PDA

View Full Version : 2024 WRC News & Rumours

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5

PLuto
10th October 2023, 13:18
I think it is time to start this thread...

Steve Boyd
10th October 2023, 23:09
What have you heard? :)

Rallyper
11th October 2023, 07:55
I think it is time to start this thread...

Yeah. Clean sheet.

GigiGalliNo1
11th October 2023, 14:23
No Saudi but Poland in.

HKSjbg
11th October 2023, 17:16
I’m not a fan of Rajd Polski but at least it’s a rallying mad country, can’t argue that it doesn’t deserve a place back on the WRC calendar

PLuto
11th October 2023, 18:42
I’m not a fan of Rajd Polski but at least it’s a rallying mad country, can’t argue that it doesn’t deserve a place back on the WRC calendar

I have nothing against Rajd Polski, but I think there should be some non-European event instead of them. Or at least some tarmac event...

AndyRAC
11th October 2023, 18:50

It should return to its Tarmac roots, as it did for most of its history. Would break up the gravel events.

TypeR
13th October 2023, 15:07
Loubet and Gilsoul separate their ways.

from Loubet' IG post

240RS
13th October 2023, 17:46
Beginning to look ominous for Loubet. Ever since the M-Sport and Ford article saga, you felt the team had lost interest in him. It will require some stupendous performances in the next two/three events to get the team solidly behind him.

Duvel
13th October 2023, 18:14
Loubet and Gilsoul separate their ways.

from Loubet' IG post

Didnt see that coming, hope Gilsoul can find some other good seat next to wrc driver.. Nice guy.

Not easy situation for Loubet,.. Has to try and show speed each rally, and that brings even more pressure whit each rally gone by.

SubaruNorway
14th October 2023, 09:17
Gilsoul seems very stressed in many situations, maybe not the best for an un experienced driver

EstWRC
14th October 2023, 14:36
Anyone has access and can tell what Gilsoul says here?

https://www.autohebdo.fr/actualites/rallye/wrc/nicolas-gilsoul-jai-pris-un-uppercut-exclusif.html

Paul Hudson
14th October 2023, 15:50
Nicolas Gilsoul will no longer sit in the right seat of the Ford Puma Hybrid Rally1 driven by Pierre-Louis Loubet in the World Rally Championship. “ I admit I took an uppercut. I'm sitting in my chair , admits Thierry Neuville 's former co-driver, already fired at the start of 2021, just before the Monte-Carlo Rally . Frankly, I didn't see this decision coming .

EstWRC
14th October 2023, 16:13
Well the article goes further, no?

And I’m not so sure about this google translation

TypeR
16th October 2023, 06:46
Gilsoul:

,,Even though I rewatched the images from the on-board camera several times, I don't see where I could have made a mistake," the Belgian teammate told us, still in shock. "We were hurtling at 150 km/h with hidden curves. If I didn't announce it at that time, it would have been too late at the speed we were arriving. If I had to do it again, I wouldn't change a thing.
It's a unilateral decision that I didn't expect at all. I really don't understand. I took an uppercut there, admits Nico. After Finland again, Pirlouis called me to congratulate. I have 246 scratches and 43 podiums under my belt in the WRC. I'm not perfect, but I don't think I should take the blame for that. It's sad to end our contract like this rallies at the end of the season."

https://www.dhnet.be/sports/moteurs/wrc/2023/10/13/nicolas-gilsoul-vire-sur-le-champ-par-loubet-jr-jai-pris-un-uppercut-CW2FD5SRGJEONI6EWFVZUQOV4U/

trykmann
16th October 2023, 07:00
Gilsoul:

https://www.dhnet.be/sports/moteurs/wrc/2023/10/13/nicolas-gilsoul-vire-sur-le-champ-par-loubet-jr-jai-pris-un-uppercut-CW2FD5SRGJEONI6EWFVZUQOV4U/

My opinion on Loubet just dropped to the ground. It is quite unlikely such a experienced co-driver is the main cause for all the errors.

wwbroe
16th October 2023, 09:22
It was certainly no error of Nicolas, i think it is Loubet who should blame himself.

sinepikohv
16th October 2023, 11:19
It should return to its Tarmac roots, as it did for most of its history. Would break up the gravel events.

Excactly. I once talked to a Polish driver and a co-driver and they said that almost every round in the national championship is on tarmac. We have plenty of (fast) gravel events, in a 14 event calendar there should be at least four pure tarmac rallies.

sinepikohv
16th October 2023, 11:30
My opinion on Loubet just dropped to the ground. It is quite unlikely such a experienced co-driver is the main cause for all the errors.

Loubet's had three different co-drivers in WRC since 2021: Vincent Landais, Florian Haut-Labourdette and Gilsoul. Gilsoul is a proven winner at WRC level, Landais is winning with Ogier and Haut-Labourdette is still active so can't be useless either. I guess it's rather obvious that co-driver's are not at fault for Loubet's awful results.

In a way his merry-go-round reminds me of Gus Greensmith. He too has had plenty of co-drivers (Elliott Edmondson, Chris Patterson and Jonas Andersson) in the past few years and his results didn't get better too. But I don't recall Gus pointing fingers, just explaining he wanted a more experienced co-driver etc.

seb_sh
16th October 2023, 13:43
I don't know what happened with Loubet, he was decent in 2022 with Landais, same car same team and now this year he was all over the place. Reminds of Breen's year in MSport. Maybe he just wanted a refresh, maybe they didn't sync well, maybe he is looking for a scapegoat, I guess we'll see how he does going forward.

bluuford
16th October 2023, 19:04
Excactly. I once talked to a Polish driver and a co-driver and they said that almost every round in the national championship is on tarmac. We have plenty of (fast) gravel events, in a 14 event calendar there should be at least four pure tarmac rallies.

Well, most of the asphalt events.. there is too little spectacle on tarmac. I have watch all the events, all the stages in live, since 2018 in service park and I have to agree.. yes, cars look nice, but often that is all. For me and for most of the people, regular asphalt rally is not the way to go, especially on TV. I like special asphalt events like Monte where you have mixture with snow, salt, dry asphalt, rain. I liked Spain when it was mixed event, starting on gravel, then moving to asphalt. Japan is also quite interesting with high variability of different asphalts, some small gravel sections, some very muddy sections, huge amounts of leaves. I like ERC Barum rally with its bumpy stages. Some Croatian stages are also nice. That is all. The amount of nice footages you can get on gravel and fast gravel is much higher compared to regular asphalt event. On-site experience is slightly different, but this is only for small amount of people... I think the balance this year has been quite good, I would just swap between Croatia and Argentina, haven't seen Central Europe yet.

Duvel
16th October 2023, 20:00
Asfalt can be spectacular to IMO, Irish narrow roads, the vinyards on wrc germany,..

I hope CER wil have some good autum conditions,. Falling treeleafs, and maybe some wet conditions..

wyler
16th October 2023, 21:24
i think it is a very personal question...but we can all agree that variety, also inside the same event, is the key.

TypeR
19th October 2023, 15:00
2024 calendar
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/F8z-PH-W4AAMl4Y?format=jpg&name=medium

Duvel
19th October 2023, 16:41
2024 calendar
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/F8z-PH-W4AAMl4Y?format=jpg&name=medium

No big surprises from the roumors.
Regarding the "fast gravel summer". I agree whit most reactions,.. One asfalt rally in between would be better!

Only 3 non europe events,.. Australia or new Zealand should have been there in my opinion.

drive
19th October 2023, 21:04
from other angle - we could have 7 gravel events where 'cleaning effect' could be massive (presume all events are dry, not like this year some of them...), so leader starts... then drops a few places... other event - same story... could be fun reshuffle :) and for desert two tarmac events, where starting order is important also - I look forward for next year with optimistic glasses ON :)

Kenneth
20th October 2023, 16:41
Fourmaux is back in Rally1 for Japan.

CeskyOndra
20th October 2023, 16:52

With replacing Loubet, so expecting Fourmaux next year in Rally1

Managarium
20th October 2023, 16:52

And Loubet is out for Japan.

TypeR
20th October 2023, 16:56
With replacing Loubet, so expecting Fourmaux next year in Rally1
M-Sport

..and we look forward to seeing how they can perform back in Rally1 machinery.
This extended break will allow Pierre to concentrate fully on getting everything needed in place to ensure that he lines up in Monte Carlo for the start of the 2024 season.

EstWRC
20th October 2023, 17:53
So Fourmaux and Loubet it is for 2024 like expected

TypeR
20th October 2023, 18:02
I doubt Loubet in rally1 next season..
He would rather benefit from ,,Fourmaux like'' wrc2 season in 2024..

wyler
20th October 2023, 18:46

point is if they can find someone else for the rally1...

Jarek Z
20th October 2023, 19:51

Loubet won WRC2 a couple of years ago, so what's the point?

Jarek Z
20th October 2023, 19:51
So Fourmaux and Loubet it is for 2024 like expected

Poor M-Sport...

seb_sh
20th October 2023, 19:57
Maybe there's room in the budget for Loeb again for a few rallies.

rp
20th October 2023, 20:30

Then the best drivers were driving WRC2 Pro.

WRCStan
20th October 2023, 20:56
Maybe there's room in the budget for Loeb again for a few rallies.

Is he free much next year, has he finished Extreme E and W2RC? Dacia salesman in 2025. I can't see this "gentleman's agreement" ignoring M-sport and can't see many other takers.

PLuto
20th October 2023, 21:47

It was in times when WRC2 and WRC3 was divided, so it has not so big value like others. But mainly he need to make a step back to restart his career. Like lot of other drivers did in the past. Best example is Ott Tänak...

skarderud
21st October 2023, 07:36
I don't understand (exept of money) why M-sport dont hire Mikkelsen, solberg or some of the other wrc2 drivers that is good drivers.
Have both in the rally2, and rest of the races in a wrc1.
Fourmaux in full season, car 2 shared between 2 drivers that also fight for the WRC2 championship, cant see Mikkelsen is that expensive if he get the opportunity.
He also bring RB money i presume, and is probably the best non-wrc1 driver in the mix.
Loeb is good, and fun to watch, but he is getting older, how long is he fairly fast?
And is it right to give old WDC's parttime seats instead of use them on som talents?
I'm not shure, if we look long-term for the sport.

Sent fra min SM-S901B via Tapatalk

Fast Eddie WRC
21st October 2023, 08:30
Except when M-Sport can hire a top driver (Ogier, Loeb, Tanak) their strategy is to develop promising young drivers. Mikkelsen is not in either catagory, and Solberg's possible issue is his Monster sponsorship.

