PDA

View Full Version : 2022 - Race 7 Monaco

F1nKS
23rd May 2022, 00:07
Quick turnaround with Monaco.

Maybe the unluckiness of the DNF for Leclerc in Spain will reverse his luck in Monaco. Ferrari should have a significant qualifying advantage here.

The sleeper might be Mercedes here for the win. It is clear they made a significant jump this week. If they can somehow pull out a great qualifying lap, it could set the stage for them to get their first win of the season.

airshifter
23rd May 2022, 06:24
Merc made big leaps in Spain, and they might have a fair shot at Monaco. But the Ferrari cars sure do stick well out of the tight corners, and I'm sure Leclerc would like to win at his home race. With Max now in the WDC lead we know he isn't going to lay down either.

Bagwan
25th May 2022, 20:32
We always seem to have the press activate the "should we be holding a race in such a place ?" debate when they go to Monaco , but all the drivers talk mistily about the history of the place , wanting to join those who have braved it .

I love it , myself , even though it's often a procession .
Running close to the walls is essential , and cool as hell to watch .

Luck can kiss or kick anyone because of those same walls , so it can be a cruel place sometimes , but a few of them can make magic happen more than once , so it's not essential .

It exposes the essential truth that F1 drivers are , indeed , capable of staying inside the lines that denote the limits of the track , at least when you stick a wall and/or armco behind it .

We've got three teams , potentially , in the hunt now , which kinda rocks , as well .
Mind you , if Lewis doesn't get over here soon so I can hack-saw at his nose stud , I cannot be held responsible for what happens .

airshifter
26th May 2022, 00:32
Bagwan,

I am also one of the ones who questions the course still being on the calendar, even those there are those aspects you speak of that makes me like it in a way. Those tight walls, the tunnel, the history are all great aspects and it's a tough course for the drivers. It's just the lack of real passing opportunity that dulls it for me.

I hope Merc can stay up in the fight with the updates. It would be great to see more cars that are capable. As for Lewis, I hope they just don't let him race if he doesn't comply. Nobody is bigger than the sport, and it's just a game to him.

Bagwan
26th May 2022, 13:37
Bagwan,

I am also one of the ones who questions the course still being on the calendar, even those there are those aspects you speak of that makes me like it in a way. Those tight walls, the tunnel, the history are all great aspects and it's a tough course for the drivers. It's just the lack of real passing opportunity that dulls it for me.

I hope Merc can stay up in the fight with the updates. It would be great to see more cars that are capable. As for Lewis, I hope they just don't let him race if he doesn't comply. Nobody is bigger than the sport, and it's just a game to him.

I understand , Shifter , about the lack of passing , but it does happen , and has , though rarely in recent years , even though they couldn't follow closely with the wide wake .
Now that's gone , it could improve a lot in places like the bus stop , for instance . There will be way more moves there , for sure I would think .

I guess some of my love for Monaco comes from that Senna on-board footage , and some from the "good old days" of racing with my buddies on a sim game that really had the scale right , and getting what I felt like was some of that same feeling of "running in a tunnel" all the way around , of which Ayrton spoke .

It's one of those first few races I ever saw on TV , on "Wide World of Sports" , as a kid on the couch , and it cemented the sport into my life .

Ask the Trophy wife what race is on this weekend and she'd reply with a "Monaco , baby!" , so she definitely has the bug , too .

Bagwan
28th May 2022, 12:38
Did I read that there's a forecast of rain on Sunday ?

That would mean that Latifi could "Maldonado" his way to victory tomorrow .
Anyone could .

truefan72
28th May 2022, 14:20
What a stupid red flag. That marshal needs to be removed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Black Knight
28th May 2022, 14:54
What a stupid red flag. That marshal needs to be removed

Actually not watching it. I find myself less interested in F1 these days. The new rules are a complete failure and there's a fake world champion.

There are red flags for scratching my mickey nowadays. Not the F1 I grew up watching.

truefan72
28th May 2022, 15:01
Ridiculous Q3 session. Oh well

truefan72
28th May 2022, 15:02
Actually not watching it. I find myself less interested in F1 these days. The new rules are a complete failure and there's a fake world champion.

