PDA

View Full Version : Grammar Schools - Cameron withdraws his support!

raphael123
25th May 2007, 19:42
Wow, it would seem Cameron is trying to change what Tories stand for, probably because he knows he won't win an election otherwise.

What are people's opinon of Grammar schools?

Brown, Jon Brow
25th May 2007, 19:48
Dunno. Didn't go to one :s Its just posh folk that go init :erm:

(Brown, jon brow comes into his element :cool: )

raphael123
26th May 2007, 00:00
lol no - it's based on your intelligence. You sit the 11+ test (at 11 obv) to see how clever you are, and all the clever kid's go to the grammar schools, which are supposedly designed for the more intellectual kids.

Captain VXR
26th May 2007, 09:04
My dad went to a grammar school. A bit unfair though, having the clever people segregated completely from the not so clever

Brown, Jon Brow
26th May 2007, 10:53
lol no - it's based on your intelligence. You sit the 11+ test (at 11 obv) to see how clever you are, and all the clever kid's go to the grammar schools, which are supposedly designed for the more intellectual kids.

Oh yes. I remember the 11+ I did to get into Lancaster Boys Royal Grammar. I did very well on the Maths paper and then failed the English one (and it was mostly deliberate ;) )I didn't put that much effort into it because my best friend was going to the local High School. :o Anyway, if I wanted to, I could of still got into Lancaster Grammar to do A-levels after my GCSE's as my High School didn't have a 6th form. But I chose Cardinal Newman College in Preston because its better :p

tony_yeboah
26th May 2007, 17:37
i went to skegness grammar school.

Grammar schools are a good thing to have because the people who want to learn can do so without the thick kids holding them back.

raphael123
26th May 2007, 20:57
i went to skegness grammar school.

Grammar schools are a good thing to have because the people who want to learn can do so without the thick kids holding them back.

Do you think it's right that a child's future is decided at 11 though?

Like Jon Brown said, he almost deliberately failed just so he could 'stay with his friend'. I know other people who failed on purpose because the uniform was purple at the grammar school etc - at 11 your simply way too immature I think.

I think streaming in secondary schools can counter the arguement that thicker kids hold up the more intellectual ones.

Brown, Jon Brow
26th May 2007, 21:15
I think streaming in secondary schools can counter the arguement that thicker kids hold up the more intellectual ones.

I don't think that that is much of an issue, as at most schools subjects have different sets. 1-6 at my school (set 1 for bright kids and set 6 for the 'thicker' kids) However, I don't know what state schools are like in inner city areas :s

Maybe Grammar schools aren't as special any more due to regulations they have to meet. E.g positive discrimination such a certain number of children with special needs or children from certain backgrounds (ethnicity etc) :s

raphael123
27th May 2007, 01:22
When was you last in school John? Last I heard, was that the last 2-3yrs most schools have been encouraged to abolish streaming, saying the self fulfilling prophecy, of putting a kid in e.g. Set 6 results in them expecting them to fail, and therefore failing. Therefore pupils are picked in classes randomly, rather than based on ability.

Caroline
27th May 2007, 10:14
Sreaming is actively used in both primary and secondary schools. Some feel it is a devisive tool (parents usually), others feel it is necessary to allow effective teaching. If asked I would say that non streaming would be letting the more able and at the other end of the scale, the least able down. There is no point in picking randomly to fill a class, unless to separate pupils with behaviour issues.

GridGirl
27th May 2007, 10:39
I never went to a grammar school mainly becuase the closest one is about 10 miles away. If I'd of had the chance I wouldn't have minded going to one if it was a better school than the one I actually ended up going to.

Hell people are actively moving house these days to get their kids in catchment areas for the best schools. Doesn't mean it has to be a grammar school, but its still a form of selection if not based on a childs academic abilities but the school's achievements in general. My old nextdoor neighbours moved to a different area about 6 months ago for that very reaosn.

inimitablestoo
27th May 2007, 10:49
I'm another product of the grammar school system so it doesn't always work :s