PDA

View Full Version : Martin to sub in #24 when baby arrives?

Lee Roy
23rd May 2007, 17:11
http://www.jayski.com

Would Gordon have done this if it weren't for "The Chase"?

It would be nice to see what Martin could do in the #24.

Martin to sub for Jeff Gordon when baby arrives? If #24-Jeff Gordon is forced to miss a race to attend the birth of his daughter, series veteran Mark Martin will man the #24 DuPont Chevy, multiple sources within the Hendrick Motorsports organization told ESPN.com Wednesday. Martin on Wednesday afternoon will be fitted for a racing seat in preparation for the substitute role, sources said, and plans to begin stand-by duty for Gordon at Infineon Raceway next month. Hendrick Motorsports officials chose not to comment, saying rather that Gordon would address the matter Thursday at Lowe's Motor Speedway, site of this weekend's Coca-Cola 600. Sources said Gordon personally sought out Martin to stand in for him, and after clearing the idea with Ginn Racing officials, Martin gladly accepted. Gordon's wife, Ingrid Vandebosch, is due the week of the June 24 Toyota/Save Mart 350 at Sonoma. Martin will fly to Sonoma, during a weekend when he is slated to be idle from racing. If Gordon doesn't require his services, Martin will remain on hand to coach Regan Smith in the #01 US Army Chevy [Ginn Racing]. According to NASCAR officials, Martin could get in the #24 without practicing in the car, so long as Nextel Cup director John Darby gives his blessing. Given Martin's veteran experience, that would seem to be all but a foregone conclusion. If baby Gordon arrives a week early, sources said Martin will turn the #01 Chevrolet over to Smith at Michigan Speedway and drive the #24 for Gordon. Likewise, in the event the baby is a week late, Martin would sub for Gordon at New Hampshire. Gordon hasn't missed a race in his Cup Series career, a span of 484 consecutive races. The last race run without Gordon in the field was the 28th race of the 1992 season, at Phoenix International Raceway.(ESPN.com)(5-23-2007)

Sparky1329
23rd May 2007, 18:48
Good idea. I can't think of a better and more competent sub for Jeff if he needs one. :) :up:

#6CupFan
23rd May 2007, 22:07
With so many scheduled deliveries now, I'm surprised there has to be a plan in place.

Kudos to Gordon for putting family first and the willingness to miss a race for the birth. :up:

Martin in the 24 at Michigan or Infineon...those are a couple of dandy tracks for him. The results would definately be interesting!

My favorite driver in our employers car...guess that makes for a good Sunday :up: :D

ms0362
23rd May 2007, 22:19
Wow... after 19 years of Mark in a Ford, this is weird to take. But.... I bet he'll do a great job.

call_me_andrew
23rd May 2007, 23:00
Good idea. I can't think of a better and more competent sub for Jeff if he needs one. :) :up:

I could think of several. All of them road course ringers.

RaceFanStan
23rd May 2007, 23:55
It is good that Jeff Gordon is planning ahead .....
however the driver who STARTS the race gets the points .....
if Jeff Gordon is called away before the START of the race, the driver who starts gets the points .....
it is good that Jeff Gordon has built-up over a one race cushion in the points as he may need it. :eek:

#6CupFan
24th May 2007, 01:37

Find me several with stats like Martin's on the NASCAR road courses...

From 1990 to 2006 (that's 34 races)...27 top 10's, 18 of those top 5's, 6 runner up finishes, and FOUR wins, ALL from POLE.

Good luck with that. :up: ;)

I also see this as a nice way for Mark to get even closer to making the Chase as a part timer ;) Had to throw that in :up: :D

Lee Roy
24th May 2007, 02:09

Bingo. Last time one of those ringers won a Cup race was 1973. They've had their a$$ handed to them over the last 35 years by the Cup regulars.

Sparky1329
24th May 2007, 02:10

My money would still be on Mark Martin.

harvick#1
24th May 2007, 02:23
my respect for Jeff just went up alittle, very classy of him thinking family first.

harvick#1
24th May 2007, 02:26
Bingo. Last time one of those ringers won a Cup race was 1973. They've had their a$$ handed to them over the last 35 years by the Cup regulars.

but when you look at the past with the ringers, they've been in some pretty poor cars, with poor crews.

if a Boris or any of the others drove the race with a top team they'ed lap the field.

but I would like to see some of those Audi drivers run or Penske run a third car for Sascha Massan :D now that would be fun to watch

Lee Roy
24th May 2007, 03:51
but when you look at the past with the ringers, they've been in some pretty poor cars, with poor crews.

And some have been in some top flite cars. No different.

Hoss Ghoul
24th May 2007, 05:10
Harvick#1, you are obsessed with Sascha Massan, he's a good sports car driver, but he's not all that...

Also, it is my opinion that the differences between teams is marginalized on a road course.

Also, please note that drivers like Scott Pruett and Ron Fellows have been in good cars at Road Courses and have not "lapped the field".

Lee Roy
24th May 2007, 10:57
Also, please note that drivers like Scott Pruett and Ron Fellows have been in good cars at Road Courses and have not "lapped the field".

Don't confuse Harvick#1 with facts.

harvick#1
24th May 2007, 12:28
oh yeah I sort of forgot that Nascar doesn't know how to run a road course race for the life of themselves.