TypeR
21st October 2023, 08:41
I don't think Red Bull will be a problem..
Didn't they come only because Tanak joined M-Sport? Without him I doubt Pumas would be covered with RB logos.

wyler
21st October 2023, 08:44
Except when M-Sport can hire a top driver (Ogier, Loeb, Tanak) their strategy is to develop promising young drivers. Mikkelsen is not in either catagory, and Solberg's possible issue is his Monster sponsorship.

they had different liveries before...still, i guess money is the real factor.

Duvel
21st October 2023, 14:19
Fourmaux would deserve a 2nd decent rally1 chance!
Fourmaux full season.
Loubet wrc2 championship and some wrc1 outings.

Than they should go for Oliver Solberg, has speed, and can bring monster.

WRCStan
21st October 2023, 14:28

Their strategy is to make buck, not hire top drivers or develop young ones. That's their customer's choice. If Mikkelsen turns up with a Red Bull cap on or Solberg with a Monster cap, I'm sure they will embrace either.

I don't think Red Bull will be a problem..
Didn't they come only because Tanak joined M-Sport? Without him I doubt Pumas would be covered with RB logos.

They came in because nobody else did, that's their job. If they refuse Monster, they'll have to cover the hole, so I agree, it shouldn't be a problem. Pumas had Red Bulls in 2022, and Fiestas before too, didn't stop Greensmith and Loubet, etc, wearing different colours.

WRCStan
21st October 2023, 14:41
Possibility too that a car, two or a team carries EA logos next year. That'd be refreshing.

TypeR
21st October 2023, 15:03
Pumas had Red Bulls in 2022, and Fiestas before too, didn't stop Greensmith and Loubet, etc, wearing different colours.

Ofcourse, I dont know why I had forgotten that.. Breen, Fourmaux and Loeb had RB on their cars.

Thank for making me refresh my memory! :)

Kenneth
21st October 2023, 15:57
Now when RedBull is Ford's factory team in F1 I really doubt they would let M-Sport to have Monster sponsorship of any kind.

TypeR
21st October 2023, 16:48
Now when RedBull is Ford's factory team in F1 I really doubt they would let M-Sport to have Monster sponsorship of any kind.
From 2026..

Jarek Z
21st October 2023, 19:23
Except when M-Sport can hire a top driver (Ogier, Loeb, Tanak) their strategy is to develop promising young drivers. Mikkelsen is not in either catagory

Loubet isn't as well.

Kenneth
21st October 2023, 19:34
From 2026..

They will use engines from 2026 ofc, but it's already in development and they are doing promotions and PR together already, since the announcement.

Fast Eddie WRC
22nd October 2023, 08:57
Loubet isn't as well.

They didnt 'hire' Loubet as such, he's basically a pay driver.

Indreksi
23rd October 2023, 09:28
2024 Tet Rally Latvia Ticets went on sale. Discounted price until the end of the year!

https://ralli.ee/muugile-tulid-ajaloo-esimese-lati-wrc-etapi-piletid/

rallyfiend
23rd October 2023, 12:14
Is Kalle motivated to do a full season next year?

Perhaps - despite closing on a likely second successive World Championship - he'll go off and do more things that take up less time and provide more fun?

Where would that leave TGR with number of cars? Kalle and Seb sharing the third car? So who could be in a 4th....?

ouvreur
23rd October 2023, 15:10
Is Kalle motivated to do a full season next year?

Perhaps - despite closing on a likely second successive World Championship - he'll go off and do more things that take up less time and provide more fun?

Where would that leave TGR with number of cars? Kalle and Seb sharing the third car? So who could be in a 4th....?

On what basis do you doubt his motivation?

Managarium
28th October 2023, 15:29
So, Daniel Šaškin, president of Croatia rally organization board, says that FIA offered them a contract until 2027.

Also he says that in 2024 Croatia rally will be held in the same regions that it was since 2021., but from 2025 - 2027, the organizers want to place rally in Istria.

https://istarski.hr/node/94195-wrc-ce-se-voziti-u-istri-ali-postoji-jedan-uvjet

EstWRC
31st October 2023, 08:35
Seems where smoke there fire

Kalle with also part time program in future?

https://www.rallye-magazin.de/wrc/artikel/rovanperae-nur-noch-mit-teilzeitprogramm-51031/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

CeskyOndra
31st October 2023, 08:40
No I dont believe these rumours, I cant see it real in near future

Allez Andruet
31st October 2023, 09:20
https://www.mtvuutiset.fi/artikkeli/kalle-rovanperan-uran-jatkosta-villi-spekulaatio-managerilta-tyly-vastaus-se-on-ihan-selva/8810268#gs.7nppo6

Timo Jouhki comments the German rumor for Finnish media MTV: "Kalle is not retiring, that is clear". But when asked about a possibility of partial program, he says that he "can't give any comments about contractual details".

EstWRC
31st October 2023, 09:34
https://www.mtvuutiset.fi/artikkeli/kalle-rovanperan-uran-jatkosta-villi-spekulaatio-managerilta-tyly-vastaus-se-on-ihan-selva/8810268#gs.7nppo6

Timo Jouhki comments the German rumor for Finnish media MTV: "Kalle is not retiring, that is clear". But when asked about a possibility of partial program, he says that he "can't give any comments about contractual details".

So not denying the rumors at all

Interesting

AndyRAC
31st October 2023, 09:34
Doing a part season doesn't mean he's retiring......Why would anybody think that? Maybe he has more fun/enjoyment and less pressure doing Drift Masters, etc However, I don't expect that just yet, but who knows.

I've always been an advocate for drivers to try more than just one discipline.....

becher
31st October 2023, 10:24
In terms of the drivers championship Toyota could be in trouble then.

Or is this another attempt to raise his salary?

focus206
31st October 2023, 12:21
I think it's way too early to talk about Kalle not doing a full season... I can believe he not caring to chase 10 titles and wanting to try other motorsport disciplines, but I really doubt that moment is now.

seb_sh
31st October 2023, 12:43
I'll be surprised if something comes of this to be honest, I feel it's more of a way to get clicks. Altough it is strange that so many people are mentioning that "oh Kalle said he won't do it forever" etc.

Fast Eddie WRC
31st October 2023, 14:05
I know other drivers have gone on and won many Championships (Loeb, Ogier), but they were quite a bit older to start with.

Rovanpera - a double world champion by the age of 23 - may think what does he really have to prove.

Doon
31st October 2023, 14:17
If you put yourself in Kalle’s shoes, why not try something else. He still has age on his side to embark on a real challenge, like F1.

Oliverk
31st October 2023, 19:10
if you put yourself in kalle’s shoes, why not try something else. He still has age on his side to embark on a real challenge, like f1.

money,money and more money

fiscorpun
31st October 2023, 20:55
I'd start watching that RedBull Drifting European Master CHampionship Whatever the name is if Kalle switch to that. Like, In a heartbeat. Im all for that tbh. I would love seeing that. A CHAMP just moving away because he WANTS to try a new thing and be a champion there too.

F1 kinda sucks... he would never switch to that. Theres no sideways - Wheres the fun? haha
"Oh but you gotta set your suspensions like precislyyyy then you can be 0.0000000000000001milseconds faster so you can finish the race behind Max Verstappen" haha wtf

rallyfiend
31st October 2023, 21:21
Maybe the rumours started here by me are true (slight boast...). Sometimes you don't want your rumours to be true.

This is one of those instances.

seb_sh
1st November 2023, 11:19
https://www.autosport.com/wrc/news/rovanpera-hungry-for-more-wrc-titles-as-speculation-grows-around-2024-plans/10541116/

Latvala told Autosport: “Yeah we are working to continue with Kalle and everything is looking really good with Kalle for next season, but around Rally Japan time everything will be clearer.”

Negaiss
1st November 2023, 17:10
Kalles par time program for 2024 rumor is based on the fact, that Kalle has not taken Finnish military course (army) which is mandatory in Finland for men before 30 years old. Also Finnish NBA star Lauri Markkanen did it last year. The shortest program for elite sports man is 165 days. I guess, Toyota, Kalle and other people are thinking now, what to do. I write this bases on an article, which was published in latvian media today - https://www.go4speed.lv/lv/news/wrc/12275-parsteidzosas-baumas-rovanpera-varetu-izlaist-vai-aizvadit-nepilnu-2024-gada-wrc-sezonu/

masa90
1st November 2023, 18:12
Kalles par time program for 2024 rumor is based on the fact, that Kalle has not taken Finnish military course (army) which is mandatory in Finland for men before 30 years old. Also Finnish NBA star Lauri Markkanen did it last year. The shortest program for elite sports man is 165 days. I guess, Toyota, Kalle and other people are thinking now, what to do. I write this bases on an article, which was published in latvian media today - https://www.go4speed.lv/lv/news/wrc/12275-parsteidzosas-baumas-rovanpera-varetu-izlaist-vai-aizvadit-nepilnu-2024-gada-wrc-sezonu/

Lol. Basically if you are any kind of pro athlete, they will customise the service for you. Either take it in few stints, or then "postpone it" till you are "too old".

Army service will not be a problem for him. Possible that he wants to take a shorter program because there is too much going on, but it will not cause him to have to miss anything.

masa90
1st November 2023, 18:16
I'd start watching that RedBull Drifting European Master CHampionship Whatever the name is if Kalle switch to that. Like, In a heartbeat. Im all for that tbh. I would love seeing that. A CHAMP just moving away because he WANTS to try a new thing and be a champion there too.

F1 kinda sucks... he would never switch to that. Theres no sideways - Wheres the fun? haha
"Oh but you gotta set your suspensions like precislyyyy then you can be 0.0000000000000001milseconds faster so you can finish the race behind Max Verstappen" haha wtf

Not that anyone would care, but I wouldn't. Drifting is not for me (atleast watching from tv), but really gotta respect him if he wants to try different things.

Interested to see how the future will turn out. I would guess Kalle would atleast keep rallying part time. Winning rallys Monte Carlo and Finland would be nice motivators I guess. But hard to know, I am just a fan guessing like the rest.

1988senna
2nd November 2023, 01:43

Well , I agree with your idea, If Kalle really does part time in 2024, Who do you prefer can replace him to do the full time in next year. Ogier ? or other guy apart from Evens and Katsuta .

rp
2nd November 2023, 11:34
Well , I agree with your idea, If Kalle really does part time in 2024, Who do you prefer can replace him to do the full time in next year. Ogier ? or other guy apart from Evens and Katsuta .

