PDA

View Full Version : [WRC] 2025 News & Rumours

Andre Oliveira
23rd October 2024, 10:10
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/GakWqufX0AAEfzU?format=jpg&name=medium

2025 FIA Junior WRC: Portugal Returns, Central European Rally Debuts

The FIA Junior WRC calendar for 2025, unveiled today (23 October), promises another
thrilling season with the return of Vodafone Rally de Portugal and a debut for Central
European Rally.

Building on the record-breaking entry list of 2024, the 2025 championship is set to continue its momentum by offering rising talents the chance to showcase their skills in identical M-Sport Poland Ford Fiesta Rally3 Evo cars across five high-profile rounds of the FIA World Rally Championship.

The season revs into action in Umeå from 13 – 16 February with Rally Sweden, a high-speed spectacle on snow and ice that serves as the perfect season opener. For many Junior WRC crews, it will be their first experience of rallying with studded tyres on winter surfaces, where average speeds are often among the highest all year.

From 15 - 18 May, crews head to Matosinhos for Vodafone Rally de Portugal – a founding round of the 1973 WRC season and renowned for its passionate fanbase. Last appearing on the Junior WRC calendar in 2022, Portugal’s sun-soaked gravel stages have a reputation for delivering unforgettable drama.

The iconic EKO Acropolis Rally Greece takes centre stage from 26 – 29 June. Already one of the most gruelling rallies in the world, its move to a summer date will only intensify the challenge with scorching temperatures and punishing rocky terrain.

After its popular return this year, Secto Rally Finland once again forms the fourth and penultimate round. Ultra-high speeds and stomach-churning jumps are part and parcel of the gravel-based event, which is based in Jyväskylä from 31 July – 3 August.

The season concludes in style at Central European Rally, making its Junior WRC debut from 16 – 19 October. The event boasts a unique cross-border format with stages traversing Austria, the Czech Republic, and Germany. As a final twist, double classification points will be on offer, adding even more excitement to the championship finale. A life-changing prize will be awarded to the eventual champion, helping them to take the next step in the career with an arrive and drive package to use an M-Sport Ford Fiesta Rally2 on four European WRC2 rounds in 2026.

FIA Junior WRC championship manager Maciej Woda commented: “2025 is shaping up to be another landmark year for the FIA Junior WRC. We’ve designed a calendar that will challenge our crews across a variety of terrains, from icy roads in Sweden to the searing heat of Greece and the changeable Tarmac of Austria, the Czech Republic and Germany.

“I’m particularly excited about returning to Portugal and the introduction of Central European Rally, which adds a fresh dimension to the series. It’s going to be another thrilling season and I can’t wait to see who rises to the top.”

Eli
23rd October 2024, 15:12
https://dirtfish.com/rally/wrc/saturday-points-set-to-be-dropped-by-wrc-for-2025/

So the strangest season in a while, might be less strange next year?

rallyfiend
23rd October 2024, 15:41
What exactly does the FIA really do, if WRC Promoter is seemingly calling all the shots on the points system?

Eli
23rd October 2024, 16:05
What exactly does the FIA really do, if WRC Promoter is seemingly calling all the shots on the points system?

Make sure they call the shots lol

macebig
23rd October 2024, 16:29
FIA is just too focused on milking the F1 cow and trying to capitalize on the unexpected WEC success to fully care about fixing WRC issues... Sad but true. Disappointing with 2 former rallymen being at the helm...

TypeR
23rd October 2024, 18:15
Maybe suggest fia to try the new pointsystem already in Japan :D to be sure, it works haha

,,Neuville entered the chat'' :D

becher
23rd October 2024, 18:27
https://dirtfish.com/rally/wrc/saturday-points-set-to-be-dropped-by-wrc-for-2025/

So the strangest season in a while, might be less strange next year?
That is basically what most people around here proposed and asked for.

deephouse
23rd October 2024, 19:45

Fine drivers for swearing, making statements, donuts and also no reason.

Eli
23rd October 2024, 20:01
That is basically what most people around here proposed and asked for.

I'm aware and if they make that change I'll be glad about it, although there will still be the risk of second place outscoring first place (28 vs 25) or third place matching first place (if they manage to be quickest on Sunday).

CeskyOndra
23rd October 2024, 20:49
We get the value of rally wins back and enjoyable Sunday again.. What do you want more.. So there will be 35 points in offer in total? That's a lot.