There are red flags for scratching my mickey nowadays. Not the F1 I grew up watching.

Yup

Tazio
28th May 2022, 16:35
With rain in the forecast I'm really looking forward to this race. It could come down to who puts the wet/dry tires on at the optimum timehttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20220528/c0944dcb319a176d98d028b3156d0371.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20220528/7ba0c209d59f916c623f96a6a2b025f3.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

Zico
28th May 2022, 17:35

It's sad that yourself and Truefan feel that way.. and that Nitrodaze has pretty much dissapeared off the radar completely.
A lot of us non fair weather fans have continued to enjoy the sport throughout the years even when our preferred drivers weren't winning... and also after the much prefered N/A's were canned.
If you watched for the spectacle rather than who is or isn't winning you might learn to enjoy it again.
Its always difficult being a Lattifi fan and I might have a grumble about some incidents but regardless of who wins, I nearly always enjoy it if the racing and spectacle has been up there... and it usually is.

Hang in there, you never know, Merc may well get back in the mix and start winning races again soon... and believe it or not... that's something I'd really love to see happening too... well as long as they don't become a dominant force again. ;)

Bagwan
28th May 2022, 18:24

I get why you feel "there's a fake world champion" , but how are the new rules a "complete failure" ?
I'm not sure we got much explanation for the Tsunoda red flag .
Maybe a simple mistake , and maybe he should be removed , but the Monaco stewards are some of the best , so there might have been a legit reason .

Either way , it shouldn't be enough reason to tip you over the edge , Shirley .

As for "mickey scratching" , I'm glad they seem to have moved away from showing the driver "junk adjustment" as they stepped into the cars we've often seen in the last few years .
I don't need to see that .
That was something that almost made me stop watching .

As for the Perez crash , I think it saved Chuck from himself .
He already had pole , and had every chance of stuffing it into the wall , potentially missing the race entirely .
Checo did him a favour .

airshifter
28th May 2022, 21:36
Well that's two years in a row that we don't really know who might have banged out another quicker lap. I'm not sure if RB had anything for Leclerc, but they might have got Sainz IMHO. The reds seem well planted most of the weekend, so no big surprise they were up front.

Checo has been on fire this weekend, maybe being told to move at the last race really has stirred him up. Either way he's driving well, and will start in front of Max. I'd hate to see RB swap them on track, but tend to think it will happen if Checo is still 3rd after the pit stops.

Both Alpines and Mercs in the top 10, and Lando being Lando and pulling that car up the grid, as well as Seb doing what he could with that beast of a car.

I still don't get what triggered the red flag when Yuki hit the wall, but once it's out I guess they essentially have to respect it and restart.

Rain would be fantastic if you ask me. It might end the procession of cars on track when mistakes are forced, and pit strategies might come more into play as well. Let's hope.

As for the new rules, the cars are already within about a second of quickest qually, so hardly a failure in my book. It's inevitable that the cars will be slowed the first couple of years into new regs. And who knows, maybe they can actually pass on more tracks these days.

truefan72
29th May 2022, 12:58
New race directors just as bad as Masi. WTF is this??? Just start the race on inters and go from there. Why the delay? Why the formation lap? This is just stupid. Pathetic

truefan72
29th May 2022, 13:18
They are just neutering the racing. They could have had at least 10 laps and things and positions would have changed as drivers would have actually passed etc. Then the red flag could have come. But they seem determined to not even have the opportunity for some racing in the wet and instead hope for a 70lap procession. This is just shambolic

Tazio
29th May 2022, 13:29
WTF...........Why, why, why, why, why! This is so pubic!
Just race dawgz

truefan72
29th May 2022, 13:34
Lol look at RBR. Horner Marko and all with Verstappen. Nobody with Checo. These images say everything about how RBR run their team.

truefan72
29th May 2022, 13:36
WTF...........Why, why, why, why, why! This is so pubic!
Just race dawgz

