Christian Albers

Replacements
Neil Jani
Nelson Piquet Jnr
Kartikhean(spelling?)
one of there young testers probably

N. Jones
2nd June 2007, 05:54
Fisi is a tough choice. Does Renault really fall that far to go with two rookies? Especially when one rookie can't outpace and career underachiever?

Speed & Liuzzi aren't doing much - might as well replace both.
Wuz - need to give him some more time. Six years out of the cockpit - he needs time to get comfy...

Albers - probably. Sutil is rounding into form.

My choices:
What about everybody's favorite Ant? He is being beaten by a crazy driver.
Ralf - He needed to go back in 2001.
I like Trulli but what has he done? Qualified well and then fallen backward like a stone.
Yes, that leads us to poor Mark Webber. Many love him but how long will it be before people stop blaming the car??

wmcot
2nd June 2007, 07:32
Oh, you mean race drives? I thought this thread was about something else - sorry!! ;)

Cozzie
2nd June 2007, 07:54
Christijan Albers
Ralf Schumacher
Jarno Trulli
Scott Speed
Vitantonio Liuzzi

aryan
2nd June 2007, 09:04
Jarno has a contract for next season. His seat is safe.

My list:

Ant
Albers
Wurz
Speed
Liuzzi
Ralf
Heikki
DC

From the above, I would love to see DC and Ant retain their seats. Many more probably will as well, since we have had 6-7 rookies in the pas 2 years break into F1, and team directors will probably want to slow down a bit now to allow these to gain some experience.

jens
2nd June 2007, 11:00
I still believe that Liuzzi and Speed are underrated. The only comparison we can make between them and experienced drivers, is 2005. And remember, on his Grand Prix debut' - at Imola - Liuzzi managed to beat DC fair and square. He failed in the next three races, but he has certainly improved since then. I'd like to see one of the current STR drivers in RBR next year and I believe the team-mate battle will be very tight to your surprise! I'm even going that far that I suggest Liuzzi and Speed are at least as good as the current RBR drivers!

But unfortunately it's highly possible that we won't see neither of them in F1 next year.
And it's also clear that both Renault' drivers, Wurz, Coulthard, Albers, Schumacher will have to fight for their job. Barrichello is an interesting case - don't know, what plans Honda has with him. He may retire voluntarily.

keysersoze
3rd June 2007, 15:37
Too bad they are being judged thus. I suppos having Gerhard Berger involved, there would be extremely high expectations: he jerked the awful ATS to some good results and got Benetton their first win, IIRC. He expects his drivers to be able to make a silk purse out of a sow's ear.

Lately, Fisi is making a good case to be retained.

Sleeper
3rd June 2007, 16:46
Well, neither Toyota driver is doing particularly well, but Trulli seems to have a slight edge, not that its making much difference to Toyota. From what I can tell, Scott Speed has been outperforming Liuzzi for most of the year so far, badly outqualified by Tonio but outracing him in both of the last races (at least the parts that they were both still in). I cant understand why Berger and Tost keep talking up Liuzzi, he had one good race for RBR and ha done little since. Wurze has been racing well this year but his keeps qualifying well behind Rosberg, needs to improve there. Albers isnt doing so well against Sutil, but has plenty of money with him and is Dutch in a Dutch team, soI cant see him going anywear soon.

I cant see anyone whos seat is really under threat.

VkmSpouge
3rd June 2007, 17:57
I think both Toro Rosso drivers will be safe in their seats for the remainder of the season but as for next year Liuzzi and Speed will have to do something to keep their drives.

Well, neither Toyota driver is doing particularly well, but Trulli seems to have a slight edge, not that its making much difference to Toyota.

Jarno Trulli has had the slight edge on Ralf Schumacher before but has never been able to sustain it over an entire season.

jens
3rd June 2007, 20:06
Maybe it's not Ralf driving poorly, but it's Jarno driving so well. :p :

Stuartf12007
3rd June 2007, 21:29
I never mentione Ralph, as I wondered wheather they would dare to sack him.

futuretiger9
4th June 2007, 21:40
Maybe it's not Ralf driving poorly, but it's Jarno driving so well. :p :

Possibly. Jarno may be flattering the Toyota car.

stevie_gerrard
4th June 2007, 23:49
Ralf is in major trouble, after all, he did say he could compete up near the top at the start of the season i seem to remember.

