Round 1 – Corbeau Seats Rally Tendring & Clacton – Clacton – 23/24 April
Round 2 – Beatson’s Building Supplies Jim Clark Rally – Duns – 27/28 May
Round 3 – Nicky Grist Stages – Builth Wells – 9 July
Round 4 – Grampian Forest Stages – Banchory – 13 August
Round 5 – Get Connected Rali Bae Ceredigion – Aberystwyth – 3/4 September
Round 6 – Trackrod Rally Yorkshire – Filey – 23/24 September
Round 7 – Visit Conwy Cambrian Rally – Llandudno – 29 October
Reserve Round – Oulton Park Stages – Oulton Park – 5 November

https://www.britishrallychampionship.co.uk/news/british-rally-championship-reveals-2022-calendar/

2022 Motorsport UK Pirelli Welsh National Rally Championship calendar

26 March….Rally North Wales
9 April….Rallynuts Stages Rally
21 May….Plains Rally
12 June….Red Kite Stages
9 July….Nicky Grist Stages
3 September…. Eventsigns Woodpecker Stages Rally
15 October…. Winner Garage Škoda Wyedean Rally
29 October….Visit Conwy Cambrian Rally

https://wnrc.wamc.org.uk

2022 MRF Tyres BTRDA Rally Series

March 12th - Malcolm Wilson Rally - Cockermouth
April 9th - Rallynuts Stages - Royal Welsh Showground
May 14th - Border Counties Rally - Jedburgh
June 18th - Kielder Forest Rally - Hexham
July 9th - Nicky Grist Stages - Builth Wells
September 3rd - Woodpecker Stages - TBC
September 24th - Trackrod Forest Stages - Filey
October 29th - Cambrian Rally - Llandudno

https://www.btrdarally.com/everyone-welcome-for-some-more-serious-fun-in-2022/

HKSjbg
23rd November 2021, 08:22
http://www.irishtarmac.com/killarney-historic-rally-marks-return-of-irish-tarmac-championship/

Pretty much back to normal, though for the historics the championship actually starts this November! I find the point below about the Ulster curious - why would a new date need to be found if Rally UK in Northern Ireland doesn’t run??

2022 Irish Tarmac Rally Championship:

Killarney Historic Rally 27 November 2021
Galway International Rally 5-6 February 2022
West Cork International Rally 19-20 March
Circuit of Ireland Rally 15-16 April
Killarney International Rally of the Lakes 30 April – 1 May
Donegal International Rally 17-19 June
Ulster International Rally 19-20 August*
Cork 20 International Rally 24-25 September

N.B. The Ulster Rally’s 2022 date is dependent on the running of Northern Ireland’s proposed round of the World Rally Championship. Ulster Rally organisers have a contingency plan in place to run the event on a different date if required.

AndyRAC
23rd November 2021, 11:13
The Ulster should be the Rally GB replacement, if finances allow. Why organise another event from new? It's like the IRC Rally Scotland - a brand new event just for that series. And never ran again after the 3 years. Where is the legacy for these events?

HKSjbg
23rd November 2021, 22:49
http://www.scottishrallychampionship.co.uk/

5th Mar 2022 Snowman Rally Inverness
23rd Apr 2022 McDonald & Munro Speyside Stages Elgin
29th May 2022 Beatson's Building Supplies Jim Clark Reivers Rally Duns
25th Jun 2022 Dunoon Presents Argyll Rally Dunoon
23rd Jul 2022 RSAC Scottish Rally Moffat
13th Aug 2022 Grampian Forest Rally Banchory
10th Sep 2022 The Armstrong Galloway Hills Rally Castle Douglas
22nd Oct 2022 Carlisle Stages Rally Kielder

Fast Eddie WRC
24th November 2021, 10:02
The ITRC returning is great news - they have really suffered over there for the past two years with no championship.

However the BRC could really struggle for R5 entries if as expected the Irish crews stick to the ITRC in 2022.

I hope something can be done to encourage the plentiful R5 owners in the BTRDA & MSN Circuit Rally Championships to do some events.

AndyRAC
24th November 2021, 16:08
I hope something can be done to encourage the plentiful R5 owners in the BTRDA & MSN Circuit Rally Championships to do some events.

Isn't that the issue; they don't want to do the BRC. The short 45 mile events is all they wish to do. Doing longer costlier events doesn't interest them.

HKSjbg
28th November 2021, 19:43
The Ulster should be the Rally GB replacement, if finances allow. Why organise another event from new? It's like the IRC Rally Scotland - a brand new event just for that series. And never ran again after the 3 years. Where is the legacy for these events?

I didn’t quite understand what you meant at first but reading the below it makes sense now... The Ulster is arranged for 19th-20th of August, but if Rally UK/Rally Northern Ireland goes ahead (18th-21st of August) then the Ulster will have to switch to a new date. I’d been under the impression that the Ulster would run alongside Rally UK which would make sense... As you say Andy, two completely separate events with one being totally new, what happens when Rally UK leaves Northern Ireland?

There’s no definitive calendar announcements in this story but I’ll put the whole thing in for reference

https://www.brmc.org.uk/calendar/16-news/northern-irish-region

LOOKING FORWARD
The 2022 Northern Ireland Rally Championship is scheduled to run with five tarmac events. Kirkistown in February, Bishopscourt in March, The Dogleap in May, Tyrone Stages in June and the Down Rally in July.

The 2022 ANICC Gravel Rally Challenge is due to consist of three events. Fivemiletown in February then the Lakeland Stages and Bushwhacker in September.

The UAC Circuit of Ireland Rally, a round of the Irish Tarmac Championship, is planned for the Easter weekend 15th-16th April 2022.

Although the Ulster Rally is pencilled in for 19th-20th August 2022, it is widely believed that this event will not take place. Instead we expect the World Rally Championship to visit these shores at that time.

A “To-Be-Announced” tarmac rally is presently listed for 18th-21st August on the 13-round 2022 WRC calendar. Reliable sources say that confirmation of Rally Northern Ireland taking place on that date will happen next month when the World Motor Sport Council meets on 15th December to ratify the 2022 calendar. I just hope that (fingers crossed) those sources are correct. It would appear that the required funding is now in place to allow a Belfast-based WRC event to happen.

HKSjbg
1st December 2021, 17:40
https://mobile.twitter.com/AsphaltRallying/status/1465940430529380358

Asphalt Rally Championship

1. North West Stages - 19 March
2. Jim Clark Rally - 27/28 May
3. Argyll Rally - 25 June
4. Down Rally - 23 July
5. Rali Bae Ceredigion - 3/4 Sept
6. Three Shires Stages - 17/18 Sept
7. Oulton Park - 5 Nov

HKSjbg
10th December 2021, 19:10
BHRC:

https://mailchi.mp/36aca35fa3aa/british-historic-rally-championship-goes-all-gravel-in-2022

2022 Fuchs Lubricants Motorsport UK British Historic Rally Championship
Round Date Event
1. 6 February Riponian Stages Rally
2. 26 March Rally North Wales
3. 21 May Plains Rally
4. 12 June Red Kite Stages
5. 3 September Woodpecker Stages
6. 23-24 September Trackrod Historic Cup
7. 22 October Carlisle Stages

HKSjbg
2nd January 2022, 16:10
Celtic Rally Trophy:

http://www.automobilsport.com/race-categories--24,232385,FIA-European-Rally-Trophy----Celtic-Rally-Trophy-calendar-2022,news.htm

19-20 March Ireland West Cork Rally
15-16 April Great Britain Circuit of Ireland International Rally
13-14 May Great Britain Manx Rally
17-19 June Ireland Donegal International Rally
24-25 June Belgium Ypres Rally
30-31 July Ireland Cork 20 International Rally
19-20 August Great Britain Ulster Rally
03-04 September Great Britain Rali Bae Ceredigion

I can’t find any confirmation that the Cork 20 has indeed moved to July, but that may well be the case if the Ulster Rally organiser’s alternative date (if Rally UK goes ahead) is later in the year as otherwise the ITRC would be left with a big gap between Donegal and the next round.

ewrc-results still lists Cork 20 in its original date of 24-25 September, but as round #6. It’s good to see the Manx added to a decent enough championship(trophy) after falling off the UK asphalt championship.

Sal yet again
27th January 2022, 19:56
Apparently the UK Asphalt Championship has gone nuclear and the organising committee have departed. Watch this space I guess for news/updates

AndyRAC
27th January 2022, 21:15
UK Rallying never helps itself; I saw reports of stepping down due to abuse in social media....absolutely appalling.

Sal yet again
28th January 2022, 07:22
Just because there wasnt going to be a round on the military ranges amongst other factors it would seem. We dont deserve success sometimes on this little rock..

ouvreur
28th January 2022, 08:39
Just because there wasnt going to be a round on the military ranges amongst other factors it would seem. We dont deserve success sometimes on this little rock..

I'd say it was more to do with the massive horlicks that was made of the class structure (and subsequent back-pedalling), the casually racist emojis in their social media post announcing the rounds (which the Irish in particular were not impressed with), and two of those rounds then pulling out as a result of conditions imposed by the championship, that did for them.

They had a rough time of it online, and I certainly don't condone a social media witch hunt. But it's 2022, and they seemed to be hell-bent on alienating just about all of the rallies and competitors that made the previous incarnation of that championship popular, backlash was inevitable.

Sal yet again
28th January 2022, 09:13
Wasn't aware of the emoji issue which is non-excusable. The class structure was a debacle but thought that had been sorted out.

My thoughts were that at least they had tried to bring the series more into line with the lure of closed roads rather than its traditional haunt of military ranges which in the current climate are likely to become even more off limits than before. Hopefully it can be turned around and some semblance of a series put together. There is a glut of top level machinery that should be seen at least at National level which otherwise will be causing even more whinging at MSN/Single venue events otherwise.

ouvreur
28th January 2022, 09:30
I think the spirit was correct, perhaps it was a bit 'too much too soon' for some in terms of going away from the traditional UK tarmac rally venues, but it's a change that needed to be made.

It would only have worked, in terms of bringing existing competitors along with them away from the Epynt and Otterburn rallies, and attracting new ones, if there was stability and clarity in other areas. Unfortunately, it is apparent that there really was not, and the straw that broke the camel's back, seemingly, was losing the two of their rounds.

I'm sure they meant well, and that they had the best of intentions, but it's been an utter shambles from start to finish. Let's see if any lessons will be learned, though it seems more likely that the championship will have to grab together a couple of Epynts or Otterburns and struggle through 2022.

