PDA

View Full Version : [WRC] Rally Finland 2022

Pages : 1 [2] 3

Lead
5th August 2022, 10:18
You could see from onboards that there was also spectators standing very close to the road in previous stage as well.
A lot of spectators nowadays think of themselves as next Fellini.... and because of them, suffers everyone.

Myrvold
5th August 2022, 10:24
Solberg interview:

https://www.ewrc-results.com/video/41788-solberg-crash-and-interview-rally-finland-2022/

Raw emotions, hard to watch and listen to.
Actually a bit surprised that he agreed to do the interview there and then.

AnttiL
5th August 2022, 10:28
You could see from onboards that there was also spectators standing very close to the road in previous stage as well.
A lot of spectators nowadays think of themselves as next Fellini.... and because of them, suffers everyone.

I noticed the same, for example Lappi's crash corner in Laukaa was crowded with people close to road. And because of Kalle's success and two years gone with no summer rally, it has been VERY popular.

But stages are not cancelled easily, it always involves first some operations from the safety car and if the spectators don't believe what Mouton says, this is what happens.

AnttiL
5th August 2022, 10:37
https://twitter.com/HartusvuoriWRC/status/1555504586688962565?s=20&t=tNMWUpBoIzAH-lymRqqS9w

EstWRC
5th August 2022, 10:40
Ott is purely crazy….

TypeR
5th August 2022, 10:43
https://twitter.com/HartusvuoriWRC/status/1555504586688962565?s=20&t=tNMWUpBoIzAH-lymRqqS9w

Not justifying these dumbass ,,fans'', but sending people off from correct places/behind the lines doesn't help either..

M3 Jambo
5th August 2022, 10:47

I would have though twice about releasing the interview!

wyler
5th August 2022, 10:54

don't think he really agreed...
he's young and visibly upset. he just talked to a guy he knows...not thinking about "the interview" in the slightest for me.

rallyfiend
5th August 2022, 10:55

He's sponsored by DirtFish....

wyler
5th August 2022, 10:56
Not justifying these dumbass ,,fans'', but sending people off from correct places/behind the lines doesn't help either..

witnessed lots of times that lines and correct places are not always the same! : )

Myrvold
5th August 2022, 11:01
I would have though twice about releasing the interview!

don't think he really agreed...
he's young and visibly upset. he just talked to a guy he knows...not thinking about "the interview" in the slightest for me.

I didn't really dare to write that, but the latter part of wyler's post rings true. There are a few things that is being said, that doesn't sound like someone doing an interview, but just talking to someone about. Even after the interview is done, it just continues.

There's a fine line between close interviews, top access and giving space and maybe holding off.

Fast Eddie WRC
5th August 2022, 11:28
Solberg is very emotional anyway. He was in tears at winning a Rallycross event a few weeks ago.

Eli
5th August 2022, 11:30
And he’ll still be in this car in a fortnight in Ypres…someone up there in Hyundai need to seriously wake up, unless they don’t mind spending extra cash on fixing all his wrecked cars.

Sergiow
5th August 2022, 11:35
That’s disappointing, the longest stage of the rally cancelled.

And even more disappointing for Tänak and Lappi since they could potentially benefit much from Rovenperä cleaning the longest stage. The stars are once again much aligned for Kalle this year. He is clearly the best and the fastest but with Rally a big chunck of luck is involved too

Dontcut
5th August 2022, 11:37
Harju stage All Live coverage is disappointing.

Sergiow
5th August 2022, 11:45
And he’ll still be in this car in a fortnight in Ypres…someone up there in Hyundai need to seriously wake up, unless they don’t mind spending extra cash on fixing all his wrecked cars.

Someone there in Hyundai needs to think about retiring the 3rd car for the remainder of the year and let Ott & Thierry continue their precious fight against the windmills until that is sorted out. Only with a serious quality Hyundai they can start again with the 3rd car instead of chewing up young talents and spare parts

240RS
5th August 2022, 12:40
MSport Ford have been vocal about Pre-Event tests, but from early Friday results it does seem that the lack of top draw drivers is the real issue.

Breen is where one would expect him to be, and both Frenchmen are still exhibiting signs of not being anywhere near the top. Gus, on the other hand, has been underwhelming since Monte.

seb_sh
5th August 2022, 12:57
And even more disappointing for Tänak and Lappi since they could potentially benefit much from Rovenperä cleaning the longest stage. The stars are once again much aligned for Kalle this year. He is clearly the best and the fastest but with Rally a big chunck of luck is involved too

Seems the luck went from Loeb to Ogier to Rovanperä.

MSport Ford have been vocal about Pre-Event tests, but from early Friday results it does seem that the lack of top draw drivers is the real issue.

Breen is where one would expect him to be, and both Frenchmen are still exhibiting signs of not being anywhere near the top. Gus, on the other hand, has been underwhelming since Monte.

Indeed the car seems good as Loeb showed but as always with MSport they don't have money to pay a top driver.

AnttiL
5th August 2022, 13:01
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FZZjeQ6XwAETXo9?format=jpg&name=small
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FZZj8M3WQAIWnVp?format=jpg&name=large

Maybe it was a good idea to cancel Lankamaa 2.

mousti
5th August 2022, 13:02
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FZZjeQ6XwAETXo9?format=jpg&name=small
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FZZj8M3WQAIWnVp?format=jpg&name=large

Maybe it was a good idea to cancel Lankamaa 2.Is that a steward?

Verstuurd vanaf mijn 2201123G met Tapatalk

AnttiL
5th August 2022, 13:13
Good question. Still shouldn't be on the road!

jmwachuya
5th August 2022, 13:28
Is that a steward?

Verstuurd vanaf mijn 2201123G met TapatalkThat is a Marshal,in a dangerous position!

Sent from my CPH1725 using Tapatalk

AnttiL
5th August 2022, 13:46
That is a Marshal,in a dangerous position!

Sent from my CPH1725 using Tapatalk

And shooting video

TypeR
5th August 2022, 13:59
More like a random guy in fluoro vest..

why should marshall be in bushes?

Gearbox issues for Neuville? Couldn't get on neutral on finish line..

Fast Eddie WRC
5th August 2022, 14:13
FFS Breen... 10s down after a great start.

Tauri_J
5th August 2022, 14:17
2 fords broken?

Sergiow
5th August 2022, 14:23
2 fords broken?

At least Fournaux is having a hard day struggling with power steering issues

http://forum-rallye.com/uploads/monthly_08_2022/post-157-0-99580000-1659696786.jpeg

https://twitter.com/MSportLtd/status/1555518042393780225?cxt=HHwWgoC96eDap5YrAAAA
https://twitter.com/MSportLtd/status/1555548131760250880?cxt=HHwWgIC9iZiytZYrAAAA

Eli
5th August 2022, 14:43
FFS Breen... 10s down after a great start.

He said he hit a rock?

Fast Eddie WRC
5th August 2022, 14:45
He said he hit a rock?

Yes... its always something.

Fast Eddie WRC
5th August 2022, 14:51
Catch me if you can ! ;)

https://twitter.com/NieminenMatti77/status/1555563065936068609

TypeR
5th August 2022, 14:56
Kalle's comment seemed a bit cheeky bs.. (like meant to be towards ,,slow'' hyundai story)..

,,totally on the limit, can't do more..''

wyler
5th August 2022, 15:00
Kalle's comment seemed a bit cheeky bs.. (like meant to be towards ,,slow'' hyundai story)..

why? he's first on the road and gaining on later drivers...it has to be pushing...

Päss1928
5th August 2022, 15:07

Felt the same to me, like he was trying to be clever or sarcastic.

Fast Eddie WRC
5th August 2022, 15:14
Yes EP ! What run !

focus206
5th August 2022, 15:14
Felt the same to me, like he was trying to be clever or sarcastic.

Considering he's saying this, you might be right.
https://dirtfish.com/rally/wrc/rovanpera-hyundai-is-not-bulls/

wyler
5th August 2022, 15:19
Considering he's saying this, you might be right.
https://dirtfish.com/rally/wrc/rovanpera-hyundai-is-not-bulls/

really? neuville on the same time as greensmith??? come on...

Fast Eddie WRC
5th August 2022, 17:00
Lucky Rovanpera !!