Maybe Ogier can still drive one more full season if it´s 100% that Kalle is not there.

TypeR
2nd November 2023, 13:31
Rumours are that Rovanperä will do the season in rally2 car..

CeskyOndra
2nd November 2023, 14:03
Huh that's really weird

the sniper
2nd November 2023, 14:53
Maybe Ogier can still drive one more full season if it´s 100% that Kalle is not there.

I was always surprised that he stopped short of matching Loeb's 9 WDC titles, maybe one more year in him if he doesn't rate Hyundai's chances and Kalle isn't there to challenge his position leading the team...?

Katvala
2nd November 2023, 15:58
Where are these rumours coming from?

Sent from my M2012K11G using Tapatalk

TypeR
2nd November 2023, 16:20

They come from boredom-and-need-some-clicks.com.
15+ years of time, hard work, dedication.. and after 4 years & 2 WDC's in WRC the motivation is gone and he wants to do half ass season..?
Being best in best car/team with one of the best salary and quitting doesn't make sense.
+ Toyota wouldn't do such thing that they have 2 top-tier drivers doing half season, while going for tge Manus title.
Then they would have targeted Tanak.
Lappi back to Toyota is another fiction. What would they get from that?

seb_sh
2nd November 2023, 16:29

People making things up and reading too much into Kalle's laid back demeanor. Nowadays if someone isn't screaming their head off and bouncing off the walls they're "disinterested". Like I said before, Tanak has retired 6 times in the past two years already, surely Rovanpera can at least do a part time season in rally 2, no? (I'm being sarcastic).

I expect around rally Japan, Toyota will announce an unchanged lineup for next year. I have no source or rumor just my 2c.

1988senna
3rd November 2023, 04:47
I was always surprised that he stopped short of matching Loeb's 9 WDC titles, maybe one more year in him if he doesn't rate Hyundai's chances and Kalle isn't there to challenge his position leading the team...?

He can't break the record in continuous 9 years, Because he should complete military service before 28 I think

1988senna
3rd November 2023, 04:55
People making things up and reading too much into Kalle's laid back demeanor. Nowadays if someone isn't screaming their head off and bouncing off the walls they're "disinterested". Like I said before, Tanak has retired 6 times in the past two years already, surely Rovanpera can at least do a part time season in rally 2, no? (I'm being sarcastic).

I expect around rally Japan, Toyota will announce an unchanged lineup for next year. I have no source or rumor just my 2c.

If everything no change, Toyota should annouce as the same time as Hyundai did like last year, There must be some change for next year maybe depend on Kalle's decision for the military service

EstWRC
3rd November 2023, 06:01
Toyot are announcing the lineup during rally Japan which is logical.

Last year they even announced after rally Japan although nothing changed for this year

the sniper
3rd November 2023, 21:18
He can't break the record in continuous 9 years, Because he should complete military service before 28 I think

I was talking about Ogier. ;)

WRCStan
3rd November 2023, 21:55

Enough time for the law to change now that Finland has the backing of professionals.

Steve Boyd
3rd November 2023, 23:53
Lol. Basically if you are any kind of pro athlete, they will customise the service for you. Either take it in few stints, or then "postpone it" till you are "too old".

Army service will not be a problem for him. Possible that he wants to take a shorter program because there is too much going on, but it will not cause him to have to miss anything.THIS!
I remember the same discussions in the 1970's about Ari Vatanen. It never affected his rally career, why should it affect Kalle's?

TypeR
4th November 2023, 14:05
A little hint? :D
Solberg driving with black&green Toyota :D
https://www.upload.ee/image/15894644/Screenshot_20231104_172408_Instagram.jpg

CeskyOndra
4th November 2023, 14:55
A little hint? :D
Solberg driving with black&green Toyota :D
https://www.upload.ee/image/15894644/Screenshot_20231104_172408_Instagram.jpg

He is enjoying the game and he has to drive some Rally1 car here, if he wants to play. It makes sense that he has chosen Toyota, because it is the best here :D

Fast Eddie WRC
7th November 2023, 08:58
Loubet on his 2023 year and hope's for another try in a Rally1 in 2024...

https://dirtfish.com/rally/wrc/loubet-knows-hes-better-than-his-2023/

Fast Eddie WRC
7th November 2023, 15:57
Fourmaux with the same Rally1 aim...

https://www.autosport.com/wrc/news/fourmaux-hopeful-rally2-success-will-boost-2024-wrc-rally1-bid-/10544167/

WRCStan
9th November 2023, 16:53
WRC2 Power stage points scrapped due to the unfair split of running before and after Rally1

Eli
9th November 2023, 17:00
WRC2 Power stage points scrapped due to the unfair split of running before and after Rally1

Also on the matter, https://www.autosport.com/wrc/news/increase-in-tyre-fitting-zones-tipped-for-2024-wrc/10544802/

And don't be surprised if we see 250km's of rally, as they're pushing it to be the new minimum...

WRCStan
9th November 2023, 17:07
And don't be surprised if we see 250km's of rally, as they're pushing it to be the new minimum...

Why don't they just scrap rules they can't believe in?

TypeR
9th November 2023, 17:56
Already happening with Rally Latvia next year...
ca 250kms of SS and 4-5x more km of liaison..

PLuto
9th November 2023, 20:04

:(

AndersX
9th November 2023, 20:40
Source? Latvians know what they are doing. It is the same team that made Lat WRX top event for few years.

EstWRC
9th November 2023, 21:02
M-Sport could offer Oliver Solberg a return to Rally1 machinery for 2024 with the team open to resuming talks with the 22-year old Swedish driver.

https://www.rallyfish.co.uk/news/m-sport-could-offer-solberg-rally1-return?fbclid=IwAR2sGLZkAJvZrfnEjfsm4URmBCgAKNjI1A-v0Ay6-8hp-KAzUdMHEJYlf3U/

I have no idea how reliable this site is

er88
9th November 2023, 23:20

What a joke if so. The event has serious questions as to why it's even in the WRC before this (if true)

skarderud
10th November 2023, 04:45
M-Sport could offer Oliver Solberg a return to Rally1 machinery for 2024 with the team open to resuming talks with the 22-year old Swedish driver.

https://www.rallyfish.co.uk/news/m-sport-could-offer-solberg-rally1-return?fbclid=IwAR2sGLZkAJvZrfnEjfsm4URmBCgAKNjI1A-v0Ay6-8hp-KAzUdMHEJYlf3U/

I have no idea how reliable this site isDon't know, but its silly season.

But, is it a good move to go for the puma? Will it do any good to his carriere to drive it next season?

TypeR
10th November 2023, 04:58
Source? Latvians know what they are doing. It is the same team that made Lat WRX top event for few years.
https://www.go4speed.lv/lv/news/wrc/12250-oficiali-tet-rally-latvia-notiks-2024-gada-18--21-julija/

sindroms
10th November 2023, 08:42
What a joke if so. The event has serious questions as to why it's even in the WRC before this (if true)

Come on... do you really believe that Latvia organizers invented it by themselves?🤨 "Hey, we are newcomers so let's surprise the whole rally world by something new like shorter distance".

I think answer can be found above in autosport.com article. FIA World Motor Sport Council is considering the idea of shorter distances so Latvia WRC as a newcomer could have been chosen as a test.

br21
10th November 2023, 13:40
It's organizers choice, Promotor has nothing to do with it. I think simply not enough roads to make more mileage, and with SS1 in Riga and one rally day around Talsi/Tukums and base in Liepaja long road sections are also sure.

AndyRAC
10th November 2023, 15:28
That's what the ERC is for then......If they haven't got the roads for a 300km WRC event, they shouldn't have bid for a spot.

Sal yet again
10th November 2023, 16:49
That's what the ERC is for then......If they haven't got the roads for a 300km WRC event, they shouldn't have bid for a spot.

But they have the money obviously which is why the promoter accepted their bid..

Negaiss
10th November 2023, 23:28
https://www.go4speed.lv/lv/news/wrc/12250-oficiali-tet-rally-latvia-notiks-2024-gada-18--21-julija/

Please, Do not worry ! The article states just that rally SS distance will be longer than 250 km and this is just one journalists personal analysis based on the fact that WRC rally distances are longer than ERC rally distances. Do not worry, we have plenty of fast gravel and narrow forest roads.

denkimi
11th November 2023, 08:38
It's organizers choice, Promotor has nothing to do with it. I think simply not enough roads to make more mileage, and with SS1 in Riga and one rally day around Talsi/Tukums and base in Liepaja long road sections are also sure.
You know they had 315km in 2021?

there is never a lack of roads, only a lack of effort.

AndersX
11th November 2023, 20:42

So, are you mastering Latvian language? Correct translation says that distance will exceed 250km, not that it will be 250km. About total distance you are right. But do not make fake news!

TypeR
12th November 2023, 04:07
So, are you mastering Latvian language? Correct translation says that distance will exceed 250km, not that it will be 250km. About total distance you are right. But do not make fake news!
No need to master Latvian language. I translated it to English.
What fake news? I wrote ,,ca 250kms'' and source says ,,exceed 250kms''. If the distance would be 280-300km, they wouldn't write like that..(although 280 or 251 would also be ,,exceed 250km'').
Haven't been to Latvia/their rallies and didn't write anything about organizers. I just read the article and what officials said there. Hopefully comes good rally!

Tauri_J
12th November 2023, 05:46
You know they had 315km in 2021?

there is never a lack of roads, only a lack of effort.

What rally?

Rallyper
12th November 2023, 11:07
Swedish Rally 1966 1200K SS and down to -44 degrees. Winner Åke "Bryggarn" ("Brewer") Andersson, Saab Sport. 2nd Simo Lampinen. (Last o/a win for two-stroke Saab)

Efforts.

seb_sh
12th November 2023, 11:07
Apparently Toyota will announce their WEC driver lineup on 19th November after rally Japan finishes. I assume that's when they will announce the WRC lineup as well.

Andre Oliveira
13th November 2023, 19:57
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/F-0Hel6WcAAioKc?format=jpg&name=large

manthey
15th November 2023, 18:34
rumor is that Rovanpera signed 2 more years with an option for a 3rd.

Eli
15th November 2023, 18:56
rumor is that Rovanperä signed 2 more years with an option for a 3rd.

Rovanperä & Evans for 2 (more) years, and the driver line-up for 2024 will be announced in Nagoya on Monday (20.11).

