PDA

View Full Version : It's "McLaren"

Dave B
16th May 2007, 15:44
It's called McLaren (http://www.mclaren.com/) :!:

Not MacLaren, Mclaren, MaClaren, MacClaren, Merclaren, M'Claren or any of the other misspellings I've seen on these forums recently.

Phew, I'm glad that's off my chest!

:p

Iain
16th May 2007, 15:53
I'm 1/8th McLaren and it annoys me to see it misspelt like that as well.

I'm actually 1/8th Hamilton as well, but I don't think I'm related to either. :p :

maxu05
16th May 2007, 16:05
It could be worse if the team was Smiff or Joans :laugh:

Caroline
16th May 2007, 17:41
It bothers me that I get bothered by incorrect spelling and poor punctuation. If I was a moderator I would be going round correcting all the spellings (in red).

BDunnell
16th May 2007, 17:51
It bothers me that I get bothered by incorrect spelling and poor punctuation. If I was a moderator I would be going round correcting all the spellings (in red).

Me too, but I get called pompous for it. ;)

It seems that wanting things to be written correctly is now an elitist thing.

janneppi
16th May 2007, 18:10
And while were at it, it's Räikkönen, not Raikkonen, Raikonnen, Raikonen or Raekonnen. :p :

schmenke
16th May 2007, 18:26

Oh, give it a rest Caoline!

Ian McC
16th May 2007, 19:33
I guess it must be an age thing :p :

Daniel
16th May 2007, 20:07
Me too, but I get called pompous for it. ;)

It seems that wanting things to be written correctly is now an elitist thing.
http://www.motorsportforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=113050&page=7

It seems that in this day and age you have to accept someone whose first language is English doesn't know the difference between a kick and a punch :mark:

P.S Give it a rest Caoline.

inimitablestoo
16th May 2007, 20:37
I thought it'd get worse with a McClaren running the English football team, but I can't say I've seen too many misspellings around of late. Besides, the football conclusion may not last too much longer... ;)

janneppi
16th May 2007, 20:55

Not MacLaren, Mclaren, MaClaren, MacClaren, Merclaren, M'Claren or any of the other misspellings I've seen on these forums recently.

So it's McLaren and MacGyver, not MacLaren and McGyver, for the love of Pete Thornton, decide one way or the other, leave the 'a' alltogether or have it in every MacWhatever :)

kalasend
16th May 2007, 21:01

Massa says "Macalaren"

Ian McC
16th May 2007, 21:29
So it's McLaren and MacGyver, not MacLaren and McGyver, for the love of Pete Thornton, decide one way or the other, leave the 'a' alltogether or have it in every MacWhatever :)

:eek:

http://www.macgyveronline.org/control/macgyver.jpg

Hawkmoon
16th May 2007, 22:50
And while were at it, it's Räikkönen, not Raikkonen, Raikonnen, Raikonen or Raekonnen. :p :

I can't find the funny dot thing you put over the vowels on my keyboard! :confused: :D

Bezza
16th May 2007, 23:02
Dave you numpty its Steve McClaren ! I'll accept "Useless to$$er" as well though.

rlenis
16th May 2007, 23:14
and do you think this post is going to make people write mclaren the correct way?

BDunnell
16th May 2007, 23:36

It seems that in this day and age you have to accept someone whose first language is English doesn't know the difference between a kick and a punch :mark:

Don't get that one, I'm afraid, even with reference to that link...

BDunnell
16th May 2007, 23:36
and do you think this post is going to make people write mclaren the correct way?

I think it ought to be possible.

rlenis
16th May 2007, 23:40
Do you actually think that I am going to do shift+"m" and shift+"l" to type mclaren correctly just to please someone who has a problem reading it incorrectly ?

BDunnell
16th May 2007, 23:49
I don't think that typing capital letters is unduly difficult.

It's a small thing, but it does bug me — and, clearly, others here.

nigelred5
17th May 2007, 00:51
I spose we PROLLY(EEK!) should spell McLaren correctly.
I was flamed for three pages for flipping out on a member of another forum asking that he please!! type the word "probably", though he simply continued to further demonstrate his sheer utter ignorance for the next three days. I don't care what kind of internet slang /short-hand it may be, it just ends up as yet another *******ization of the written and the spoken english language; the queens or the american version!

rlenis
17th May 2007, 01:06
I don't think that typing capital letters is unduly difficult.

witting mclaren all lowercase in no different then typing "OMG" , "IIRC", "IMHO", "WFT" .
both of these are written this way due to laziness.