Sproaks
5th August 2022, 17:07
The reaction of Janne in the car - priceless :D

Fast Eddie WRC
5th August 2022, 17:25
Hairy moments for Loubet.

AnttiL
5th August 2022, 17:50
yr.no is forecasting some rain for tomorrow morning loop from Rapsula onwards.

COD
5th August 2022, 19:53
So dissapointed on M-sport. They had a great start of the season, now seems they are just recycling old parts and all cars fail at some point.

Tauri_J
5th August 2022, 20:07
yr.no is forecasting some rain for tomorrow morning loop from Rapsula onwards.

I see lots of rain, cold front moving in. Not looking good for Ott.

Eli
5th August 2022, 20:24
So disappointed on M-sport. They had a great start of the season, now seems they are just recycling old parts and all cars fail at some point.

Well I can see why Breen is struggling here, his pace was okay until he hit that rock in stage 7(?) and once he lost that 10 seconds, he's trying so hard to catch that time back, he just needs to reset and start fresh for tomorrow. Besides imho the fact that he needs to lead the team for the first time in his career amounts a lot of pressure, and the overall line-up at M-Sport can't help. He needs someone to challenge him, to make him strive for better results, and atm only Loeb is there but he's on a pensioner's slot so...I honestly hope M-Sport will manage to sign a top driver for next season whilst their car is still (relatively) competitive.

mknight
5th August 2022, 21:28
Looks like almost everyone was wide on Rovanpera's corner (Rovanpera, Neuville, Evans and Tanak):

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/-a-d8iDDAoo?app=desktop
https://www.youtube.com/shorts/B5HAxbGc3_U?app=desktop
https://www.youtube.com/shorts/exlq27He9-g?app=desktop
https://www.youtube.com/shorts/yTlJ8hoq3J8?app=desktop

Most interesting is Tanak since he definitely had time to see Rovanpera on Allive.

WRCStan
5th August 2022, 23:11
Well I can see why Breen is struggling here, his pace was okay until he hit that rock in stage 7(?) and once he lost that 10 seconds, he's trying so hard to catch that time back, he just needs to reset and start fresh for tomorrow. Besides imho the fact that he needs to lead the team for the first time in his career amounts a lot of pressure, and the overall line-up at M-Sport can't help. He needs someone to challenge him, to make him strive for better results, and atm only Loeb is there but he's on a pensioner's slot so...I honestly hope M-Sport will manage to sign a top driver for next season whilst their car is still (relatively) competitive.

Finishing is everything for M-Sport, there's no title fight for anybody. If his team mates can't finish that's not his problem so that's why I don't agree with the team-leader label.

If you lose 10s you don't get it back at this level at these speeds, only others can lose it too. He's 0.3s/km behind a 0-fucks Tanak and then 3 infallible Toyotas driven by two former winners and the champion in waiting. Craig is hardly struggling whilst being under the biggest pressure to bring it home. If he finishes on +0.3s/k it'll be his second best result of the season after Sardinia so at these speeds I wouldn't be surprised if he's asked to curb his enthusiasm tbh. Still another day tomorrow, long way to go and all that.

EstWRC
6th August 2022, 03:46
I see lots of rain, cold front moving in. Not looking good for Ott.

Wrong already. We are at Paijala and yr.no showed that it should start rain here at 3 am and basically non stop till the evening. It’s bone dry

I mean the exact place where we are.

bandit12
6th August 2022, 04:19
Most interesting is Tanak since he definitely had time to see Rovanpera on Allive.

Well... But this is the fastest way, to take this corner...

mknight
6th August 2022, 04:58
Finishing is everything for M-Sport, there's no title fight for anybody. If his team mates can't finish that's not his problem so that's why I don't agree with the team-leader label.

If you lose 10s you don't get it back at this level at these speeds, only others can lose it too. He's 0.3s/km behind a 0-fucks Tanak and then 3 infallible Toyotas driven by two former winners and the champion in waiting. Craig is hardly struggling whilst being under the biggest pressure to bring it home. If he finishes on +0.3s/k it'll be his second best result of the season after Sardinia so at these speeds I wouldn't be surprised if he's asked to curb his enthusiasm tbh. Still another day tomorrow, long way to go and all that.

Does this equal "biggest pressure to bring it home":
https://dirtfish.com/rally/wrc/m-sport-wants-breen-to-throw-caution-to-the-wind/

Breen is doing ok here, before the hit it was pretty much exactly same as last year in a Hyundai. Not a championship or even rally-winning speed though. (*wink to Breen WDC predictions)

Tauri_J
6th August 2022, 05:18
Wrong already. We are at Paijala and yr.no showed that it should start rain here at 3 am and basically non stop till the evening. It’s bone dry

I mean the exact place where we are.

3AM? I'm talking about precipitation during rally. There will be huge downpours today on stages. Look how how yesterday was and todays Will be a lot colder. Perfect conditions for thunderstorms. If you wont believe me, believe bluuford.

seb_sh
6th August 2022, 05:19
So if it rains that might give the edge to Kalle again.

TypeR
6th August 2022, 05:35
Unlucky Tänak again.. raining heavier

E: did a good stage tho, only 4.3 down on Evans

Tänak: ,,the conditions are actually not that bad, but.. this thing is a nightmare to drive!''

AnttiL
6th August 2022, 05:45
Such an awesome stage!

EstWRC
6th August 2022, 05:45
Of course it started to rain heavier exactly before Ott at our place

But the problem is the car, wil lose the leads for sure today if it doesnt t get better

Eli
6th August 2022, 06:08

Yeah, that’s what I want to say, those 10 seconds are lost, no point in fighting to get them back, just need to continue at his pace.

dupanton
6th August 2022, 06:13
Tanak is really on a "win it or bin it" mission I think. You can see on the onboard footage that the car is really snappy. Compared to the Toyota's were the oversteer is very gentle, it's a huge difference and the car does look like handfull. Respect to Ott for getting these times out of the car!

jonkka
6th August 2022, 06:28
Breen has hit something and broken rear of the car, retires.

TypeR
6th August 2022, 06:30
Breen had a massive hit to the right side and rally over

Eli
6th August 2022, 06:34
Ott & Esapekka better watch out, Kalle coming in fast.

bomber21
6th August 2022, 06:40
Nightmare year for Ford.

cali
6th August 2022, 06:46
Nightmare year for Ford.

NO, just the drivers...

Eli
6th August 2022, 06:47
Nightmare year for Ford.

Yeah…to say the least, and you can’t say that the car is like the Fiesta last year.

cali
Ott & Esapekka better watch out, Kalle coming in fast.

It was expected and the rain helps a lot. But it's going to interesting day at the least

Eli
NO, just the drivers...

I think that’s what he referred to.

cali
6th August 2022, 06:51
I think that’s what he referred to.

Yes, it was a tonque in cheek answer to him

Galev62
6th August 2022, 07:14
Huttunen broken powersteering

rp
6th August 2022, 07:17
Good for Breen to have a two-year contract with M-Sport. His career is over after next year.

Eli
6th August 2022, 07:20
https://twitter.com/alekslesk/status/1555815819506057216?s=21&t=uGR2Xl8AQ4WsEKWZ8HUBEw

Breen’s jump & hit.

jonkka
6th August 2022, 07:20
Good for Breen to have a two-year contract with M-Sport. His career is over after next year.

You mean M-Sport will be left only with slow pay drivers?

cali
6th August 2022, 07:24
You mean M-Sport will be left only with slow pay drivers?They unretire both Loeb and Ogier

Sent from my DN2103 using Tapatalk

jonkka
6th August 2022, 07:26
They unretire both Loeb and Ogier

Daydreaming is fun.

Eli
6th August 2022, 07:33
Rovanperä Is going to take this one, in the rain he shines. Really hope his rivals can stop him but seems unlikely really.

rp
6th August 2022, 07:34
At least Breen can not be their 1st driver anymore if he is not able to deliver results.

Tauri_J
6th August 2022, 07:35
You mean M-Sport will be left only with slow pay drivers?

Ott

TypeR
6th August 2022, 07:35
Rovanperä Is going to take this one, in the rain he shines. Really hope his rivals can stop him but seems unlikely really.

