View Full Version : Cutty Sark fire

Flat.tyres
21st May 2007, 12:32
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/london/6675381.stm

looks like it might be arson. very sad.

tannat
21st May 2007, 13:07
My drink of choice through college...

Pity if it is arson. The beverage industry can be quite harsh when times are down.

Flat.tyres
21st May 2007, 14:35
My drink of choice through college...

Pity if it is arson. The beverage industry can be quite harsh when times are down.

Which reminds me of a white horse that walked into a bar.

"weve got a drink named after you" said the barman.

"wot, fred?" said the horse.

oh dear ;)

anyway, it is a shame whether its arson or not but if it is, what a terrible crime to comit to a piece of history. some people will say its not as bad a murder and rape but its such a stupid thing that has destroyed something irreplacable.

e2mtt
21st May 2007, 14:40
that is so sad. There sure is something pretty neat about those old tall ships.

(Yuo, I knew what the Cutty Sark was, as soon as I saw the headline)

futuretiger9
21st May 2007, 21:34
I remember visiting the Cutty Sark on trips to London when I was a kid. Let's hope that they can rebuild the ship. Luckily, many parts of it were elsewhere in storage as part of the refurbishment, when the fire occurred.

Jaws
21st May 2007, 23:32
For some reason my old man had a facination with the Cutty Sark, he used to have books on it and he made a model replica. He will be devastated. I just hope there are sufficient funds to restore the ship

jim mcglinchey
22nd May 2007, 09:17
It wasn't some kind of publicity stunt for the launch of Pirates of the Caribean 3 that went wrong, do you think?

tintin
22nd May 2007, 23:28
anyway, it is a shame whether its arson or not but if it is, what a terrible crime to comit to a piece of history. some people will say its not as bad a murder and rape but its such a stupid thing that has destroyed something irreplacable.

Reason to reintroduce he death penalty.

GRAVETT
23rd May 2007, 02:34
quite amusing to hear that the work they were doing on the ship was about to cease because of lack of funds and now it burns but 90% of the ship is in storage and only literally the hull was dmaged. it an be rebuilt and the government will fund it. hmmmmmmmmm strange