PDA

View Full Version : Surprising drivers of the season

ShiftingGears
5th June 2007, 07:39
Definitely Hamilton - he's hit the ground running on whats probably the best car on the grid, despite being a rookie.

Also Massa - better at Kimi in qualifying, and now it doesn't matter so much about what happens in your race as long as you get pole (this is true of the Ferraris being fast except when behind another car).
Barrichello and DC - I thought they were both past it but DC has had some stirring drives this season and Barrichellos beaten Button constantly this season. I think they'll both be in for 2008, meaning that Barrichello will beat Patrese's record, which would be quite an achievement! I think they're both highly motivated, perhaps in DC's case because RB have a stronger car, or because of wanting to beat Webber as a teammate.
In Barrichellos case it's probably the best car for him to show his talent, in a way. I think if it was a stable car that needed more precision and less balls, I think he'd be gone almost certainly for 2008. But he's beaten his teammate so far quite convincingly (5-0), which is a surprise.

Also looking at headlines from last year, Kubica was seen as one of the fastest drivers on the grid, and there hasn't been much talk about that this season, thanks in no small part to Heidfeld. In the first 3 grands prix Heidfeld beat at least one car from a better team, and was very impressive.

Who's surprised you?

Viv
5th June 2007, 08:20
Hamilton - He's much better than I thought he would be.
DC to an extent and Button for doing as badly as he is now.
None of the others have done better/worse than I thought

F1boat
5th June 2007, 08:58
Massa and Hamilton definetly surprised me, as well as Heidfeld.

Donney
5th June 2007, 10:21
Hamilton, undoubtedly
Alonso, it seems it was not such a stupid move to McLaren
DC, definitely showing experience counts
Masa, better than last year, very consistent.

leopard
5th June 2007, 10:43
surprisingly good:
Hamilton
Massa
BMW

surprisingly bad:
Honda :p :

jens
5th June 2007, 11:02
As the topic is about surprising drivers...

I rated Hamilton quite highly already before the start of the season, but I didn't believe he would start matching Alonso straightaway at the start of his F1 career.

I also expected Albers to beat Sutil and the way, how the young German is gradually establishing himself as a team leader, is amazing. So Sutil has been a positive and Albers a negative surprise.

Some have highlighted Barrichello, although I guess that with the switch to Bridgestones and given a poor car (where Button struggles), it was expected that he would be a lot bigger threat to Jenson than last year, but his consistency in beating Button has nevertheless been remarkable. If the car gets better in the second half of the season, then we'll see whether JB can become faster than RB or not.

Btw, Massa hasn't been a surprise to me (and he also wasn't last year) - I have believed in his abilities for some time by now...

BeansBeansBeans
5th June 2007, 11:19
What has surprised me is Massa's superiority. I genuinely believed that Kimi would make him look ordinary. Davidson and Sato are also much closer than I expected. I thought Ant would turn Sato over, but I was wrong.

leopard
5th June 2007, 11:39
As the topic is about surprising drivers...
It wasn't a difficult, BMW is shorter to rate both Heidfeld and Kubica, Heidfeld makes me surprised, but considering he is older driver at BMW and in F1, I guess Kubica deserves more a surprising driver, plus he twice finished in front of Heidfeld this far.

Btw, Massa hasn't been a surprise to me (and he also wasn't last year) - I have believed in his abilities for some time by now...
This is a surprise that you believe on ability of Massa... ahem

gm99
5th June 2007, 13:26
Certainly LH has to be the surprise of the season so far - personally, I expected him to be quick, but not as quick as he has been in the first few races. What amazes me even more, though, is his consistency - quite a few rookies (JV, JPM come to my mind here) have shown flashes of speed in their first season, but not at every race.

I am also very surprised by Sutil - he is almost always quicker than his vastly more experienced team-mate Albers and really could be the real thing.

wedge
5th June 2007, 14:08
Adrian Sutil has made Christian Albers look very ordinary this year

trumperZ06
5th June 2007, 19:23
:D Positive results: Hamilton has to be the biggest surprise... many of us expected him to do well... but no one could expect 5 podiums in his first 5 races.

Massa also has done better than many expected... who would have thought Massa would be ahead of Kimi at this point in the season !!!

BMW being well ahead of Renault and Williams... in constructor points.

:( Disapointments: Honda... yet to score a point, along with Buttons !!!

Corny
5th June 2007, 20:33
heidfeld/sutil

Zsolt
5th June 2007, 21:37
I think for most (if not all) of us, Massa & Hamilton are surprises.

ottostreet
5th June 2007, 22:37
gm99, i have to ask why october 31, 1999 is one of the blackest days in motorsport? the only thing i can think that happened that day was mika hakkinen winning at suzuka?

jens
5th June 2007, 22:42
gm99, i have to ask why october 31, 1999 is one of the blackest days in motorsport? the only thing i can think that happened that day was mika hakkinen winning at suzuka?

Probably he means the death of Greg Moore.

ottostreet
5th June 2007, 22:47
ah right. thanks for that.

