PDA

View Full Version : The Driving Test

Brown, Jon Brow
30th May 2007, 21:55
I have my test on Monday :s I can do everything required, maneuvers, clutch control (haven't stalled for months :D ) but I sometimes have a lapse in concentration :dozey: and panic.

Does anyone recall their test/s and have any funny stories or even better, any tips?

GridGirl
30th May 2007, 22:33
I failed my driving test twice. The first time time I stalled at a mini roundabout which was on a hill. I rolled back a few inches which resulted in a serious physical intervention (I forgot what they actually call it now ) and an automatic fail about 3 minutes into my test.

My second test, again only minutes into the test I came to the same mini roundabout, panicked and stalled again. At this point my driving fell apart as I thought I'd blown it. Turns out I didn't get a serious fault that time, but not overtaking a slow moving lorry on a dual carriage way and causing a long line of traffic to build up behind me did cause me to get a serious fault. I got another one for something else. My test culminated in the instructor telling me to take the 4th exit on a roundabout. I paniced at the 3rd and thought I'd missed the one I wanted. I veered off to take it, with no indication, a car was heading toward us, the test guy had to grab the wheel. He called me a stupid girl after swearing (if we'd crashed it would probably of hurt him to be fair) and I cried all the way back to the test centre.

I passed 3rd time with about 3 minor faults. Your instuctor feels your up to a good enough standard if he's put you for your test. You just have to keep a cool head and not panic and I'm sure you'll pass. :)

Slightly off topic, but when one of my cousin's was learning to drive her instructor told her to turn right at a round about, so she did. :laugh: Needless to say, she's given up on the idea of driving now.

CarlMetro
30th May 2007, 23:33
I passed bike, car and LGV C+E at the first attempt but to this day still wonder how I passed my LGV test.

When I exited the test centre I had to pull out onto a main road and the law states that you should not pull out if it causes another vehicle to slow or brake, so what did I do? Yep, you guessed it. Not so bad as to make the car brake but they certainly had to slow down. I then proceeded to clip a curb with the trailer wheels on a roundabout, which isn't allowed either. The final and perhaps the worst part was when driving through the centre of Cambridge I suddenly heard a fire engine siren behind me. On the dual carriageway approach to a roundabout I had the choice of two lanes, one with loads of traffic or one with hardly any, so I chose the empty one, only to come to an abrupt stop, thus blocking the fire engine behind me.

I was really peed off after that and could see the examiner writing away on his clipboard all the way back to the test centre, with me thinking that I'd failed. I almost couldn't be bothered with the Highway code questions when we parked up and almost fell out of the cab when he told me I'd passed. I then proceeded to point out all my faults, to which he answered he put them down to nerves and bad luck with the fire engine. I then said about all his writing on the clipboard and he turned it around to show me his shopping list for when he finished work :rolleyes:

schmenke
31st May 2007, 16:00
First time around I failed the written portion :mark:

A minor fault on the road test as I failed to signal a "lane" change. I argued with the instructor that there really were no lanes as it was merely a wide residential street (no painted lines). I lost the argument and he promptly scribbled the note into his notepad/shopping list :dozey:

I'm just glad that there are no roundabouts on this side of the pond... :uhoh:

janneppi
31st May 2007, 17:27
I passed the written, car and truck tests at first go, am i great or what. :)
car test was close to a failed though, the instructor even had to break once(odd red light's and i was on the brakes tenth of a second after him), then i he noticed i was speeding :) (small road which changed to 40 from 50 in a odd place)

Took the truck test five years later and that was almost a joke when the instructor saw i had been driving for few years, that was over in under twenty minutes.

(I also passed my tank commader test too at first go, even though the driver was worse than bad :D )

GridGirl
31st May 2007, 20:01
Janneppi's post just reminded me what my 3rd serious fault was on my second test. I went through a red light. Well it was amber and turned to red just as it was too late to stop. Doh, its all coming back to me now.

speedy king
31st May 2007, 21:37
Passed first time on 15th November 2006 :) (driving test must be getting easy :p : ) Nah, in all seriousness it requires more luck than skill i believe to pass 1st time, go out do your best and stay calm. I spoke with my driving examiner most the way through, general chat, asked him about his car and how he liked driving etc, general chit chat to keep me relaxed and to drive sub-conciously rather than up tight and agitated.

