PDA

View Full Version : Amazing restoration of Grp B cars

WRCfan
23rd May 2007, 03:32
Found these links on special stage dot com forums.

They are links to restoration of Miki Biasion's 1986 Lancia Delta S4 Grp B car as well as Kankkunen's Toyota Celica.

Have a look for a wow factor!

Lancia Delta S4:
http://www.mat.fi/project1986lanciadeltas4.htm

Kankkunen's Celica (restored for himself):
http://www.mat.fi/project1984toyotacelicaturbo.htm

Enjoy! I certainly was blown away by what they did with the Celica from the condition it came into the workshop. Seems it is a outfit in Finland...

WRCfan

koko0703
23rd May 2007, 04:01
Very nice!!! It's good to see people making effort to preserve the history of rallying.

FAlonso
23rd May 2007, 04:52
I'm speechless. This is an amazing effort! Congratulations to these guys! Let´s hope this is a trend which catches on and others, with the required skills and resources, see this as an example!

Very nice post WRCfan!

pino
23rd May 2007, 06:22
Found these links on special stage dot com forums.

They are links to restoration of Miki Biasion's 1986 Lancia Delta S4 Grp B car as well as Kankkunen's Toyota Celica.

Have a look for a wow factor!

Lancia Delta S4:
http://www.mat.fi/project1986lanciadeltas4.htm

Kankkunen's Celica (restored for himself):
http://www.mat.fi/project1984toyotacelicaturbo.htm

Enjoy! I certainly was blown away by what they did with the Celica from the condition it came into the workshop. Seems it is a outfit in Finland...

WRCfan

Cool memories, especially the Delta S4...thanks WRCfan :up:

jiipee64
23rd May 2007, 06:26
The S4 is for sale!

pino
23rd May 2007, 06:30
The S4 is for sale!

If I didn't had 2 kids I would buy it ;)

ps: You mind translate your signature for me ? :D

Timole
23rd May 2007, 06:46
Great stuff, thanks for sharing that with us.

jiipee64
23rd May 2007, 06:52
In Finland we have a saying "Siperia opettaa" "Siberia teaches You"

1999 I was with friends in San Remo Rally. We wen't to the SS 2 (I think) which went through the village of San Romolo. We stopped when "the carabineri" showed us where to park. We looked the map and thought 2-3 kms and a 1 hour to walk before the first car... so no problem there.
Only the distance to the SS was 4,5 km and UP THE MOUNTAIN. Ok I made there in time but two of us didn't see the first car.

Since then we never cared what the "carabineris" said.
That why "San Romolo Teaches You"

BTW... That little restaurant in the village ("Dall’Ava“ I think it was) is an exellent stop to any rallyfan traveling that part of this little planet!!

pino
23rd May 2007, 07:13
In Finland we have a saying "Siperia opettaa" "Siberia teaches You"

1999 I was with friends in San Remo Rally. We wen't to the SS 2 (I think) which went through the village of San Romolo. We stopped when "the carabineri" showed us where to park. We looked the map and thought 2-3 kms and a 1 hour to walk before the first car... so no problem there.
Only the distance to the SS was 4,5 km and UP THE MOUNTAIN. Ok I made there in time but two of us didn't see the first car.

Since then we never cared what the "carabineris" said.
That why "San Romolo Teaches You"

BTW... That little restaurant in the village ("Dall’Ava“ I think it was) is an exellent stop to any rallyfan traveling that part of this little planet!!

They must have stop you at the junction to/from Perinaldo then, I personally know Dall' Ava (he's a former rally-driver from the 70ies) and yes his restaurant is a cool place to visit if you love rallying :up: I've been there many times myself and have had great memories with him as we competed in a couple of rallies together ;)

Thanks for explain it :s mokin:

Maui J.
23rd May 2007, 12:18
Wow! Thanks for the link WRCfan. That is amazing! I wonder where the Celica has been for all those years.

Donney
23rd May 2007, 15:07
It looks like it has been in the bottom of the sea. There's a picture with a plate from Bahrain.

It is amazing what these people can do. I have no doubt they really love their job.

Josti
23rd May 2007, 17:03
Fantastic work :up: Wish I could visit that workshop.

Altough many disagree, the S4 is one hell of a beauty. But I wonder, how could the Toyota be in such a bad shape?

Anyway, thanks for the links WRCfan :)

N
23rd May 2007, 17:24
awesome site, nice photos,
yeah, Bahrain, I'm driving over to Bahrain tomorrow, :) Someone just didn't store the car properly and the sea salt and heat got to it, it's a good thing they rescued it before it was too badly damaged.

ZequeArgentina
23rd May 2007, 17:36
excellent work.

I also likedthe 1983 Audi Quattro: http://www.mat.fi/project1983audiouattroa2.htm

jonas_mcrae
23rd May 2007, 19:46
wow this guys really know what they are doing!! they also have stalins car LOL

ST205GT4
24th May 2007, 05:32
What magnificent work.