Yup. It is a travesty. Probably not even going to see the end of the race IRT as i got places to be. Sun is now out and we are still not racing. What a fiasco

Tazio
29th May 2022, 13:42
Yup. It is a travesty. Probably not even going to see the end of the race IRT as i got places to be. Sun is now out and we are still not racing. What a fiasco

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkThis is pathetic. It's turned into a freaking sh#t show

truefan72
29th May 2022, 13:54
This is pathetic. It's turned into a freaking sh#t show

Race management is a joke for now 2 years running. It was a farce at the last race of 2021 and it has been a joke at this race. I thought this os F1 and not some amateur karting club event. What a mess

truefan72
29th May 2022, 14:02
Right on schedule…a latifi incident

truefan72
29th May 2022, 14:03
And stroll. The worst 2 drivers on the grid

Tazio
29th May 2022, 14:04
'tifi and strll already clocked

Tazio
29th May 2022, 14:19
'tifi

Tazio
29th May 2022, 14:46
Shu' clocker

gm99
29th May 2022, 14:55
Mick is lucky yet again to avoid serious injury in a crash. Maybe it's time to call it a day for his racing career before he kills himself.

truefan72
29th May 2022, 15:21
Pathetic by alpine. Very pathetic. Both ocon and alonso. Very shameful strategy. Fia should intervene for excessive slow driving

truefan72
29th May 2022, 15:22
Another reason the monaco track is useless

truefan72
29th May 2022, 15:30
I’m honestly shocked at the vile strategy of alonso and alpine. This is not racing. This is very shameful. Ot is like they are targeting Hamilton on purpose. For what?

Tazio
29th May 2022, 15:36
Alonso train.....Toot toot!!

Tazio
29th May 2022, 15:41
Fastest lap for Fred. Classic strategy!

Tazio
29th May 2022, 15:48
Checo train. Zow!!

N. Jones
29th May 2022, 17:35
And stroll. The worst 2 drivers on the grid

I'd like this twice if I could.

N. Jones
29th May 2022, 17:36
I will never watch a season without Monaco on the calendar.

F1nKS
29th May 2022, 20:27
Great job by Checo and Red Bull. if Checo can have another great weekend, then this could legitimately be a three-way title fight.

Alonso showed why Monico should not be on the race calendar. Just holding people up just because he could. The Monaco tv people were also having their usual issues. If Formula 1 does renew, I hope they make them pay, and take back the rights to producing the TV coverage. Miami really already proved just in their first year they can draw more celebrities and actually have racing. So if they choose not to renew - Miami is the new Monaco.

The rain tried to give Monaco a possible epic race - but the FIA soon fixed that by delaying, and delaying and delaying. Of course, they probably would have had to stop the race at some point when the heaviest cell came through, but it took away any uncertainty for the teams dealing with any strategy.

The only drama of course was Ferrari and their strategy. Nothing like Ferrari looking at a gift horse in the mouth and seizing defeat from the jaws of victory.

I don't like Ocon much, but the 5-second penalty for wheel-to-wheel racing with Hamilton is just stupid.

Zico
29th May 2022, 20:40
I will never watch a season without Monaco on the calendar.

Me neither... I totally get why some think its outdated but for me it has too much history, the sensation of speed is unparralled plus it offers something very different.
Miami replacing it?.. No thanks.

Tazio
29th May 2022, 22:57
Great job by Checo and Red Bull. if Checo can have another great weekend, then this could legitimately be a three-way title fight.

Alonso showed why Monico should not be on the race calendar. Just holding people up just because he could. The Monaco tv people were also having their usual issues. If Formula 1 does renew, I hope they make them pay, and take back the rights to producing the TV coverage. Miami really already proved just in their first year they can draw more celebrities and actually have racing. So if they choose not to renew - Miami is the new Monaco.

The rain tried to give Monaco a possible epic race - but the FIA soon fixed that by delaying, and delaying and delaying. Of course, they probably would have had to stop the race at some point when the heaviest cell came through, but it took away any uncertainty for the teams dealing with any strategy.