I do remember thinking i had failed it a couple of times though :s One roundabout i seemed to sit at for an eternity as it was so busy and another mini roundabout i came to where it only had 3 exits, i needed the 2nd where you wouldnt normally indicate for but it was to the right......i can't honestly remember what i done but it must have worked :s Best of luck :)

Hazell B
1st June 2007, 22:37
My first motorcycle test was stopped part way in when my indicators stopped working (making the bike unroadworthy technically) but I passed when I finished it a few days later. Nothing interesting to report there, really.

My car test was mildly pointless to be honest. We set off and within a mile or so got stuck at the start of a jam when I stopped to let a wagon reverse into a store's carpark and it got wedged. The examiner wasn't local and had no idea of the roads other than the ones he'd been told to use for the basic test route, so we had to stay put as I hadn't been there before either. We chatted and by chance he was off to the Isle of Man TT the next week, and I'd been there for the TT in past years.

In the end we got moving but only had time for a single reverse park before the next test was due, so he just passed me as I had already proved perfectly safe on a motorcycle and had pulled off a good park. I think a minor fault was recorded (observation probably, but I forget) for the record, but he did tell me to make sure I told everyone I'd done a reverse round the corner and three point turn if they asked - which I hadn't - because my reversing into the parking space back at the test centre counted in his view.

Always felt slightly cheated by that test :p :

Good luck Mr Brown, hope you pass first time too! :up:

slinkster
3rd June 2007, 20:20
I only passed my test on the third attempt... my driving instructor was a complete bitch and I had her every freakin time. On my first test I failed because she had to tell me when to go and she marked it as having to intervene! She'd taken me through the worst junction possible with about ten sets of lights and I'd been sitting there watching the wrong set for a few minutes before she shouted at me to move. :(

I'm sure she picked my name out on purpose each time... urgh total cow.

slinkster
3rd June 2007, 20:21
ooh forgot to say... Good luck!

MadCat
3rd June 2007, 21:25
I've got my driving test on wednesday :s .. getting a little bit nervous but i've got a couple of lessons booked before hand so hopefully i'll be all ready to go come wednesday afternoon.

Good luck for tomorrow Jon :) Hope you pass!

Mark
4th June 2007, 07:57
I did stall on my test, but thankfully I only got a minor fault for it. In my defence the clutch pedal on the Micra I was driving had gradually been getting worse while I was learning, up to the point where it hardly worked at all taking my test. Probably because the driving instructor told me to rest my foot on the clutch pedal at all times, must have cost him a fortune in clutches!

One tip to remember, they are looking to see how good your driving is. You are not being tested on how well you can listen to directions, so if you don't hear which way to go, ask for clarification, you don't get faults for being hard of hearing or being a bit of a numpty with directions ;)

Brown, Jon Brow
4th June 2007, 12:36
Fail :bigcry: :bigcry:

I got a major fault when I was reversing around a corner. A van came up behind me so I had to stop. I set off again, then another van came up behind at approximately 80mph. I didn't see them so the examiner had to tell me (intervene).

So basically, I failed because of someone else and some bad luck.

Mark
4th June 2007, 12:47
Nevermind! Apart from that how did you do? If that was your only fault then be heartened that this part of your driving is the only thing you need to work on.

btw, The last time I actually reversed around a corner like they do on driving tests, was in my driving test!

schmenke
4th June 2007, 17:53
...btw, The last time I actually reversed around a corner like they do on driving tests, was in my driving test!

Indeed. I'm surprised that's actually part of the test :s

GridGirl
4th June 2007, 17:57
Don't worry about it Jon, just keep ringing up and get the closest cancellation you can. It was 5 months after I'd took my first test to the one I actually passed purely becuase I couldn't get a any cancellation test's as my my test centre was so busy.