AndyRAC
28th January 2022, 11:04
Trying to drag the sport kicking & screaming into the 21st century is proving to be a real problem. Those that try, end up giving up as it's too much hard work. And we wonder why we've lost our WRC round...

ouvreur
28th January 2022, 12:29
Trying to drag the sport kicking & screaming into the 21st century is proving to be a real problem. Those that try, end up giving up as it's too much hard work. And we wonder why we've lost our WRC round...

I'm not sure we can put this particular debacle down to some general 'resistance to change' in British rallying. Change can be made to happen fairly easily if it's packaged and delivered properly - for better or worse.

In this case, serving up a complete change of philosophy (rightly so) from mostly boring military range events that every competitor has done 1000 times, to an all-closed-road-event championship wasn't the issue. It wouldn't have taken much effort to get competitors to go along with that or even attract some new blood - indeed the consensus was that it was a good (if a little more expensive) calendar.

The way that so much of the negative "this will never work" rubbish that a minority were prophesising before the first closed road events ran in 2018/2019 was completely and utterly disproven, is proof enough that if things are done right, competitors are ready and willing to try something new.

No, what did for the team was the tone-deaf announcement, nonsensical car regulations, and difficult relations with event organisers. They started off not just on the back foot, but practically on their backside, and it only got worse.

Organising anything in motorsport is a thankless task, and I'm grateful there are people out there willing to have a go at it. The point of this post isn't to be rude about Darren Spann and his team. However, even a cursory glance at the class structure of a successful national championship (in the UK or abroad) would have given them a clue what theirs should look like - not the tone-deaf dogs dinner that was published then swiftly withdrawn. A gentler approach with organisers of new championship rounds might have borne more fruit. And the most pointless bit of aggro they received, over their entirely tactless championship launch on social media, might have been avoided by googling "do the Oirish mind being called 'potato'" before hitting Tweet.

It's regrettable, no doubt about it. Their intentions may have been good. But it doesn't seem fair to put it down to being 'too much hard work', more that the team ought to have worked smarter...

Fast Eddie WRC
3rd February 2022, 09:27
I see the other thread has disappeared so I guess we use this one...

I'm looking forward to start of the ITRC in Galway this weekend. A good Irish entry and the BRC Champion Matt Edwards there to take them on.

Hopefully a good battle and some live coverage from On The Pacenote FB page.

Jewy46
3rd February 2022, 13:26
I see the other thread has disappeared so I guess we use this one...

I'm looking forward to start of the ITRC in Galway this weekend. A good Irish entry and the BRC Champion Matt Edwards there to take them on.

Hopefully a good battle and some live coverage from On The Pacenote FB page.

https://www.facebook.com/photo/?fbid=10158743026145770&set=a.10150188156790770

Unfortunately looks like Matt Edwards won't be able to make it.

Great entry otherwise though and looking forward to spectating at my local event. Will be unusual for me not to be competing but very glad to see proper rallying back in this country!

Sal yet again
3rd February 2022, 17:16
Looks like the 22 season thread I started and all my previous posts have disappeared with the profile I had which has been removed for some reasons known only to the Admins..

Shame about Edwards and the timewaster supposed backer.

Fast Eddie WRC
3rd February 2022, 18:11
Funny I was just looking at the entry list on EWRC and saw Edwards name was missing !

Just shocking to mess anyone about like that, but to do it to a rally champion is disgraceful.

What a sad state of affairs for Matt and bad for the reputation of rallying.. This idiot should be named and shamed !

AndyRAC
3rd February 2022, 22:00
I see MNews are wanting questions for MSUK CEO Hugh Chambers - Matt himself asked a few on Twitter:

https://twitter.com/MNmotorsport/status/1488514650199273476

3 time BRC Champion, and struggling for budget......What can you say about the state of the sport in this country?

the sniper
3rd February 2022, 22:25
I see MNews are wanting questions for MSUK CEO Hugh Chambers - Matt himself asked a few on Twitter:

https://twitter.com/MNmotorsport/status/1488514650199273476

3 time BRC Champion, and struggling for budget......What can you say about the state of the sport in this country?

Q: Does David Richards actually care about what has happened to British rallying under his stewardship?

Think of the grief Alan Gow used to get...

AndyRAC
4th February 2022, 09:31
Well yes; the rallying community were always slightly sceptical about Gow, seeing as he was behind ToCA/BTCC......and thought rallying would get short shrift from him.

I honestly don't know what their strategy for the sport is; if they have one. And how they've allowed our 'flagship' event to cease to run almost beggars belief. And now have a begging bowl out to anybody who can find the backing....

Fast Eddie WRC
4th February 2022, 10:41
Maybe the only 'positive' re Edwards situation is he could switch his 2022 season back to BRC ? He still has a bit of time yet to find backing before the first event of our Ch'ship...

Fast Eddie WRC
4th February 2022, 17:50
Nice to hear Chris Ingram today saying he wants to do a UK event to stay sharp in the break until he does Rally Croatia. He even suggested the NW Stages !

Fast Eddie WRC
5th February 2022, 11:08
Good battle in Galway with Meirion Evans talking it to the Irish crews early on.

the sniper
5th February 2022, 13:06
I honestly don't know what their strategy for the sport is; if they have one.

I think for me this is the principal concern. While Dave Richards probably personally could afford to make a meaningful change to the fortunes of British rallying, it's probably unreasonable to expect a great act of philanthropy. Without any big bang/buck action, it's hard to see how the sport's trajectory can be radically altered at this point, particularly when there doesn't seem to be a road map at all.

But if nothing else, I'd expected that Richards would have been a vocal advocate and campaigner for rallying. Some of the characters on BRF would have us believe that MSUK are doing great things behind the scenes, but those that deep within the bubble of rallying probably appreciate there being an even more exclusive bubble within it, that only those who have known Richards since they handed him a timecard in 1977 can understand... But as it is, I can't demonstrably see that Richards has any great interest in the modern sport. Maybe like many others, he enjoyed what it once was, got plenty out of it personally, but has given up on it being anything of worth going forwards. Part of me thinks he gave up on stage rallying in general around 2012/3.

Which leaves it to Hugh Chambers. A qualification in "Ron[Dennis]speak" can only get the sport so far, evidently.

Fast Eddie WRC
5th February 2022, 15:13
After Day 1 at Galway Rally. Good close times and a variety of stage winners.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FK2GOQ5XMAUKu4U?format=jpg&name=small

Fast Eddie WRC
6th February 2022, 10:40
Big fight back by Evans on SS11 this morning taking a big chunk of time on everyone and now just 5.1s off the lead of J.Moffett.

Fast Eddie WRC
6th February 2022, 13:50
Moffett had power-steering issues on SS11. Once fixed he pulled out the lead again and takes the win.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FK1t99kX0AQCe7w?format=jpg&name=large

Good effort by Evans to keep him honest throughout.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FK2dg0pXMBUR8i7?format=jpg&name=large

the sniper
6th February 2022, 21:15
Was anyone else out on the Riponian today? The wind, hail and snow was quite something! Lucky it wasn't freezing. Great day out with very slippery stages in the afternoon.

https://www.ewrc-results.com/results/74516-riponian-stages-rally-2022/

Simmi
6th February 2022, 22:27
Was anyone else out on the Riponian today? The wind, hail and snow was quite something! Lucky it wasn't freezing. Great day out with very slippery stages in the afternoon.

https://www.ewrc-results.com/results/74516-riponian-stages-rally-2022/

Yeah that was nuts! Wasn't expecting all that hail to blow through. Luckily I was only in Wass and not somewhere more exposed. Very enjoyable day out all the same.

I chucked a few pictures on my FB page - https://www.facebook.com/media/set?vanity=RSMotorsportMedia&set=a.449929490121300

Paul Hudson
7th February 2022, 00:13
Yeah that was nuts! Wasn't expecting all that hail to blow through. Luckily I was only in Wass and not somewhere more exposed. Very enjoyable day out all the same.

I chucked a few pictures on my FB page - https://www.facebook.com/media/set?vanity=RSMotorsportMedia&set=a.449929490121300

Great Pic's, i was warm inside a car going sideways in an Escort is always fun.

Sal yet again
7th February 2022, 08:12
How was the rally received by the competitors? Some inventive use of road closing to link the woods. Didnt go to Gale Rigg but looked like they must have come down the really steep piece of road over the little bridge to exit where they did. Would need to be brave to commit down that bit of track and usually quite rough in places.

Sal yet again
7th February 2022, 10:36
Seen some in-car from Gale Rigg and can see that part of the stage was in fact used!

Still drying the camera out from yesterday. Was expecting some rain but not quite what we ended up with. Big commitment from the BHRC crews and hope to see them on the Riponian in years to come.

Fast Eddie WRC
7th February 2022, 13:32
CallumDevine27
Massive thanks to the @GalwayMotorClub for running a brilliant rally in terrible conditions. Also to all the marshals & officials who stood out in the rain so we could rally, we really appreciate it. Was also great to see huge crowds back on the Irish stages !

the sniper
7th February 2022, 17:52

Yeah, I thought Wass might fare a little better than the other two weather wise, but I'm not sure it did!

Great Pic's, i was warm inside a car going sideways in an Escort is always fun.

https://youtu.be/VpI7_8yiXvc?t=50 You're not lying! :D Sideways and in some of the worst conditions any crew had, very good effort guys!

Big commitment from the BHRC crews and hope to see them on the Riponian in years to come.

Indeed!

Fast Eddie WRC
9th February 2022, 09:28
Meirion Evans Galway onboard on the Black Road...

https://youtu.be/Q2XZDyDLTgo

ouvreur
9th February 2022, 09:52

Hell, that's some going

Sal yet again
10th February 2022, 07:45
https://www.rallies.info/webentry/2022/northwest/entries.php?type=u

North West Stages provisional entry is up with a certain Christopher Ingram entered in a Toksport Fabia..

Jewy46
10th February 2022, 13:30

Top class driving from Evans. He was good to watch all weekend!

I had a bit of a "moment" over the jump in that video back in the 2016 Galway International :)

See here: https://youtu.be/yyh3VkOOQfU?t=293

Good memories!

Fast Eddie WRC
10th February 2022, 18:55
So the NW Stages wasn't a joke from Chris, although I think saying he'd do it in a Micra was ! :)

Nice to hear Chris Ingram today saying he wants to do a UK event to stay sharp in the break until he does Rally Croatia. He even suggested the NW Stages !

Fast Eddie WRC
15th February 2022, 17:43
The AR Podcast are doing a special with Matt Edwards - apparently a review of his career as he confirms he hasn't the budget for doing either BRC or ITRC this year.

