PDA

View Full Version : Max - Long Term Future in Doubt

F1nKS
7th February 2022, 02:21
Almost another Nico...

A demanding 2021 Formula 1 campaign left champion Max Verstappen feeling drained and doubting his long-term future in the sport, according to Red Bull advisor Helmut Marko

Max went on to say

And Max also said that he couldn't stand such an intensity anymore.

“He still wants to drive for a while, but if that's the case every year, then it [his career] is limited."

The mental toughness of Lewis Hamilton to endure year after year the pressures may be understated and this makes him one of the greatest drivers of all time.

airshifter
8th February 2022, 02:31
I'm sure a season like this one is taxing on both of them. Let's face it, Lewis went into media blackout. But I expect them both to be back.

As for mental toughness for Lewis, I'd say his years at Merc gave him a break for a while. Granted he had to deal with Nico and lost out one year, but he knew if he had a decent upper hand they would support him as a #1 until Nico lit things up. Even then, the car was dominant so it was probably less intense than this year.

Nitrodaze
28th February 2022, 18:40
Well, he is a world champion already. He has achieved what his father was unable to achieve. He is rich. So l get it. The next few years are going to be super intense. With the fight for dominance when Hamilton finally retires in a season or two [if he wins his elusive eighth title] heating up in the company of very hungry and determined challengers like Leclerc, Norris and Russell. Not to forget Sainz, Gasly and Ocon.

F1nKS
2nd March 2022, 12:19
Russell seemed to hit the ground running last weekend. Seems very mature for his age.

I don't think with the quality of drivers out there that Max will ever be able to do a Lewis and roll off a series of championships - it will be a dog fight year after year, and that is if he is in a competitive car.

flat_right
2nd March 2022, 13:07
Russell seemed to hit the ground running last weekend. Seems very mature for his age.

I don't think with the quality of drivers out there that Max will ever be able to do a Lewis and roll off a series of championships - it will be a dog fight year after year, and that is if he is in a competitive car.

It all depends on what car he will have. If it is as dominant as Merc was, then I could see that happening.

Zico
2nd March 2022, 18:37

I'm not sure about that, I think you must be forgetting how dominant the Merc was at times. Several drivers on the grid could have had a similar haul with Merc IMO.

Last season Max gave it everything and more, it will have taken a lot out of him and he won't fancy many more seasons as hard as that. However, if Red Bull somehow turn as dominant as Merc have been in recent years, I bet he'd stay then.

Mia 01
2nd March 2022, 19:01
I belive Max will compete in F1 for many years to come. His father will see to that.

airshifter
2nd March 2022, 19:06
Several different news sources state that Max has either signed or is about to sign a multi-year deal for big money.

Since reports still vary I'm not going to add any links, but it's all over.

With a car that is dominant the way Mercedes was I think there are a number of drivers that could roll a number of championships in a row. I really hope that no team establishes dominance with the new regulation.

airshifter
3rd March 2022, 17:48
It's now being reported that Max has signed with Red Bull through 2028.

That's a long contract in the world of Formula 1, and with the new regulations might be a risky venture. But then again it's so much money you can't really lose....

F1nKS
3rd March 2022, 19:59
Definitely can say that my title for this thread is off.

It does seem that the younger guys like Max, Leclerc, Lando are breaking the paradigm on formula 1 contracts.

Bagwan
4th March 2022, 13:12
"The mental toughness of Lewis Hamilton to endure year after year the pressures may be understated and this makes him one of the greatest drivers of all time."

So , was this over the top , too , then ?

airshifter
6th March 2022, 01:28
"The mental toughness of Lewis Hamilton to endure year after year the pressures may be understated and this makes him one of the greatest drivers of all time."

I think it's safe to say this year was probably tougher on both Lewis and Max then most years would have been on anyone in recent history. And we have to keep in mind that the quote came from Marko, not Max. So while Marko might have been thinking it, Max might have been counting money and knowing all along he would do it again, regardless of how tough it could be.

Zico
7th March 2022, 21:32
I think it's safe to say this year was probably tougher on both Lewis and Max then most years would have been on anyone in recent history. And we have to keep in mind that the quote came from Marko, not Max. So while Marko might have been thinking it, Max might have been counting money and knowing all along he would do it again, regardless of how tough it could be.

Yep, that sounds more likely..

Marko - 'i know its only a 10% increase on your current contract but you have burned your bridges with Merc and both Ferrari seats look to be taken long term, so where else could you go?'

Max - ' Perhaps.. but you know it's been a really tough season, I'm exhausted.. maybe I will stop'

Marko - ' No, no.. it's ok, we will go with the 50% increase for the new contract then...

:D

airshifter
7th March 2022, 23:55
Yep, that sounds more likely..

Marko - 'i know its only a 10% increase on your current contract but you have burned your bridges with Merc and both Ferrari seats look to be taken long term, so where else could you go?'

Max - ' Perhaps.. but you know it's been a really tough season, I'm exhausted.. maybe I will stop'

Marko - ' No, no.. it's ok, we will go with the 50% increase for the new contract then...

:D

I hadn't really thought about it in the sense of a possible negotiation scheme. But if so, it worked well for Max.

Maybe Lewis just knows to keep quiet until he's made his decisions, and thus the reason for the media blackout. Max might not have learned that lesson yet, or as above.... it might have been negotiation games.

Mia 01
8th March 2022, 13:24
And how long will Hamilton continue?

Bagwan
8th March 2022, 15:19

I wasn't questioning the toughness of either of them .
I figured both would be back .

I wonder if it's tougher for a back marker , really .

My point was that perhaps the mental toughness of Lewis Hamilton isn't understated at all because Max didn't quit , and perhaps never really thought about quitting at all , so maybe it doesn't specifically make him one of the greatest drivers of all time .
I reacted to the "gushing" in the quote .

Top money goes to the guys that must deliver .
I'm sorry if I don't feel sorry for them if they can't do the job .