PDA

View Full Version : The Farcical 2021 Season

Nitrodaze
13th December 2021, 11:40
The season started with Mercedes showing signs of lacking the pace to lead the field this season. Redbull emerged as the car to beat. With their clear advantage, Redbull failed to put a gap between itself and Mercedes while Mercedes was struggling through the first half of the season. At the start of the second half of the season Mercedes turned up with a faster car, They finally got their heads around understanding how to generate speed from their W12 chassis. The Mercedes noticeably now featured a raked car going forward.

Silverstone presented us with evidence that the W12 was now as fast as the Redbull and slightly faster on the straights. This was the first race where Hamilton felt he had the car to properly fight with Verstappen. And this proper battle ended with a crash and Verstappen in the barriers. Meanwhile, Mercedes have managed to be ahead in the constructor championship, but the driver's championship was very close with Verstappen ahead by 33 points at this stage.
[Hamilton penalized for causing a collision for attacking on the inside of the corner]

The next occasion that a proper battle between Verstappen and Hamilton occurred was at Monza. At this point, the W12 had become quite formidable and was favourite to win Monza. Verstappen on his back foot drove a very aggressive race and Hamilton was primed to give as good as he got. And they took each other out. Negating Hamilton's opportunity to reclaim the title lead.
[Verstappen not found at fault for causing a collision by attacking on the inside of the corner]

Then the shocker of the season happened at COTA. A race Mercedes were favourites to win was won By Verstappen. Redbull had done incredible work to find a setup that gave the Redbull better straight-line speed.

With six races to go, Verstappen only needed to win at least three races to be the world champion. He won Mexico with ease, but Brazil which most felt was a Redbull race went to Hamilton. Sao Paolo presented the third controversial race of the season. Verstappen attacks on the inside of the corner, unable to stop runs wide taking Hamilton with him off the track.
[Verstappen not found at fault for attacking on the inside and running Hamilton off the track]

Hamilton wins the three races leading up to the final race in Abu Dhabi. In so doing, levels on points with Verstappen. He effectively wiped out a 28 point deficit. The penultimate race at Saudi Arabia showcased another controversial race. Verstappen overtakes off track on two occasions and was asked to give the place back on both occasions. But on the second occasion, a collision occurred resulting from Verstappen applying his brake suddenly with Hamilton directly behind him.
[Verstappen found to have brake tested Hamilton and caused a collision by so doing]

At this point, there was so much talk about the possibility that Verstappen would try to use dirty tactics to win the championship. A professional foul taking himself and Hamilton out was anticipated. It nearly happened in Jeddah. All eyes were now on Abu Dhabi as it was clear the Mercedes was the faster car.

For Abu Dhabi, Redbull had set up the car for qualifying. Verstappen put down a truly magnificent lap to take pole. At the start of the race, Verstappen had an uncharacteristic poor start and Hamilton took the lead of the race from second. This sets us up for the first controversy of the race. Hamilton in the lead takes an unusually wide line through the first corner, leaving an inviting gap that Verstappen duly drove into. He took the corner at such speed, such that he had very little control to take the corner without collision with Hamilton. Hamilton as if anticipating this took avoiding action cutting the corner both rejoining the race still in the lead.
[Hamilton not found at fault of gaining an advantage by cutting the corner]

Opinions were divided on this decision. Did Hamilton gain enough advantage that would have prevented Versdtappen from overtaking him if both had gone through the corner side by side? Or was it an automatic give up the place if you cut the corner? The stewards correctly found that any gained advantage had to be given back. They did not think there was enough advantage gained for Verstappen to be ahead. And they also took a hard stance on drivers pushing other drivers off the track intentionally.

The race disintegrated into a farce after Latifi of Williams crashed with about six laps or so to go. The safety car was sent out by Race Control and Redbull instantly pitted Verstappen for fresh soft tyres. Meanwhile, the Mercedes pit wall had opted for Hamilton to stay out on very old medium tyres in the lead of the race. Verstappen rejoined the safety car trail in 7th with five backmarkers between himself and Hamilton.

