PDA

View Full Version : 2022 - Race 17 Russia

F1nKS
21st February 2022, 21:59
How soon before F1 announces the cancellation of the Russian GP?

airshifter
21st February 2022, 23:46
Well, maybe never. The FIA doesn't seem to get into the political nature of thing much. If it did, we wouldn't be racing in a number of places as is.

F1nKS
22nd February 2022, 02:55
If the various European governments put sanctions on Russia, it won't be in the F1 hands.

But we will see in the coming days what actually happens. Russia owes a lot of money to Western European banks so even though there has been tough talk, walking the walk will be much harder to do.

airshifter
22nd February 2022, 03:55
Well, they held the race in 2014, so I'm not expecting much to change.

Sanctions against a government entity is not sanctions against all citizens. Unless a government restricts travels of the athletes (drivers) then I suspect the race would just run as normal.

Mark
23rd February 2022, 07:03
There's a long way to go yet before the race. But then they are still going ahead with the Champions League final and that is in May I think.

airshifter
23rd February 2022, 19:35
There's a long way to go yet before the race. But then they are still going ahead with the Champions League final and that is in May I think.

Short of major turmoil in the regions that host the sport, they seem to just roll with the instabilities and go ahead as if nothing is happening.

It's been forever since I've seen you post. I thought maybe Pino had banned you or something. :laugh:

F1nKS
24th February 2022, 01:50
If Russia invades Ukraine, I don't see any way that the international community will allow the Sochi race to continue.

F1nKS
24th February 2022, 02:01
If Russia invades Ukraine, I don't see any way that the international community will allow the Sochi race to continue.

Just after I finished typing that, Putin released a statement declaring war on Ukraine and announcing the Russian would be demilitarizing the country by force.

airshifter
24th February 2022, 03:03
At the rate things are going, the next Russian GP might be in the former Ukraine. The UN and the world in general have become nothing more than paper pushers, and I don't see any major actions to stop Russia doing what they want happening. They seem to be moving towards the ways of N. Korea with anything the world does being taken as a threat.

But I still wouldn't rule out that they race there. I guess at this point it all depends on how things go down. I've heard there are rumors that Turkey might be an alternate if things are too crazy in Russia.

F1nKS
24th February 2022, 12:29

UEFA is about to announce the Champions League final to be moved outside of Russia.

Bagwan
24th February 2022, 12:40
I will miss Mazepin .
He was fun to watch , but rubles are worth nothing now .

Is this the way in for Andretti ?

gm99
24th February 2022, 18:14
Kudos for Vettel who has stated that he will not be racing in the Russian GP if if should go ahead (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Qq64seQksY).

F1nKS
24th February 2022, 19:33
Haas is removing all Urkali branding from the car for the final day of testing. Gunther has been pulled from the lunchtime press conference (I suspect to buy time for Haas/F1/FIA to figure things out).

Mazepin is suppose to be in the car on Friday (for now).

Stefano Domenicali is going to be talking to the 10 teams Thursday evening to discuss the Russian grand prix.

airshifter
25th February 2022, 03:29
I hope it's not the end for Haas. I really wouldn't be bothered at all if Mazepin went away, but without the backing I'm not sure they have anything else lined up. I think Gene Haas is tired of coming out of pocket hoping to get some backing.

Credit to Vettel. Though at times I think he's a whiner, he is often the first to stand up for political and social issues.

Bagwan
25th February 2022, 13:37
I hope it's not the end for Haas. I really wouldn't be bothered at all if Mazepin went away, but without the backing I'm not sure they have anything else lined up. I think Gene Haas is tired of coming out of pocket hoping to get some backing.

Credit to Vettel. Though at times I think he's a whiner, he is often the first to stand up for political and social issues.

Gunther says they are OK , money-wise , but it seems like maybe the words "invasion" and "war" weren't included , even in the fine print of the contracts that are in place .
All branding is off , but Nikita is driving , apparently , so they seem to be mid-think on the whole thing .

Haas has been , to me , a lot like the perennial , plucky backmarker Minardi , but has always felt a little tainted by the Russian money involved . It looked like a laundry facility .

I hope they survive , but with a cleaner rep out the other side of this .

Failing that , I would welcome the Andretti name back into F1 .

F1nKS
25th February 2022, 18:27
All branding is off , but Nikita is driving , apparently , so they seem to be mid-think on the whole thing .