Ant has struggled which is a real shame, and who says DC is struggling?? :s hock: has everyone forgotten that this guy is actually scoring points, and looking in good shape and good form considering the time he's at in his career? i think we could see another season of DC yet.

i think liuzzi looks quick, but hasnt materialised that yet, speed however may need to buck his ideas up a bit. However, i still think its a bit too early to think about people leaving, we should wait and see what happens after the two races in North America.

Hawkmoon
5th June 2007, 02:51
I don't think we'll see many, if any, changes this season. Next year could be a year of great change however.

Speed & Liuzzi - Both drivers appear to be under pressure as neither has delivered that special drive that makes people sit up and take notice. They do have a 2007 Red Bull chassis to play with, after all.

Ralf - Overpaid and underperforming. I'd say he's definently out at Toyota for 2008. Probably be replaced by Heidfeld (think long and hard before signing that contract Nick!).

Albers - Nationality seems to be the only thing that's keeping him in F1. Has all the hallmarks of a career backmarker.

Coulthard & Webber - I think both are secure for 2008. Coulthard is driving well and Webber has had some bad luck with reliability but is still one of the best qualifiers on the grid today.

Fisichella & Kovalainen- Safe. Renault have no better option and need Fisichella's experience to temper the inexperience of Kovalainen. The Finn should be OK, but you never know with Flavio and Nelson's boy is waiting impatiently in the wings.

Wurz - a great tester by all accounts but has not had a great start to his return to racing. Safe unless Williams somehow get a better option.

I think the rest of the grid is stable. The only questions are whether Barrichello decides to retire and does BMW retain Heidfeld? I think the answers to those questions will have a big impact on the makeup of the 2008 grid.

Viv
5th June 2007, 08:06
I don't think we'll see many, if any, changes this season. Next year could be a year of great change however.

Speed & Liuzzi - Both drivers appear to be under pressure as neither has delivered that special drive that makes people sit up and take notice. They do have a 2007 Red Bull chassis to play with, after all.

Ralf - Overpaid and underperforming. I'd say he's definently out at Toyota for 2008. Probably be replaced by Heidfeld (think long and hard before signing that contract Nick!).

Albers - Nationality seems to be the only thing that's keeping him in F1. Has all the hallmarks of a career backmarker.

Coulthard & Webber - I think both are secure for 2008. Coulthard is driving well and Webber has had some bad luck with reliability but is still one of the best qualifiers on the grid today.

Fisichella & Kovalainen- Safe. Renault have no better option and need Fisichella's experience to temper the inexperience of Kovalainen. The Finn should be OK, but you never know with Flavio and Nelson's boy is waiting impatiently in the wings.

Wurz - a great tester by all accounts but has not had a great start to his return to racing. Safe unless Williams somehow get a better option.

I think the rest of the grid is stable. The only questions are whether Barrichello decides to retire and does BMW retain Heidfeld? I think the answers to those questions will have a big impact on the makeup of the 2008 grid.
Why won't BMW retain Heidfeld? He's performing very well this season, better than his teammate IMO. Plus wasn't Heidefld signed by BMW for the German connection in addition to his speed? Not sure but I remember reading something like that. I don't see him going anywhere unless I missed some conflict between him and Mario?

As for unsafe seats.. Ralf and Trulli aren't both doing well but Toyota ain't great either. I'll reserve judgement on them till the end of season, even though I feel Ralf should up his game or leave coz he hasn't shown anything special for quite some time.

Albers- What's the matter with him? One year ago he was considered fast. Now he's struggling! He might stay for another year because Spyker need a Dutchman

Speed and Liuzzi - Never rated them highly, and they haven't shown anything to make me change my opinion.

Wurz is better off testing IMO. He's a solid driver but I don't think he has the edge when it comes to racing.

Coulthard is doing well. I wanted to see him retire when he was replaced by Monty at McLaren, but he showed he still has it. Webber isn't doing anything special except in qualifying even considering his bad luck, but I think he'll stay
at Red Bull next year.

Fisi is safe IMO. Flavio won't replace him atleast till Kovalainen beats him consistently and that will take quite some time. Fisi may not be as good as Alonso but I still think he's one of the fastest. Kovalainen hasn't shown anything yet.

ShiftingGears
5th June 2007, 09:43
Albers- What's the matter with him? One year ago he was considered fast. Now he's struggling! He might stay for another year because Spyker need a Dutchman

Wurz is better off testing IMO. He's a solid driver but I don't think he has the edge when it comes to racing.

