PDA

View Full Version : I just got a FIAT!!!!!

Brown, Jon Brow
5th June 2007, 20:17
Pre - registered Grande Punto 1.2 Active 3door.

http://www.smartlease.co.uk/fiat-grande-punto.jpg

I think it's by far the best looking new small car.

luvracin
5th June 2007, 20:56
Nice.

Is that your first car?

GridGirl
5th June 2007, 22:24
Kids of today eh? What happened to driving a knackered old car, no power steering, no air con, no fun gadgets, no beeping noises to warn you when you dont turn the lights off etc. as a first car?

Hope you enjoy the freedon of owning your own car, but you really don't need to go everywhere in it. :p

tannat
5th June 2007, 22:36
Looks pretty sweet, JB :up:

If it does indeed have a 1.2 you should be able to drive the bejesus out of it without alarming the law :D

Brown, Jon Brow
5th June 2007, 22:56
Kids of today eh? What happened to driving a knackered old car, no power steering, no air con, no fun gadgets, no beeping noises to warn you when you dont turn the lights off etc. as a first car?

Yep it's my 1st car, cost around £6,500. With nearly no milage, its about £1000 less than the list price. It's quite well equipped with power steering, electric windows, CD player, ABS, 5 star safety rating ( although no Air con or Alloys :p )

Looks pretty sweet, JB :up:

If it does indeed have a 1.2 you should be able to drive the bejesus out of it without alarming the law :D

:laugh: I'll let you know it has a mighty 68bhp :erm:

jim mcglinchey
5th June 2007, 22:58
Nice one, we were seriously considering one but I dont know if they're available with automatic.

Mark
6th June 2007, 08:37
Very nice indeed! I always thought the old Punto looked very cheap indeed, but I have to admit FIAT seem to have done a good job with the new one.

Only one thing is that it doesn't have air con, if there is one optional extra that is always well worth the money, it's air conditioning, it's worth every penny. Wor lass didn't think she would like having A/C in her car but I convinced her to get it and now she says she'd never even consider a car without it.

Jim, Mostly for small cars you have to go to the top model if you want Auto, is there any reason why a manual is no good for you?

A Scotsman
6th June 2007, 09:42
My wife had an original Punto .... Went like a scalded cat but the thing that got me was that it had the most amazing brakes..

But how about the forthcoming Fiat 500 Abarth? That looks like a mean little beast..

555-04Q2
6th June 2007, 10:34

No one makes good looking cars anymore, except Aston Martin :( Pedestrian safety regs and aerodynamic efficiency killed the car designers :down:

555-04Q2
6th June 2007, 10:35
P.S. Congrats on the new car :up:

Donney
6th June 2007, 10:43
Beautiful car I completely agree with you the looks are frankly astonishing. I hope it performs accordingly to its aspect. Congrats and enjoy it!!!! :up:

MadCat
6th June 2007, 10:58
woah this is getting more and more freaky every time. Firstly, both Jon and I took our theory tests around the same time, we're taking (or taken in Jon's case) our practical tests around the same time and now we both own Fiats. Admittedly, Jon's is better than mine (I have a Seicento).

Congrats on the new car, v.nice! :up:

pino
6th June 2007, 11:04
Pre - registered Grande Punto 1.2 Active 3door.

http://www.smartlease.co.uk/fiat-grande-punto.jpg

Congrats mate :D I rented a similar one in Rome months ago and I was positive surprised by this car, especially the handling :up:

jim mcglinchey
6th June 2007, 14:09
Jim, Mostly for small cars you have to go to the top model if you want Auto, is there any reason why a manual is no good for you?

Yeah, my Doris did her test in an auto so is restricted to autos, but I enjoy driving her old Punto auto and thats what I'd opt for.

Woodeye
6th June 2007, 18:18
That's a nice looking car. Haven't drove one, but it looks good.

I have to admit that when I was driving a Fiat Croma few weeks ago, I was astonished. The car was superb.

And the new Bravo is a great looking piece of metal also.
http://static.blogo.it/autoblog/fiat_bravo_uff_big_01.jpg

What has happened to Fiat?! :)

janneppi
6th June 2007, 18:37
[/url]

What has happened to Fiat?! :)
They've began copying Maserati's :)

schmenke
6th June 2007, 20:21
Kids of today eh? What happened to driving a knackered old car, no power steering, no air con, no fun gadgets, no beeping noises to warn you when you dont turn the lights off etc. ...

I'm still driving one... :erm: :bigcry: :D

Anyways, well done B,JB :up:

tannat
7th June 2007, 05:15
:laugh: I'll let you know it has a mighty 68bhp :erm:

Yes, but how much does it weigh?

Does the acronym carry the same meaning across the pond that it does here?

F.I.A.T.
Fix It Again Tony :laugh:

Iain
7th June 2007, 06:58
Nice car. Keep that for a few years, then step up to the Abarth. :D

Brown, Jon Brow
7th June 2007, 08:41
Yes, but how much does it weigh?

Does the acronym carry the same meaning across the pond that it does here?

F.I.A.T.
Fix It Again Tony :laugh:

Weight? *cough* wrong side of a tonne :o

Even if it does break it has a 3 year warranty ;)

Brown, Jon Brow
12th June 2007, 10:29
I took it out for it's first spin last night.

