring in a young driver

harvick#1
13th June 2007, 02:03
are they going to suffocate on all of the money and nextel cups?

Ego clash, Jooyner is gonna do more harm than good ;)

Sparky1329
13th June 2007, 02:25
All that Bud money will help the #5 car.

When Jr was driving the Hendrick car a few weeks ago, there was more to that than a friendly gesture ;)

Yeah and he also said that the #5 car drove better wrecked than his #8 did not wrecked.

RaceFanStan
13th June 2007, 02:33
If Kyle Busch goes to DEI & has Budweiser .....
that means the Busch brothers battle for the beer bragging rights .....
Miller vs Bud, brother against brother ..... all I can say is http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g202/gr8link/orn/ooo.gif

MD24
13th June 2007, 02:57
Maybe it has nothing to do with tomorrow's announcement but I thought it was a bit strange that Kyle wasn't wearing his HMS suit or driving the #5 kellogg's dirt car at the Edora race last week.

Wish I wasn't working tomorrow so I could watch the press conference. We used to get the speed channel at work but it was dropped a few months ago. What kind of employer does that to his employees :mark:

MD24
13th June 2007, 02:58
I expect Kyle to end up at DEI and Jr will definitely be at HMS.

Of course, I remember many years ago when I was once wrong. :)

:D

Jonesi
13th June 2007, 03:32
I don't think Bud has confirmed yet? they could still stay with DEI if they bring in a young driver

Somewhere in the back of my mind there's an issue with beer companys using anyone under 25 to promote their product, also wasn't DE jr 25 when he signed with them.

muggle not
13th June 2007, 03:43
I find it difficult to believe that Budweiser would even consider a person with the attitude of kyle. :)
Afterall, they are the 'King of Beers". :)

dont_be_jack
13th June 2007, 04:24
You know, this could very well be nothing. SPEED would drop everything at the drop of a pin for Junior. But if it is true, it is very well possible that Ginn or Gibbs were keeping their mouths shut and not letting out the secret that he will be driving for either one next year.

And let us not forget that he could possibly be setting up his team as a Hendrick satellite.

Sparky1329
13th June 2007, 04:51
I don't know. Marty Smith was pretty confident about his information on NASCAR Now. He said he got the info from somebody at HMS on the condition of anonymity.

Haulin'AssAndTurnin Left
13th June 2007, 12:06
This is a good move for jr. as for a pecking order, i dont really think their is one at HMS. They race each other pretty hard for a win, especially Gordon and Johnson.

gary_580
13th June 2007, 12:21
I beleive Bud sponsor Junior and not DEI they do have some commitments with DEI though. This was the main reason he hasnt gone to Joe Gibbs as they JG wont have an alcohol sponsor on his team

MD24
13th June 2007, 13:39
UPDATE 4: also heaing another scenerio: Jr will be in the #5, Kyle Busch to Ginn [#01] and Mark Martin will finish out 2007 in the #5. No word on who would be in the #8....if this happens.(6-13-2007)

dwboogityfan
13th June 2007, 13:47
Would be surprised if Kyle left immediately but Ginn would be better to keep Mark, am not sure how Kyle would get on with Joe and Sterling, and where this would leave Regan Smith.

jeffmr2
13th June 2007, 13:52
Is it that Kyle wants to leave or is he being giving the boot by HMS? I cant understand why it would be Kyle not Mears leaving when Kyle is so far ahead of him in the points standing and in terms of talent.

Jonesi
14th June 2007, 00:23
Is it that Kyle wants to leave or is he being giving the boot by HMS? I cant understand why it would be Kyle not Mears leaving when Kyle is so far ahead of him in the points standing and in terms of talent.

Historically Rick doesn't give people the boot. He was very loyal to Terry Labonte, even when he was clearly past his prime. He worked to get Joe Nemechek into MB2 (now Ginn), and I believe he even helped Ken Schrader a drive after he was replaced. I expect Kyle to end up in a good and well paying ride, either #8 or if he doesn't get that seat going to the spot opening up from whoever gets it.

blakebeatty
14th June 2007, 00:45
Wouldn't it be cool to see Kyle in the rumored 3rd Penske ride, teamed with his brother and Newman???