Managarium
16th November 2023, 03:17
https://i.postimg.cc/s242Vk14/Snimka-zaslona-2023-11-16-053944.jpg (https://postimages.org/)

EstWRC
16th November 2023, 04:00
Lappi told Motorsport.com that he had asked Hyundai for a part-time programme for next year.
“I did request a long time ago already to do a part-time if it could be possible and the reason for that is that with my personal life, it has been quite challenging to manage everything when I am away all the time.

https://www.motorsport.com/wrc/news/lappi-gets-part-time-2024-wrc-programme-with-hyundai/10546883/

Kras
16th November 2023, 07:50
Lappi told Motorsport.com that he had asked Hyundai for a part-time programme for next year.
“I did request a long time ago already to do a part-time if it could be possible and the reason for that is that with my personal life, it has been quite challenging to manage everything when I am away all the time.

https://www.motorsport.com/wrc/news/lappi-gets-part-time-2024-wrc-programme-with-hyundai/10546883/

denkimi
16th November 2023, 08:15
Although i also doubt lappi would request a partial season, it could kinda make sense. He must have realized that he will never become champion, so winning rallies could be easier if he can get good road position due to skipping events.

Kras
16th November 2023, 09:18
These japanese roads are probably the most uninteresting venue for a rally event. It's gonna be a long and boring weekend

Kras
16th November 2023, 09:22
It's gonna be interesting to see how far Katsuta can make it before he bins it in p5

CeskyOndra
16th November 2023, 09:38
In my opinion these roads are quite fun

EstWRC
16th November 2023, 10:05
You guys are in a wrong thread

Fast Eddie WRC
16th November 2023, 17:00
Although i also doubt lappi would request a partial season, it could kinda make sense. He must have realized that he will never become champion, so winning rallies could be easier if he can get good road position due to skipping events.

I dont doubt this at all. Lappi has said this several times.

I remember well from his spell at M-Sport how difficult he found it being away from his young family so much. And when he was out of a seat altogether he really loved being at home.

becher
16th November 2023, 17:58

I remember well from his spell at M-Sport how difficult he found it being away from his young family so much. And when he was out of a seat altogether he really loved being at home.
Thats true, but I understand he had the possibility to continue at Toyota sharing the car with Ogier no?

bomber21
16th November 2023, 19:40

WRC is the only top sport that its “players” say they do not want to do all the “games” and they want to stay home.

I never heard a footballer asking to not play all the matches or an F1 driver to ask for a partial programme. They are doing what they dreamt of as kids and they want to live it to the maximum.

TypeR
18th November 2023, 11:45
Meeke hinting for smth? :D

Racing in RAC rally news came out 2 months ago, so can't be that..

Instagram story:
,,If you know... you know''
https://www.upload.ee/image/15955297/Screenshot_20231118_145933_Instagram.jpg

and also changed his FB coverphoto to one sitting in Yaris WRC..
https://www.upload.ee/image/15955315/Screenshot_20231118_150000_Facebook.jpg

pedro16
18th November 2023, 12:38
Probably just a livery tease. Should be this one https://i.pinimg.com/originals/32/bf/a0/32bfa0a7bed09a925cfa7a280491ddb4.jpg

Fast Eddie WRC
18th November 2023, 13:49
Thats true, but I understand he had the possibility to continue at Toyota sharing the car with Ogier no?

Yes but this is different. That was taking a full-time seat as opposed to keeping a part-time one, whereas now its take a part-time seat or nothing.

TypeR
19th November 2023, 08:07
Black and green Monster Energy Toyota rally2 would look cool :D

https://www.upload.ee/image/15958471/Screenshot_20231119_111904_Instagram.jpg

EstWRC
19th November 2023, 08:33
It is possible. Like Fowler said in the interview they won’t have a factory rally2 team but are looking for clients. So if Solberg wants it, he can have it

There will not be an official team with the Rally 2 car?

TF: At least at the moment the main purpose of the car is to sell for the customers to use. And that’s the main target. Of course, there may be some strong contenders who choose to drive a Toyota and that would be really nice. But at the moment there’s no plan to have our own for example.

Source https://www.wrcwings.tech/2023/11/13/tom-fowler-and-the-aero-topics-of-toyota-in-2023/

CeskyOndra
19th November 2023, 09:17
Kris Meeke has changed his FB profile photo yesterday and now Seb Marshall has finished as a WRC reporter.. Does that mean, that he is going to co-drive Meeke next year in Toyota Rally2? :D

Danny0405
19th November 2023, 10:03
Now, time for the last moments of the silly season.

For Toyota, we should know very quickly.
Some rumors about Rovanpera with part-time but doesn’t sound to be the trend.
Only other question mark could be about renting or offering the 4th car to a youngster (Pajari or Solberg depending on the goal, with a Rally2 program aside) when Ogier is not there… but doesn’t sound to be the trend also.
However, the most realistic view is that they keep the same team and organization.

For Hyundai, only one question mark, who will share the 3rd car with Lappi and there are a lot of options.
Suninen would sound the most logical on the trend but his profile is not the most compatible to share a car with Lappi and his results with the Rally1 were average (if we consider he bins the result in Chile). Still, looking at the pros and cons of each option, I think he will be selected.
Sounds like Hyundai is considering Sordo a bit too old now (and his results were average this year) … but he could have a farewell drive in Portugal in a 4th car.
Fourmaux was also in the rumors (quite compatible with Lappi) but his Japan outing may have end this opportunity; Rossel could have been compatible in a tarmac style but with no Rally1 experience and not a skyrocketing season, I don’t see Hyundai considering him.
Mikkelsen could also be a solution but he has never driven a Rally1 and his relations with Hyundai were complicated… however, his profile is a bit more compatible than Suninen’s one for sharing the car with Lappi (different situation than 2023).
Sounds also complicated for Solberg (not that compatible with Lappi + quite unconsistent still).
Lindholm sounds out of contention with disappointing results since he joins the team in Rally2.
I don’t believe in a surprise like Paddon or Munster (and I don’t see the point for Munster to leave M-Sport for a customer-run 4th Hyundai when we saw what happened with 2C).

For M-Sport, well, the question is about which driver could bring some backing to be in. Should be a combination of some guys among this list of candidates: Greensmith, Solberg, Fourmaux, Loubet, Munster. I don’t really see anyone else that could afford the car and having the backing. Loeb’s outings could also be in the mix but may be complex with his job at Dacia developing the Dakar car.
Serderidis sounds to want to find solutions for a part-time program for Munster (even if personnally, I think he is a limited-talented driver).
For Loubet, his poor season (2nd one in the last 3 years) may question the backing he benefits from a French guy… maybe a very last opportunity as a part-time driver?
Solberg, well, the Monster-Red Bull stuff may discard the solution.
Fourmaux is probably in contention but what happens in Japan will necessarily raise some question in M-Sport management (and the «*he starts back in Super Rally … but finally no*» episode may answer it).
In this context, I wouldn’t discard Greensmith coming back as a full-season driver if no one else (a bit like in 2021) as there is not anymore conflict with a top driver priority (Tanak).

Sal yet again
19th November 2023, 10:11
Kris Meeke has changed his FB profile photo yesterday and now Seb Marshall has finished as a WRC reporter.. Does that mean, that he is going to co-drive Meeke next year in Toyota Rally2? :D

He never burnt his bridges with Toyota and his work with the Hyundai Rally 2 car in Portugal this year after Craig's sad demise would put him in good stead for Toyota Rally 2 seat somewhere in '24

CeskyOndra
19th November 2023, 10:21
I was watching season review on Rally.TV while Paul King (one of the comentators) said, that another tall man is going to Hyundai.. And then others said something like "Don't tell any secret to Paul".. So does that mean, that some "tall" driver or co-driver is going to Hyundai?

Eli
19th November 2023, 10:33
Perhaps Seb Marshall will co drive for Meeke?

EstWRC
19th November 2023, 10:51
Perhaps Seb Marshall will co drive for Meeke?

I was thinking the same thing. I mean with rally2 machine

Rallyper
19th November 2023, 12:36
Yeah. Why not?
Pajari and Oliver sharing fourth car. And Rally2 car...
Could be possible outcome.

PLuto
19th November 2023, 12:56
There will not be manufacturer team. They will give cars to private teams. I think one team will be for japanese juniors, most probably some finish team. And others will be in private hands, in different teams.

bomber21
19th November 2023, 16:50
I believe WRC2 will be more interesting than WRC in 2024…

TypeR
19th November 2023, 17:10
Depends.. if cars work and two teammates + strict principal start to fight for wins and titles every rally, then there should be enough material for ,,Drive to survive'' WRC edition :D

CeskyOndra
19th November 2023, 20:52
So Toyota will probably announce their Line-Up tomorrow around 10:00AM

manthey
20th November 2023, 05:00
So Toyota will probably announce their Line-Up tomorrow around 10:00AM

I read a rumor

Kalle part time
Evans first driver full time
Ogier 10 events covering Kalle absence
Katsuta all events

TypeR
20th November 2023, 05:11
That ,,part-time'' word is so annoying already :D

Anyway.. I don't believe that Toyota would let thru such mess with half ass programs..

CeskyOndra
20th November 2023, 06:01
You mean that Kalle will be doing just 3 events? No, I don't believe it.. Without Kalle, Toyota will struggle. For me, Kalle is now better than Seb.

Andre Oliveira
20th November 2023, 08:01
It is official now.

“ News about my WRC future! I have signed a multi-year contract with @TGR_WRC !

In 2024, we will drive half of the #WRC calendar. Felt that this is a good time to have a year like this, and I explain more of the reasons behind this on the video.
#KR69”

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iC2-Jd_oJzY

rp
20th November 2023, 08:02
That´s it! Congratulations Ott Tänak 2024 WRC Champion!

No Kalle full-time anymore. First ever WRC season that there will be no any Finnish driver full season. Personally it´s also enough to not follow the WRC anymore. Of course Rally Finland, but no other events.

TypeR
20th November 2023, 08:05
allright, I have to take my words back..

all in all bad for WRC also, when such a champion (2 champions actually, Ogier too) doesn't race the whole year.

EstWRC
20th November 2023, 08:12
Thierry’s and Evans best chance to become a champ

And wow. Didn’t believe it

Andre Oliveira
20th November 2023, 08:14
Rovanperä shares car with Ogier
Evans + Katsuta full time

https://toyotagazooracing.com/pressrelease/2023/1120-01/

Galev62
20th November 2023, 08:16
Kalle will probably finish his military service also? Would make sense…

Andre Oliveira
20th November 2023, 08:18
Evans' year :vader:

seb_sh
20th November 2023, 08:26
Have to admit I didn't believe the rumors but there it is. Maybe a wise move from Kalle, also gives him a good chance to finally win Finland.