Guenther said Pietro Fittpaldi will have first shot of replacing Masespin.

airshifter
26th February 2022, 01:36
Well the FIA released a statement.... they are going to keep an eye on things. I didn't expect much more than that really, it is the FIA.

Putin seems to want the Russia of old... or should I even call it Russia?

Bagwan
26th February 2022, 13:37
Guenther said Pietro Fittpaldi will have first shot of replacing Masespin.

I hope he can bring a whole pile of money with him .

F1nKS
26th February 2022, 21:50
Well the FIA released a statement.... they are going to keep an eye on things. I didn't expect much more than that really, it is the FIA.

FIA canceled. What more would you expect them to say

The executive management of the International Automobile Federation (FIA) Formula One announced its decision to cancel the 2022 F1 Grand Prix in Russia’s Sochi, the press office of F1 said in a statement on Friday.

airshifter
28th February 2022, 04:50
I saw an article about a previous FIA statement that they would be watching the situation. It seems they moved quick at least.

I can hope they act quickly and decisively about track limits issues as well!

F1nKS
2nd March 2022, 12:15
FIA are not banning Russian drivers per se, but there can be no Russian sponsorship or ties.

Great Britain has said that Mazepin (I also suppose any other Russian driver) will not be allowed to take part in any racing in Great Britain.

airshifter
3rd March 2022, 06:52
FIA are not banning Russian drivers per se, but there can be no Russian sponsorship or ties.

Great Britain has said that Mazepin (I also suppose any other Russian driver) will not be allowed to take part in any racing in Great Britain.

It might be interesting to see how this plays out now.

The FIA have decided that Russian drivers can compete under a neutral flag. Depending on contract specifics, Great Britain might not have any choice in the matter.

I suspect as much as anything they are trying to minimize the threat of Mazepin winning the British GP. :laugh:

F1nKS
3rd March 2022, 20:08
It might be interesting to see how this plays out now.

The FIA have decided that Russian drivers can compete under a neutral flag. Depending on contract specifics, Great Britain might not have any choice in the matter.

I suspect as much as anything they are trying to minimize the threat of Mazepin winning the British GP. :laugh:

It is being reported by sky sports that Mazepin is leaving Haas.

airshifter
6th March 2022, 01:25
It is being reported by sky sports that Mazepin is leaving Haas.

Yeah I've seen that after I posted. I did look and I don't know if there is any precedent over what a country can prohibit individual of the FIA without breaching FIA protocols. In short, wondering if a country could lose a race or face penalties if they ban one driver.

And as much as I think he's been fairly useless, quite a blow to Mazepin. He didn't start any wars, and managed to bring enough money in to get a ride out of the deal.

The Black Knight
6th March 2022, 08:18
Yeah I've seen that after I posted. I did look and I don't know if there is any precedent over what a country can prohibit individual of the FIA without breaching FIA protocols. In short, wondering if a country could lose a race or face penalties if they ban one driver.

And as much as I think he's been fairly useless, quite a blow to Mazepin. He didn't start any wars, and managed to bring enough money in to get a ride out of the deal.

Mazepin was useless, his presence on the grid was a waste of a seat. I agree it's harsh on him but he was not there for his talents. I'm happy he's gone. Hopefully Haas will give the seat to a deserving driver.

Bagwan
6th March 2022, 13:00

He was not fired because he is Russian , but because his dad's money was cut off .
He was there because he brought money , and now it's gone , so he is , too .

He got a lot of stick because of being a "pay driver" , but we need to remember that the rest of the guys on the grid aren't slow , and he was in the slowest car , so was never going to set the world on fire .
That said , he didn't really belong .

airshifter
6th March 2022, 23:16
Understood Bagwan. What I was speaking of is the UK ban that had already been stated. I'm not sure if it's that easy or if the FIA has a say in things.

Bagwan
7th March 2022, 13:45
Understood Bagwan. What I was speaking of is the UK ban that had already been stated. I'm not sure if it's that easy or if the FIA has a say in things.

Yeah , all I was saying was that it was all academic , as he was fired because he lost his funding .

Certainly , there is now a need for the FIA to sit down with all it's members to work out a solution to this situation where a member of the group speaks for itself against the policy of the whole .

This could be a fundamental "deal breaker" moment for the group , and I do hope they are treating it that way .

F1 , itself is at risk .

airshifter
8th March 2022, 00:20
Apparently the FIA has asked all drivers from Russia or Belarus to sign a specific contract, with details of the "neutral flag" and identification issues and such.

https://dirtfish.com/rally/wrc/fia-reveals-commitment-form-for-russian-and-belarusian-drivers/

Beyond showing no flags or symbols of the country, it goes in depth with a clause about possible further measures.

