PDA

View Full Version : British & Irish Rally calendars 2023

Pages : [1] 2 3

AndyRAC
24th October 2022, 08:54
https://www.britishrallychampionship.co.uk/news/british-rally-championship-revamps-calendar-for-2023/

In comes the Malcolm Wilson, Ypres & Ulster. Out are Clacton, Nicky Grist & the Grampian stages.

From a spectator view, the Malcolm Wilson can be a pain, especially if Greystoke is non spectator, as the Whinlatter stages are run early to suit the Forestry.

pettersolberg29
24th October 2022, 10:50
Still can't believe the closest event to London is not even in the UK... surely Clacton or a totally new rally needs to be in there. Seems a shame. Ulster is a cool event though.

ouvreur
24th October 2022, 12:02
Still can't believe the closest event to London is not even in the UK... surely Clacton or a totally new rally needs to be in there. Seems a shame. Ulster is a cool event though.

Until someone works out a way to make rallying relevant to people living in London, or indeed any other major city, it's not really worth worrying about...

HKSjbg
24th October 2022, 12:12
Oooo I’m excited by this! I did suspect the Malcolm Wilson was possibly going to join the BRC as it came up on the 2023 calendar on ewrc-results along with the Jim Clark, Ceredigion, Trackrod, Cambrian. It’s still down as a 1-dayer but it was mentioned that it will be the longest gravel rally of the season. Perhaps the BRC will do second runs through Grizedale? Maybe even Grizedale East we now know it’s back in use as a rally stage?

I’m still baffled that a rally in Belgium (albeit an extremely good one) is even considered for inclusion in the British Rally Championship.

AndyRAC
24th October 2022, 12:22
Until someone works out a way to make rallying relevant to people living in London, or indeed any other major city, it's not really worth worrying about...

I'm afraid this is correct. The sport has disappeared and isn't relevant to those who have the money to fund the sport. And it's not a sudden thing; it's been the best part of 20 years of disappearing down a hole.

Sal yet again
24th October 2022, 12:46
So 2 rounds co-existing with the BTRDA (Wilson/Trackrod) and an Irish tarmac event to try and draw a few more Irish crews back, interesting. Ypres when they announced the WRC wouldnt be going back was a cert as guess they arent interested in being back in the ERC anytime soon. Clacton being dropped is the one I didnt forsee with its catchment area, must have not gone well this year on one side or both for it to drop so soon.

HKSjbg
24th October 2022, 16:18
Clacton being dropped is the one I didnt forsee with its catchment area, must have not gone well this year on one side or both for it to drop so soon.

It looks like they've made an effort to get away from 40-45 minute rallies and I guess Corbeau doesn't really fit into that. I don't see how it could be opened up to much more stage mileage. Nothing wrong with the rally or it's organisation but I can only ever see it being able to run with a 'clubman' length itinerary.

J4MIE
24th October 2022, 17:20
I did Clacton the first two times it ran, plus a few other new closed road events. By the time I get to the third loop of stages I just find it fairly boring, but Clacton needs it to keep the mileage up, and they’ve pretty much exhausted the roads they can choose to use in the small area the event covers, I guess they could extend it further out but then has a high risk of losing the vital local support.

Plus my car got stolen the night before 2nd attempt. Not overly keen to go back.

the sniper
25th October 2022, 18:27
I’m still baffled that a rally in Belgium (albeit an extremely good one) is even considered for inclusion in the British Rally Championship.

It's an incomprehensible admission, or even advertisement, of failure. The UK governing body can't even bring itself to form a UK championship. What are they actually trying to achieve?

HKSjbg
25th October 2022, 21:50
I hope it’s just a stop gap until something more appropriate comes along in late spring/early summer but as it last ran in the BRC for 3 seasons… probably not.

That being said it’s not far off being what I’d pick for an ideal calendar; I’d swap the Jim Clark for Ypres’s date; swap Ypres for the Manx in May (would probably need help from IoM tourist board to make that happen); swap MW and the Cambrian; combine the Cambrian with Rally North Wales in the last weekend of March for the best stages Wales has to offer all in one rally; and maybe have a bigger spread between Ulster, Ceredigion and Yorkshire.

The eleven week gap between rounds 1 and 2 would be sorted and they’d pretty much be going to all the best rally stages in the British Isles, save for a never-gonna-happen trip to the Tay Forest Park stages near Perth. The Lake District in autumn would also give the season finale a very RAC feel to it.

AndyRAC
26th October 2022, 10:19
It's an incomprehensible admission, or even advertisement, of failure. The UK governing body can't even bring itself to form a UK championship. What are they actually trying to achieve?

What actual involvement does the MSUK have with the running of the BRC? One imagines it's very little......It's left to individual events....

With no event in the all important south east region, a savvy governing body would be looking to introduce an event that ticks off all the boxes for all 'stake holders'. But they'll leave it up to others to do this.....

AndyRAC
26th October 2022, 10:25
I hope it’s just a stop gap until something more appropriate comes along in late spring/early summer but as it last ran in the BRC for 3 seasons… probably not.

.....combine the Cambrian with Rally North Wales in the last weekend of March for the best stages Wales has to offer all in one rally; and maybe have a bigger spread between Ulster, Ceredigion and Yorkshire.

That is something that makes sense, so is unlikely to happen. However, Rally North Wales (formerly the Bulldog/Audi Sport) used to be run in October, about 2 weeks before the Cambrian - and personally it seems better in the autumn.

Sal yet again
26th October 2022, 12:41
What actual involvement does the MSUK have with the running of the BRC? One imagines it's very little......It's left to individual events....

With no event in the all important south east region, a savvy governing body would be looking to introduce an event that ticks off all the boxes for all 'stake holders'. But they'll leave it up to others to do this.....

Thats the joy of contracting out, when things go well you can bask in the glory however when its the opposite direction of travel blame the promoter. The fact that the "promoter" then has to make money to pay salaries (inflated or not) means that the fees charged to the events and the crews goes up. Judging by the way the current BRC operation works they just tend to report social media content by some competitors and certainly havent engaged with traditional media at all so not sure where the money is going..

prpr
27th October 2022, 07:07
As far as I'm aware, the organisation/promotion of the BRC was brought 'in-house' by MUSK/IMS a few years ago, following overwhelming recommendations by competitors to do so. (Wasn't there a survey during 2015, the year it didn't run?)

AndyRAC
27th October 2022, 08:54
Interesting - yet it works elsewhere - for example ToCA for the BTCC, SRO for British GT, etc

Can't help but think it's another example of rallying being out of step with the rest of motorsport.....

Sal yet again
27th October 2022, 09:06
As far as I'm aware, the organisation/promotion of the BRC was brought 'in-house' by MUSK/IMS a few years ago, following overwhelming recommendations by competitors to do so. (Wasn't there a survey during 2015, the year it didn't run?)

Looks like I missed that! Really makes it seem worse on the surface then in that case.

the sniper
30th October 2022, 17:11
I'm not sure why they're seemingly so keen to have 7 rounds, other than MSUK presumably getting seven lots of fees from events? It'd seem at least one too many, particularly when they've thrown in two non-mainland rounds..

I wasn't around for the glory years, but I don't think I'll ever be convinced that anything other than a 5 or 6 round, Yorkshire, Welsh, Scottish, Northern Ireland and Manx event calendar is the optimum model. The question is only whether you can manage to organise 5 150 to 200km events or have to make do with existing events stepping up a little, as is pretty much currently done.

AndyRAC
30th October 2022, 18:22
I suspect in an ideal world, they'd like 150-200km events; but can't afford to run events of that length. Thinking back to when the BRC was last in a golden era, the F2 years, these were the events:

March; Vauxhall Rally of Wales - Mid/North Wales. No longer runs
April; Pirelli International Rally - Kielder Forest. Now run as the Kielder Forest Rally, BTRDA, but outside the BRC. 1 day/ 45 miles.
June; RSAC Scottish Rally - Southern Scottish stages. No longer a BRC event, still counts as a SRC round. 1 day/ 45 miles.
July; Seat Jim Clark Rally - Duns. BRC, and SRC.
July; Stena Line Ulster Rally - Antrim. Returns to the BRC next year.
Sept; Manx International Rally - Isle of Man. Not run since 2017.

The Trackrod was in the BRC from 2002, and has been in, then out, and returned as a BRC round.

I think 6-7 properly promoted events is the optimum number you'd want to see. And I don't think we should have a round in Europe, despite it being a great event.

HKSjbg
30th October 2022, 19:09
I wonder whether it’s more feasible for the BRC event to be two 70km events run on the same weekend i.e. a Scottish ch’ship event + plus a BTRDA event or Welsh + BHRC etc. to get 140ish km. Rather than a situation like the Cambrian 2020 when the extra BRC stages had to be cancelled due to not enough entries making it viable?

the sniper
30th October 2022, 23:52
I think 6-7 properly promoted events is the optimum number you'd want to see. And I don't think we should have a round in Europe, despite it being a great event.

I'd like seven rounds, I just think it's too costly for competitors. It exacerbates the issue of entries falling off as the season progresses. The Cambrian almost might as well have not been in the BRC.

AndyRAC
31st October 2022, 09:06
That is something the sport will never solve; when the championship is decided/ or can't be won, many drivers won't enter the remaining rounds. Many years ago I thought we'd eventually see entries for the whole season; as you see in the WRC, or top line racing series; like the BTCC for example.

As we've said countless times, most UK competitors only want to do a one day 45 mile event. There aren't many who want to do more than that......

HKSjbg
3rd November 2022, 23:15
http://www.rallynorthwales.co.uk/

Rally North Wales moves to Welshpool for next year. I wonder if that means a move for the stages too, it’d be s shame to lose Dyfi but perhaps a route similar to the 2019 Plains would be used… (Dyfnant, Aberhirnant, Llangower)

Sal yet again
4th November 2022, 08:09
https://www.riponmotorsportclub.co.uk/events-1/hambleton-stages-rally-2023

Looks like a date has been set for the closed road event in my neck of the woods.

