PDA

View Full Version : WRC2 news & rumors 2024

Pages : [1] 2

Jarek Z
4th December 2023, 18:05
Nikolay Gryazin is the new official Citroen Racing driver:

"Oui! Oui! The news are finally out! I am now a proud member of @citroenracing team alongside with @yohanrossel! Happy to have such a professional driver as a teammate. To be honest I am super excited for this new chapter in my racing career and I will do my best to prove they made a good decision by choosing me to be official Citroen driver in the wrc2 team. 🤩 I will do my job, no doubt on that. Our first event will be this weekend in Rally du Devoluy with @dg.sport.competition! See you there!"

source:
https://www.facebook.com/gryazin.nikolay/posts/pfbid02eVJzDQDEF45mF341CuTsTLd2YwwMvMUJi88jijh13wE ZvHFy6T9UErauSgbQLxrXl

Jarek Z
6th December 2023, 10:38
Toyota Gazoo Racing dismissed speculation that Sami Pajari has an agreement for next season’s World Rally Championship. Toyota’s Tom Fowler said: "Toyota’s position on the Rally2 project has been transparent from the very beginning: GR Yaris Rally2 is a customer car. It’s not a factory car."

source:
https://dirtfish.com/rally/wrc/toyota-dismisses-pajari-speculation/

Andre Oliveira
14th December 2023, 13:44
Pepe Lopez with MAPO Motorsport (Xevi Pons team) confirmed.

er88
14th December 2023, 14:09
Few events for Meeke in the Skoda? Skoda will be light if they lose Solberg on top of the other drivers who have gone elsewhere

RS
14th December 2023, 15:41
Few events for Meeke in the Skoda? Skoda will be light if they lose Solberg on top of the other drivers who have gone elsewhere

I don't know if that will happen but can't think of many alternatives at this stage. Maybe they could give him a Mikelssen 2023 style programme, ie. A few events and if he's in championship contention then extend.

What about Suninen? Is he happy to stay at Hyundai for just WRC2?

rp
14th December 2023, 16:08

Definetely not. Also Skoda or even M-Sport are possible.

wyler
14th December 2023, 16:30
I don't know if that will happen but can't think of many alternatives at this stage. Maybe they could give him a Mikelssen 2023 style programme, ie. A few events and if he's in championship contention then extend.

hyunday will use mikkelsen to develop rally2 and aim for the title

Sulland
14th December 2023, 17:28
Mikkelsen will have a role driving and refining the Hyundai Rally2, he said to Parcferme.no
He did not say number of Rally2 rallies, but will be recceing all rallies.

RS
14th December 2023, 17:46
Definetely not. Also Skoda or even M-Sport are possible.

Skoda would give him a good chance for the WRC2 title but MSport may give him a path to drive some WRC1 events too.

Duvel
14th December 2023, 18:03
WRC2 silly season rocks this year!

In te Toyotas we will see good drivers! thats for sure.
Citroen seems coverd aswell, whit Grayzin and Rossel
Mikkelsen wil be big upgrade for Hyundai, but i doubt that Suninen wil be there whit 2nd car.
Lindholm for second seat?

Lets hope Suninen can find an Msport deal, whit some wrc1 rally's included. Other names that could be at Msport WRC2,.. Munster, Loubet,??

Skoda should give Meeke one last shot at WRC titlle! Cais will be there, how else?
Greensmith probably again and Bulacia.

Biggest question remains what Oliver will do.

Can we see Paddon back in WRC2?
Ostberg? Ingram?
Some other names that we could see going for the title?

Negaiss
15th December 2023, 06:19
WRC2 silly season rocks this year!

In te Toyotas we will see good drivers! thats for sure.
Citroen seems coverd aswell, whit Grayzin and Rossel
Mikkelsen wil be big upgrade for Hyundai, but i doubt that Suninen wil be there whit 2nd car.
Lindholm for second seat?

Lets hope Suninen can find an Msport deal, whit some wrc1 rally's included. Other names that could be at Msport WRC2,.. Munster, Loubet,??

Skoda should give Meeke one last shot at WRC titlle! Cais will be there, how else?
Greensmith probably again and Bulacia.

Biggest question remains what Oliver will do.

Can we see Paddon back in WRC2?
Ostberg? Ingram?
Some other names that we could see going for the title?

I do not remember where, but Paddon said in an interview, that he will try to defend ERC title in 2024.

EstWRC
15th December 2023, 08:05
Shame. Would like see him in WRC with rally2 instead

Fast Eddie WRC
15th December 2023, 09:44
I do not remember where, but Paddon said in an interview, that he will try to defend ERC title in 2024.

He actually said he wants to return to try to win the ERC rallies after just concentrating on winning the Championship this year.

Fast Eddie WRC
15th December 2023, 09:49
Chris Ingram sounds the most confident I've heard him for years in planning a WRC2 campaign. No clues as to his car/team as yet but likely a VW Polo or Fabia RS.

jacko
15th December 2023, 10:53
Chris Ingram sounds the most confident I've heard him for years in planning a WRC2 campaign. No clues as to his car/team as yet but likely a VW Polo or Fabia RS.
Looks like he will be doing Jänner rally in preparation for MC. Car not know yet...

TypeR
15th December 2023, 17:25
Polo would be too old and slow for him..

Solberg posted photo from airport and wrote ,,the final trip of 2023..''
Trip to Dovenby Hall?

New post:
,,Got stuck in Munich with cancelled flight''

Three cancelled flighths I found today from Munich are to Dusseldorf, Manchester and London..

RS
15th December 2023, 18:20
If Solberg is going to MSport (and lets hope he is) then I guess this is in the wrong thread.

I think people may have been overthinking the Red Bull/Monster issue.. didn't Red Bull only really step in when MSport needed the cash to pay a top-line driver?

rallyfiend
15th December 2023, 18:56
He is probably heading to London to meet Monster top Euro bosses. Maybe they have their Christmas party. Red BUll had one for their athletes last night.

pretty sure he’ll be in a SKoda. Probably replacing Andreas with an actual Skoda contract….

TypeR
15th December 2023, 19:06
He is probably heading to London to meet Monster top Euro bosses. Maybe they have their Christmas party. Red BUll had one for their athletes last night.

pretty sure he’ll be in a SKoda. Probably replacing Andreas with an actual Skoda contract….
Last week he posted that new plans coming very soon and today these hints would be too much for just continuing w Skoda..

WRCStan
15th December 2023, 19:28
He is probably heading to London to meet Monster top Euro bosses. Maybe they have their Christmas party.

He's taking his helmet for it if so.

Love the forensic investigations going on though.

Fast Eddie WRC
15th December 2023, 20:25
I thought Solberg in a Yaris Rally2 was a done deal according to those FB sources....

TypeR
17th December 2023, 12:45
Solberg interview
https://racer.com/2023/12/16/interview-oliver-solberg-on-wrc2-winning-and-the-importance-of-donuts/

“It will not be WRC,” he said. “I got a few offers, actually, but it appears that I will compete in WRC2 in 2024.”

So Toyota or Skoda then?
Or.. if Fourmaux is in Puma, then maybe Wilson offered some good deal for rally2 car.. as he needs someone fast to show the car's potential.

mknight
17th December 2023, 13:11
"being the quickest overall at every rally and on every surface this year"

It's the quotes like this that I don't like about Oliver.

He was certainly not quickest on tarmac in general and especially in Croatia.

HKSjbg
17th December 2023, 13:28
Was that his aim or was it “I will be the quickest…”

It’s perfectly reasonable for a driver of his calibre to say I aim to be the quickest a driver at every rally, that’s what elite sportspeople should be doing to stay at the top of their game.

Fast Eddie WRC
20th December 2023, 17:01
Looks like he will be doing Jänner rally in preparation for MC. Car not know yet...

Ingram confirms...

Ready for the first International rally of 2024 in the Austrian snow !

With National championship winners The Racing Factory and Racing Technology Officiel Team’s Skoda Fabia RS.

WRC1
21st December 2023, 07:42
Facebook Post from Skoda Motorsport:

Škoda Motorsport is looking forward to the next WRC2 season and further cooperation with @oOliver Solberg! �� One of the most talented young drivers in the WRC2 championship has collected an impressive number of stage wins in the 2023 season. �� Good luck for the next season with us!

RS
21st December 2023, 08:16
Good news for Skoda, the new car is I believe very fast but it needs an aggressive driver to access that speed. And good news for Solberg is it sounds as if he will be a more official Skoda driver this year rather than just a Toksport customer, so should be more involved in manufacturer testing etc.

Fast Eddie WRC
21st December 2023, 08:26
As expected, the Solberg - Yaris drive story from Facebook was BS...

https://dirtfish.com/rally/wrc/solberg-stays-with-skoda-for-2024-title-shot/

EstWRC
21st December 2023, 08:37
Great news. I was really getting worried about Skoda

mousti
21st December 2023, 08:39
Most obvious choice for Skoda if u want to win WRC2 again. Curious if they'll use a 2nd driver aswell..