AndyRAC
16th February 2022, 08:03
No budget, for a multi BRC champion.....words fail. When are the MSUK going to get their act together and actually help sort the mess that is British Rallying? A damning indictment of the sport in this country.

Fast Eddie WRC
16th February 2022, 08:57
So seems that's Cave and Edwards both now gone from the BRC due to finance - the two very top driver's that we can ill-afford to lose.

This year's Championship will be a shadow of what it was even in recent years.

Crutt
16th February 2022, 20:07
What incentives are there though? There is no decent media or television coverage, there is no fan fare around it and the events themselves are lack lustre and stale.

How can the likes of Belgium and France be thriving for their national championships? Because they are well promoted with big incentives for the winners and those events are the pinical in those countries. There are way too many events and championships in the uk

HKSjbg
17th February 2022, 22:47
I think at the moment the BRC is going for quantity over quality. I’d like to see the number of events reduced down to 5 if that meant 2 tarmac rallies with the same combined stage mileage as the 3 currently on the calendar and 3 gravel events with the same combined mileage of the 4 we have now.

So long as there were rallies out there that are prepared to do that we could have 3 100km gravel rallies and 2 165km tarmac rallies (based on the last two runnings of the Jim Clark and the Corbeau and RBC’s own website stating this year’s event will be 95 miles of stages).

I’d also like to see a highlights programme dropped into some of the lulls in between race sessions on ITV4’s BTCC coverage. Perhaps commentated by Steve Rider, perhaps by Mark James.

Speaking of Mark James, has anyone else seen British Rally Media’s video on Wales Motorsport in BHRC?

https://youtu.be/8l-BMH7AX6Q

It may only be focusing on one team but the presentation and commentary are miles better than that ‘documentary’ feel that the BRC was going for last year. You don’t get the sense that the rallies are ‘only’ 70km long, 45 minutes and you’re done.

The BRC’s coverage last year started out alright, but after a while just fell a bit flat and was basically Colin Clark talking on top of video of obscure angles with a weird grey filter :(

HKSjbg
18th February 2022, 14:35
I was checking out all the calendar shuffling on ewrc-results.com after Ypres joined the WRC on the same weekend as the Ulster - specifically the Celtic Rally Trophy and noticed Rali Bae Ceredigion is now a round of TER.

https://www.terseries.com/en/news/1319/the-ter-tour-european-rally-welcomes-wales-and-rali-bae-ceredigion

That makes RBC the only rally in the country this year with the distinction of being part of a pan-european or world championship :D

Tom206wrc
18th February 2022, 18:07
Three Citroën C3 Rally 2 in northern Ireland(UK)!!! :D

Drivers/owners: Jonny Greer, Michael McGarrity and Darren Gass(ex-Mads Östberg WRC2 2021) ;)

All three are on entrylist of this weekend Orchard Motorsport Kirkistown Stages...

the sniper
19th February 2022, 09:24

Drivers/owners: Jonny Greer, Michael McGarrity and Darren Gass(ex-Mads Östberg WRC2 2021) ;)

All three are on entrylist of this weekend Orchard Motorsport Kirkistown Stages...

The UK & Ireland distributor for Peugeot Sport/Citroen Racing/Opel Motorsport rallying is based in Northern Ireland, in case anybody isn't aware, which I presume is likely to have heavily influenced this.

Tom206wrc
19th February 2022, 11:34
In fact, Michael McGarrity is driving in Orchard a DS3 R5(same as Cal McCarthy)... :mark:

Overall after SS3, Greer is leading with 10" over Stephen Wright(Ford) ;)

Fast Eddie WRC
20th February 2022, 12:53

Greer won, Gass was 5th.

Hope to see them in the coming ITRC rounds and see how they get on with the latest C3 Rally2.

Humber
21st February 2022, 07:18
Fatal rally accident as a result of an incident at the Killarney Forest Rally.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/othersport/arid-40812705.html

Fast Eddie WRC
22nd February 2022, 09:14
British champion joins the BHRC at Rally North Wales.

Three-time British Rally Champion Matt Edwards will step into the FUCHS Lube UK BHRC in 2022, driving a FIAT 131 Abarth at the forthcoming Rally North Wales.

Read more: https://mailchi.mp/fc725a242dff/british-champion-edwards-joins-the-bhrc-at-rally-north-wales?e=6731e8eac0

Fast Eddie WRC
22nd February 2022, 22:05
Good to see the 2022 ITRC full highlights being shown on BT Sport.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FMPGl8WWYAAif8c?format=jpg&name=900x900

AndyRAC
25th February 2022, 09:46
http://www.ammandmc.co.uk/october-update/

Red Kite Stages cancelled due to a loss of Start/Service venue.....

Sal yet again
28th February 2022, 09:42
https://www.rallies.info/webentry/2022/malcolmwilson/entries.php?type=u

Great looking provisional entry list for the first round of this years BTRDA the Malcolm Wilson with a couple of MSport entries..

Fast Eddie WRC
28th February 2022, 13:02
Meirion Evans and Matt Edwards too, but in historic cars.

Sal yet again
28th February 2022, 13:44
Yes thats the "other" Meirion Evans, the BHRC driver.

HKSjbg
28th February 2022, 14:06
Chris Ingram too in an Escort, how did you not spot that one Eddie?? :D

Fast Eddie WRC
28th February 2022, 14:12
Chris Ingram too in an Escort, how did you not spot that one Eddie?? :D

I did... that's the "other one" too.

Fast Eddie WRC
28th February 2022, 14:13
New BRC Boss announced...

https://www.britishrallychampionship.co.uk/news/tarren-takes-british-rally-championship-reins/

Sal yet again
7th March 2022, 13:37
Looking to go to watch the MW at the weekend however the website doesnt make it clear that tickets for Comb will be valid for Grizedale. Anyone else booked?

AndyRAC
9th March 2022, 09:07
I looked, but saw you needed to book, and thought better of it; do we really still need to do this? I got the impression it was £10 per stage - it's also a bit tight regarding time getting from Whinlatter to Grizedale and be able to see all cars. I recall doing it about 10-15 years ago, but Grizedale was run about 13:00-13:30. It's an early start, and seemingly and early finish.

Sal yet again
9th March 2022, 12:08
Thanks for confirming that, am surprised that track and trace is still a thing in the Lakes! Had tried to find out elsewhere however the social media route drew a blank. The field is reverse seeded I think so could probably watch the 4wds and top 2wds/historics at Comb then drive down to Grizedale however as my wife has now booked us tickets to see Tim Peake the night before so would mean a really early start with a slightly dubious weather forecast on Saturday so have decided to bin my plans regardless of the great looking entry. Hopefully the BTRDA wont be won by the time the Trackrod comes around!

Fast Eddie WRC
14th March 2022, 15:54
After missing Galway, hopefully Jonny Greer gives the Citroen C3 Rally2 its Irish Tarmac debut this weekend in West Cork.

Fast Eddie WRC
17th March 2022, 17:35
Sad to see Matt Edwards only advising with Pirelli tyres in West Cork this time. :(

https://www.instagram.com/p/CbNqcgsDHG_/?utm_medium=copy_link

Sal yet again
18th March 2022, 13:15
North West Stages this weekend. Anyone here going? Forecast looks great however as a lot of the access had to be pre-booked not sure if its worth a trip across.

AndyRAC
18th March 2022, 18:22
No, not for me; not sure why pre booking is still needed. I wonder what other sports are still doing that?

Sal yet again
18th March 2022, 19:19
I'm doing them a disservice slightly in that is certain " designated" spots however as I'm not too familiar with that part of the world to just take pot luck.

Does beg a question though with closed roads rallies in that most other places in the world that you can kind of go where you want within reason. Ok so Belgium is ticketed however most stages are generally open here we seem to need to monetise and limit everything.

Fast Eddie WRC
18th March 2022, 19:46
I read that those bookable places are all sold out.

There's 'live coverage' on Special Stage though.

https://m.facebook.com/specialstage/?__tn__=C

the sniper
18th March 2022, 23:54
No I'm not going, recalling what the official offering was last time and not being familiar with the area, I wasn't sure if there was much in it for spectating. Randomly, I'll probably be going for a walk in an empty Myherin or Hafren instead though, as the weather is looking good everywhere! :D Plus, should be out on Rally North Wales next week.

Fast Eddie WRC
19th March 2022, 10:43
The Fiesta of Devine leading the way early on in West Cork.

YT live https://youtu.be/gefBfat3IUM

Fast Eddie WRC
19th March 2022, 12:22
Jason Pritchard out of the NW Stages in SS4. :(

https://www.ewrc-results.com/quickp/74407_276223061_10161587669497067_9123673933776535 001_n.jpg

Ingram getting some air this afternoon on the stream...

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FOOchi9WUAYd6MX?format=jpg&name=large

Sal yet again
19th March 2022, 18:39
Unlucky for Pritchard hope it doesn't dent his BRC ambitions before they begin.

Day of gardening and allotment work a poor substitute for being stage side however having seen some of the footage online am planning a recce for next year as plenty of people out all over the shop!

Fast Eddie WRC
20th March 2022, 11:21
West Cork day 2 live looking good, even onboards...

https://youtu.be/JlxXevddGtk

Fast Eddie WRC
20th March 2022, 14:35
Gutted to hear Devine parked up after the last service. J. Moffett should have another win now.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FOTbq3-XEAQHtD5?format=jpg&name=large

HKSjbg
22nd March 2022, 09:51
North West Stages video, interesting statement from the event sponsor at 1:50 “expect better stages next year”…

https://youtu.be/4_oeWPSMpe8

HKSjbg
22nd March 2022, 09:59
Spectator info for Rally North Wales: http://www.rallynorthwales.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2022/03/Rally-North-Wales-Spectator-Information-2022.pdf

I was thinking of going but it might be a bit far to go especially when Rallynuts is only two weeks later:

http://rallynutsrally.co.uk/spectators/

Cwmysgawen is running again this year, might go to that one in the morning then Hafren after.

Sal yet again
22nd March 2022, 10:06
North West Stages video, interesting statement from the event sponsor at 1:50 “expect better stages next year”…

https://youtu.be/4_oeWPSMpe8

Yes really interesting comments.

A town centre spectator stage straight after the event start may be on the cards? Whatever sounds like the rally can only get bigger.

Fast Eddie WRC
22nd March 2022, 11:49
A lot of good feedback on the stages from drivers, even Chris Ingram was really impressed and found it great prep for Croatia.