AndyRAC
4th November 2022, 08:50

Rally North Wales moves to Welshpool for next year. I wonder if that means a move for the stages too, it’d be s shame to lose Dyfi but perhaps a route similar to the 2019 Plains would be used… (Dyfnant, Aberhirnant, Llangower)

Remember this is the old Bulldog (previously run in October); and they used to be a month apart - and would use similar stages. I can recall going to Dyfi in the morning, and then onto Dyfnant in the afternoon. I did wonder whether they could use Sweetlamb/ Hafren, but the Severn Valley now runs mid April, and uses those stages.

AndyRAC
4th November 2022, 08:53

Looks like a date has been set for the closed road event in my neck of the woods.

Good news, that's an event to look forward to.

hutchie
4th November 2022, 15:37

Great news will be keeping an eye on this to hopefully compete. Based off postcode will presumably be based out of Thirsk Auction mart.

the sniper
4th November 2022, 21:20

Remember this is the old Bulldog (previously run in October); and they used to be a month apart - and would use similar stages. I can recall going to Dyfi in the morning, and then onto Dyfnant in the afternoon. I did wonder whether they could use Sweetlamb/ Hafren, but the Severn Valley now runs mid April, and uses those stages.

They could just be replicate their 80s Audi Sport Rally years and early 90s, when Dyfnant and Dyfi were both at its core. In those days they had to start at and get back to Telford at the end... Dyfnant could be used to bridge the gap somewhat to Welshpool.

Fast Eddie WRC
5th November 2022, 09:03
2023 Protyre BTRDA Asphalt Rally Championship in association with Motorsport News *
26 February….The Reed Group East Riding Stages Rally
12/13 May….Manx National Rally**
26/27 May….Beatson’s Building Supplies Jim Clark Rally
23/24 June….Dunoon presents Argyll Rally
22 July….Down Rally
5/6 August….Nigel Ferguson Fabricators Tour of Epynt
22 October….Ford Parts Cheviot Stages Rally

https://asphaltrallying.com/2022/11/04/exciting-new-look-calendar-of-events-announced-for-the-2023-protyre-btrda-asphalt-rally-championship/?amp=1

HKSjbg
5th November 2022, 09:24
Epynt moving to August… I didn’t see that coming. I wonder if Mewla will run at the end of the same month or if they move it to another time of year.

East Riding should be a good season opener, I quite liked the look of it from video footage this year.

HKSjbg
5th November 2022, 09:32
They could just be replicate their 80s Audi Sport Rally years and early 90s, when Dyfnant and Dyfi were both at its core. In those days they had to start at and get back to Telford at the end... Dyfnant could be used to bridge the gap somewhat to Welshpool.

Perhaps it could be a loop of Dyfnant-Dyfi-Aberhirnant. Perhaps with one of those only running once to prevent them all having to be about a dozen km long - too short IMO to really appreciate Dyfi and Dyfnant in their full glory!

Sal yet again
5th November 2022, 10:01
Great news will be keeping an eye on this to hopefully compete. Based off postcode will presumably be based out of Thirsk Auction mart.

Looks like the logical base as they already use it for the Riponian. Interesting time of year to run so need to start tapping up my contacts for more info!

J4MIE
5th November 2022, 16:31
Hambleton date has been showing for a long time, as far as I know there are still concerns about the new council etc which may mean the 6 month deadline for the MRO etc might be impossible.
Hoping it’ll run but wish it was before that weekend as may have to miss it for the Safari.
Is also same weekend as Argyll & Ypres.

HKSjbg
13th November 2022, 18:26
2023 Fuchs Lubricants RACRMC Historic Rally Championship

1. 12 February Riponian Stages Rally
2. 25 March Get Jerky Rally North Wales
3. 20 May Plains Rally
4. 5-6 August Tour of Epynt
5. 9 September Phil Price Memorial Woodpecker Rally
6. 22-23 September Trackrod Historic Cup
7. 20-21 October Carlisle Stages

https://mailchi.mp/5e2c887220ed/fuchs-lubricants-racrmc-historic-rally-championship-reveals-a-new-look-for-2023?e=%5BUNIQID%5D

Tarmac returns with Epynt and Carlisle stages become a 2-dayer

HKSjbg
13th November 2022, 18:33
BTRDA, Scottish and Irish Tarmac unconfirmed but they’re up on ewrc already:

https://www.ewrc-results.com/season/2023/137-btrda-gold-star/

https://www.ewrc-results.com/season/2023/145-scotland/

https://www.ewrc-results.com/season/2023/31-ireland-tarmac/

The Scottish Rally is conspicuous by its absence but I’m assuming it will be confirmed later. Same goes for Circuit of Ireland, Cork 20 and Ulster from the ITRC.

Also the Border Counties is running a week earlier but still (possibly) isn’t part of the Scottish championship.

AndyRAC
13th November 2022, 19:20
I must have missed the news, but Tour of Epynt using the date that the Harry Flatters used to have. Is that another event lost?

And it seems like the Red Kite Stages next year won't run; so no events in the South Wales forests.......not good at all.

Fast Eddie WRC
16th November 2022, 08:41
BTRDA 2023 confirmed...

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FhWriFAXEAANR1I?format=jpg&name=large

Fast Eddie WRC
1st December 2022, 17:29
I see a new 'Central European Rally' has arrived in the 2023 WRC calendar and by all accounts it was created because Germany couldnt fimance a WRC round on its own.

It just shows how tough the funding situation can be for rallying now and that the UK is not alone.

the sniper
1st December 2022, 18:22
If only we could split Rally GB between three countries... ;)

J4MIE
1st December 2022, 18:54
Scottish championship calendar announced:

http://www.scottishrallychampionship.co.uk/2022/11/27/2023-dates-confirmed-as-knc-groundworks-extend-title-sponsorship/

HKSjbg
1st December 2022, 19:25

Only problem with that; Wales and Scotland don’t share a border ;)

PLuto
1st December 2022, 19:36
I see a new 'Central European Rally' has arrived in the 2023 WRC calendar and by all accounts it was created because Germany couldnt fimance a WRC round on its own.

It just shows how tough the funding situation can be for rallying now and that the UK is not alone.

Money is not the biggest issue (absence of Deutschland in calendar and including this new project)...

AndyRAC
1st December 2022, 20:27

Scotland, England & People's Republic of Yorkshire........Getting forestry access might be a problem.....

Fast Eddie WRC
1st December 2022, 21:06
Money is not the biggest issue (absence of Deutschland in calendar and including this new project)...

From Dirtfish...

'Rally Germany didn’t have the capital behind it to return to the WRC on its own...

“During the long history of Rally Deutschland which started in 2002, ADAC was always operating with partners,” explained ADAC sports president, Dr Gerd Ennser.

“During that time it was mainly big sponsors or ADAC regional clubs. Then after the COVID break in 2020 and 2021 we started again to look for partners and it turned out that things changed, sometimes it was really difficult to get big sponsors.

As you know in Germany there is no financial support from government. We talked to ADAC regional clubs which supported us before and we learned it would be a bit difficult.'

HKSjbg
1st December 2022, 22:19
Scotland, England & People's Republic of Yorkshire........Getting forestry access might be a problem.....

Nah, combine the Riponian, Trackrod (remote tyre service in Pickering), the Malcolm Wilson and the Scottish with the service park in Penrith and a stage at Stang on the way over from Yorkshire to the overnight halt and you’ve got yourself a Rally GB from 3-4 existing clubman events combined :D

the sniper
1st December 2022, 22:36
Nah, combine the Riponian, Trackrod (remote tyre service in Pickering), the Malcolm Wilson and the Scottish with the service park in Penrith and a stage at Stang on the way over from Yorkshire to the overnight halt and you’ve got yourself a Rally GB from 3-4 existing clubman events combined :D

I don't think Stang is usable anymore, but definitely doable with Hamsterley! ;)

HKSjbg
2nd December 2022, 01:08
I know this is all hypothetical but isn’t Hamsterley just as unlikely as Stang? Tour of Hamsterley last ran 7 years ago and it was only another 5 since it last used a stage at Stang

PLuto
2nd December 2022, 02:07
From Dirtfish...

'Rally Germany didn’t have the capital behind it to return to the WRC on its own...

“During the long history of Rally Deutschland which started in 2002, ADAC was always operating with partners,” explained ADAC sports president, Dr Gerd Ennser.

“During that time it was mainly big sponsors or ADAC regional clubs. Then after the COVID break in 2020 and 2021 we started again to look for partners and it turned out that things changed, sometimes it was really difficult to get big sponsors.

As you know in Germany there is no financial support from government. We talked to ADAC regional clubs which supported us before and we learned it would be a bit difficult.'

I have read that article. And believe me, reality is "little bit" different.

AndyRAC
2nd December 2022, 07:54
I know this is all hypothetical but isn’t Hamsterley just as unlikely as Stang? Tour of Hamsterley last ran 7 years ago and it was only another 5 since it last used a stage at Stang

I know the ford is no longer usable; it's also a massive MTB forest now; former DH World Champion Danny Hart is from around there.....

I think it's the old 'use them or lose them'.

Fast Eddie WRC
2nd December 2022, 16:06
I have read that article. And believe me, reality is "little bit" different.

For instance ?

PLuto
2nd December 2022, 20:46
For instance ?

Most of the things in the article is bullshit. Only correct thing is maybe they have meet last year in Bahrain during Grand Prix...

Fast Eddie WRC
3rd December 2022, 17:12
Most of the things in the article is bullshit. Only correct thing is maybe they have meet last year in Bahrain during Grand Prix...

Yeah I get that's your opinion of the article, but you have to state the real reasons if it's not finance. Just in general will do, you dont have to name your sources.

HKSjbg
5th December 2022, 16:23
I think it's the old 'use them or lose them'.

