PDA

View Full Version : 2022 - Race 10 British Grand Prix

F1nKS
22nd June 2022, 02:21
Wolf says Mercedes has defeated porpoising.

Ferrari is challenging the FIA technical directive.

Should be a lot of drama in this next coming week...

airshifter
30th June 2022, 00:02
It will be interesting to see the updates coming for many teams. Some are making claims of major updates, including Williams saying that they expect close to a second in performance. That seems like a stretch, but with every race the teams are gathering data that might point them in the right direction.

There is a chance of showers and light rain on both Saturday and Sunday, though not expected to be heavy. I'd like to see the race in changing conditions myself, as it levels the playing field quite a bit, along with who gets strategy right on setup and stops.

I expect the race at the front to be close, giving the edge to RB. But Merc might be able to pull themselves into it, and I hope they do. The real action will probably me more towards the midfield, and it seems that hub of cars has varied performance one race to the next. I'm sure they are all working hard to make changes and get it right, and hopefully they start clawing into the times closer to the front of the race.

The Black Knight
30th June 2022, 10:02
Hopefully this will be a good race. I expect Mercedes to be very fast in the race but I think they'll probably be around the 4-6 tenths back in qualifying. A lot of it depends very much on the nature of the upgrades and how they work. I think RBR aren't bringing any upgrades to this race. 9 races down the the fight is between Ferrari and RBR.

At the start of the season I thought it was LeClerc's to lose and Ferrari have successfully lost it for him. I can't imagine them being able to come back into the fight now which is a shame for LeClerc because I think he is a better driver than Max and he deserves to be in a team that will deliver him the championship.

Piquets comments I regard as a bit of a nothing burger. Clearly the translation Piquet means was "guy" without any racial intent. To have him banned from the Paddock is nonsense in my opinion.

I still don't like these new rules. I don't think they have really brought anything to F1 and I don't think the races are more exciting than they were last year. It's good to see the FIA are doing something about the bouncing, it was crazy in Baku and all the teams suffered.

Interesting weekend ahead.

F1nKS
30th June 2022, 22:00
It's good to see the FIA are doing something about the bouncing, it was crazy in Baku and all the teams suffered.

The teams will have two races to see where they compare to the "metric" the FIA has set upon and then in France it will be applied. Not sure why the FIA is not transparent and just release the metric to the public.

I will be interested to see who will be the winner and losers.

airshifter
2nd July 2022, 01:48
Loads of updates on the cars, some subtle and some fairly easy to see. RB and Ferrari making changes to the intakes and sidepods, and Alpine with a major shake up. Williams also has a completely different package on Albon's car, I guess no sense in letting Latifi wreck one until it's tested. Merc have less visual change than most, but some subtle stuff.

With FP1 mostly useless, hard to say where the cars really are through FP2. Ferrari seems to have an edge on race sims, but it could well be that RB and Merc just missed the setup a bit more and will improve more tomorrow. Merc seems to have made progress on Ferrari and RB in the long runs, so they might have race pace. As for qually, right now it's really hard to say, but I think it seems to be tipped toward Ferrari.

Some more mid season reg changes with the fuel and now allowing changes to newer spec powertrain items in parc ferme. Both seems kind of out of line for mid season changes, but I'm sure there is some whacko reasoning behind them.

Bagwan
2nd July 2022, 13:56
Harsh on Latifi , Air .
He was a second off Albon , but that was in line with the prediction they had made about the package .
And , since Alex is seen around the paddock as pretty handy with a car , "not so quick" Nic maybe isn't as bad as he seems .
Both struggled , and one still does , with the first Willy spec .

Sorry , but I had to defend the Canuck this time .

Tazio
2nd July 2022, 14:39
'tifi ....like....zow!!

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

Bagwan
2nd July 2022, 15:24
'tifi ....like....zow!!

"Not so quick" Nic goes through to Q3 .
Well , how 'bout dat ?

And , that was in that "second slower" car .
Really nice to see , and a confidence boost for sure .

Nice to see Carlos ponk it on pole as well .
It was sketchy out there .

Hopefully , the Merc boys can make me some FGP points here .

Tazio
2nd July 2022, 15:36
"Not so quick" Nic goes through to Q3 .
Well , how 'bout dat ?

And , that was in that "second slower" car .
Really nice to see , and a confidence boost for sure .

Nice to see Carlos ponk it on pole as well .
It was sketchy out there .

