PDA

View Full Version : 2023 - Race 5 Miami

F1nKS
2nd May 2023, 04:51
Quick turnaround - Miami Part Deux

1. Will Checo continue to give a fight to Max

2. Can Leclerc put in two good weekend in a row?

3. Will Alonso consistency continue?

4. Is anybody bringing upgrades?

5. Miami Weather - looks dry at moment. Had been raining off and on there in April.

Nitrodaze
2nd May 2023, 10:15
https://s40320.pcdn.co/wp-content/uploads/2022/03/F1-campus-arial2.jpg

The Miami street circuit is one of those tracks that tuck into itself. Like Silverstone, Austria's Redbull ring and Brasil. Like Abu Dhabi, it has the Hard Rock stadium in the middle. With two long straights and 19 corners. This is a combination of engine grunt and cornering efficiency track. High downforce may play a role in success here. This one has Checo and Redbull written all over it.

Bagwan
2nd May 2023, 15:27
According to Fred , the reds will burn up their tires in Miami , so they'll be down the order .
And , I don't think Max wants to be behind Checo here , so it's time that the relationship goes seriously downhill .

It looks like two green racing suits on the podium on Sunday to me .

Nitrodaze
3rd May 2023, 16:15
According to Fred , the reds will burn up their tires in Miami , so they'll be down the order .
And , I don't think Max wants to be behind Checo here , so it's time that the relationship goes seriously downhill .

It looks like two green racing suits on the podium on Sunday to me .

Yep, a bang of heads between Verstappen and Perez is coming soon. Those long straights may suit Verstappen more than Checo, it may also come down to tyre management on that virgin tarmac yet to be rubbered in. The greens do not seem to do well on street tracks but l would not write off Alonso in this sort of uncertain situations.

Bagwan
3rd May 2023, 22:00
Yep, a bang of heads between Verstappen and Perez is coming soon. Those long straights may suit Verstappen more than Checo, it may also come down to tyre management on that virgin tarmac yet to be rubbered in. The greens do not seem to do well on street tracks but l would not write off Alonso in this sort of uncertain situations.

The green ones will do better with DRS on street tracks .

F1nKS
5th May 2023, 03:46
Chances of thunderstorms has increased. These will be sea-breeze created

Saturday: 20%
Sunday: 30%-40%

Tazio
6th May 2023, 20:30
Boss got spanked!

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

Tazio
6th May 2023, 20:52
Brilliant lap by Fred.
Brilliant lap by Fred!

Tazio
6th May 2023, 20:53
Checo baby!

F1nKS
6th May 2023, 21:35
Checo baby!

It funny the f1 commentators are trying to make Sergeant to be carrying the U.S. water - when Checo is the most popular driver in the U.S.

F1nKS
6th May 2023, 21:50
Chances of thunderstorms has increased. These will be sea-breeze created

Saturday: 20%
Sunday: 30%-40%

Sunday rain chances have declined slightly to 30%. It looks to be a hit-n-miss scenario. Maybe we will get a Sochi type event.

Zico
6th May 2023, 22:06
Congrats on pole Sergio. The stars seem to be aligning for you with Charles scuppering Max's pole bid but heyho.. maximise everything that goes your way when you can. I really want to see Max have to fight you for it or we will be in for a pretty boring season.

Not really a fan of this race but I'll be watching this one for sure... 😀

Nitrodaze
7th May 2023, 12:46
Congrats on pole Sergio. The stars seem to be aligning for you with Charles scuppering Max's pole bid but heyho.. maximise everything that goes your way when you can. I really want to see Max have to fight you for it or we will be in for a pretty boring season.

Not really a fan of this race but I'll be watching this one for sure... ��

Indeed, the man of the hour, Sergio Perez! But the race is yet to be won.

How Mercedes has looked so embarrassing at qualifying.

Seeing how the grid has shaped up for the race, my money is on Alonso to win the race.

airshifter
7th May 2023, 13:55
With qually all out of sorts it's going to be interesting tomorrow. Both Max and Lewis starting from lesser places, and plenty of quick cars ahead that will want to slow them down on their way forward. It should be easier for Lance to move forward into the points, but they won't make it easy for him either.

Alonso has nothing to lose if he is aggressive and he's smart enough to know that Sergio has a lot to lose if he defends too hard. Wiley old Fred might just be able to push the issue hard at the start of the race hoping Sergio plays it safe in the interest of the long game.

There is still a chance of some rain moving through. If it's wet or mixed conditions, I'd have to say Alonso for the win.

Crazy to see the grid like this. Both Alpines placed well, yet the Haas driven by KMag in front of them.

