PDA

View Full Version : NASCAR needs more women?

arenateam
23rd May 2007, 20:37
Indy has plenty: http://raceweekonline.com/video.aspx?itemID=1001213356

Jag_Warrior
24th May 2007, 04:30
Well, hopefully NASCAR would go for the immense depth of talent that the NHRA has in its female racers, rather than the ovary count that a weakened Indy 500 has to do to drum up some press.

As far as "cultural diversity", IMO, the NHRA is doing it the right way: survival of the fittest.

Say, whatever happened to Leilani Münter? I don't know if she had the talent to make it to Nextel Cup, but she seemed to have the desire. I think she just got a late start, which involved getting an education. Imagine a better looking, more polished version of Danica, who uses multisyllabic words without effort.

But as much as I think NASCAR would like to have a female driver or three, I don't think they'd allow (or need) the PR display that will take place this weekend at IMS.

Lee Roy
24th May 2007, 10:59
Well, hopefully NASCAR would go for the immense depth of talent that the NHRA has in its female racers, rather than the ovary count that a weakened Indy 500 has to do to drum up some press.

As far as "cultural diversity", IMO, the NHRA is doing it the right way: survival of the fittest.

Say, whatever happened to Leilani Münter? I don't know if she had the talent to make it to Nextel Cup, but she seemed to have the desire. I think she just got a late start, which involved getting an education. Imagine a better looking, more polished version of Danica, who uses multisyllabic words without effort.

But as much as I think NASCAR would like to have a female driver or three, I don't think they'd allow (or need) the PR display that will take place this weekend at IMS.

Thanks. I was wanting to say the same thing, but it's so easy to sound sexist. Good job.

harvick#1
24th May 2007, 12:31
what Jag said :up:

If someone is good enough, then good for them, but if not, tough break, go join the IRL :p :

Old3Fan
24th May 2007, 18:25
Great, more backmarkers to stink up the track. Don't you think there are enough already? WHEN I see a female driver WINNER in a major series I will rethink my, I know, sexist thoughts.

Sparky1329
24th May 2007, 19:35

:up:

tstran17_88
25th May 2007, 03:35
All this PC BS just drives me nuts! What’s with this pressing need to get a gal behind the wheel of a NASCAR stock car? If there is a female that is good enough, she’ll get the chance.

Ever since I’ve been following NASCAR, there has been a woman in one of NASCAR’s top three series...actually it was top two series when I first started to follow. Albeit, a few of those woman were given the ride for ‘other’ reasons than driving ability.

I mean if they are really looking for a gal to pilot a Nextel cup car, put David Stremme's mom in the car. She's won track championships.

Sorry if I missed the point, I'm just going off what I've read from everyone's post. I can't get Flash to work on my computer and Microsoft or AT&T/Yahoo don't have a fix. I almost think it's the lastest version of IE 8. Ever since they downloaded it at work for me, Flash hasn't worked there as well.

jslone
25th May 2007, 03:57
Well maybe a woman can go to MRW racing,they sure as hell need some good drivers.

tstran17_88
25th May 2007, 04:03
They need a heck of a lot more than that. Even the greatest woman to ever strap herself in wouldn't be enough to bail Mikey out!

Mark in Oshawa
27th May 2007, 20:11
The thing is, women are not participating in suffcient numbers for any one woman to be seen as anything but a novelty, EVEN she is good enough. The sad thing is, many thought Erin Crocker would be the one. Turns out she was using her feminine wiles in other ways......

NHRA has done what the other series haven't by just not trying. Women are drawn to the drags as well mainly because their physiques and stamina are NOT an issue. Drag racing is all about reaction time and hanging onto the car for 5 to 10 seconds. Women are not at the disadvantage in any way, and what is more, in Drag racing, they have proven to be the equal of any men. However, in sports where endurance combined with physical strength are required, they have a tougher time. The IRL has seemed to really gone for promoting this, and they have one woman who might be competitive at times, but the hype and BS surrounding Danicamania have made their broadcasts unwatchable. NASCAR would be do better to just encourage women trying to reach the top based on their abilities and not their hype or beauty. Follow NHRA's example and do nothing. IF a woman makes it based on how well she drives, it is a good thing. That is what women say they want. To compete on a equal basis. I personally don't see women competing in Cup and being really competitive any time soon. All NASCAR has to do is just make sure no one is stopping them or any minority for that matter from competiting. Let the best be in rides.....simple as that. If a woman can cut it, well she will get the attention that makes Danica mania look like a waste of time...

colinspooky
30th May 2007, 02:06
Are you allowed to say Munter on this forum? :(