Verstuurd vanaf mijn 2201123G met Tapatalk

RS
21st December 2023, 09:00
Also good for Solberg I think to actually try and win WRC2 rather than jump too quickly back into Rally1 again.

PLuto
21st December 2023, 11:17
Most obvious choice for Skoda if u want to win WRC2 again. Curious if they'll use a 2nd driver aswell..

They will. And maybe not so much slower than Oliver...

manthey
21st December 2023, 11:23
They will. And maybe not so much slower than Oliver...

Cais?

Tom K
21st December 2023, 12:08
Would bet on Gus

er88
21st December 2023, 12:34
Wonder if Gus crawls back to Msport?

If Munster is doing full season in the rally1, msport badly need a driver for the rally2 car. Maybe Msport could run him in wrc2, and we know Greensmith has budget if he wanted to step up for a few events in the rally1 car

Sulland
21st December 2023, 14:05
Will then Skoda comes in with own team again, for the two cars talked about here, and TokSport are back as a normal customerteam?

PLuto
21st December 2023, 14:44
Will then Skoda comes in with own team again, for the two cars talked about here, and TokSport are back as a normal customerteam?

I dont think so...

WRCStan
21st December 2023, 16:09
msport badly need a driver for the rally2 car.

Why?

They need a new plan.

TypeR
22nd December 2023, 09:17
Marco Bulacia also leaves Skoda and joins Citroen Racing.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/GB8hWMyXAAA0VyO?format=jpg&name=small

RS
22nd December 2023, 09:27

Maybe some kind of hybrid organisation run by/with Toksport.. i think Mikkelsen was mainly serviced by crew in Skoda Motorsport overalls this season, at least later in the year.

240RS
22nd December 2023, 10:00
Toyota seem to be splitting hairs as far as their Rally2 plans are concerned.

Previously, they were adamant there would be no "official" driver(s). Today's confirmation that they will field two young Japanese drivers under the junior program points to some level of official involvement.

https://www.motorsport.com/wrc/news/toyota-selects-new-wrc-junior-recruits/10560021/

WRCStan
22nd December 2023, 10:09

Previously, they were adamant there would be no "official" driver(s). Today's confirmation that they will field two young Japanese drivers under the junior program points to some level of official involvement.

https://www.motorsport.com/wrc/news/toyota-selects-new-wrc-junior-recruits/10560021/

Not necessarily WRC2 Toyota Team though.

Mirek
22nd December 2023, 10:22
Why?

They need a new plan.

To me it looks more and more likely that the rumors about Toksport financial troubles were true.

WRCStan
22nd December 2023, 10:32
To me it looks more and more likely that the rumors about Toksport financial troubles were true.

How does that mean M-Sport badly need a driver? Their car is nearly expired with no word of another.

PLuto
22nd December 2023, 10:55

But this is nothing new. They are not official factory drivers, but it is programme of development of the drivers. From beginning it was sure that in this project from 2024 they will step up into R5 cars...

Mirek
22nd December 2023, 13:15
How does that mean M-Sport badly need a driver? Their car is nearly expired with no word of another.

I was reacting to your post about Bulacia leaving Škoda.

Kenneth
22nd December 2023, 13:46
Does anyone know details about how did Toksport Skoda programme work in recent seasons? Like was Mikkelsen paid by Skoda or Toksport? How many drivers were paid and how many drivers were just renting car? Or any other interesting details that don't come to my mind? Or was it only about creating the Skoda army so other manufacturers don't have a chance to get the championship, so they support Toksport with material and personnel in order to run as many cars as possible?

PLuto
22nd December 2023, 14:16
Does anyone know details about how did Toksport Skoda programme work in recent seasons? Like was Mikkelsen paid by Skoda or Toksport? How many drivers were paid and how many drivers were just renting car? Or any other interesting details that don't come to my mind? Or was it only about creating the Skoda army so other manufacturers don't have a chance to get the championship, so they support Toksport with material and personnel in order to run as many cars as possible?

Of course people knows these details. But I am sure almost nobody will publish them on public forum :)

Kenneth
22nd December 2023, 14:28
And is it possible that some of them would atleast reveal some if that without going into details?

RS
22nd December 2023, 14:51
I think it's pretty clear just by looking there was varying levels of works support for many of the Toksport drivers. Mikkelsen had no sponsors on the car, others did but for example Lindholm was also a Skoda Motorsport test driver and did promotional work too.

Andre Oliveira
22nd December 2023, 19:37
Bouffier confirmed

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/GB-xyIBWgAECtm2?format=jpg&name=large

seb_sh
22nd December 2023, 21:05

But this is nothing new. They are not official factory drivers, but it is programme of development of the drivers. From beginning it was sure that in this project from 2024 they will step up into R5 cars...

I believe this is the 3rd generation that will start on national series with Rally3 or Rally4 cars. I think the ones that are stepping up to Rally2 next year are Kogure and Yamamoto. This is just their academy program to get Japanese drivers into the WRC, it started even before they joined the WRC, the first generation was Katsuta and Arai (Hiroki, Toshihiro's son).

Jarek Z
23rd December 2023, 10:01
Bouffier confirmed

Great news! I'm very happy to read this. However, there are some question marks here. How good can Bouffier be after a 4-year break? What is this new ERACE World Rally Team? How good is this new Toyota? We'll see it all in January!

Jarek Z
23rd December 2023, 16:36
It's a shame that it will be a one shot only!

https://www.wrcfanatix.com/2023/12/bouffier-secures-a-toyota-rally2-drive-for-rallye-monte-carlo-2024.html?fbclid=IwAR2ZJZz055_YiEDSeJlQcKRgD1Gw9Qn OqKdVVk3AvBY2BLTriJu6MOyqCqc

Andre Oliveira
24th December 2023, 12:57
Great news! I'm very happy to read this. However, there are some question marks here. How good can Bouffier be after a 4-year break? What is this new ERACE World Rally Team? How good is this new Toyota? We'll see it all in January!

ERACE WRT is of Raoux i think.

Sulland
30th December 2023, 20:04
How many Toyotas will we see in Monte, and how many will have gotten their cars by Sweden?

rp
31st December 2023, 07:34
How many Toyotas will we see in Monte, and how many will have gotten their cars by Sweden?

Must be 4 in Monte and more in Sweden.

typhoon
3rd January 2024, 11:10
Lancia returns to rallying!

A new Ypsilon Rally2 will be developed in 2024, according to an Italian journalist (he follows every rally on site, plus he's head of Press Office at rally Sardinia)!

The car will be developed in 2024, but will hit the stages officially in 2025.

Source: https://www.lanuovasardegna.it/sport/2024/01/03/news/la-lancia-ritorna-nel-rally-con-la-ypsilon-l-esordio-nel-2025-1.100449177

macebig
3rd January 2024, 11:34
Amazing that Stellantis have made a sensible decision for once. The car is there already (Citroen C3). Change the panels and milk Lancia's legacy.

Jarek Z
3rd January 2024, 13:11
Beginnings are not easy. New Ypsilon already leaked ;)
https://jalopnik.com/lancia-ypsilon-leak-crash-into-canal-water-new-vehicle-1851093871

Jarek Z
3rd January 2024, 13:14
Hopefully the new Ypsilon looks better than this:
https://s.yimg.com/os/en_MY/News/MotorTraderMalaysia/Ypsilon-20131126-090010-072.jpg

HKSjbg
3rd January 2024, 15:39
Beginnings are not easy. New Ypsilon already leaked ;)
https://jalopnik.com/lancia-ypsilon-leak-crash-into-canal-water-new-vehicle-1851093871

The portion of the rear half that was visible above water doesn’t look to bad, hopefully it’ll not look dreadful from the front

bomber21
3rd January 2024, 17:22
So, to make it clear, Lancia will build an Ypsilon Rally2 to enter the WRC 2025 when Rally2 will be the top category?

HKSjbg
3rd January 2024, 17:42
Yes, with Martini as title sponsor and Alessandro Fiorio as team principal. The junior team will be run by Astra Racing and sponsored by Giesse, Agip and Totip

Jarek Z
3rd January 2024, 18:18
Yes, with Martini as title sponsor and Alessandro Fiorio as team principal. The junior team will be run by Astra Racing and sponsored by Giesse, Agip and Totip

You forgot to mention that Miki Biasion and Andrea Aghini are already testing the new car somewhere in the Italian Alps ;)

focus206
3rd January 2024, 18:35

Totip sponsored Jolly Club, not Astra Racing ;)

typhoon
3rd January 2024, 18:52
I think it's important that Stellantis Board made a step for the brand towards the WRC, returning to where it belongs. Also the "tribute" to Stratos in their road car is another important step. It's probably a project dedicated to customer racing, but it's a first attempt after so many years.