ETA: It poured rain last night at the track. I'm going to change my above thoughts to Alonso for the win, Max climbing up the ladder quicker than expected, and expect a full safety car within the first 20 laps. I think Max and Fred are the two current rain masters, and a greasy track will favor them over most others IMHO. I don't think Sergio lacks much in this area, but he will play the long game and take less risk.

Rubbing my crystal ball once more, I see Gasly impacting a wall and causing a red flag. :laugh:

Tazio
7th May 2023, 14:42
:stareup: Does your crystal ball say Russell is going to punt Gas' into the wall?

airshifter
7th May 2023, 16:10
:stareup: Does your crystal ball say Russell is going to punt Gas' into the wall?

It could happen. When George sees Max behind him the chances of a high-speed bird fly by are very high.

Tazio
7th May 2023, 16:56
https://photos.app.goo.gl/zfpCXWY1RybEFCa86
:laugh:
Sorrrrrrrrrrrrrrrry

Bagwan
7th May 2023, 17:01
I expect red flags and broken cars .

Firstgear
7th May 2023, 17:13
My crystal ball shows a slow pit stop for Checo....just slow enough to put Max ahead of him.

Firstgear
7th May 2023, 17:17
Maybe this should be called the Spanish Grand Prix, as all the Spanish speakers are right up front.

Tazio
7th May 2023, 17:48
Maybe this should be called the Spanish Grand Prix, as all the Spanish speakers are right up front.The Cuban Grand Prix is probably more appropriate.....:bandit:

F1nKS
7th May 2023, 19:04
Rain overnight changed the weather dynamics. Chances of rain now are very slight (20%).

Also with the rain overnight, track conditions have changed and might mean more safety cars.

Miami going all out on the pre-race activities.

Nitrodaze
7th May 2023, 20:49
Hamilton from 13th to sixth. What a drive!

Used to be Starter
7th May 2023, 21:10
Hamilton from 13th to sixth. What a drive!

Agreed. Maybe the best drive of the day given the car.

Tazio
7th May 2023, 21:17
Brilliant races by:
'stappen
Boss
Russ'
And of course "The Wiley old Fox"

Nitrodaze
7th May 2023, 21:21
Brilliant races by:
'stappen
Boss
Russ'

Alonso on the podium as expected by me. It turned out to be a good weekend for Mercedes; Russell 4th, Hamilton 6th. What is going on with Ferrari?

airshifter
8th May 2023, 01:01
Not at all the race I was expecting to see, but not terrible either. I can't see myself really warming up to the Miami track much, as DRS passes alone make it boring. There was at least some dicing and good fighting back this year, so it could have been worse, but the track doesn't lend itself to multiple corner fighting like some.

Ole' Fred that nothing for the RB cars. Perez pulled a gap before Alonso could even say "six tenths". I was almost wondering if he would try after some tire preservation, but it was not to be.

Even though the track was green, it didn't seem as slick as expected. Even more surprising for me was that it seemed starting on the hard was the way to go. It seems that the Ferrari and the Merc cars were almost polar opposites on tires.... the Ferrari could fire them up quick but faded, the Merc needed time to fire them up but they lasted fairly well after. With differing tire strategies and DRS trains through the race, it at least kept it interesting. And some of the "back of the pack" cars such as Williams, Hass, and AT were hard to get a clean pass on, even by cars in the top 3 or 4 teams. Some good clean defending and fighting back by some of the drivers in lesser cars as well. Both Haas drivers, Albon, and both Alpine drivers made it obvious that on the right track most cars won't just do a fly by on the first DRS zone.

Overall it seemed Merc got it right better than the Reds today, not that it was easy. But Lewis got by Charles and George got by Carlos. Overall I thought the best drives were from the lesser cars that managed to keep it in the top 10. Lance seemed to struggle coming through the field today, but others did as well with the track and DRS trains. Overall I'd be hard pressed to pick either a driver or donkey of the day. Max had crazy pace, but it did seem the tire choice played to that and on most days he is faster than Checo. I'd say the entire top 10 held their own considering the hardware they are in, but no stand out drives really. I'd say maybe Sargeant for donkey but I didn't see what caused that early wing damage, so I'm not sure it was his fault. He did do the reamaning 54 laps on the hard tires though, so those things were really hanging in there today.

Nitrodaze
8th May 2023, 08:01
Brilliant races by:
'stappen
Boss
Russ'

Max Verstappen was awesome in the race. That double overtake was just like Hamilton did a few years ago. To come from way back to win the race shows Perez have his work cut to be able to defeat him for the title. That said, Verstappen obviously had the more favourable tyre strategy starting on the hards which did wonders for Hamilton as well.

The Miami track is great, they manage to get it right from the outset.