BobbyC
14th June 2007, 02:07
This is a great way for Junior to celebrate the maternal heritage of the family. All Star Racing started in 1983 as a Budweiser Late Model Sportsman team when his grandfather, Robert Gee Sr, and a Charlotte car dealer by the name of Joseph Riddick Hendrick III went racing together. Senior got into the ride, won at Lowe's in the Mello Yello 300 the day before the 600, and I think Rick wanted Senior in his car when the team moved to Cup, but no way.

The Gee boys head JR Motorsports.

It took 24 years, but Hendrick finally gets an Earnhardt into the team.

harvick#1
14th June 2007, 02:12
but this Earnhardt is nowhere near the quality of the Big E

muggle not
14th June 2007, 02:27
but this Earnhardt is nowhere near the quality of the Big E
neither is harvick. :rolleyes:

harvick#1
14th June 2007, 02:43
you can't tell me the 500 reminded you of Big E goin through everyone at Dega for his last win :D

30th to 1st in 20 laps, Big E would be proud

muggle not
14th June 2007, 02:55
The "ties" between Hendricks and Earnhardt are much deeper than I realized.

By David Caraviello, NASCAR.COM
June 13, 2007
MOORESVILLE, N.C. -- It began amid the dirt roads and tobacco farms of South Hill, Va., moved to the short tracks scattered around North Carolina's textile country, and culminated Wednesday in a sparkling, modern building on the outskirts of Charlotte. Dale Earnhardt Jr. and Rick Hendrick always seemed destined to work together, from the moment decades ago when the driver's grandfather showed the future team owner how to put a hood scoop on a Chevelle.

Send David your thoughts
It shouldn't be all that surprising. Earnhardt's announcement that he would drive the next five years for Hendrick Motorsports sent tremors through a fan base that has often viewed Hendrick ace Jeff Gordon as public enemy No. 1. But the reality is that Hendrick has served as something of a surrogate father to Earnhardt since the day his blood father was killed in a crash at Daytona. The reality is that Hendrick helped Earnhardt's sister Kelley find a doctor when she was struck with a pancreatic ailment. The reality is that Hendrick offered Earnhardt advice and guidance after the driver announced his impending split from Dale Earnhardt Inc. last month.

And the reality is that there's no better place for Earnhardt than Hendrick Motorsports, the NASCAR juggernaut which has won six titles in the sport's premier series and 10 of 14 races this season. It was where he wanted to end up all along, and it came about because of Earnhardt's personal relationship with Hendrick -- who employed his grandfather, had the trust and respect of his father, and has been a constant presence throughout much of the driver's life.

"Even when I was thinking about my decision to leave DEI, his main concern was just my well being," Earnhardt said at JR Motorsports, his Busch team. "He had no other motives or any intentions other than trying to help me in any way so I would be as happy as I could be at the end of the day. That was one of the things I never forgot, and I will probably remember for a long time about Rick. When it comes down to business, he's a smart businessman. But he genuinely cares about the people who are his friends or his employees, and he takes care of them. That was a big deciding factor for me."

They seemed such opposites on Wednesday -- Hendrick, overseer of the most fastidious race team in NASCAR, in his usual starched, white button-down-collar shirt; and Earnhardt, cleanly shaven (for once), icon of the rock and roll and racing lifestyle, in an untucked shirt over blue jeans. But deep down they are more alike than different, two people who share a common ancestry that goes back to one man in a small Virginia town.

It all began with Robert Gee. The man who would later become Earnhardt's maternal grandfather was one of the best fabricators of his era, and hailed from the same South Hill community that produced Hendrick. It was Gee who helped Hendrick get into racing, who co-owned the car driven by the elder Earnhardt that scored Hendrick's first NASCAR win in a Busch race at Charlotte in 1983, who worked for Hendrick for 11 years until his death in October of 1994. When Gee suffered a stroke, it was Hendrick who helped him find medical care.

"He was really proud of his employment and his involvement at Hendrick," Earnhardt said of his grandfather. "That was always apparent to me as his grandson. When I would go to his shop, I could see the pride he took in where he worked and what his job was and everything."There are plenty of links between Hendrick and Earnhardt's father, who tested Hendrick's first Cup car and was pursued by the fledgling team owner before joining with the more established Richard Childress Racing organization. Earnhardt Jr., who employs uncles Jimmy and Robert Gee Jr. at JR Motorsports, feels his mother's side of the family never gets enough credit for making him who he is. That's not the case with Hendrick, who looks at Earnhardt Jr. and sees his granddaddy's face.