I think the organisers of the recent Grizedale stages will tell you that’s not necessarily the case! Grizedale East was in action for the first time since the 1995 RAC Rally :D

HKSjbg
13th December 2022, 11:46
The 2023 Welsh championship has been confirmed:

https://wnrc.wamc.org.uk/

2023 Motorsport UK Pirelli Ravenol Welsh Rally Championship
25 Mar - Rally North Wales
15 Apr - Rallynuts Stages Rally
20 May - Plains Rally
8 Jul - Nicky Grist Stages
9 Sep - Woodpecker Stages
14 Oct - Wyedean Rally
28 Oct - Cambrian Rally

They’ve dressed up the absence of the Red Kite Stages as “… and only one event taking place over the months of June, July and August, providing plenty of time for mid-season car refurbishments in the summer break.” which is understandable as it’s out of their control. But looking back on this thread it seems there’s a bit of a theme developing with a lack of early summer rallies left in this country. Kielder, Argyll and NG seems all there is between June and early July which leaves a big gap for a few championships

AndyRAC
13th December 2022, 15:19
The Nicky Grist/Quinton, Woodpecker & Cambrian (though that did move to mid February for a few years) are the only events that are on a similar date as 15-20 years ago. All the rest have been moved;

25 Mar - Rally North Wales - Mid/late October.
15 Apr - Rallynuts Stages Rally - Late May/early June.
20 May - Plains Rally - Mid/late September.
14 Oct - Wyedean Rally - Early February.
28 Oct - Cambrian Rally

And I recall the Red Kite being early/ mid January when run in the Epynt forests. Then in April when in Brechfa & Trawscoed in 2010.

Sal yet again
13th December 2022, 20:18
With rising summer temperatures and associated risk of fire if a turbo car goes off think a summer break is perhaps not a bad thing. Dont like getting bitten to death by midges and dust in the camera anyway!

ouvreur
14th December 2022, 06:23
I reckon it's more about trying to avoid the complaints that inevitably come when competitors get stuck in the dust cloud of the car in front... though if they just allowed 2 minute gaps like the rest of the civilised world does, it wouldn't be a problem anyway :laugh:

J4MIE
14th December 2022, 09:43
I reckon it's more about trying to avoid the complaints that inevitably come when competitors get stuck in the dust cloud of the car in front... though if they just allowed 2 minute gaps like the rest of the civilised world does, it wouldn't be a problem anyway :laugh:

Part of the road traffic act in the UK only allows for a max 180 minute convoy I believe from first car. Plus would mean a lot more regrouping waiting for cars ahead to clear stages, and a much longer day for marshals.

ouvreur
15th December 2022, 06:17
Part of the road traffic act in the UK only allows for a max 180 minute convoy I believe from first car. Plus would mean a lot more regrouping waiting for cars ahead to clear stages, and a much longer day for marshals.

You're partly correct... Schedule 3 of the UK Motor Vehicles (Competitions and Trials) Regulations 1969 specifies standard conditions, one of which is a maximum scheduled interval between the first and last car of 3 hours on daylight events, 2 hours at night.

MSUK have the ability to increase that 'where necessary or expedient', but it can also be side-stepped by running categories within the same event on different permits (like WRGB having a 'National' event tagged on the back).

They manage it everywhere else in the world. I don't understand people's aversion to the idea of giving competitors a reasonable gap in dusty conditions on the island of Great Britain.

AndyRAC
15th December 2022, 07:26
They manage it everywhere else in the world. I don't understand people's aversion to the idea of giving competitors a reasonable gap in dusty conditions on the island of Great Britain.

They manage lots of things in the sport better everywhere else in the world; we're miles behind in almost every regard.

Sal yet again
23rd December 2022, 18:14
Interesting that Stephen Petch has unveiled a Fabia for next year instead of the Festa Rally2. Did think as main Hyundai dealers that he may get an i20. Wonder if we will see any others switching from the Ford.

Fast Eddie WRC
26th December 2022, 15:24
Interesting that Stephen Petch has unveiled a Fabia for next year instead of the Festa Rally2. Did think as main Hyundai dealers that he may get an i20. Wonder if we will see any others switching from the Ford.

Hope not, the UK is the last bastion of the rallying Ford...

Sal yet again
10th January 2023, 15:21
Riponian Rally on the 12th February with stages linked by closed public roads again. Entry building nicely with the non-historic entry looking particularly strong:

https://www.riponmotorsportclub.co.uk/events-1/riponian-rally-2023

Sal yet again
10th January 2023, 15:23
East Riding Stages 2023 kicks off the closed roads/tarmac championship for the new year. Stellar entry with at least a couple of C3 Rally2 cars which I think is a first for a mainland tarmac rally?

https://www.bdmc.org.uk/east-riding-stages

TomRix
11th January 2023, 09:11
Thinking of going to the Ypres event. What is the event like for spectators?

hutchie
11th January 2023, 14:39
Great looking entries for both Riponian and East Riding, both events possibly boosted by being in a good slot in the calendar for less clashes. But despite problems in the UK that's really healthy entries and a good mix of cars with both having some top cars capable of winning the events.

Sal yet again
12th January 2023, 18:13
Thinking of going to the Ypres event. What is the event like for spectators?

Been a few years since I've been however buying an event pass is usually a must. If you can pick the brains of a local or someone on one of the other forums here it can help regards where to watch as some of the main spectator locations can be a bit sterile with more red and white tape than on a British rally! Should be quieter this year as no WRC/ERC but always a great atmosphere and having a beer and frites & mayo in the main square has to experienced. Enjoy

Fast Eddie WRC
17th January 2023, 09:13
Keith Cronin another struggling for budget and the 2023 BRC calendar is not ideal for him...

https://www.southernstar.ie/sport/keith-cronin-yet-to-decide-on-his-2023-brc-series-plans-4255434?utm_campaign=article&utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=web

hutchie
17th January 2023, 15:24
I'm not certain what the solution is for the BRC. Costs seem too high but there are good arguments for all the decisions the BRC is making. I'm not sure Ypres should be included but Malcolm Wilson, Jim Clark, Ulster, Rali Ceredigion, Trackrod and Cambrian are all fantastic events that should be in the country's premier series. And the choice to have all the tarmac events in one group makes sense financially.

Meanwhile I can't think of a better car than Rally2. It's a hugely popular global class that allows you to compete elsewhere while also spectacular for spectators. There's plenty of them in the UK.

The only big issues I can see is promotion and the extended time taken to compete. Other than being the British Rally Championship the publicity you get for competing in BRC is no better than BTRDA. There's no TV coverage and it's not big on social media. It feels like the championship needs someone with marketing experience to raise the profile of the championship and UK rallying in general.

HKSjbg
17th January 2023, 16:44
It needs some party to take a leap of faith to give it some higher profile, otherwise nothing else will follow. I don’t know if the answer would be TV, esports or something else in order to reach a new fan base.

HKSjbg
19th January 2023, 23:04
The 2023 Welsh championship has been confirmed:

https://wnrc.wamc.org.uk/

2023 Motorsport UK Pirelli Ravenol Welsh Rally Championship
25 Mar - Rally North Wales
15 Apr - Rallynuts Stages Rally
20 May - Plains Rally
14 Oct - Wyedean Rally
28 Oct - Cambrian Rally

They’ve dressed up the absence of the Red Kite Stages as “… and only one event taking place over the months of June, July and August, providing plenty of time for mid-season car refurbishments in the summer break.” which is understandable as it’s out of their control. But looking back on this thread it seems there’s a bit of a theme developing with a lack of early summer rallies left in this country. Kielder, Argyll and NG seems all there is between June and early July which leaves a big gap for a few championships

I don’t know if this is a change or whether it was always the case and the WnRC organisers had it miscommunicated but the Wyedean has a different date: 11th November

https://www.wyedeanstages.co.uk/

Personally I think a more winter-y date suits the Wyedean better than early autumn

AndyRAC
20th January 2023, 08:53
I can think of quite a few snowy Wyedeans when it ran in February....

hutchie
23rd January 2023, 09:58
I know in the past Hamsterley Forest could never be used during peak summer due to increased numbers of bikers, walkers etc. Wouldn't be surprised if other forests are similar.

Fast Eddie WRC
23rd January 2023, 13:16
I see Matt Edwards was doing another instructor/ co-driver event yesterday with a guy who owns a Citroen C3 R5.

Poor guy must be gutted having to do this when he cant get support to drive such a car himself.

He is still trying to get a drive in Ireland but is still £1000s short in sponsorship. I suggested he use crowdfunding but he doesn't feel this gives out a good impression.

HKSjbg
23rd January 2023, 16:00
Isn’t the performance driving instructor thing always been his living? These aren’t professional rally drivers like the British scene used to have in its heyday, they’ll all be earning a living somehow. Matt Edwards is just fortunate enough that his profession still involves driving cars fast :D

Fast Eddie WRC
24th January 2023, 09:30
Isn’t the performance driving instructor thing always been his living? These aren’t professional rally drivers like the British scene used to have in its heyday, they’ll all be earning a living somehow. Matt Edwards is just fortunate enough that his profession still involves driving cars fast :D

True, but it must rub salt into the wound when rich gentlemen can buy an R5 and hire you, a 3x champion, to sit by them when you would/should be driving such a car yourself.

BTW, I also saw Tom Cave is planning some 2023 events in an old Evo9. Another who should be in an R5.

Sal yet again
25th January 2023, 12:44
https://www.rallies.info/webentry/2023/malcolmwilson/entries.php?type=u

Malcolm Wilson provisional entry list starting to build

HKSjbg
25th January 2023, 15:52
Only 8 entries so far for the BRC counting National rally - 25 entries needed to keep the mileage up:

https://www.malcolmwilson.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2023/01/2023-Regs-3.pdf (page 9)

Steve Boyd
26th January 2023, 00:11
True, but it must rub salt into the wound when rich gentlemen can buy an R5 and hire you, a 3x champion, to sit by them when you would/should be driving such a car yourself.