Valve Bounce
17th May 2007, 01:07

OBOY!! are we gettin pickey hear. Next we will be telling guys not to say those red cars, and to spell Ferari correctly. :confused: :( Thank God! Agoori is easy to spell. :p :

Valve Bounce
17th May 2007, 01:08
I spose we PROLLY(EEK!) should spell McLaren correctly.
I was flamed for three pages for flipping out on a member of another forum asking that he please!! type the word "probably", though he simply continued to further demonstrate his sheer utter ignorance for the next three days. I don't care what kind of internet slang /short-hand it may be, it just ends up as yet another *******ization of the written and the spoken english language; the queens or the american version!

I still don't know how to spell dissappointed :(

rlenis
17th May 2007, 01:20
neither can I spell certantly correctly. The good thing is I use the Firefox browser which underlines the incorrect spelled words. It's help me a lot.

Valve Bounce
17th May 2007, 01:27
neither can I spell certantly correctly. The good thing is I use the Firefox browser which underlines the incorrect spelled words. It's help me a lot.

Dang: how do I get this Firefox thang? :eek:

rlenis
17th May 2007, 01:32
that wuld be
http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/

ChrisS
17th May 2007, 03:27
Mc is the abbreviation of Mac

wmcot
17th May 2007, 05:28
This might be the early warning sign of McOCD. ;)

Seriously, sometimes you type too fast and mess up and some people have problems with spelling (sometimes the keyboard is bad). Some don't even speak English as their first language. I don't think we should require a competency test to be able to post your opinion on the forum.

There are only a few who purposely mis-spell names, manufacturers, etc. and think the are clever. I suggest we ignore them and let them amuse themselves.

Storm
17th May 2007, 07:12

:laugh:

Valve Bounce
17th May 2007, 07:20

:D :D :rotflmao:

janneppi
17th May 2007, 08:33
I can't find the funny dot thing you put over the vowels on my keyboard! :confused: :D

http://www.starr.net/is/type/altnum.htm
ä Alt+0228 or Alt+132 (numpad numbers)
ö Alt+0246 or Alt+148 (numpad numbers)

There you go, simple as developing cure for cancer. :p :

Donney
17th May 2007, 09:59

I plead myself guilty :erm:

Valve Bounce
17th May 2007, 13:27
I plead myself guilty :erm:

We could call him Kimi -
and we could call the MacLaren "BRUCE" :p :

donKey jote
17th May 2007, 14:15
Massa says "Macalaren"

in Spain they had a song about them...
Hey McLarena :dozey:

Flat.tyres
17th May 2007, 14:29
Well, I guess I'm the worlds worst at spelling etc. I must have written McLaren thousands of times and know how it's spelt but still get it wrong. Without a spell checker, I wouldn't be able to survive. In fact, the only reason this post is correct is because I typed it in Word and pasted it back in here. Sorry, will try a bit harder :)

ClarkFan
17th May 2007, 14:55
and we could call the MacLaren "BRUCE" :p :

I'd be for that. He seems to be forgotten in the team's history these days, and he deserved better.

ClarkFan

BDunnell
17th May 2007, 19:55
I'd be for that. He seems to be forgotten in the team's history these days, and he deserved better.

ClarkFan

The painting of the team's cars orange prior to finalisation of their colour schemes in recent seasons has been a nice nod to the past, I think. But you are right — he has become a rather forgotten figure to some extent. I suppose this is inevitable in modern F1.

schmenke
17th May 2007, 20:54
The painting of the team's cars orange prior to finalisation of their colour schemes in recent seasons has been a nice nod to the past, I think... .

I assume that you're talking about the team's test livery?
Until now I never realised why they chose orange :up: .
I just assumed that they got a good deal on orange paint :erm: :D

fizzicist
17th May 2007, 21:25
Do you actually think that I am going to do shift+"m" and shift+"l" to type mclaren correctly just to please someone who has a problem reading it incorrectly ?

Well if you can't be arsed to move your little finger to the shift key, that doesn't say a great deal for how much effort you put into your thought process. Thus the post probably isn't worth reading anyway.

Hawkmoon
17th May 2007, 23:00
http://www.starr.net/is/type/altnum.htm
ä Alt+0228 or Alt+132 (numpad numbers)
ö Alt+0246 or Alt+148 (numpad numbers)

There you go, simple as developing cure for cancer. :p :

Bloody hell! It'd take hours to write anything like that! :eek:

Ian McC
17th May 2007, 23:27

Wonder if any of them are under 30?

Valve Bounce
17th May 2007, 23:50

Wish I were. I pray every night but it doesn't work. :(

BDunnell
17th May 2007, 23:53

I'm under 30!

Valve Bounce
17th May 2007, 23:57
I'm under 30!

Lucky you!! hang onto it :(

rlenis
18th May 2007, 01:14
Well if you can't be arsed to move your little finger to the shift key, that doesn't say a great deal for how much effort you put into your thought process. Thus the post probably isn't worth reading anyway.

it has nothing to do with thought process, what are you talking about? Its about being lazy. I know how its written but I just dont feel like capitalizing the M and L. If people were not lazy when typing we wouldn't see things like IMHO, WTF..etc..etc .etc in forums. get a grip.

