PDA

View Full Version : Vettel Chance To Impress

Stuartf12007
11th June 2007, 19:56
With the unfortunate Kubica looking likley to miss a few grand prix's

How do you think Sebastien Vettel, will do now he gets a chance from Kubica's misfortune?

Harde
11th June 2007, 19:59
Well, the car`s certainly fast, so it`s up to him will he try and give 100% or take it a little easier an use this opportunity to stay safe and most importantly, finish for sure. Top 10 would be possible.

N. Jones
11th June 2007, 20:08
Hopefully very well because he is my third driver in the FGP! :D

Mihai
11th June 2007, 20:09
I'm willing to bet that it won't be Vettel, but Timo Glock who will replace Kubica at least in the US GP. Glock is a mature driver with North American experience (one year in Champ Car) and Indianapolis is no place for rookies.

I say Glock in the US and Vettel in France (Glock has GP2 commitments).

jens
11th June 2007, 21:56
BMW will announce on Thursday that who is going to race at Indy.

And if Vettel gets a chance, then surely it won't be easy for a 20-year-old make a debut in such situation, when his team-mate has just suffered a huge crash. But how might he do? Kubica was impressive last year at Friday practices and when he got the chance to race, he showed his speed immediately. Vettel also impressed on Fridays last year, so I think he might be even pretty quick - considering the competitiveness of BMW, then at least points should be achievable.

stevie_gerrard
11th June 2007, 22:15
If Vettewl gets the opportunity, i think he will do well, he's been really good in testing and friday practice, this is a good chance to show what he can do :up:

futuretiger9
11th June 2007, 22:16
I'm willing to bet that it won't be Vettel, but Timo Glock who will replace Kubica at least in the US GP. Glock is a mature driver with North American experience (one year in Champ Car) and Indianapolis is no place for rookies.

I say Glock in the US and Vettel in France (Glock has GP2 commitments).

Although Vettel may appear to be the logical, long-term choice, it would not surprise me if they opted for the more experienced Glock, just for Indy.

Stuartf12007
11th June 2007, 22:20
I hope they choose Vettel as he is the first reserve driver.

I can see him being very compettive straight away.

Allyc85
11th June 2007, 22:27
well Kubica drove himself home from hospital today and feels fine with no pain, so I think hel be ok for indy.

Mickey T
11th June 2007, 22:46
Glock is a mature driver with North American experience (one year in Champ Car) and Indianapolis is no place for rookies.

errr, Hamilton is a rookie...

BeansBeansBeans
11th June 2007, 22:48
Hamilton has re-written the rulebook on rookie performance. From now on, drivers new to F1 will be expected to deliver immediately. Gone are the days when they'd be given a year or two to 'bed in'. We're already seeing the effect of this on poor Heikki Kovalainen.

Ian McC
11th June 2007, 23:41
well Kubica drove himself home from hospital today and feels fine with no pain, so I think hel be ok for indy.

Time will tell, no doubt he will be checked out over the next few days to see if everything is ok.

RushF1
12th June 2007, 00:37

Absolutely astounding. I read that story and could not believe it. Incredible.

Clown8
12th June 2007, 21:22
I don't think that Dr. Mario will choose Vettel, for european circuit maybe he will be a worthy replacement, but as for the Indy track, i think BMW needs someone with more experience, but who is available ? Robert Dornbos, which is doing very well in Champcar, but don't think Red Bull will let him drive.
Villeneuve maybe ???....nah...also he is training for le mans this weekend.
any ideas ???...

truefan72
12th June 2007, 21:42
Vettel hopefully,
We all know what we will get from Timo glock ( just like we knew what we would get from PDLR)

Vellet on the other hand might surprise a few people and even challange Heidfeld a bit.

Yes Indy has a few technical parts, but the two straights lend well to BMW's power and a young raw driver willing to prove something.

go Vettel

Mihai
12th June 2007, 22:14

Astonishing! Though I think he's seriously shaken and that BMW will sideline him for at least one race.