BTW, I also saw Tom Cave is planning some 2023 events in an old Evo9. Another who should be in an R5.
It's nothing new. I was servicing on the Welsh International in 1984 and a van pulled up alongside us in the Pembray service area. Out jumped Chris Sclater (https://www.ewrc-results.com/profile/23292-chris-sclater/) and Brian Culcheth (https://www.ewrc-results.com/profile/23297-brian-culcheth/) servicing for a Citroen Visa. OK, the Visa driver was Mark Lovell (https://www.ewrc-results.com/profile/9674-mark-lovell/) but he wasn't that established then and either of his mechanics, in the right car, would have warranted a top ten seeding on the event.

Fast Eddie WRC
26th January 2023, 09:51
@SteveBoyd
But those guys weren't 3x BRC Champions and desperate to get (funding for a drive) back at that level...

AndyRAC
26th January 2023, 12:41
I know in the past Hamsterley Forest could never be used during peak summer due to increased numbers of bikers, walkers etc. Wouldn't be surprised if other forests are similar.

Yorkshire has been like that for years; from memory you'd have the Riponian, the Kall Kwik & North Humberside all run by late March/early April. Then the summer break, and come late September we'd then have the Trackrod, then Malton followed by the RAC/ Roger Albert....

HKSjbg
26th January 2023, 15:33
https://www.englishrally.co.uk/the-full-english/

English Rally Championship finally confirmed, including the Border Counties Rally - so the Scottish Champs has a round in England (though in recent years the Carlisle has pushed further into Scotland) and the English has a round in Scotland. Both events using broadly similar stages (Riccarton, Hyndlee etc.)

Why the Border Counties isn’t just a round of the Scottish and Carlisle drops off again I don’t know… Carlisle was only meant to be a reserve round for 2020 and actually put to use as such in 2021 due to covid.

J4MIE
26th January 2023, 22:20
Border Counties isn’t a round of the Scottish Championship, just BTRDA, so does align with the English championship. There has been quite a few Border Counties in the past in the SRC that have fully run in England.

Tom206wrc
27th January 2023, 11:48
Interesting: no less than six drivers in a Citroën C3 Rally2 for the first round of the Irish tarmac championship next week ;)

http://www.ewrc-results.com/entries/80327-corrib-oil-galway-international-rally-2023/

Fast Eddie WRC
27th January 2023, 12:27
Irish Tarmac C'ship @IrishTarmacTROA

Exciting news !

HM Productions will provide live streaming for each Irish Tarmac Rally Championship round in 2023.

https://twitter.com/HMProductions23/status/1618626316324212736?s=20&t=iOH2c9-PfJmMLdeQKbVdjg

Galway can't come quick enough !

Steve Boyd
28th January 2023, 00:15
@SteveBoyd
But those guys weren't 3x BRC Champions and desperate to get (funding for a drive) back at that level...
The point is that if you're interested in the sport you'll find a way of getting involved. Can't get a deal to run a car, then form a preparation business, co-drive for somebody with a budget, do some driver coaching &c.
Oh - and the BRC these days is little more than a clubman's championship in comparison to those days. Look at the events Chris Sclater won & who he beat when he won his championship and look at Culcheth's results in lower class cars BRC Gp1 champion, 16th O/A on the 1000 Lakes in a 1300 Marina (the best result by any British driver before Colin McRae) &c &c.

HKSjbg
28th January 2023, 07:34
https://dirtfish.com/rally/wrc/breen-to-contest-2023-portuguese-championship/

I think BRC bosses should view Craig Breen doing the Portuguese championship as a missed opportunity, or at least an example of what they should be aiming for; here’s a world class driver with a deal to drive a Rally1 in the WRC this year and has time to do a domestic championship alongside it. He’s from the British Isles, he’ll be known to the more casual rally fans in this country who follow not much more than Rally GB and he’s got previous history in the BRC way back in 2010 in the S2000 Fiesta.

They should be asking themselves what is it that the Portuguese championship has that we don’t? Why are there well funded teams like ‘ Hyundai Team Portugal’? What attracts a world championship driver to do their national championship? What is the promotion/broadcasting like in the PRC?

After they got lucky last year with Oliver Solberg entering the Cambrian, WRC2/part-time WRC drivers are exactly who they should have been working hard to attract to the BRC. I know M-Sport entered Adrien Fourmaux in the 2020 Malcolm Wilson Rally and one would hope they might take advantage of the extended format national rally this year and enter Fourmaux and Munster - but then M-Sport aren’t known for chucking their budget around willy nilly.

J4MIE
28th January 2023, 08:03
One of the issues is that if you have a world star coming to the Uk, then it puts off other people who may be wanting to win it.

HKSjbg
28th January 2023, 09:16
It doesn’t seem worth it to me - either these guys are happy to compete in the same arena as drivers like Breen, Solberg, Mikkelsen, Paddon et al and benefit from the increased exposure the championship has or some of those guys are tempted to make one-off appearances like Solberg did for some seat time.

Does Breen’s Portuguese campaign out off all the long time PRC regulars? Probably not. They probably see it as a bit of positive publicity.

There are ways around it but if the championship only caters for the clubmen it will only ever be as good as a mixed-surface clubman’s championship (OK a bit higher level than truly clubman, but you know what I mean).

AndyRAC
28th January 2023, 10:39
It's great for the Portuguese championship - they seem to 'get' the sport of rallying - and have both a WRC & ERC round. The contrast to the UK couldn't be more stark.

I did see a comment that the BRC Tarmac rounds are of no use to teams in the WRC as they're far too bumpy, and it's easier to do a gravel rally on the mainland.......

It would be nice to see an M-Sport entry on the odd event, but I'm not expecting it in all honesty.

Fast Eddie WRC
28th January 2023, 14:25
The point is that if you're interested in the sport you'll find a way of getting involved. Can't get a deal to run a car, then form a preparation business, co-drive for somebody with a budget, do some driver coaching &c.
Oh - and the BRC these days is little more than a clubman's championship in comparison to those days. Look at the events Chris Sclater won & who he beat when he won his championship and look at Culcheth's results in lower class cars BRC Gp1 champion, 16th O/A on the 1000 Lakes in a 1300 Marina (the best result by any British driver before Colin McRae) &c &c.

Far off days and the current case of Matt Edwards is very different and a damning indictment of the state rallying in the UK. The 3x BRC Champion cant get enough sponsorship for even a single event in a top car, never mind the full championship.

He is now chasing money to do the ITRC as even Ireland has a better rally scene than here. But even there its proving tough and hes having to just help guys with their tyre selection, working with with Pirelli. A sad state of affairs.

Fast Eddie WRC
28th January 2023, 14:31
One of the issues is that if you have a world star coming to the Uk, then it puts off other people who may be wanting to win it.

I'm not sure this would be the case as most of those likely to enter the BRC this year will just be those with the money behind them to do so, rather than real serious competitors. I reckon doing events with someone like Breen would be something they would love to be able to brag about.

Steve Boyd
28th January 2023, 23:26
I don't recall entries from the likes of Hannu Mikkola, Stig Blomqvist, Per Eklund, Ari Vatanen or Henri Toivonen in the BRC putting anybody off entering. I think it actually encouraged British & Irish drivers to enter to see how close they could get to the international stars.

Fast Eddie WRC
30th January 2023, 17:14
Galway International entry with 23 cars in RC2...

https://www.ewrc-results.com/entries/80327-corrib-oil-galway-international-rally-2023/

Fast Eddie WRC
31st January 2023, 10:15
Matt Edwards was on an Irish rally podcast yesterday (Krunching Gears) explaining how he operates his driver coaching and his tyre advice role with Pirelli.

He also said how hard it is to get funding and how this means he doesn't have the time to chase it with having to work to keep his family.

His aim is still to drive in the ITRC but it's looking pretty unlikely unless a company suddenly gives him backing.

HKSjbg
31st January 2023, 19:16
2023 Protyre BTRDA Asphalt Rally Championship in association with Motorsport News *
26 February….The Reed Group East Riding Stages Rally
12/13 May….Manx National Rally**
26/27 May….Beatson’s Building Supplies Jim Clark Rally
23/24 June….Dunoon presents Argyll Rally
22 July….Down Rally
5/6 August….Nigel Ferguson Fabricators Tour of Epynt
22 October….Ford Parts Cheviot Stages Rally

https://asphaltrallying.com/2022/11/04/exciting-new-look-calendar-of-events-announced-for-the-2023-protyre-btrda-asphalt-rally-championship/?amp=1

I just noticed ewrc shows Tour of Epynt as running on the 30th July and came back here to check if it had changed, was sure it was August…

The ToE website is a year out of date but the facebook page has an update: https://m.facebook.com/100063453824904/ Essentially the MoD have forced a change in available date meaning it can no longer be part of the Asphalt Championship as Down runs the week before that.

I wonder if Mewla will be brought in to replace it? Running on the August bank holiday greatly reduces the gap between the final two rounds.

AndyRAC
1st February 2023, 08:04
The Tour of Epynt used to be mid March; and late July/early August was the Harry Flatters; what happened to that event?

J4MIE
1st February 2023, 09:52
I don't recall entries from the likes of Hannu Mikkola, Stig Blomqvist, Per Eklund, Ari Vatanen or Henri Toivonen in the BRC putting anybody off entering. I think it actually encouraged British & Irish drivers to enter to see how close they could get to the international stars.

Changed days now though. Most back then wouldn’t have been spending anything like the ludicrous modern day costs of being near the top.

HKSjbg
1st February 2023, 10:35
The Tour of Epynt used to be mid March; and late July/early August was the Harry Flatters; what happened to that event?

Nothing on the Brecon Motor Club website before 2019 but again facebook is more up to date; https://m.facebook.com/100062987602782/

I’d copy and paste more but the gist is the event is being ‘rested’ which in my mind means the MoD won’t accommodate them any more and the event is unlikely to return. Dixies Challenge still runs at the start of May though so there’s still 3 tarmac rallies up on Epynt

hutchie
1st February 2023, 13:43
I wonder if Mewla will be brought in to replace it? Running on the August bank holiday greatly reduces the gap between the final two rounds.