Racehound
5th June 2007, 23:01
Probably he means the death of Greg Moore.
for sure thats what he means!!!!!.....what an awful crash that was too.....last race of the 99 season at Fontana, and a horrible day.......it took a few people a bit of time to realize just how bad Ayrtons crash was , but with Gregs everyone knew straight away it was bad!!!!!!!!!!!......always so sad to lose drivers so young.........puts a different perspective on racing when these things happen as it did for me when Roland then Ayrton were killed on consecutive days......i stopped racing myself and decided to turn my car into a trailer queen instead of a pro-mod......now we just go to the car shows.........like Niki Lauda said after May 1st......".When someone like Senna gets killed, you have to ask yourself, what is the point???"

jidoka
5th June 2007, 23:05
Very disappointed with Heikki.

Racehound
5th June 2007, 23:07
the biggest surprise of the season so far is Nico Rosberg advertising Phillips shavers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!....methinx someone at phillips made an almighty blunder!!!!!!!!!!!!!....F** me, the "guy???!!!" dont have a hair on his chin anywhere!!!!!!!!!!!!! some nice hair extensions, bit o make up, designer dress and a pair o heels and i might even take Nico la to dinner myself!!!!!!!!!!!!

Racehound
5th June 2007, 23:22
I think for most (if not all) of us, Massa & Hamilton are surprises.
except for those who know a little about racing like tricky mickey!!!!!.....after he watched Lewboy in gp2 last year he decided it was time to do the off and off he went!!!!!......he didnt wanna tangle with Fernando again this year anyway but after watchin Lewboy that was the final nail in the box for him , so off he rode into the sunset!!!!!!!!!!! :)

Zico
5th June 2007, 23:57
Surprises?... probably Massa more than anyone else. After watching Lewis earlier in his career I just knew he was going to be something special, but he has exceeded even my expectations... I had comments on here (wont name names) ridiculing me.. Ioan, you around buddy? :D Boy it feels good being proved correct... for a change ;)

Kevincal
6th June 2007, 00:01
Considering that Hamilton is in arguably the best car on the grid, I personally feel he is getting way too much praise thus far and really, it wasn't a surprise to me that he is doing so well. He's had a couple of really close calls though, so he's had good luck on his side too, in my opinion. ;)

Zico
6th June 2007, 00:15
I know what your saying.. but to be a match to a 2 time WDC on occasion and have 5 podiums in 5 races in your 1st F1 season, impresses the hell out of me at least.. The ferrari is clearly as good, whats Kimi achieved?

CCFanatic
6th June 2007, 00:21
All off season I have heard the Heikki was going to be a winner this year, yet he has surprised me with his speed, or lack of it. I know the car sucks, but still. He is not doing anything for the hype he got. But look at Hamilton. This guy is great.

stevie_gerrard
6th June 2007, 01:35
DC has been brilliant, really impressed how he's used his experience to be solidly in the points recently.

I've been impressed with Fisi as well, who seems to be struggling in the Renault, but thats cause no-one can drive a Renault like Alonso. If Alonso was in that car, i bet he'd still be championship leader.

Kevincal
6th June 2007, 02:49
I know what your saying.. but to be a match to a 2 time WDC on occasion and have 5 podiums in 5 races in your 1st F1 season, impresses the hell out of me at least.. The ferrari is clearly as good, whats Kimi achieved?

Kimi has had the worst luck of any driver in the racing world in the past years...lol :)

Valve Bounce
6th June 2007, 03:35
Ralfie - I never expected him to be that bad.

Kevincal
6th June 2007, 06:32
Man...I couldn't imagine the burden Ralph must feel...being totally in the shadows of Michael... Feel bad for him really. :(

ShiftingGears
6th June 2007, 07:27
like Niki Lauda said after May 1st......".When someone like Senna gets killed, you have to ask yourself, what is the point???"

He might not see the point in it, but I(and many racing drivers, hopefully) would say that it's because their passion for racing a car outweighs the risks that come with it.

Also, Sutil putting in the fastest time in a wet Monaco practice session really put himself on the map.

ioan
6th June 2007, 09:50
I've been impressed with Fisi as well, who seems to be struggling in the Renault, but thats cause no-one can drive a Renault like Alonso. If Alonso was in that car, i bet he'd still be championship leader.

:rolleyes:

Slartibartfast
6th June 2007, 14:13
Kimi has had the worst luck of any driver in the racing world in the past years...lol :)
You must have forgotten Webber!

wedge
6th June 2007, 15:32
Good article on Sutil:

http://www.itv-f1.com/Feature.aspx?Type=General&PO_ID=39454

Kevincal
6th June 2007, 17:03
You must have forgotten Webber!

You're right! lol. ;)

aryan
7th June 2007, 12:17

Well, a sentence which contradicts itself should be a good one...