Hopefully , the Merc boys can make me some FGP points here .And hopefully a good haul of points by Norris for fgp, and Fred for general principals.

airshifter
2nd July 2022, 17:52
Harsh on Latifi , Air .
He was a second off Albon , but that was in line with the prediction they had made about the package .
And , since Alex is seen around the paddock as pretty handy with a car , "not so quick" Nic maybe isn't as bad as he seems .
Both struggled , and one still does , with the first Willy spec .

Sorry , but I had to defend the Canuck this time .

It must have been my smack talking him that brought him out of Q1 this session, with Albon out. My jaw hitting the floor gave him the further motivation to make it through Q2. You and your fellow Canadians can thank me in quality beer! :laugh:

Quite the session, with surprising results all around at times. With conditions changing quickly it seemed that just when you thought certain cars and drivers were the ones to beat someone else would destroy their time and have a great lap. It still obviously looks to be RB and Ferrari at the top, but hard to say who might have the advantage in a dry race as is expected tomorrow. I actually hope the reds can get strategy right for a change and give Max a challenge for the win.

Norris has been driving well all weekend, and I imagine that him, Fred, and George might get interesting fairly quickly on track. I think Lewis will be in good shape to keep his position, and maybe even mount a challenge for Perez. Lewis seems to gel with the track and tire calls here, and Perez seems a bit off his pace at Silverstone, so it could create a battle this time around.

Beyond that group, hard to say who the movers will be. Track conditions caught out even the front runners, so race pace vs qually is up in the air.

Great to see Carlos finally plant it on the top step. Though he seemed as surprised as anyone, hopefully it gives him a confidence boost moving forward.

F1nKS
2nd July 2022, 20:05
Interesting qualifying session. Ever changing conditions kept you on the edge of your seats the whole time. Sainz pole setting time was only the 9th best of the session. He hit the track in Q3 at the right time. Should be interesting start with RB and Ferrari locking out the front row.

I really thought Hamilton would find a way to be in the top 3 with wet conditions. Riciardo and Vettel were also disappointing.

Zho seems to be coming into his own. Making good progress as a rookie.

Bagwan
3rd July 2022, 13:27
"It must have been my smack talking him that brought him out of Q1 this session, with Albon out. My jaw hitting the floor gave him the further motivation to make it through Q2. You and your fellow Canadians can thank me in quality beer!"-Air .

Nope .
It was my defending him that did it , obviously , as nobody , yes , nobody , has had any words of defense for the poor lad , ever .

Harsh words don't earn beer .

Well , maybe sometimes , but it would be well shaken first .

Tazio
3rd July 2022, 14:04
Big clocking lap one. Is zow ok?

truefan72
3rd July 2022, 14:08
Big clocking lap one. Is zow ok?

He is out of the car. On a stretcher moving and i think ok

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

truefan72
3rd July 2022, 14:09
I wonder if they are allowed to work on Russell’s car for a pit lane restart

truefan72
3rd July 2022, 14:23
That was 100% gasly’s fault smh
Welll perhaps 80/20 gasly/russell

truefan72
3rd July 2022, 14:28
Wtf is the fia doing?
Resetting the grid????

truefan72
3rd July 2022, 14:30
Madness
Gasly gets rewarded and verstappen alonso and hamilton get demoted???
Does that mean we get 52 laps again?
This is ridiculous

Tazio
3rd July 2022, 14:51
Protesters on the track. Remember this:

https://www.google.com/search?q=defrocked+priest+on+silverstone+track&client=ms-android-tmus-us-revc&prmd=insv&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwipkPix-dz4AhV_KEQIHfAKDakQ_AUoAXoECAIQAQ&biw=376&bih=720&dpr=2.88#imgrc=HDzLbEataJ_4YM&imgdii=edS6a9iDryS1GM

truefan72
3rd July 2022, 16:19
Safety cars continue to be unkind to Hamilton.
No penalty for Perez smh
Once again the Mercedes pitstop cost the driver.
This was a lost opportunity. Without the SC, Hamilton wins this race. Hmmm

Ferrari are a mess.
They actually tried to sabotage sainz.ridiculous.
Good for sainz to blast them.

airshifter
3rd July 2022, 18:22
Fairly crazy race start to finish. Zhou was the result of several cars not giving any room, but is lucky he seems to be ok. They should look at that tire barrier to fence issue though, and maybe see what can be changed there. One thing for sure, he didn't scrub off much speed once upside down. As is usual a few cars that did nothing wrong got mixed up in the mess. Sucks for Williams to have the new spec car trashed at the first race.