So now can the two forever 2nd finishers (Neuville and Evans) finally get one or will Tanak get a second?

240RS
20th November 2023, 08:29
Realistically, Hyundai hold two of three cards that can win the drivers' championship next year. Surely they can't blow it now!!!!

focus206
20th November 2023, 09:00
Big surprise. Now I'd say Hyundai is the favourite for manufacturer title, with Neuville and Tanak full time. As for the drivers title... if Hyundai doesn't improve reliability, I see Evans as favourite. If he doesn't crack under pressure.

CeskyOndra
20th November 2023, 09:13
It will be strange to miss Kalle on the startline, even If he is in the TOP class just for few years now. It will all depend on Hyundai's reliability - we will see on third round - Safari.. This is proper and maybe the last chance for Thierry. Looking forward!

EstWRC
20th November 2023, 09:31
Watch until end of the video where Thierry and Ott are commenting

Totally agree with them

https://youtu.be/Thv9vTydm_8?si=VoMrBrhwzjzI80ii

meh
20th November 2023, 09:44
Watch until end of the video where Thierry and Ott are commenting

Totally agree with them

https://youtu.be/Thv9vTydm_8?si=VoMrBrhwzjzI80ii

I'm sure they have discussed the topic with each-other a lot. They understand the reasons. It's not an "accident" that Ogier, Sordo and Lappi drive half-seasons because they want to do it that way.

But at the moment, we have only 4 full-time drivers for next season. M-Sport is big question mark - but whatever they add to the list, is not probably title-contender material.

On the other hand - I think winning a rally will be harder now, especially for full-timers. Because those half-season guys don't need to drive safely, they can go all in (till at least 2 cars from the same team are still in the game). Seb will not cruise there to get some more safe points, he just want to win. Additionally for gravel rallies they have huge road position advantage.

So maybe fight for title is a bit more boring, but hopefully rallies are more interesting.

denkimi
20th November 2023, 13:17
to me it seems like the story of someone who was pushed by his parents to do the things they couldn't, and not someone who had to fight against all odds to get where he his now.

Portimao
20th November 2023, 14:18
Rally 1 becoming so boring when there's just 4 full time drivers.

Mirek
20th November 2023, 16:57
Kalle 's and Lappi's decision only add to the overall pity state of the WRC. How else can you describe when fighting for the title isn't worth the effort even for the works drivers. That's not how it used to be. When drivers are not motivated, how can be the manufacturers, the sponsors, the fans? WRC, as it is, is an old man whose life became nothing but counting days. If WRC doesn't find a way to sell itself to the current world, it's done.

And no, I don't know the way either.

NoBudgetWRT
20th November 2023, 17:22
Wonder what fia and wrc promoter will do to prevent Rally2 on podium

rp
20th November 2023, 17:32
Wonder what fia and wrc promoter will do to prevent Rally2 on podium

Easy answer. Nothing.

Sulland
20th November 2023, 18:30
Not much competition for the current Rally1 drivers.
When was the last time one of them lost their drive?

Must be boring for them as well with so few competitors in class.

Eli
20th November 2023, 20:06
Not much competition for the current Rally1 drivers.
When was the last time one of them lost their drive?

Must be boring for them as well with so few competitors in class.

Neuville hasn't lost his drive even once since he entered the WRC top category in 2012.
Tänak has lost twice, once after 2012 and then in 2016 when he was demoted to WRC2.
Evans lost it same time as Tänak after 2015.
Katsuta since entering the championship fully in 2020, hasn't been demoted once.

macebig
20th November 2023, 20:30
Neuville was out of a drive after 2012. Citroen only offered him a limited program and it took Al Attiyah paying a full program for him in a 4th Fiesta to save his career.

Eli
20th November 2023, 20:40
Neuville was out of a drive after 2012. Citroen only offered him a limited program and it took Al Attiyah paying a full program for him in a 4th Fiesta to save his career.

yes but he did compete because of that in 2013 and even if he would've continued in Citroen part time it's still not like the other examples of Evans & Ott.

the sniper
20th November 2023, 23:31
Well, I find the situation utterly baffling. I think it reflects badly on Kalle, though I admire him in a way for choosing to walk away rather than just complain or be miserable, but more so the WRC, though luckily (?!) the WRC feels like it has fallen so far off the radar again that only the likes of us here will notice how bad it looks that the WRC's champion can't be bothered to take part...

Two aspects I don't particularly understand is why Kalle isn't trying to protect his own reputation, such as by blaming the state of the WRC (doesn't want to burn bridges?), and hasn't mentioned military service at all, from which I can only presume he isn't going to do it? I'm pro the idea of taking a sabbatical from employment in general, though I wouldn't consider the life of a young rally champion to be comparable to the misery some people experience in the daily grind of employment.

I could buy into the idea that half the rallies nowadays carry little kudos or value, with cookie cutter, generic short events, so aren't worth doing, but it seems that Kalle is one of the advocates for cutting down events even further... I'm not sure what the motivation would be to take part in further diminished 'events'.

DoN_cz
21st November 2023, 05:57
Remember how after the Breen's accident, there were inteviews with wrc drivers who paid respect to him and his passion about the sport...and some of them seemed to realise they should be grateful for this opportunity they have and complain less about everything... well this spirit has not lived long with them.

wyler
21st November 2023, 06:37
i think there's a lot of reflection missing half of the news.

rovampera signed a multi-year deal, with part-time 2024, but at least full 2025 and probably more.
i find a lot of the comments way too focused on his 2024. he never said i'm done 'cause wrc it's boring/useless. he said he needed some break but also wants to be fully focused for 2025 on...

Andre Oliveira
21st November 2023, 06:56
2024 The half World Championship. JOKE. FIA should be ashamed of that.

Rallyper
21st November 2023, 07:18
We need to have at least two thoughts in mind at the same time here, folks.

Kalle is one. Championship another.

Andre Oliveira
21st November 2023, 07:19
For championship is terrible.

doubled1978
21st November 2023, 08:32
It is a bit sad we will likely have only Evans/Katsuta, Neuville/Tanak and what, Fourmaux/Munster? Doing a full season next year. The reality of that is 3 guys really competing for the series.
The individual rallies should be mostly ok with the part time guys, but I do agree it’s not a great look for the series.

seb_sh
21st November 2023, 09:23
I think it's not so much about Kalle, he made his personal decision and I think for him it has more to do as he said with taking some personal time. I think he worked a lot behind the scenes and wants to take some pressure off. I remember during the pandemic when everyone was streaming sim racing I caught a couple streams of him practicing RBR. Sometimes he was alone but sometimes he had Jonne on the notes and they were doing it like a serious practice, not goofing around etc. That's the level of his dedication. He probably wants to have some fun, he's 23, when I was 23... well better that I not say :P

As for the championship I think there is A LOT of frustration about the current situation from everyone (fans, crews, teams etc) and this latest rally with the retirements and lack of interesting things and Kalle's announcement was a catalyst for everyone to say that opinion. I think everyone is right in some way but I don't see a quick solution, other than suddenly finding money to field 4 cars for each manufacturer on most rallies. I think the mistakes are in the past and there is a chain of "fixing the wrong things" and lack of vision. WRC has suffered from this for a long time, going back even since David Richards forced to go to 16 rallies and reduced to 2 car teams, and the cloverleaf format and so on. And since then they tried a few things but they are always a minute late and a dollar short. I think they fundamentally need to look at the "product" of rallying as a whole and how make it watchable and attractive without losing the essence. Right now it's mostly for hardcore fans. And it's not only the length of the rally either, the WEC is doing great when a few years ago it was almost dead. The tickets for the Le Mans race have just been put on sale and they are sold out already since 17th of November 2023 for the 24h race of June 2024!

AndyRAC
21st November 2023, 09:41
The WEC is doing great when a few years ago it was almost dead. The tickets for the Le Mans race have just been put on sale and they are sold out already since 17th of November 2023 for the 24h race of June 2024!

Sportscar racing has peaks, and troughs, and we accept that's how it is. We're in a great period at the moment. However, even during poor periods, they don't panic, and make drastic changes to be more popular. If those running the WRC ran Sportscar racing, they'd have made all races 2-3 hours, as 6 hours is too long for attention spans.

None of the other major motorsport series continually shoots itself in the foot making stupid 'short term' decisions.....and then wonder why they never work.

rallyfiend
21st November 2023, 10:16
Sportscar racing has peaks, and troughs, and we accept that's how it is. We're in a great period at the moment. However, even during poor periods, they don't panic, and make drastic changes to be more popular. If those running the WRC ran Sportscar racing, they'd have made all races 2-3 hours, as 6 hours is too long for attention spans.

None of the other major motorsport series continually shoots itself in the foot making stupid 'short term' decisions.....and then wonder why they never work.

But that's not at all true, though is it?

WEC is called Endurance but has events that range from 6 hours to 24 hours.

F1 and MotoGp have all introduced Sprint formats recently.

Formula E is full of gimmicks.

The new Dakar World Championship has a variety of lengths and formats that change from year to year.

EstWRC
21st November 2023, 11:44
Five GR Yaris Rally2s expected to start 2024 Rallye Monte-Carlo, Latvala reveals

https://www.wrc.com/a/news/w26999_FiveGRYarisRally2sexpectedtostart2024Rallye Monte-Carlo,Latvalareveals

WRCStan
21st November 2023, 15:57
I think the mistakes are in the past and there is a chain of "fixing the wrong things" and lack of vision. WRC has suffered from this for a long time, going back even since David Richards forced to go to 16 rallies and reduced to 2 car teams, and the cloverleaf format and so on.

Looks like 2024 will be more like pre-Richards than any since. How may drivers and teams were regularly doing 'full' seasons before? Can't blame him for everything.

seb_sh
21st November 2023, 16:06
Looks like 2024 will be more like pre-Richards than any since. How may drivers and teams were regularly doing 'full' seasons before? Can't blame him for everything.

Not for everything but he did a good job digging part of the whole. The decisions at the time were made to make money out of TV rights like F1. An yes there were plenty more drivers and especially stars. In fact that decision led to the WRC losing its brightest star. Even though he was maybe past his top going to 16 rallies reduced seats which meant McRae was out. Talk about shooting yourself in the foot.