He doesn't get any rain compared to Lappi and Tänak :D

jonkka
6th August 2022, 07:36
Ott

Do you think that M-Sport can outbid Hyundai? Or do you mean Ott is willing to take pay cut to drive for a team with less resources?

seb_sh
6th August 2022, 07:39
Do you think that M-Sport can outbid Hyundai? Or do you mean Ott is willing to take pay cut to drive for a team with less resources?

Of course, MSport will make a super team of Loeb, Ogier and Tanak next year, you read it here first! /sarcasm

cali
6th August 2022, 07:39
Do you think that M-Sport can outbid Hyundai? Or do you mean Ott is willing to take pay cut to drive for a team with less resources?Atm I don't even think the Puma is on the same level as i20 and Hyundai has resources which M-Sport doesn't have. It's not a good move

eib1
6th August 2022, 07:42
https://scontent-arn2-2.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t39.30808-6/297596175_5368064589928254_4388868741546090163_n.j pg?_nc_cat=105&ccb=1-7&_nc_sid=5cd70e&_nc_ohc=iXwdA0GL4xUAX9ROIw0&_nc_ht=scontent-arn2-2.xx&oh=00_AT8OXRfiqcKazE4WjXg7OOF-XiU5L3QW8ju5xe8cJUeiWw&oe=62F3E98A

Sergiow
6th August 2022, 07:45
They unretire both Loeb and Ogier

I'd rather think of Evans coming back to M-Sport. More than ever he seems to be unhappy and anonymous at Toyota and is totally overshadowed this year by that youngster. Financially both Evans and M-Sport have in common Red Bull sponsorship

cali
6th August 2022, 07:52
I'd rather think of Evans coming back to M-Sport. More than ever he seems to be unhappy and anonymous at Toyota and is totally overshadowed this year by that youngster. Financially both Evans and M-Sport have in common Red Bull sponsorshipYes, this was not a serious statement from me. But the drivers situation at M-Sport is very weak.

Tauri_J
6th August 2022, 07:56

Well its his choice. I think his words tell the story.

Sergiow
6th August 2022, 08:12
Yes, this was not a serious statement from me. But the drivers situation at M-Sport is very weak.

Is the drivers situation with Toyota any better? They have hands down the best car this year but apart from Rovanperä and occassionally Ogier I see no one really shine. Lappi blew his big chance in Sardegna and seems to be missing out again in Finland committing too much errors

jonkka
6th August 2022, 08:12
Well its his choice. I think his words tell the story.

For a moment, let's assume this to be a serious alternative. If Tanak aims to re-do what Ogier did, to succeed this scheme would need Malcolm to pay Ott's salary from outside of team's budget (extra sponsorship, Malcolm's own funds, pay cut or whatever). Because if this doesn't happen, Ott's salary would tax team's budget to a degree that might endanger development and testing. Ott and Breen are in opposite ends of salary band, after all.

TypeR
6th August 2022, 08:40
Tänak stage win by 1.3s, crazy driving

cali
6th August 2022, 08:42
Is the drivers situation with Toyota any better? They have hands down the best car this year but apart from Rovanperä and occassionally Ogier I see no one really shine. Lappi blew his big chance in Sardegna and seems to be missing out again in Finland committing too much errorsLOL

denkimi
6th August 2022, 08:45
i have rarely seen neuville so slow. except for the sss, 6th is his best stage result until now.

Eli
6th August 2022, 08:46
i have rarely seen neuville so slow. except for the sss, 6th is his best stage result until now.

Finland was never his happy hunting ground so…no surprises there.

Lead
6th August 2022, 09:11
Rovanpera gained back 9sec in morning loop. Lets see what happens in afternoon. Crazy battle up front, you can tell all of four guys are pushing like crazy.

Disappointed in Breen. These and Estonia fast flowing roads was his rallies... I dont know, I somehow feel there is something behind the scenes. Maybe he doesnt feel comfortable with the car or M-Sport pressures him too much for immediate results. Last couple of rallies he seems completely "off".

Fast Eddie WRC
6th August 2022, 09:16
Small mistakes by Breen but a lot of pure bad luck happens too.

Rovanpera has the opposite - when he goes slightly off he gets away with it.

cali
6th August 2022, 09:20
Small mistakes by Breen but a lot of pure bad luck happens too.

Rovanpera has the opposite - when he goes slightly off he gets away with it.It's not a matter of luck, it's down to pure skills and instincts

AnttiL
6th August 2022, 09:39
Remember how these two rallies were supposed to fit Breen really well and he was told to "throw caution to the wind"? It's a disastrous season for him and the team.

rp
6th August 2022, 09:43
Maybe he doesnt feel comfortable with the car or M-Sport pressures him too much for immediate results. Last couple of rallies he seems completely "off".

Of course M-Sport was not testing in Finland and it was not helping, but Breen must handle the pressure if he wants to continue to drive on the top level.

Eli
6th August 2022, 09:46
Remember how these two rallies were supposed to fit Breen really well and he was told to "throw caution to the wind"? It's a disastrous season for him and the team.

Yes and seeing Milliner mad at him is like, but you told him to go for it.

AndyRAC
6th August 2022, 09:50
For a moment, let's assume this to be a serious alternative. If Tanak aims to re-do what Ogier did, to succeed this scheme would need Malcolm to pay Ott's salary from outside of team's budget (extra sponsorship, Malcolm's own funds, pay cut or whatever). Because if this doesn't happen, Ott's salary would tax team's budget to a degree that might endanger development and testing. Ott and Breen are in opposite ends of salary band, after all.

Didn't he say he would never do that ever again? However, that's the only solution I can see.

Fast Eddie WRC
6th August 2022, 11:11
It's not a matter of luck, it's down to pure skills and instincts

Rovanpera got away with the hit on the SSS in Estonia and going off the road today. He said himself he was lucky.

If you make a mistake there is an element of luck if there's a rock there or not.

Fast Eddie WRC
6th August 2022, 11:13
Didn't he say he would never do that ever again? However, that's the only solution I can see.

The bottom line is that Ford has to pay for a top driver if they (MSport) want to seriously compete with the might of Toyota & Hyundai.

cali
6th August 2022, 11:38
Rovanpera got away with the hit on the SSS in Estonia and going off the road today. He said himself he was lucky.

If you make a mistake there is an element of luck if there's a rock there or not.

But why is that every time Ogier, Rovanperä and few other top of the top drivers escape and the 2nd tier drivers usually get cought out?

WRCStan
6th August 2022, 11:48
But why is that every time Ogier, Rovanperä and few other top of the top drivers escape and the 2nd tier drivers usually get cought out?

If it was the other way round you could still ask the same question. This helps to define top and 2nd tier drivers.

Hüttünen
6th August 2022, 11:51
If it was the other way round you could still ask the same question. This helps to define top and 2nd tier drivers.

Top tier: Loeb, Ogier, Rovanperä
2nd tier: Tänak, Evans, Neuville
3rd tier: Lappi, Breen, Sordo
Ford Puma tier: the rest

As you can see, this is not that hard

mknight
6th August 2022, 12:07
Yes and seeing Milliner mad at him is like, but you told him to go for it.

Yep, quite a crap reaction. Tell him openly to push then be angry when he crashes.

At the same time Fourmaux crashes out on second stage and Milliner says only that it was a shame...

seb_sh
6th August 2022, 12:16

I think the difference is how much they push their luck. The likes of Loeb, Ogier or Rovanpera make fewer mistakes and when they do and get lucky it's quite obvious and seems unfair. The others make more mistakes, so the chance that they will find a big rock increases and eventually it happens.

Then there is also the theory that some supernatural rally luck moves from Loeb to Ogier to Rovanpera. We can obviously see the first two are not lucky anymore this year :P

jonkka
6th August 2022, 12:29
Top tier: Loeb, Ogier, Rovanperä
2nd tier: Tänak, Evans, Neuville
3rd tier: Lappi, Breen, Sordo
Ford Puma tier: the rest

As you can see, this is not that hard

It seems to be quite hard, you got it wrong by calling 2019 World Champion a second tier driver.

JLunen
6th August 2022, 12:31
So Rovanperä isn't top tier _atm_? I'd say, he is exactly that. Of course things can change in the future, like with Tänak: next car after title isn't really fitting to your driving style and the next after that fits nobody basically.

