PDA

View Full Version : WRC Candidate events

MJW
9th June 2007, 12:57
So far we have had Norway which seemed a very good event, but now we see some little problem with finance. (My favoured choice of all the candidates, so I am biased - snow rules!)
Then came Portugal - all in all I think it was good reports, but with the unfortunate accident in shakedown. Jordan was recced by Petter and Sordo, so I guess there is a positive future for that event, expect perhaps for the "middle east situation"
Poland has seen a fatality of a spectator on the shakedown rally this weekend & Guy Frequelin has stated that in his opinion Ireland does not deserve a permanent WRC slot, and finally South Afric withdraws its bid before the event ran. I'm just wondering if the reality of running WRC events may not match the dreams and aspirations of the organisers.

Priorat
10th June 2007, 10:01
[quote="MJW"] Guy Frequelin has stated that in his opinion Ireland does not deserve a permanent WRC slot,

Why?
Ireland has one of the best national championships and it seems they have a different kind of surface.

pino
10th June 2007, 12:13
Bring back Sanremo now !!! :D

J4MIE
10th June 2007, 23:00
I think the problem with the Ireland event will be how busy it is and I'm not sure the roads will be able to cope with the amount of traffic :s

J4MIE
10th June 2007, 23:11
...although I wouldn't mind Sanremo ;)

Simmi
12th June 2007, 23:11
Yeah Im nervous about stage cancellations in Ireland I hope they can pull it off.

animrallye
14th June 2007, 11:08
:bounce: ;)

jonkka
14th June 2007, 14:00

I don't think series is called Mediterranean Championship. Wider the geographical spread, the more World Championship it is (though travelling costs won't allow that).

JAM
14th June 2007, 14:03
I don't think series is called Mediterranean Championship. Wider the geographical spread, the more World Championship it is (though travelling costs won't allow that).

Sanremo replacing Sardinia.

jonkka
14th June 2007, 14:14
Sanremo replacing Sardinia.

And how likely is that as long as Ireland stays in? Ratio of tarmac to gravel would get too high in the championship. Also bearing in mind that San Remo had problems with crowd control which got worse with cloverleaf format and repeated stages, running an event in densely populated Liguria doesn't sound appealing. However, classic that it was and Sardinia being yet one of hot-rough-mediterranean-gravel I wouldn't mind though this year's Sardegna was pretty good route-wise.

JAM
14th June 2007, 14:47
And how likely is that as long as Ireland stays in? Ratio of tarmac to gravel would get too high in the championship. Also bearing in mind that San Remo had problems with crowd control which got worse with cloverleaf format and repeated stages, running an event in densely populated Liguria doesn't sound appealing. However, classic that it was and Sardinia being yet one of hot-rough-mediterranean-gravel I wouldn't mind though this year's Sardegna was pretty good route-wise.

Well, i don't know if around Sanremo area there a lot of gravel roads.

jonkka
14th June 2007, 18:12
Well, i don't know if around Sanremo area there a lot of gravel roads.

Do you refer "new" San Remo being either mixed surface or full gravel event? I am not familiar with roads around San Remo but back when it was still mixed surface event (before 1997), the tarmac bit was around San Remo itself and gravel roads were in Tuscany, between San Remo and Pisa. With remote servicing again allowed, it might be doable but I reckon that as high fantasy.

Jarek Z
16th June 2007, 19:15
Hi guys! I visited Rally Poland, a WRC candidate event, the last weekend. It was a very good event, despite the fact that one of the spectators died on the shakedown (but he was standing in a forbidden zone). There was a fantastic battle between Oscar Svedlund and Krzysztof Holowczyc for the final win!
Take a look at my photos at http://www.rallyonline.pl/g.php?1&pg_[order]=id&pg_[desc]=+DESC&modex=pokaz&T[id]=2340