Brown, Jon Brow
4th June 2007, 19:30
I got 6 other 'minor' faults including a dodgy gear change and almost hitting a bus that was setting off from a bus stop like they do :\ But before the test, if I could say my best maneuver, it would be reverse around a corner. The actual maneuver was good, but if that van wasn't their at that particular time I would of passed. (Or the examiner would have changed a 'minor fault' to a 'major' to make be fail.)

But when I failed at that point, why was I still made to do another maneuver (parallel park)?

I'm think of doing my re-test in my own car. Partly because I had to pay my instructor £60 for using her car. (before having to pay £50 for the test)

slinkster
4th June 2007, 19:41
aaah never mind... best of luck for next time. You also have the advantage of knowing what to expect a bit more this time too. All the best drivers fail their first test ;)

Hazell B
4th June 2007, 19:59
I'm think of doing my re-test in my own car. Partly because I had to pay my instructor £60 for using her car. (before having to pay £50 for the test)

Sixty quid?! :s
Jeez, no wonder the guy near our stables gave up being a police officer and became a driving teacher - he must be making a bomb!

Sorry you didn't pass Jon. Next time, you will. Doesn't matter much, I bet half the people taking a test fail anyway.

CarlMetro
4th June 2007, 20:08
I got 6 other 'minor' faults including a dodgy gear change and almost hitting a bus that was setting off from a bus stop like they do :\ But before the test, if I could say my best maneuver, it would be reverse around a corner. The actual maneuver was good, but if that van wasn't their at that particular time I would of passed. (Or the examiner would have changed a 'minor fault' to a 'major' to make be fail.)

No offence intended but it seems like you need to brush up on your observation and anticipation before doing your re-test. The main reason the 'reversing around the corner' is in your driving test is not to see about how good you are at reversing around a corner, but to see what your observation, hazard anticipation and car control is like when faced with a difficult manoeuvre.

Better luck next time but If I were you then I would take another couple of lessons or get some more practice before doing a re-take.

janneppi
4th June 2007, 20:35
What does 'reversing around the corner' mean, do you reverse out of a parking space onto the road or reverse a corner in a juction?

CarlMetro
4th June 2007, 23:20
You reverse around the corner of a junction.

http://www.billandersondrivingschool.co.uk/leftrev.htm

janneppi
5th June 2007, 06:39
Ah, thanks, we don't do those here at all. :) I had a small poll around the office about it, and it caused a unanimous WTF from the co-workers.

Mark
5th June 2007, 07:33
Indeed, it does seem utterly irrelevant, however as Carl says it's designed to test more than just your car control.

Hazell B
5th June 2007, 21:25
I've got my driving test on wednesday :s

Good luck tomorrow MadCat, but don't get on a downer if you don't pass.

I've got a busy day, so won't be on here tomorrow probably. All the same, let us know how it went ASAP, eh? :)

MadCat
6th June 2007, 11:02
Thanks Hazell, Will do :)

I have a lesson booked before my test so hopefully that'll calm down any nerves that build up beforehand.

Brown, Jon Brow
6th June 2007, 11:15
Thanks Hazell, Will do :)

I have a lesson booked before my test so hopefully that'll calm down any nerves that build up beforehand.

My advice is to be as cautious as possible. Especially when approaching things such as cyclists and buses. Take as much time over your maneuvers as possible (this will reduce the amount of time for other driving) and don't make the same mistake that I did. Oh and check your blindspot!

good luck :up:

No offence intended but it seems like you need to brush up on your observation and anticipation before doing your re-test. The main reason the 'reversing around the corner' is in your driving test is not to see about how good you are at reversing around a corner, but to see what your observation, hazard anticipation and car control is like when faced with a difficult manoeuvre.

Better luck next time but If I were you then I would take another couple of lessons or get some more practice before doing a re-take.

You must understand how frustrating it is for me to know that I would be legally allowed to drive on the road if that van hadn't driven passed me when I was doing that part of the test. What makes it even more annoying is that I a only few yards of completing the reverse. I had already stopped twice for other vehicles and the examiner said that my observation before that point had been good.