HKSjbg
3rd January 2024, 19:10
Totip sponsored Jolly Club, not Astra Racing ;)

It was an intended mish-mash of the non-Martini Lancias ;) I forgot to mention ESSO Super Oil will sponsor the black and gold Team Tabaton entry :D

Duvel
3rd January 2024, 19:26
So, to make it clear, Lancia will build an Ypsilon Rally2 to enter the WRC 2025 when Rally2 will be the top category?

Lets hope!

If true, Lancia comeback would be great news!!

For any rallyfan the rally2 category is becoming more and more interesting!

Steve Boyd
3rd January 2024, 23:41
It was an intended mish-mash of the non-Martini Lancias ;) I forgot to mention ESSO Super Oil will sponsor the black and gold Team Tabaton entry :D
Will there be a blue one for Bernard Darniche?

wyler
4th January 2024, 11:44
so, the idea seems to be to develop a "platform" for rally2 future, aiming to be ready in 2027 when "rally2+" will replace rally1 hy as wrc top tier. very long shot imho.

2024 -> rally2 dev
2025-2027 ->rally2 race and fine tune
2027 -> rally2 + for wrc new reg.

looks like that if lancia rally2 is officially confirmed, we ll have a big hint on the next regulation...

Kenneth
4th January 2024, 12:49
imo if Rally2 based cars become top class, there is need to replace Rally2 somehow. Rally3 imo aren't attractive enough, and idk

I would love to see something mix of Rally1 and Rally2, space-frame based cars with as many production parts as possible. And for god's sake get rid of current Rally1 engines, what is the point of rally car that doesn't even use production-based engines.

WRCStan
4th January 2024, 16:08
so, the idea seems to be to develop a "platform" for rally2 future, aiming to be ready in 2027 when "rally2+" will replace rally1 hy as wrc top tier. very long shot imho.

2024 -> rally2 dev
2025-2027 ->rally2 race and fine tune
2027 -> rally2 + for wrc new reg.

looks like that if lancia rally2 is officially confirmed, we ll have a big hint on the next regulation...

The hints from FIA and these rumours suggest a new Rally2 for 2025 even. Ideal for Toyota and Lancia.

Fast Eddie WRC
4th January 2024, 17:12
Lancia Ypsilon Integrale... ;)

https://www.clubalfa.it/en/assets/media/2024/01/Lancia-rally.jpg

wyler
4th January 2024, 17:24
The hints from FIA and these rumours suggest a new Rally2 for 2025 even. Ideal for Toyota and Lancia.

and maybe for a puma rally2?

i won't believe in any of these rumors until i see msport working hard on his rally2...(or rally2+ for 2027).
can't believe they leave fiesta and wrc2 championship behind if the perspective is going to rally2+. possibly they're working on a new car/iteration for '25?

TypeR
4th January 2024, 17:46
No way wrc2/rally2 spec changes too much in couple of years..
I'm sure Toyo(d)ta has made it sure, that their development and investment in rally2 isn't just for 2 or smth years..
OR.. they did this project so thoroughly that in case of ,,rally2 on steroids'' will be the top class they have the best base to start from..

WRCStan
4th January 2024, 19:05
No way wrc2/rally2 spec changes too much in couple of years..
I'm sure Toyo(d)ta has made it sure, that their development and investment in rally2 isn't just for 2 or smth years..
OR.. they did this project so thoroughly that in case of ,,rally2 on steroids'' will be the top class they have the best base to start from..

Think H-Rally2 and E-Rally2 alongside (ICE-)Rally2. Could be called something different, I don't know.

IF hydrogen is viable and Toyota are keen to push it, then any H2 car would be so much closer to an ICE developed car than any ICE developed rally car that later becomes fully electric, cough, Lancia. They intend to be fully electric by 2028, sell me why they are interested in rallying without an EV class. Maybe in a relevant thread, this is off-topic.

It is possible that Rally2+ contingency propelled the Yaris build, but not for so far away.

Eli
5th January 2024, 09:05
https://yle.fi/a/74-20067955?utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social&utm_content=ralliradio

Sami Pajari (as discussed here before) will switch to a Toyota Yaris Rally2 this season.

EstWRC
5th January 2024, 09:28
Through Printsport

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20240105/846764b8b9cea1e32072d6887f6c0c10.jpg
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20240105/aa8da09ec9f99a90acddc3190167bf34.jpg

Eli
5th January 2024, 09:34
Through Printsport

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20240105/aa8da09ec9f99a90acddc3190167bf34.jpg

Absolutely beautiful, WRC2 this year is going to be pretty exciting, Škoda (Toksport) will have a hard time this year.

becher
5th January 2024, 10:53
Granted, I can't be bothered any more what Lancia and Alfa are "planning" to bring to the market, but as far as I know they want to make Lancia a EV brand for people who don't care about Lancia and never heard of it. So it does sound strange that they would enter as I thought the new Ypsilon won't be getting any ICE. But since it is now Stelantis with a good motorsport department I can take this more seriously. Still I believe it when I see it.

manthey
5th January 2024, 11:23
Through Printsport

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20240105/aa8da09ec9f99a90acddc3190167bf34.jpgJust 2 months ago... Ceo Printsport was launching smoke...

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20240105/c7e5c6955770e3968c1200277eb315a3.jpg

EstWRC
5th January 2024, 12:10
Solans livery

https://x.com/teommotorsport/status/1743254743005143314?s=46&t=AWria8OgC1kV5QC61vX5Xg

TypeR
5th January 2024, 12:41
Very nice livery on Solans's car!

Yaris rally2 ,,ready-to-race'' price ca 300k eur..
https://yle.fi/a/74-20067955

focus206
5th January 2024, 13:27
as far as I know they want to make Lancia a EV brand for people who don't care about Lancia and never heard of it. So it does sound strange that they would enter as I thought the new Ypsilon won't be getting any ICE.

Lancia is already a brand for people who don't care about Lancia, since almost a decade they only sell the Ypsilon only in Italy, where it's considered quite a girly car (it's presented as "the classy city car", in their own words). But since Lancia is a puppet company anyway, maybe someone from Stellantis want to dress the puppet up with a racing suit to reminish the past? I also find it hard to believe, but who knows...

TypeR
5th January 2024, 13:47
Gus stays in Skoda confirmed.
https://www.upload.ee/image/16128832/Screenshot_20240105_170643_Instagram.jpg

As both him and Solberg want the title they have to drive together :D

Managarium
5th January 2024, 18:10
https://i.postimg.cc/9fwQTvZD/416042094-954918746034206-8212388403396580088-n.jpg (https://postimages.org/)

CeskyOndra
7th January 2024, 16:30
When im reading all these posts about Rally2 drivers, cancellation of Rally1 makes bigger and bigger sense to me. Rally1 are amazing cars, but the lack of competition is just heartbreaking

Jarek Z
7th January 2024, 17:40
Bouffier's livery for Monte has been revealed. It's another black Toyota:
https://pl.motorsport.com/wrc/news/oto-toyota-bouffiera/10563487/

wyler
15th January 2024, 13:27
new citroen's livery...

https://www.facebook.com/photo/?fbid=763723159125411&set=pcb.763726182458442

"You asked for more colors, we delivered... " (not really, to me...)

seb_sh
15th January 2024, 16:18
https://cdn.motor1.com/images/mgl/zxQ1RE/s3/2024-lancia-ypsilon-leaked-image.webp

new Lancia, looks ok, seems fine for Rally2

Eli
15th January 2024, 16:46
https://cdn.motor1.com/images/mgl/zxQ1RE/s3/2024-lancia-ypsilon-leaked-image.webp

new Lancia, looks ok, seems fine for Rally2

208 in disguise, hopefully won't be (too) long before we see a rally variation of it.

HKSjbg
15th January 2024, 17:13
It looks kinda awful. But then I saw a facelift previous generation Fabia earlier today and thought how crap that looks, yet the Rally2 Evo version was anything but! Even the C3 Rally2 doesn’t look that bad bad considering the base model, so hopefully this will improve just as much with the Rally2 treatment :D

Jarek Z
15th January 2024, 18:50
Two more photos can be found below. Official presentation of the new Lancia is planned on February 14.
https://pl.motorsport.com/motoryzacja/news/nowa-lancia-podpatrzona-/10565867/

Negaiss
16th January 2024, 15:41
Loubet Skoda Toksport

https://www.wrc.com/a/news/w27206_Hotshot-Loubet-confirms-WRC2-return

Negaiss
16th January 2024, 15:53
Lauri Joona Livery for 2024

https://www.facebook.com/laurijoonaofficial/

Jarek Z
17th January 2024, 18:00
Now also Lefebvre has revealed his livery:
https://scontent.fktw4-1.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t39.30808-6/419697810_405647348793546_5615333830432252780_n.jp g?_nc_cat=100&ccb=1-7&_nc_sid=dd5e9f&_nc_ohc=_eSGblabhGkAX8WATkz&_nc_ht=scontent.fktw4-1.fna&oh=00_AfDTtIp55MhoIdXbLjN2CEZqLTY2FMyaDn64jK_e7LfO pA&oe=65AD808F

Fast Eddie WRC
18th January 2024, 16:51
William Creighton: Junior WRC champion steps up to WRC2 with M-Sport Poland in 2024 !

https://www.m-sport.co.uk/single-post/creighton-announces-full-wrc2-campaign-in-2024

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/motorsport/68017412.amp

PLuto
18th January 2024, 17:23
William Creighton: Junior WRC champion steps up to WRC2 with M-Sport Poland in 2024 !