I was very impressed. :up:

Handling is superb and it is very comfortable. The 'City' steering function makes tight maneuvers easy as pie.

The engine is a lot different to the diesels I have been driving. You need to give it lots of revs to maintain momentum. However your right tannat, I can drive with my right foot flat and not raise any suspicion ;)

Mark
12th June 2007, 10:35
That's how I drive my Fiesta, throttle flat to the floor a lot of the time, if I ever get a more powerful car I'm going to have to change my driving style :p

GridGirl
12th June 2007, 10:39
How many hill starts have you done in a petrol car Jon? Thats the worse thing about swapping from Diesels to Petrol cars.

Awww Mark, I'll lend you my stripes if you want. ;)

Brown, Jon Brow
12th June 2007, 10:52
How many hill starts have you done in a petrol car Jon? Thats the worse thing about swapping from Diesels to Petrol cars.

Awww Mark, I'll lend you my stripes if you want. ;)

I did a couple yesterday, on one of them I thought I had it in 1st gear but when I released the handbrake it rolled back. For some reason first hadn't engaged :s :o Haven't stalled yet though!

Hill starts were very easy in my mums Scenic because it has an automatic electric handbrake. It releases when the clutch bites. In can catch you out though when it releases and you don't want it to..

Mark
12th June 2007, 11:03
Well I've got a petrol car and hill starts are easy :p . Plus, I never use the handbrake except when I'm parked. You should practice hill starts without using the handbrake, it's fun.

Brown, Jon Brow
12th June 2007, 11:05
Well I've got a petrol car and hill starts are easy :p . Plus, I never use the handbrake except when I'm parked. You should practice hill starts without using the handbrake, it's fun.

Should I do that on my driving test? :dozey:

Mark
12th June 2007, 11:18
Save it for the drive home :p

GridGirl
12th June 2007, 11:40
Course they are easy when you've been driving the same car for a couple of years :p

I never balance the clutch, makes my leg hurt when I do that. :s

Daniel
12th June 2007, 12:23
That's how I drive my Fiesta, throttle flat to the floor a lot of the time, if I ever get a more powerful car I'm going to have to change my driving style :p
That's the thing I like about my 406. You don't need to thrash it for it to go when you're driving around town. Just get it above 2000 rpm and put your foot down a bit and the turbo kicks in and does all the work :D

You SHOULD use your handbrake when doing hillstarts. Keeping it hanging with clutch and throttle control is fun but you're slipping the clutch and slipping the clutch isn't a good thing to be doing for any extended period of time. Yes you can do it without doing too much damage to the clutch by using the footbrake and being quick with the clutch and throttle but if you're only new to driving just use the handbrake as it's a lot easier on the car :)

Mark
12th June 2007, 13:06
You SHOULD use your handbrake when doing hillstarts. Keeping it hanging with clutch and throttle control is fun but you're slipping the clutch and slipping the clutch isn't a good thing to be doing for any extended period of time.

Quite right, which is why I never do that.

Yes you can do it without doing too much damage to the clutch by using the footbrake and being quick with the clutch and throttle

You don't have to be that quick, you've usually got a good few tenths of a second to move your feet before the car starts rolling backwards (depeding on the slope), more than enough time.

Daniel
12th June 2007, 14:40
Quick for a learner is slow for us ;) No offence to Jon but he's at the stage where he's still trying not to crash into stuff :)

Brown, Jon Brow
12th June 2007, 17:02
Quick for a learner is slow for us ;) No offence to Jon but he's at the stage where he's still trying not to crash into stuff :)

Hey :laugh:

Took the beast for a ride through some country lanes today. The short wheel-base and accurate steering inspires confidence through the turns. However, being a country lane, it got dirty :bigcry: :bigcry:

Zico
12th June 2007, 17:49
But how about the forthcoming Fiat 500 Abarth? That looks like a mean little beast..

Yep.. sure does.. Did you know that 2 of ferraris top Designer/engineers were posted to Fiat to help with their flagging image after the last Punto? The 1st car they worked their magic on was none other than the new Panda 100HP which is getting rave reviews.. the 2nd will be the new Fiat 500 Abarth, should be a rocket..

Very nice for a 1st car Jon..

JoCoLo
14th June 2007, 17:54
I had a Multipla for a few years and it was nearly faultless. Just an airbag warning light fixed under warranty. I hear a lot worse for new German cars.

Scuderia ferrari
14th June 2007, 19:58
Nice car- that's one of my favorite Fiat models! The multipla on the other hand i detest, makes me feel sick when i see one

Daniel
16th June 2007, 15:55
Hey :laugh:

Took the beast for a ride through some country lanes today. The short wheel-base and accurate steering inspires confidence through the turns. However, being a country lane, it got dirty :bigcry: :bigcry:
Nothing personal. It's just that even though i've been driving for 6 years now I still occasionally get surprised or stuff something up when I'm driving :)

Drew
16th June 2007, 21:23
Christ almighty, that's a nice first car!

I thought the new Punto looked a bit nice, since that advert campaign and since seeing on the road.