Duvel
21st November 2023, 16:32
https://itgetsfasternow.com/2023/11/21/jonne-halttunens-concept-for-wrc-event/

Almost agree whit everything he says!

ik1911
21st November 2023, 16:36
Possible stop sunday cruising is random selection one of the sunday stages to power stage points!

WRCStan
21st November 2023, 16:53
What do the crews not contesting the 'WRC1' championship think of this? And what if then, there are only 8 cars doing a "super sunday"? I think it's inevitable something like this happens, but I don't think it particularly fixes anything.

Qualifying solves nothing but personal gain.

Glad he is saying something though.

EstWRC
21st November 2023, 16:57

Please listen to this man!!!!

The only part I don’t 109% agree is the qualifying stage but it wouldn’t hurt to try it for one season and see how it affects things

Managarium
21st November 2023, 17:29
Please listen to this man!!!!

The only part I don’t 109% agree is the qualifying stage but it wouldn’t hurt to try it for one season and see how it affects things

Maybe if not stage, why not use shakedown?
it is mandatory to run it 3 times, but you could do it 5 times if you want.

So first 3 runs is classic shakedown and 4th and 5th runs of shakedown are qualifying. The best of those two is a drivers best qualifying time, an then the fastest driver can choose starting position first.

Just my thoughts...

AndyRAC
21st November 2023, 17:59
He's got some interesting ideas; some are good, some I'm not so keen on - but I like some rallies having different formats - Safari/ Monte can/should be longer tests.

What has to be said, is that the current format of events/ calendar aren't working.......

At this moment in time (with 2.5 manufacturers), I'd go for a maximum of 10 events, with a mini break in the summer, like we used to see in the late 90s.

PLuto
21st November 2023, 18:00
I must say I dont like Jonne's ideas. Maybe it is good for TV, but making from rally one "longer rallysprint" will not help so much. Maybe it should make it better for top factory drivers and maybe it should be better in TV, but it can destroy the spirit of rallysport. When I am a spectator and I am going to watch the rally somewhere abroad, I want to see proper rally and full days of action. With this format it should be event worse than current ERC format and I am not sure I would be interested in spend so much money and time to watch only few stages. And same it can be also for "other" competitors - if you are travelling to the rally and spending huge amount of money, you want to enjoy the sport and not only one and half day of competition...

One more thing - and when there will be one superlong day, do you think that people will spend whole day watching all stages there? I dont think so...

seb_sh
21st November 2023, 18:07

That actually sounds good. I especially like super sunday, leave out the filler and do just 2 runs with aggregate time. For added interest they could be in reverse order for the 2nd run so if for example in the first run some crews have advantage due to road order in the 2nd run the others have advantage so it could end up really close.

Also the idea to have different character events sounds nice too.

Duvel
21st November 2023, 18:20
If a team enters the WRC event, they are obligated to enter the super Sunday, that way all competitors have to start.

Some events which run over more days is also good idea!

Thursday sss, the stadium stages are good show for (also not die hard) fans! Other rallys start on Friday (ceremonial on nice place, also good thing). And than run some evening, night stages!

Remote service, yes please, make those spots the beating heart of the rally! More special stages on Saturday so that fans have more options to go and watch the action. Germany back in the day had 5 stage loops, where it was possible to go and see 3 stages..

Mix surface stages should also make a comeback, Fia , and promotor should see this kind of thing adds to the spectacle.

What these cars are able to do, and what alien like skills these drivers have, you can only really see and feel when standing next to a stage! safety is off course big priority, but fans are allowed nothing anymore these days.

The idea's of Jonne are good baseline to star from!

Mirek
21st November 2023, 18:39
I must say I dont like Jonne's ideas. Maybe it is good for TV, but making from rally one "longer rallysprint" will not help so much. Maybe it should make it better for top factory drivers and maybe it should be better in TV, but it can destroy the spirit of rallysport. When I am a spectator and I am going to watch the rally somewhere abroad, I want to see proper rally and full days of action. With this format it should be event worse than current ERC format and I am not sure I would be interested in spend so much money and time to watch only few stages. And same it can be also for "other" competitors - if you are travelling to the rally and spending huge amount of money, you want to enjoy the sport and not only one and half day of competition...

One more thing - and when there will be one superlong day, do you think that people will spend whole day watching all stages there? I dont think so...

I'd reduce the number of events to ten and make the whole Sunday a power day.

CeskyOndra
21st November 2023, 19:02
I definitelly don't agree with qualifying stage. Young guys would clean the road on the first day and struggle, bad idea for me.

bearclaw
21st November 2023, 20:02
I must say I'm really an old school guy - I love the rallies and formats from the past and how longer a rally was I love it the most. Like in the 70ies and 80ies. But socialized with Mc Rae, Burns, Grönholm, Sainz etc. in the late 90ies. So I'm not that old.

If a format change attracts more manufacturers and brings up some new interest to the WRC I can live with that.
But the itinerary should people allow to watch a good amount of stages live. Like it was 2011 or 2013 in Finland. The format was a bit different but we watched a good amount of stages. Because I'm not traveling for four or five stages across Europe.

I really don't get it why they canceled the remote service a few years ago as well. It was a good idea to reduce the liaison distance and keep the cars quite good serviced in the rally area.

It's funny because last week I was playing around with some WRC format changes a little bit different than Halttunen ideas but at least I had shorten the days. But I had randomly the same idea with different formats for different rallies. The fast events like Finland, Sweden, Poland, Latvia or also CER, Croatia or Sardinia could be a short format version. Monte, Acropolis and Portugal used to be marathons in the past as well, so they can use a normal or longer format. The oversee rallys should do also a longer format, because oversee traveling for 2 full days of rallying makes really no sense.

Halttunen ideas are really good. I never thought that I would appreciate a format change but it seems something has to be done in WRC.

Mirek
21st November 2023, 20:29
I must say I'm really an old school guy - I love the rallies and formats from the past and how longer a rally was I love it the most. Like in the 70ies and 80ies. But socialized with Mc Rae, Burns, Grönholm, Sainz etc. in the late 90ies. So I'm not that old.

If a format change attracts more manufacturers and brings up some new interest to the WRC I can live with that.
But the itinerary should people allow to watch a good amount of stages live. Like it was 2011 or 2013 in Finland. The format was a bit different but we watched a good amount of stages. Because I'm not traveling for four or five stages across Europe.

I really don't get it why they canceled the remote service a few years ago as well. It was a good idea to reduce the liaison distance and keep the cars quite good serviced in the rally area.

It's funny because last week I was playing around with some WRC format changes a little bit different than Halttunen ideas but at least I had shorten the days. But I had randomly the same idea with different formats for different rallies. The fast events like Finland, Sweden, Poland, Latvia or also CER, Croatia or Sardinia could be a short format version. Monte, Acropolis and Portugal used to be marathons in the past as well, so they can use a normal or longer format. The oversee rallys should do also a longer format, because oversee traveling for 2 full days of rallying makes really no sense.

Halttunen ideas are really good. I never thought that I would appreciate a format change but it seems something has to be done in WRC.

One of the the things about rallying, which are hostile to the general public, is the complicated rules, classes etc. Having two different formats of rallies again only complicates already a complicated thing.

seb_sh
21st November 2023, 20:46
One of the the things about rallying, which are hostile to the general public, is the complicated rules, classes etc. Having two different formats of rallies again only complicates already a complicated thing.

If the "long" format just starts a day earlier I don't think it would be that bad. F1 has both regular and sprint weekends. If you start to make it more complicated then it can get weird. Another thing that rally lacks that is more important in my opinion is habit formation. Most F1 races are Sunday at a certain time, qualifying is Saturday at a certain time, etc. If rally could do that with at least the Qualifying and the Sunday PS it would be a big win in my opinion. Add a well broadcast live Saturday stage at a fixed time (almost) every rally and you have one of the building blocks of a viewable product.

WRCStan
21st November 2023, 21:27
I don't know guys this sounds like clutching at straws. Tweaking the itinerary, adding remote services or a qualifying stage isn't changing the format, nor is it going to revolutionise anything.

PLuto
22nd November 2023, 00:16
I think it is not that easy...

Primary, we (or they) should put on table main question - what we really want? More manufacturers? More competitors fighting for title? More cars no matter if connected to manufacturer? More TV audience? And it is important they are watching all stages or should be better to show only few important stages, but in a proper way? More spectators on the events? More races over the world? Lot of questions... ...and are you sure that change of format is the most important thing which will help to manage it?

One of the proposed things are remote services. Do you know why it was cancelled and everything moved to the main services? Because teams wanted to build their castles there, where they can invite their partners and journalists and show how cool they are. If there will be remote services and not so much action in main service, even less people will come there. For the easier format, they have introduced tyre fitting zone. For a long time, it is not tyre fitting zone, but also "light remote service", where also mechanics can work on the cars, only with tools inside the car. What will happen if we will change it to regular service? From organisers point of view, you will need really big place for service area, because everybody will need to have service car next to the bay. Also now it is problem to find proper place for TFZ, for remote service it can be even more difficult. And for the teams? Lot of teams is going to the races with big trucks now, they park them in the service and car stays there for the whole rally. And for transport to TFZ, they are renting some combi car or small van (usually you are taking there only lift, holders and sometimes tyres, when you dont believe Pirelli will bring your tyres). But if there will be normal service, you will need regular small truck to bring there all necessary spare parts. And can you imagine transportation of these small trucks between regular service and remote service?

Qualifying stage - competitors wants to have it as it is more fair for fastest drivers. But current format with first cars on the road was helping to make the championship easier for rivals of Loeb, Ogier or now Rovanperä, because without this "help" lot of other drivers should be more far behind. When this promoter came to ERC, they absolutely dont understand importance and sense of Qualifying stage. Almost whole first year they were ignoring it and only step by step they have found how important it is there (ERC is little bit different story that WRC as there are not only championship regulars, but also fast local heroes or guests). But they never understand importance of choosing starting position, how good thing it can be for promotion and for making the story. And FIA is on same now, so start order selection is cancelled...

I am not sure if changing the format can help. You can see examples like Dakar, Le Mans, Tour de France. I think it can work also with current format. On the other hand, there are series (for example rallycross), where they are always trying to change format, but it is not helping, despite how "cool" it is. Before I was watching cross country skiing a lot, but when they have changed format from interval to mass starts, most of the races started to be boring as almost everything has happened only in last few hundred metres.

And we can continue with another topics. But like I wrote on the beginning of my message, important is to answer the question - what we really want?