As it is part of prize for winning JWRC, this is not a surprise :)

HKSjbg
18th January 2024, 21:22
As it is part of prize for winning JWRC, this is not a surprise :)

The prize is for 4 rounds. He has increased it to a full 7 with extra backing from Motorsport Ireland

HKSjbg
18th January 2024, 21:22

https://www.m-sport.co.uk/single-post/creighton-announces-full-wrc2-campaign-in-2024

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/motorsport/68017412.amp

Jesus, how did a rally news piece end up on BBC? :D

WRCStan
18th January 2024, 22:32

Creighton is Irish, it's an Irish author. All the non-F1 BBC authored pieces are the same author with the same scope. Comical really, but that's politics and funding for you.

satnav
19th January 2024, 16:12

It's BBC NI, they actually cover a lot of Rallying, Andy usually has a piece on about various things and last year Stephen Watson covered the Micra Challenge some links here;
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lMnq2Ey42P4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1yHnqpgoDOM

Fast Eddie WRC
19th January 2024, 16:48

Even more amazing, I was actually informed by this BBC piece instead of the other sources !!!

RS
20th January 2024, 08:59
I guess the WRC2 season won’t properly get going until Croatia and then everyone will drive the ‘European season’, so that might’ve be good at least.

Very euro-centric calendar this year, nothing in Australasia, no Mexico, no Argentina..

Negaiss
20th January 2024, 13:08
Apparently Martins Sesks (2nd in ERC 2023) was testing Toyota Yaris GR Rally 2 yesterday. Pictures here - https://rallirinki.kuvat.fi/kuvat/Sesks+Yaris+Rally2+19.01.2024/3O9A4055.jpg

So maybe some starts in WRC planned in 2024, who knows. I am sure we will see Sesks in WRC Latvia 2024, but car and class is unknown.

Fast Eddie WRC
20th January 2024, 18:00
Chris Ingram's 2024 livery revealed today in Monaco...

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/GETwx_YXEAAaoT8?format=jpg&name=medium

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/GETw2PzWQAA_wTc?format=jpg&name=medium

RS
20th January 2024, 18:06
^^ That’s simple but very nice.

RS
20th January 2024, 18:09
Apparently Martins Sesks (2nd in ERC 2023) was testing Toyota Yaris GR Rally 2 yesterday. Pictures here - https://rallirinki.kuvat.fi/kuvat/Sesks+Yaris+Rally2+19.01.2024/3O9A4055.jpg

So maybe some starts in WRC planned in 2024, who knows. I am sure we will see Sesks in WRC Latvia 2024, but car and class is unknown.

Would be good to see. Sesks is a very impressive driver on fast loose-surface events.

Andre Oliveira
20th January 2024, 23:07
Sesks will be in Rally1 at Latvia.

Fast Eddie WRC
21st January 2024, 09:39
New Lancia Ypsilon Rally render

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=716348080474289&id=100062973114550

Fast Eddie WRC
21st January 2024, 09:59
^^ That’s simple but very nice.

Prince Albert was also at the launch of Chris Ingram's livery...

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/GEXS4zcWMAA10n0?format=jpg&name=large

And had a try in the co-driver's seat !

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/GEXMRRSXcAAzyyW?format=jpg&name=large

TypeR
21st January 2024, 10:11
Solberg's new livery video:
https://www.facebook.com/share/r/JjuUkk86wbSAvSRo/

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/GEXT2ojWYAAE0n5?format=jpg&name=small
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/GEXT2ojWsAA4-QW?format=jpg&name=small
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/GEXT2omX0AAFD95?format=jpg&name=small

manthey
21st January 2024, 12:06

missing picture...or link not working?

Mirek
21st January 2024, 14:33
Solberg's new livery video:
https://www.facebook.com/share/r/JjuUkk86wbSAvSRo/

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/GEXT2ojWYAAE0n5?format=jpg&name=small
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/GEXT2ojWsAA4-QW?format=jpg&name=small
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/GEXT2omX0AAFD95?format=jpg&name=small

That's so wacky that I like it.

Jarek Z
21st January 2024, 17:32
missing picture...or link not working?

No, works fine for me.

manthey
21st January 2024, 20:57
No, works fine for me.For me no show on Tapatalk neither chrome

Fast Eddie WRC
25th January 2024, 08:25
Chris Ingram's rollercoaster...

https://dirtfish.com/rally/wrc/from-living-in-a-caravan-to-rubbing-shoulders-with-royalty/

Negaiss
25th January 2024, 16:26
Ostberg, Loubet and Sesks to start in Qatar rally 1-3. february with Latvian team SRT entered Skoda Fabia RS Rally 2s.

https://www.go4speed.lv/lv/news/rallijs/12432-sesks-ar-citam-rallija-zvaigznem-startes-kataras-rallija/

WRCStan
25th January 2024, 17:51
https://i.imgur.com/keAWVa4.jpeg

Is the Yaris Rally2 full size ?

Jarek Z
25th January 2024, 21:06
I didn't know that Simone Campedelli works as Chris Ingram's ice note crew:
https://www.fiaerc.com/a/news/w27248_It's-nice-on-ice-but-Campedelli's-ERC-ambitions-remain-solid

PLuto
25th January 2024, 21:36
I didn't know that Simone Campedelli works as Chris Ingram's ice note crew:
https://www.fiaerc.com/a/news/w27248_It's-nice-on-ice-but-Campedelli's-ERC-ambitions-remain-solid

List of gravel crews on Monte - https://forum.autosport.cz/viewtopic.php?f=100&t=1838&start=50#p102140

Fast Eddie WRC
25th January 2024, 21:59
https://i.imgur.com/keAWVa4.jpeg

Is the Yaris Rally2 full size ?

Even the Rally1 Yaris looks tiny compared to the others...

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/GEtN54GXgAA05bw?format=jpg&name=large

Maybe just how they are posed further back ?

TWRC
26th January 2024, 04:55
Even the Rally1 Yaris looks tiny compared to the others...

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/GEtN54GXgAA05bw?format=jpg&name=large

Maybe just how they are posed further back ?

I think it is only optical illusion, we have a saying with the essence of "wearing black makes you look like you're slim"

seb_sh
26th January 2024, 05:11
Wide lense, the cars on the sides look distorted.

RS
26th January 2024, 08:11
List of gravel crews on Monte - https://forum.autosport.cz/viewtopic.php?f=100&t=1838&start=50#p102140

Some great names, wouldn’t be a bad entry list themselves!

Jarek Z
26th January 2024, 10:29
Wide lense, the cars on the sides look distorted.

Yes, it's a question of the lens that was used. Photographers know this effect well.

Jarek Z
26th January 2024, 10:36
Some great names, wouldn’t be a bad entry list themselves!

Yes, indeed. For example it's interesting to see #63 - the famous Paolo Andreucci works as ice crew for the young Matteo Fontana.

wyler
26th January 2024, 10:47
Yes, indeed. For example it's interesting to see #63 - the famous Paolo Andreucci works as ice crew for the young Matteo Fontana.

which is doing great, by the way!

Jarek Z
26th January 2024, 10:48
One Yaris Rally2 down. Bouffier out already on SS3 :(

er88
26th January 2024, 13:25
Can we read anything into the fact Loubet had tests with the yaris rally2, yet ended up going with the skoda for this year instead? Or was that just down to budget/team etc.

PLuto
26th January 2024, 13:29
Can we read anything into the fact Loubet had tests with the yaris rally2, yet ended up going with the skoda for this year instead? Or was that just down to budget/team etc.

Thats the question. But Loubet will start with support of Skoda France, so maybe that also helped with choice...

fiscorpun
28th January 2024, 20:55
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=53OnvZPeZ0Q

nice

fiscorpun
28th January 2024, 22:00
5th, 6th and 7th for the Yaris Rally2, right?
"OK" start

WRCStan
29th January 2024, 16:32
Why did Toyota homologate a two wheel drive GR Yaris 'RS' for the body, which has a different engine, CVT? Why did they even build it?

ictus
29th January 2024, 16:43
Why did Toyota homologate a two wheel drive GR Yaris 'RS' for the body, which has a different engine, CVT? Why did they even build it?

they were afraid they will not sell enough "normal" GR Yaris' to meet the minimal homologation numbers

Mirek
29th January 2024, 16:54
Can't help myself but the Toyota engine sounds exhausted. There's no sharpness in it. It makes the perceived speed to be slower than it probably is.

