PDA

View Full Version : Indy TV

Dick Blom
27th May 2007, 19:55
I watched the Indy race for a bit this morning and they were showing the race and the commercial at the same time. Great feature, there was a small picture and enough info (but no race sounds) to follow the race and a bigger picture and sound for the commercial. The label said "ESPN Side-by-Side" and I think it is a great idea, so with ESPN coming back into Cup coverage I wonder if they will bring this kind of commercial to Cup races.

call_me_andrew
27th May 2007, 21:29
1. TNT has already said they will do this at the Pepsi 400 this year.
2. TBS tried it about 7 years ago.
3. TSN in Canada had been doing this with NASCAR races since the 90's.

Anyway you look at it, it's old news.

Dick Blom
27th May 2007, 22:00
Anyway you look at it, it's old news.

And your point is?

call_me_andrew
28th May 2007, 04:14
And your point is?

Perhaps I could illustrate my point with some sort of picture.

http://www.bjacked.net/LuvToHunt/forums/phpBB2/modules/gallery/albums/album01/Beat_Dead_Horse.jpg

tstran17_88
29th May 2007, 03:10
Any who.........

ESPN said they won't use the side-by-side during their Nascar coverage.

Lee Roy
29th May 2007, 03:23
Any who.........

ESPN said they won't use the side-by-side during their Nascar coverage.

ABC/ESPN has paid big bucks for NASCAR. They have to try to recoup some of that investment so don't look for the side by side.

ABC/ESPN has paid peanuts for that Indy Car BS, so they can afford to do the side by side.

Quetch
29th May 2007, 10:55
I only watched one NASCAR race on an American network (FOX via TVU) and there were far too many commercials to enjoy the racing. I'm glad I live in Europe and can watch auto racing on European networks that actually show more racing than advertising.

Lee Roy
29th May 2007, 12:41
I'm glad I live in Europe and can watch auto racing on European networks that actually show more racing than advertising.

You're lucky. I DVR all the races that I watch and fast forward through commercials.

pdalbey
29th May 2007, 15:58
As an IRL fan, I can say that the side-by-side is really nice but the end result seems to be that there are actually more commercial segments. I haven't ever actually counted but it seems to be that way.

I thought NASCAR was the one that said ABC/ESPN could not use the side-by-side feature. I seem to recall that happening several months ago but I could be completely mistaken and apologize if I am.

blakebeatty
29th May 2007, 17:34
no, i think that it was just that it was not feasible money wise. I guess in the side by side sponsors must pay less, and therefore it would not have been profitable

pdalbey
29th May 2007, 18:09
Here is the note that i was referring to from Jayski. It looks like a was slightly off-base. At first, it was reported to that NASCAR would absolutely not allow it. About a week later, they somewhat revised their position and said that they just hadn't found a solution that worked for both fans and advertisers. It still sounds to me though that NASCAR is against it.

The notes referring to s-b-s are about 75% down the page...
http://www.jayski.com/pages/espn.htm

colinspooky
30th May 2007, 02:03
stuff all that ---- how's that poor HORSE ???!!!???

:eek:

Zsolt
30th May 2007, 21:10
Commercials suck.

pentti
30th May 2007, 23:27
Here in UK I get fantastic coverage by paying some $22 a month. Hardly any adds but a lot of in-car then Americans go to adds. With the same price we also get all Busch races+Nascar now. Briallant.

BobbyC
31st May 2007, 21:17
A NASCAR Nextel Cup Series rights fee is in the nine to ten figure range; an IRL rights fee is within the seven to eight figure range.

Haulin'AssAndTurnin Left
1st June 2007, 10:41
Here in UK I get fantastic coverage by paying some $22 a month. Hardly any adds but a lot of in-car then Americans go to adds. With the same price we also get all Busch races+Nascar now. Briallant.

I wouldnt exactly say that, NASN is a bloody joke. Not having the daytona 500 was not on and cutting the feed for martinsville, what was that about?. lucky we have TVU as backup or we would have been stuffed.