Flat.tyres
18th May 2007, 13:04
In some cases its not being lazy. I know how to spell some words but always get them wrong as I have a bit of a problem with them. I will read back and not be able to pick up that there is no capital at the start of a sentence unless it goes through the spell checker so if I make mistakes, please don't think I'm doing it on purpose.

I have installed a spell checker on my browser now so just have to get into the habit of using it.

Webslinger
18th May 2007, 13:26
Alt 132 = ä
Alt 148 = ö
Räikkönen

It's true - it works!

Now, how do I remember those numbers when I'm 30+..?

Valve Bounce
18th May 2007, 13:36
Alt 132 = ä
Alt 148 = ö
Räikkönen

It's true - it works!

Now, how do I remember those numbers when I'm 30+..?

Buddy!! when you are 30+ , you'll have other things to worry about. Then when you get to my age, you won't give a damn. :(

Webslinger
18th May 2007, 18:52
VB, I was being a touch conservative with the 30+ remark... I reckon we are perhaps closer than you could imagine.

rlenis
18th May 2007, 20:18
I am older then 30 but younger than 31 and I wish I was 13 so I could be Karting right now.

fizzicist
18th May 2007, 20:59
it has nothing to do with thought process, what are you talking about? Its about being lazy. I know how its written but I just dont feel like capitalizing the M and L. If people were not lazy when typing we wouldn't see things like IMHO, WTF..etc..etc .etc in forums. get a grip.

"I don't feel like..." is just another way of saying "'I can't be bothered". How would you feel if everyone started missing letters out of your name because they didn't feel like spelling it properly?

There is an enormous difference between abbreviating a word or sequence of words into an acronym, and deliberately ignoring basic punctuation. I can't profess to be anywhere near perfect myself, but bad grammar and punctuation really ticks me off.

It also counts for a great deal. If I get an email from someone at work with no punctuation or lazy grammar, it immediately affects my impression of that person's professional capabilities. A lazy mind shows itself in many ways, and this is one of them.

BDunnell
18th May 2007, 21:04
It also counts for a great deal. If I get an email from someone at work with no punctuation or lazy grammar, it immediately affects my impression of that person's professional capabilities. A lazy mind shows itself in many ways, and this is one of them.

Absolutely right. :up:

Wilderness
18th May 2007, 22:15
No Queen's english, no care... oh, better get back to the First Foot forums and talk keech there...

Gannex
18th May 2007, 23:05
I'm not especially bothered by bad spelling or punctuation, unless the lack of punctuation makes the meaning unclear, though I have to admit I prefer posts that are spelt and punctuated correctly. For me, it's a matter of aesthetics. It's just like I prefer to listen to someone who has cleared his throat, or is not mumbling; it just makes the experience more pleasant, like being in a clean room rather than a messy one. But it's not as important to me as it seems to be to others on this board.

But I do agree with you, fizz, about sloppily written communications at work. In the workplace I have pretty high standards and have little tolerance for employees who can't be bothered to, or are incapable of writing properly. But this is an entertainment forum. Here, it seems a little pedantic to expect everyone to work that hard at making their posts perfect. We're supposed to be relaxing, after all. So I don't let maclaren or ferari bother me.

Brown, Jon Brow
18th May 2007, 23:18
We're supposed to be relaxing, after all. So I don't let maclaren or ferari bother me.

What about Reno?

I have no respect for anyone that uses 'lol'

Although I am guilty of using it before, but that is just because I have the ability to communicating with people from all walks of life. :andrea:

Valve Bounce
19th May 2007, 00:31
Look, I don't want to be dogmatic here. I fully realise there are some who appreciate proper spelling, English and so on here. However, I noticed that some new guys are from countries which don't speak English, and they try awfully hard to communicate here and be part of the Motorsport Forum family, and I welcome them.

So, as far as I am concerned, things like English, spelling, if incorrect should be OK (In my view). But if guys start to use text languages, then it is up to the mods, and not us, to pull them up.

We can't have too many cowboys running the show here, even if the are well spoken and spell perfectly. Let the mods decide - that's what I reckon.

rlenis
19th May 2007, 01:55
. In the workplace I have pretty high standards and have little tolerance for employees who can't be bothered to, or are incapable of writing properly. But this is an entertainment forum. Here, it seems a little pedantic to expect everyone to work that hard at making their posts perfect. We're supposed to be relaxing, after all. So I don't let maclaren or ferari bother me.

completely agree with you here. At work not one expects to read something that looks like it was coming from a 15 year old.

wmcot
19th May 2007, 06:23
Look, I don't want to be dogmatic here. I fully realise there are some who appreciate proper spelling, English and so on here. However, I noticed that some new guys are from countries which don't speak English, and they try awfully hard to communicate here and be part of the Motorsport Forum family, and I welcome them.