WRCStan
29th January 2024, 16:58
they were afraid they will not sell enough "normal" GR Yaris' to meet the minimal homologation numbers

That would make more sense if they didn't choose a Japan only model over the global model.

Managarium
29th January 2024, 17:51
Can't help myself but the Toyota engine sounds exhausted. There's no sharpness in it. It makes the perceived speed to be slower than it probably is.

Well listen to Fiesta rally3 - 4 -5
They all sound simular to Yaris rally2, because they all have 3 cylinder engine.

Managarium
29th January 2024, 18:33
Loris Pascaud is a new Loubet's co-driver

https://www.wrcfanatix.com/2024/01/official-loubet-names-pascaud-as-his-new-co-driver-for-2024-wrc2-campaign.html

Fast Eddie WRC
29th January 2024, 18:43
Suninen back in WRC2 with Hyundai from Rally Portugal according to this...

https://www.rallit.fi/teemu-sunisen-tilanteesta-saatiin-uutta-tietoa/

Also Pierre-Louis Loubet opening his season in the same event with Skoda in the WRC2 class.

Sulland
29th January 2024, 20:43
Well listen to Fiesta rally3 - 4 -5
They all sound simular to Yaris rally2, because they all have 3 cylinder engine.

I like the raw sound of the 5 cyl engines used by Audi and Volvo, but the 3 cyl engines are effective, but boring to listen to.
So the sound of the 4 cyl Renaults in the junior classes are my favorites when it comes to sound!

PS: Also love the 6 cyl BMWs and Alfas old GTVs, nice music in the Rallyforrests!!

HKSjbg
29th January 2024, 20:57
That would make more sense if they didn't choose a Japan only model over the global model.

Why? What other 'global' model could Toyota produce out of the 3-Door monocoque? 3-Door hatchbacks are a difficult sell these days hence why they've been disappearing into oblivion. (They thought) they needed some extra sales of that body, and homologating that configuration of car purely for the JDM was the way they decided was best to do it

mousti
30th January 2024, 04:59
Suninen back in WRC2 with Hyundai from Rally Portugal according to this...

https://www.rallit.fi/teemu-sunisen-tilanteesta-saatiin-uutta-tietoa/

Also Pierre-Louis Loubet opening his season in the same event with Skoda in the WRC2 class.Weird he skips Sweden.

RS
30th January 2024, 08:06

Yeah, it sounds lazy.

3 cylinder engines always have that deep thrum and i suspect you're right it is partly an 'audio illusion' but i suppose we'll have to wait a few more events to see if it JUST an illusion or if Monte is the shape of things to come.

WRCStan
30th January 2024, 16:07
Why? What other 'global' model could Toyota produce out of the 3-Door monocoque? 3-Door hatchbacks are a difficult sell these days hence why they've been disappearing into oblivion. (They thought) they needed some extra sales of that body, and homologating that configuration of car purely for the JDM was the way they decided was best to do it

Fair enough, but if they haven't sold 2,500 globally in over 3 years, something is wrong.

Rallyper
31st January 2024, 08:54
Yeah, it sounds lazy.

3 cylinder engines always have that deep thrum and i suspect you're right it is partly an 'audio illusion' but i suppose we'll have to wait a few more events to see if it JUST an illusion or if Monte is the shape of things to come.

All three cylinder rallycars reminds me of my two Saab Sport two stroke rallycars. Good sound. But doesn´t belong to modern rallycars if I could decide...
Owned them in the 70´s.

the sniper
1st February 2024, 01:50
I like that they're there for the variety, but I'd not like them to become the predominant engine in Rally2...

Fast Eddie WRC
7th February 2024, 10:19
Another boost for M-Sport and their Fiesta Rally2 in Ireland. Hopefully we'll see a car or two in WRC2 .

https://dirtfish.com/rally/wrc/the-irish-comeback-that-gives-m-sport-a-boost/

Andre Oliveira
10th February 2024, 18:37
https://scontent.fopo5-1.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t1.15752-9/426699622_919098159830328_6758081771489073699_n.jp g?_nc_cat=103&ccb=1-7&_nc_sid=8cd0a2&_nc_ohc=atkz4dZMd9sAX9tK4-F&_nc_ht=scontent.fopo5-1.fna&oh=03_AdQanJgbNERv8Xs1S-BQgA13s-2fgXAf2B31tVI_rWO88Q&oe=65EF4106

Tom K
12th February 2024, 09:31
So Suninen just 5 rounds in WRC 2 with Hyundai from CHL Sport Auto. Quite poor... Being candidate to Rally1 and end in partly program in WRC 2.

Fast Eddie WRC
12th February 2024, 11:21
Weird Suninen skips Sweden.

Probably because Hyundai still need to bring the upgrades required to make the i20 competitive. These are still 'coming soon'.

PLuto
12th February 2024, 13:45
Probably because Hyundai still need to bring the upgrades required to make the i20 competitive. These are still 'coming soon'.

Yes, upgrades are the main reason...

denkimi
14th February 2024, 06:55
So Suninen just 5 rounds in WRC 2 with Hyundai from CHL Sport Auto. Quite poor... Being candidate to Rally1 and end in partly program in WRC 2.
I wouldn't be supprised if he ends up in a rally1 this season again. If mikkelsen doesn't perform better than in monte, he might be replaced.

doubled1978
14th February 2024, 11:10
I wouldn't be supprised if he ends up in a rally1 this season again. If mikkelsen doesn't perform better than in monte, he might be replaced.

But would you replace him with Suninen on Tarmac where Mikkelsen is mainly being used? I wouldn’t.

Fast Eddie WRC
15th February 2024, 08:44
I hope young Will Creighton has a good first Rally2 car drive in Sweden.

His Fiesta Rally2 is probably the nearest thing to an M-Sport entry this season.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/GGTKRdAWQAAJNjG?format=jpg&name=large

Fast Eddie WRC
15th February 2024, 12:20
Junior champion Creighton ready for 'big leap' to WRC2 - https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/motorsport/68286921

RS
18th February 2024, 15:17
Solberg said Sweden was 'his first event with Skoda Motorsport' so it seems he will be serviced by Skoda Motorsport personnel (in a Toksport tent) on his nominated WRC2 events. Footage from service confirmed this and i think this is how it was for Mikelssen last year too.

mknight
18th February 2024, 15:59
Afaik Monte was with same team. So more like first "nominated" event. His car was also ran by Skoda Motorsport in 2020.

Anyway, in Sweden he was the only top guy in a Fabia. So kinda hard to say how much car helped.

Backa
19th February 2024, 09:28

If Mikkelsen will be performing badly, I would expect Lappi to enter more rallies. He had some podium finishes on tarmac.

And there is also some chance for Solberg to be back in WRC in Hyundai. If Tanak could to that, Solberg can too and he is more promising prospect than Teemu.

Morte66
19th February 2024, 09:40
Of the WRC2 drivers who have never been in WRC1, who do you folks think are the hottest prospects on the tarmac?

seb_sh
19th February 2024, 10:19
Of the WRC2 drivers who have never been in WRC1, who do you folks think are the hottest prospects on the tarmac?

Probably Rossel.

Rallyper
19th February 2024, 12:51

Or Gryazin. Pajari also.

RS
19th February 2024, 13:18
Lindholm also pretty decent on tarmac (think CER last year or Croatia the year before)

Sal yet again
19th February 2024, 13:25
Solans although he has driven a previous gen Hyundai WRC

Mirek
19th February 2024, 13:43
Solans although he has driven a previous gen Hyundai WRC

When it's nice clean twisty stages it's definitely Rossel. On fast, dirty, bumpy stuff I'd say Gryazin but he also makes a lot of mistakes.

RS
19th February 2024, 14:01
On fast, dirty, bumpy stuff I'd say Gryazin but he also makes a lot of mistakes.

Does be still? i think he’s calmed down a lot the last year or two, but maybe lost a little of his raw speed.

mknight
19th February 2024, 17:01
Only Solberg is a real option out of these, for multiple reasons and tarmac is his worst surface (just check Monte again this year).

(Hopefully) he will do a full proper (and paid) WRC2 this year and finally combine speed with reliability to win it. Then he will be hot candidate for any Rally1 team next year.

Else I find it funny how people want to replace Mikkelsen after first Rally1 rally with one day of testing. Specially given last years Lappis tarmac results in same car (one good rally out of 4), not to mention Suninen and Sordo.

Mirek
19th February 2024, 17:02
Only Solberg is a real option out of these, for multiple reasons and tarmac is his worst surface (just check Monte again this year).