Race Control informed the teams that lapped cars would not be required to overtake the safety car. The Redbull pit wall became animated and asked for the lapped car to unlap themselves. The whole race turned on one phrase by Horner to Masi; "We only need one lap". Soon after that exchange, Race Control did a surprising about-turn and instructed only the cars between Hamilton and Verstappen to unlap themselves, much to Mercedes' constellation. The five cars unlapped themselves and brought Verstappen with fresh soft tyres behind Hamiton with very old medium tyres and created a situation that was by no sense of imagination a contest. It was like taking candy off a child. It was the unfairest lap in F1 history. This was not motor racing as Masi put it. It was a sanctioned mugging.

If we go by the full season, Verstappen was deserving of winning the championship. But deserving does not equate to giving it to him via unfair means. He needs to go up against his opponent and win it fair and square. This was not the case. He won under very dubious conditions which taint his claim to be an F1 drivers champion. He is champion on paper, but he has not earned a place among those champions that have crossed the line with their opponent feeling properly beaten. He has not beaten Hamilton, he was given the championship title on a silver platter. It makes one wonder if this was the only way he was going to win the title from Hamilton at this Abu Dhabi race.

He had fresher tyres, if they had started the race as they originally informed the teams. He would have passed the backmarkers and be behind Hamilton before the end of the race. If he would be able to pass to take the lead is what we do not know. But that would have been normal racing and the outcome would have gone down well with everyone.

But l felt a more exciting opportunity was missed by the dim Masi. He could have red-flagged the race and have a four-lap race to the end from a grid start. A mini race within the race. What excitement that would have generated. He would have been celebrated as a fantastic mastermind.

Which begged the question, Was fair wheel to wheel racing Masi's real intention? What we saw was a clear case of handing it to Redbull. There was no real contest for the title in that last lap.

copperend
13th December 2021, 12:15
This was so obviously fixed by the officials wonder how much money they were bribed with. Think how much some one could have made by betting on Verstappen with 5 laps to go. FARCE just doesn't cover it. CHEATS CHEATS CHEATS. The new rules allow the whole race to be manipulated we want racing but it has to be fair. The first incident where Verstappen blatantly tried to drive Hamilton off the track or even cause a crash was unsavoury and the stewards got it their response right.
F1 has joined the sad set of sports where Cheats proper. It has been obvious from the start that Mercedes were targeted by the new rules and people in authority had decided that they had dominated for too long. That they got so close was a miracle of teamwork and the awesome driving of probably the best driver of all time.

Sulland
13th December 2021, 12:30
Verstappen has been overtaking like this since his early karting days. Same as many other racers, but he is just bolder and most times gets away with it. Just saw a fight yesterday where he leaned several out of the track. Until one driver gave him his own medicine, and leaned him out.

If this is something that is not allowed, then jurys should have told him, flagged him so he is disqualified.
But he is very good at it, and most people like racing overtaking, not because you have a superiour car.

Lets see next year where downforce will be less, and racing will be closer, and hopefully better. Rules need to be simplified to even out the playingfield also for the poorer teams. (It is still allowed to dream)

denkimi
13th December 2021, 16:18
This was the best f1 season of at least the last 20 years. Usually f1 gets perhaps half a page in the newspapers here, now it was the full first 3 pages.
Bar's were streaming the last race here, which has never happened before.

Despite al the weird decisions, they have attracted millions of new fans. People talk about it like never before.

Nitrodaze
13th December 2021, 16:31
This was the best f1 season of at least the last 20 years. Usually f1 gets perhaps half a page in the newspapers here, now it was the full first 3 pages.
Bar's were streaming the last race here, which has never happened before.

Despite al the weird decisions, they have attracted millions of new fans. People talk about it like never before.