Backa
24th October 2024, 06:49
We get the value of rally wins back and enjoyable Sunday again.. What do you want more..

Rally winner getting more points than everyone else no matter what happen on sunday.

One sunday classification with 6-5-4-3-2-1 would be best solution together with 25-18-15-12-10-8-6-4-2-1 for whole rally.

Morte66
24th October 2024, 06:49
I'm not clear whether the "5 points for Sunday" part means only 5 for the winner of Sunday, or 5-4-3-2-1 for the top five drivers over Sunday.

If it's just 5 for the fastest time on Sunday, I think that isn't enough and we'll see cruising again.

After watching the replays of last year's rally in Japan, I really don't want that.

Morte66
24th October 2024, 06:51
Rally winner getting more points than everyone else no matter what happen on sunday.

One sunday classification with 6-5-4-3-2-1 would be best solution together with 25-18-15-12-10-8-6-4-2-1 for whole rally.

I agree, but I suspect that commercial agreements mean they have to keep the power stage.

Morte66
24th October 2024, 06:59
there will still be the risk of second place outscoring first place (28 vs 25) or third place matching first place (if they manage to be quickest on Sunday).

It seems to me... Something like this would be unavoidable if you had enough points for Sunday to stop people from cruising, which was the object of the exercise. The maths is inevitable.

At least it means an end to "Saturday medals and Sunday medals and no clear winner". And it's an end to having a points system you can't explain to normal people. And it's an end to the 60-second lead at the end of Saturday being reset to zero on Sunday. It's back to having one rally.

Personally, I can't say I really mind second place occasionally getting a couple more points. To do it, they generally have to earn it.

Fast Eddie WRC
24th October 2024, 07:46
This revised points system sounds good and all that was needed instead of the ridiculous one used this year.

A score for the overall positions and a little extra for Sunday speed. Perfect.

AndyRAC
24th October 2024, 07:47
If the winner still doesn't get the most points, it's still a dumb system. They're tying themselves in knots all because of cruising on a Sunday.......It's part of motorsport, and always will be.

becher
24th October 2024, 08:06
I'm aware and if they make that change I'll be glad about it, although there will still be the risk of second place outscoring first place (28 vs 25) or third place matching first place (if they manage to be quickest on Sunday).

You had that sort of situation before with the powerstage (15+5=20; 18+0=18 for example) so I don't see a big issue with this.

The biggest issue with the old was not that the winner could be on 22 and third place on 24, but rather that the classification didn't give any points and we were back in a early sixties Monte with ("penalty-") points given for the covered legs.

The sport moved away from such things a long time ago and I'm pretty sure everyone agrees it was for the better.

becher
24th October 2024, 08:11
If the winner still doesn't get the most points, it's still a dumb system. They're tying themselves in knots all because of cruising on a Sunday.......It's part of motorsport, and always will be.

Shhh people don't want to hear anything about drivers managing a situation, they only want to claim that everyone was going flat out in the old days. Nobody was managing their tyres or fuel or car or position in the old days in any form of motorsport after all.

CeskyOndra
24th October 2024, 08:12

Wow thats perfect that it was always a part of motorsport, but you are living in 2024 and everyone needs new exciting things and lot of action.. How can you entertain new fans with full day of cruising.. We have to move on and we have to accept the changes..

Fast Eddie WRC
24th October 2024, 08:33
The WRC Sunday issue nowadays is with Rally.tv showing it all live, so we want to see cars going flat-out. If only the PS was shown, sometimes drivers going steady on the the other stages to ensure they finish wouldnt be an issue.

In effect it's all our fault ! ;)

denkimi
24th October 2024, 09:20

If the rally winner takes it safe on sunday he could go home with 25 points. If the number 2 wins everything on sunday he goes home with 28 points.

Winning a single stage, aka the powerstage, should yield no more than 3 points.

deephouse
24th October 2024, 09:42

I made leaderboard with this ''new 2025 point system''. With a reference to this year point system, it doesn't change nothing in a ranking of drivers, just like 2023 (old point system). But we could benefit it better without all that confusion. They just need to show sunday standings more often and I mean separately. It's even better and easier to calculate. So clearly at least they will get something right this time. It also shows that no matter how many here cry over Neuville being lucky and all that, in all 3 cases he is up there to win the title and Tanak being second. Those who decide over that rules are hitting the right spot this time, since we got the battle to the last stage of the each event, and thankful to the last event of the sseason. I can say it loud now, that this year's season is one of the best in recent years.