HKSjbg
22nd March 2022, 12:28
I think they’re easily the best closed road stages in England. The Corbeau has always been a bit meh to me, The Three Shires improved a lot last year, may well be even better this year. But North West seems to have the best quality, flowing, undulating stages. I’m so glad they got rid of that horrid stage at Weeton this year too!

AndyRAC
6th April 2022, 09:03
Rallynuts (formerly the Kerridge, Mutiny, Severn Valley) Stages. Haven't decided where to spectate, a shame no access to Hafren forest; so it will either be Sweetlamb or Myherin.

HKSjbg
6th April 2022, 09:55
I was thinking of trying Cwmysgawen but I’m a bit underwhelmed by the spectator spot - doesn’t look very ‘open’ to me. I too was hoping to get deep into Hafren this time around as I went to Myherin in November.

There didn’t really seem to be anything stopping anyone from just walking further and further into the forest, away from the designated spectator area. Is that technically allowed if you’re being sensible about where you stand or will the marshals not stand for it?

I might just give Sweet Lamb a go but I’m not interested in the water splash area to be honest.

Also hoping for this damp weather to continue!

AndyRAC
6th April 2022, 12:38
I tend to stay in the bowl area for the first run - however for the afternoon I walk further into the stage, and it's a bit more interesting.

Steve Boyd
7th April 2022, 00:07
Also hoping for this damp weather to continue!
I'm not - I'll be out working on results!

the sniper
7th April 2022, 19:48
There didn’t really seem to be anything stopping anyone from just walking further and further into the forest, away from the designated spectator area. Is that technically allowed if you’re being sensible about where you stand or will the marshals not stand for it?

Let's not speak technically. ;)

In reality, so long as you're off the road an hour before the first car is due and end up somewhere sensible, out of the way, nobody will mind. I've even spectated on marshalled junctions in the middle of nowhere before and never had any issues, really only good experiences with 99% of marshals/officials. You've just got to be sensible and respect the marshals/situation.

I'll probably go for Cwmysgawen for a change, I've walked it in peace time so would be interested to see it in action, though there's somewhere in Myherin I'd like to spectate, but I'm not sure it'll be used, so that'd be a gamble! Just glad we can pay on the gate again.

I'm not - I'll be out working on results!

The dust was a bit much on the north North Wales, could do without having to factor in wind direction! :D

Steve Boyd
7th April 2022, 23:40
The dust was a bit much on the north North Wales, could do without having to factor in wind direction! :D
I know. It made a right mess of my keyboard & screen, & I was a couple of miles away from the stage where there was mobile data coverage.

Sal yet again
8th April 2022, 15:28
Mintex Rally 'touring event" tommorow in a bit of a shambles due to its main spectator location getting pulled at the 11th hour. Leaves only a run round the car parj at Odsal Stadium even though they are using Duncombe Park. Same organiser was involved with a last minute canning of a demo event in Bradford last year sadly...

AndyRAC
10th April 2022, 09:58
Is Duncombe no longer spectator friendly? Or they just didn't want to use that venue?

Went to Sweetlamb for the Rallynuts Stages; nice day for the most part - bright & sunny, but a cool breeze. Plenty of action, and not one, but two Fiat 131 Abarths......Watched in the bowl in the morning, then went exploring in the afternoon further into the stage. If being honest, I prefer it in it's old date, early June, and and the forests south of Builth Wells.

HKSjbg
10th April 2022, 11:24
I didn’t get to go in the end; with the one car between me and the other half it just wasn’t practical in the end :(

Shame because some of the videos I’ve seen it wasn’t too dusty!

Is this the ‘bowl area’: https://youtu.be/B8MqKtgXxD8 That would have been a good spot to watch if I’d been able to get there.

I think the next rally for me will be Three Shires, by which time I’ll be living a ten minute walk from the service park so no excuses haha

AndyRAC
10th April 2022, 12:01
No, that's not the bowl area - that's almost the same place that I was in the afternoon.......

Sal yet again
10th April 2022, 16:56
They have used Duncombe on the Rally of the Tests etc but dont seem to want to have people watching.

Looks like the Odsal "stage" was a bit of a joke and traffic issues in Leeds saw only a handful of cars make it.

Think the organiser means well however this appears to be the latest in a series of unfortunate problems and suspect it will be to do with liability insurance and possible MSUK involvement as even "demo" events now seem to fall under the same banner as a full stage rally.

AndyRAC
10th April 2022, 21:04
Tour of Epynt this Saturday; still no news on spectators, so I guess that means none allowed.

Fast Eddie WRC
11th April 2022, 18:54
Circuit of Ireland ITRC Rd3 this weekend too...

http://www.irishtarmac.com/itrc-contenders-continue-challenge-on-circuit-of-ireland/

the sniper
11th April 2022, 20:29
Tour of Epynt this Saturday; still no news on spectators, so I guess that means none allowed.

Is the Epynt Commandant still trying to assess what rallying is...?

Sal yet again
12th April 2022, 07:32
Is the Epynt Commandant still trying to assess what rallying is...?

I had heard he'd been very much made aware of what rallying was and was full of enthusiasm however if that translates into allowing members of the public onto the ranges when a rally is on I'm not so sure.

Fast Eddie WRC
13th April 2022, 10:00
Seems Devine has switched to a Polo for the CoI. I hope this is just while his Fiesta is being fixed.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FQNf9caXEAAHg7T?format=jpg&name=900x900

HKSjbg
13th April 2022, 17:05
Speaking of the CoI the maps have been posted on rally-maps:

https://www.rally-maps.com/Circuit-of-Ireland-Rally-2022

I’m not here to bash the organisers or the event but it’s a pretty sad state of affairs that although 11 stages and 192km, there are 2(!) unique stages. Basically Glendun and Cairncastle run three times each and then again in reverse (though Sunday sees Glendun run twice and Cairncastle is actually 7.5km longer than it’s reverse counterpart).

Meanwhile the Manx (International) Rally is running 175.5km of double-run only stages a month later:

https://www.manxautosport.org/wp-content/uploads/2022/03/2022_fia_ert_sr_Manx-Rally-Final.pdf

Fast Eddie WRC
13th April 2022, 17:55
I was thinking the same... the Circuit of Ireland is now more of a run around the block.

Another pity is the increasing dominance of the Polo R5 over there - 6 of the top 10 cars now. On a podcast I heard that any Polo that comes up for sale in Ireland is sold in about 15 mins !! MEM said they could've sold their Polo's twice over no bother.

satnav
13th April 2022, 19:42
Here is a bit of an explanation as to the route for the Circuit.

https://rallyinsight.com/2022/04/08/covid-precautions-influenced-circuit-of-ireland-rally-route/

satnav
13th April 2022, 19:46
Seems Devine has switched to a Polo for the CoI. I hope this is just while his Fiesta is being fixed.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FQNf9caXEAAHg7T?format=jpg&name=900x900

Don't think so, this was talked about after Galway, so its been in the pipeline a while.

https://rallyinsight.com/2022/04/13/devine-explains-mid-season-switch-to-polo-r5/

satnav
13th April 2022, 20:18
Also going back to the Circuit of Ireland, as you can see on the stage maps there are a lot of chicanes and if a competitor hits a bale or barrier that then needs a marshal to move it back to its original position it will be a 30 second penalty for each offence.

Hopefully this doesn't spoil the event for some crews, as the crews were also saying they have been told at recce sign on if they even touch the plastic barriers with a wing mirror it will be a 10 second penalty although i can't see any mention of this in either the regs or the bulletin.

Time will tell

Fast Eddie WRC
13th April 2022, 20:27
Don't think so, this was talked about after Galway, so its been in the pipeline a while.

https://rallyinsight.com/2022/04/13/devine-explains-mid-season-switch-to-polo-r5/

Yeah I just read that too.

The Polo R5 has apparently become the car to have in Ireland since they all saw the speed of Edwards and Pryce on the 2021 Ulster Rally.

HKSjbg
13th April 2022, 20:43
Here is a bit of an explanation as to the route for the Circuit.

https://rallyinsight.com/2022/04/08/covid-precautions-influenced-circuit-of-ireland-rally-route/

Thanks for that! It all seems fair enough given the explanation offered - if it was just some marketing hype trying to avoid the burning question about ‘why only two stages’ then you’d feel a bit wary for the state of the rally in the future.

On this basis I’m sure for next year they’ll be able to run a more comprehensive stage itinerary.

Sal yet again
13th April 2022, 21:22
Polo might be the machine to have but a Hyundai is the car in front just now.

PLuto
14th April 2022, 00:41

:D

Fast Eddie WRC
14th April 2022, 09:11

This is true. Plus Craig Breen got some development done for the i20 R5 specifically for Irish roads so Moffett must be benefitting from this.

The early rounds may have suited the Hyundai but let''s see how it goes on the future events compared to the Polo's.

ouvreur
14th April 2022, 09:41
The early rounds may have suited the Hyundai but let''s see how it goes on the future events compared to the Polo's.
Galway and West Cork are pretty substantially different, both in terms of the nature of the stages, and the usual conditions competitors can expect to face.

The fact that Moffett in the i20 performed as well in the torrential rain and slippery, technical stages of Galway as he did in the dry, much faster lanes of West Cork suggests it'll be a tough task for anyone to beat him for the rest of the year.

Devine needs to hope the gearbox in the Polo isn't as fragile in his hands as the Fiesta's seemed to be with him behind the wheel...

Anyway, we won't learn too much this weekend, since it's only really a warm-up for the big race in Killarney in two weeks' time :lips: then we'll see fireworks!

PLuto
14th April 2022, 11:24
On fast tarmac roads Polo R5 is still the best.

Fast Eddie WRC
14th April 2022, 17:41
To be fair there's not much between the top drivers here and it could just be who was feeling good on the day deciding the results, not their cars.

Plus Josh Moffett has been around a while now and won the Irish National Championship last year, so he could just leading on skill regardless of machinery.

satnav
14th April 2022, 20:35
Some links to keep track of the Circuit

Results https://www.rallyscore.net/#/results/2525/1000?Circuit-of-Ireland

Event live stream https://www.youtube.com/c/HMProductions

Onthepacenote live reports https://www.facebook.com/onthepacenote

Fast Eddie WRC
18th April 2022, 11:59
Pity the forum's been down as the CoI was really exciting. Enjoyed the live coverage and great battles at the top.

PLuto
18th April 2022, 12:17
Pity the forum's been down as the CoI was really exciting. Enjoyed the live coverage and great battles at the top.

You can write us a short summary :)

AndyRAC
18th April 2022, 12:26
I had heard he'd been very much made aware of what rallying was and was full of enthusiasm however if that translates into allowing members of the public onto the ranges when a rally is on I'm not so sure.