I agree, it was a sensational finale to the season. But up to the last lap. The coverage was probably the highest in F1 history. But that does not mean it was not a farce.

denkimi
13th December 2021, 16:35
What we saw was a clear case of handing it to Redbull. There was no real contest for the title in that last lap.
I rewatched that last lap and i feel there could have been a lot more contest if hamilton would have been more agressive.

It almost looks like he had given up, he doesn't even try to defend. It's not like verstappen just passed him with drs on the straight, he was still far behind at the end but just braked later. If hamilton had done like verstappen did in the first lap i feel he could have managed to hold verstappen back.

Especially after seeing how perez was able to hold lewis back.

denkimi
13th December 2021, 16:39
I agree, it was a sensational finale to the season. But up to the last lap. The coverage was probably the highest in F1 history. But that does not mean it was not a farce.
As soon as Latifi crashed it was always going to be a farce. Ending behind the safetycar was even worse than this.

The best thing they could have done was redflag the race, but even then the fans of the one who lost would have complained about it.

Nitrodaze
13th December 2021, 16:47
As soon as Latifi crashed it was always going to be a farce. Ending behind the safetycar was even worse than this.

The best thing they could have done was redflag the race, but even then the fans of the one who lost would have complained about it.

People will always complain about something. But F1 would have attracted a lot of praise and gratitude for a great race if they had red-flagged the race. We would have been writing on this forum about what a great race it was and how brilliant the winner was. We are doing no such thing. Everywhere you turn on the internet, you would find accusations levied at the FIA and Masi for fixing the driver's title for this 2021 championship season.

Some use very strong words like "stole".

Nitrodaze
13th December 2021, 16:54
All l am interested in at the moment is whether Masi is just a lemon or is he a crook? Did he sell the driver's championship to Redbull?

Zico
13th December 2021, 17:48
I rewatched that last lap and i feel there could have been a lot more contest if hamilton would have been more agressive.

It almost looks like he had given up, he doesn't even try to defend. It's not like verstappen just passed him with drs on the straight, he was still far behind at the end but just braked later. If hamilton had done like verstappen did in the first lap i feel he could have managed to hold verstappen back.

Especially after seeing how perez was able to hold lewis back.

Yep, I couldn't believe he didn't cover the inside forcing Max to take the outside, which would at least have given him some defensive options... compared to none. Strange indeed.

Nitrodaze
13th December 2021, 18:25
Yep, I couldn't believe he didn't cover the inside forcing Max to take the outside, which would at least have given him some defensive options... compared to none. Strange indeed.

To be fair, Mercedes and Hamilton were cautious to a fault. I thought the same thing with the line Hamilton took through the first corner. He left such a huge gap by taking such a wide line through that corner. I would guess that he did not trust Verstappen not causing a professional foul and taking him out. Even so, he could have made it difficult.

Zico
13th December 2021, 20:51
I would guess that he did not trust Verstappen not causing a professional foul and taking him out.

On the contrary... the inside is almost always the stronger and least vulnerable position (in the corner at least) Even if that wasn't the case, he still loses either way, so that can't be the reason not to at least try to defend. He must have thought he had enough grunt to get back past on the straight.. and he almost did to be fair.

Nitrodaze
13th December 2021, 20:56
On the contrary... the inside is almost always the stronger and least vulnerable position (in the corner at least) Even if that wasn't the case, he still loses either way, so that can't be the reason not to at least try to defend. He must have thought he had enough grunt to get back past on the straight.. and he almost did to be fair.

True, but if it was anyone else, Hamilton would block and force the other driver to take the longer outside line through the corner and power out of the corner ahead. Much like he did with Rosberg a few years back. It was a matter of trusting the other driver to adhere to the code of mutually respectful driving. I think anyone would tell you Verstappen is a very dirty driver. He is fast but he makes some very dangerous driving out of desperation.

Zico
13th December 2021, 21:07
True, but if it was anyone else, Hamilton would block and force the other driver to take the longer outside line through the corner and power out of the corner ahead. Much like he did with Rosberg a few years back. It was a matter of trusting the other driver to adhere to the code of mutually respectful driving. I think anyone would tell you Verstappen is a very dirty driver. He is fast but he makes some very dangerous driving out of desperation.