From what I gather championship calendars can no longer be changed after they've been submitted to Motorsport UK, so I don't think they will be able to swap in Mewla.

HKSjbg
1st February 2023, 15:10
Ah OK is that why there have been specific reserve events nominated in recent years? (Carlise for the SRC, Mull for the BRC)

J4MIE
1st February 2023, 21:46
As far as I know they can change the calendar, but it needs all championship registered competitors to agree to it. Sometimes people can disagree just to be awkward….

Steve Boyd
2nd February 2023, 00:26
Changed days now though. Most back then wouldn’t have been spending anything like the ludicrous modern day costs of being near the top.
Yes they would. I remember in 1980 a bloke I know spent £10k on a fuel injected Terry Holye BDG (just the engine) to do the Irish Tarmac Championship. The year before I bought a brand new 2 litre Cortina (whole car) for £3.5k.

Fast Eddie WRC
2nd February 2023, 09:12
MRF Tyres BTRDA initiative & prize. Good to see some more support coming in to UK rallying.

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=642837714313454&id=100057616922979

hutchie
2nd February 2023, 12:05
MRF Tyres BTRDA initiative & prize. Good to see some more support coming in to UK rallying.

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=642837714313454&id=100057616922979

That's a significant prize great initiative, MRF definitely appear to be filling a hole in the rally tyre market as the affordable choice from what I've heard.

Fast Eddie WRC
3rd February 2023, 17:24
Galway Rally / 2023 ITRC Season preview...

https://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/othersport/arid-41062679.html

J4MIE
3rd February 2023, 18:13
Ceredigion replacing Mewla in Ashslt championship. No surprise really.

https://asphaltrallying.com/2023/02/03/rali-ceredigion-replaces-tour-of-epynt-in-the-2023-protyre-btrda-asphalt-rally-championship-calendar/

HKSjbg
3rd February 2023, 22:16
Ceredigion replacing Mewla in Ashslt championship. No surprise really.

https://asphaltrallying.com/2023/02/03/rali-ceredigion-replaces-tour-of-epynt-in-the-2023-protyre-btrda-asphalt-rally-championship-calendar/

“This year’s event will feature a refreshed and extended route offering nearly 100 stage miles over two full days.”

“We have been working hard to enhance Rali Ceredigion for competitors and this year’s event will offer new stages, greater mileage…”

Looking forward to this, so long as Nant y Moch and Pendam remain and run in the same direction as ‘22 the stages will be absolute crackers!

HKSjbg
4th February 2023, 08:08
I know M-Sport entered Adrien Fourmaux in the 2020 Malcolm Wilson Rally and one would hope they might take advantage of the extended format national rally this year and enter Fourmaux and Munster - but then M-Sport aren’t known for chucking their budget around willy nilly.

Turns out I was half right: https://dirtfish.com/rally/brc/fourmaux-to-contest-british-rally-championship-opener/

The factory M-Sport Ford driver will run a Ford Fiesta Rally2 on the team’s home event – and might well be seen on further British rounds later in the season.

Asked if there was any chance of a season-long BRC challenge from M-Sport, Wilson added: “Well, he’s certainly going to start round one. At the moment we don’t really have any plans for anything beyond that.”

Let’s hope the former is closer to the truth!

Fast Eddie WRC
4th February 2023, 14:06
The Fiesta Rally2 certainly needs development and some promotion for more sales. Fourmaux doing and maybe winning BRC rounds in it wouldn't hurt.

Fast Eddie WRC
4th February 2023, 14:53
Interesting Day 1 in the Galway Rally with several different stage winners and rally lead changes, plus a nice variety of cars. In the end reigning champion Josh Moffett has pulled a 7.8s lead over McCourt.

HKSjbg
5th February 2023, 14:51
Evans’ second ITRC victory in a row!

Fast Eddie WRC
5th February 2023, 17:06
Evans’ second ITRC victory in a row!

Great drive and fully-deserved this one competing with all the Irish stars.

Mistakes by the Moffett's helped but Evans took on the difficult conditions on Sunday and won.

Fast Eddie WRC
6th February 2023, 09:32
RAC 2023 route revealed...

https://www.rallyinguk.info/post/roger-albert-clark-rally-route-outline-revealed

AndyRAC
6th February 2023, 09:41
Nice route, lots of mileage, proper old school rallying!! The only miss is the lack of Yorkshire, but we knew that already......It's just short sightedness from the FC in Yorkshire.

HKSjbg
6th February 2023, 11:05
Possibly more stages in central Wales like Hafren etc. and a service in Newton Stewart suggests maybe Clashindarroch, Glentrool, Glengap? Looking forward to finding out the actual stage itinerary!

J4MIE
6th February 2023, 15:57
Possibly more stages in central Wales like Hafren etc. and a service in Newton Stewart suggests maybe Clashindarroch, Glentrool, Glengap? Looking forward to finding out the actual stage itinerary!

Clashindarroch is up Aberdeen way.

Glen troop hasn’t been used for quite a few years but a lot of mileage in there.

HKSjbg
6th February 2023, 18:51
Of course, I meant Clatteringshaws

Must have been because I was watching an old Granite City Rally from the 90s earlier :D

AndyRAC
6th February 2023, 20:14
I remember going up to both Glengap & Clatteringshaws on the RSAC Scottish in the late 90s/ early 00s......really nice stages.

Steve Boyd
6th February 2023, 23:33
I remember going up to both Glengap & Clatteringshaws on the RSAC Scottish in the late 90s/ early 00s......really nice stages.
Apart from the midges!

AndyRAC
7th February 2023, 09:30
Apart from the midges!

Ah yes - first time I went up there I had no idea how bad they were; went to the picnic site at Ae Forest, got out of the car and met first hand the little blighters.....

Steve Boyd
7th February 2023, 23:07
I've been bitten days later after they've taken up residence in the car. I now spray the inside with flyspray when I get home and leave it a few hours to make sure!

Fast Eddie WRC
8th February 2023, 09:07
Great action from Galway 2023:

https://youtu.be/2eJB6e3DA0Y

Imagine the WRC on roads like this if Rally GB NI ever happens.

HKSjbg
9th February 2023, 17:13
I’ve never found Galway to that exciting personally. I’m hoping (Ulster) (NI) Rally UK whatever it gets called would be abit like the 2016 Circuit - a day on the Antrim coast and a day around Hamilton’s Folly/Bucks Head/Gregorlough/McGaffins Corner etc - plus a day over the Sperrin mountains

Sal yet again
11th February 2023, 16:00
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-64591498

This is really bad for motorcycle racing in N.Ireland at the moment and has the potential to spill over to other forms of motorsport including rallying. Cant see any funding being available for a WRC round there with this hanging around in the background.

Sal yet again
11th February 2023, 16:00
Looks like Robbo wont be starting the Riponian tomorrow sadly.

AndyRAC
11th February 2023, 20:03
https://www.riponmotorsportclub.co.uk/riponian-stages

AndyRAC
11th February 2023, 20:09

This is really bad for motorcycle racing in N.Ireland at the moment and has the potential to spill over to other forms of motorsport including rallying. Cant see any funding being available for a WRC round there with this hanging around in the background.

What I found surprising was the lack of charging to spectate......Considering the crowds it attracts, it seems a 'no-brainer'. And there has already been issues regarding funding in previous years - and organisers moaning if it had been for golf, the money men would've had no issue.

Fast Eddie WRC
13th February 2023, 13:09

Rallying isn't so dangerous so maybe it could come in the 'replace' the motorcycle racing ?

J4MIE
13th February 2023, 19:40
Having seen photos and videos from the Riponian yesterday, rallying is definitely on borrowed time with the ridiculous places people continue to stand, including several I’ve seen cars crashing into the exact same positions! :facepalm:

Sal yet again
14th February 2023, 09:38
It was ironic then that the only reported serious issue involved an official committing one of the cardinal sins of being at a rally. There was a big turnout on Sunday as usual with a lot of "first timers" from what I saw at Wass and most if not all were behaving themselves. The nature of the event 3 stages repeated with designated spectator points is always going to concentrate people who arent familiar with the woods and potentially encourage them to move around those locations to get a different view point.

Sal yet again
14th February 2023, 09:39
Rallying isn't so dangerous so maybe it could come in the 'replace' the motorcycle racing ?

Oh if we could all live in your ideal world!

Fast Eddie WRC
14th February 2023, 12:37
You've got to try everything to make a case for rallying. A lot of people are behind the NI bid and I'm sure the motorcycle racing people won't give up easily. We have to do the same... its dog eat dog out there !

World Rally Championship: Organisers '100% behind' round in Northern Ireland - https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/motorsport/64513010

Sal yet again
14th February 2023, 16:24
I wasnt criticising your optimism in fact I wish there was more of that spirit about!

Problem is that insurance companies are so scared of potential big payouts due to our blame culture now that any form of sport and even demonstrations that are non competitive can be stopped in their tracks.

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/news/i-fear-festival-of-speed-is-finished-organiser-says-all-irish-motorsport-in-danger-due-to-insurance-costs-41933044.html

Hell I even found this from a couple of years ago and this is only one horsepower involved:

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/insurance-cover-challenges-could-stop-amateur-horse-racing-in-tracks-1.4741263

Fast Eddie WRC
16th February 2023, 09:58
Happily the ITRC seems to be going ahead just fine this year with a really big entry in Galway.

Although the cancelled stages due to icy roads are probably an indication of of the safety-first requirement that is maybe caused by the risk of future insurance problems.

Steve Boyd
16th February 2023, 23:57
Regulations for the Corbeau Seats Rally Tendring & Clacton 2023 are now published and entries open on the 27th February.

Fast Eddie WRC
17th February 2023, 08:41
M-Sport @MSportLtd
Puma Rally1 to make UK debut with Jourdan Serderidis on the Malcolm Wilson Rally ! :D

hutchie
17th February 2023, 08:52
M-Sport @MSportLtd
Puma Rally1 to make UK debut with Jourdan Serderidis on the Malcolm Wilson Rally ! :D

I expect Malcolm Wilson Rally is going to see big spectator numbers with Rally1 debut, Fourmaux and the British Rally Championship. Going to be some busy roads in the Lakes.