I kept checking the website to see any news - and nothing, so presumed no spectators. Only to find out on Friday evening on the British Rally forum that spectator areas were being prepared. Too late by then, I had no supplies in. Even now the website hasn't been updated.

Fast Eddie WRC
18th April 2022, 12:48
You can write us a short summary :)

The main thing was that there was a battle and no car or driver was dominant.

Henry led in the Fiesta and took big time on some of stages until his engine caused retirement. Moffett in the i20 was very quick and consistent throughout. Devine showed good pace in his new Polo and then Fisher came up with a great finale and won it with a run of fastest times in his VW..

the sniper
18th April 2022, 14:25
I kept checking the website to see any news - and nothing, so presumed no spectators. Only to find out on Friday evening on the British Rally forum that spectator areas were being prepared. Too late by then, I had no supplies in. Even now the website hasn't been updated.

Rally Maps still has the note "⚠️ No spectators allowed! ⚠️"... :D https://www.rally-maps.com/Tour-of-Epynt-2022

Funny old game, following British rallying.

ProSpec
18th April 2022, 15:38
I mapped the event two weeks ago and at that time they were saying no spectators. Seb (The owner of the website) holds those events until after they have run. I did not bother amending this, my apologies.

HKSjbg
18th April 2022, 17:37
I’ve noticed British events are always held until after the event, most others seem to be published before the event. Is that a requirement from Motorsport UK or collectively each rally organiser requests that?

Sal yet again
19th April 2022, 09:43
Great day out on Sunday at the NORC event at Pickering. Amazing sounding machinery and lots of big jumps to photo and hardly any red and white tape on show! Bit of an Italian job situation at one point but the crew were fine and back out later in the day.

Can highly recommend a trip out to an AWD/NORC/Comp Safari event where speccies are allowed as very informal and generally less hassle than a stage event with good sensible marshalling and a sense of fun, something which is missing elsewhere. A lot of the crews build their own cars and the engineering on show is often very enterprising which makes a nice change from generic cars on show on other events.

Hopefully will get some pics up at some point!

Fast Eddie WRC
19th April 2022, 10:00
ITRC Rd3 official review...

http://www.irishtarmac.com/fisher-fightback-earns-circuit-crown-and-first-win-of-2022/

Sal yet again
19th April 2022, 16:35
https://youtu.be/L76PJLOzLBw

Not my video but the sound is worth a few secs of your time.

the sniper
20th April 2022, 12:31
I mapped the event two weeks ago and at that time they were saying no spectators. Seb (The owner of the website) holds those events until after they have run. I did not bother amending this, my apologies.

No need to apologise! Thanks for your efforts! More amused/bemused by the wider situation...

AndyRAC
20th April 2022, 13:18
Yeah, British Rallying constantly amuses/ bemuses......

Sal yet again
29th April 2022, 20:32
Dont just think its us that put the stupid in rallying. Out in Lanzarote for what should have been the 3rd round of the Spanish SCER but which was cancelled on the eve of shakedown with all the main teams having shipped their cars and support team to the island. The ecology lobby had forced a reduction in stage km already but that wasnt enough for them and it appears powers within the local government pressed for licences not to issued resulting in cancellation. There are going to be massive repercussions. For me its a pisser as am using some of next years leave however the weather and seafood is a comfort@

Fast Eddie WRC
29th April 2022, 20:52
ITRC Rally of the Lakes preview:

https://rallyinsight.com/2022/04/26/irish-tarmac-spices-up-for-killarneys-rally-of-the-lakes/

Fast Eddie WRC
1st May 2022, 09:58
Great battle in Killarney between Fisher and Devine, with fractions between them & even the same time on the 2nd run over Molls Gap (beating the bogey time) !
The Polo drivers are much stronger here than Moffett in the old i20.

Fast Eddie WRC
1st May 2022, 15:31
Devine with 6 stage wins in a row today but only nibbling tenths off Fisher... 3.1s between them with 1 stage to go !

Fast Eddie WRC
1st May 2022, 17:08
Devine wins after Fisher went off the road under braking on the final stage !

Possibly a deserved win after his day 2 speed putting on the pressure, but a shame for Fisher to go away with no points after leading throughout. Not good for the Ch'ship battle either, taking the pressure of Moffett.

AndyRAC
18th May 2022, 08:30
Plains Rally this weekend; and going by the spectator locations, it seems they're using different forests from previous years. I tended to go to Dyfi/Dyfnant. I think I'll be off to Alwen.

Fast Eddie WRC
18th May 2022, 18:39
Full hour long highlights from the ITRC Rally of the Lakes on BT Sport today. What a difference to the shabby YT offering we get from the BRC.

the sniper
19th May 2022, 00:09
Plains Rally this weekend; and going by the spectator locations, it seems they're using different forests from previous years. I tended to go to Dyfi/Dyfnant. I think I'll be off to Alwen.

Heading for Cloc myself. One of my favourite spots for spectating is seemingly in use, many happy memories from Rally GB shakedown in there. Good entry too, particularly given it's not a BTRDA or BRC event.

AndyRAC
22nd May 2022, 10:46
Enjoyable day out in Alwen; decent weather and a good entry - and despite a delay, I think I was back at the car by about 16:30. I thought it was interesting that in the morning, at Post 8 in Alwen, one of the marshals mentioned how surprised he was at the lack of spectators, especially as earlier in the week car park B was unable to be used. He was expecting a few hundred, I reckon there were about 25, if that.

I have to say, I hope more organisers make use of the Sportity app; it's a real bonus, with updates flashing up, and lots of info; that's how I knew of the no access to car park B in Alwen earlier in the week.

On another point; when was the last time a forest rally used the South Wales forests of Rheola/Walters Arena, Rhondda, Resolfen? I haven't been down there for ages.

HKSjbg
22nd May 2022, 12:22
I thought the Red Kite (not running this year) used those stages since it moved from January (Epynt area stages) to June? Also Walters was used for last year’s Roger Albert Clark wasn’t it?

AndyRAC
22nd May 2022, 12:57
The Red Kite seems to have moved around; I remember going to Halfway in early January in ( so early the Christmas decorations were still up) 2002/3. Then in 2010 in mid April I went to Brechfa for the same event.

Saying that the following events, which used them have all gone; Red Dragon Stages (May), Swansea Bay (July/Aug) Neath Valley Stages (Aug)

the sniper
22nd May 2022, 22:00
Enjoyable day out in Alwen; decent weather and a good entry - and despite a delay, I think I was back at the car by about 16:30. I thought it was interesting that in the morning, at Post 8 in Alwen, one of the marshals mentioned how surprised he was at the lack of spectators, especially as earlier in the week car park B was unable to be used. He was expecting a few hundred, I reckon there were about 25, if that.

On another point; when was the last time a forest rally used the South Wales forests of Rheola/Walters Arena, Rhondda, Resolfen? I haven't been down there for ages.

I think there were more people in Clocaenog East, but they were spread out around the forest. There was a good atmosphere and a few familiar faces about. I'd (make a probably terrible) guess that were at least 100 well loaded cars in the car park. Not being part of the BTRDA or BRC probably had an impact. As much as everyone loves Escorts, the Historic Championship doesn't have the biggest profile.

As HKSjbg says, Rheola/Walters Arena was used on the RAC last year and looked really good. I'd intended to go there for that final day, but it didn't fit my plans and I'd done the previous days, so didn't feel compelled. Regretted it though as I've wanted to go to those stages for a while...

One stage I'd love to see used again is St. Gwynno, but I doubt it'll ever happen. That one went OOU even before the rest were abandoned.

AndyRAC
23rd May 2022, 09:16
That's a stage I've never been to; it used to be the stage before Tyle on RallyGB, and I tended to go there - and I suspect that too is no longer used. It's a shame we no longer have a South Wales forest event like we used to....

HKSjbg
24th May 2022, 06:02
I’m sure Red Kite will be back next year and using Rhondda, Rheola etc. Only cancelled this year due to a loss of service venue. A shame it couldn’t be re-scheduled though.

Fast Eddie WRC
7th June 2022, 12:38
ITRC Donegal entry list... featuring a certain Matt Edwards !! :)

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FUcAGYwXEAE5YW5?format=jpg&name=900x900

Fast Eddie WRC
8th June 2022, 17:47
This list has an incorrect car for Matt Edwards, he'll actually be in..

a Citroen C3 Rally2 !

Fast Eddie WRC
14th June 2022, 15:19
Crews set for 3-Day 300 km Donegal Rally classic..

https://rallyinsight.com/2022/06/11/over-200-crews-set-for-300-km-donegal-rally-classic/

HKSjbg
16th June 2022, 13:58
Maps for the Kielder Forest Rally is up: https://www.rally-maps.com/Kielder-Forest-Rally-2022

That’s the first time in a while I’ve seen the route freely published before a rally on the UK mainland.

ProSpec
16th June 2022, 14:52
Hi all, we usually ask the organisers if they are happy for us to publish but very few reply so Seb (the website's owner) holds them until the event has finished.

HKSjbg
16th June 2022, 15:12
Ahh OK. I thought it might have been something to do with the rallies that did run last year mostly being subjected to a ‘no spectators allowed’ rule and it continuing as a legacy of that. Thanks for the info!

AndyRAC
17th June 2022, 08:21
The event formerly known as the Pirelli International Rally, usually held in late April/early May.

https://kielderforestrally.co.uk/spectators-timetable/

Fast Eddie WRC
17th June 2022, 09:02
Great interview video with Matt Edwards ahead of Donegal Rally...

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=3693535627437144&id=195261333931275&__tn__=%2AW-R

Fast Eddie WRC
17th June 2022, 11:10
Matt Edwards straight on the pace - 2nd fastest on SS1 - super impressive !

Ditto on SS2 - only 0.5s off the fastest time of Devine !!

What a first loop by Edwards - in 2nd place just 8.4s off the lead and on SS2 & SS3 stages lost less than 1s ! All this after months out and in a strange car !!

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FVZzzn-WAAY9wMR?format=jpg&name=900x900

And this afternoon 2 fastest times by Matt. What a fantastic performance back in a Rally2 car !

Sal yet again
18th June 2022, 09:11
Less than 6 seconds in it after SS6. Going to be a big day.

Fast Eddie WRC
18th June 2022, 11:05
So close the times so Edwards half-spin on SS9 could've cost him the chance of the win. 27s behind now... but still half the rally to go !

Fast Eddie WRC
19th June 2022, 10:18
Damp conditions for the the start of day 3 in Donegal, so an opportunity to take some tyre risks and maybe win some time back. Still all to play for.