I think its because last year his teammate was a pay driver and this year he has a highly rated rookie as a teammate.

I think people should give Wurz time. He hasn't been racing for 6 years, which would take the edge off any racing driver.

Mark
5th June 2007, 09:47
What's wrong with their seats? Not bolted down?

leopard
5th June 2007, 10:40
likely

Dazz9908
5th June 2007, 15:04
Speed and Albers and KH are all bye bye at the end of the year.
Fisi will be at Prodrive.

OmarF1
5th June 2007, 15:23
Why unsafe? no safety belts, too loose? WTF, did I miss something or am I just being annoying and paranoid?

ClarkFan
5th June 2007, 16:05
Too bad they are being judged thus. I suppos having Gerhard Berger involved, there would be extremely high expectations: he jerked the awful ATS to some good results and got Benetton their first win, IIRC. He expects his drivers to be able to make a silk purse out of a sow's ear.

I think the problem with Berger is his finances, not his expectations. Mateschitz was apparently trying to reduce the cash outlays in F1, so he brought in Berger and probably expected Berger to find 50% of the finances of the team. Apparently Speed's Red Bull driver program salary was included on Berger's side of the ledger, as GB almost immediately began campaigning to replace Speed with a pay driver. Not exactly the sort of thing to boost the confidence of a young driver in a secondhand car. And while Liuzzi has outqualified him, Speed has completed more laps and his best finish of 9th at Monaco is far better than Liuzzi's best of 14th.

I also have news for Berger - Bourdais doesn't bring any money with him, either!

ClarkFan

GridGirl
5th June 2007, 17:50
Speed and Albers and KH are all bye bye at the end of the year.
Fisi will be at Prodrive.

When reading this thread I was wondering why no one had mentioned Prodrive. Thats one additional seat for those that get booted out from their current teams.

trumperZ06
5th June 2007, 19:03
;) Look for SeaBass to be in Formula 1 next year... not necessarily with Toro Rosso. Berger has shown a poor management attitude, the way he handled resigning Scot Speed this year.

Ralfie, DC, Rubens and Fisi... are likely on the way out. Time to replace these journeymen drivers with some youngsters willing to take risks.

ClarkFan
5th June 2007, 21:29
;) Look for SeaBass to be in Formula 1 next year... not necessarily with Toro Rosso. Berger has shown a poor management attitude, the way he handled resigning Scot Speed this year.

Ralfie, DC, Rubens and Fisi... are likely on the way out. Time to replace these journeymen drivers with some youngsters willing to take risks.

Trumper - there is a sporting chance we could see Seabass in F1 this year. Even if the rumored swap for Speed doesn't happen, Champcar's 2007 schedule seems to be unraveling. CCWS could do a Sonny Liston and not come out for a middle round - maybe not make the plane for Europe (It would suck, but maybe not worse than having the series hang around as the Undead). That would leave Seabass a free agent about the time of Turkey..... :s

ClarkFan

P.S. DC and Fisi will probably drive in 2008 if they want to. RB is probably out and RS is in peril unless he takes a massive pay cut somewhere else.

Hawkmoon
5th June 2007, 22:52
I don't see why Rubens is out. He's been faster than Button this year and I think it shows that he's more capable of driving around a less than ideal car than is the Englishman.

The only reason that Honda might replace him is if the suits in Japan want to put Sato back in the car. Barrichello might decide to retire but if he wants to drive I think he will.

Nikki Katz
5th June 2007, 23:11
There are always rumours about the oldest drivers on the grid. Coulthard has said he's not retiring and is going to try to extend his contract. It just depends on if Red Bull are interested in someone younger.
Barrichello stated he wasn't going to try to beat Patrese's record for starts, but I'm not sure he realised how quickly that would come around. But I still feel that he'll leave on his own accord at the end of the season, which in a way is a shame as after a terrible start at Honda he's largely outperformed Button.

I feel a bit sorry for Ralf, he did outperform Trulli at Australia but has been at sea since. But 4 bad races wrecking an established F1 career is a bit harsh. However, he's one of the highest paid drivers, which I never really saw as justified, and if he's going to stay I expect he'll have to take a large pay cut. Perhaps his pride will get in the way, like Montoya's.

