PDA

View Full Version : Spectating Finland - tips needed

Jonte
24th May 2007, 12:03
Hi

I havent been to rally finland since 1996, so it is about time. My trip is booked and I will be there two days - friday and saturday. We will stay in Tampere (they had hotel rooms left).

Last time I went there I got stuck in queues for 6 hrs... terrible. Therefore Im trying something new - motorcykle! An African twinn!

So - where and wich stages must I see?

What are the possibilities to "walk around"? Are you stuck at spectator areas or can you walk to your own spots?

Prefferable I would like to visit high speed jumps and fast corners.

Thanks!!!

ettelbruck
24th May 2007, 12:49
For sure you are more stuck to spectator areas than 1996. If you want to take own spot be there in advance and be "invisible" so they don't notice you.

By motorcycle you can beat the queues, more or less.

For saturday there are basicly two alternatives: go to Ouninpohja (driven twice) and stay there or NOT go to Ouninpohja but instead e.g Juupajoki - Leustu - Ehikki (driven twice).

Friday has more possibilities. And always things are little different if you watch just top cars and try to see more stages. But remember, polices with radars are out there!!!

For finding jumps and fast corners buy VM (Vauhdin Maailma) Rally Finland special issue as soon as you arrive and study the route, basicly every good spot is on those "pacenotes".

A.F.F.
24th May 2007, 21:03
High speed jumps and fast corners??? There's hardly any of those in NORF :D

All that ettelbruck told above is true. Following the top cars from stage to stage is the best way to be jammed as many other will do the same. Motorcycle will help a bit but still, expect to queue. If you spend more time at stages, the biggest rush will be over and it's easier ( and quicker) to travel. Don't try to make too ambitious plan! Make sure you take enough time to get from stage to stage.

The most famous spot are usually crowded and also there are many marshalls. if you want to walk around and find your own private spot, dive in to forest and sneak there for a while. But, there will be a chopper to spot out those who try to get own places which are not considered as safe.

And buy that Vauhdin Maailma. It's pretty handy. you can get your rally pass from Neste gas station too.

Jonte
25th May 2007, 08:39
From what I've seen on TV and DVDs it looks like the part after (1 km) the famous jump at Ouninphja seems to be fast and quite safe.

Is it really worth thinking about going there....? Where do ou park? Do you reach that area from the north (road E63).

The part about 2 km before also seems nice. Was that where Sordo had his big impact last year?

ettelbruck
25th May 2007, 10:24
If you want to go the THE jump (yellow house, used to be white house), be in time, so many others go there.

Previous couple of kms are nice, there is e.g. the spot where Lindholm lost his lead on 307. Those places are not that crowded (believe me, my wife is 153cm tall - so we has to find place where she can easily see!) but small forest roads from E63 are very crowded, as also the parking areas. However, even by car I would drive to those and see just two stages than walk from jammed E63.

A.F.F.
25th May 2007, 11:01
If you want to go the THE jump (yellow house, used to be white house), be in time, so many others go there.

Previous couple of kms are nice, there is e.g. the spot where Lindholm lost his lead on 307. Those places are not that crowded (believe me, my wife is 153cm tall - so we has to find place where she can easily see!) but small forest roads from E63 are very crowded, as also the parking areas. However, even by car I would drive to those and see just two stages than walk from jammed E63.

One tip more. If you want to go to the yellow house jump, just hope for the best. Three years ago I was there with couple of forumers and it didn't help how early we were there. The place was so crowded that I basicly saw the roofs of the ccar when they jump behind the people.

Three kilometers before the jumps there are excellent locations to spectate.

Also, the place where Sordo ( and Garde ) rolled and crashed are pretty good too.

BTW. ettelbruck, my wife is 155 cm. :D It's nice to be married with a hobbit :p :

Jonte
25th May 2007, 12:34
Now my MC-friend has change his mind, so there wount be an MC. But instead Im thinking about bringing my mountainbike and (if I decide to go to Ouninpohja) park along E63 and cykle the rest of the km down to the stage.

The yellow house-jump Im not really interested in. Ive been to Colins Crest in sweden too many times. But hte spot(s) 3 km before sounds interesting. On the map it looks like you could get there from the north (E63), about 3 km.

Your rekommedation (3 km before the jums), is it near by the lake Naarajärvi (north of the stage)?

BTW - thanks for all the tips so far!

A.F.F.
25th May 2007, 12:55
Ok, I should have been more specific. There are many good spectating points throughout three kilometers to the start from the yellow house jump. Sorry, my bad :)

DonJippo
25th May 2007, 13:19
My trip is booked and I will be there two days - friday and saturday. We will stay in Tampere

As you stay in Tampere you can drive through Ouninpohja on Friday as it's on your way to/from stages on Friday and that way find the best place for you to spectate.

DonJippo
25th May 2007, 13:20
BTW. ettelbruck, my wife is 155 cm. :D It's nice to be married with a hobbit :p :

:wave: count me in :p :

Jonte
25th May 2007, 14:21
As you stay in Tampere you can drive through Ouninpohja on Friday as it's on your way to/from stages on Friday and that way find the best place for you to spectate.

Very good idea!

Any other inside tips of stages? What about friday?