E. Devine hit a chicane and is out ! Edwards now leads and Moffett has jumped up to 2nd ahead of Fisher.

Fast Eddie WRC
19th June 2022, 12:27
Damp conditions for the the start of day 3 in Donegal, so an opportunity to take some tyre risks and maybe win some time back. Still all to play for.

E. Devine hit a chicane and is out ! Edwards now leads and Moffett has jumped up to 2nd ahead of Fisher.

E2. Edward's off on SS17... what a shame after a great comeback drive. :(

Puncture late on for Ali Fisher and so a comfortable win for Josh Moffett in the end. Good for him but not for a close battle for the title. He must have a big lead now.

Sal yet again
20th June 2022, 12:55
Hyundai picks up the pieces. The way Josh is going he will tie up both titles at this rate.

Fast Eddie WRC
22nd June 2022, 10:15
Wow, didnt realise their crash was that bad !! So glad they were ok in the end.

https://dirtfish.com/rally/what-happened-in-edwards-scary-donegal-crash/

AndyRAC
24th June 2022, 10:25
Argyll Stages & Sweetlamb Rally Time Trial this weekend......hoping to get to Sweetlamb on Sunday. I know I've said before, but I don't know there aren't more Rallysprint/Time Trials....a single stage, no road mileage...

Fast Eddie WRC
25th June 2022, 17:31
Good to hear from the recovering Matt Edwards on the AR podcast. He is taking the positives from Dongal and looking to capitalise on the links he made there and try to compete again in Ireland later this year and next.

AndyRAC
27th June 2022, 22:00
https://www.motorsportuk.org/our-eclectic-future-presented-at-british-motorsport-day-in-the-palace-of-westminster/?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=post&utm_campaign=&utmcontent=britishmotorsportday

https://twitter.com/ourmotorsportuk/status/1541410672059322368

Dave Richards & Hugh Chambers in attendance.....Couldn't see anything rally related at all....

Fast Eddie WRC
26th July 2022, 09:24
Cork 20 - Can anyone stop Josh Moffett ?

https://www.irishnews.com/sport/othersports/2022/07/26/news/monaghan_s_josh_moffett_the_target_as_irish_tarmac _rally_title_battle_continues_in_cork-2780716/

HKSjbg
26th July 2022, 11:59
I find it quite bizarre that the Ulster is a double-points round, despite it being the shortest event of the season by at least 40km

AndyRAC
26th July 2022, 12:54
I find it quite bizarre that the Ulster is a double-points round, despite it being the shortest event of the season by at least 40km

Ridiculous!! Why do they do this? Double points are fine if it's double the distance. I recall the BRC title decider in 2009 - the Trackrod. Again it offered double points, yet was nowhere near being double distance. From memory, both Cronin & Higgins had the same results; Cronin won due to winning the double points Trackrod......It is bizarre and reeks of 'play offs'....

HKSjbg
26th July 2022, 18:30
I also don’t get the wisdom in the Cork 20 moving to the end of July, leaving the last round of the championship in August. Sure, we didn’t know if an NI Rally UK was going to happen and it was planned for the same weekend as the Ulster but I don’t see why that meant the Cork 20 moved.

Either the Ulster could have moved to the last weekend of July, or if that was considered too close to the Down Rally then it could have been in October…

Fast Eddie WRC
27th July 2022, 12:46

Its just a coincidence that the final rally of the season happens to be the shortest. At least its got the challenge of night stages.

ouvreur
28th July 2022, 07:02
I guess Cork 20 were getting pretty bored of being the last round of the year. It's one of the best events in Ireland, but rarely does it get the entry it deserves, since the championship is usually a done deal by the time it runs, even with 1.5x points on offer.

I suppose the idea of making Ulster worth 2x points, is that it should still have some meaning. While it's the shortest event, that certainly does not mean it's the easiest... any time lost to small mistakes or bad tyre decisions will be harder to make back.

It's one of those situations where the championship would get slated either way. Either the last round is a dead rubber, or it's considered artificial. Let's wait and see - it might just be brilliant, who knows?

Fast Eddie WRC
28th July 2022, 09:33
A win at Cork 20 will be key. How it could work out...

https://rallyinsight.com/2022/07/27/why-cork-20-win-is-key-to-title-hopes-of-itrcs-top-four/

HKSjbg
28th July 2022, 18:14
Its just a coincidence that the final rally of the season happens to be the shortest. At least its got the challenge of night stages.

Yes bizarre wasn’t the right word. Ironic that the shortest event is the one worth most points, a shame that the shortest event is the ‘grand finale’. But then as said above the shorter event can sometimes be more of a high-pressure conclusion to the season.

At least its not a comically short 70km clubman event!

the sniper
29th July 2022, 14:10
Off topic, but rather mixed feelings watching the Commonwealth Games triathlon live on BBC1, with them running along roads used for various versions of the Sutton Park RAC Rally stage... Nice to imagine what it'd be like if used today!

Fast Eddie WRC
30th July 2022, 13:46
Pretty damn close on the Cork 20... :D

After Stage 6/15

1 Moffett 32:18.4s
2 Fisher +0.2s
3 Devine +2.0

Fast Eddie WRC
30th July 2022, 14:45
All change on SS7... the top guys all spun !

https://www.facebook.com/onthepacenote/videos/533427658574835/?flite=scwspnss

Fast Eddie WRC
31st July 2022, 09:17
Leader Fisher has crashed out on the opening stage Sunday morning. Moffett takes the lead and looks ever-stronger for the title.

Sal yet again
1st August 2022, 07:25
https://youtu.be/C0FLJnOxC8k

Video (not mine!) which features all the top crews having their big moments on SS7. Lucky there wasnt a big smash here.

Fast Eddie WRC
2nd August 2022, 12:59
https://youtu.be/C0FLJnOxC8k

Video (not mine!) which features all the top crews having their big moments on SS7. Lucky there wasnt a big smash here.

Indeed, especially the Mk1 & Mk2 Escorts and the Impreza ! Shouldn't the marshals have been trying to warn approaching crews of the danger of that corner ?

The videos were already sent on WhatsApp before drivers had reached the end so they could even have warned those still to start.

Sal yet again
3rd August 2022, 12:37
TBH the guy with the flag should have been down the road if possible to alert crews but guess the location didnt allow for that. All a bit iffy and they risked getting flattened if they stepped out of the field by the looks of it.

HKSjbg
5th August 2022, 17:05
The Pokerstars Rally has been renamed Chris Kelly Memorial Manx Stages for this year and has a generous 212km itinerary lined up!

https://www.ewrc-results.com/timetable/74536-chris-kelly-memorial-manx-stages-2022/

https://www.manxautosport.org/chris-kelly-memorial-manx-stages-offers-tough-island-test/

Sal yet again
5th August 2022, 18:56
Some classic stages there and will probably be wet at that time of year so a proper test!

AndyRAC
7th August 2022, 12:25
https://msnrallychamp.co.uk/2022/08/05/championship-takes-a-year-off-as-rallies-continue/

Not great news, but at least the events will still run; but a reminder that the sport has relied on volunteers for far too long.

the sniper
7th August 2022, 15:43
I'm somewhat surprised (if) MSVR aren't taking up organising it themselves, surely it'd be a decent enough money spinner for the winter months?

Were these the organisers involved in the controversial/failed reimagining of the MSUK Asphalt Rally Championship?

Sal yet again
7th August 2022, 18:19
The Oulton and Cadwell "Fireworks" events will stand alone as big draws as much for the fireworks as the rallying. Brands Hatch also but the rallies at Anglesey and Snetterton am not so sure how big a box office draw they would be gate wise.

The problem I guess is that old chestnut of would crews pay a bit extra to attract a professional or semi pro organisers in the absence of a major headline sponsor. Think judging by the standard response on the BRF to that question the answer would be an emphatic no!

AndyRAC
7th August 2022, 20:24
The problem I guess is that old chestnut of would crews pay a bit extra to attract a professional or semi pro organisers in the absence of a major headline sponsor. Think judging by the standard response on the BRF to that question the answer would be an emphatic no!

For series like the BRC, and even this Circuit championship, I think that is the only option. It's 2022, the sport can't be expecting people to give up their time for free. And if they do, look at what has started to happen. Some of those on the BRF are living in a time warp - is it any wonder the sport is where it is at?

Fast Eddie WRC
8th August 2022, 11:25
Rally organising, especially working as volunteers, is a tough and often thankless task nowadays. Even in Ireland where rallying seems much more popular than here, they are finding it a real struggle, both financially and logistically.

The CoC at the recent Cork 20 was saying how mega-stressful it was and issues like marshals not turning up for half of the junctions on some stages was a total nightmare. Who would want to put themselves through it?

Fast Eddie WRC
14th August 2022, 12:43
Breen doing a local Irish event in his dad's Focus WRC ...

https://www.ewrc-results.com/results/74482-jim-walsh-cork-forest-rally-2022/

HKSjbg
15th August 2022, 18:51
http://www.ulsterrally.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/08/Ulster_Rally_Spectator_Programme_2022_web_compress ed.pdf

Found the itinerary for the Ulster with proper stage names - Brontë Homeland continues and is joined by returning Tyrones Ditches, Babylon Hill and Mount Pleasant.

Not sure but Slieve Gullion might be a new one (not to he confused with Slieve Gallion up in the Sperrin Mountains) and it looks like a really narrow mountain pass!

HKSjbg
16th August 2022, 07:46
The maps are now up on rally-maps too: https://www.rally-maps.com/Ulster-Rally-2022

Fast Eddie WRC
19th August 2022, 15:56
Looks like some live coverage for the Ulster finale ! :cool:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TUe6qm_qvNo

Fast Eddie WRC
19th August 2022, 17:05
I see Devine and Fisher have both withdrawn their entries as they cant win the title. Shame, plus tough on Evans slim chance of the Ch'ship as they wont be there to take points of Moffett.

E: Fisher had a part supply issue after his crash damage on the Cork 20.

Fast Eddie WRC
20th August 2022, 11:31
Leader Henry crashed out so Evans now leads. But Moffett is just cruising to get a finish and the Championship.

Fast Eddie WRC
20th August 2022, 15:15
Josh Moffett is safely through and the ITRC 2022 Title is his ! :champion:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FanQI0tXkAAQJML?format=jpg&name=4096x4096

HKSjbg
20th August 2022, 16:14
Is that also Evans’ first international win?

Fast Eddie WRC
22nd August 2022, 09:40
Is that also Evans’ first international win?