Albers' future seems to depend on funding. He's done badly this year, but he has outperformed all his teammates other than Sutil, and Monterio seems to be trying to get a Prodrive seat, so you never know.

I hope they give Kovalinen another chance. I can't imagine them firing him just to stick in Piquet Jr anyway. Same goes for Davidson.

Speed seems to have fallen out of favour with the bosses of Toro Rosso. I don't think Liuzzi's safe either, particuarly if they're going to attempt to field Bourdais and Vettel next year. Though I get the feeling that neither will actually get the seat.

Everyone else I expect to be back.

leopard
6th June 2007, 04:59
Kartikhean(spelling?)

Shah Rukh Khan

Slartibartfast
6th June 2007, 14:31
Renault, Red Bull & STR are the question marks.
Bourdais will be with one of those teams, maybe to replace Fisi
Then there's the Michael/Red Bull connection, could he come back as driver for RBR, or even an owner/driver for STR?!
Contrary to popular opinion, I think Scott Speed will survive, he has shown consistent improvement so far this season.

Quetch
6th June 2007, 15:26
If I was Flavio, I'd test Bourdais, and if he fares well, I'd sign him to replace - Kovalainen.

trumperZ06
6th June 2007, 17:26
If I was Flavio, I'd test Bourdais, and if he fares well, I'd sign him to replace - Kovalainen.

:dozey: I understood that the reason SeaBass is not at Renault is primarily due to Sabasten's refusal to sign an "indentured servitude" conract with Flavio... years ago.

;) A native driver in a French car should have been an easy decision... yet Bourdais has been in exile... in the Champ car series for many years.

aryan
7th June 2007, 12:29
:dozey: I understood that the reason SeaBass is not at Renault is primarily due to Sabasten's refusal to sign an "indentured servitude" conract with Flavio... years ago.

And his unenthusiasm to start his F1 career with a backmarker.

trumperZ06
7th June 2007, 17:16
And his unenthusiasm to start his F1 career with a backmarker.

;) Which team/teams... have offered SeaBass a Formula 1 ride ???

We know he's tested with Toro Rosso this year... and they are certainly NOT one of the better teams.

Randall Flagg
8th June 2007, 00:21
If I am going to be fair to the boys at STR, they have done a fair job in poor, ill-managed equipment, and Speed is starting to show he is a pretty handy driver indeed. Liuzzi has the speed, and should have the upper hand over his teammate, but his silly mistakes have let him down. I think they both ought to move on, having done as well as they could in the equipment they have, and let two more rookies have a go (I wouldnt mind seeing VL at Red Bull and Speed elsewhere... or possibly with him?). Their seats are clearly unsafe, and rightly so, to give other hopefulls a chance to continue the development of the car.

Ralf really has to go, he's cringeworthy to watch, and has been for the last 2 years. Overpaid and uninspiring, over the hill and wasteful. Who to replace him though? He's under pressure.

Albers should be cast aside for a rookie who can develop the Spyker more, he's had his chips now with 3 years of experience and limited real development, especially being shaded by a young boy who has unheard of a year ago (to the naive fan). Depends if he is sent off though...

Coulthard is reaching the twilight of his career, and if he left I would somewhat miss him. I would not be surprised if he was replaced by on of the STR boys, or a driver like HK (as unlikely as THAT is).

Garry Walker
8th June 2007, 14:43
Liuzzi and speed: Neither of them is anything special, so no loss to f1 if they are forced out.
Ant: Lots of hype, no results so far.
Fisi: Has proven better than Kovalainen, but there is a lot of pressure of Flavio to put Piquet in the other seat for next year, next to HK who is safe despite not shining so far.
DC: Deserves a seat for 2008, but DM has said only one veteran will be retained, the other seat will be given to a young driver.
Ralf: Needs to improve a bit, but aside from qualy, he is on Trullis pace actually. Rumours are that he will go to DTM, but there are also rumours RB and Honda might be interested in him. I doubt the latter twos credibility though.
Toyotas only alternative for Ralf, that would make sense would be Sutil, replacing him with montagny or that japanese test driver williams is forced to have, would be like giving someone 1 pound of silver and asking for 1 pound of **** back.

Rubens is safe, he is kicking the ass of the British "hero" Button so far. In fact, if it wasnt for the fact that Honda has invested so much in JB, it would be JB getting replaced.
Trulli has a contract till 2009, he is safe aswell.