Read the original question. He asked for a prospect who hasn't been in WRC1. Solberg was.

Jarek Z
19th February 2024, 17:30
Lindholm also pretty decent on tarmac (think CER last year or Croatia the year before)

Yes, he used to be a racing driver before he switched to rallying:

But you started racing on circuits first, why there?
Yes, the circuits were really where I started racing. In 2012, I was racing first on circuits in Finland and then I got into the German Audi TT Cup series, which is a companion series to the DTM. Then I had the opportunity to race in GT Masters with GT3 cars. But as a Finn, it was hard for me to find sponsorship support to continue. In the meantime, I also did a few rallies in Finland and Germany in 2015 and 2016, when my results improved rapidly. But the reason I was mainly driving on circuits was also because it was easier to get a permit, for which I didn't need a driving licence. In addition, from a driver's perspective, it's easier to find a job in circuit racing than in rallying, as there are more paid drivers on circuits.

Did you enjoy the circuits more than the rally?
Not really. Maybe that was another reason why I've chosen rallying. For me, rally is definitely more challenging and more varied and even if you do the same event twice, it's never the same. You have to adapt and react. Rally is definitely more fun.

How did racing on circuits help you in your later rally career?
I think the benefit to the rally was pretty big; not only on tarmac, but also on gravel. On circuits, when you're doing the same section for 200th time, you concentrate on the smallest details. You have to drive to the limit every meter of the track. In a rally, you're more focused on the overall speed throughout the rally and you don't have as much time to focus on the driving. My experience on the circuit helped me just to get the most out of the car. On tarmac, the circuit experience helps with getting the line right, but even then the rally track is a bit different.

source:
https://www.skoda-motorsport.com/en/to-confirm-the-title-at-the-very-least-emil-lindholm/

Duvel
19th February 2024, 18:17
Pepe Lopez? Was impressed whit him in Monte!

Is he doing some WRC2 program this year? think Croatia could be good for him also!

masa90
19th February 2024, 18:53
Amazing weekend from Oliver in Sweden. Otherwise was again exciting race for the group!

Ok, it was one of his best rallys in calendar, but this is the kind of stuff he needs to show and surely he will be back in top category.

Also wow, Hyundai seemed to struggle hard out there. Hoping for some updates there. VW seems to stopped rally2?

TypeR
19th February 2024, 19:16
Amazing weekend from Oliver in Sweden. Otherwise was again exciting race for the group!

Ok, it was one of his best rallys in calendar, but this is the kind of stuff he needs to show and surely he will be back in top category.

Also wow, Hyundai seemed to struggle hard out there. Hoping for some updates there. VW seems to stopped rally2?
VW stopped with their R5 programme like 3+ years ago..?
They kept producing parts, but zero updates.

Racing Ka
19th February 2024, 20:25
Polo R5 have a 6 new homologations from 11/2023

becher
19th February 2024, 20:45

Done by a separate company that took over the spare parts business from VW motorsport right?

CeskyOndra
19th February 2024, 21:03
I think Solberg owns a Polo R5 :D

Racing Ka
20th February 2024, 06:27
Done by a separate company that took over the spare parts business from VW motorsport right?
Yes, Wevers Sport

AMSS
20th February 2024, 10:41

What have they updated? Anyone knows?

Mirek
20th February 2024, 10:49

That's quite normal. Prodrive homologated modifications of Mini WRC/RRC based on Pech's own late development. Škoda homologated modifications done by Kopecký for his Fabia WRC in 2006-2007 (even though Škoda motorsport didn't officially even exist by that time). There are for sure more similar cases like that.

Fast Eddie WRC
20th February 2024, 13:04

Some drivers have already swapped to other cars (like the improved Fiesta Rally2) saying it was because the Polo wasnt being developed any further !

deephouse
20th February 2024, 13:15
I think that they completely defunct VW Motorsport department. I guess Kristoffersson's ''VW'' is not run by factory, but localy. Shame, because they were so successful in anything they enter. Still don't know why they even produced 2017 WRC car and later that R5. Think that it was not that popular at all.

PLuto
20th February 2024, 13:37
Pepe Lopez? Was impressed whit him in Monte!

Is he doing some WRC2 program this year? think Croatia could be good for him also!

After his performance on Monte last year, this year result was not so big surprise. He was planning to do WRC2 also last year, but after issues with his driving licence, he was forced to "postpone" plans. This year he is planning to do full WRC2 (7 races) and spanish championship. In WRC2, as he is more tarmac than gravel driver, his next planned start is in Croatia.

PLuto
20th February 2024, 13:38
I think that they completely defunct VW Motorsport department. I guess Kristoffersson's ''VW'' is not run by factory, but localy. Shame, because they were so successful in anything they enter. Still don't know why they even produced 2017 WRC car and later that R5. Think that it was not that popular at all.

All of this is result of "green politics"...

becher
20th February 2024, 13:46
That's quite normal. Prodrive homologated modifications of Mini WRC/RRC based on Pech's own late development. Škoda homologated modifications done by Kopecký for his Fabia WRC in 2006-2007 (even though Škoda motorsport didn't officially even exist by that time). There are for sure more similar cases like that.

The Astra TCR comes to mind.

Mirek
20th February 2024, 15:11
Some drivers have already swapped to other cars (like the improved Fiesta Rally2) saying it was because the Polo wasnt being developed any further !

You have a private development and a factory development. Without going into details what exactly Wevers sport developed it makes little sense to argue about but I doubt that what they could do could be on a factory level of development at least in terms of quantity of the upgrades.

deephouse
23rd February 2024, 11:43
https://dirtfish.com/rally/wrc/hyundai-reveals-its-rally2-plans/

So Teemu again pick the shortest stick. And I really didn't believe those Rally1/Rally2 switch rumours. Now I do. Hyundai do want to have a clear direction on which car should they focus.

Fast Eddie WRC
26th February 2024, 21:34
Chris Ingram;

I am absolutely buzzing to announce my entry into the 2024 BRC.

The BRC will provide more return on investment than competing in WRC2 as a privateer. The entire six-round British Rally Championship, which includes an ERC round, national television coverage, top class competition, is valued at the same figure as a single round of WRC2 !

My intention is to return to WRC2 stronger, for a few rounds later in the year, once we have established solid foundations for the future. There are rumours Rally2 could become the top class in the WRC which would cut costs.

TWRC
27th February 2024, 06:14
Chris Ingram;

I am absolutely buzzing to announce my entry into the 2024 BRC.

The BRC will provide more return on investment than competing in WRC2 as a privateer. The entire six-round British Rally Championship, which includes an ERC round, national television coverage, top class competition, is valued at the same figure as a single round of WRC2 !

My intention is to return to WRC2 stronger, for a few rounds later in the year, once we have established solid foundations for the future. There are rumours Rally2 could become the top class in the WRC which would cut costs.

I admire him for trying, but this is getting silly really. For about 4 seasons now, he abandons his season 1 or 2 rallies into it in order to prepare for the next, only to do it again next year. To me it seems like he's not prepared to take a step back to take 2 forward, but rather keeps stepping to the side/standing still. Hope this season works out for him, but I fear he has to deliver something this season.

Fast Eddie WRC
29th February 2024, 09:22
I admire him for trying, but this is getting silly really. For about 4 seasons now, he abandons his season 1 or 2 rallies into it in order to prepare for the next, only to do it again next year..

I agree it does look like that but we dont know what happens behind the scenes.
Sponsors and budget have often let him down.

And he's had a lot of bad luck with car reliability and when money is tight it's not worth continuing when nothing significant can be achieved.

Fingers crossed that he can get a good start in the BRC and see it through this year.

steve.mandzij
29th February 2024, 14:52
I agree it does look like that but we dont know what happens behind the scenes.
Sponsors and budget have often let him down.

And he's had a lot of bad luck with car reliability and when money is tight it's not worth continuing when nothing significant can be achieved.

Fingers crossed that he can get a good start in the BRC and see it through this year.Considering how much he cries about other drivers' "seat time" you'd think that not achieving anything significant shouldn't be a reason to give up time behind the wheel...

Fast Eddie WRC
1st March 2024, 17:31
Considering how much he cries about other drivers' "seat time" you'd think that not achieving anything significant shouldn't be a reason to give up time behind the wheel...

Continuing just for the "seat time" would be great... but when need every penny and you are an ex-European rally champion, you have to use it to target something substantial.

And those with the money can not only do as many rallies as they like, their budgets also allow for 1000s of kilometres of testing (practice). The likes of Solberg & Gryazin have a huge advantage and you cant blame Ingram for mentioning this disparity.

steve.mandzij
2nd March 2024, 11:36
Continuing just for the "seat time" would be great... but when need every penny and you are an ex-European rally champion, you have to use it to target something substantial.

