PDA

View Full Version : Ireland WRC Sleep in car?

markpm
27th May 2007, 14:36
Hi all,

Thinking of going to the new Ireland WRC this year as its only a ferry ride from the IOM where I live.
Just wondering will I be able to go to stages the night before and sleep in the car like I did in Wales a few years ago?
Will we be allowed to do this?
Is anyone else planning on doing it this way?

Thanks...

sal
27th May 2007, 14:49
Hi all,

Is anyone else planning on doing it this way?

Thanks...

You and half of Europe...

chrisc
27th May 2007, 19:15
thats what i plan on doin

J4MIE
28th May 2007, 10:22
Would think that there'll be thousands and thousands of people doing the same as most accommoddation has been booked up in the area. Should be very very busy but a great atmosphere and plenty of WRCs! Can't wait! :up:

RallyCat909
29th May 2007, 03:36
I bet the island sinks a half inch the week of the rally. :D

Xeroid
29th May 2007, 10:30
Just absorb plenty of Guinness and she'll be sweet . . .

hype
29th May 2007, 21:41
Isn't that a bit too cold in November? :o

gwanyagoodting
5th June 2007, 08:44
Hi everyone
I have space to do B&B for 3-6 people (3 double beds). I'm central (5 mins) to Day 1 of Donegal Rally and about 30 mins from days 2 and 3. I'm a native, I'll be a spectator, so can also provide transport.
Similar story for Rally Ireland. About 40/45 mins from Stage 18& 19, in Donegal, and stages 10 to 17 are about 40 mins to an hour away. I know the how to get to them (not rocket science, I know) so I can also provide transport to those.

J4MIE
6th June 2007, 01:00
Isn't that a bit too cold in November? :o

Of course, but you can't beat it :D

Mintexmemory
18th July 2007, 20:52
After due consideration couldn't face being herded like cattle in Wales, so going to Ireland to see what always looks like a relatively relaxed environment to spectate on the videos. Planning on Sloughan Glen for Morning and first 20 in afternoon then off to Tempo for last stage. Could any locals tell me if this is a viable plan.
Fardross on Sun morn then pick up cheese and bacon from Clogagh Spar shop before driving back to Dub

J4MIE
22nd July 2007, 21:49
After due consideration couldn't face being herded like cattle in Wales, so going to Ireland to see what always looks like a relatively relaxed environment to spectate on the videos. Planning on Sloughan Glen for Morning and first 20 in afternoon then off to Tempo for last stage. Could any locals tell me if this is a viable plan.
Fardross on Sun morn then pick up cheese and bacon from Clogagh Spar shop before driving back to Dub

Looks like spectators will be bussed to the stages to try and get round the congestion problem. Don't be so sure about avoiding pens just yet... :s

Mintexmemory
1st August 2007, 21:33
Yes, saw the 'park & ride' reference on the website. Can't see it working in the middle of November for the numbers they'll have to cope with. The stages are far more approachable from a variety of directions and hence will be harder to restrict access then say Eppynt.

Doon
21st August 2007, 12:54
Looks like spectators will be bussed to the stages to try and get round the congestion problem. Don't be so sure about avoiding pens just yet... :s

What?? So will there be no access by car to the stages? That would be a nightmare, would take hours to get to see anything and would ruin the spirit of rally spectating! Hope it doesn't happen. :(

AndyRAC
23rd August 2007, 12:42
What?? So will there be no access by car to the stages? That would be a nightmare, would take hours to get to see anything and would ruin the spirit of rally spectating! Hope it doesn't happen. :(

If I were you I'd prepare to be disappointed, Idon't think they could cope with the amount of spectators cars on the route. Busing the fans in doesn't seem right though, I wasn't sure about going but if this is the case, there's no way I'm going. I'm sure 'sheep pens' will be in operation, in Ireland as well - first time in WRC, they won't want anything to go wrong.

Doon
23rd August 2007, 15:06
Has anyone heard anythng about this issue other than the 'park & and ride info' statement on the Rally Ireland website?

If it happens, i'm out! Went to Laguna Seca for the Moto GP (not really a fan,was just in the area) last year and we were waiting for hours for buses because everyone wants to leave at the same time. Also at a rally you need to be more prepared due to the lack of facilities; food, shelter, beer ;) etc.....

I don't mind sheep pens all that much as i realise its a safety thing and sometimes it can make for a better atmosphere......but catching a bus to a rally....F**k that!

Sweetlamb95
23rd August 2007, 19:10
Shuttle busses for spectators in Ireland would be a nightmare for me..and maybe a reason to cancel our flight and hotel we already booked to visit the rallye.
I tried the shuttle bus system couple of years ago at the "panzerplatte stage" in Germany and many times at national events,they never work!!!
I would rather walk 10 miles to the stage,than waiting endless and then be sqashed into those busses.

Greets
Sweetlamb :vader:

Doon
23rd August 2007, 20:06
Good call Sweetlamb!

This could work the other way for the organisers, by the spectator numbers going belly-up because nobody wants to comply with the rules...thus not going at all! Then we have a situation where Ireland is deemed a disaster because of the park and ride system.

IMO it' a bad move by the organisers if they go ahead with the park and ride system. It would be better to have a one-way parking system, on a road near the stage, and make the species walk! I remember on ouninpojha a few years ago i had to walk 5km+, but i didn't care.....i didn't have to wait for a bus!

Regards

Pawprint
8th September 2007, 09:55
Well, on epynt they just have a huge track with parking space either side for about a mile before the stage. Worked well enough last year. Any your not really penned in - its just a restiction on some spectator areas, so theres plently or dpace to wonder around. The way you came to get to your spectating position, for example.

Doon
12th September 2007, 17:01
Pawprint, this can be done in Wales as it is in a forest, away from public roads. It's done on pretty much all WRGB stages....except the Walters. I suppose this can't be done as Rally Ireland is run on public tarmac roads and the organisers don't want the roads near or on the route to be full of spectator cars.

Pawprint
16th September 2007, 18:38
hhhhhhhhmmmmmmm.

I expirienced the joy of shuttle busses at Fort William last week, and wasnt a nice expirience. I cant see it working at the rally, but it could be the only way.

wrcfreak2121
19th September 2007, 23:47
I have done it for years, Germany, Monte, Sardinia, Cyprus Spain etc. Tons of people do it. Its the best way! I Get there the night before. Have a quick recce of part of the stage were your near so when you wake up the following day you already know the best spots. No walking for miles too. Best to stay Sunday night in hotel as roads are blocked so risky to try and make it to an airport etc unless its a late dept plus you would be minging having slwpt in car for 4 nights !!

Pawprint
26th September 2007, 22:43
Ive seen the videos of loads of fans taking campervans, mates, and beer :) up into the alps where everyone cmes together for a huge party lasting 'till the next morning's stage! :D

Doon
9th October 2007, 18:13
Just seen in last weeks MN, that you can get a ferry to Rally Ireland, car and 4 people, for £99! booked it........will pack it, and.... hope fully f**k off in a few weeks!

Simmi
27th October 2007, 13:55
I really wish they would release Park and Ride details on the site as it is getting very close now. It does say there will be limited parking outside of the stages.

The maps of individual stages are not up either from what I can see so they really are cutting it fine. Not making it easy to organise by any means.