Sal yet again
17th February 2023, 15:10
Seems my spamming them on their Instagram posts has paid off! Didnt think they would have a car spare so close to Mexico but good news.

Fast Eddie WRC
18th February 2023, 10:44
Seems my spamming them on their Instagram posts has paid off! .

See, optimism and not giving up on what you want to happen can work ! ;)

Tom206wrc
19th February 2023, 11:09
WOW! Only 0"1 final gap between Stephen Wright and Jonny Greer yesterday in Belfast(Kirkitown Stages) :eek: :crazy:

Sal yet again
19th February 2023, 19:54
Cant get any closer than that!

Sal yet again
19th February 2023, 19:55
https://www.rallies.info/webentry/2023/ersr/entries.php?type=s

Seeded entry list for this weekend's East Riding Stages closed road event. A real blast from the past with Jonny Milner wheeling out the old Toyota Corolla WRC!

Steve Boyd
20th February 2023, 00:16
Cant get any closer than that!
Yes you can.
On the 2012 Trackrod Tom Cave & Osian Price were equal to the tenth of a second after all six stages. Cave was declared the winner because he was 0.1s faster on the first stage.

Fast Eddie WRC
20th February 2023, 13:31
And didn't Keith Cronin win the final leg of the 2017 season and thus the Championship by 0.1s ?!

Steve Boyd
20th February 2023, 23:29
And didn't Keith Cronin win the final leg of the 2017 season and thus the Championship by 0.1s ?!
He was champion in 2017 but won Rally Isle of Man by 18.6 seconds. Maybe it was another year?

HKSjbg
21st February 2023, 05:58
I think the ‘1’ from that year was the fact Cronin won the championship by 1 point ;)

Fast Eddie WRC
22nd February 2023, 09:14
Found it...

"So with one leg left, it was between championship leader Ahlin and Cronin who was on a mission to complete the ultimate series comeback and by the end of leg two, the Irish driver had done just that by claiming the victory in the final round of the season.

Cronin showed his strength on tarmac and won the championship by a sole point ahead of Ahlin in turn thanks to Edwards who had again snatched crucial points away from the Swede after finishing second on leg two on the Isle of Man, incredibly finishing just 0.1 seconds behind Cronin."

Steve Boyd
22nd February 2023, 23:59
Ah - now I've got it!
Rally Isle of Man was a double header. While Cronin won the whole event by 18.6 seconds he beat Matt Edwards by 0.1s on the second half (Legs 3 & 4) of the event to clinch the championship.
You'd think, as Results Officer for Rally Isle of Man, I'd know this but the only memory I have these days is on the hard drives of the computers I have!

Fast Eddie WRC
24th February 2023, 09:31
I knew it had happened but it took a wee while to trace the event and exact circumstances. And I remember now it was so complicated to work out... with 3 drivers involved, two Legs on the same rally and jokers being played !

Fast Eddie WRC
24th February 2023, 10:27
Very good to see Matt Edwards back behind the wheel !

He will be driving a Fiesta Rally2 in the 2023 Irish National Championship Midland Stages Rally this weekend.

HKSjbg
24th February 2023, 10:42
Hold your horses, weekend after :D

Steve Boyd
25th February 2023, 00:20
I knew it had happened but it took a wee while to trace the event and exact circumstances. And I remember now it was so complicated to work out... with 3 drivers involved, two Legs on the same rally and jokers being played !
I only had to be sure the results of the event were right (both halves and the total) - sorting out the Championship points was somebody else's problem!

Sal yet again
26th February 2023, 18:14
Great day out in the Winter sunshine today on the East Ridings stages and although only managed 2 stages as it was relatively unfamiliar territory for me I really enjoyed the action. A few surprises with the reigning tarmac champion going off a bit further down SS1 and James Ford in the Citroen C3 Rally2 and Kevin Davies in the Polo R5 both really impressive and raising a few eyebrows along the way. Massive effort from the organising team and special shouts go out to the marshals who had to sit in their cars about half a mile away from the stages on various access roads to make sure no incidents occurred.

J4MIE
28th February 2023, 17:08
https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/world/car-crashes-into-crowd-during-east-yorkshire-rally-five-people-injured/ar-AA180F36

Swept under the carpet as usual in rallying. You would have thought it was a completely perfect event reading everyone’s stories.

Sal yet again
28th February 2023, 19:47
I'd heard there'd been an "off" however the news was very much 3rd hand and no-one mentioned any injuries. Hope everyone involved makes a quick recovery.

Sal yet again
28th February 2023, 19:49
Back to the Malcolm Wilson apparantly Fourmaux has been registered for the BRC so will be interesting to see how m any rounds he gets to do.

Steve Boyd
28th February 2023, 23:54
He may just be under the impression that you have to be registered for the BRC to do the recce, but I can't see anything in the event regulations that says that.

HKSjbg
1st March 2023, 06:13
To me it reads that recce is for competitors entered on the National event, nothing specifically saying BRC entrants: https://www.malcolmwilson.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2023/02/2023-Regulations.pdf

Hopefully there are the requisite 25 entrants on the longer event, it would be a shame if we had a Cambrian 2020 situation again

Fast Eddie WRC
1st March 2023, 09:56
There's a fair chance he'll do more BRC events if they dont clash with the WRC. M-Sport have said that developing their Fiesta Rally2 is a priority and Fourmaux must be at the forefront of this.

J4MIE
1st March 2023, 12:17
He may just be under the impression that you have to be registered for the BRC to do the recce, but I can't see anything in the event regulations that says that.

The National event does the recce, interclub doesn’t so subject to normal MSUK non recce regs.

Sal yet again
1st March 2023, 16:40
Interesting to see James Williams appearing to buck the trend and going to Ford from a Hyundai

HKSjbg
1st March 2023, 19:17
A new rally magazine-style show announced by Special Stage - it’ll be on TV as well as youtube and, my favourite, facebook :D

Watching rallying last year through only stage-side video with no commentary for an idea of the overall story of the event just got boring really quickly.

https://youtu.be/J6Ju2gj1s9s

HKSjbg
1st March 2023, 19:18
Interesting to see James Williams appearing to buck the trend and going to Ford from a Hyundai

Especially as last year his main sponsor was Hyundai Power Products

Fast Eddie WRC
2nd March 2023, 09:19
@PaulWoodford84
More exciting rally news! We’re bringing back the monthly round-up rally shows, thanks to Seacon UK.

Not only that; you’ll be able to watch on TV, on the ‘Sporty Stuff’ Sky / Freeview channel as well as online!

What a year this is going to be for rally TV ! :)

Fast Eddie WRC
2nd March 2023, 13:45
M.Wilson Rally seeded entry...
https://www.rallies.info/webentry/2023/malcolmwilson/entries.php?type=s

Sal yet again
3rd March 2023, 10:11
Car number 38 snuck in under the radar of the BRC hype machine!

Fast Eddie WRC
3rd March 2023, 10:40
Car number 38 snuck in under the radar of the BRC hype machine!

Well-spotted ! How is he seeded so low down ??

Fast Eddie WRC
3rd March 2023, 10:56
Btw, anyone know what's happened to Rhys Yates ? Not heard any plans from him for ages and he was one of the better-funded young drivers we had.

Osian Pryce has also gone quiet after suggesting he was targeting the ERC...

https://www.fiaerc.com/erc/news/erc/2022/british-champion-pryce-considering-erc-step-up/

Sal yet again
3rd March 2023, 11:14
Keith despite his success in the past always seems to struggle for a proper budget so guess it was last minute .com again.

Regards the drivers who have dropped off the radar I suppose you could add Ruari Bell to that list? Yates though has gone from being everywhere Goodwood Speedweek/BRC/WRC2 to nowhere.

hutchie
3rd March 2023, 12:17
Keith despite his success in the past always seems to struggle for a proper budget so guess it was last minute .com again.

Regards the drivers who have dropped off the radar I suppose you could add Ruari Bell to that list? Yates though has gone from being everywhere Goodwood Speedweek/BRC/WRC2 to nowhere.

Ruari Bell is still very much active on Social media about rallying so would be surprised if there's not a plan for events this year.

AndyRAC
3rd March 2023, 14:43
Sadly, winning the BRC doesn't mean the sponsors will come rolling in; Cronin, Edwards among the multi winners having trouble raising cash. And as already said, Pryce's plans for a ERC campaign don't look like they've come to much.

I can't say I've been overly impressed with the EVO involvement; I was expecting more from them.

Sal yet again
3rd March 2023, 15:16
British rallying is once again in a slightly odd position. The Wilson despite being a BRC/BTRDA round is not showing a reserve list which is interesting. One of the future rounds of the circuit championship at Cadwell which a couple of seasons ago would be oversubscribed at release is showing around 50 or so entries. Contrast that with the East Riding stages last weekend which was up around the 140 entry mark. Are we seeing a shift or just crews wanting a new challenge?

The Irish on the other hand seem to be unaffected even if its all a bit up the air about Donegal and they are supporting multiple drivers at ERC and WRC level..

HKSjbg
3rd March 2023, 16:39
even if its all a bit up the air about Donegal

Don’t leave us hanging like that… what’s going on with Donegal??

Sal yet again
3rd March 2023, 17:01
There were some suggestions that the organising commitee had resigned en masse and other issues however a statement has now been issued stating the rally will go ahead as planned now.

Fast Eddie WRC
3rd March 2023, 19:47
Spooky... this just appeared on my FB feed...

https://www.motorsportauctions.com/category/74/world-rally-cars/listings/27132/rhys-yates-r5-fiesta-spares-package.html

Fast Eddie WRC
3rd March 2023, 22:08
Special Stage Rally Show Ep1.
https://youtu.be/0NC08ytO5gY

HKSjbg
4th March 2023, 05:40
Reduced mileage all but confirmed by the looks of it. The BRC’s only extra stages will be a third run through Greystoke

https://www.ewrc-results.com/timetable/81205-malcolm-wilson-rally-brc-2023/

AndyRAC
4th March 2023, 08:56
Ah Greystoke, which is of course not a spectator stage......