Once Max got the damage he might have cost himself with that stop thinking a tire was going down. Though he would have been a sitting duck to the fast cars the RB was still quick enough to fend off most of the midfield.

Ferrari blew it early on IMHO. It was obvious Leclerc was quicker and they let him waste his tires behind Sainz. It ended up coming back to them in the form of a race win, but only with the luck of the safety car involved and the split strategy favored Sainz overall. Hard to say how things would have played out without the SC for Ferrari, but Lewis would have had at least a shot at a win. I'm actually kind of glad that Sainz ignored the radio call to give Leclerc the gap, as it would have just hurt both of them in the long run. Glad he got his win as he really didn't do anything wrong other than being slower than Leclerc, who made his own issue pushing things early in the race.

Once the SC ended it was on up front. Too many passes, repasses, almost passes to keep track of almost. Lewis got the two for one pass and it looked like he might maintain a gap, but it was not to be. Both Checo and Leclerc were fighting hard and it made for some wild laps.

Considering how quickly things went south, RB had a good recovery. Perez got back up in the mix fairly quickly, and things worked out with the SC for him. Max minimized losses after the damage, but that extra stop probably didn't do him any good. Amazing to see both Haas cars in the points, and MSC as lead car. No real shock that Alonso and Vettel made it up into the points, but joined by a Norris who really had a good weekend overall.

F1nKS
3rd July 2022, 19:18
Fun race. Glad to see Sainz get the win. I actually thought Hamilton was going to win it, not sure why his softs didn't work so well at the start. Hamilton still had a nice drive.

Perez had a very nice comeback drive after it looked like his day was ruined.

Nice to see Mick get his first points and Haas get double points. I just wished Haas tried harder.

Not sure what is Ricciardo problem - but Lando just keeps making him look like a wanker.

What I found annoying:

1. Ferrari's strategy - it always so hit and hope. Them telling Sainz to back off 10 car lengths on the restart was so comical.

2. Leclerc usual whining that I'm "faster" - do it on the race track and instead of depending on team orders.

3. Verstappen whining when anything goes wrong. He seemed that he really wanted to quit, but bringing 6 points is better than a DNF. Had he not panicked he might have been in the mix for couple places higher.

4. Stroll - just on the principle. He just rubbed me the wrong way last race when they were congrutlating him for getting points and all he could talk about was how bad the car sucked.

Tazio
3rd July 2022, 21:10
Superior drives by checo, and the Boss

Fred.....brilliant.....simply brilliant!

Brilliant......simply brilliant!

Bagwan
4th July 2022, 15:09
And , nobody is talking about how Not so quick Nic kept it in a points paying position for much of the race , in the old version of the truck .
Or , that he only lost two positions from his starting place , which was way more than was expected of that truck .

I really enjoyed Silverstone this year as I didn't know who was going to win until he did .
I like that .

N. Jones
4th July 2022, 18:51
Fun race. Glad to see Sainz get the win. I actually thought Hamilton was going to win it, not sure why his softs didn't work so well at the start. Hamilton still had a nice drive.

Perez had a very nice comeback drive after it looked like his day was ruined.

Nice to see Mick get his first points and Haas get double points. I just wished Haas tried harder.

Not sure what is Ricciardo problem - but Lando just keeps making him look like a wanker.

What I found annoying:

1. Ferrari's strategy - it always so hit and hope. Them telling Sainz to back off 10 car lengths on the restart was so comical.

2. Leclerc usual whining that I'm "faster" - do it on the race track and instead of depending on team orders.

3. Verstappen whining when anything goes wrong. He seemed that he really wanted to quit, but bringing 6 points is better than a DNF. Had he not panicked he might have been in the mix for couple places higher.

4. Stroll - just on the principle. He just rubbed me the wrong way last race when they were congrutlating him for getting points and all he could talk about was how bad the car sucked.

Agree with most but some notes on a few:

I think Danny Boy is done. He has had flashes but looks so far adrift now.
I read on planetf1.com that it seems every time Ferrari come anywhere near a Michael and Rubens from Austria 2002 situation they hang their heads and hope the situation goes away.