Tänak is truly very fast on all surfaces and it's a shame the car is what it is. He also very rarely goes off nowadays. Usually it's punctures that drop him down the leaderboard. On the other hand, he couldn't get the i20 WRC to go well on tarmac (which hardly anybody else did either besides Neuville) so he ain't "all mighty".

Rovanperä ain't god either but he has already found the way to drive Rally 1 Yaris very fast without big risks. Something Evans hasn't been able to do. Kalle was also very fast to get the feeling with the 2017 cars on all surfaces. Seeing Rovanperä and Tänak on Toyota would be super interesting (except that Toyota would probably win every rally...). One can only dream... of course it would be interesting to see Neuville somewhere else than Hyundai as well. Could he take some kind of a next step with Toyota like Evans did back in 2020 and leave the mistakes to a minimum?

So with current full time drivers I'd say it's Rovanperä & Tänak as tier 1, Evans dropped to tier 2 with Rally 1 cars and Neuville is there with him. Breen just doesn't make it, unfortunately, he is tier 3. Then rest of the Fords are tier 4.

Fast Eddie WRC
6th August 2022, 12:34
Catching up with Breen incident stage this morning I see Katsuta had THREE mistakes on that stage and got away with them all ...

wyler
6th August 2022, 12:45
Yep, quite a crap reaction. Tell him openly to push then be angry when he crashes.

c'mon, put that in context.

m-sport hired breen to get podiums. breen did first part of season cautious because of making mileage, lack of some rally experience, and so on. when millener ask for a push he doesn't mean win or bin. he mean it's time to get up aq notch and deliver podiums or podium-like performances.

remember there was people suggesting it was on same tier (or better) than tanak & neuville...

WRCStan
6th August 2022, 12:55
Finishing is everything for M-Sport, there's no title fight for anybody. Craig is hardly struggling whilst being under the biggest pressure to bring it home.

Does this equal "biggest pressure to bring it home":
https://dirtfish.com/rally/wrc/m-sport-wants-breen-to-throw-caution-to-the-wind/

^ Pre-event PR hype

“I understand that he’s trying to get the positions we want to see, but retirements are 10 times worse than anything else. So it’s frustrating.”
https://dirtfish.com/rally/wrc/breen-shouldnt-have-made-his-finland-mistake-m-sport/

^ On-event reality

Fast Eddie WRC
6th August 2022, 13:07
What an insane battle at the front ! Just pray the Hyundai doesn't let Tanak down eventually.

seb_sh
6th August 2022, 13:08
What an insane battle at the front ! Just pray the Hyundai doesn't let Tanak down eventually.

Indeed a great fight, so close margins!

cali
6th August 2022, 13:09
And most importantly what a driving from top guys! Pure rallying heaven at the moment

TWRC
6th August 2022, 13:14
^ Pre-event PR hype

“I understand that he’s trying to get the positions we want to see, but retirements are 10 times worse than anything else. So it’s frustrating.”
https://dirtfish.com/rally/wrc/breen-shouldnt-have-made-his-finland-mistake-m-sport/

^ On-event reality
I think Millener's communication as of late (this season) has been sometimes very counterproductive to say the least.

bomber21
6th August 2022, 13:21
I think Millener's communication as of late (this season) has been sometimes very counterproductive to say the least.
He is maybe as well stressed from his boss…

AndyRAC
6th August 2022, 13:48
He is maybe as well stressed from his boss…

I think it's frustration that they can't really compete; no pre event test, no absolute top line drivers, etc The two 'lead' drivers making errors, and the other isn't fast enough.....again.

Fast Eddie WRC
6th August 2022, 14:10
Straight battle for the win with Kalle now in 2nd and Ott says he'll fight.

So who is your money on ?

mknight
6th August 2022, 14:41
I think it's frustration that they can't really compete; no pre event test, no absolute top line drivers, etc The two 'lead' drivers making errors, and the other isn't fast enough.....again.

But it is very much their own making.

They picked Breen as only driver that gets paid and they filled other cars with paydrivers. Lots of voices around saying it was risky, including Breen himself.

It is this year they need to show car potential to get more money from either Ford, sponsors or more paydrivers and to potentially attract top driver(s).

If they won't it will get harder in the future.

Päss1928
6th August 2022, 14:41

Ott.

jonkka
6th August 2022, 14:45

Difference between Ott and Kalle was 21,9secs after last stage yesterday. So far, Kalle has slashed that to just 11,5secs. Given that there still are two stages to go and whole tomorrow, it looks like Kalle runs out of stage km's to do it (116 km gone, 78 km left).

wyler
6th August 2022, 14:49

They picked Breen as only driver that gets paid and they filled other cars with paydrivers. Lots of voices around saying it was risky, including Breen himself.

It is this year they need to show car potential to get more money from either Ford, sponsors or more paydrivers and to potentially attract top driver(s).

that's aimed again to tell that another certain driver is not in rally1?

Because, really...what different choice they had? we need to talk through this another time?

TypeR
6th August 2022, 14:50
Difference between Ott and Kalle was 21,9secs after last stage yesterday. So far, Kalle has slashed that to just 11,5secs. Given that there still are two stages to go and whole tomorrow, it looks like Kalle runs out of stage km's to do it (116 km gone, 78 km left).
I'm surprised he has taken so few seconds back with 6 stages..
Top tier guy at home in Yaris should have taken all back.. :)

jonkka
6th August 2022, 14:52
I'm surprised he has taken so few seconds back with 6 stages..
Top tier guy at home in Yaris should have taken all back.. :)

I think it's more down to how hard Tanak is fighting, he is truly wringing that beast of a car around to stay ahead.

Fast Eddie WRC
6th August 2022, 14:56
I fancy Ott... Kalle may be more sensible and think of the Ch'ship.

Tauri_J
6th August 2022, 15:03
This is crazy to watch

Fast Eddie WRC
6th August 2022, 15:04
Equal times !! :D

Sproaks
6th August 2022, 15:04
Ott on full send. Massive respect to his performance :eek:

AndyRAC
6th August 2022, 15:05

Yes, I agree. They knew what would likely happen - so it's hard to continue to feel sorry for them, as it's a recurring problem. Unless something changes, Ford isn't going to put more money in.

Eli
6th August 2022, 15:07
This is crazy to watch

And very enjoyable :)

Fast Eddie WRC
6th August 2022, 15:13
Yes, I agree. They knew what would likely happen - so it's hard to continue to feel sorry for them, as it's a recurring problem. Unless something changes, Ford isn't going to put more money in.

Can we park this as its pretty simple -
Ford wouldnt fund a top driver and they were all under (expensive) contract anyway. The choice was Breen based on his performances and results in 2021. Maybe Mikkelsen or Ostberg may have done better but it was a gamble whoever's they chose.

mknight
6th August 2022, 15:19
that's aimed again to tell that another certain driver is not in rally1?

Because, really...what different choice they had? we need to talk through this another time?

Current MSport lineup is not working, that's a fact. Breen is alone with experience and is not taking the pressure well. The other drivers that never won anything (Fourmaux has won one rally with good competition ever) didn't improve speed or reliability.

Loubet is about the only one that delivered much better than expected, but he is paying as well.

There for sure are/were more choices than Fourmaux and Greensmith (more than one specific driver). Huttunen is driving here, no idea who pays for that. Even Loeb seemingly had to get Redbull to pay for his drives.

A year ago Malcolm said they had money to hire a top driver. I really doubt he meant Breen.

So what happened with the money? (unless he was lying). They didn't use it on drivers and now they don't have money for testing before rally.

seb_sh
6th August 2022, 15:30
Current MSport lineup is not working, that's a fact. Breen is alone with experience and is not taking the pressure well. The other drivers that never won anything (Fourmaux has won one rally with good competition ever) didn't improve speed or reliability.

Loubet is about the only one that delivered much better than expected, but he is paying as well.

There for sure are/were more choices than Fourmaux and Greensmith (more than one specific driver). Huttunen is driving here, no idea who pays for that. Even Loeb seemingly had to get Redbull to pay for his drives.

A year ago Malcolm said they had money to hire a top driver. I really doubt he meant Breen.

So what happened with the money? (unless he was lying). They didn't use it on drivers and now they don't have money for testing before rally.