BobbyC
24th May 2007, 12:57
These guys who do road race learn that many philosophies are completely different. Being gentle on the tires, heavy cars without the super grip levels of a regular sportscar make them harder to drive.

And oh, by the way; Hendrick will have officials ready to remove all Pepsico and Jeff Gordon decals on the #24 if Mark gets in the car. Mark is a rival driver (Coca-Cola) and even had the Coca-Cola decals on his #5 Busch car recently, so Mark will have special decals (his signature, and the Coca-Cola on the window sill) if he takes over the #24.

Mark is all class and is probably excited to grab the coach's cap and teach his students how to properly road race.

Lee Roy
24th May 2007, 12:58
oh yeah I sort of forgot that Nascar doesn't know how to run a road course race for the life of themselves.

Name a professional racing series in this country that's been running road course races longer than NASCAR.

They're kinda few and far between.

RaceFanStan
24th May 2007, 13:02
Mike Helton has demanded that Jeff Gordon's baby to be born on a Monday ...... :s hock:

;)
:laugh:

Rex Monaco
24th May 2007, 16:22
Mark is a rival driver (Coca-Cola) and even had the Coca-Cola decals on his #5 Busch car recently, so Mark will have special decals (his signature, and the Coca-Cola on the window sill) if he takes over the #24.

I can't wait for the diecast version!!

Old3Fan
24th May 2007, 18:18
I think Earnhardt Jr. would be a better replacement. Get a little more practice in Hendricks equipment prior to the Shrub being sent packing and the hiring of Jr which is where he really wants to go. And that would be a winning team with winning cars and the best equipment and team in the stable.

harvick#1
24th May 2007, 18:33
Name a professional racing series in this country that's been running road course races longer than NASCAR.

They're kinda few and far between.

I have never seen such butchered cautions than in anyother form of Road Course racing, when there is a single car spin, there should only be a temp caution for that area, There should be something seriously wrong for there to be a full course yellow on a Road Course.

Lee Roy
24th May 2007, 18:50
I have never seen such butchered cautions than in anyother form of Road Course racing, when there is a single car spin, there should only be a temp caution for that area, There should be something seriously wrong for there to be a full course yellow on a Road Course.

So, you can't answer the question.

Thanks.

harvick#1
24th May 2007, 18:54
it doesn't matter if they have been running them longer, its how they are run by the officials. plus two Road Course races a year out of 36 is hardly anything to be proud of. they should add about 5 more.

they've run Lemans for 75 years, I'm not sure how long it dates back to as the cars being in sister series.

F1 has to be around for quite awhile too.

Lee Roy
24th May 2007, 19:02
they've run Lemans for 75 years, I'm not sure how long it dates back to as the cars being in sister series.

F1 has to be around for quite awhile too.

I was talking about the US.

harvick#1
24th May 2007, 21:49
then no,

but there really haven't been many series, Cart/Champ Car would be really the only one closest

Lee Roy
25th May 2007, 01:25
then no,

but there really haven't been many series, Cart/Champ Car would be really the only one closest

CART died.

djarumdudley
25th May 2007, 05:52
between this story, the move to Ginn(Hendrick satellite), and the Hendrick Busch rides, kinda makes me wonder how involved(financially or otherwise) behind the scenes was Rick Hendrick in getting MarK Martin to move to chevy.

call_me_andrew
25th May 2007, 06:17

From 1990 to 2006 (that's 34 races)...27 top 10's, 18 of those top 5's, 6 runner up finishes, and FOUR wins, ALL from POLE.

Good luck with that. :up: ;)

I also see this as a nice way for Mark to get even closer to making the Chase as a part timer ;) Had to throw that in :up: :D

That's the problem: 34 races!

His last road course win was at Sears Point in 1997. That's almost 10 years ago! The track has been reconfigured 3 times since then!

EDIT: In 1997 the race was on May 5, so it has been 10 years.

CART died.

Hence the /Champ Car. Champ Car bought CART's assets; therefore, CART's history belongs to Champ Car. CART got their history from USAC, and USAC got their history from AAA.

Lee Roy
25th May 2007, 10:59
Hence the /Champ Car. Champ Car bought CART's assets; therefore, CART's history belongs to Champ Car. CART got their history from USAC, and USAC got their history from AAA.

Yet, when Champ Car's lack of success (poor car counts, next to non-existent TV ratings, numerous failed races, etc.) is cited, the appologists claim that Champ Car has only been around since 2003.

Can't have it both ways.

#6CupFan
25th May 2007, 17:41
That's the problem: 34 races!

His last road course win was at Sears Point in 1997. That's almost 10 years ago! The track has been reconfigured 3 times since then!

EDIT: In 1997 the race was on May 5, so it has been 10 years.

Since that last win, he's had 14 top 10's, 6 of which were top 5's, and 4 runner-ups (the last in '04!).

18 races, 14 top 10's.

I just can't see the doubt here that he's a very suitable and most-qualified stand-in for Jeff Gordon on a road course, or anywhere :D :up:

tstran17_88
25th May 2007, 19:06
I was at Watkins Glen for the Winston Cup race in 1995...who won that race? Oh yeah...Mark Martin, which was his third in a row at that track. I'd never doubt his abilities on a road course, much less any other type of track.