MadCat
6th June 2007, 11:26
My advice is to be as cautious as possible. Especially when approaching things such as cyclists and buses. Take as much time over your maneuvers as possible (this will reduce the amount of time for other driving) and don't make the same mistake that I did. Oh and check your blindspot!

good luck :up:

Cheers, the only real worry I have is the reversing round the corner and someone comes up behind me but i'll cross that bridge when I come to it.

Just hope I dont do what my friend did - cut up a car :arrows:

CarlMetro
6th June 2007, 11:30
You must understand how frustrating it is for me to know that I would be legally allowed to drive on the road if that van hadn't driven passed me when I was doing that part of the test. What makes it even more annoying is that I a only few yards of completing the reverse. I had already stopped twice for other vehicles and the examiner said that my observation before that point had been good.

Lack of observation and anticipation is the majority cause for motor vehicle accidents in the UK. Your lack of observation with regards to the approaching van was bad enough for your examiner to have to intervine. I understand your frustration but I also understand why you failed. Perhaps the fact that you failed will make you a better drive? Perhaps you'll fail on something completely different the second time, I know one of my best friends did and it took him six attempts to pass.

The main thing is that you have made a mistake and you should learn from it. Yes, if that van hadn't been coming down the road you may have passed, in the same respect that if I hadn't been riding down a road on a motorbike when a woman pulled out of a side road straight infront of me, then I wouldn't have hit because she 'didn't see you' despite me having headlights on.

Brown, Jon Brow
6th June 2007, 11:51
Perhaps you'll fail on something completely different the second time, I know one of my best friends did and it took him six attempts to pass.

Jeez! Thanks for the confidence boost! :rolleyes: :p

My observation could have been better, but I'm sure you know that when reversing around a corner you are looking over your right shoulder, in the left side door mirror and through the rear window. My only chance to see the van would be through the rear window, but as it was clearly going faster than 30mph it's view must have gone through my rear window as I was looking in the side mirror. If He wasn't speeding, I would stand more of a chance of seeing him.

I bet that most people would fail their test if a situation like that arose on all of them. Yes, I was right to fail, but I feel that I was very unlucky.

MadCat
6th June 2007, 16:56
well ... i passed :D :D :D Got 8 faults (or minors or whatever they call them) and thankfully didnt do a reverse round the corner. Did a three point turn which i think might have cost me one of the minors and a bay park, didnt do an emergency stop or turn in the road like I said before.

Well chuffed :D

GridGirl
6th June 2007, 17:39
Jon its probably time your forgot about your failed test, Thinking about it and justifying your actions wont change the result. Focus on your next test, and the positives you can take into that. :)

Congratulations MadCat. :D Have you torn up your L plates yet?

Brown, Jon Brow
6th June 2007, 20:09
well ... i passed :D Got 8 faults (or minors or whatever they call them) and thankfully didnt do a reverse round the corner. Did a three point turn which i think might have cost me one of the minors and a bay park, didnt do an emergency stop or turn in the road like I said before.

Well chuffed :D

Well done :beer: :up:

Hazell B
12th June 2007, 23:04
Good one Madcat :D

Jon, you got another test date yet?

Brown, Jon Brow
12th June 2007, 23:07
Yeah, but I'm telling anyone :D

Hazell B
12th June 2007, 23:21
Meanie :p :

Good luck anyway.

Drew
16th June 2007, 21:35
My theory driving test was easy, passed first time full marks on the questions and quite well on hazard perception (what a waste of time that is...). Luckily that question with the cat's eyes colours' didn't come up, because I still have no clue and still don't see why you need to know it off by heart.

My practical driving test was a little interesting. It was on a foggy december morning, I was the only person to remember to put their lights on and so was the only one in the group to pass. I was convinced that I had failed, I drifted to 46mph in a 40mph and almost got crashed into when a guy swerved into my lane. But luckily and somehow I passed first time :cool: