PDA

View Full Version : 2007 Astra SportHatch 1.6i SXI, Honda Civic Type S or Ford Fiesta 1.6i Zetec???

speedy king
28th May 2007, 23:37
Hmmmmm.....the way things are looking i can change my car in a few months with a £6k deposit and £200-£300 a month payment. I've drawn my choices down to 3...

Vauxhall Astra Sporthatch 1.6i SXI - Loved the Touring car and always liked them on the road, cheap to insure yet will be the most expensive monthly to pay for at the top end of my budget.

Honda Civic Type S, 1.8i VTEC - Fell in love with the previous model's Type R, very undecided whether to get the new Type S with the 1.8i and Group 9 insurance or for £6-£8k get a second hand 2001+ Type S which is just as fast but a 1.6i and only group 6 insurance!! I do like the new model on some days but it is still growing on me... Will cost more to insure than the Astra but in the long run will cost less at over £100 a month cheaper to have a lease on.

Ford Fiesta 1.6i Zetec S - My final choice, very nice sporty looking cars, had one as a van for my job and for a van it gripped the road like nothing i have ever driven, amazing road handling, really great car/van to drive so i can only start to imagine what it's like as a less cheap bottom of the range veihcle :) Same insurance as the Civic, still looking at lease plans....

Whatever car i choose i'll be having for at least 3 years to pay off the value so i want to make sure i make the right choice, so opinions are valued :) Especially if you have experience with either :)

Mark
29th May 2007, 07:49
Fiesta isn't especially sporty I think, only a 1.6 engine which isn't much more than my 1.4 and my car isn't especially fast, although I do think the handling is spot on. If you want fast then you need an ST.

Daniel
29th May 2007, 08:20
I'm going to do what everyone expects and reccomend a used car :)

Seriously. The Vauxhall is listed at 13 grand on the vauxhall website and I'm sure you could get it cheaper.

But!

and here's a big but.

For that kind of money you could get a fairly low mileage Clio V6 :mark: For under ten grand you've got a choice of so many cars.

The Feb 07 issue of Evo had a 10k heroes cover story and for ten grand you could get any one of the following.....

Lotus Esprit S4
TVR Chimaera 450
Clio V6 MkI
E34 M5
Audi RS2
Impreza RB5
Mazda RX-7

In 3 years time when you get rid of your car the cars above will probably not have depreciated too much and will still be as charming and fast as they are today. Whereas the cars you've listed will have been superceded and will then be 3 year old lukewarm hatches and you'll be back in a dealership asking to testdrive another lukewarm hatchback and they'll take your car off you as part ex for a stupidly low amount :mark:

Just my PoV. If I had to get one of those 3 cars I'd get the Fiesta as it's going to look the best out of those 3 in 3 years.

CarlMetro
29th May 2007, 08:44
As someone who has recently brought a new Astra, though sadly not a sporthatch as it's no good for getting kids in the back or carrying disco gear, I would say that Vauxhalls 1.6 engine is absolute pants, if you go for the Astra you need the 1.8 at least because otherwise you will spend the next three years wondering why everything else is quicker than you.

I wouldn't bother with the Ford, no offence Mark, unless you were really set on it, as the depreciation will be worse than either of the other two.

My choice would be the Honda and it would definately be the new shape, if you finances can afford it. The old Type-R is still probably the best car I've ever driven, and I've driven a few, but the new Civic is still probably the best in it's class at the moment and in three years time will still look modern enough.

The only reason my wife has an Astra and not a Civic is a small matter of 27% discount off the new price of the Astra because her sister works for GM :) otherwise I would definately have had a new Type-R.

Mark
29th May 2007, 09:00
I wouldn't bother with the Ford, no offence Mark, unless you were really set on it, as the depreciation will be worse than either of the other two.

None taken, I would put the Ford at the bottom of the list he's specified. Even more so considering the current Fiesta will be replaced early next year.

Brown, Jon Brow
29th May 2007, 13:14
I'd take the Vauxhall. The new Astra is far better than the old one and very good to drive (Even if the indicators confuse me :confused :) . It also looks far better than the Honda.

Fiesta is getting on a bit, but saying that, I want a 1.2/1.3 Fiesta for my first car. However, I'd be far more satisfied with an Astra Sport hatch on my drive instead of a Fiesta.

Stuartf12007
29th May 2007, 13:41
Get the Honda, even though its the Type S and not Type R its still a car you will absolutley love.

Honda's are the most relaible well bulit cars you can buy today, they rarely have problems and the engine is built to last forever.

Plus Civic's are built in Swindon so parts are cheap.

you have one choice.... Honda.

CarlMetro
29th May 2007, 13:44

Astra's are built in Birkenhead, Merseyside, so location has no contributing fcator to the price of parts :rolleyes:

Daniel
29th May 2007, 13:47
Get the Honda, even though its the Type S and not Type R its still a car you will absolutley love.

Honda's are the most relaible well bulit cars you can buy today, they rarely have problems and the engine is built to last forever.

you have one choice.... Honda.
You should have said.

You have one choice

Buy a Honda or I'll slash your tyres. More your style ;)

CarlMetro
29th May 2007, 13:58
:laugh:

Stuartf12007
29th May 2007, 15:09
You should have said.

You have one choice

Buy a Honda or I'll slash your tyres. More your style ;)

grow up

wedge
29th May 2007, 15:38
The Honda would be #1 choice IMO.

The Fiesta Zetec S is a good choice. Fantastic handling and arguably better than the ST (measly 2.0L/150BHP).

If you really want to be adventerous then have you thought about the Suzuki Swift Sport? 1.6 - its their JWRC homogulation car. It's had great reviews. Really need to test drive it first because the standard 17" wheels aren't for everyone.

GridGirl
29th May 2007, 18:08
Personally I'd never consider the Vauxhall. To me they are just old people's cars. Yes I know thats a a wide generalisation but its just what I think :p

The Honda is a sensible choice, and you can probably get a lot more money that would would if you went for an Type R. I'm sure you insurance would be cheaper too.

I am a Fiesta ST owner, and I love my car to bits, but I dont think I'd really recommend you get a Zetec S. I know the people that run the Zetec S owners club. At a Fiesta in the Park meeting the members of the club recently trashed the hotel and gave the police false names and basically caused a whole lot of trouble. They are quite affordable now which has lead to a new breed of idiot (thats putting it politely :p and by no means directed at you Speedy) being able to buy them.

You never said how many miles you do and what your monthly budget is to actually run the car. If budgets an issue, a diesel might be a better option.

speedy king
29th May 2007, 19:38
I'm currently running a 306DTurbo which is doing 50mpg if i drive economically, but on average i'd say 35mpg with my driving when i'm late for work etc :p :

I'd set myself a budget of £200-£300 a month finance, a £6k deposit and would want it over about 3 years. On top of the montly finance i'd set aside £150 a month fuel (have to change my driving habbits) after taking in to account the insurance payments, which is why i can't go for any of them cars you listed Daniel :p : I'll be 18...insurers don't like us...i don't blame them either, i've seen some mates driving and i for sure wouldn't insure them.

GridGirl
29th May 2007, 20:15
Getting 35mpg out of a diesel makes me happy when I think about the 33mpg I usually get out of my 2.0l petrol. You've made my day.

What about a Leon? I find them better looking than the civic. The new Fabia VRS could be an option if your looking to wait a while.

Motor_maniac
29th May 2007, 20:31
As an owner of an 04 plate Type S i'm fairly biased when i say go for the Honda.

but they are a great handling Car, very reliable and i'm quite a fan of the looks too.
My trip meter hovers around 33mpg around town, 35-37 on the motorway where she cruises very well. although the aircon and a car full of people will hit that.

Daniel
29th May 2007, 21:06
What about a Leon? I find them better looking than the civic. The new Fabia VRS could be an option if your looking to wait a while.

Wouldn't reccomend a Fabia VRS. I hear the fuel lines are a bit fragile in them! :p

CarlMetro
29th May 2007, 21:46
If budgets an issue, a diesel might be a better option.

A diesel is only a cost saving option if you are going to drive in excess of 20,000 miles per year. The extra cost for the fuel, added to the small factor of hefty servicing costs, with shorter service intervals included means that unless you are doing more than 20k per year that the diesel will cost you more per mile that the equivalent petrol version of the same car.

Iain
29th May 2007, 22:00
Maybe in a lot of cases, but in my experience, having owned the petrol and diesel version of the same car, they both have the same service intervals and I've been quoted less for a service on the diesel than I was with the petrol. Mind you I am one of those 20k a year drivers so you might have a point. :p :

Diesels are a good alternative nowadays (since the days of James' 306) if you want a performance car with cheaper insurance and better fuel economy.

Daniel
29th May 2007, 23:25
I'm currently running a 306DTurbo which is doing 50mpg if i drive economically, but on average i'd say 35mpg with my driving when i'm late for work etc :p :

I'd set myself a budget of £200-£300 a month finance, a £6k deposit and would want it over about 3 years. On top of the montly finance i'd set aside £150 a month fuel (have to change my driving habbits) after taking in to account the insurance payments, which is why i can't go for any of them cars you listed Daniel :p : I'll be 18...insurers don't like us...i don't blame them either, i've seen some mates driving and i for sure wouldn't insure them.
I still say you can own an older car and pay silly insurance and still come out on top as you're not paying depreciation to the same extent ;)

Mark
30th May 2007, 07:45
Also Diesels are even worse if you are buying new, an extra £1,000 on top of the price of a petrol engine is not uncommon. Obviously that gap narrows as the depreciation kicks in.

Myself I've done 21k in my car, but then it's nearly 3 years old now. So I guess petrol was the right choice!

nicemms
30th May 2007, 13:30
My dad has an Astra Sport Hatch sxi 1.7 diesel and he likes it. He especially likes the low insurance as my sister is learning to drive in it.

The Sporthatch looks quite sporty and drives well. I'd go for the Astra.

Brown, Jon Brow
30th May 2007, 15:13
Why not a Fiat Punto?

http://www.carpages.co.uk/fiat/fiat_images/fiat_grande_punto_28_07_05.jpg

Iain
30th May 2007, 20:27
Also Diesels are even worse if you are buying new, an extra £1,000 on top of the price of a petrol engine is not uncommon. Obviously that gap narrows as the depreciation kicks in.

Pre-reg is the way to go. :D

I do like the Grande Punto.

tsarcasm
30th May 2007, 20:59
Honda

I have a 2.0l 2003 hatch w/67,xxx and nothing has even broken (and I drive like a nutter!)

holds it's value also

Daniel
3rd June 2007, 22:46
Speedy :mark: I've just looked at the 0-60 figures for the cars you've listed and they're all very comfortingly lukewarm hatches.

Astra 0-60 10.8
Fiesta 0-60 9.9
Civic 0-60 8.9

Peugeot 306 Turbo Diesel! 12.4 :mark:

I know I'm making a big song and dance about it but if I was spending 13 grand on a new car I'd want to set my pants on fire and perform sexual favours for me each and every night! Neither the Fiesta or Astra comes close to doing that and your 306 is almost as fast and in gear probably as fast or faster than the rest due to the turbo and all that torque.

Anyhoo if you still want one of these cars I've got a tip for you.

http://www.new-car-discount.com

Vauxhall
Vauxhall list price £13855
New car discount price £12104

Ford
Fiesta Zetec S price £11972
NCD price £9582

Honda
Honda price £15277
NCD price £14760

So if you really do want one of these cars buy it from new car discount or at the very least use the pricing they're offering as ammunition against the salesperson.

In my opinion it doesn't make sense to spend that amount of money on a car that's not really all that fast if fast is what you want from it :mark: Caroline's now 13 year old Subaru Legacy Turbo did 0-60 in 5.8 when it was brand new and if you could find one it would probably only cost about 2 grand.

For 6 grand this could be yours
http://atsearch.autotrader.co.uk/www/cars_popup.jsp?did=47614&pageid=1&originalid=&gid=nogroup&tid=2&start=2&distance=0&adcategory=cars&channel=DEALERPAGE&id=200722286458796
and if taken care of properly will probably be worth just as much in 3 years as it is now. 4 seconds quicker to 60 than that Civic too ;) i reckon you could insure it for 3 years then sell it and be a few grand up on where you'd be with any of the cars you've suggested considering you can pay cash for this car and don't pay interest ;)

Mark
4th June 2007, 07:53
Certainliy agree that the Zetec S et al are not fast 'enough' for the money. If I was wanting a fast Fiesta then the ST is really the only realistic choice. But then the insurance will be mentalistic!

Why not just get an ordinary car which 80% of the time you drive pedestrian like, but the rest of the time you trash the living bejesus out of it, that's what I do ;)

Daniel
4th June 2007, 11:15
http://www.new-car-discount.com/cardetail/32683/

You can get a Fiesta ST for less than the Astra or Civic!

Mark
4th June 2007, 11:24
Think about things carefully for a moment, you are 18 years old, which means that your are going to have only about 1 years driving experience behind you, are you really ready for a car which has this much power?

I just recall that when I first started driving I figured I was perfect and nothing would happen to me, it took a few close calls to make me realise I wasn't a good driver at all. 10 years on and my driving is far more measured, i.e. I know when I can go fast and when it's best to hold back, and that is only something you get through experience, and a 150bhp car may put you into trouble quicker than your skills can get you out of it again.

janneppi
4th June 2007, 12:06
A small hot hatch is perfect training for the Beemers and Audi's mentioned in the bad driver thread thread. :p :

GridGirl
4th June 2007, 17:52
Daniel I got that kind of discount just by talking to a dealer :p

Like Mark say's, the insurance on a fast car is going to be stupid. My brother who's 21, passed his test first time aged 17. He took his pass plus straight away and has 4 years no claims, and was still quoted £950 on a Fiesta ST. He was quoted more for Forcus RS's, Type R's and Type S's and other daft cars that he think's he can run, but on his budget are way out of his league. Realistically he's still got another 4 years before his insurance premiums are going to drop down to something reasonable, Speedy King has even longer to wait.

Daniel
4th June 2007, 18:30
Daniel I got that kind of discount just by talking to a dealer :p

Like Mark say's, the insurance on a fast car is going to be stupid. My brother who's 21, passed his test first time aged 17. He took his pass plus straight away and has 4 years no claims, and was still quoted £950 on a Fiesta ST. He was quoted more for Forcus RS's, Type R's and Type S's and other daft cars that he think's he can run, but on his budget are way out of his league. Realistically he's still got another 4 years before his insurance premiums are going to drop down to something reasonable, Speedy King has even longer to wait.
Why pay lots for a poo car and pay not much for the insurance

when you can

Pay a lot less for a really good car which can trouble Ferrari's, Porsche's and so on and pay a fair bit for insurance ;)

Let me put it this way. In 5 years would you rather own your Fiesta ST or a limpwristed 2012 Fiesta 1.6? ;)

As for the pricing I agree. But that just gives him a bit of ammunition if a dealer tries to take advantage of him ;)