And those with the money can not only do as many rallies as they like, their budgets also allow for 1000s of kilometres of testing (practice). The likes of Solberg & Gryazin have a huge advantage and you cant blame Ingram for mentioning this disparity.Seems a waste of money to pay the entry fee and then drop out after a few stages becauae the result won't be there. Plus, how long is he going to go on with the penny-pinching story now that he has "contacts in Monaco", as he said?

rallyfiend
2nd March 2024, 11:59
Seems a waste of money to pay the entry fee and then drop out after a few stages becauae the result won't be there. Plus, how long is he going to go on with the penny-pinching story now that he has "contacts in Monaco", as he said?

Anyone competing at this level can't pretend to be 'poor'.

It's gotta cost around 80-100k to do a single WRC2 round.

He ain't poor, neither is his family.

And he ain't quick either.

Fast Eddie WRC
3rd March 2024, 13:29

The money is solely from hard-won sponsors. His family havent been able to fund him since his very earliest days. He's twice had to crowdfund just to continue in the sport at all.

And the reason he has swapped to the BRC this year is clearly because it provides much better value for money to get the seat time he needs before attempting another WRC2 event (funds permitting).

seb_sh
3rd March 2024, 14:34
Better to discuss about him in a BRC thread then, he is irrelevant to this topic at the moment.

RS
4th March 2024, 05:58
Ingram may have a point re the publicity for sponsors. I believe the WRC highlights show on FTA TV in the UK doesn't show WRC2 at all.

rp
4th March 2024, 09:50
Kajto to drive 7 WRC2 events again with the Fabia RS starting from Kenya.

Andre Oliveira
4th March 2024, 12:47
https://scontent.fopo5-1.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t39.30808-6/431125633_945815993580567_8097808520770956362_n.jp g?_nc_cat=1&ccb=1-7&_nc_sid=3635dc&_nc_ohc=-AD0UTi2ofAAX_lRdMi&_nc_ht=scontent.fopo5-1.fna&oh=00_AfDX8mhm0zvW4nIGROSRaLCouS7bzQNouUW6yV_BcYsh lw&oe=65EA8EE3
https://scontent.fopo5-1.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t39.30808-6/428523410_945815990247234_152654240951976692_n.jpg ?_nc_cat=103&ccb=1-7&_nc_sid=3635dc&_nc_ohc=2ZAGHbwdYtEAX9rw0Uq&_nc_ht=scontent.fopo5-1.fna&oh=00_AfDmsqp7K73G2eyXqzjTbjf1cFgfoTLL7SalhylsKdut ag&oe=65EAA211
https://scontent.fopo5-1.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t39.30808-6/431169729_945828510245982_7013618961778107535_n.jp g?_nc_cat=1&ccb=1-7&_nc_sid=3635dc&_nc_ohc=LZfNobZ5QA0AX_Y3woC&_nc_ht=scontent.fopo5-1.fna&oh=00_AfBVD-sc3xket9PmIcvxma8AXsdPYo1IBbt0L3EUTKLb0w&oe=65EA6A99

Fast Eddie WRC
4th March 2024, 13:05
Better to discuss about him in a BRC thread then, he is irrelevant to this topic at the moment.

I mainly posted the original info as it shows the high costs involved in WRC2 as a privateer...

"The BRC will provide more return on investment than competing in WRC2 as a privateer. The entire six-round British Rally Championship, which includes an ERC round, national television coverage and top class competition, is valued at the same figure as a single round of WRC2 !"

Mirek
4th March 2024, 17:04
https://scontent.fopo5-1.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t39.30808-6/431125633_945815993580567_8097808520770956362_n.jp g?_nc_cat=1&ccb=1-7&_nc_sid=3635dc&_nc_ohc=-AD0UTi2ofAAX_lRdMi&_nc_ht=scontent.fopo5-1.fna&oh=00_AfDX8mhm0zvW4nIGROSRaLCouS7bzQNouUW6yV_BcYsh lw&oe=65EA8EE3

That looks awesome!

Jarek Z
4th March 2024, 17:20
That looks awesome!

Which reaction is yours? ;)
https://www.facebook.com/RallyTroll/posts/pfbid0xzu3RqGxTTCFGNyNbWp6TSiw4Yzos2Fwp2mFkvQCX8nP pxcNtDK3ojqQt2hjxd4xl

Fast Eddie WRC
7th March 2024, 08:30
Josh McErlean announces 2024 WRC2 programme with Toksport World Rally Team...

https://preview.mailerlite.io/preview/347823/emails/113684007841957165

Fast Eddie WRC
7th March 2024, 08:38
Solberg on 50-50 decision re 2024 M-Sport Rally1 drive, plus his mental health after Hyundai ...

https://rallyjournal.com/oliver-solberg-reveals-major-decision-turned-down-a-highly-tempting-offer/

Hartusvuori
7th March 2024, 11:04
Solberg on 50-50 decision re 2024 M-Sport Rally1 drive, plus his mental health after Hyundai ...

https://rallyjournal.com/oliver-solberg-reveals-major-decision-turned-down-a-highly-tempting-offer/

He saw a psychologist for 30 minutes... That's... wrong. He had no issues if that's what helped him.

becher
7th March 2024, 11:12
He saw a psychologist for 30 minutes... That's... wrong. He had no issues if that's what helped him.

Thought the same, the whole Solberg Hyundai situation seemed overblown to me.

TypeR
7th March 2024, 11:35

Should have contacted you.. if you know his situation better.. :)

Fast Eddie WRC
10th March 2024, 10:07
Nice warm-up event for the Gus Greensmith on the Rallye Tierra altas de Lorca gravel. It was a mixture of dry and dusty plus some very heavy rain which could well be the case in Kenya.

macebig
10th March 2024, 14:27
Probably having to drop Monster as a sponsor played the most significant part in that decision by Oliver. And the part that Petter left M Sport twice not in the best terms...

Fast Eddie WRC
11th March 2024, 10:21
Probably having to drop Monster as a sponsor played the most significant part in that decision by Oliver. And the part that Petter left M Sport twice not in the best terms...

"This year, Solberg has full backing from Skoda."

"Solberg’s decision might also have been influenced by the fact that he would likely have had to pay for his seat at M-Sport."

Jarek Z
23rd March 2024, 19:30

...but quick enough to win the first round of the British championship:
https://www.ewrc-results.com/final/85607-legend-fires-north-west-stages-2024/

Fast Eddie WRC
27th March 2024, 12:36
It appears that 2023 JWRC Champion Will Creighton is to he the only MSport supported entry the WRC2 this season

News just out confirms they will support Jon Armstrong this season but in the ERC with a Fiesta Rally2.

Fast Eddie WRC
31st March 2024, 15:33
Great start to 2024, Gus !

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/GJ_vGdpX0AAzwZG?format=jpg&name=medium

saco0o
24th April 2024, 23:02
quick doubt: is this "citroen team" in wrc a "factory" team? i know its a team from belgium, but i dont understand if it is actual citroen behind them, like in motocross where kimi raikkonen's team is literally the european kawasaki factory team

PLuto
25th April 2024, 00:30
quick doubt: is this "citroen team" in wrc a "factory" team? i know its a team from belgium, but i dont understand if it is actual citroen behind them, like in motocross where kimi raikkonen's team is literally the european kawasaki factory team

With Citroen and DG Sport it is same like with Skoda and Toksport or Hyundai with CHL.

deephouse
25th April 2024, 14:51
I think it's the thing with cheaper fees. When it's official brand's entry it's automaticaly more expensive. One example: when you inquiry for a party place/picnic... and you say it's for marriage, it will be 3 times more expensive and when you say it will be for some birthday or random picnic, it's their regular price.

rallyfiend
25th April 2024, 15:17
I think it's the thing with cheaper fees. When it's official brand's entry it's automaticaly more expensive. One example: when you inquiry for a party place/picnic... and you say it's for marriage, it will be 3 times more expensive and when you say it will be for some birthday or random picnic, it's their regular price.

I think it's more politics.

These are not brands that are by their philosophy to be engaged in factory operations in WRC. So engaging with customer operations - no doubt with heavily subsidised agreements with drivers - allows them to continue.

Andre Oliveira
26th April 2024, 20:49
Pepe Lopez will race in other team and with other Rally2 model.

News by Shakedown Media

TypeR
27th April 2024, 19:40
Really waiting for rally Portugal to see Meeke's pace! Oliver will have proper challenge.. as Meeke smashed others.. yes, had puncture.. but still DOMINATED :D

Andre Oliveira
27th April 2024, 23:37
First leg he will be thinking in Portuguese championship. Then he can go for WRC2.

skarderud
28th April 2024, 08:57
Really waiting for rally Portugal to see Meeke's pace! Oliver will have proper challenge.. as Meeke smashed others.. yes, had puncture.. but still DOMINATED :DDidn't Meeke crash yesterday? Won't help dominating if he crash.