They use sports psychologists and they won't take any chances by putting in the race seat a driver that suffered a sick looking crash one week before.

Somebody
12th June 2007, 23:09
They use sports psychologists and they won't take any chances by putting in the race seat a driver that suffered a sick looking crash one week before.

Or, if he is fit to drive, they might take the opposite view - suggesting that to sideline him when he's fit and capable might risk undermining his confidence.

If it was a test this week, and he's physically all right to drive, I'd say they'd make damn sure to get him in the car. As it is, if they've got the option they'll probably trial him on Friday morning before making a final decision.

stevie_gerrard
13th June 2007, 00:28
Doesn't Vettel have commitments to the World Series this weekend as well though? Or some series, one of my friends was telling me about it today.

jso1985
13th June 2007, 02:21
Kubica probably wants to race, but I'm not sure the team would let him, afterall his confidence must be at 0 right now.
I think(and I hope) Glock will get the drive, Vettel looks a bit too unexperience to debut at such complicated track

ioan
13th June 2007, 09:33
If it was a test this week, and he's physically all right to drive, I'd say they'd make damn sure to get him in the car. As it is, if they've got the option they'll probably trial him on Friday morning before making a final decision.

Can't do that, drivers for the week end have to be announced before Thursday at 16:00.

call_me_andrew
14th June 2007, 03:20
I don't see why Kubica couldn't race. It's just a concussion and a sprain.

Valve Bounce
14th June 2007, 04:17
When I saw the accident on my tape, my first impression was that his head received one terrible shaking, and I am surprised that he is not suffering concussion. I am, therefore, very surprised that he would consider driving an F1 car, let alone racing one, just one week later.

mirek01
14th June 2007, 07:16
Can't do that, drivers for the week end have to be announced before Thursday at 16:00.

They will name 2 race drivers and one reserve,so they can go on friday in 1st practise with Heidfeld and Kubica and if it something wrong with Kubica they can send reserve driver (Vettel or Glock) on 2nd practise.

Valve Bounce
14th June 2007, 07:53
Anything can happen in F1 and it usually does. :p :

wmcot
14th June 2007, 08:36
errr, Hamilton is a rookie...

We need to find a new term - rookie just doesn't describe Hamilton. I don't think he has ever been a "rookie"!

On topic, I hope Kubica races if he is fit. He's a top driver in my book! If not, Glock has some Indy experience but I don't know how fast he is in an F1 car. Vettel is an unknown to me, but could be a pleasant surprise. Indy isn't the most difficult track as far as being technical, but the speed is a challenge.

truefan72
14th June 2007, 19:51
looks like Glock would be his stand in

N. Jones
14th June 2007, 21:31
grandprix.com is stating that Kubica is out for the USGP and S. Vettel will take his place.

N. Jones
14th June 2007, 21:32
autosport.com is reporting the same thing.

jens
14th June 2007, 22:01
Although Vettel is one of my favourite drivers among all motorsport categories, then that clearly isn't the way I looked forward to see him making his F1 debut. To the last moment I hoped that Robert can participate at the US Grand Prix.

But as this is not going to happen, then good luck to Sebastian and may he impress the F1 world already on his Grand Prix debut to enlarge his hopes of securing a race driver seat for next year (Red Bull? Toro Rosso?)! :up:

N. Jones
14th June 2007, 22:05
I think it was best to not let Kubica race. If it had been a normal two-week layoff between GP's then I think he would have been given the okay.

Iif he does well maybe I can move up a little in the FGP standings!

Trqster
14th June 2007, 22:05
I'm sure Vettel will do a fine job for his 1st F1 race, but don't expect him to perform at an Hamilton-type level.