The only drama of course was Ferrari and their strategy. Nothing like Ferrari looking at a gift horse in the mouth and seizing defeat from the jaws of victory.

I don't like Ocon much, but the 5-second penalty for wheel-to-wheel racing with Hamilton is just stupid.'Zo was on the medium, and 'The Boss" was on hard. Fred worked very hard to keep life in his tires.

It was genius defense

Brilliant!!

airshifter
30th May 2022, 06:15
I’m honestly shocked at the vile strategy of alonso and alpine. This is not racing. This is very shameful. Ot is like they are targeting Hamilton on purpose. For what?

Give it a rest. Hamilton can play victim for himself, and it's not the first time to fail to understand why a racing driver (Alonso) would want to keep another racing driver (Hamilton) behind him. That's why it's called racing, and Alpine isn't in it for improving Hamilton's race.

I don't like Ocon much, but the 5-second penalty for wheel-to-wheel racing with Hamilton is just stupid.

Ferrari did blow it without doubt. I'm shocked really that Leclerc pitted for inters when the track was drying up so quick. Though he had out driven Sainz this year, at least Carlos has the presence of mind to say it would be better to go straight to slicks. Though thy almost screwed up and pitted him too early, in the end it worked out for him.

As for the Ocon penalty, I didn't even see anything close to a penalty happen on track. I'm wondering if there was an incident they didn't show, or if they were just responding to the whining by Lewis.

'Zo was on the medium, and 'The Boss" was on hard. Fred worked very hard to keep life in his tires.

It was genius defense

Brilliant!!

Yep, just Fred showing how easy it is to keep life in the tires and bring a possible advantage back his way if light rain came. When it looked like that was out of the question he used what he had left and took off.

Overall not a bad race for Monaco. I'd still a bit ticked off that they delayed so long, and they could have started the race earlier for sure. That one period might have stopped the race, but then again maybe they were expecting it earlier or longer. But it was enough delay that I'm glad I watched it later in the day so I could skip all that delay.

Happy for Checo. He's upped his game and though his spin yesterday might have changed the qually order, he made the best of it today when it mattered. Though it probably wasn't all that hard, he did at least have to defend towards race end, and did it cleanly and without drama. If he can keep it up long term it might be a three way title fight if Leclerc has any reliability issues or big mistakes in future races. But for now he's helping RB with good finishes and WCC points.

That snap by Sainz on the front straight was a good catch and nearly a race ending try if you ask me. That happened so quick that from the angle they were showing I thought there was contact at first. But good save.

Once the stops cycled, the usual Monaco nothing to see here race really. Alonso backed that whole field up and showed just how easy it is to keep someone behind. Russell was like a ghost, just quietly staying there in 5th with no drama and getting another top 5 finish. I guess Lando got close at the end but close doesn't usually work at Monaco. All things considered both Bottas and Seb had quiet drives for ending up in the top 10 as well.

ETA: Seeing that Haas broken in half like that really had me worried for Mick. Glad he walked away from things after that. I suspect his days may be numbered if he keeps trashing so much hardware, at least I'm hoping so.

F1nKS
30th May 2022, 16:17
As for the Ocon penalty, I didn't even see anything close to a penalty happen on track. I'm wondering if there was an incident they didn't show, or if they were just responding to the whining by Lewis.

I went and looked at the FIA documents, it was in response to Hamilton whining.

Bagwan
31st May 2022, 14:27
'Zo was on the medium, and 'The Boss" was on hard. Fred worked very hard to keep life in his tires.

It was genius defense

Brilliant!!

When asked about how hard it was to Keep Lewis behind him , he replied with "Very easy , extremely easy ."

Then , when asked , he took off like a scalded cat .
A very clever cat is Alonso .