Please, this was discussed in other threads, lets enjoy the rally, it really is a superb fight.

wyler
6th August 2022, 16:08
Please, this was discussed in other threads, lets enjoy the rally, it really is a superb fight.

that was exactly the point...

janneppi
6th August 2022, 16:10
I fancy Ott... Kalle may be more sensible and think of the Ch'ship.After previous stage Rovanperä said he was taking that one a bit safe. He's been faster than other Toyotas and Neuville is far away so he can think about the WDC a bit.

I don't think anyone can match Tanak's risk level for the whole rally

Lähetetty minun XQ-AU52 laitteesta Tapatalkilla

Eli
6th August 2022, 16:11
That was so close there at the end!!! very nearly went off, that was some drive from Ott!

cali
6th August 2022, 16:13
After previous stage Rovanperä said he was taking that one a bit safe. He's been faster than other Toyotas and Neuville is far away so he can think about the WDC a bit.

I don't think anyone can match Tanak's risk level for the whole rally

Lähetetty minun XQ-AU52 laitteesta TapatalkillaKalle will definitely put pressure on Ott. Whatever the end result this has been a rally for the ages.

Eli
6th August 2022, 16:26
Kalle will definitely put pressure on Ott. Whatever the end result this has been a rally for the ages.

I think it's the tightest fight we've had in Finland since Latvala Vs Ogier back in the day, I'd say Latvala vs. Lappi 5 years ago but that ended by this stage when Latvala suffered a technical/mechanical(?) issue.

mknight
6th August 2022, 16:55
Some difficult decisions for Rovanpera for tomorrow. He can easily secure second and the title, or he could push a bit and see if Tanak flinches again.

Judging by Estonia PS he is more likely to push as he is still in a young guys "don't care" mode.

focus206
6th August 2022, 18:27
Impressed by Tanak. I don't know how much the stars are aligning and effectively how many risks he's taking, but I think he's the favourite for tomorrow. IF, of course, Hyundai doesn't Hyundai again.
Reminds me of a Rally Finland battle of Latvala vs Ogier in VW few years ago, when Latvala said "I will push 110% to win this rally even if I risk to crash" and he actually made it.

Eli
6th August 2022, 19:02
Have to say, this has been the best rally of the season, an absolute joy to watch, even with All live.

Scaha
6th August 2022, 19:10
I've been lurking this forum but now I have to say. It is been an insane rally this far. Most enjoyable for the season. I'm really pissed about Lappi but still..

EstWRC
6th August 2022, 19:32
All or nothing tomorrow https://dirtfish.com/rally/wrc/hyundai-left-spellbound-by-tanaks-finland-efforts/

PLuto
6th August 2022, 19:44
They picked Breen as only driver that gets paid.

Are you sure?

Sproaks
6th August 2022, 20:02
All or nothing tomorrow https://dirtfish.com/rally/wrc/hyundai-left-spellbound-by-tanaks-finland-efforts/

It's a bit weird they are so surprised. I'm not.
Ott is a fantastic driver with incredible pace in almost every rally this year. The only surprise in Finland is that his car didn't let him down till now.

Kalle is faster, but only marginal. Ott is still living from his road position advantage on Friday.
If (!) there are no issues with the Hyundai tomorrow Ott will win because Kalle is simply running out of miles. Not enough ground to catch Ott.
And from my side Ott would be the well deserved winner of this rally. And I'm saying this as a Toyota fan from the bottom of my heart.

Scaha
6th August 2022, 20:34
It's a bit weird they are so surprised. I'm not.
Ott is a fantastic driver with incredible pace in almost every rally this year. The only surprise in Finland is that his car didn't let him down till now.

Kalle is faster, but only marginal. Ott is still living from his road position advantage on Friday.
If (!) there are no issues with the Hyundai tomorrow Ott will win because Kalle is simply running out of miles. Not enough ground to catch Ott.
And from my side Ott would be the well deserved winner of this rally. And I'm saying this as a Toyota fan from the bottom of my heart.

It's been incredible to watch how Tänäk goes trough without having a smooth ride like Kalle and still managing to be in pace. No doubt he's one hell of a driver. Kalle is good but he is still learning. Yep, I got my alarm clock on.

Allez Andruet
6th August 2022, 21:42
Whatever happens tomorrow, there will be no losers. Tänak vs. Rovanperä, the best of the best battling it out. Let's get it on and enjoy the ride.

KiwiWRCfan
7th August 2022, 02:56
Virtual WRC points using positions on Saturday Night
Rovanpera 193 Neuville 104 Tanak 102

Scenario 1 to consider.
If overall positions remain unchanged Ott needs 3 more points than Thierry on power stage to move into second on seasons points table.

Scenario 2 to consider
If Kalle takes lead off Ott then virtual points before power stage will be Rovanpera 200 Neuville 104 Tanak 95. Compare Kalle's points to the 2 two Hyundai drivers

mknight
7th August 2022, 05:15
Thrilla in Jyväskylä, round 3.

Augury
7th August 2022, 05:46
Here we go, this is going to be wild.

Eli
7th August 2022, 05:53
What a stage by Ott! Fantastic battle ahead!

cali
7th August 2022, 05:56
Almost crashed to the barrier at the beginning of the stage and his driving is so scary to watch. Huge risks!

Kalle so smooth again, effortless.

Fantastic battle.

doubled1978
7th August 2022, 05:58
That was literally “balls to the wall” from Tanak. Loved that…
I didn’t think Tanak could maintain this level for the whole event without incident, but man…

AnttiL
7th August 2022, 06:05
So far no technical issues with Hyundais

mknight
7th August 2022, 06:09
So far no technical issues with Hyundais

While Huttunen has some issue just about on every stage.

cali
7th August 2022, 06:17
So far no technical issues with HyundaisShhhhhhhh don't break the spell

cali
7th August 2022, 06:18
While Huttunen has some issue just about on every stage.I'm telling this for a few times here the Puma is unreliable and slowish

mknight
7th August 2022, 06:40
Kinda weird to see an ad for a rally car at stageside.

TypeR
7th August 2022, 06:54
showing new rally car on a rally event is really weird indeed.. microwaves and hairdryers would be better

mknight
7th August 2022, 07:14
showing new rally car on a rally event is really weird indeed.. microwaves and hairdryers would be better

I know this might be hard for your simple mind to process but there is a rather important undertone.

When rally started it was normal road cars, manus started to support it to sell more of the same road cars.
Next step is a car that is only partly based or only looking like a road car. Still the goal is to sell the roadcar.
Then you have the "brand building" where you sell the brand and the brand then might release a "rally inspired" roadcar. Still you try to sell the roadcar.

This from Skoda is still a bit of brand building, but since the motorsport division is funded by rally car sales it actually aims on selling the rally car and not the road car.

But yeah it is still a car with wheels that you want to sell, carry on.

1988senna
7th August 2022, 07:28
Dose anyone know what happened to Neuville?? no speed at all for the whole event

Essaj
7th August 2022, 07:38
Dose anyone know what happened to Neuville?? no speed at all for the whole event

Pretty much his normal speed in every Rally Finland

jonkka
7th August 2022, 08:24
Lappi rolls three times over... continues to finish...

bandit12
7th August 2022, 08:25
Oh Ep...

Eli
7th August 2022, 08:30
Misheard pace-note or something else?

mknight
7th August 2022, 08:30
Meeke 2019 vibes from Lappi there.

Tauri_J
7th August 2022, 08:32
Think its over for Lappi. Was leaking like Exxon Valdez.

Negaiss
7th August 2022, 08:34
Misheard pace-note or something else?

Slided sideways into a rut, which was just too deep. Lappi slided into a rut almost perpendicular - like into a small wall. Hope he will be able to finish, but according to WRC live comments, that is unlikely, because there are reports, that cooling fluid is leaking heavily.

jonkka
7th August 2022, 08:37
They are patching the leak with epoxy right now - if it holds, they can continue but with cracked windscreen and damaged rear aero it's likely that Evans can get past.

rallyfiend
7th August 2022, 08:39
They are patching the leak with epoxy right now - if it holds, they can continue but with cracked windscreen and damaged rear aero it's likely that Evans can get past.