Sent fra min SM-S901B via Tapatalk

Rallyper
28th April 2024, 08:58
Didn't Meeke crash yesterday? Won't help dominating if he crash.

Sent fra min SM-S901B via Tapatalk

Think it was on SD.

wwbroe
28th April 2024, 10:22
Think it was on SD.
It was on qualifying stage, he rolled the car and it was said that he won't be able to start the rally. But team managed to repair the car and he did start and dominated drivers like Rossel, Gryazin and Loubet.

Rallyper
28th April 2024, 17:47
It was on qualifying stage, he rolled the car and it was said that he won't be able to start the rally. But team managed to repair the car and he did start and dominated drivers like Rossel, Gryazin and Loubet.

strong performance.

WRCStan
28th April 2024, 23:03
Prince Albert of Monaco seen dining in Cheshire village
https://www.cheshire-live.co.uk/news/chester-cheshire-news/prince-albert-monaco-seen-dining-29037408

Chris Ingram Rally - Dream big, work hard, make it happen / On top of the world
https://www.facebook.com/chrisingramrally

This is a rumours thread.

Jarek Z
29th April 2024, 14:09

Yes, it's the official Citroen team. Both Rossel and Gryazin are supported by the factory. You can see their press releases on the offcial website of Stellantis - the owner of Citroen brand:
https://www.media.stellantis.com/em-en/citroen-racing/press/citroen-racing-presents-a-bold-new-c3-rally2-livery-for-the-2024-season

er88
29th April 2024, 17:15

Wow, impressive work really by the team and Meeke. As I gather some slight advantage with the tyres, is that true? But then you also have offical Hyundai team recognizing their rally2 car is lacking.

Shame Meeke will have to hold a margin on first day in Portugal, as afterall it's Hyundai Portugal caring about the title and they are giving him the drive. And Armindo seems to always be there in 2nd!

tonirali
30th April 2024, 08:51
Ruben Rodrigues seemed to have the measure of Armindo until that puncture in SS4, but other than that, nobody in the national championship seemed to be making any inroads.

JRodrigues
30th April 2024, 10:09
Wow, impressive work really by the team and Meeke. As I gather some slight advantage with the tyres, is that true? But then you also have offical Hyundai team recognizing their rally2 car is lacking.

Shame Meeke will have to hold a margin on first day in Portugal, as afterall it's Hyundai Portugal caring about the title and they are giving him the drive. And Armindo seems to always be there in 2nd!

Even if Meeke wins the championship (which of course he will) he won't be the champion (yes, that is correct!)

I can see him going flat out.

Andre Oliveira
30th April 2024, 17:09
Pepe Lopez moved to Past Racing. Now he will drive Ford Fiesta Rally2.

Eli
2nd May 2024, 08:27
https://dirtfish.com/rally/wrc/how-citroen-is-trying-to-close-the-skoda-gap/

In short, having another driver in the team helps.

saepuru
22nd May 2024, 00:19
Virves, the 2022 JWRC Champion, has revealed the livery for his car for Sardegna + plans to contest Rally Latvia and Poland.
https://www.wrc.com/a/news/w27940_Virves-unveils-new--koda-for-WRC2-comeback?fbclid=IwZXh0bgNhZW0CMTAAAR1q3eJBv3RHTtZb 1K0lAfVdIG4o636BMPNYOhkZieFAsN5GfM1yOj6BN94_aem_AX 5IfSrhDZsnNaK5YaI5COYR2jtXj0CGBOT2bQE2SF06g6oFtbdO nnKduNwQjvYsW_5dhkHLk9sYIH8IiIJxZkxS

Great to see him driving a competitive car this year!

Andre Oliveira
22nd May 2024, 13:05
Bulacia changed from Citroën C3 Rally2 / Sports & You to Škoda Fabia RS Rally2 / The Racing Factory.

https://scontent.fopo5-1.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t39.30808-6/441213804_866197195543521_5541774060447370016_n.jp g?_nc_cat=1&ccb=1-7&_nc_sid=5f2048&_nc_ohc=XKTqu9f-ZF4Q7kNvgFownUu&_nc_ht=scontent.fopo5-1.fna&oh=00_AYD26R6chJ_D2ZfkQwoEPHPunT9hPMjs59_I20QR4ALj Mw&oe=6653ACDC

https://scontent.fopo5-1.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t39.30808-6/443954793_18348463126129950_5367131691195309570_n. jpg?_nc_cat=1&ccb=1-7&_nc_sid=5f2048&_nc_ohc=b4zfAB0CJ4IQ7kNvgF2UmIY&_nc_ht=scontent.fopo5-1.fna&oh=00_AYCEGdGP6n5ay1k6GfXLE5vmBGinARo3KiHhA_UfsGPp Qw&oe=6653B46E

https://scontent.fopo5-2.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t39.30808-6/441503790_18348463153129950_5674064267861336244_n. jpg?_nc_cat=106&ccb=1-7&_nc_sid=5f2048&_nc_ohc=cDIMxda50dkQ7kNvgGEbonG&_nc_ht=scontent.fopo5-2.fna&oh=00_AYCI0guSfN94alv_NSygobdBcR3kMIYHab7aRLVbQMsJ 7w&oe=6653DF7A

Andre Oliveira
20th June 2024, 14:57
Robert Blach in WRC with The Racing Factory Škoda Fabia RS Rally2 at Acropolis and Central Europe.

RS
29th June 2024, 19:00
Looks like something went wrong with the updates on the Hyundai, i didn't even realise Suninen was there until he popped up with a decent time on one of the SSS.

masa90
29th June 2024, 19:25
Looks like something went wrong with the updates on the Hyundai, i didn't even realise Suninen was there until he popped up with a decent time on one of the SSS.

Suninen (and Emil) is driving really old and slow version of the car. Need to change out of there fast, stuff like this wastes hell of a lot of money and time.

RS
29th June 2024, 19:42
Suninen (and Emil) is driving really old and slow version of the car. Need to change out of there fast, stuff like this wastes hell of a lot of money and time.

I thought they had updates and Suninen only started his season once they arrived?

masa90
29th June 2024, 19:55
I thought they had updates and Suninen only started his season once they arrived?

That was the talk before the season yeah, but something must gone wrong. Both driverpairings have been really quiet and almost "missing" from normal coverage aswell. Not sure what is going on, but sure is that the car is slow. Really slow. There are some drivers there with better pace who are not even close at the speed really.

mknight
29th June 2024, 21:41
Paddon just did quite well with it on similar ERC Sweden.

AndersX
29th June 2024, 22:23
Paddon just did quite well with it on similar ERC Sweden.

If i understand it right, they have their own development programm - how does it work with homologation, i am not sure. Though, I doubt that Paddon is so much faster than Sunninen (but he is still fast, pitty we lost him from WRC).

mknight
30th June 2024, 05:47
I agree that as drivers right now they should be on about same level. Which makes Suninens pace in Poland strange.

masa90
30th June 2024, 09:23
See the whole season. Sadly that car is really bad. Loads of old parts and without development according to some journalists.

Eli
30th June 2024, 09:51
See the whole season. Sadly that car is really bad. Loads of old parts and without development according to some journalists.

Hyundai said they wouldn’t focus as much on developing the car this year (& they also dropped the official support), but they said they would evaluate the situation at the end of the year. I think they said that at the start of the year.

WRCStan
30th June 2024, 09:57
That fits with N going to all-electric.

Fast Eddie WRC
31st July 2024, 12:25

Confirmed. No wonder Suninen & Lindholm continue to struggle...

https://rallyjournal.com/finnish-drivers-are-in-for-a-painful-home-rally-it-would-be-nice-to-drive-if-the-performance-was-there/

dimviii
31st July 2024, 14:55
Paddon also was reffering about the weak engine at last rally at erc
''car likes downhill''

deephouse
31st July 2024, 14:59
Paddon also was reffering about the weak engine at last rally at erc
''car likes downhill''

But looks like he is the only one who can make the most out of it.

Fast Eddie WRC
31st July 2024, 15:51
Paddon was doing a development test yesterday, joined by Camilli...

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/GT0jmApXAAA5iQZ?format=jpg&name=medium

RS
5th August 2024, 16:22
Does the Fabia have the new longer gearbox yet? I noticed in Finland they briefly showed Solberg's speed data topping out at 189kmh.

Mirek
5th August 2024, 17:15
Does the Fabia have the new longer gearbox yet? I noticed in Finland they briefly showed Solberg's speed data topping out at 189kmh.

I don't know but there were multiple modifications to the trasnmission homologated earlier this year.
https://www.fia.com/sites/default/files/voiturescomplet_juin.2024.pdf

Morte66
5th August 2024, 20:32
Paddon was doing a development test yesterday, joined by Camilli...

It's strange, seeing Camilli is a real blast from the past. When I started watching WRC1, maybe 2015 or 2016, he was on the fringes of it. I saw your post and thought "Is he still going?"