PDA

View Full Version : Travel to Bathurst

ianpriceuk
20th May 2007, 17:56
Hi everyone

I'm thinking of heading to Bathurst next year to watch the V8s!!

Does anyone know of any companies that arrange packages from the UK? Or does anyone have any tips on the best way to arrange it all myself - from past experience or anything?

Cheers in advance

Ian

Daniel
21st May 2007, 00:12
Ian :)

I'll be honest and say I've never been to Bathurst but it should merely be a matter of getting to Sydney and hiring a car :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bathurst%2C_New_South_Wales

Just out of curiosity where do you live "near to chester"? just curious as I live and work in Wales and near Chester :)

Rollo
21st May 2007, 00:57
Ian :)

I'll be honest and say I've never been to Bathurst but it should merely be a matter of getting to Sydney and hiring a car :)

That's about the size of it. If you really insist on staying in a hotel up there, it's best to book about 3 months in advance because, guaranteed everything will be full.
Your best option is to hire a car by virtue of the fact that although Bathurst is serviced by a train, being relatively rural once you leave the train station then you're pretty well much on your own.

It's damn easy to get to by road, bascially you head down the M4 until the end and keep going along the Gt Western Highway until you get there which is about 3 hours away.

The road rules in Australia are almost identical to the UK save for the fact that everything in is metric but since your speedo will already be in metric then you don't do any conversions at all.

raybak
21st May 2007, 11:25
Well you made a good start by asking on these forums. There are plenty of Aussies on here, and plenty who live within a couple of hours drive of Bathurst.

The best option rent a car and maybe try and book into a B&B, but book at least 6 months before the event. We have one that we use every year for the NSW State Rally and it sleeps 20 and has it's own test track only 5 mins drive from the mount.

Let me know if you are coming over and we can catch up.

Ray