His fist ITRC win, so I guess so. Although the absence of other top drivers and the fact Moffett was only cruising rather devalues it.

the sniper
1st September 2022, 00:04
Is there any risk of the Woodpecker Rally losing any stages due to a lack of marshals? Seems crazy that we've ended up with entirely separate BRC/TER (spiritually an International) and BTRDA (big National) events less than 50 miles apart on the same day... It's hardly like the old days when there were so many events that the calendar was full, making clashes unavoidable. Entries for both are impressive, considering.

Anyone else intending to watch both? Should be a great weekend of spectating, if everything works out!

AndyRAC
1st September 2022, 08:07
It constantly amazes me that this is allowed; the usual defence is "they cater for different customers". Which may be partly right, but in a period of less marshals, it needs addressing. But probably won't be - until events are called off.

In all honesty, BRC events shouldn't be running at the same time as a BTRDA event; unless they're a joint event.

HKSjbg
1st September 2022, 12:21
Anyone else intending to watch both? Should be a great weekend of spectating, if everything works out!

I was thinking of going to the Saturday night stage (Devil’s Bridge) as Sunday is not possible for me this weekend but unfortunately so too is Saturday night as it turns out :( I will probably go to Haye Park though as it’s about 25 minutes from my house - hopefully Saturday morning will be damp in Ludlow :D

AndyRAC
1st September 2022, 14:06
When it's dry & dusty in Haye Park, the dust tends to hang in the air.......No trip this year for me, as I've no car at the moment.

Fast Eddie WRC
2nd September 2022, 09:31
Watch both on SS

https://scontent.fman4-1.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t39.30808-6/305033071_6053028174724629_2536108503659843469_n.j pg?stp=dst-jpg_p180x540&_nc_cat=107&ccb=1-7&_nc_sid=730e14&_nc_ohc=JRaaEDcqDmEAX_ELWSV&_nc_ht=scontent.fman4-1.fna&oh=00_AT-REG46ag76YrqbWv1h651R48LE2TgZ6-WwNt6xSMMWxw&oe=6316DAA8

Fast Eddie WRC
3rd September 2022, 13:41
Elliot Payne managed to do both ! :cool:

https://www.britishrallychampionship.co.uk/news/two-rallies-two-surfaces-two-cars-one-weekend/

Steve Boyd
3rd September 2022, 23:17
Elliot Payne managed to do both ! :cool:

https://www.britishrallychampionship.co.uk/news/two-rallies-two-surfaces-two-cars-one-weekend/

And finished 3rd O/A on the Woodpecker. Let's see what he does on the Ceredigion.

HKSjbg
7th September 2022, 09:05
This year’s Galloway Hills is pretty much running 2/3 of the stages they managed last year, but run 3 times each:

https://www.rally-maps.com/Galloway-Hills-Rally-2022

That doesn’t bode well for an event 2 editions ago was able to run about 3x unique stage mileage :(

the sniper
7th September 2022, 16:52
https://dirtfish.com/rally/brc/the-futuristic-vision-of-wales-new-international-rally/

You've certainly got to admire the team involved, they're really thinking/organising in the way you imagine it should be done in this century.

One thing I'd disagree with Luke Barry on though, having attended both events last weekend, I really don't think tarmac rallying is better than gravel rallying, in terms of spectator spectacle anyway. I think in modern tarmac rally, as a spectator, you really have to put in effort or recce the stages and find a decent spot to get the most out of it (and aren't officially supposed to), whereas on gravel, even fairly unremarkable corners can still produce spectacle. From the competitors side though, I can see the appeal of tarmac rallying.

Going forwards think it'd be great if we could see a few rallies like this spread out around the country, largely based on the great old road rally routes of the past. The North West Stages has potential in this regard, a Blackpool stage and start/finish might be an idea.

J4MIE
7th September 2022, 17:36
This year’s Galloway Hills is pretty much running 2/3 of the stages they managed last year, but run 3 times each:

https://www.rally-maps.com/Galloway-Hills-Rally-2022

That doesn’t bode well for an event 2 editions ago was able to run about 3x unique stage mileage :(

They didn’t get enough entries to run the full event, so instead of cancelling they asked crews if they would want to do 3 loops of two stages, instead of 2 loops of 3 stages. It’s a shame as it’s my favourite event of the year to compete on (last year was the best rally I have ever done). Just wasn’t able to this year sadly, too many other commitments throughout the year.

https://dirtfish.com/rally/brc/the-futuristic-vision-of-wales-new-international-rally/

You've certainly got to admire the team involved, they're really thinking/organising in the way you imagine it should be done in this century.

One thing I'd disagree with Luke Barry on though, having attended both events last weekend, I really don't think tarmac rallying is better than gravel rallying, in terms of spectator spectacle anyway. I think in modern tarmac rally, as a spectator, you really have to put in effort or recce the stages and find a decent spot to get the most out of it (and aren't officially supposed to), whereas on gravel, even fairly unremarkable corners can still produce spectacle. From the competitors side though, I can see the appeal of tarmac rallying.

Going forwards think it'd be great if we could see a few rallies like this spread out around the country, largely based on the great old road rally routes of the past. The North West Stages has potential in this regard, a Blackpool stage and start/finish might be an idea.

Ceredigion organisers are certainly bold and have been pushing for a top level event already, but have spent a LOT of money doing so. The stages are superb and I would’ve liked to do it - maybe next year.

There are more and more closed road events being organised around the UK. Some events have happened (East Riding, NW Stages, Clacton, Argyll, Ceredigion, Three Shires), but others have encountered serious issues - Hertfordshire due to a cruise type thing resulting in a fatal accident a few years ago, Coast2Coast, plus others that I don’t think were publicised (one of which was half a mile from my hometown :( ).

It is EXTREMELY difficult to organise these events even if you can get it off the ground with local authorities - NW Stages have now decided to only do it every other year. Heard that one of the senior organisers put in 800 hours for this year’s event which is unsustainable.
With climate change being near the top of locals concerns, there is a minority of residents on proposed rally routes that simply doesn’t accept these events should happen. They need a lot of convincing about the positives that these events can bring to the area and can easily have a big influence on the viability of events (sadly).

AndyRAC
7th September 2022, 18:22
It is EXTREMELY difficult to organise these events even if you can get it off the ground with local authorities - NW Stages have now decided to only do it every other year. Heard that one of the senior organisers put in 800 hours for this year’s event which is unsustainable.
With climate change being near the top of locals concerns, there is a minority of residents on proposed rally routes that simply doesn’t accept these events should happen. They need a lot of convincing about the positives that these events can bring to the area and can easily have a big influence on the viability of events (sadly).

I'm not sure I'd heard the NW Stages was now every other year - that is sad, but as you say, 800 hours given up voluntarily isn't something that can continue.

The big issue for me, is 'closed roads' should have happened years ago; we've gone too far down the road, that there are now many obstacles in the way of running a closed road event. One imagines those that run have had to jump through all types of hoops, and plenty of ££££ to get anywhere.

Sal yet again
8th September 2022, 18:20
On a happier note rallying will return to Croft at the end of November.

J4MIE
13th September 2022, 15:50
Sheffield and Hallamshire Motor Club have consulted with Miriam Cates MP, BMBC, and Penistone Town Council. All parties have welcomed the proposal for Sheffield and Hallamshire Motor Club to organise a closed road stage rally using the minor roads around Penistone. Subject to Motorsport UK approval

It is proposed that the rally will comprise of four special stages (competitive sections) using minor roads in predominantly low populated areas. The stages being linked by the use of A and B roads (road sections which are non-competitive). The loop of stages will be run twice, once in the morning and once in the afternoon. We are considering if possible, to run the two stages to the north west and south west of Penistone a third time.

https://southyorkshirestagesrally.co.uk

Another new closed road event, luckily not far from me. Hopefully works out to run in October 2023.

Sal yet again
14th September 2022, 07:44
https://www.rallies.info/webentry/2022/winter/entries.php?type=u

Provisional entry list for the Swift Signs Winter Stages at Croft is looking good.

Date the rally is scheduled to run is Sunday 27th November.

Just need the circuit to update its website to attract spectator interest!

ouvreur
14th September 2022, 07:52
https://southyorkshirestagesrally.co.uk

Another new closed road event, luckily not far from me. Hopefully works out to run in October 2023.

I wonder if Penistone was chosen for it's scenery, the quality of the lanes, or the fact the name is pure banter?

Sal yet again
14th September 2022, 14:37
Did a few road rallies in that area when I lived in Sth Yorks and some half decent roads that could be used.

Sal yet again
14th September 2022, 14:40
https://www.rallies.info/webentry/2022/malton/entries.php?type=u

Malton Forest Stages on the 6th November showing a very healthy provisional entry list.

AndyRAC
16th September 2022, 07:56
Interesting spectator info for the Wyedean Rally on the 15th October.

https://www.wyedeanstages.co.uk/spectator-information

Sal yet again
16th September 2022, 08:52
WTF?!! That sounds like a potential for chaos. I know that there have been issues with spectators in the past due to the woods proximity to local housing however the lack of info can only make things worse surely?

AndyRAC
16th September 2022, 09:18
Well yes, there was the infamous 2015 running, which made the front page of the MNews, and a strong letter from the then MSA Chairman. It moved to October/November and is no longer part of the BTRDA.

I would love to know the thinking; without knowing all the details, it has all the hallmarks of Forestry England not wanting the sport in the Forest of Dean........

It's a pretty popular MTB venue, GMBN uses it, and has been/is used by World Champions for skills training.

HKSjbg
16th September 2022, 17:37
Brilliant, I’ve missed all three of my local rallies this year for one reason or another. Maybe I’ll try the Cambrian instead

J4MIE
16th September 2022, 23:02
Three Shires definitely cancelled.

I find it very strange that they initially said it was being postponed, but the closed road laws don’t have any provision for postponement (oops) and so they’d have to apply for a new MRO which needs to be done a minimum of 6 months in advance. And they wanted to run it in November :crazy: Organising team too inexperienced in these matters I think. Let’s hope that the successful events can share the best ways of working so that we can have more successful events around the UK. Still early days into closed road rallies. Do think more people need to help out with the organisational side of things which is a mammoth task, personally think it should be a condition of getting a competition licence.

AndyRAC
17th September 2022, 07:10
Oh dear me, I don't know what to say......

However, I've just been on the Facebook page, and now understand why. FFS...."so we don't cause offence to people at this time".
We (as a country) have completely lost the plot this week....cancelling/closing everything.

All the planning, time, and man hours have gone......One feels for the organisers, and that they felt they had to postpone. However, thinking they could get a date within a month or two seems wishful thinking. So it's a cancelled event.....