I also want to refer to previous claims, that second and third places will get more, but in that leaderboard it's clear that it's not many cases with that many of you are afraid. It's more common down the leaderboard somewhere 8-10 points. So I think they will get it right this time.

wyler
24th October 2024, 09:49
The WRC Sunday issue nowadays is with Rally.tv showing it all live, so we want to see cars going flat-out. If only the PS was shown, sometimes drivers going steady on the the other stages to ensure they finish wouldnt be an issue.

In effect it's all our fault ! ;)

mmm, spectating live on stage after an early wake up, some km walking in a forest and waiting only to see car at slow cruising, I assure u it's pretty irritating not only on tv

becher
24th October 2024, 09:58

I made leaderboard with this ''new 2025 point system''. With a reference to this year point system, it doesn't change nothing in a ranking of drivers, just like 2023 (old point system). But we could benefit it better without all that confusion. They just need to show sunday standings more often and I mean separately. It's even better and easier to calculate. So clearly at least they will get something right this time. It also shows that no matter how many here cry over Neuville being lucky and all that, in all 3 cases he is up there to win the title and Tanak being second. Those who decide over that rules are hitting the right spot this time, since we got the battle to the last stage of the each event, and thankful to the last event of the sseason. I can say it loud now, that this year's season is one of the best in recent years.

I also want to refer to previous claims, that second and third places will get more, but in that leaderboard it's clear that it's not many cases with that many of you are afraid. It's more common down the leaderboard somewhere 8-10 points. So I think they will get it right this time.

Thanks a lot! I wondered about this already. You also made the table for this year with the classic old points system right?

deephouse
24th October 2024, 10:03

Here it is, I posted this already in CER 2024 thread. But if anyone want to see it again, here it is. With also official 2024 system beside

Eli
24th October 2024, 10:38

Seems more reasonable, thank you for taking the time and energy and doing this table, I think I can say from all of us here we appreciate it a lot!
Now all THEY need to do, is ensure we don’t have 7 consecutive gravel rallies in 2026, if only to mix things up a bit, also, either find a different location for the rally in Japan or move it elsewhere please. Oh almost forgot, Wales rally GB needs to be the final round, thank you, should probably put this on a wish-list lol.

Fast Eddie WRC
24th October 2024, 12:14
mmm, spectating live on stage after an early wake up, some km walking in a forest and waiting only to see car at slow cruising, I assure u it's pretty irritating not only on tv

As has been said, this has been the case live for decades - if you didnt want to see cars driving just wanting to finish you had to attend stages on the first day or two.

Now with live tv WRC is competing for viewers and needs to show rallying looking super-exciting at all times. But really it's only rally fans that watch early on a Sunday morning, so it's for our benefit.

CarlC´son
24th October 2024, 13:06

I made leaderboard with this ''new 2025 point system''. With a reference to this year point system, it doesn't change nothing in a ranking of drivers, just like 2023 (old point system). But we could benefit it better without all that confusion.

Unfortunately, you can't make a direct comparison between the old and new points system, because the drivers of course has adapted their tactics according to what applies this particular season.

deephouse
24th October 2024, 14:41
Unfortunately, you can't make a direct comparison between the old and new points system, because the drivers of course has adapted their tactics according to what applies this particular season.

I'm aware of that, probably they would not push if the system would stay as 2023 on sunday. But they remove problem of sunday cruising with that system. I made also 2024 season with 2023 point system, so old system and only one or two places further down were different and some points, but the gap with chasers to Neuville would be bigger, but it's irrevelant, since almost all would rather take some points than take it all on sunday. What we also got this year is also, many offs on sunday. So it really shows that the system they implemented is somehow right. I kind of understand why they don't want to change mid season.. They just want to have time to really see and compare to previous year if the thing really works and have many possible scenarios, and we all got it. Now they can tweak it to better.

I personally like proposals for the 2025. I made that leaderboard just for comparision, because it's easier to see that way, we have 2 years to compare and is clearly seen that the system works but need better understanding (with new system all viewers can easily understand how it works, and can also tell new fans about it). And of course drivers is accepting tactics for particular season, but I don't see any difference between that aspect from this year and the next one, who is coming.