Bagwan
31st May 2022, 14:38
"ETA: Seeing that Haas broken in half like that really had me worried for Mick. Glad he walked away from things after that. I suspect his days may be numbered if he keeps trashing so much hardware, at least I'm hoping so."
-Shifter

That scared me for a few minutes , too , as they took a while before we got those startling pictures of the car in the first place .
Then , when we did , having it in two pieces was a pretty jarring .

I really hope Mick can smooth it out .
A wet Monaco is maybe not the best place to judge him , though .
And , an Aussie stuffed it in there as well , in the dry .

Tazio
31st May 2022, 16:03
When asked about how hard it was to Keep Lewis behind him , he replied with "Very easy , extremely easy ."

Then , when asked , he took off like a scalded cat .
A very clever cat is Alonso .This guy Fred, he is a rather clever fellow!

Tazio
1st June 2022, 00:55
Sorry!!
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20220601/456d8fa60a45b705c06f69862f824983.jpg

denkimi
1st June 2022, 16:44
I really hope Mick can smooth it out .
A wet Monaco is maybe not the best place to judge him , though .
And , an Aussie stuffed it in there as well , in the dry .
A wet monaco is perhaps the single best place to judge someone's talent.

Bagwan
1st June 2022, 20:15
A wet monaco is perhaps the single best place to judge someone's talent.

Yeah , you're right about that , and I should have been clearer in my point .

It's about him being the son of the "regenmeister" who won Monaco multiple times , and the extra pressure that brings with it .

More stuff goes on in my head than makes it to the keyboard sometimes .
Sorry about that .

Tazio
6th June 2022, 03:39
A wet monaco is perhaps the single best place to judge someone's talent.Speaking of which:. I wouldn't be surprised if McMick, 'tifi, and 'troll are already toast. Well a little for Stro' considering pop's position

F1nKS
10th June 2022, 05:09
Interesting the truth actually has come out why the race was delayed at Monaco, and it wasn't because of the weather. There was a loss of power to the starting lights. So the FIA delayed the start of the race in hopes to get it fixed, and ended up deciding there was too many risks of it not working so they started behind the safety car.

Zico
10th June 2022, 07:33
Interesting the truth actually has come out why the race was delayed at Monaco, and it wasn't because of the weather. There was a loss of power to the starting lights. So the FIA delayed the start of the race in hopes to get it fixed, and ended up deciding there was too many risks of it not working so they started behind the safety car.

I tried to say about this at the time when you guys were getting upset with the race not starting.. I had written a big post but my crappy phone crashed before I could hit post.
Apologies for not trying again after the reboot. :/

The Black Knight
14th June 2022, 11:27
It's sad that yourself and Truefan feel that way.. and that Nitrodaze has pretty much dissapeared off the radar completely.
A lot of us non fair weather fans have continued to enjoy the sport throughout the years even when our preferred drivers weren't winning... and also after the much prefered N/A's were canned.
If you watched for the spectacle rather than who is or isn't winning you might learn to enjoy it again.
Its always difficult being a Lattifi fan and I might have a grumble about some incidents but regardless of who wins, I nearly always enjoy it if the racing and spectacle has been up there... and it usually is.

Hang in there, you never know, Merc may well get back in the mix and start winning races again soon... and believe it or not... that's something I'd really love to see happening too... well as long as they don't become a dominant force again. ;)

It's nothing to do with Mercedes not winning. I am glad LeClerc is doing well as I am a big fan. I think he's one of the best drivers I've ever witnessed and I was watching him for a long time before he even entered F2. It's really due to what happened in Abu Dhabi. I find it very hard to watch a sport that not alone prioritized entertainment over fairness but also failed rectify their mistake afterwards. I've seen a lot of things in the sport over the years I can get over but was not in favor of, such as Karthikeyan being given a penalty in Malaysia when Vettel swiped across him and other stupid incidents or decisions from incompetent stewards. What I find very hard to swallow is an FIA official orchestrating a championship finish and the deserving champion losing out. If Verstappen had been leading in Abu Dhabi I would feel the same way, even though I am really not a fan of his. I'm still watching F1 but my love of it died a little last year.

As I said in the other thread, while DRS is still needed the new rules are a failure.