PDA

View Full Version : 2022 - Race 9 Canada

F1nKS
12th June 2022, 18:50
Quick turnaround as F1 travels to Canada. No rest and recovery for Hamilton and his back.

The last time the Canada Grand Prix was run it was a battle between Hamilton (1), Vettel (2), and Leclerc (3). Bottas and Max trailed significantly.

Riciardo had a pretty good result for Renault. Perez didn't do so well.

Perez will probably need a Max DNF and a win to get back into the championship hunt.

Leclerc needs Sainz to take out Max and Checo.

airshifter
12th June 2022, 19:53
That Merc sure looks hard on the driver without a doubt. The amount of bottoming is probably brutal on a bumpy track.

Canada does seem to give us some strange races at times, and I hope this year is no exception. It's a decent track with some variety so usually more fun to watch than a lot of other tracks IMO.

As for Sainz taking out Max and Checo, usually his qually performance puts him in the perfect position for a Bottas double elimination torpedo.

Speaking of Sainz, I think he is just out of the game mentally now. During the walk back to the pits after the Baku retirement he lust looked in another world, kind of that stare of disbelief. I hope he comes to grips with things soon, but it seems to be really taking a toll on him.

Mark
13th June 2022, 17:27
Let's go from a street track that is bumpy and beats up the drivers. To a park track that's bumpy and beats up the drivers. Good luck everyone!

airshifter
14th June 2022, 01:52
Let's go from a street track that is bumpy and beats up the drivers. To a park track that's bumpy and beats up the drivers. Good luck everyone!

At least the straights aren't as long, and the Merc drivers shouldn't get beat up as much!

F1nKS
17th June 2022, 03:35
FIA is planning on taking action

The FIA has today issued a technical directive to teams advising them it will conduct more detailed inspections of the designs of their cars’ floors and how they wear during sessions.

It also promised to set a limit on the vertical movement of cars, to prevent drivers experiencing an unacceptably painful ride and risking injury.

I interpret to mean that if a team does not meet their vertical movement specification (whatever that may be), the offending team will have to adjust their ride height so they are within limits and take the associated performance hit. This could have a significant impact on the mid-field.

airshifter
17th June 2022, 22:15
FIA is planning on taking action

I interpret to mean that if a team does not meet their vertical movement specification (whatever that may be), the offending team will have to adjust their ride height so they are within limits and take the associated performance hit. This could have a significant impact on the mid-field.

Hard to say how this will pan out. Today in FP2 Sainz seemed to still have a lot more porpoising than Max or Charles, but until we know how and where the set the limits it's anybody's guess really. My understanding was the same as yours from what I've seen. If they exceed limits they will have to raise the car 10mm, and if it still exceeds limits it can result in a DQ. All the conspiracy theories are already flying around, but in reality this was brought on by teams probably hoping they could just force rules changes quickly.

It seems the directive has short and longer term goals already targeted, with team and driver input involved at some point. Allowing major rules changes such as suspension would be hard, since there are budget caps. And it could penalize the teams who are closer to having it right now, with them possibly having to change aero along with suspension. Only time will tell.

Right now through FP2, it looks as though Max and the Ferrari's are strong. Ferrari, Alpine, and Mclaren are the only teams with both drivers in the top 10. Seb and Gasly made it up there as well. It looks like both Perez and Hamilton are struggling vs their respective team mates. It seems that the new TD might already be shaking things up a bit.

Bagwan
18th June 2022, 12:31
This has some real potential to be crazy messy to regulate .

How do you measure this when it's happening at 180+mph ?

Are you out if the suspension does not allow you to raise the required 10mm ?
What happens if raising it that much gives you a different issue ?

It sounds too complicated to me .
I would rather see some sort of G-meter in the car , recording the repetitive aspect of the phenomenon .
I heard that they were experiencing 8-Gs here , and that is too much .

If they were to exceed a specific limit for a specific number of repeated hits , they could be asked to make it stop with a method they so choose .
They may do so by raising the ride height , but are not forced to do so if they can make it stop some other way .

It seems they are flying too close to the sun , and they could use a light meter .

Tazio
18th June 2022, 17:08
Dawgz! It's nasty in Montreal

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

Tazio
18th June 2022, 18:38
Looks like Mc'Zo is on it. I hope he keeps it going2287

F1nKS
18th June 2022, 19:54

Likely they would measure it with an accelerometer located near the driver seat. The can convert the acceleration to displacement. They can also choose to filter certain frequency components out if needed. The trick will be filtering stuff out like hitting curbs, or bumps from the porpoising. Could be tricky depending on what the porpoising frequency is. But I suppose they could just use the high speed straights and exclude everthing else.

Tazio
18th June 2022, 20:16
Ba-bye gas, and seb. :Wave:

Tazio
18th June 2022, 20:20
Sainz may be in trouble for blocking Oc'

Tazio
18th June 2022, 20:27
Checo :dork:

Tazio
18th June 2022, 21:10
Brilliant by M Fred, and not bad for 'stappen either. ;)

airshifter
19th June 2022, 01:44
This has some real potential to be crazy messy to regulate .

Are you out if the suspension does not allow you to raise the required 10mm ?
What happens if raising it that much gives you a different issue ?

It sounds too complicated to me .
I would rather see some sort of G-meter in the car , recording the repetitive aspect of the phenomenon .
I heard that they were experiencing 8-Gs here , and that is too much .