Tauri_J
22nd November 2023, 06:03

Qualifying stage is bad idea and I think Saturdays itineary will not be doable in todays safety standards.

Otherwise I like his ideas, especially "sprints"

Tauri_J
22nd November 2023, 06:05
Possible stop sunday cruising is random selection one of the sunday stages to power stage points!

this idea has come up before, makes absolutely zero sense

bomber21
22nd November 2023, 07:09
We want the sport to become more interesting in order to attract more manufactures.

bluuford
22nd November 2023, 07:31
In Kenya, after sitting around the bonfire with some beers I had an idea for gravel rallies. Sunday should have at least 3 stages. We continue with normal starting order until the powerstage regroup... Then your position on powerstage can be decided on 1.otion: Reverse order of Sunday results (the fastest during Sunday gets the best positions); 2. Option: As all the drivers are in regroup anyway, they can create a show event where they choose start positions like in ERC. Then it adds a lot of tactic.. if there is no service, you have to make sure you still have good enough tires for Sunday. You have to be sure that when you start later there is no rain expected etc. That should pretty much end Sunday cruising and make a lot of fun just before powerstage and during powerstage as well.

PLuto
22nd November 2023, 10:17
In Kenya, after sitting around the bonfire with some beers I had an idea for gravel rallies. Sunday should have at least 3 stages. We continue with normal starting order until the powerstage regroup... Then your position on powerstage can be decided on 1.otion: Reverse order of Sunday results (the fastest during Sunday gets the best positions); 2. Option: As all the drivers are in regroup anyway, they can create a show event where they choose start positions like in ERC. Then it adds a lot of tactic.. if there is no service, you have to make sure you still have good enough tires for Sunday. You have to be sure that when you start later there is no rain expected etc. That should pretty much end Sunday cruising and make a lot of fun just before powerstage and during powerstage as well.

ad a) Promoter doesnt want to make different order, he wants to have the latest one winner of the rally. More and more you can see that power stage podium doesnt reflects power stage results, nobody takes care about it. All is focused to podium of whole rally...

ad b) Promoter never understand sense of start order selection. They always ignore it in ERC and for next year they even cancelled it. So its introduction to WRC doesnt have a big chance...

Mirek
22nd November 2023, 17:23
We want the sport to become more interesting in order to attract more manufactures.

You might be disappointed when you find that what attracts the teams may be completely different to what the hardcore fans expect.

Anyway I agree with Pluto. First mus be a clear goal. Everything else only defines the way to achieve it. It makes no sense to taylor a route when you don't know its destination.

EstWRC
22nd November 2023, 17:27
With the ERC calendar confirmation it was also confirmed that Rally Estonia will be back in WRC in 2025

PLuto
22nd November 2023, 17:32
With the ERC calendar confirmation it was also confirmed that Rally Estonia will be back in WRC in 2025

Where did you found this confirmation?

WRCStan
22nd November 2023, 18:27
Where did you found this confirmation?

https://rallyestonia.com/en/spectators/news/uudis/2023/11/22/rally-estonia-will-be-part-of-the-european-rally-championship-calendar-in-2024-and-will-return-to-the-wrc-calendar-in-2025/

typhoon
22nd November 2023, 18:36
As correctly PLuto said, there's a big question to answer before developing the format or other things: what do they want?

If the answer is Manufacturers: talk to the current ones, ask what do they want in the future and ask the interested ones to ask them the same question. Once you have this answer, you can develop the whole project.

If the answer is a true and fancy global championship, ask what do the following wants: Manufacturers, Event Promoters, Global Partners (past, current and interested), TV broadcasters and of course the FIA eventually if that's acceptable for their view of the sport. Once you did this, you can go forward and draw a project.

That said, I am gonna get a sh@@storm, but here we go:

In my opinion, I would go for a championship from 2027 onwards with current Rally 1 cars (just less carbon fiber and using some parts from the road cars) on only synth-fuels. No hybrid and less prototypes cars would keep Rally1 cars extremely spectacular and muscular/noisy on the stages, while lowering a bit the costs of building and running those cars.

At the same time, the FIA should make a real due diligence on the finances of the teams and understand where we can eventually cut on costs and, finally, set up a clear budget cup of, let's say, 60-70 Millions.

Once you have the cars, the Promoter's duty is to work on help current teams finding sponsors (i.e. find some and "introduce" them to the teams) and partners (i.e. proper support to the championship growth), so bringing a sponsorship like DHL with no actual cash, but in exchange just some freight available for the flyaway rallies, similar to the terms of agreement with WTCC promoters.

TV, a VERY big problem.
Furthermore, in order to add more value-for-money investments for the stakeholders, it's time for them to change their "Media Mix" distribution model! Asian broadcasters are completely disappeared, same in the Americas. They're talking about bringing the WRC to Chattanooga, but if they do, who is gonna watch it and where?
For this, I would go for a 2-stage TV rights package (Saturday afternoon and Power Stage) for free-to-air networks, then a "medium" package with the World Feed stages (5-6 per event) and a full one like on TNT or Cosmote with the whole content of Rally TV.
In order the "TV product" to be more catchy: new opening titles (F1 style, it must be a real "heroes anthem"), new graphics, new camera angles and use better the heli shots to be more impressive (it's just following the action, with no shots like: jumping over a mountain and going down to zoom to the start line in a more acrobatic way, etc). The first shots are extremely important to catch viewers... and yeah, sending pre-recorded action with music it's so 00's. Just get over it.
Also, I'm sad to say it, but we need fresh faces (I would keep all the way Colin Clark, extremely entertaining man)!
Finally, the "free" content on Social media: it's incredible that we have a very-bad-produced Shakedown live feed, diluted amongst magazines, drivers, event pages, rather than uniquely on the WRC official page. For this, I would raise the production level to a World Feed, broadcasted uniquely from the WRC official pages (Facebook, YouTube and adding Twitch, which can bring thousands of euros per live to be reinvested in promoting their contents on social media). I would also add the warm-up / daily-wrap up / post-rally LIVE broadcasts, plus the press conferences (with the same backdrop for every event to give more value to the global sponsorships).

Now, calendar and format.
As previously said, I would compact the event to 2.5 days:

FRIDAY: Shakedown-Quali in the morning, afternoon with Opening Ceremony in city centers (with ledwalls and pumping music), then a couple of stages before Prime-Time TV World Feed for a big Superspecial (like Acropolis or Japan in their respective stadiums or Cagliari for Sardinia in front of 40-50k people)

SATURDAY: a loop of stages in the morning, ending with a similar-to-WPS "Super Stage" (potentially giving another naming-rights to a big sponsor like Wolf) with hospitalities, maxiscreens, food courts, merchandise on small arenas to show tons of spectators (I am thinking about Loelle in Sardinia with the kart-cross circuit, in which building all this stuff around). Finally, wrapping-up the day with another Live TV Superspecial.

SUNDAY: keeping it like it is, with rally-ending Wolf Power Stage.

A more compact format would mean less costs for competitive mileage, less accomodation costs for the teams competing AND THUS, the chance to let them "digest" some more events around the globe, with some logistic support (see above about DHL).

There's tons of work to do to achieve this, but this would let the WRC being popular once again and gain some new fans willing to spend into TV-Merchandise-Tickets once the "80's" fans won't be attending anymore.

PLuto
22nd November 2023, 19:19
https://rallyestonia.com/en/spectators/news/uudis/2023/11/22/rally-estonia-will-be-part-of-the-european-rally-championship-calendar-in-2024-and-will-return-to-the-wrc-calendar-in-2025/

I have seen that press release too, but only after my post. We will see what will happen next year...

PLuto
22nd November 2023, 19:23
A more compact format would mean less costs for competitive mileage, less accomodation costs for the teams competing AND THUS, the chance to let them "digest" some more events around the globe, with some logistic support (see above about DHL).

This is not completely true. We can see it in ERC, where they were pushing for 4-day format to cut the costs. But in fact, everything is so hectic, there is very short time between test and scrutineering etc. So it can means teams need to be fully ready (with more people) for longer time. And still we can see that lot of competitors is coming to the area previous weekend for adaptation to the region to be mentally and phisically ready...

TypeR
22nd November 2023, 19:24
I have seen that press release too, but only after my post. We will see what will happen next year...
Eh..?!
It clearly says:

Rally Estonia will be the fourth round of the 2024 ERC season on 5-7 July 2024
Rally Estonia will be back in the WRC calendar in the year 2025

PLuto
22nd November 2023, 19:27
Eh..?!
It clearly says:

We will see what wil happen... ;)

doubled1978
22nd November 2023, 19:28

I actually really like the idea 1. Should prevent at least most of the crews cruising around on Sunday.

TypeR
22nd November 2023, 19:31
We will see what wil happen... ;)
Cool story..
Enlighten us maybe..?

,,Oh, I can't..''

typhoon
22nd November 2023, 19:37
This is not completely true. We can see it in ERC, where they were pushing for 4-day format to cut the costs. But in fact, everything is so hectic, there is very short time between test and scrutineering etc. So it can means teams need to be fully ready (with more people) for longer time. And still we can see that lot of competitors is coming to the area previous weekend for adaptation to the region to be mentally and phisically ready...

I see and I'd agree with that if true, I'm out of ERC events since some years now and I can't see what's going on first-hand. But definitely seeing Sardinia and Acropolis this year, as well as keeping an eye on the rest of the issues, there's so much room for improvement in all the remaining areas I wrote down. But WRC Promoter seems more keen to get the 1M from each promoter and share dividends, rather than improving the situation and actually cash much more money, which would mean a championship in a better shape for everyone.

PLuto
22nd November 2023, 19:52
I see and I'd agree with that if true, I'm out of ERC events since some years now and I can't see what's going on first-hand. But definitely seeing Sardinia and Acropolis this year, as well as keeping an eye on the rest of the issues, there's so much room for improvement in all the remaining areas I wrote down. But WRC Promoter seems more keen to get the 1M from each promoter and share dividends, rather than improving the situation and actually cash much more money, which would mean a championship in a better shape for everyone.

I think that this is the biggest issue. Everybody is concerned only in their own needs. FIA, promoter, manufacturers, teams, competitors, organisers. Everybody is proposing what will suits them the best (or what will bring them more money) but there is not so many of them who wants to see and make anything in gloval improvement of the championship...

deephouse
22nd November 2023, 20:00
1. I would remove one spot from calendar and make sure that all continents are included.
-4x gravel
-4x tarmac
-2x mixed (gravel/tarmac)
-1x snow
-1x full mixed (snow/tarmac/gravel)

2. Maybe introduce qualifying stage on a shakedown basis.

3. Shorten distance between stages (that means stages are run closer to each other, so people could spectate more action).