So are you impressed with Fisi or are not NOT impressed with Fisi given that you think FA could have been championship leader in that car?

pino
7th June 2007, 12:33
None would be leading the champ with this year Renault...not even Alonso ;)

BDunnell
7th June 2007, 12:59
Considering that Hamilton is in arguably the best car on the grid, I personally feel he is getting way too much praise thus far and really, it wasn't a surprise to me that he is doing so well. He's had a couple of really close calls though, so he's had good luck on his side too, in my opinion. ;)

Reckon de la Rosa would have been leading the championship in the McLaren, then?

Hamilton has been my surprise of the season so far as well. Coulthard has impressed of late, but this isn't really unexpected to me as I've always maintained that he still has it in him. I suppose that Sato has also been doing surprisingly well — I never thought all those people who barracked the Honda boss at the Tokyo Motor Show would turn out to have a point...

ioan
7th June 2007, 14:39
None would be leading the champ with this year Renault...not even Alonso ;)

What about Jarno? ;)

On a serious note I fully agree with you on that one.

Racehound
7th June 2007, 18:27
Well, a sentence which contradicts itself should be a good one...

So are you impressed with Fisi or are not NOT impressed with Fisi given that you think FA could have been championship leader in that car?
i think he means hes impressed with fisi being dominant over his rookie teammate, in a car renault are trying to kid us is not adapting well to the b/stones....it would be great if FA could run the 27 in a test session against the boy blunder fisichella!!!!! alonso would thrash the cr*p outta him in anything on wheels!!!!!1....i used to like GF but now i wouldnt give him the steam off my piss......hes a complete flake whos juist another also ran collecting a nice little wage every year for doing next to bugger all!!!!!...theres too many out there like that.........its about time we cut the field in half and get rid of the going nowhere teams!!!!...i would rather see 10 cars in a race going balls out for the whole race , rather than 20 cars with half of them gettin lapped and just making up the numbers....in fact...this season would be much better with just the 2 McL`s and Ferraris fighting it out on their own and forget the rest of the also rans....there wouldnt be any complaints about traffic and we`d see much better racing between the top 4 without the rest of them gettin in the way all the time, or purposely holding up a faster car!!!

Racehound
7th June 2007, 18:50
Reckon de la Rosa would have been leading the championship in the McLaren, then?

Hamilton has been my surprise of the season so far as well. Coulthard has impressed of late, but this isn't really unexpected to me as I've always maintained that he still has it in him. I suppose that Sato has also been doing surprisingly well — I never thought all those people who barracked the Honda boss at the Tokyo Motor Show would turn out to have a point...
What!!!!!!!!????????.....what is it that people think couldtard has!!!!???????????hes won 13 races in 15 years!!!!!....trickey won 90 odd in 16 years......coulthard was in top teams at McLaren and williams, and came where????......McLaren went backwards for 8 years whilst coulthard was with them, and he won bugger all at williams when he should have been up there with a possibility to win at least 1 wdc during the 90`s!!!!!!!!!!!!!...and he came?????.........NOWHERE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Randall Flagg
8th June 2007, 00:07
Rosberg has looked a little more solid this year than he was last year, still in an uninspiring machine.

Sutil is improving, as long as he keeps his car on the road.

Speed has developed more than his team mate which has pleasantly surprised me (though i'd still go for VL), though neither will likely be in F1 this time next year.

Renault has really been a dissapointment this year, not totally the fault of their two drivers, though HK has had a so-so start to his career for now.

I have actually quite enjoyed seeing Massa, to be honest. Still, he's no Schumacher.

BDunnell
8th June 2007, 00:17
What!!!!!!!!????????.....what is it that people think couldtard has!!!!???????????hes won 13 races in 15 years!!!!!....trickey won 90 odd in 16 years......coulthard was in top teams at McLaren and williams, and came where????......McLaren went backwards for 8 years whilst coulthard was with them, and he won bugger all at williams when he should have been up there with a possibility to win at least 1 wdc during the 90`s!!!!!!!!!!!!!...and he came?????.........NOWHERE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Somewhere in amongst all those exclamation and question marks, you mention the statistic that Coulthard has won 13 races in 15 years. I'd like to know when you reckon he entered F1...

I would never claim that he's the greatest driver in the world, but he's certainly an extremely solid one who can (still) get a lot out of a car.

Kevincal
8th June 2007, 01:21

Ehem...The Mercedes is much better this year than last... ;)

Racehound
8th June 2007, 11:57
Somewhere in amongst all those exclamation and question marks, you mention the statistic that Coulthard has won 13 races in 15 years. I'd like to know when you reckon he entered F1...

I would never claim that he's the greatest driver in the world, but he's certainly an extremely solid one who can (still) get a lot out of a car.
beg your pardon!!.....yes....13 years hes been in f1......still pretty dismal statistics compared to tricky tho dont ya think??.....oh well.....if some idiot is gonna pay him to drive , thats their business,...... :) ......

Garry Walker
8th June 2007, 14:46
Kovalainen - I expected that he can become a very good driver, but it is clear that he is nothing special
Sutil - A very very talented driver, bright future ahead of him.
Fisi - some life in the old crybaby still, has shown he is capable of driving well when there isnt pressure to win on him.