PDA

View Full Version : Did this moment kill NASCAR's image?

arenateam
22nd May 2007, 21:00
Did this moment kill NASCAR's image?

http://raceweekonline.com/video.aspx?itemID=1001213334

XM369
22nd May 2007, 21:24
It doesnt look good to the rest of the motorsports world.

Also what is with all the booing any drivers that you dont like all the time, thats really bad manners.

Jonesi
22nd May 2007, 21:45
Did this moment kill NASCAR's image?
http://raceweekonline.com/video.aspx?itemID=1001213334

In many people's opinion that "moment" is Nascar's image, and always has been.

Nascar (France family & officials) has always sent a mixed message to the teams, & media. They love the profit they get from, and hype the fans extreme loyality to a driver, but are shocked when it gos too far. They talk about "give & take" on the track, but in any Nascar greatest moments they will always show the end of the '79 Daytona 500, drivers crashing each other out then fighting in the infield.
It's a safe bet that every 2007 hilights clip will have the Busch brothers crash from the Nextel All-star race.

call_me_andrew
23rd May 2007, 05:29
It didn't ruin NASCAR's image the countless other times that it's happened...

What does concern me is that whenever clips of a race are shown set to music in a montage during the coverage, they usually just show the crashes.

jslone
23rd May 2007, 07:50
Whats the difference between booing in the US and whitsling in Europe?The fans are showing the true colors for the favorite drivers,some get it more then others.Get over it,bad image I say no.

Sparky1329
23rd May 2007, 18:50

Also what is with all the booing any drivers that you dont like all the time, thats really bad manners.

This is the funniest post I've read in a long time. :laugh:

Lee Roy
23rd May 2007, 18:59

Can't be any worse than the English fans cheering at Silverstone when Michael Schumacher broke his leg in a wreck.

ms0362
23rd May 2007, 22:12
Its happened before. Just the media building more hype. Let's just hope Nascar/France doesn't do their normal knee-jerk reaction and try and make the tracks ban fans from bringing in can drinks/beer. Can you say "attendance problem"

RGM Fan
24th May 2007, 01:19
Its happened before. Just the media building more hype. Let's just hope Nascar/France doesn't do their normal knee-jerk reaction and try and make the tracks ban fans from bringing in can drinks/beer. Can you say "attendance problem"

I'll never forget the first Rockingham race after 9-11. The decided to ban any coolers because of the theory they could be turned into bombs. I brought my duster and filled it with enough suspicious bluges of beer, soda, water and food I could have blown away half a grandstand and no one looked at me twice, all because I didn't have a cooler.

Unless they pat down fans they'll never stop everything coming in

XM369
25th May 2007, 22:21
This is the funniest post I've read in a long time. :laugh:

Thank god you didnt take me serious.

And yes Schumy braking a leg is very funny, couldnt happen to a nicer guy :p

savage86
26th May 2007, 17:32
Its for sure the minority with a crowd of over 200,000 the few fans throwing beer cans dont represent every nascar fan that turns up to the race.

Certainly with british fans cheering when MS crashed, half the british public like him and half hate him. He has never been forgiven by many people for what happend with Damon Hill in 1994.

I respect Dale sr a lot but he pulled off more than a few dirty tricks in his time. Certainly he has become far more of an icon in death then he ever could have in life.

I say good on Jeff for taking all the Boo's and really Nascar needs drivers to not like its all part of the show. Thats what F1 is missing because all the drivers are so boring.

JovialJooles
27th May 2007, 11:06
Of course it doesn't. We all know that those rednecks that threw the cans are a very small minority and don't represent the majority of Earnhardt fans.

As for booing, it's all part of the fun. I don't like it, but as someone else pointed out, it's no different to football fans. at least it shows a passion for the sport!

XM369
30th May 2007, 17:19
The booing is all part of the fun, believe me the Jimmie Fans booed most of teh other drivers Including us brits! everybody boo's jimmy so only right we should boo the rest (especially as they are not as good as jimmy...bring on the abuse now)