4. Each event to held super special stage in the base of rally (more people could saw direct action, show, sponsors, key people)

5. Classes:
-WRC (Rally1)
-WRC2 (Rally2)
-WRC Junior (Rally3)
-WRC Masters (open class for all previous rally cars), here I would maybe limit entries if there would be too much crews applied... it would be quite a spectacle if Akio could show up in old Celica or Loeb in his winning Xsara.

6. Events could simultneously run for continental or even national championship. That way you could cover enough entries in the likes of Kenya and finales like Australia (I mean that would be only case if there were not enough entries for each event).

7. Coverage
-If they want to engage new fans they could at least give something to them. Every year there is less and less coverage in all aspects. Some stages could be brought to the tv back for free or some channels. Magazines and highlights. For hardcore fans paying service in likes of behind the scenes, all live coverage, cameras in a service park, maps... (like it is now). Official WRC news could be DirtFish crew. They know how to make really good and engaging content.

8. About cars, well I don't know. I would personaly love more brands and more seats available.. But first try to keep all three in the game and then search for more.

Tauri_J
23rd November 2023, 05:41
Rally Estonia confirmed for 2025. Will run as an ERC event next season.

EstWRC
23rd November 2023, 07:48
About Msport situation

https://dirtfish.com/rally/wrc/what-do-we-know-about-m-sports-2024-driver-plans/

Based on this it seems it’s Fourmaux and Loubet and Munster with some outings

1988senna
23rd November 2023, 14:22
About Msport situation

https://dirtfish.com/rally/wrc/what-do-we-know-about-m-sports-2024-driver-plans/

Based on this it seems it’s Fourmaux and Loubet and Munster with some outings

solberg again no seat

seb_sh
23rd November 2023, 16:42
solberg again no seat

My bet is Yaris rally2 for him

Andre Oliveira
2nd December 2023, 10:14
According DH - Moteurs (de Wilde)

M-Sport with Fourmaux + nordic driver (Lindholm or...) + Munster
Hyundai with Mikkelsen and Sordo sharing 3rd car
Loubet in GR Yaris Rally2

Skoda back to official own program. Toksport "lost" the program.

----

I heard Gryazin in C3 Rally2 with DG too.

Managarium
2nd December 2023, 11:12

----

And what about Lappi?

WRCStan
2nd December 2023, 11:20
How do Toksport lose Skoda? Something fishy about the manufacturers championship, either the 2+2 thing, or 2 or 2, or something else. The only thing suggesting otherwise is Toyota's insistence it won't have works Rally2 team.

Rallyest
2nd December 2023, 11:29

----

I doubt a little about all this, but this sparked to me that,

I think Loubet if he wants to be competitive and show his speed should go back to rally2, like solberg and Greensmith did and show his speed, if he has any, and Yaris would be best for it i think, even tho we havent had a chance to see it competing yet, but i think it will be fast

jcevc
2nd December 2023, 13:21

----

I believe we have different source but same thing about Gryazin - Citroen C3 rally2 in WRC2. But I heard about PH Sport as team driving this operation with Citroen factory backing.

mousti
2nd December 2023, 15:56
Lefebvre probably as a teammate for Loubet in a (AEC/Burton Racing) Yaris and Pajari in a Printsport Yaris. So it will be interesting to see who Skoda will choose for their factory team.. Mikkelsen seems now to close the deal for sure with Hyundai.. Maybe it'll be Oliver if he doesnt get a Rally1 seat. And than you have a big pool of drivers like Ingram, Bulacia, Cais, Greensmith etc..

Verstuurd vanaf mijn 2201123G met Tapatalk

WRCStan
2nd December 2023, 16:03
Why would Citroen (Team France) back Gryazin and abandon Loubet and Lefebvre to a most probably not French run GR Yaris?

Duvel
2nd December 2023, 16:49
Why would Citroen (Team France) back Gryazin and abandon Loubet and Lefebvre to a most probably not French run GR Yaris?

Gryazin and Rossel whit Citroën. Ran by Belgian DG sport

seb_sh
2nd December 2023, 16:54
wow the WRC2 silly season is on fire, it seems Toyota coming might shake things up quite a bit. If those moves happen they will be a surprise to me but after the Rovanpera rumour came true I'll take a wait and see aproach.

So if we go by that, are the 5 Yaris Toyota said will have ready at the start be for: Lefebvre, Loubet, Pajari and the two japanese young drivers?

About the Mikkelsen thing, how does that fit in with Neuville, Tanak full season and Lappi part season? something doesn't make sense to me...

mousti
2nd December 2023, 17:21
About the Mikkelsen thing, how does that fit in with Neuville, Tanak full season and Lappi part season? something doesn't make sense to me...
Mikkelsen will probably only do 6 events with Hyundai Rally1.

becher
2nd December 2023, 17:31
Mikkelsen will probably only do 6 events with Hyundai Rally1.

That would still mean at least a part time 4th Hyundai or Sordo out and Lappi sharing with Mikkelsen. The latter doesn't really sound sensible.

seb_sh
2nd December 2023, 17:41
hmm thinking about it, it could be that Sordo will have a "good bye" rally in Portugal, that leaves 6 + 6 for Mikkelsen and Lappi. Even if Sordo does 2-3 rallies that leaves 5-6 for Mikkelsen and Lappi each. That could be how they plan to maximise road position.

TypeR
2nd December 2023, 18:32
,,Suninen has entered the chat..''

Kras
2nd December 2023, 19:30
Top tier gossip NGL.

I really hope Mikkelsen to Hyundai is true. Also it will be fun if Škoda just obliterates Toyota in rally2

SubaruNorway
2nd December 2023, 22:00
It did sound like something new is going on for Mikkelsen and Eriksen next year, at least from what i heard

EstWRC
3rd December 2023, 05:44
So Suninen ditched to Hyundai rally2 program again or to Msport?

And Mikkelsen Sordo sharing both the 3rd car with Lappi? That doesn’t make sense for me too unless there is 4 cars out on some events

skarderud
3rd December 2023, 11:23
Mikkelsen in Rally1 is gooood!

6 rallies, can he do the others in Škoda i wrc2?

Is he "full" factorydriver, or some kind of freelance?

becher
3rd December 2023, 12:16
So Suninen ditched to Hyundai rally2 program again or to Msport?

And Mikkelsen Sordo sharing both the 3rd car with Lappi? That doesn’t make sense for me too unless there is 4 cars out on some events
Agreed, Mikkelsen and Lappi sharing to get a cleaning advantage doesn't sound to sensible.

But maybe the fourth Hyundai story from earlier in the year is true after all.

Managarium
3rd December 2023, 14:33
https://i.postimg.cc/nr6X662f/mikk.png (https://postimages.org/)

EstWRC
3rd December 2023, 15:39
ok that makes a lot of sense now if Sordo makes only one event but i would call it hardly sharing from Sordos point on view :D

great news, finally he and his loyal fans here got the chance and im really eager to see what he can do then.

Danny0405
3rd December 2023, 18:21
Well, yeah, was thinking about a 2-rally program for Sordo to end his career at*«*home*» (just depending on the driver, I thought he could do Monte or Safari in addition to Portugal).
Because almost 6 months without driving, I’m sure Sordo can be that competitive in Portugal.

But on a general perspective, Portugal makes sense on a performance point of view also as he is on a 3-podium streak there (and 2nd ahead of Lappi last year).

Danny0405
3rd December 2023, 18:36
Well, yeah, was thinking about a 2-rally program for Sordo to end his career at*«*home*» (just depending on the driver, I thought he could do Monte or Safari in addition to Portugal).
Because almost 6 months without driving, I’m sure Sordo can be that competitive in Portugal.

But on a general perspective, Portugal makes sense on a performance point of view also as he is on a 3-podium streak there (and 2nd ahead of Lappi last year).

*I’m not sure… for sure

seb_sh
3rd December 2023, 19:04
Gryazin in C3 in Monte warmup Event:

https://www.ewrc-results.com/entries/85777-rallye-national-hivernal-du-devoluy-2023/

TypeR
3rd December 2023, 19:11

https://www.ewrc-results.com/entries/85777-rallye-national-hivernal-du-devoluy-2023/
Linnamae also with new car, latest Skoda wrc2 instead of i20

seb_sh
3rd December 2023, 19:38
so to summarize a potential entry list based on the rumors:

WRC
Toyota: Evans, Katsuta, Ogier/Rovanpera
Hyundai: Tanak, Neuville, Lappi/Mikkelsen/Sordo
Ford: Fourmaux, Lindholm, some rallies Munster?

WRC2
Citroen: Gryazin, Rossel
Toyota: Pajari, Loubet, Lefebvre, Kogure?, Yamamoto?
Hyundai: Suninen?, others?
Skoda: Linnemae, Solberg?, Greensmith?, Cais?, Bulacia?, others?, Meeke?
Ford: ?

The ones with ? i put there as options but I have no source.

RS
4th December 2023, 06:58

Gryazin became a lot more reliable the last year or two. He maybe lost a bit of his raw speed but not too much.

Pretty sure Cais will be with Skoda as he was testing with Meeke in Portugal last week. If this factory team return is true though they will need a lead driver if Mikkelsen is returning to Rally1.. I hope it’s Solberg, he was the guy who showed the speed potential of the new car most consistently last season.

CeskyOndra
4th December 2023, 07:59
I think that the only option for Skoda to compete with Toyota is to have manufacturer team with Solberg and Greensmith, or Cais.

TypeR
4th December 2023, 09:07
The new Yaris rally2 looks and most likely is a beast!
No wonder Skoda must take the programme to their own hands again :D
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/GAe7Oh7WMAAYn6K?format=jpg&name=medium

wyler
4th December 2023, 09:14
from italian media: fourmeaux confirmed in m-sport.
lindholm + munster rumored as very near

Rallyest
4th December 2023, 09:54
from italian media: fourmeaux confirmed in m-sport.
lindholm + munster rumored as very near

If lindholm is true i dont get it, why throw away a chance at a better performance car at Hyundai and go to much more low budget and less promising team.

Tauri_J
4th December 2023, 10:03
If lindholm is true i dont get it, why throw away a chance at a better performance car at Hyundai and go to much more low budget and less promising team.
Probably Hyundai ditched him