A.F.F.
25th May 2007, 16:52
I actually haven't decided my program for friday yet, except the last loop of the day, I'll choose SS 10 jukojärvi over SS8 Urria.

Last year I was in Vellipohja and it was pretty good :up: This year I probably choose something else, Palsankylä both run maybe.

Artep
21st June 2007, 20:45
hey guys.

shock beyond belief, it looks like I'll actually get the time off to come to Finland, so I am in need of many tips:

IS it better to fly into Helsinki and make my way to rally or fly straight into....i can't type it correctly, Jyvaskyla?

Best places to stay?

Anybody want to help me out and befriend me out on the stages? Rallies aren't as much fun on your own,......

Daniel
25th June 2007, 13:33
Hey :)

If you can somehow meet up with the main forum group I'm sure people would be happy to have you along :) I'd fly to Helsinki. It's lovely and the drive up is a nice one and you get to see such nice lakes as number 173 and my alltime favourite number 759. Finland is good even on your own. you're bound to meet a drunk or 20 :laugh:

Artep
30th June 2007, 00:33
oh, i'm expecting plenty of drunks, don't worry! :P

would be cool to meet up with the forum guys! Who was I speaking to..Colin from WRR mentioned flying into Tampere instead of Helsinki...I'll see, I'm organising my time off first, and then organising Finland! But hoepfully I'll meet with some of you there?

J4MIE
1st July 2007, 11:26
Ryanair fly to Tampere, most airlines fly to Helsinki and then you'd need a connection to Jyvaskyla.

Daniel
1st July 2007, 11:51
Use someone like www.travelsupermarket.com (http://www.travelsupermarket.com) or www.expedia.co.uk (http://www.expedia.co.uk) to find the best fare. It will probably cheapest to go to Tampere with Ryanair though :)

Artep
23rd July 2007, 11:33
ok guys...

another question, if anyone is still lurking around.

best option - get own car and drive out to stages, yes? and where is a good place to sleep? (ultimately, the car makes a good hotel, except it has no shower!)

...i so should have organised this ages ago, but i wasn't sure if i'd be able to get the time off work!

Viktory
25th July 2007, 15:56
the car works. No shower? don't worry, your out in the Finnish nature, no one will care :) Take a dip in one of the lakes if you want a rinse, they are clean and nice to take a swim in.

Jonte
15th August 2007, 11:18
Summary:

A good rally, perfect weather and quite good stages. Too much marshalls and a little bit too crowdy for my taste. But still - Finland is good, really good! I will refer to my film, if you want to see what it looked like.

Film:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ueE8U9OxYQE

SS2 Vellipohja 1
Went in from the start and we stood at the jumps shown on TV (film at 01.02). It looks far better on TV than in real life. There was a lot of cut down wood next to the road, so I could'nt see very good. That spot was bad, however, 500 m before it was great (film at 02.29) and I regret not standing there (I almost did, but you know how it is - "wonder what it looks like around next corner?"). I would recommend the spot, but not where I stood. Stand at the end of the long straight with all the small jumps.
Also I have a feeling that the drivers wasnt really up to speed (after all, it was only 2 km into the very first stage).

SS5 Vellipohja 2
I was too restless to wait at the same spot (otherwise I would have stood at the place above). Instead we went to the middle of the stage (10 km, film at 01.10) just before the second junction. I needed to get some speed feeling and got it, since it was possible to stand close to the road. The cars showed up over a sideways crest on top of a long downhill. Not the most spectacular I've seen, but still OK. Easy access and not too much crowd or marshalls... Easy to walk around to get different spots (ex film at 02.57)Recommendation - see SS2.

SS8 Urria
We stod after a fast jump combination (about 5 km into the stage, film at 00.58) but we were forced into the forest. That ment you didnt get the right feeling. 300 m before that spot ther is a fast sideways jump, but you couldn get close to that either. I am a little bit dissapointed. Perhaps I should have stood closer to the jump (film at 03.28).

SS15 Leustu
First we went to the "Wilks"-jump a few km into the stage, but it was a little bit too crowdy for me. Insted we parked at an inside 300 m before (film at 00.54) the big jump. Really good feeling. Loved it - just look at Pons! No marshalls disturbing you. Then we walked towards the start and stood by the end of the long fast straight (film at 00.43 and 01.22). Also nice - especially in combination with the fast inside we stood at first. SS15 was acctually the best spot this weekend.

We stayed at a hotell in Tampere, at it was OK TP. The road is good up too the rally area.

Koppomsbo
21st February 2008, 17:04
How do i find bus or train times between Helsningfors and Jyvaskyla?

kaarlov
21st February 2008, 18:02
How do i find bus or train times between Helsningfors and Jyvaskyla?

Trains (in Swedish): http://www.vr.fi/heo/sve/index.html
Long distance buses (in English): http://expressbus.com/?id=101

Koppomsbo
22nd February 2008, 06:04
Great thanks :)

11th March 2008, 10:00
An Umbertino-style building, the hotel is in Rome city centre, within one kilometre of St. Peter's Square in the Vatican City. The 45 air-conditioned guestrooms have elegant décor and include minibars, hair dryers, direct dial phones and televisions. Guests can enjoy buffet breakfast on the patio, relax with a drink in the lounge bar, or order a snack from room service.