"I can look at Robert Gee Jr., or Jimmy Gee, or Dale Jr., and all I see is Robert Gee. They're the spitting image of him. I go back and look and pictures from when we did things together, and I have to say, I owe Robert a lot," Hendrick said.

"You think back to coming to Charlotte, and Robert and I having a dirt car together, and then a Busch car and Senior winning the race in it. Senior and I tried to get together a couple of times, and I don't blame him for not coming to me when he went to Childress, because Childress was an established guy and I wasn't. But having a friendship there and all of the things that transpired through Robert, I've got pictures of me sitting in Robert's lap. When Robert had a stroke, Kelley was a little girl, and I got him a doctor and stayed with him. I never thought that one day we'd be doing this together."

Now Kelley, Earnhardt's manager, works directly with Hendrick. There are so many things yet to be determined -- whether Earnhardt will drive the No. 8, which he'd like to obtain from DEI; whether Budweiser will follow; what combination of current Hendrick sponsors will appear on Junior's 2008 car. But there's no questioning the pure happiness Earnhardt felt Wednesday, as evidenced by a beaming smile bigger than any he's worn in Victory Lane. And there's no questioning the level of comfort and trust between Earnhardt and his new boss, a stark contrast to his rocky relationship with stepmother Teresa Earnhardt at DEI.

"I've heard half a dozen stories about him, when someone's ill, whether it's Benny Parsons or a person at his business or a family member of an employee or whatever, they're flying people all across the country trying to get the best crews and doctors to that person," said Earnhardt, who witnessed it first-hand when Kelley battled benign pancreatic tumors. "He does those kinds of things all the time, and I find that kind of fascinating that he has the ability to take time out of what he's doing in his busy life to do those kinds of things for other people. You want to be around people like that."

Since announcing his impending split from DEI, Earnhardt has had no shortage of suitors. During the past month, he's visited shops and met with team owners such as Childress and Joe Gibbs. The money, the cars and the technology, he said, were the same across the board. What made the difference to Earnhardt was his personal relationship with Hendrick, who's become a confidante, advisor, and friend to the driver in the six and half years since his father was killed.

"It's a huge heart he has," Earnhardt said. "I want that to rub off on me a little bit."

e2mtt
14th June 2007, 03:06
you can't tell me the 500 reminded you of Big E goin through everyone at Dega for his last win :D

30th to 1st in 20 laps, Big E would be proud

Oh come on. Surely you haven't already forgotten how good Jr. is at Talladega... He's still a long way ahead of Harvick, and he's probably gonna stay that way running Hendricks horses.

harvick#1
14th June 2007, 03:10
jr. was good at Dega. ;)

but Harvick was in the same boat Jr. was with how RCR was running, but he stuck it out and they are one of the best teams now

Jonesi
14th June 2007, 03:16
... the maternal heritage...

I think you meant paternal here.
Then again, I'm sure senior was called "mother" a few times but there usually was another word which imediately followed it ;-)

blakebeatty
14th June 2007, 04:41
Look how happy Jr. is. That guy is beaming :)

http://www.teamhendrick.com/images/raceweekend/RW_2007_6_13_RW_2007_06_HMSPC.jpg (http://www.hendrickmotorsports.com/club_gallery.asp)

MD24
14th June 2007, 04:50
Nice pic blakebeatty

Watched the press conference today and Jr. does look very happy :D

Haulin'AssAndTurnin Left
14th June 2007, 13:06
Jr has always been good but DEI have at best been mediocre. Now with Jr in good Equipment i think he will win some races and again challange for a championship. The only reason he stayed at DEI so long was because of the connections to his father, why should he have to put up with second rate equipment. The last 2-3 yrs DEI have looked poor. I say this is good for Jr and will benefit the sport.

dont_be_jack
14th June 2007, 15:41
Dale Jr. said he wanted an owner that cared and he's with one now. People may complain about the money Hendrick spends, but he's passionate and is always in victory lane, often one of the first to congratulate the driver.

blakebeatty
14th June 2007, 15:43
DEI doesn't have a Seven Post Shaker or a Pull Down Rig to set up suspension, but they do have a RECORD LABEL!!!!!!

If they straighten their priorities, they may enjoy some success...

Dick Blom
14th June 2007, 18:04
I think Jr. to HMS is a really good fit, Rick tends towards rather low key, layed back type personalities for drivers, i.e. Jeff, Terry, Jimmy and now Casey, so I think Dale Jr. fits in perfectly in that regard. I don't think he is in the same class of driver as Jeff or Smoke, but it could be just equipment and/or crew chief. But I wonder what the other drivers think about Jr. and Jeff being team mates in the restrictor plate races? It should be fun to watch.

harvick#1
14th June 2007, 18:30
why does Kelly have that look like (do you really want this jr.?)