Big Ben
14th June 2007, 22:15
I understand he´s 19... isn´t this a record??

call_me_andrew
14th June 2007, 22:37
He's 22. The youngest driver right now is Nico Rosberg at 21 (he'll be 22 in about 2 weeks).

andreag
14th June 2007, 22:38
I understand he´s 19... isn´t this a record??
No; this Sunday he'll be 19 years, 349 days old (born on July 3rd, 1987). He'll be sixth younger driver to start a race.

This is the current chart:

1.- Mike Thackwell. 19 years, 182 days (1980).
2.- Ricardo Rodríguez. 19 years, 208 days (1961).
3.- Fernando Alonso. 19 years, 218 days (2001).
4.- Esteban Tuero. 19 years, 320 days (1998).
5.- Chris Amon. 19 years, 324 days (1963).
6.- Eddie Cheever. 20 years, 53 days (1978).
6.- Jenson Button. 20 years, 53 days (2000).
8.- Tarso Marques. 20 years, 72 days (1996).
9.- Troy Ruttman. 20 years, 60 days (1950).
10.- Peter Collins. 20 years, 194 days (1952).

jens
14th June 2007, 22:41
Vettel has born on July 3rd in 1987, so yes - he still is 19 years old. But Vettel is still not the youngest - Thackwell was younger.

Somebody
15th June 2007, 00:33
I don't see why Kubica couldn't race. It's just a concussion and a sprain.

Well, it seems that the FIA banned Kubica from the race after a doctor's examination, so it wasn't BMW Sauber's choice.

Presumably, they're a bit worried about the risk of compounding the concussion (a second concussion shortly after the first, even if neither is especially serious in and of themselves, can be more serious than a single biggish concussion) rather than about his ability to race in and of itself.

VkmSpouge
15th June 2007, 01:02
Good luck to Sebastian Vettel on his first Formula 1 race.

call_me_andrew
15th June 2007, 03:45
No; this Sunday he'll be 19 years, 349 days old (born on July 3rd, 1987). He'll be sixth younger driver to start a race.

This is the current chart:

1.- Mike Thackwell. 19 years, 182 days (1980).
2.- Ricardo Rodríguez. 19 years, 208 days (1961).
3.- Fernando Alonso. 19 years, 218 days (2001).
4.- Esteban Tuero. 19 years, 320 days (1998).
5.- Chris Amon. 19 years, 324 days (1963).
6.- Eddie Cheever. 20 years, 53 days (1978).
6.- Jenson Button. 20 years, 53 days (2000).
8.- Tarso Marques. 20 years, 72 days (1996).
9.- Troy Ruttman. 20 years, 60 days (1950).
10.- Peter Collins. 20 years, 194 days (1952).

Oh, I thought we were talking about Kubica. :p

Ranger
15th June 2007, 07:04
Fortunately Kubica is young and has always shown strong pace in races, so I don't think Dr Mario is likely to turf him like JV.

wmcot
15th June 2007, 07:10
Unless Vettel puts in a "Hamilton-like" performance, I don't think Kubica has anything to worry about. I do hope he does well and other teams watch his performance. This could launch his career.

janneppi
15th June 2007, 12:27
Vettel doesn't get Kubica's race engineer since apparently the Iranian born Mehmi Ahmadi didn't get a visa to US.

aryan
15th June 2007, 16:26
Vettel doesn't get Kubica's race engineer since apparently the Iranian born Mehmi Ahmadi didn't get a visa to US.

US's action shows very poor taste. Not to give a race engineer the visa just because he is Iranian? :confused:

Mehdi Ahmadi (I'm sure "Mehmi" is a typo; I should know, I speak the language) should get his head out of his a** and get a second passport quick. Poor guy...

andreag
15th June 2007, 16:41
Back to topic, Vettel is doing a good job on P1. He's been 4th, 0.478 secs slower then Heidfeld (2nd), and faster than both Ferraris (though this isn't news nowadays).

rohanweb
15th June 2007, 16:44
Goodluck to Vettel...

jens
15th June 2007, 20:03
He was fast already last year on Fridays. Hopefully he can carry that speed into qualifying and race. :bounce:

Stuartf12007
15th June 2007, 23:10
Best of luck to Vettel.

truefan72
16th June 2007, 01:21
US's action shows very poor taste. Not to give a race engineer the visa just because he is Iranian? :confused:

Mehdi Ahmadi (I'm sure "Mehmi" is a typo; I should know, I speak the language) should get his head out of his a** and get a second passport quick. Poor guy...