I think they are allowed to fix the windscreen in the regroup before the Power Stage

Lead
7th August 2022, 08:39
Lappi why, why?? Your place on podium was secure...

jonkka
7th August 2022, 08:40
I think they are allowed to fix the windscreen in the regroup before the Power Stage

Are they? I thought that regroup is just regroup, no external servicing?

Erki
7th August 2022, 08:48
Meeke 2019 vibes from Lappi there.

For me it reminded a bit of Colin in Cyprus 2002. Hope their fix can hold.

https://youtu.be/XEE8INiRmnM?t=1211

AnttiL
7th August 2022, 08:48
Are they? I thought that regroup is just regroup, no external servicing?

You are right, they can only fix with the tools and parts they carry in the car. The crew may get some food and drinks, that's all.

jonkka
7th August 2022, 08:51
You are right, they can only fix with the tools and parts they carry in the car. The crew may get some food and drinks, that's all.

Good good, for a minute I thought that rules have been changed and nobody bothered to tell me. :D

mknight
7th August 2022, 08:51
For me it reminded a bit of Colin in Cyprus 2002. Hope their fix can hold.

https://youtu.be/XEE8INiRmnM?t=1211

Was more about the timing.
Meeke 2019 - Sunday before PS, nothing to fight for, completely unnecessary and in a Toyota

Pretty much perfect match with Lappi today

Eli
7th August 2022, 08:52
What a stupid mistake by Lappi, just made his 2023 seat prospect much more difficult for himself.

Sergiow
7th August 2022, 09:03

A leaking radiator can damage the engine. I thought Evans had the same problem in Sardegna early on and they retired the car to salvage the engine

it.motorsport.com reporting that Lappi used water from a nearby lake to fill the leaked coolant .... :eek:

Sergiow
7th August 2022, 09:05
What a stupid mistake by Lappi, just made his 2023 seat prospect much more difficult for himself.

I told you so already yesterday in response to the drivers situation with M-Sport

Is the drivers situation with Toyota any better? They have hands down the best car this year but apart from Rovanperä and occassionally Ogier I see no one really shine. Lappi blew his big chance in Sardegna and seems to be missing out again in Finland committing too much errors

AnttiL
7th August 2022, 09:10
Was more about the timing.
Meeke 2019 - Sunday before PS, nothing to fight for, completely unnecessary and in a Toyota

Pretty much perfect match with Lappi today

Meeke was even in super rally. Luckily Lappi had still Evans behind so team points were not affected.

cali
7th August 2022, 09:11
I told you so already yesterday in response to the drivers situation with M-SportJust look at the standings on this rally and season overall. Huge gaps, M-Sport guys have their own championship in their own dimension.

Eli
7th August 2022, 09:12
I told you so already yesterday in response to the drivers situation with M-Sport

Yes I'm aware their situation is (mostly) due to Rovanperä & Ogier being in the car, but we were talking about M-Sport yesterday and still they're (Toyota) out in front in both championships. No doubt their car is better, however they still have all their drivers (apart from Lappi) in the top 5, whilst Breen is the highest running Puma driver in 6th. Side-note, luckily for them Hyundai have shot their own legs with their car this year.

mknight
7th August 2022, 09:31
Drivers situation in Toyota is completely different cause they have two drivers that fight for win in every rally. 3rd guy doesn't really matter when they are leading the championship easily anyway (but it mattered in 2020).

But it's a bit unclear what sort of instructions Lappi has? Backup the other drivers and secure points or go for best result? He acts like the second one, but doesn't have the last tiny bit of speed/consistency and mistakes come. Starting to remind of Meeke in whole 2019 season.

What I can see happening next year if he keeps going like this is that Toyota nominates Katsuta on at least the rounds Ogier doesn't do or even on all (with Ogier in 4th car).

cali
https://www.instagram.com/p/Cg8vhXijXlS/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

Sergiow
www.rallye-magazin.de has already a very fine collection of WRC Finland 2022 videos (although that regional rally rolling over same stages is technically speaking not WRC)
https://www.rallye-magazin.de/wrc/artikel/video-rallye-finnland-2-tag-48843/

mknight
7th August 2022, 09:32
Side-note, luckily for them Hyundai have shot their own legs with their car this year.
The long list of zeros from Solberg also matters a lot in manus champ.

Eli
7th August 2022, 09:40
The long list of zeros from Solberg also matters a lot in manus champ.

Exactly, and yet we'll still see him in a Rally1 next time out instead of taking a break and going back to WRC2.

Sergiow
7th August 2022, 09:42
Drivers situation in Toyota is completely different cause they have two drivers that fight for win in every rally. 3rd guy doesn't really matter when they are leading the championship easily anyway (but it mattered in 2020).

What me got thinking about the team Toyota situation is why up until now Neuville is still 2nd in the championship despite all those tech problems. You should expect that a second Toyota driver would hands down in 2nd place in the championship standings but that is absolutely not the case

https://d19p4plxg0u3gz.cloudfront.net/91126b40-c23c-11ec-83f1-2a24e40ca636/v/ba03ebd6-9d09-11eb-8a41-cedfb09875dd/768x432-ba054e7c-9d09-11eb-870c-cedfb09875dd.webp?v=l2ag2tm8

mknight
7th August 2022, 09:48
Evans seems to have declined a bit in both speed and consistency with Rally1 cars.
First in the 4th rally he was seemingly back to normal.

TypeR
7th August 2022, 09:55
Lappi without windscreen, probably was told due to safety reasom

Rally Hokkaido
7th August 2022, 10:11
Lappi without windscreen, probably was told due to safety reasom

Yes, windscreen change or removal is allowed in regroups.

1988senna
7th August 2022, 10:26
I just feel Evans had lost the fighting spirit with Rovanpera. I can't imagine how this can happen because Evans is the person closest to the champion in the last two years. But the result is Rovan can let Evans surrender .That's the things that Ogier never did for Evans

mknight
7th August 2022, 10:33
Who said Rally1 cars don't jump as much?

Fast Eddie WRC
7th August 2022, 10:38
Good job by Huttunen but car issues let him down.

Fast Eddie WRC
7th August 2022, 10:43
Very ordinary rally by Greensmith with one 4th fastest time the only highlight. Should be doing a bit better by now.

Tauri_J
7th August 2022, 10:49
69m by Katsuta

Fast Eddie WRC
7th August 2022, 10:55
Evans season just hadn't worked out with the combination of the new car, his own mistakes and Rovanpera''s speed. Shame.

Fast Eddie WRC
7th August 2022, 11:02
Great to see Mad-Max Lappi get to the end still in 3rd. :D

Humber
7th August 2022, 11:05
Great to see Mad-Max Lappi get to the end still in 3rd. :D

How far is the final time control from the end of the stage?

bomber21
7th August 2022, 11:08
Congrats to Hyundai for building cars that won both top categories in Rally Finland!!!

Fast Eddie WRC
7th August 2022, 11:09
Outstanding drive by Tanak. Epic performance. :champion:

Eli
7th August 2022, 11:09
I knew I should’ve put him first in my pickems, yet I’m so happy he took this win, one of his best!!!

jonkka
7th August 2022, 11:11
How far is the final time control from the end of the stage?

In service park at Jyväskylä. 24 kilometers.

cali
7th August 2022, 11:11
Yesssss! Epic drive and epic rally!

rallyfiend
7th August 2022, 11:15
Bet he remembers his Pirelli cap this time....

Rally Hokkaido
7th August 2022, 11:17
Great fight and probably Ott's toughest win! Congrats to Hyundai Motorsport for sorting their reliability issues....I hope!

irish_tiger
7th August 2022, 11:19
Ott made reference to his wife during the interview after winning - is the lady sick at the moment ?

Eli
7th August 2022, 11:23
This rally felt like what this season could’ve been, hopefully they can keep the momentum from here on out, fingers crossed! An absolute mega weekend from Ott, happy to see him on that top step of the podium again!

mknight
7th August 2022, 11:29
Congrats to Hyundai for building cars that won both top categories in Rally Finland!!!

Yep. How would Tanak end without lunatic drive? I bet not worse than 3rd, maybe 2nd.

The car can't be complete crap then.