Fast Eddie WRC
18th September 2022, 14:15
Strange the Promenade Stages Rally went ahead on the 9/10th Sept right after the death of HM The Queen. Not closed roads as such as the are privately owned, but they're used by the public and close to housing at New Brighton.

Humber
23rd September 2022, 23:18
John Fife hangs up the rally boots. Intends to write a treatise on the Scottish Rally Championship.

http://www.johnfife.co.uk/

Sal yet again
3rd October 2022, 07:47
Carlisle Stages entry list:

https://www.rallies.info/webentry/2022/carlisle/entries.php?type=u

Round of the BHRC and SRC amongst others and another good looking entry

Sal yet again
4th October 2022, 11:58
Looks like the Wyedean will be a spectator event after all....

AndyRAC
4th October 2022, 13:24
They surely had no other option; it was a recipe for confusion. The only way of stopping people turning up (including MTB riders) was to try to close the forest - which is next to impossible.

AndyRAC
5th October 2022, 10:38
Interesting spectator info for the Wyedean Rally on the 15th October.

https://www.wyedeanstages.co.uk/spectator-information

Now amended..looks like they've changed their minds.

J4MIE
5th October 2022, 11:32
Carlisle Stages entry list:

https://www.rallies.info/webentry/2022/carlisle/entries.php?type=u

Round of the BHRC and SRC amongst others and another good looking entry

Still a few entries trickling in but struggling for overall numbers. A few of the historics out for a bit of practice of the stages ahead of next year’s RAC possibly?

I’m out with Brian again in his Millington Escort. Did a few of the stages on the Border Counties in May, but not been in Florida since about 2017.
Probably my last event for a while so will be aiming to enjoy it as much as possible :D

J4MIE
6th October 2022, 19:33
………and Carlisle entry pulled today, so my season is already over :(

Sal yet again
6th October 2022, 19:35
Sorry to hear that. How many do they need to have the Carlisle run?

J4MIE
8th October 2022, 21:23
Sorry to hear that. How many do they need to have the Carlisle run?

Minimum is 55 so more than enough to run.

Sal yet again
11th October 2022, 12:41
https://www.rallies.info/webentry/2022/mull/entries.php?type=s

One of the classics of the current calendar takes place this weekend up on the Isle of Mull. The event has not been kidnapped by the BRC this year so the entry list looks like it tends to do with tarmac regulars mixing it with some fast locals. Cracking stages with at least one marathon one and no doubt the weather will have a big say as normal.

J4MIE
12th October 2022, 15:55
https://www.rallies.info/webentry/2022/mull/entries.php?type=s

One of the classics of the current calendar takes place this weekend up on the Isle of Mull. The event has not been kidnapped by the BRC this year so the entry list looks like it tends to do with tarmac regulars mixing it with some fast locals. Cracking stages with at least one marathon one and no doubt the weather will have a big say as normal.

Can’t see how you think the BRC kidnapped the event last year, apart from a few upset locals it didn’t seem any different at all, and proved yet again that locals “showing the top boys how to drive” is all talk, with Matt Edwards setting multiple new stage records.

I’ve been to watch about 15 times or thereabouts but giving it a miss this year. Rallying in the dark just doesn’t do it for me at all, would MUCH rather be able to see the cars and the beautiful scenery.

HKSjbg
14th October 2022, 06:20
Looks like the Wyedean will be 2 stages run thrice as the spectator info for Speech House says it will run at 9:05, 11:55 and 14:50

https://www.wyedeanstages.co.uk/_files/ugd/211f70_ebf5b31704984f1baac333572df70726.pdf

I’ll definitely be making it out to this one, no excuses this time!

Sal yet again
17th October 2022, 10:33
Looked to be plenty of people out in the woods judging by the YT footage Ive seen. Did everyone behave?

HKSjbg
17th October 2022, 14:35
From the chatter I heard from the marshals where I was stood, no. Apparently a dog walker was ‘kicking off on stage 1’. But generally speaking I think it must’ve gone alright.

To be honest I didn’t enjoy it much at Speech House, I wonder if there were better viewing opportunities at Blaize Bailey. No way of knowing which woods were being used other than the designated spectator points though until I saw the maps up on rally-maps.com last night.

I think I’ll stick to a 2 hour drive through mid Wales at the crack of dawn to get to Myherin/Hafren/Sweet Lamb!

AndyRAC
21st October 2022, 15:02
Spectator info for the Carlisle Stages Rally:

http://racrmc.org/carlisle-stages/spectator-information

Steve Boyd
21st October 2022, 23:23
Live results here for mobile devices:
https://results.djames.org.uk/results/?e=651&simple

and here:
https://results.djames.org.uk/results/index.php?EventID=651&e=651
for PC's

J4MIE
22nd October 2022, 09:13
Keeping my fingers crossed that Chris Lees can take the Scottish co-driver championship today :D

J4MIE
22nd October 2022, 13:29
Was all looking good for Chris at service but had a puncture in SS4 and lost a lot of time - now rolled out on SS5. Gutted :(

Sal yet again
6th November 2022, 14:52
Just managed one very foggy stage at Cropton today on the Malton Forest Rally. Quite a few offs on the previous stage at Gale Rigg made for some gaps in the order. Hugh Brunton seemed to be going well in his new to him Fabia R5 but heard that he's rolled it later on sadly. Both Petch and Payne Snr appear not to have started due to failing the noise check..

https://www.rallies.info/res.php?e=492

Sal yet again
7th November 2022, 08:20
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VAeOuZTW7Ew

The one time I didnt go to my favourite bend in Gale Rigg and all this happens! Been a while since they ran it downhill so guess thats why it caught so many out.

the sniper
7th November 2022, 20:58
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VAeOuZTW7Ew

The one time I didnt go to my favourite bend in Gale Rigg and all this happens! Been a while since they ran it downhill so guess thats why it caught so many out.

I wouldn't have expected so many to go off there, one of those corners where no one or everyone will go off though! Particularly sorry to see the Saab take a good bash, they regularly look to be peddling it quickly and put on a good show. I rather regret not heading up to Yorkshire for a third and final time this year, proper conditions for rallying!

Rather how much better it is to not run the same stage configurations year after year.

HKSjbg
7th November 2022, 21:14
Rather how much better it is to not run the same stage configurations year after year.

This year pretty much the same stages were run as in ‘21; different order & Gale Rigg was slightly shorter and in the opposite direction this year. Otherwise no big alterations to the overall configurations…

https://www.rally-maps.com/Malton-Forest-Rally-2021

https://www.rally-maps.com/Malton-Forest-Rally-2022

the sniper
7th November 2022, 21:24
This year pretty much the same stages were run as in ‘21; different order & Gale Rigg was slightly shorter and in the opposite direction this year. Otherwise no big alterations to the overall configurations…

The corner shown hadn't be run that way since 2017, I believe. One of the few bits that was unfamiliar and half of them went off... :D

HKSjbg
8th November 2022, 08:09
Yes I suppose running in the opposite direction makes it as different as the Riponian or Trackrod configuration :D

Sal yet again
8th November 2022, 09:33
I know that corner really well and unless I find anywhere else I prefer want my ashes scattering there after I pass! Lots of great viewing there and a scrape with that ditch aswell, going uphill though!

It does sharpen quite quickly and was obviously very slimy on Sunday as wasnt used by the Trackrod as they havent been up that bit of stage for quite a while now. The Riponian used it uphill and then veered off at the top to go downhill to loop round back into the woods.

The videos Ive seen reminded me of one of those Finnish crash films with so many cars off and someone with a tow rope. If its used next year everyone and their gran will be there.

hutchie
8th November 2022, 10:21
I know that corner really well and unless I find anywhere else I prefer want my ashes scattering there after I pass! Lots of great viewing there and a scrape with that ditch aswell, going uphill though!

It does sharpen quite quickly and was obviously very slimy on Sunday as wasnt used by the Trackrod as they havent been up that bit of stage for quite a while now. The Riponian used it uphill and then veered off at the top to go downhill to loop round back into the woods.

The videos Ive seen reminded me of one of those Finnish crash films with so many cars off and someone with a tow rope. If its used next year everyone and their gran will be there.

I know from watching an onboard it sounded like the note providers had cautioned the corner plenty so wasn't as if crews were unaware of the hazard going into it. I suspect if ran same direction next year there could still be plenty of drama there.

Reminds me of a corner in Hamsterley Forest where despite being a very long walk spectators with tow ropes gathered. Because if running downhill it would always catch people out.

Sal yet again
10th November 2022, 10:47
Seen a few court with the ditch on the downhill in the past but when I walked back up the hill after the Trackrod the surface seemed a bit different to I remember it so maybe on the day that played a part.

HKSjbg
24th November 2022, 17:03
Grizedale Stages coming up in just over a week:

https://www.rally-maps.com/Coppermines-Grizedale-Stages-Rally-2022

Interesting to see that the longer loop of Grizedale East is being used, but with a shorter end to the stage than had been used in the past. I’m hoping it becomes available for use for the MW next March too!

Sal yet again
24th November 2022, 19:01
Good looking entry with plenty of Irish Polo R5s

Sal yet again
25th November 2022, 14:05
https://www.rallies.info/webentry/2022/winter/entries.php?type=s

Swift Signs Winter Stages at Croft circuit on Sunday and a quality entry for the return to the venue

Sal yet again
1st December 2022, 17:50
https://killarneyanddistrictmotorclub.ie/rentokil-initial-killarney-historic-rally/

Killarney Historic this weekend featuring Craig Breen in his ex Meagher Sierra Cosworth

Fast Eddie WRC
1st January 2023, 12:19
Found some action of the above on BT Sport...
https://www.bt.com/sport/watch/video/catch-up/2022/december/irish-rally-review-killarney-historic-rally

Great action and some impressive drone and 360degree onboard shots.

HKSjbg
8th February 2023, 15:15
Rally North Wales itinerary:

https://www.ewrc-results.com/timetable/80124-get-jerky-rally-north-wales-2023/

Start and finish in Welshpool as we know, Dyfnant takes the crews out to the Dyfi complex with service still in Dolgellau and Dyfnant again at the end of the day

Fast Eddie WRC
9th February 2023, 09:43
Rally North Wales itinerary:

https://www.ewrc-results.com/timetable/80124-get-jerky-rally-north-wales-2023/

Start and finish in Welshpool as we know, Dyfnant takes the crews out to the Dyfi complex with service still in Dolgellau and Dyfnant again at the end of the day

You are in the 2022 Thread...

HKSjbg
9th February 2023, 10:57
Oh balls! The spam that appeared in this thread yesterday threw me off :D