A team has already exited the WEC due to not signing the agreement. Daniil Kvyat would have been one of the drivers.

I'm not sure how I feel about all of this. I'm guessing no motorsport team had a hand in Putin's decisions, and a neutral flag is one thing. I understand removing livery and major symbols of a country, but a small patch or something isn't hurting anything. You can't change the country a driver represents regardless of the actions of said countries leadership.

But at the same time they are essentially saying further decisions could be made, leaving them somewhat in limbo as to whether they could make it through a a season even if they accept the full provisions of the neutrality part.

Zico
8th March 2022, 23:10
Apparently the FIA has asked all drivers from Russia or Belarus to sign a specific contract, with details of the "neutral flag" and identification issues and such.

https://dirtfish.com/rally/wrc/fia-reveals-commitment-form-for-russian-and-belarusian-drivers/

Beyond showing no flags or symbols of the country, it goes in depth with a clause about possible further measures.

A team has already exited the WEC due to not signing the agreement. Daniil Kvyat would have been one of the drivers.

I'm not sure how I feel about all of this. I'm guessing no motorsport team had a hand in Putin's decisions, and a neutral flag is one thing. I understand removing livery and major symbols of a country, but a small patch or something isn't hurting anything. You can't change the country a driver represents regardless of the actions of said countries leadership.

But at the same time they are essentially saying further decisions could be made, leaving them somewhat in limbo as to whether they could make it through a a season even if they accept the full provisions of the neutrality part.

While I'm totally not cool with what has happened in Ukraine, I'm of the opinion that sport should not be used as a platform for geo politics in any way shape or form and should be 100% neutral like it largely used to be.

I remember FIFA banning the wearing of poppies a few years ago as it was deemed a political statement... I don't feel that it is but that is beside the point. Then all of that changed when the Gay pride and BLM virtue signalling came in... and also into F1.

We are bombarded with it on social media daily, can't we all at least have one part of our lives free and untainted by it and can enjoy sport without all that BS?

The football game played in no mans land between the German and British soldiers on Christmas day during WW1 comes to mind for some reason.
Probably the putting aside of their differences that strikes a chord with me. There is something quite moving about that.

We don't punish children for the sins of their parents because its clearly wrong.... and in my humble opinion, this is also wrong.

F1nKS
9th March 2022, 20:18
Kevin Magnuson is picking up the Haas seat for the departed Mazepin.:)

airshifter
9th March 2022, 21:56
While I'm totally not cool with what has happened in Ukraine, I'm of the opinion that sport should not be used as a platform for geo politics in any way shape or form and should be 100% neutral like it largely used to be.

I remember FIFA banning the wearing of poppies a few years ago as it was deemed a political statement... I don't feel that it is but that is beside the point. Then all of that changed when the Gay pride and BLM virtue signalling came in... and also into F1.

We are bombarded with it on social media daily, can't we all at least have one part of our lives free and untainted by it and can enjoy sport without all that BS?

The football game played in no mans land between the German and British soldiers on Christmas day during WW1 comes to mind for some reason.
Probably the putting aside of their differences that strikes a chord with me. There is something quite moving about that.

We don't punish children for the sins of their parents because its clearly wrong.... and in my humble opinion, this is also wrong.

I feel much the same. Not raising the flag or playing the anthem on the podium I could understand, after all that might drag political views into the picture. But the drivers should not face such strict penalties. They can't change where they were born or live on a moments notice, and they don't start wars.

I personally think that the political and social justice things in F1 currently shouldn't be. If the drivers want to make a statement of stand, let them do it on their own free time. I wouldn't oppose some small symbol of support on a car or drivers uniform, but all of it has opened the gates to what is considered "the norm" within motorsports IMHO.

Kevin Magnuson is picking up the Haas seat for the departed Mazepin.:)

It was a good choice IMHO. I'm sure they don't have wads of money, and Keven already has familiarity with the team. Though he isn't a top rated driver, his background with the team might help with development and communication issues. They don't have much time to find the replacement either, so that factors in.

gm99
18th May 2022, 18:41
The FIA have announced that there will not be a replacement for the Russian GP this season, reducing the number of races this year to 22.
I am a bit surprised no organizer wanted to step in; it would have been nice to see Portimao back on the schedule, for instance.

F1nKS
20th May 2022, 03:56
With inflation, rising fuel, travel and freight costs the alternatives were too costly.