Neuville was same like every year here.

cali
7th August 2022, 11:34
Deleted

Walach
7th August 2022, 11:38
Hats off to Ott, what a drive that was.
Now it is time for Thierry to deliver at his home event.

cali
7th August 2022, 11:44
Not fking around?

If so then please delete it.. every reporter is gonna pick it up and start asking..I'm not f@%king around. I have social media post from his wife where she openly states that.

I'm baffled that our media hasn't cought it or they are very sensible on this matter.

rallyfiend
7th August 2022, 11:47
His wife has made it public herself.

There is no need for such secrecy.

AnttiL
7th August 2022, 11:49
That's terrible news! :( Is that also the reason for skipping Monza last year?

cali
7th August 2022, 11:50
That's terrible news! :( Is that also the reason for skipping Monza last year?I believe so

denkimi
7th August 2022, 12:18
So how much points does rovanpera need in ypres to become champion?

Fast Eddie WRC
7th August 2022, 12:18
That's terrible news. No-one knows what other people are going through. This is an example why you shouldn't criticise too much as you never know the full story.

Eli
7th August 2022, 12:27
So how much points does rovanpera need in ypres to become champion?

There’s 150 points yet to be collected and he’s ‘only’ 94 points ahead so from Greece onwards he can get the title.

Päss1928
7th August 2022, 12:29
:)

Tauri_J
7th August 2022, 12:31
Why the hell you had to mention it here? It is probably picked up already.

Fast Eddie WRC
7th August 2022, 12:31
Breen beat Evans on the Power Stage by just 0.009 seconds ! :bounce:

cali
7th August 2022, 12:36
Hey I can delete if that's the opinion

Deleted by requests

WRCStan
7th August 2022, 12:47
They would be total scumbags if they do, but it makes more sense to delete these posts as well, imo.

Media bods probably already know, there's no need to make a big deal scoop out of it and alienate their publication. We immediately joked Ott had been a naughty boy, and people are going to talk after a comment like that. If he wants to half-mention something on live TV, he must expect people will be curious and that it'll become wider public knowledge.

I don't need to know anything more and wish them all the best, but if you all want the comment deleted, lets spend 10 pages debating what he could possibly have meant as we usually do.

macebig
7th August 2022, 12:51
Dang it, the Breen/Puma combination surely has potential for something more. They need to patch things together through a rally weekend first though. Hope for better results in Ypres and Acropolis.

seb_sh
7th August 2022, 13:12
lets spend 10 pages debating what he could possibly have meant as we usually do.

You got the hang of the place already 🙂

Otherwise it was a great rally with a titanic battle at the top. Tanak was at 110% the first two days. The maturity of Kalle is amazing! MSport are being MSport again already.

Sergiow
7th August 2022, 13:13
Dang it, the Breen/Puma combination surely has potential for something more. They need to patch things together through a rally weekend first though. Hope for better results in Ypres and Acropolis.

The ever thoughtful rallyssimo.it chimes in their take on the actual M-Sport crisis:

"Let's start from Monte-Carlo and the only victory captured by a Puma Rally 1. This victory, corroborated by Breen's third place, has certainly galvanized fans all over the world but could also have given an idea of the competitiveness of the car that it was correct at the time, but it is no longer correct now.

It was in fact the first race of the first Rally 1 championship. Ford had started earlier so it was pretty obvious that he could have an advantage, especially over Hyundai (which barely managed to finish the cars in time to send them to Monaco). But then, the two giants involved in the world championship, Toyota and Hyundai, certainly did not stand by and, race after race, they went to improve the performance of their cars. Can the same be said of M-Sport?"

"Confirming this theory is also the decline in the performance of the other riders in the blue oval who, race after race, find less and less space at the top of the test standings. If that's not enough, the very fact of not having carried out pre-event tests in Finland speaks volumes about the chances that the development of the Puma has gone hand in hand with that of rival cars. ( For example based on Motorsport.com article, ahead of this weekend’s Rally Finland Hyundai conducted three test days at its Finland test base, while Toyota completed four days spread across its four entries near to its Finland-based workshop)

If we take this theory for granted, then even Breen's errors can be seen in a different light. Mistakes always are, but when you're forced to run 110% to keep up with others, you're much more likely to make a mistake and pay dearly for it."

https://www.rallyssimo.it/2022/08/06/wrc-crisi-m-sport-e-davvero-tutta-colpa-dei-piloti (https://www.rallyssimo.it/2022/08/06/wrc-crisi-m-sport-e-davvero-tutta-colpa-dei-piloti/)/

logic
7th August 2022, 13:38
Ott made reference to his wife during the interview after winning - is the lady sick at the moment ?

Yes she is

logic
7th August 2022, 13:40
That's terrible news! :( Is that also the reason for skipping Monza last year?

No was a different reason

WRCStan
7th August 2022, 14:07
You got the hang of the place already ��

It's life, same everywhere - online, at the pub, at work. Somebody sparks gossip, facts kill gossip, people do nothing, somebody sparks gossip....

No was a different reason

eib1
7th August 2022, 14:23
https://scontent-arn2-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t39.30808-6/297984198_10225878203133140_5726425737002803867_n. jpg?_nc_cat=107&ccb=1-7&_nc_sid=5cd70e&_nc_ohc=4pTTuae_MTAAX_K4VB8&tn=lebVsScFZn0pK5z7&_nc_ht=scontent-arn2-1.xx&oh=00_AT_ojJrbKbBBTxKBI-ZpGJWndHRDUUwC3ziYtkfoRP-nIg&oe=62F56D5F

macebig
7th August 2022, 14:30
The ever thoughtful rallyssimo.it chimes in their take on the actual M-Sport crisis:

"Let's start from Monte-Carlo and the only victory captured by a Puma Rally 1. This victory, corroborated by Breen's third place, has certainly galvanized fans all over the world but could also have given an idea of the competitiveness of the car that it was correct at the time, but it is no longer correct now.

It was in fact the first race of the first Rally 1 championship. Ford had started earlier so it was pretty obvious that he could have an advantage, especially over Hyundai (which barely managed to finish the cars in time to send them to Monaco). But then, the two giants involved in the world championship, Toyota and Hyundai, certainly did not stand by and, race after race, they went to improve the performance of their cars. Can the same be said of M-Sport?"

"Confirming this theory is also the decline in the performance of the other riders in the blue oval who, race after race, find less and less space at the top of the test standings. If that's not enough, the very fact of not having carried out pre-event tests in Finland speaks volumes about the chances that the development of the Puma has gone hand in hand with that of rival cars. ( For example based on Motorsport.com article, ahead of this weekend’s Rally Finland Hyundai conducted three test days at its Finland test base, while Toyota completed four days spread across its four entries near to its Finland-based workshop)

If we take this theory for granted, then even Breen's errors can be seen in a different light. Mistakes always are, but when you're forced to run 110% to keep up with others, you're much more likely to make a mistake and pay dearly for it."

https://www.rallyssimo.it/2022/08/06/wrc-crisi-m-sport-e-davvero-tutta-colpa-dei-piloti (https://www.rallyssimo.it/2022/08/06/wrc-crisi-m-sport-e-davvero-tutta-colpa-dei-piloti/)/

There are a few flaws in that analysis. A. Nobody has asked Breen to push "110%" until this very weekend B. A nearly middle aged Loeb is running circles around the other Pumas in every appearance and C. Loubet is matching (or surpassing) Greensmith and Fourmaux, despite much less time with the team and the car. Yes, maybe the Puma cannot beat the Rovanpera/Yaris combination (who can?), but the car is surely capable of more than a 7th place.

Tauri_J
7th August 2022, 14:31
Wait is that improvised picture or real?

Quality is potato'ish so cant really tell

TypeR
7th August 2022, 14:39
Wait is that improvised picture or real?