JAM
24th May 2007, 14:33
Fantastic work and excelent find this site :)

shurik
24th May 2007, 15:19
Very impressing! wish i could visit it

Neodyum
25th May 2007, 14:06
Whoua !

klm-607
25th May 2007, 14:23
Absolutely Incredible!!!! What dedication & drive these guys must have. I love it!! Thanks for the awesome find WRCfan!!

WRCfan
25th May 2007, 15:06
No worries everyone, was a great find!!! I love the Grp B cars and it is nice to see someone doing them justice in their restoration!!!

Kankkunen would be one happy man with a celica which has been worked so well like that!!!! I was blown away by the work that goes into the cars! spectacular!!! wouldnt want to drive it outside and get it dirty haha.

padWRC
26th May 2007, 03:06
Another italian site with old rally cars:
http://www.corradinsrl.it/auto-rally-storiche/

WRXedUSA
26th May 2007, 05:36
Fantastic photos. Fantastic.

The Martini stripes, wow, what patience that must have taken.

jiipee64
26th May 2007, 10:37
>>WRCfan wrote
>>wouldnt want to drive it outside and get it dirty haha.

I talked to KKK a few years ago when we pushed his ST185 to the Rally Finland show. He had his 205T16 there too.
I asked how fine they "move".
He said " They moved allright during the last Juhannus".
Juhannus is our midsummer festival.

So these babies get a proper spinaround everynow and then...

pino
26th May 2007, 10:51
He had his 205T16 there too...

I would give an eye for a ride with KKK on that car at Onynphoja ( or whatever is spelled) :p : :s mokin:

sxis
26th May 2007, 14:29
Love to see them driven in anger again !

jonas_mcrae
26th May 2007, 14:38
Im too young to know, but for example when Peugeot left wrc, all the 307's were sold quite fast and then run in different championships quite succesfully and gave Pug a lot of free publicity. So when group B cars were banned what happened to them? just stored? sold? dismateled? raced? did they go to any national championship? I heard some ended up the middle east and america...

thanks

Josti
26th May 2007, 16:47
Im too young to know, but for example when Peugeot left wrc, all the 307's were sold quite fast and then run in different championships quite succesfully and gave Pug a lot of free publicity. So when group B cars were banned what happened to them? just stored? sold? dismateled? raced? did they go to any national championship? I heard some ended up the middle east and america...

thanks

Probably. Early Group B cars were mostly still seen in national championships (like Ascona's, Manta's and Quattto's), also the Metro's specially in the British rallies and Rally 037's in Italian ones. The Celica's were leading cars till the late 80's in the Middle East and maybe in Africa too. Those real Supercars like the 205 T16, Quattro S1 and the Delta S4 were either set in storage or were used for the Rallycross championships (take for exampe the European championship were they were still used till the early 90's). At least, this is as far as I know.

N.O.T
26th May 2007, 17:16
It just shows what people with true passion can achieve......amazing.....

Harde
26th May 2007, 20:07
WOW! This is really incredible. When I first saw the Toyota`s pics, all rusty and messed up like brought from the junkyard, it really made me sad to see a car with such history being in that shape. But when I saw the last pics, what they`ve done to it, my mood-o-meter went to 100% :D

jonas_mcrae
26th May 2007, 22:21
Probably. Early Group B cars were mostly still seen in national championships (like Ascona's, Manta's and Quattto's), also the Metro's specially in the British rallies and Rally 037's in Italian ones. The Celica's were leading cars till the late 80's in the Middle East and maybe in Africa too. Those real Supercars like the 205 T16, Quattro S1 and the Delta S4 were either set in storage or were used for the Rallycross championships (take for exampe the European championship were they were still used till the early 90's). At least, this is as far as I know.

thanks Josti

L5->R5/CR
26th May 2007, 22:43

The RS200 got to cut its teeth in Britain and some European events after Group B was banned as well...

There are some videos of Mark Lovell in a RS200 in the BRC that are incredible.

Josti
27th May 2007, 00:17
The RS200 got to cut its teeth in Britain and some European events after Group B was banned as well...

There are some videos of Mark Lovell in a RS200 in the BRC that are incredible.

I think that was 1986 (his championship year). Mark Lovell made a switch to the Sierra Cosworth after the Group B demise. But about the RS200, we all know the Pike's Peak version of the car (Blomqvist). Though, I don't no if that car counts under Group B regulations.

Sulland
27th May 2007, 08:08
Think it is cool that the old racers are taken care of and people with the right skilsets or wallet are putting them in to shape again.

We see the same trend in Formula cars, where several race series are established for older cars.
@
Can the Old Gr B cars be used in any Historic series yet ?

Josti
27th May 2007, 11:24
We see the same trend in Formula cars, where several race series are established for older cars.
@
Can the Old Gr B cars be used in any Historic series yet ?

Slowly Sideways is the best example for that I think. Not only Group B, but I think they are competing against eachother. Every year, they are present at the Deutschland Rally, but do several other events too.