Sparky1329
14th June 2007, 18:54
DEI doesn't have a Seven Post Shaker or a Pull Down Rig to set up suspension, but they do have a RECORD LABEL!!!!!!

Bingo!

trumperZ06
14th June 2007, 19:39
:D First of all... I hope that Jr. is successful with Hendrick Motorsports. This does offer Jr. what he was looking for... the chance to win the Championship.

;) That said... he/and his fans will no longer have excuses... now that he is given equipment equal to the other team drivers @ Hendrick. Nor will Jr. be considered the team's number 1 driver, which he surely was @ DEI.

Jr. has the opportunity to show that he's capable of winning the Championship... and his racing skill will be displayed competing against drivers who are as good/or better... in equal equipment !!!

Next year will be Interesting !!!

Chandler
14th June 2007, 19:39
The similarities between Rick Hendrick and George Steinbrenner are uncanny. Now they both have a "bought and paid for" team of superstars.

muggle not
14th June 2007, 23:28
Anheuser-Busch Statement Regarding Dale Earnhardt Jr.:

Tony Ponturo, Vice President, Global Media and Sports Marketing Anheuser-Busch, Inc.: "Anheuser-Busch has enjoyed a remarkable relationship with Dale Earnhardt Jr. since our sponsorship commenced back in 1999. Dale Jr. is an excellent ambassador for the sport and our company, and we look forward to exploring options with Hendrick Motorsports and JR Motorsports to continue Budweiser’s relationship with him as he enters this new stage of his racing career." Per Anheuser-Busch policy, there will not be any additional public comments, nor interview requests granted regarding on-going negotiations or contracts. (fingerprintinc/Budwesier PR)

trumperZ06
14th June 2007, 23:37
;) Bud wants to keep Jr. as their spokesman. He fits well with the demographics they market to !!!

harvick#1
15th June 2007, 00:58

I'm thinkin DEI is gonna get alot better now, now that the crybaby is gone, they can get to business, I expect Truex to start doin much better than he is doin now, their COT program is very good and Truex will I believe outshine Jr. who will be in a Hendrick car

muggle not
15th June 2007, 01:33
I'm thinkin DEI is gonna get alot better now, now that the crybaby is gone, they can get to business, I expect Truex to start doin much better than he is doin now, their COT program is very good and Truex will I believe outshine Jr. who will be in a Hendrick car
LMAO, DEI loses 65% of their $$$ worth which will make them better. Especially with an owner that does not attend most of the races and will not spend any money improving the equipment. What driver will bring DEI the money that Jr did with Budweiser.....maybe Biffle who has already lost 3 sponsors. :D :rolleyes:

harvick#1
15th June 2007, 01:51
money doesn't always bring in success ;)

example was F1 in Canada, Sato in a year and a half old underfunded team passed and pulled away from the reigning two-time champ and Mclaren (which has a ton of money and resources and also Toyota (who has the biggest budget in F1).

sometimes a little fire will beat the top teams, DEI will go on without Jr. its already proven, Jr. hasn't won in a calendar year and I thought hes such a great driver. Truex has stepped up to the plate now for DEI and has come out swinging.

Hendrick hasn't looked that great with the Cot (even though they've won, they were very lucky) Gibbs has been the class of the field when it comes to that