Quality is potato'ish so cant really tell

real :D

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FZj_NFVX0AQAkB8?format=jpg&name=small

argomees
7th August 2022, 14:44
real :D

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FZj_NFVX0AQAkB8?format=jpg&name=smallThis alsohttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20220807/5fbdff0f9ba40b07c52f16a7c574de6f.jpg

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

Sergiow
7th August 2022, 15:15
"I've won a lot of races in my career but this is definitely one of the best. I'm not even talking about the performance but how I won. I had already won twice here in Finland but it was with Toyota, it's different. When you come here with Toyota, you are expected to win. But when you come here with Hyundai and you manage to beat two Finns on the podium, it's magic" confided the placid Ott Tänak to Olivier Gaspard (see https://www.rtbf.be/article/ott-tanak-vainqueur-surprise-en-finlande-on-a-pris-lavantage-au-debut-quand-les-gars-de-toyota-dormaient-11044181

Struggling with his car in Estonia, Tänak had obviously eaten lion three weeks later. How to explain such a change in behavior in his car... when the two rallies are similar, at least according to Thierry Neuville: "These are two different rallies" corrects Tänak straight away. "Estonia is an 'easy' rally, in Finland it's more technical. I still can't say we were happy with the performance of the car here, but we were able to be fast, especially in the at the beginning, when the guys from Toyota were still sleeping a bit. That's when they gave us the advantage and we were able to keep it."

A victory which is therefore likely to put balm in the heart of a Hyundai team weaned from positive thrills for a few months: “If we continue to work well, everything is possible. But we have to work. In Ypres, we will do our best. Last year, it was a little more difficult, we didn't know the stages. Now, we know them, it will be more interesting. I like the Ypres rally, it's a great meeting..."

Danny0405
7th August 2022, 15:58
Great win by Tanak, incredible effort delivered to clinch the win; must admit I wouldn’t think I would see him at this level this year.
Great job also by Kalle who was in a different position with the championship; with a 90+ point-gap lead, he can begin to think about clinching it in Greece (Belgium is theoretically possible but not probable) or, at last, New Zealand.

The rest of the Toyota crew is mewww. It was the very minimum for Lappi to stay in the game for next year (considering his rolling could have cost a lot), Evans was not outstanding and nothing special also from Katsuta considering his experience in Finnish roads but at least, he begins well his second part of season (unlike last year). Neuville has done pretty the same, nothing special, nothing big.

Big disappointment for Solberg who as completly missed the fast-gravel back-to-back opportunity to show himself; will be complicated with the remaining rounds for him. And a true question mark for next year for Hyundai even if it is not the main problem.

And for sure, bad rally for M-Sport; Huttunen was not awful except his issue but nothing special to be underlined for next season; Fourmaux again being Fourmaux; Breen again showing he is not a lead driver; and Loubet and Greensmith, really nothing special.

In WRC-2, good fight between Suninen and Lindholm with also Pajari doing good things before his mistakes. As expected, Paddon was not really able to match for a return.

Galev62
7th August 2022, 16:34
Huttunen had 5 clean stages otherwise always some problem with the car. He had not a lot of kms in puma before and was with in -05-06/per km losing time before the issues with the car started. I think he is far better that loubet, Greensmith and Fourmaux.

logic
7th August 2022, 16:43
Huttunen had 5 clean stages otherwise always some problem with the car. He had not a lot of kms in puma before and was with in -05-06/per km losing time before the issues with the car started. I think he is far better that loubet, Greensmith and Fourmaux.

This is only in finland. Who knows if he would be better in any other rally.

AnttiL
7th August 2022, 16:54
On SS2 Solberg's crash he is already shifting up onto fourth gear on the corner where he crashes. Everyone else keeps on third gear and are even lifting the throttle at the same point. It's not just "bad luck".

Eli
7th August 2022, 17:04
On SS2 Solberg's crash he is already shifting up onto fourth gear on the corner where he crashes. Everyone else keeps on third gear and are even lifting the throttle at the same point. It's not just "bad luck".

Don't think anyone here think bad luck was involved in this case.

Eli
7th August 2022, 17:10
Transcript of the post event press conference: https://www.fia.com/news/wrc-rally-finland-o-tanak-i-was-really-limit-and-over-limit-most-rally

AnttiL
7th August 2022, 17:11
Don't think anyone here think bad luck was involved in this case.

“The rear snapped again, I just lost control and I knew I was never going to get it back”

“I saw the tree and when I hit the tree I thought I was going to spin but unfortunately it rolled over, so I don’t know if you’d call it bad luck or stupid or whatever I don’t know but… yeah difficult. Very difficult.”

“Yeah for sure it’s not easy but it’s been a lot of bad luck”

“OK Croatia and here were accidents but in both the rear snapped, so it’s very difficult to understand why these things happen for myself. ”

https://dirtfish.com/rally/emotional-solberg-explains-rally-finland-crash/

focus206
7th August 2022, 17:29
Impressed by Tanak's performance. It's hard to quantify how much he actually pushed, so I'm not sure how to rate Hyundai's speed here, Neuville looked even slower than usual on fast gravel.
Next one is Ypres, Neuville is the favourite but after a rally without big troubles for the whole Hyundai team, I'd be very surprised if they'll have another.
Another disaster for M-Sport, ironic that Hyundai and M-Sport are having terrible seasons for 2 completely opposite reasons (bad car / bad drivers).

Eli
7th August 2022, 17:42
“The rear snapped again, I just lost control and I knew I was never going to get it back”

“I saw the tree and when I hit the tree I thought I was going to spin but unfortunately it rolled over, so I don’t know if you’d call it bad luck or stupid or whatever I don’t know but… yeah difficult. Very difficult.”

I’m aware he said that, what I meant was, I don’t think anyone in this forum thinks bad luck had been involved.

AnttiL
7th August 2022, 17:44
I’m aware he said that, what I meant was, I don’t think anyone in this forum thinks bad luck had been involved.

And I never claimed anyone on this forum would think it's bad luck. :)

Anyway my point was that he thinks that it's just bad luck when there's something so fundamentally wrong with the driving.

Eli
7th August 2022, 17:48
And I never claimed anyone on this forum would think it's bad luck. :)

Anyway my point was that he thinks that it's just bad luck when there's something so fundamentally wrong with the driving.

Oh, my bad then lol. Yeah Hyundai need to sort this kid out, because atm it seems he’s going straight in reverse.

mknight
7th August 2022, 18:12

Exactly the impression I am getting from his comments.
"the rear snapped" = the car needs fixing or he had bad luck

Imo the main problem is his approach to the very first (proper) corner of the rally. He has nowhere near enough experience to attack it at 110% and he should have no reason to do this at this point either.

EDIT: I also checked the onboard. Basically on exactly the same spot where Tanak lifts and turns in (while in 3rd), Solberg switches to 4th and keeps full throttle. Wonder if that also means ev-boost is still on, which could explain the oversteer while on throttle.

SubaruNorway
7th August 2022, 19:04
My video from Rally Finland
https://youtu.be/AlZPIglb5p0

AnttiL
7th August 2022, 20:22
Suninen disqualified

https://twitter.com/anttil_wrc/status/1556376351720062980?s=21&t=-NvnfPtUalkyQ6VtA_1JhA

mknight
7th August 2022, 20:26
Why do they even have a bumper that is 1 kg (20%) lighter than all the other bumpers laying around? Weird.

AnttiL
7th August 2022, 20:33
Why do they even have a bumper that is 1 kg (20%) lighter than all the other bumpers laying around? Weird.

A cheap copy for testing. Huge mistake from the team to fit that one during the rally.

mknight
7th August 2022, 20:40
Would expect it to be without stickers then. I assume it's the bottom red part:

https://www.ewrc-results.com/image/719315/

Maybe they use stickers also during testing, or have all bumpers without them and fit them first on the car. Anyway these kind of issues are best avoided by making it impossible to mount it, for example by not having it with them to the rally. Or by storing them completely different place and clearly marked. Commercial aviation and space industry have extensive and hard-earned experience of how things need to be make impossible to do the wrong way.

WRCStan
7th August 2022, 21:33
Let's hope they don't weigh Lappi's car.

1988senna
7th August 2022, 23:05
Oh, my bad then lol. Yeah Hyundai need to sort this kid out, because atm it seems he’s going straight in reverse.

Why this kid can get the rally1 car chance again and again. Is that because Petter's hard working in business?? it's just a joke performance compare to Sordo

TypeR
8th August 2022, 03:27
https://www.upload.ee/image/14397299/Rallyfinlandlappi.jpg

I know rules are rules, but how is it possible that it's allowed to drive a stage with a car damaged so much(dangerous also).. yet not allowed to drive liaison on 4 wheels/3 tyres.. :D

Happy for Lappi tho, managed to keep 3rd!