Also those who decide that rules also told, that they calculate different options and they come up with that solution. SOo nothing wrong with that.

CarlC´son
24th October 2024, 15:55
I'm aware of that, probably they would not push if the system would stay as 2023 on sunday. But they remove problem of sunday cruising with that system. I made also 2024 season with 2023 point system, so old system and only one or two places further down were different and some points, but the gap with chasers to Neuville would be bigger, but it's irrevelant, since almost all would rather take some points than take it all on sunday. What we also got this year is also, many offs on sunday. So it really shows that the system they implemented is somehow right. I kind of understand why they don't want to change mid season.. They just want to have time to really see and compare to previous year if the thing really works and have many possible scenarios, and we all got it. Now they can tweak it to better.

I personally like proposals for the 2025. I made that leaderboard just for comparision, because it's easier to see that way, we have 2 years to compare and is clearly seen that the system works but need better understanding (with new system all viewers can easily understand how it works, and can also tell new fans about it). And of course drivers is accepting tactics for particular season, but I don't see any difference between that aspect from this year and the next one, who is coming.

Also those who decide that rules also told, that they calculate different options and they come up with that solution. SOo nothing wrong with that.

There definitely are advantages to this year's points system as well, and the new proposal sounds a bit like the best of the old and the existing -however, I also think, as someone here mentioned earlier, that the power stage should only offer the possibility of a maximum of 3 points (3-2-1) so that the winner cannot under any circumstances get less points than the runner-up, AND that the Super Rally rule should be scrapped (which the FIA ​​won't do), to me, it doesn't feel right for the spirit of the sport.

deephouse
25th October 2024, 04:59
There definitely are advantages to this year's points system as well, and the new proposal sounds a bit like the best of the old and the existing -however, I also think, as someone here mentioned earlier, that the power stage should only offer the possibility of a maximum of 3 points (3-2-1) so that the winner cannot under any circumstances get less points than the runner-up, AND that the Super Rally rule should be scrapped (which the FIA ​​won't do), to me, it doesn't feel right for the spirit of the sport.

If super rally rule would be scrapped then we could get 3-4 rally1 cars for sundays only or even in saturday. As long as there is lack of those cars on the grid, that rule need to stay.

https://dirtfish.com/rally/wrc/why-ogier-wants-hybrid-to-stay-in-wrc/

A clue that Ogier may be on the grid next year?

denkimi
25th October 2024, 09:33
All we need is 18 point for the first 2 days, and 7 point for sunday. That would fix all the cruising without making it difficult.

Mary Mary
25th October 2024, 12:00
Unfortunately, you can't make a direct comparison between the old and new points system, because the drivers of course has adapted their tactics

If you understand that, how will this affect tactics for the better spirit of the sport?

the Super Rally rule should be scrapped (which the FIA ​​won't do), to me, it doesn't feel right for the spirit of the sport.

Managarium
25th October 2024, 12:26
https://i.postimg.cc/4NhM2jGS/Snimka-zaslona-2024-10-25-145925.jpg (https://postimages.org/)

Eli
25th October 2024, 16:14
https://dirtfish.com/rally/lancia-reveals-initial-plans-for-new-rally-program/

Yes I know, only Rally4, but one can hope no?

Fast Eddie WRC
25th October 2024, 16:59
Sesks in M-Sport talks...

https://dirtfish.com/rally/wrc/how-sesks-m-sport-talks-are-progressing/?fbclid=IwZXh0bgNhZW0CMTEAAR3vSCA9vT79qxrpOkvXABs0-0hl8j8h3_JokcPqBzECO_N_9ApKal6EOfU_aem_mv5Q-5AgQNXSPgG8AXvfAQ

becher
25th October 2024, 18:26
https://i.postimg.cc/4NhM2jGS/Snimka-zaslona-2024-10-25-145925.jpg (https://postimages.org/)

I don't see him getting into a Toyota in 26 either way. If Evans retires after 25 then I think Pajari is their man if they want a young guy. Maybe if they shift Katsuta back in to a separate team, but I'm not sure Solberg is an immediate upgrade for the manufacturers championship.

deephouse
25th October 2024, 20:08
https://dirtfish.com/rally/wrc/a-lancia-wrc-comeback-is-in-the-fias-hands/ good article about Lancia