Never feel the Malcolm Wilson is the most 'spectator friendly' event. The Whinlatter stages are quite early, then it's a drive south to get to Grizedale.

HKSjbg
4th March 2023, 13:25
Looking at the Grizedale mileage I think Plan A was repeats of those two, which would have made it more worthwhile for the trip to those forests. You could almost see this coming when the BRC manager Reece Tarren was absolutely losing his nut in an interview over the prospect of 61 miles/98km running all in one day... As if that was supposed to be mind-blowing

AndyRAC
5th March 2023, 14:05
It's the BRC, it's meant to be hard...98km in a day shouldn't be thought of as unfair. One concludes that too many have become used to 45 miles (72km) BTRDA events......

Fast Eddie WRC
5th March 2023, 15:20
2nd place for Matt Edwards on his 2023 'comeback' in the Irish National Championship Midland Moto Stages.

A great result in the Fiesta beating of both the Moffett's (i20s) and just 10s behind the Polo of Devine.

HKSjbg
5th March 2023, 16:18
It's the BRC, it's meant to be hard...98km in a day shouldn't be thought of as unfair. One concludes that too many have become used to 45 miles (72km) BTRDA events......

The BRC really ought not to be catering for those who are only prepared to do a 45 mile rally, it’s meant to be the top rung of the sport in this country.

It should be positioned towards those semi-professionals who aren’t quite at WRC level yet or have had their chance and accept they should step back into another strong championship. Østberg went to do the Hungarian championship, Kristensson went to Poland, the French championship has loads of top WRC-2/former WRC-2 level drivers, Breen is doing the Portuguese championship…

It’s not easy, but still not impossible to add value to those pro/semi-pro competitors who fancy the challenge of British forests and lanes. MSUK’s stance appears to be ‘we’ll make an effort to edge slightly away from clubman-level events and hope that the competitors and sponsors take a leap of faith on the BRC so we don’t have to put the real hard work in to make this a credible domestic championship again’

J4MIE
5th March 2023, 17:05
Btw, anyone know what's happened to Rhys Yates ? Not heard any plans from him for ages and he was one of the better-funded young drivers we had.

Having heard of some quite disturbing behaviour at a BTRDA awards evening a few years back, I hope he is having a quite miserable future ahead of him. Dickhead.

hutchie
6th March 2023, 09:33
Ah Greystoke, which is of course not a spectator stage......

Never feel the Malcolm Wilson is the most 'spectator friendly' event. The Whinlatter stages are quite early, then it's a drive south to get to Grizedale.

The Greystoke stage becoming non-spectator was a real blow for spectators on the event. Greystoke was always a relatively easy forest to access from the M6 with decent view points. I've marshalled in the Whinlatter area and they are great stages with good viewing points, but with the restriction of running so early it was a mad early start to the day.

AndyRAC
6th March 2023, 09:48
The Greystoke stage becoming non-spectator was a real blow for spectators on the event. Greystoke was always a relatively easy forest to access from the M6 with decent view points. I've marshalled in the Whinlatter area and they are great stages with good viewing points, but with the restriction of running so early it was a mad early start to the day.

Yes, I'd agree with that. I recall when Whinlatter was run morning and afternoon; then it became one run in the morning, then it became early morning.....so the FC can re-open mid morning for walkers/MTB-ers.
Having been to Greystoke, there were issues with parking on verges, which may have caused the issue.
As I said earlier, for a BRC round, it's not spectator friendly; they should be trying to reduce traffic on the local roads, and run some spectator stages twice.

Fast Eddie WRC
6th March 2023, 10:29
2nd place for Matt Edwards on his 2023 'comeback' in the Irish National Championship Midland Moto Stages.

A great result in the Fiesta beating of both the Moffett's (i20s) and just 10s behind the Polo of Devine.

A very happy man !

https://www.instagram.com/p/Cpa9QZwj-1z/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

Fast Eddie WRC
6th March 2023, 11:05
Gary Pearson 2023 BRC campaign... with Dan Barritt alongside !

https://www.britishrallychampionship.co.uk/news/pearson-pursues-maiden-brc-win-in-2023/

HKSjbg
6th March 2023, 17:39
Reading further down this article on Kieth Cronin it appears Adrien Fourmaux is doing the championship, just nobody is sure how many rounds he’ll do:

https://www.britishrallychampionship.co.uk/news/cronin-launches-drive-for-five-brc-comeback/

Fast Eddie WRC
7th March 2023, 08:15
Snowy weather forecast this week for Cumbria ! :uhoh:

J4MIE
7th March 2023, 12:37
I can see it being cancelled already as with snow Thurs/Fri it’ll all be ice by Saturday. All depends what FC decides.

AndyRAC
7th March 2023, 13:05
Yeah, that was my thought as soon as the possibility of snow occurred......It will be the FC who will cancel it.....

Fast Eddie WRC
7th March 2023, 15:05
Update from Osian Pryce....

I’ve been fairly quiet on socials regarding my rally plans this year. There has been a lot been going on behind the scenes and still going on. There have been a lot of set backs than I anticipated, but hopefully if progress improves i’ll be able to share some sort of plan with you.
Some have probably noticed by now that i’m not on the entry list for the 1st round of the British Championship, and that i wont be defending my crown this year. This is My own choice.
I thought I’d hop on here and give the reasons why, as i seem to see a lot of “gurus” on social media giving the British Rally Championship a hard time for one reason or another and presuming why I wont be taking part.
My reason for not defending the title is NOT due to there being no incentives, and lack of competition bla bla bla.
When you have the likes of Keith Cronin pushing you at the front, theres no lack of competition, there may not be quantity but there is quality.
My reasoning is more of a personal one. I’ve supported the BRC for over half of my rally career, and i feel now is the time to give something else a go to see how it goes….its now or never.
I’ve also been looking at things outside of rallying, a few things have sparked my interest over the last few years and i was lucky to enough to try something id always fancied at the end of last week, and needless to say i loved it.
Ive followed a “path” for as long as I remember so now I’m going to change that path and enjoy some high level of competition in new areas and environments. After all, Rallying so far, is a hobby of mine, and all my family and friends are a massive part of it too, so it’s important we all enjoy it so I can go on and be competitive for years to come.

OP

the sniper
7th March 2023, 15:19
I can see it being cancelled already as with snow Thurs/Fri it’ll all be ice by Saturday. All depends what FC decides.

And I get the feeling the FC in that part of the country would be the quickest to call time on a rally...

AndyRAC
7th March 2023, 15:45
I think Yorkshire are similar........

Sal yet again
7th March 2023, 16:04
Riponian was canned a few years back because of wind and the Grizedale Stages because of ice on the access roads. Its a sign of the times as still remember sliding down the Wythop stage on my backside after slipping over in 85 on the RAC and the cars had already gone downhill with that drop before then!

Sal yet again
8th March 2023, 08:23
Looks like all the official car parks for the MW have sold out so if lots of others turn up it could be busy which I guess is to be expected of a rally fan base deprived of seeing the current top level of machinery. Dont think the message re the stage mileage being reduced has been widely broadcast though so could be some disgruntled punters. Hope the weather and potential spectator numbers dont affect the rally.

Sadly I wont be going now as just tested + for Covid! Thanks Wife!

Fast Eddie WRC
8th March 2023, 12:23
My weather app is showing mostly sleet for the area so it might be ok. It will be freezing overnight though.

HKSjbg
9th March 2023, 06:37
I’ve woken up to about 4-6 inches of snow here in Herefordshire, christ knows what it’s like up in the Lakes. I wouldn’t be surprised if Rally North Wales at the end of the month still had some snow drifts about the place

Sal yet again
9th March 2023, 07:54
Looking like there will a massive turnout of spectators going by the online chatter so hope the access roads etc are unaffected as there could be issues otherwise.

AndyRAC
9th March 2023, 08:06
Entrance to car parks by tickets bought online; You can bet there'll be loads turning up without tickets, some genuinely not knowing. What happens then? Could be chaos....

Fast Eddie WRC
9th March 2023, 08:47
I’ve woken up to about 4-6 inches of snow here in Herefordshire, christ knows what it’s like up in the Lakes.

Lake District webcams still show no snow up there yet.

https://www.lakedistrict.gov.uk/visiting/webcams-videos-and-photos/webcams

Tom206wrc
9th March 2023, 10:51
Wow! I can't believe my eyes: 10 C3 Rally2 on entrylist of next week West Cork Rally(second round of irish tarmac championship)! :eek:

Desi Henry among the Citroën drivers for the first time :D

Fast Eddie WRC
9th March 2023, 16:02
Fourmaux livery for MW Rally:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FqyyM_YWABArCNp?format=jpg&name=large

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FqyyNwNXgAEHLgb?format=jpg&name=large

Sal yet again
9th March 2023, 17:09
Wow! I can't believe my eyes: 10 C3 Rally2 on entrylist of next week West Cork Rally(second round of irish tarmac championship)! :eek:

Desi Henry among the Citroën drivers for the first time :D

Sign of the times with the Fiesta almost being a minority car at the pointy end now. C3's have come from nowhere though TBH!

See Craig Breen is also entered but in his 3 door Cosworth

Fast Eddie WRC
9th March 2023, 18:52

"The Welsh crew will be equipped with a NPL Rally Hire prepared Ford Fiesta Rally2 following the use of a Hyundai i20 R5 last season. James last drove a Fiesta Rally2 at the end of the 2021. In a one off drive, he gelled with the car instantly – challenging the established BRC frontrunners at the time.

If I want to be realistically fighting for wins and hopefully the title, the Ford Fiesta is one of the cars for the job. It’s a proven winner around the world and I want to thank NPL Rally Hire and M-Sport for putting this deal together."