Hey. it' isn't his fault that the Dept. of State is so F^%# up!
He should stick to his proud heritage and continue to do his good work with BMW.

It is sad but not surprising. Sporting figures should be exempt from such antics. THe US should be refused to hold international events until these incidents stop.

OK back to Vettel . I though that they would use Timo based on the Thursday press tour, but am very happy that they went with my choice of Vettel. And it is already paying divident for them. I will be rooting for him to do well on Saturday and sunday.

I dare say that based on this performace, he could possibly book himslef a good seat somewhere next year. ( probably at Red Bull or Toyota)

Ranger
16th June 2007, 01:29
Perhaps he might inject some life into the Toyota squad, should Ralf leave. The guy has potential, but on the whole, Vettel is unproven as he hasn't raced. But I'm sure a handful of teams will have one eye for Mr V. in their future plans.

ShiftingGears
16th June 2007, 01:31
Hey. it' isn't his fault that the Dept. of State is so F^%# up!
He should stick to his proud heritage and continue to do his good work with BMW.

It is sad but not surprising. EVERYONE should be exempt from such antics. THe US should be refused to hold international events until these incidents stop.

OK back to Vettel . I though that they would use Timo based on the Thursday press tour, but am very happy that they went with my choice of Vettel. And it is already paying divident for them. I will be rooting for him to do well on Saturday and sunday.

I dare say that based on this performace, he could possibly book himslef a good seat somewhere next year. ( probably at Red Bull or Toyota)

Fixed it.

Valve Bounce
16th June 2007, 03:19

Very interesting that you said that. I found a carpet restorer yesterday in Melbourne and he is a Hazari from Mazar-E-Sharif (hope my spelling is correct). He escaped the Taliban, was freed from Woomera through the good work of his case worker, and somehow found someone to set up a carpet shop for him in High St Malvern. He has read the Kite Runner, and his own book will be published in September.

Perhaps, Mehdi Ahmadi would like to migrate to Melbourne - we are short of Grand Prix race engineers in Australia.

As for Vettel, I hope he does well; he lapped almost the same time as Heidfeld, and if he can stay on the black stuff and score a point or two, that would be fantastic for him.

aryan
16th June 2007, 04:38
Very interesting that you said that. I found a carpet restorer yesterday in Melbourne and he is a Hazari from Mazar-E-Sharif (hope my spelling is correct). He escaped the Taliban, was freed from Woomera through the good work of his case worker, and somehow found someone to set up a carpet shop for him in High St Malvern. He has read the Kite Runner, and his own book will be published in September.

At the price of going off topic, I would like to continue this duscussion as I find it very interesting.

There are lots of such stories abound. Kite-runner, as good a story as it is, is nothing but a tip of an iceberg.

As to my American friend who said it's not his fault that the US Department of State is fu**ked up, I'm sure he is right, but I am afraid the outside world will not view this and many similar actions as Department of State's fault, rather as "US actions" in general. These actions unfortunately have much broader implications, the state of anti-american feeling in the muslim world being a prime example of that.

It's such a sad state of affairs, just a couple of decades ago, US was known as the land of the free, and the dream destination for any aspirant entrepreneur who wanted to achieve something in his/her life.

jens
16th June 2007, 12:33
Perhaps he might inject some life into the Toyota squad, should Ralf leave. The guy has potential, but on the whole, Vettel is unproven as he hasn't raced. But I'm sure a handful of teams will have one eye for Mr V. in their future plans.