Forcing him to the outside would have given Lewis the option to run him wide and off the track... like he did to Albon last year. So it's not like it isn't in him not to do that.

Maybe he will tell us why he didn't really try to defend it at some point.

F1nKS
13th December 2021, 22:20

I actually thought that might happen.

In retrospect what Massi should have done, was early on during the yellow flag he should have cleared all the lap cars.

Nitrodaze
13th December 2021, 23:20
I actually thought that might happen.

In retrospect what Massi should have done, was early on during the yellow flag he should have cleared all the lap cars.

According to the regulations, he is not allowed to clear the lapped cars until all work at the incident site has been completed. The earliest he was allowed to do it was when he actually did it.

denkimi
14th December 2021, 16:22
To be fair, Mercedes and Hamilton were cautious to a fault. I thought the same thing with the line Hamilton took through the first corner. He left such a huge gap by taking such a wide line through that corner. I would guess that he did not trust Verstappen not causing a professional foul and taking him out. Even so, he could have made it difficult.
He had nothing to be cautious about, if Verstappen passed him it was all over. If he kept the inside he could have just pushed him off track. Although there was ofcourse this new rule in this race for the first time, that allows you to just cut the corner and get a big advantage. Perhaps he feared max would just cut the corner like lewis did.

Anyway, i'm still suprised at how easily lewis let him past.

Nitrodaze
14th December 2021, 19:24
He had nothing to be cautious about, if Verstappen passed him it was all over. If he kept the inside he could have just pushed him off track. Although there was ofcourse this new rule in this race for the first time, that allows you to just cut the corner and get a big advantage. Perhaps he feared max would just cut the corner like lewis did.

Anyway, i'm still suprised at how easily lewis let him past.

I don't think that moment would have made any difference. Verstappen would have passed eventually with fresher tyres or crash into him while trying to pass and won the race and title anyway. Hamilton knew that.

N. Jones
14th December 2021, 20:20
Farcical? No, I don't think so. Everyone is seeing the real Max - a jerk on and off the track. Its not a knock its just the way it is. Hamilton had to react to an aggressive driver. My fear is with this win Max will keep driving that way and bringing his career into disrepute.

denkimi
14th December 2021, 21:04
I don't think that moment would have made any difference. Verstappen would have passed eventually with fresher tyres or crash into him while trying to pass and won the race and title anyway. Hamilton knew that.
Crashing into each other would have given him more chance than just letting max overtake. Contact is always a throw of the dice.

And i do think hamilton could have kept verstappen behind. Definitely on that straight, but perhaps even to the end.

As i said, after seeing how perez defended, i feel hamilton could have done a lot better here. Sure, it could have ended in an accident, but that would have given him at least more of a chance.

Nitrodaze
14th December 2021, 22:31
Crashing into each other would have given him more chance than just letting max overtake. Contact is always a throw of the dice.

And i do think hamilton could have kept verstappen behind. Definitely on that straight, but perhaps even to the end.

As i said, after seeing how perez defended, i feel hamilton could have done a lot better here. Sure, it could have ended in an accident, but that would have given him at least more of a chance.

Come on. If they crash, Verstappen wins automatically on count-back because he had more wins even though they are on equal points. I am happy he did not fight it much. Because fighting harder would have given credit to the fixed title handover. You would be arguing that there was a fair fight but Hamilton lost because Verstappen was too good for him.

While the truth was, Redbull and Verstappen needed a helping hand from Masi and Masi duly provided it. If Masi had gone by the rules, there would be very little chance for Verstappen to win it. AND YOU KNOW IT AS DO EVERYONE AT THE FIA AND F1 MANAGEMENT.

ouvreur
15th December 2021, 06:09

Low fuel or not, how was a driver on 30+ lap old hards meant to keep a car that was basically in qualifying hot lap trim behind him?