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FqzS2yWWIAAUdE5?format=jpg&name=large

HKSjbg
9th March 2023, 20:48
Fourmaux livery for MW Rally:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FqyyM_YWABArCNp?format=jpg&name=large

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FqyyNwNXgAEHLgb?format=jpg&name=large

Surprised they’re not just using the WRC-2 livery

Fast Eddie WRC
9th March 2023, 22:18
Surprised they’re not just using the WRC-2 livery

Maybe going to the trouble of a new livery is an indication they will be around in it on quite a few BRC events...

Steve Boyd
10th March 2023, 00:31
Lake District webcams still show no snow up there yet.

https://www.lakedistrict.gov.uk/visiting/webcams-videos-and-photos/webcams
They do now!

HKSjbg
10th March 2023, 07:24
Maybe going to the trouble of a new livery is an indication they will be around in it on quite a few BRC events...

There’s no clashes with the Jim Clark so maybe that will be a good marker for their intent

Fast Eddie WRC
10th March 2023, 08:38
Recce in Grizedale..

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Fq2JFYmWcAAklvY?format=jpg&name=large

Fast Eddie WRC
10th March 2023, 08:53
Matt Edwards has been helping James Williams prepare and said in a podcast he may be working with MSport on developing the Fiesta Rally2.

https://www.instagram.com/reel/CpmiJrBD8RN/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

Fast Eddie WRC
10th March 2023, 14:04
Serdiridis Puma livery...

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Fq3WAJ2WAAAqh5f?format=jpg&name=large

Sal yet again
10th March 2023, 16:21
Looks like a very quickly re-liveried test car

Hearing suggestions SS1 has been pulled as the BRC crews couldnt get access to recce.

J4MIE
10th March 2023, 16:46
Looks like a very quickly re-liveried test car

Hearing suggestions SS1 has been pulled as the BRC crews couldnt get access to recce.

Yep, long very steep hill up to the start of SS1 so not surprised.

Will actually be amazed if anything runs, due to deep freeze overnight. Trying to decide whether to go as I do like a snowy event with a bit of action.

Sal yet again
10th March 2023, 16:49
Finally testing negative but a bit wiped out so will only be watching the Special Stage coverage sadly

Destra quattro
10th March 2023, 17:20
Yep, long very steep hill up to the start of SS1 so not surprised.

Will actually be amazed if anything runs, due to deep freeze overnight. Trying to decide whether to go as I do like a snowy event with a bit of action.

First 3 stages cancelled..5 remaining 40 miles

Sal yet again
10th March 2023, 17:22
Oh dear first 3 stages pulled and not replaced with any extra mileage in Grizedale. Three runs through Greystoke which is off limits to the general public is not making for some happy punters online. Bit of a false start for the BRC..

HKSjbg
10th March 2023, 17:29
It’s a pity the second runs through Grizedale had already been cancelled. Two runs through Greystoke and both Grizedales would have been a few more much needed stage kms, assuming all those forests are in useable condition. Also assuming un-cancelling stages is unviable :D

J4MIE
10th March 2023, 19:55
Special Stage satellite organised for Greystoke due to lack of mobile signal.

I can see a fairly high chance that Grizedale won’t run either, all depends what the ice looks like in the morning. Sleepless night for the organisers I bet.

Many many many morons on the MW facebook page…

HKSjbg
11th March 2023, 06:52
Many many many morons on the MW facebook page…

“Ever heard of the Snowman Rally?” is my favourite. Apparently every year they run on snow tyres…

J4MIE
11th March 2023, 08:18
“Ever heard of the Snowman Rally?” is my favourite. Apparently every year they run on snow tyres…

I did the last snowy one in 2016. Snow tyres only allowed on any event if it's declared winter conditions. It was cancelled a few years ago due to ice. And has moved from February to March to try to reduce the risk.

J4MIE
11th March 2023, 08:19
Special Stage coverage at https://www.facebook.com/specialstage/videos/745222947138360

Fast Eddie WRC
11th March 2023, 08:20
Nice coverage from Greystoke, switching between Special Stage and Sideways Media.

Fast Eddie WRC
11th March 2023, 08:38
James Williams fastest on the opener !

Fast Eddie WRC
11th March 2023, 08:52
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Fq7jJkMXoAE4CaF?format=jpg&name=large

Fast Eddie WRC
11th March 2023, 10:24
No-one covering Grizedale ? :(

J4MIE
11th March 2023, 10:57
Looks like Cronin was held up behind Serderidis for several miles in SS5. SS6 yet to start due to delegate concerned about too many spectators.
Edit: started 25 mins late.

Fast Eddie WRC
11th March 2023, 11:03
Looks like Cronin was held up behind Serderidis for several miles in SS5. SS6 yet to start due to delegate concerned about too many spectators.

Cronin didn't mention this at the stage end interview... just said it was his first drive in 6 months so took it easy on the icy conditions.

Thanks for the delay update.

Destra quattro
11th March 2023, 11:07
Edit: started 25 mins late.
Cronin 7.48
Serderidis 8.14 ..
Cronin would need a 7.14 to have caught up ..

Fast Eddie WRC
11th March 2023, 11:20
Said he did catch him on one stage.

Serderidis spun 3 times on the Grizedale stages !

Williams spun and punctured too. :(

J4MIE
11th March 2023, 11:25
Williams and Ginley both with punctures SS6

J4MIE
11th March 2023, 11:27
Cronin 7.48
Serderidis 8.14 ..
Cronin would need a 7.14 to have caught up ..

No SS5 results yet....

Destra quattro
11th March 2023, 11:29
My bad that was ss4 ..lost over a minute in 5 he said on brc live

J4MIE
11th March 2023, 11:34
results coming through now showing Fourmaux losing 6.5 mins to Cronin, surely must be a mistake?

Fast Eddie WRC
11th March 2023, 12:20
Yep... results have been corrected and Fourmaux leads Cronin by 28.4s. But his time may be amended as he was held up.

It's all a bit too chaotic to enjoy with stages cancelled and delayed and top drivers being held up and getting punctures.

J4MIE
11th March 2023, 12:38
Don't think they can amend his time due to being held up, this isn't the WRC....
Never seen it done before.

Fast Eddie WRC
11th March 2023, 12:52
BRC Twitter quoted
"Cronin may get some time back after time spent behind the Puma WRC."

Fast Eddie WRC
11th March 2023, 15:24
Fourmaux took the win and a great time on Greystoke 2.

Cronin confirms he didnt get the time back.

Tom206wrc
11th March 2023, 17:46
What happened on Race and Rally Stages event(northern Ireland) :confused:
No results for SS5 and 6 yest :mark:

Up to SS4, Jonny Greer is leading in front of Derek McGarrity and Desi Henry...

Edit: OK, results are back...Greer won in front of Gareth Sayers and McGarrity

HKSjbg
13th March 2023, 08:31
Sideways Media interview with Malcolm Wilson:

https://youtu.be/ffQ3seXHvH4

Sounds like Fourmaux will be contesting the BRC not just the MWR, or at least Malcolm Wilson had plenty of time to deny that was the case :D

Fast Eddie WRC
14th March 2023, 13:57
Snow on Hobcarton recce...

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=656526519810066&id=100063581709816

HKSjbg
14th March 2023, 17:22
The link doesn’t seem to work :(

Fast Eddie WRC
15th March 2023, 09:29
The link doesn’t seem to work :(

Strange. It's a post on https://www.facebook.com/sidewaysmedia.net

I'll quote it:
"Deputy clerk of course for the recent Malcolm Wilson Rally, Martin Taylor, has posted this video from Hobcarton forest, which should have been stage one of the rally. The video was taken on the Friday afternoon as the BRC crews were doing the recce of the stages. A few media colleagues had told us that the stage was impassable, here's the evidence.... We were due to film on this stage. The desicion to cancel the three early stages was the correct decision."

HKSjbg
15th March 2023, 12:17
Strange. It's a post on https://www.facebook.com/sidewaysmedia.net

Thanks for that link. I tried and failed to view it through Safari (I used Ecosia browser for motorsportforums and a few other websites as the format seems to work smoother than Safari) but I could at least see the video preview shot :D

HKSjbg
15th March 2023, 23:12
Malcolm Wilson Rally highlights, also there’s now a dedicated BRC channel on YouTube:

https://youtu.be/89l_V8X-i3s

Steve Boyd
16th March 2023, 00:44
Thanks for that link. I tried and failed to view it through Safari (I used Ecosia browser for motorsportforums and a few other websites as the format seems to work smoother than Safari) but I could at least see the video preview shot :D
Works for me using Firefox & Win11.

Fast Eddie WRC
16th March 2023, 08:50
Malcolm Wilson Rally highlights, also there’s now a dedicated BRC channel on YouTube:

https://youtu.be/89l_V8X-i3s

Funny they say Cronin was "sadly hampered when they caught another car and couldn't pass them..." but no sight or mention of the Puma.

AndyRAC
16th March 2023, 10:25
Funny they say Cronin was "sadly hampered when they caught another car and couldn't pass them..." but no sight or mention of the Puma.

Reminds me of the 1999 BRC opener, the Vauxhall Rally of Wales when the coverage concentrated on the Megane battle between Rowe & Laukkanen; hardly mentioning David Higgins in the GpN Impreza who won the event.

HKSjbg
16th March 2023, 11:52
Spectator info is now on the Rally North Wales website:

http://www.rallynorthwales.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2023/03/RNW-SPECTATOR-DOWNLOAD-2023.pdf

I’m thinking of going if I have time that weekend. Can anybody recommend some good viewpoints from the stage info?

the sniper
16th March 2023, 17:04
Spectator info is now on the Rally North Wales website:

http://www.rallynorthwales.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2023/03/RNW-SPECTATOR-DOWNLOAD-2023.pdf

Rather old school, sensible advise to be clear of the stage 15 minutes before the first competitor is due, only £10 per car, payable on the gate and Dyfnant gets reversed for the second run, I like it!