Hopefully not Toyota! I would not like to see two of my favorites to struggle in the same team. :( My wish is to see Vettel at Red Bull next year, which means that either DC or Webber has to leave. You decide, which one. :p :

Garry Walker
16th June 2007, 12:45
When I saw the accident on my tape, my first impression was that his head received one terrible shaking, and I am surprised that he is not suffering concussion. I am, therefore, very surprised that he would consider driving an F1 car, let alone racing one, just one week later.

He actually did have a concussion, albeit a slight one, but that is the reason why he isnt driving in this race.

d but not surprising. Sporting figures should be exempt from such antics. THe US should be refused to hold international events until these incidents stop.

yeah, imagine that. USA trying to protect their country from crazy muslims who want to blow them up and kill them. Hung the Americans at once :rolleyes:

yeah, the drivers are really the biggest problem for Toyota and putting a 19 year old kid would at once solve their problems with aero and engine power (losing 10 kph on straigh at Indy to other cars, but noooo thats because Ralf and Trulli dont know how to push the throttle pedal)

Valve Bounce
16th June 2007, 12:55
Hopefully not Toyota! I would not like to see two of my favorites to struggle in the same team. :( My wish is to see Vettel at Red Bull next year, which means that either DC or Webber has to leave. You decide, which one. :p :

Why not kick them both out and put two rookies in, and pump the newbies full of Red Bull? That would make them fly. :p :

FIA
16th June 2007, 13:10
Vetel will get in top 10, just like Kubica.

Valve Bounce
16th June 2007, 14:20
Let's hope so!

Valve Bounce
16th June 2007, 16:11
Sedond fastest in sat morning prac

jens
16th June 2007, 19:34
His performance in quali wasn't an incredible one, but he did quite well considering his experience and youth. :up:

race aficionado
16th June 2007, 19:48
19 year old Vettell.

Impressive.

I'm rooting for him too.

:s mokin:

truefan72
16th June 2007, 19:49
Fixed it.

accepted

truefan72
16th June 2007, 19:56
He actually did have a concussion, albeit a slight one, but that is the reason why he isnt driving in this race.

yeah, imagine that. USA trying to protect their country from crazy muslims who want to blow them up and kill them. Hung the Americans at once :rolleyes:

I don't want to go off topic here, but your comments show a lack of understanding of the problem. I suggest we stick to the racing comments before this get's political. Bottom line, a vital race engineer is missing, but vettel managed to hold his own.

Valve Bounce
16th June 2007, 23:57
19 year old Vettell.

Impressive.

I'm rooting for him too.

Me too :up:

Considering the drivers who qualified in front of him, Vettel did a great job in quals.

Now for the race.

aryan
17th June 2007, 07:56
His performance in quali wasn't an incredible one, but he did quite well considering his experience and youth. :up:

I thought it was very impressive. A teenager in his first F1 Grand Prix, surely he withstood the qualifying test.

What did you expect of him, to beat Quick Nick with 110+ Grand Prix experiences?

Racing might be were his lack of experience will show though.

wmcot
17th June 2007, 08:17
Great job in his first race outing in F1! Let's hope he can do well in the race.

(My daughter says that his picture on PitPass reminds her of Napoleon Dynamite :) )

Valve Bounce
17th June 2007, 10:07
Great job in his first race outing in F1! Let's hope he can do well in the race.

(My daughter says that his picture on PitPass reminds her of Napoleon Dynamite :) )

He looks like one of the kids in Star Wars. ;)

jens
17th June 2007, 12:07
I thought it was very impressive. A teenager in his first F1 Grand Prix, surely he withstood the qualifying test.

What did you expect of him, to beat Quick Nick with 110+ Grand Prix experiences?

Racing might be were his lack of experience will show though.