MD24
15th June 2007, 02:46
http://www.thatsracin.com/247/story/4858.html

Kyle Busch said Thursday that he has not yet talked with any other race team about where he will drive next season after leaving Hendrick Motorsports at season’s end.
“This is all brand new,” Busch said in an interview on “The Driver’s Seat” on Sirius Satellite Radio. “I haven’t talked or discussed or done anything with any other team.”
Busch will leave his No. 5 Chevrolet ride with Hendrick, a move that made room for Dale Earnhardt Jr. to come to the four-car team for 2008 and beyond.
At Wednesday’s announcement of his deal with Earnhardt Jr., team owner Rick Hendrick said talks over a contract extension with Busch stalled when other owners in the garage started expressing interest in the 22-year-old Busch.
But Busch said he only found out Monday that he would be out and Earnhardt Jr. would be in starting next year.
“It’s tough,” Busch said. “You look forward to the future, that’s what you have to do. I think we can all make the best of it.
“This is all new to me, and having to do it at age 22 is a little more difficult than it might be if I were older and wiser.”
Hendrick said he believed other team owners had tried to pique Busch’s interests by suggesting that he could become the No. 1 driver on their team, as opposed to being on the Hendrick team with Jeff Gordon and Jimmie Johnson.
“That’s not something that I am too interested in,” Busch said.
“The biggest thing I am interested in going wherever I can win races, be up front and contend for championships. That’s the ultimate goal.”
Busch said one reason he left a developmental deal with Roush Racing to sign with Hendrick in the first place was to “get out of the shadow” of his older brother, Kurt, who was then at Roush. Kurt Busch now drives for Penske Racing, and Kyle said he didn’t know if going there would be an option he considers.
“Maybe that wouldn’t be the best scenario to get back into,” he said.

Sparky1329
15th June 2007, 03:24
If Kyle Busch wore out his welcome at HMS he has nobody to blame but himself. Why in the world did neither Busch brother ever learn the concept of humility.

Mark in Oshawa
21st June 2007, 02:58
Intresting situation. Jr. Goes to the superteam of NASCAR so he cant have many excuses now for not winning races. A championship is always a tough thing to win, and with Jimmie and Jeff in the same equipment, it wont be easy, but he should start winning again, which is all any driver can ask for.

For those who think Jr. is overrated, I only point to the fact that until Truex won, it had been years since ANYONE but Jr. won in a DEI car, and I find it VERY strange that Truex all the sudden is competitive and upfront only since Jr. said he was leaving. VERY strange. Maybe a coincedance, but Martin was a good driver 2 years ago and struggling and was not much better last year. Good on Truex for doing well in the aftermath of this situation, but the point remains DEI has only been slowly sliding backwards for a few years, and while they have a good COT program, but we have only had about 8 COT races so far, so this too could change.

The fact remains Jr. is going to a place where he will have emotional support and financial support. At DEI, he had next to none of the former and not as much as he would like of the latter. So he should drive better.

The only thing I didn't see is Hendrick dumping the "Shrub". As big a jerk as Kurt can be, I didn't see Kyle in the same light, and after he won this year, I figured Rick Hendrick would keep him around, but if there was a situation that maybe doomed him, it was when he left the track when the team thrashed on his wrecked car earlier in the year. Who got in the car to tool around and get points? Jr. Proving once again at the track, Jr. is old school, and I think THAT was why Kyle got the boot. The Busch boys are not old school, they are REFORM school at times, and I guess that made Kyle expendable. Funny, when I read that Roush wasn't interested in reacquiring his talents because of the way Kyle bailed on Jack, I chuckled. As talented as Kyle is, he has a remarkable ability to tick off people. When you can get Rick Hendrick and Jack Roush to not work with you, what does THAT say about your personal character?

muggle not
21st June 2007, 12:33
Roush also had experience with Kyle's brother and knew what he would be getting with Kyle. I believe he had enough of the Busch name and figured there are enough other good drivers that he doesn't have to put up with Busch crap. Reminds me of basketball. I would much rather have a Lebron or Shaq than a Kobe or Iverson.

Mark in Oshawa
22nd June 2007, 00:12
Muggle, Kyle bailed on Roush in a manner simliar to what Jeff Gordon did to the Ford camp years ago. He just up and left with no chance to counteroffer when it was assumed his future was set in stone. Roush won his first championship with Kurt (something that eats at me every time I think about it since Martin or Kenseth are more Roush's kind of driver) and when Kyle left, Kurt was still on pretty good terms with the Roush family. When he jumped ship to Hendrick, I think it was a knife in the heart for Jack....

You are right, you want team players in racing and the Busch boys are not always team players. When Kyle walked from that car that his team was busting themselves to fix, and Jr. took it out to get points, that was the nail in the coffin. If I am working on that team, I would see that as a betrayal to bust my @ss to find my driver didn't think we could get it done....

Rapier Racer
24th June 2007, 20:56
Busch will leave his No. 5 Chevrolet ride with Hendrick

Maybe not, I see on Nascar Now Hendrik actually said he wants the 8, I know this rumor has been flying around seems a bit more solid now, like we didn't know already this was gonna happen. if its already been confirmed I apologize this is the first solid evidence I can remember seeing. If DEI gets the 5 and Kyle goes to them :p

I see JR signed a sponsorship deal with Sony