N. Jones
4th July 2022, 18:52
And , nobody is talking about how Not so quick Nic kept it in a points paying position for much of the race , in the old version of the truck .
Or , that he only lost two positions from his starting place , which was way more than was expected of that truck .

I really enjoyed Silverstone this year as I didn't know who was going to win until he did .
I like that .

I think Mick's position will help his career much more that Nic's position will help Nic.

Bagwan
4th July 2022, 21:05
I think Mick's position will help his career much more that Nic's position will help Nic.

Yeah , but folks sometimes say nice things about Mick .
It was an "it's about time" situation .

Did you see how positively freaked out the Willy boys were when Nic got into Q3 ?
They really doubted that he had it in him , and perhaps still did , as it was wet , and timing can be everything .
But , the race was dry , and he got through it all losing only two places .

That's a huge step up , and a confidence boost for him , and some belief for his team as he stepped up when his team mate went out .

Keeping that position for so long in the race means they must have found new direction in set-up that suits him . Hopefully , the new spec will suit him as well , and not set him adrift again .

N. Jones
5th July 2022, 02:10
Yeah, they were happy. But like Stroll, he had more letdowns that surprises.

airshifter
6th July 2022, 00:24
Agree with most but some notes on a few:

I think Danny Boy is done. He has had flashes but looks so far adrift now.
I read on planetf1.com that it seems every time Ferrari come anywhere near a Michael and Rubens from Austria 2002 situation they hang their heads and hope the situation goes away.

As for Riccardo I really like the guy, but something went south in a bad way since he has joined McLaren. Though I think Lando is a very good driver, I don't think he would have beaten the Danny Ric of old so easily and frequently. But I'm sure at this point his chances of staying at McLaren are growing smaller by the day.

Did you see how positively freaked out the Willy boys were when Nic got into Q3 ?
They really doubted that he had it in him , and perhaps still did , as it was wet , and timing can be everything .

That's a huge step up , and a confidence boost for him , and some belief for his team as he stepped up when his team mate went out .

Keeping that position for so long in the race means they must have found new direction in set-up that suits him . Hopefully , the new spec will suit him as well , and not set him adrift again .

Well I haven't had anything nice to say about Mick either! :laugh:

At the end of the day though, I hate to see any of them fail in F1. I think it's much harder for the drivers that start and stay in a lower tier car. They have to somehow boost their confidence and stay positive and hope for the best from conditions, setup, weather, etc to let them make their mark and really stand out. And even the lowest level of drivers is really good compared to the majority of drivers, so it's not like they aren't talented.

But the reality is with such a small field, we all compare them to the guys at the very top of the game.

I'd actually love to see them both doing well on the team. It would be great to see a Williams rebound to bring them into the points on a regular basis.

F1nKS
6th July 2022, 00:26

I think the decision has already been made on Latifi and he is losing his seat.

The Black Knight
6th July 2022, 13:04

He has had plenty of time to show his worth and he hasn't. He's simply not good enough.

I think this was actually a pretty good British GP, although I am kinda getting tired of a safety car being brought out every time someone sneezes on track. It's getting annoying now. There's no reason why a virtual safety car would not have sufficed for Ocon. It's orchestrating the GP. I really would have liked to see where Hamilton would have ended up against the Ferrari's. I think he would have passed Sainz but I have my doubts about LeClerc. We'll never know now.

I know everyone is raving that this is F1 at its best but ultimately it was orchestrated by an unnecessary safety car on track. While it was entertaining the mass number of safety cars are beginning to get irritating.

This was probably the first track however where I felt the new rules added real net benefit versus last years rules from a racing point of view and I don't think DRS was necessarily needed in this race either to aid over takes.

Delighted for Sainz. He's a brilliant driver and more than deserved his first GP win.

Mick Schumacher is beginning to show his worth now. What a battle with Verstappen. It was the first time he has shown what he can in F1. Hopefully it continues for him but he still has to get on top of qualifying, so a bit to go yet.

Looking forward to Austria this weekend.

Bagwan
6th July 2022, 15:09

You're likely right about that , but having a little success couldn't hurt his chances .
He did not look like the same guy at all .

Bagwan
8th July 2022, 11:36
Like Max , not so quick Nic also had floor damage at the end , from a tangle with T9 curbing , but he only lost 2 places , so , you could say he did better than the Dutchman .

Firstgear
8th July 2022, 13:58
Does that prove that collisions at slower speeds cause less damage? :D