Sulland
15th December 2021, 06:55
No matter how it happened and how, it is very good for the sport to get a new champ.
It is never good when one driver/car combo rules the world too long.

I have followed F1 since the early 80s, and have been away for many years, since there har become to big of a time difference btw the top and bottom of the field.

I am glad I did not switch channel last sunday, when it looked done and dusted after a few laps and Hamilton was the fastest.

I use more time to follow Rally and Moto GP these days, since it is a better show.
Maybe new cars in 22 will change that, but I am guessing the moneygap btw top and bottom team will make sure we are back to status quo by the end of nest year.

maybe the money prices from FIA need to be swapped, so that the bottom teams get most to try to even the field a bit.

Nitrodaze
15th December 2021, 11:40
No matter how it happened and how, it is very good for the sport to get a new champ.
It is never good when one driver/car combo rules the world too long.

I have followed F1 since the early 80s, and have been away for many years, since there har become to big of a time difference btw the top and bottom of the field.

I am glad I did not switch channel last sunday, when it looked done and dusted after a few laps and Hamilton was the fastest.

I use more time to follow Rally and Moto GP these days, since it is a better show.
Maybe new cars in 22 will change that, but I am guessing the moneygap btw top and bottom team will make sure we are back to status quo by the end of nest year.

maybe the money prices from FIA need to be swapped, so that the bottom teams get most to try to even the field a bit.

We had this same feeling with Schumacher. But Schumacher was dethroned by Alonso in a fair fight. I get people want to see another champion, but for proper respect, a contender must step forward and beat the incumbent champion in a fair fight. This way it would underline in clear terms that the incumbent has run his course of being champion and the next generation is stepping forward.

Like Alonso, such a person would be revered for their achievement of defeating Hamilton in a fair fight. This is not what we got here. What has happened is very damaging for the sport. We have a new champion under the most dubious circumstance. Such that we have not ended up with a new Alonso.

To be honest, l really wanted Verstappen to win it. He was the underdog and it was very rewarding that Redbull turned with a car that gave Mercedes such headache this season. They gave the 7 times World champion such gritty competition, at one point we were all convinced this was a Redbull year to be Constructors and driver's world champions. But to do that, they have to cross the finish line ahead in a fair and clean contest.

What does it mean to say someone is a world champion?

This probably means different things to different people. To me, it means the individual has defeated the entire drivers registered for the 2021 season in a regulation specified equipment to use in a contest conducted to the letter of the regulation of the season in a fairly contested series of races. And that individual has finished the season with the highest points earned.

Can we honestly say this is what happened at Abu Dhabi?

denkimi
15th December 2021, 13:51
Come on. If they crash, Verstappen wins automatically on count-back because he had more wins even though they are on equal points.
[QUOTE/]
Well no, the outcome of a crash is unpredictable. If they are both out than yes, verstappen is champion. But there are many other ways for it to end.

[QUOTE]
I am happy he did not fight it much. Because fighting harder would have given credit to the fixed title handover. You would be arguing that there was a fair fight but Hamilton lost because Verstappen was too good for him.

While the truth was, Redbull and Verstappen needed a helping hand from Masi and Masi duly provided it. If Masi had gone by the rules, there would be very little chance for Verstappen to win it. AND YOU KNOW IT AS DO EVERYONE AT THE FIA AND F1 MANAGEMENT.
Now look at it from the perspective of a verstappen fan.
What would you say if they didn't restart the race although the track is clear? Masi gave the title to Hamilton.
What would you say if they didn't let the lapped cars pass like they are supposed to? Masi gave the title to Hamilton.
What would you say if they redflagged the race and gifted hamilton with a free piststop? Masi gifted the title to hamilton.

Whatever was going to happen, people would always complain about masi and the fia. They always yell about interference and unfairness. And they aren't even wrong, it was interference, it did give an unfair advantage to someone.
But if you wouldn't complain if that advantage had been given to hamilton.