So, as far as I am concerned, things like English, spelling, if incorrect should be OK (In my view). But if guys start to use text languages, then it is up to the mods, and not us, to pull them up.

We can't have too many cowboys running the show here, even if the are well spoken and spell perfectly. Let the mods decide - that's what I reckon.

Totally agree! (By the way, you left the "y" off the word "they" in the first sentence of your third paragraph) ;)

fizzicist
20th May 2007, 20:18

I agree with 90% of what you say Valve - especially the point about people who's first language is something other than English. These are usually distinct from English speakers who just don't bother with punctuation and I don't have a problem with this at all.

It's something that makes me tick a bit really, language allows you to express yourself fully, which it the most precious gift anyone can have. Now I fully appreciate that a great many people are dyslexic, but those who are not, and choose to ignore basic punctuation, grammar and syntax? Well pretty poor form in my book.

fizzicist
20th May 2007, 20:23
i agree with ninety percent of what you say valve especially the point about people who's first language is something other than english these are usually distinct from english speakers who just don't bother with punctuation and I don't have a problem with this at all its something that makes me tick a bit really language allows you to express yourself fully which it the most precious gift anyone can have now I fully appreciate that a great many people are dyslexic but those who are not and choose to ignore basic punctuation grammar and syntax well pretty poor form in my book

Apologies for repeating myself, but the post previous to this, said precisely the same thing. However this one has no punctuation.

Which is easier to read and digest? How many people got two lines in and just ignored this because it was difficult to comprehend? ;)

We all have the same opportunity to express ourselves clearly. Use it. Millions don't have that opportunity.

inimitablestoo
21st May 2007, 19:51
How many people got two lines in and just ignored this because it was difficult to comprehend? ;) Not me... I didn't even get to the end of the first line :s

Dzeidzei
21st May 2007, 23:07
In some cases its not being lazy.

In some cases it certainly is not. In some cases people give the impression of being stupid if they write Raikonnen etc.

Its like with the Swedes. They regularly spell all Finnish names wrong and there are only 2 possible explanations. They either are arrogant, ignorant and fell superior or they are stupid.

I know what they are, but maybe people here should think about their own excuse :) If you give an impression of being stupid, how is anyone going to take your post seriously. So check the spelling, capital letters or not.

But it can also be a lot of fun. Id get all the Spanish guys mad spelling Alonsio all over again....

Fernandio Alonsio, is that it? Or Hernando Alonsio? Edmundo Alonso? Hortensia Alonsious?

Valve Bounce
22nd May 2007, 03:42
In some cases it certainly is not. In some cases people give the impression of being stupid if they write Raikonnen etc.

Its like with the Swedes. They regularly spell all Finnish names wrong and there are only 2 possible explanations. They either are arrogant, ignorant and fell superior or they are stupid.

I know what they are, but maybe people here should think about their own excuse :) If you give an impression of being stupid, how is anyone going to take your post seriously. So check the spelling, capital letters or not.

But it can also be a lot of fun. Id get all the Spanish guys mad spelling Alonsio all over again....

Fernandio Alonsio, is that it? Or Hernando Alonsio? Edmundo Alonso? Hortensia Alonsious?

OK, I hereby declare myself stupid. So when I post and anyone wishes to avoid my spelling mistakes, or stupid short cuts like calling Kimi "Kimi", then please just skip my posts - I won't be offended.

Dzeidzei
22nd May 2007, 11:13
OK, I hereby declare myself stupid. So when I post and anyone wishes to avoid my spelling mistakes, or stupid short cuts like calling Kimi "Kimi", then please just skip my posts - I won't be offended.

Thats fine, I skip your posts anyway, Beyonce :)

Big Ben
22nd May 2007, 12:22

Talking about stupid things... nice post... I'll be glad to find out more about your problems with "the Swedes".

"I'd get" not "Id get"

I prefer Raikiki

Valve Bounce
22nd May 2007, 12:48
Thats fine, I skip your posts anyway, Beyonce :)

Thank you for that nice gesture.

Dzeidzei
22nd May 2007, 18:10
Thank you for that nice gesture.

I think too many people here are way too serious. Buy a sense of humor, get a life, get drunk, get laid, do anything but stop bitching about things that could not mean less.

The remark on Swedes was a joke (I know you dont have a sense of humour), Beyonce was a joke. This is a joke.

And yes, Im a joke too. But for f*cks sake, this is only a F1 forum.

The only thing thats NOT funny is to be forced to point out thats its all a joke.

schmenke
22nd May 2007, 18:27
...we wouldn't see things like... WTF...

I'd prefer to not see that at all... :s

schmenke
22nd May 2007, 18:28
...f*cks ...

...or that :s