By "incredible performance" I meant beating or matching Heidfeld. :p : Hamilton's performances have set the bar really high. And btw, Kubica managed to outqualify Heidfeld in his first qualifying last year - in Hungary. So I guess that's why expectations are as high as they are. As there are so many young talented rookies in F1 or joining the series in short future, it's needed to make a real impression straightaway to get a good seat for the future. But I'm afraid that 0,5 seconds slower than Heidfeld in Q2 may not convince some team managers (especially Red Bull's). :\

ShiftingGears
17th June 2007, 12:28
His age is the only thing going for him at the moment...but he'll improve, and how much and how quickly he does that will result in whether or not these races get him a race seat for next season. Looking at last years autosport it seems everyone was drooling about Kubica, with poll results saying that the 3rd most number of people said that he was the fastest driver of the season. And he hasn't really improved on last year, not more than Heidfeld anyway.

Dave B
17th June 2007, 19:45
That was a hard-earned and well deserved point from Vetel :up:

Mihai
17th June 2007, 20:11
Isn't he the youngest points scorer ever (beating Button's record from 2000) ?

truefan72
17th June 2007, 20:12
solid result

jens
17th June 2007, 20:12
It looked like his inexperience cost him at the start. He was too optimistic in braking into Turn1, but after that he gradually started finding his confidence and speed, lapping quite quickly in the second half of the race. His fastest lap was 6th best. :up:

race aficionado
17th June 2007, 20:26
He got his chance and he made the best of it.

Good for him.

only 19 years of age . . . . pretty darn cool.

stevie_gerrard
17th June 2007, 22:39
Isn't he the youngest points scorer ever (beating Button's record from 2000) ?

He is indeed now the youngest points scorer in F1 History, a good performance, took advantage of some reliability problems for Rosberg and Heidfeld, but did a solid job for his debut. an F1 drive awaits for him :up:

aryan
18th June 2007, 05:20
His inexperience cost him at the start, but can we really blame him?

Solid race and well deserved point. Even if not in 2008, he will certainly be on the grid in 2009.

wmcot
18th June 2007, 05:45
It was a great result for Vettel! Being his first and only F1 race, I think he can only improve. The future of F1 looks interesting with the rookies coming in, especially now that Kovalainnen is getting solid results, too. If it wasn't for Lewis this year, these 2 would be looking pretty impressive!

Hondo
18th June 2007, 08:46
I was expecting a solid 6th from him, not a lucky 8th. But 8th and 1 point is better than nothing. BMW had better start getting both cars across the finish line in the points if they intend to hold 3rd place in the constructors championship.

Valve Bounce
18th June 2007, 10:49
He did great. Good job, kid. Someone mentioned that he is the youngest driver ever to score any points in F1. However, coming in from test driver duties, it must have been even more difficult. Test drivers seldom if ever get the opportunity to run hot laps, or pit stops for refuelling, or even race starts.

aryan
18th June 2007, 12:09
I was expecting a solid 6th from him, not a lucky 8th. But 8th and 1 point is better than nothing. BMW had better start getting both cars across the finish line in the points if they intend to hold 3rd place in the constructors championship.

The Hamilton Effect: When you expect a teenager in his first F1 Grand Prix to score a solid 6th.

Flat.tyres
18th June 2007, 14:31
well done. great effort and well deserved point.

perhaps he could replace Ralf at toyota.

Hondo
18th June 2007, 16:02
Hmmmmm. To clarify my statement, I should have said I expected Vettel/BMW as a soild 6th place. I expected Vettel to lose a few places on the start but thought the BMW would have the to power to bring him back to 6th place. I did not intend to fault Vettel. BMW needs to quicken their development if they want to stay in 3rd place in the constructors race.

Mickey T
18th June 2007, 16:02
i actually thought he did a pretty smart thing at the start.

there was a bit of a freeze in front of him, looking through his in-car, and throwing it onto the grass meant he got to fight another day.

quite mature for a 19 year old.

and he´s a nice kid