Low fuel or not, how was a driver on 30+ lap old hards meant to keep a car that was basically in qualifying hot lap trim behind him?
How was perez supposed to keep a car behind him on completely worn softs that were 2 seconds per lap slower?
Yet he did.

Looking at the laptimes, the difference between max and lewis must have been somewhere around 1,5s per lap.

Lots of what if's, but i still feel lewis could have defended a lot harder. At least he could have defended the inside. That's at least what i would do.

Nitrodaze
15th December 2021, 16:23
What would you say if they didn't restart the race although the track is clear?

If they follow the regulations, then not restarting is what is supposed to happen. This has been the case in dozens of races in the past. This is why everyone was baffled why Masi did not red flag the race and had a four-lap sprint race from a grid start. By the way, what you ask here is one of the ways that section 48.12 prescribes the race should end.

What would you say if they didn't let the lapped cars pass like they are supposed to?
Not unlapping the cars is the other way that section 48.12 prescribes the race should end under that Abu Dhabi circumstances. In both of the above instances, Masi would not be interfering with the normal course of the race. Hamilton already have the advantage before the crash, so he would gain nothing.

What would you say if they redflagged the race and gifted hamilton with a free piststop?
This would have been the fairest way to end the race. They would both be on fresh tyres and we would have a proper duel to the finish line. All the points you raise are the only proper ways available to the Race Director to not interfere with the outcome of the race in a fair manner. If he doesn't want Hamilton to have fresh tyres, then the other two options above are the only ones legitimately within his power to enforce.

Whatever was going to happen, people would always complain about masi and the fia. They always yell about interference and unfairness. And they aren't even wrong, it was interference, it did give an unfair advantage to someone.
But if you wouldn't complain if that advantage had been given to hamilton.

How was perez supposed to keep a car behind him on completely worn softs that were 2 seconds per lap slower?
Yet he did.

Looking at the laptimes, the difference between max and lewis must have been somewhere around 1,5s per lap.

Lots of what if's, but i still feel lewis could have defended a lot harder. At least he could have defended the inside. That's at least what i would do.

If Perez had finished the race than l would entertain your views on that. What l and everyone else is complaining about is the strange way the race ended. I don't think Hamilton or Verstappen should have it easy. They don't share their enormous prize money with me, do they? So why the hell should l care either way who wins.
What l care about though is to watch a race that is hard-fought and someone wins it fairly. A fixed race does not tickle my enjoyment it ruins it.

Nitrodaze
15th December 2021, 20:44
The FIA is now going to open an investigation aimed at analysis and clarification of the safety car situation in Abu Dhabi. It sounds like a tea and cupcakes session with all teams principles. Certainly a way of trying to quell any possibility of further actions by Mercedes. The wording Analysis and clarification seems to suggest they don't expect anything to change, which is good news for Verstappen. But would it be enough to allay the scepticism in the wider F1 community, the fans etc?

The damage is done, their best chance is to quietly let Masi go. Masi's face will always be a reminder of this unfortunate incident. Besides, there is suspicion in the minds of most fans that Masi is corrupt. It may be untrue, but they would have a hard time convincing anyone that he would not also do the same at the end of the 2022 season if he is still in charge.

N. Jones
16th December 2021, 00:35
Yes, Nitro, but that does not mean Red Bull are at fault for what transpired.

Nitrodaze
16th December 2021, 07:06
Yes, Nitro, but that does not mean Red Bull are at fault for what transpired.

I don't understand? No one is saying Redbull is at fault for anything. They legitimately took full advantage of the situation in front of them. They asked for one more lap of racing and it was given to them there is no fault in that from their perspective.

One could argue though that Redbull has outwitted Mercedes on and off-track this season to take one of the titles from them.

Read this (https://medium.com/@gwkj1/analysing-the-fia-rulebook-after-the-abu-dhabi-grand-prix-a-lawyers-perspective-571ca3810060)to help you understand better