PDA

View Full Version : Who earns money as a WRC driver?

ShiftingGears
30th May 2007, 11:49
Everything I've read in this forum suggests that most of the drivers have to pay to compete...why? I'm assuming Loeb and Gronholm make money, but who else?

MJW
30th May 2007, 12:14
A few others - but this should be respected as private business.

wroom
30th May 2007, 12:53

Why's that? What's the harm in speculating who gets paid and who pays? We speculate half the time who gets hired and who gets fired.

jonkka
30th May 2007, 14:41
As long as tax information is public, as it is in Finland, I see nothing wrong in the question. If it is not and the parties involved want it to remain that way, then their privacy should be respected. In addition, the question here was "who gets paid for driving" and not "how much".

Jarek Z
30th May 2007, 15:40
Everything I've read in this forum suggests that most of the drivers have to pay to compete...why?

Because competing in 16 rounds of World Rally Championship and buying a WRC car has become so expensive that manufacturers and sponsors don't want to pay for it anymore. Loeb and Gronholm earn money of course, but most of the other drivers pay their bosses big money from their own pockets (or pockets of their families) in order to drive. This has become absolutely ridiculous in recent years. You have to drive 200 km/h among the trees in dark forests and nobody pays you for that. It wasn't like that 10 or even 5 years ago. I personally think that WRC is falling down...

Lousada
30th May 2007, 15:50
What is paid and what is paying? Henning gets paid to drive but also pays for his drive. I'm sure it's the same with a few other drivers.

Corny
30th May 2007, 16:04
Henning is paid by his sponsor, isn't he?

Glee
30th May 2007, 16:27
Henning is paid by his sponsor, isn't he?

Yes.

Previous year he has lived on his wife, but this year he get a small salary (approx 100.000$ compared to his brothers 10.000.000$)

BTCC2
30th May 2007, 18:21
Id say payed drivers are:

Sebastien Loeb
Dani Sordo
Marcus Gronholm
Mikko Hirvonen (Sponsorship)
Petter Solberg
Chris Atkinson
and Matthew Wilson, well he wont have to pay!

WRXedUSA
30th May 2007, 18:21

Ha ha ha!

So much of a secret, all the top drivers move to Monaco!

Peugeot206WRC
30th May 2007, 20:20
Wish I owned a lot of oil.
Could buy Gronholm, Solberg and Loeb to drive some Trabant P601 in my world rally team then it would be place for 3 other paid drivers in their old places.

WRC2006
31st May 2007, 00:15
Wish I owned a lot of oil.
Could buy Gronholm, Solberg and Loeb to drive some Trabant P601 in my world rally team then it would be place for 3 other paid drivers in their old places.

Haaaaaa!!!! LOL

JAM
31st May 2007, 14:10

The usual "i want be well know and i want to appear on tv and newspaper, but i only want the good things of being a public person".

Discussions about how much A or B earn are usual and if they must be private or not is a matter of discussion.

jonas_mcrae
31st May 2007, 22:45
I bet Stohl is paid something, maybe not much but has to be something, dont think dani does, maybe just his expenses but not much else