If they were to exceed a specific limit for a specific number of repeated hits , they could be asked to make it stop with a method they so choose .
They may do so by raising the ride height , but are not forced to do so if they can make it stop some other way .

It seems they are flying too close to the sun , and they could use a light meter .

From my understanding so far, they will use sensors already on the cars, and the only real solution is to raise ride height at that point since major suspension changes are unlikely to happen in quick time. The idea is that the teams limit it before the FIA intervenes, so the ride height change is only a last measure to allow them to race that weekend really.

I guess we'll have to see how it works out. I think they decided it won't be used this weekend, but they were more or less sending a strong signal to the teams that they sort it out or have the limits sort it out for them.

Hard to say what they will come up with for impact force, amplitude, number of impacts, etc. I'm sure they will have some input based on sports medicine types and those that understand these things better than most of us. If they come up with reasonable limits, I don't think it will be hard to regulate. Data will be streaming off the cars, and if you exceed limits you must change ride height or risk DQ.

airshifter
19th June 2022, 01:49
Brilliant by M Fred, and not bad for 'stappen either. ;)

Fred was pushing the whole time, and it's amazing that he got that Alpine up there. At the end of Q2 the last corner was more or less full lock sliding, but he stayed in it. Great to see him rewarded with a front row start and he might be a thorn in the side of the cars behind.

Wildest qually in a while. With the conditions changing that quick anyone could be caught out if they just didn't keep putting in laps.

Lewis back up near the front, and Sainz put in a good lap as well. Both Haas cars in the top 10 is just amazing really. Ocon being in there speaks well for Alpine in the wet as well. Props for George for having a pair large enough to try the slicks, even though it all went bad.

Now for the race, we see who set up for what, and how it all shakes out. It could be interesting.

Starc
19th June 2022, 07:26
It's going to be interesting competition for them.

fiscorpun
19th June 2022, 17:09
Go Leclerc.... =[

Tazio
19th June 2022, 18:10
'eco!:dork:

Tazio
19th June 2022, 18:33
Dawgz.. Why alpine keep Fred out. Soooooo pubic

Tazio
19th June 2022, 19:06
'rari !

airshifter
20th June 2022, 00:19
A lot of strange results due to strategy today, including during the VSC and safety car periods.

Alonso ended up being hung out to dry without having pitted, and then at the end gets nailed which drops him behind the Alfa Romeo cars. Ocon still had a decent race, though I'm not sure if he was holding up Fred and causing the wild defense trying to keep the position. Both the Alfa Romeo cars ended up doing well in the end. Both Mercs had solid drives, and for a change Merc made the right pit calls and took advantage when they could, resulting in a podium again. George got up to Lewis without much problem overall, but Lewis had the pace to stay ahead unless something went south. The great qually from Haas all went to crap really quickly for KMag, and took a bit longer for Mick. But Checo had a failure as well, and with the failure rate of the cars this year reliability could end up being a big factor.

Leclerc really kind of had his race go south with the DRS train and trying to get by the slower cars caught in the train. I think Ferrari might have had a chance to mix up strategy but all things considered he had a good race.

Up front, both Max and Sainz drove good races, and in the end it looked like Carlos might have a chance at the RB. But Max was wiley and just kept the gap when it mattered, and even with DRS couldn't quite hunt down the RB.

Overall not a bad race for Canada, but not one of the greatest either. At least the DRS didn't allow for too many easy passes, and it seems that setup choices are critical again.

Bagwan
20th June 2022, 14:32
I was sad to see Alonso get clipped for weaving .

While it didn't look pretty from Bottas's on-board , the early moves looked like Fred looking to deny the tow down the straight to his rival , after a crappy exit out of the hairpin .

More than one move in the braking zone is not allowed , but did he move more than once when they got there ?
I'm not so sure , but I guess I'll have to watch it again .

It was a fun race to watch .
If either red car had grip out of slow corners , the bulls would have been in trouble .

sgr
21st June 2022, 15:57
Lewis driving in third got a master class in how to defend against a car with newer tyres just after the safety car.;)

airshifter
24th June 2022, 00:04
I was sad to see Alonso get clipped for weaving .

While it didn't look pretty from Bottas's on-board , the early moves looked like Fred looking to deny the tow down the straight to his rival , after a crappy exit out of the hairpin .

More than one move in the braking zone is not allowed , but did he move more than once when they got there ?
I'm not so sure , but I guess I'll have to watch it again .

It was a fun race to watch .
If either red car had grip out of slow corners , the bulls would have been in trouble .

I think Alonso deserved that one. It reached a point where Bottas was close and gaining a two, and he was still moving. I'm not sure but I suspect it was the moving on the straight that really got him in trouble, as the corner entry move seemed fair. But nobody can say Alonso doesn't try hard!

And I agree on where Ferrari was in terms of limits. It just seemed the RB worked in the right areas to keep Sainz behind. I hope we see more of this cat and mouse game through the season, with Ferrari coming out on top some. And I think Merc has a real chance of getting back closer to the fight, and hopefully in it, as well.

Helopant
16th August 2023, 14:33
It's always a blast to reminisce about past races, isn't it? The Canada Grand Prix has had its fair share of intense moments. That battle between Hamilton, Vettel, and Leclerc in the previous race was definitely a highlight!
Canada holds a special spot in my heart. I remember my first visit to Toronto – what an incredible city! I was so smitten that I eventually made it home.
If anyone's still exploring Toronto, https://ontariosbest.ca/ is a gem for finding articles about the city's attractions and events. It's like your personal insider guide to the city.