PDA

View Full Version : 2021 - Race 13 Dutch Grand Prix (Zandvoort)

F1nKS
30th August 2021, 20:34
This will be a redo of the start to the 2nd half of the season. Let see if it goes any better than it did last weekend.

Never seen a race here, so I know nothing of what to expect.

N. Jones
31st August 2021, 22:03
Same. I am curious if the weather is as bad here as at Spa.

Steve Boyd
31st August 2021, 23:53

It's on the beach not in the mountains, so less rain

but fog can blow in off the sea . . . . .

F1nKS
1st September 2021, 03:34
Wouldn't that be wild if it was a 2 lap race due to fog...:D

airshifter
1st September 2021, 14:33

....with Mazepin, Giovinazzi, and Latifi on the podium because they were the only ones to get a banker lap in before the fog made the track too wet in Q3. :laugh:

I've already been robbed of my favorite race on the calendar..... I might be missing from the forums for a while if that happened!

I just hope we get a legit race, and I hope I'm wrong but I'm expecting that it will really be decided in qually for the most part. It doesn't look like there is much for passing opportunities, but I hope to be proven wrong. Strategy races and the under/overcuts add some interest, but without some action on track they get boring IMHO.

truefan72
2nd September 2021, 16:41
This track really looks like aweful IMO.
I'm not sure how F1 cars would go around here, et alone race each other,
At best it is a motogp track, but then again with the banking etc. it would be too dangerous for the bikes.
I expect a boring race.
The F1 demo lap with the GT car looked terrible.
A lot of slow corners, squirt and break and only a short straight that at the end doesn't provide for a proper overtake opportunity.

We shall see, but I'm not optimistic

Nitrodaze
2nd September 2021, 17:24

Zandvoort is typically very windy, being literally on the beach. Hence it would be very cool which may suit both Mercedes and Redbull. But the wind may be where differences in performance may show from. Also being a twisty track, it most likely would suit the Redbull better than the Mercedes. This is one track where l think Mclaren may be able to spring a surprise win. I think Norris would go well here.

Nitrodaze
2nd September 2021, 17:28
This track really looks like aweful IMO.
I'm not sure how F1 cars would go around here, et alone race each other,
At best it is a motogp track, but then again with the banking etc. it would be too dangerous for the bikes.
I expect a boring race.
The F1 demo lap with the GT car looked terrible.
A lot of slow corners, squirt and break and only a short straight that at the end doesn't provide for a proper overtake opportunity.

We shall see, but I'm not optimistic

It is certainly not a great track by F1 standards but it somehow got unto the calendar. So here we are.

Nitrodaze
2nd September 2021, 17:29

Wouldn't be wild if the teams fit headlamps on the cars to race those two laps.

airshifter
2nd September 2021, 17:54
This explains the wins by Max....

Lewis is a closet fan and gets conflicted during some races. :D

I guess we will find out soon, but I sure hope this track has some passing opportunities that aren't obvious from looking at the layout.

F1nKS
2nd September 2021, 20:39
Wouldn't be wild if the teams fit headlamps on the cars to race those two laps.

And then in 20 years, you will be able to tell your grandchildren why F1 cars have fog lamps....Well Timmy, let me tell you the story, in the year 2021.....

truefan72
3rd September 2021, 10:26
35+ minutes to remove the Aston Martin???
Ridiculous. Another failure by Masi and the stewards
This is shambolic

truefan72
3rd September 2021, 13:17
classy Dutch fans. cheering loudly when Hamilton's engine craps out in FP2
SMH

Fortitude
3rd September 2021, 15:43
FORMULA 1 HEINEKEN DUTCH GRAND PRIX 2021 - PRACTICE 1
03 05 Sep 2021 Circuit Zandvoort, Zandvoort

https://www.formula1.com/en/results.html/2021/races/1075/netherlands/practice-1.html

FORMULA 1 HEINEKEN DUTCH GRAND PRIX 2021 - PRACTICE 2

https://www.formula1.com/en/results.html/2021/races/1075/netherlands/practice-2.html

airshifter
4th September 2021, 00:55
There have been some differing lines used in practice, but it still doesn't look to me like there will really be any passing opportunities on track. UNLESS someone makes a mistake.

It doesn't look like a very forgiving track, and just a tire wrong could put someone off balance. Getting it wrong on several corners would probably end up taking people out of the race. There doesn't seem to be much breathing room for drivers either, the short straight is gone quickly and the long one the only time to really relax for a few seconds.... maybe. Drivers have reported that it is a fairly physical track to drive on. With the short lap, the leaders will be lapping the back markers fairly quickly as well, and it's not going to be an easy track for drivers to move over much.

With Lewis having the engine problem, he will have to rely on the data from Bottas for the long run/heavy fuel portions. But Bottas ran a fairly well rounded P2, so hopefully that will help the team.

I still think this race will be one of qually and strategy.... unless people get wiley when they are passing the back markers.

Sulland
4th September 2021, 09:01
Kubica in, Iceman out for Corona.

Nitrodaze
4th September 2021, 10:51
There have been some differing lines used in practice, but it still doesn't look to me like there will really be any passing opportunities on track. UNLESS someone makes a mistake.

It doesn't look like a very forgiving track, and just a tire wrong could put someone off balance. Getting it wrong on several corners would probably end up taking people out of the race. There doesn't seem to be much breathing room for drivers either, the short straight is gone quickly and the long one the only time to really relax for a few seconds.... maybe. Drivers have reported that it is a fairly physical track to drive on. With the short lap, the leaders will be lapping the back markers fairly quickly as well, and it's not going to be an easy track for drivers to move over much.

With Lewis having the engine problem, he will have to rely on the data from Bottas for the long run/heavy fuel portions. But Bottas ran a fairly well rounded P2, so hopefully that will help the team.

I still think this race will be one of qually and strategy.... unless people get wiley when they are passing the back markers.

It is a very narrow track, mostly amco barriers around it. Qualifying well here is paramount as it would be mostly a procession race. You should not expect great racing from this track. The F1 cars are too wide for that to occur. The junior formulas would be interesting here though.

Nitrodaze
4th September 2021, 10:54
Kubica in, Iceman out for Corona.

I would have thought Alfa would seek to improve relations with one of their junior drivers. Like giving Schumacher a chance in the car if Haas would allow it.

The Black Knight
4th September 2021, 12:59
Kubica's back - guaranteed red flag so then

joe1888cfc
4th September 2021, 13:04
Cmon maximus

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

F1nKS
4th September 2021, 13:27
Sergio Perez out in Q3. Good try Sergio. You will get them next time.

joe1888cfc
4th September 2021, 13:27
Sergio Perez out in Q3. Good try Sergio. You will get them next time.He's useless

joe1888cfc
4th September 2021, 13:36
Red bull messed up not taking gasly back

joe1888cfc
4th September 2021, 13:39
Mr Saturday loel

joe1888cfc
4th September 2021, 13:41
Rediculous red flag

F1nKS
4th September 2021, 14:01
Red bull messed up not taking gasly back

Perez is signed for Red Bull, doesn't necessarily mean he will be in a Red Bull.

Nitrodaze
4th September 2021, 14:33
Perez is signed for Red Bull, doesn't necessarily mean he will be in a Red Bull.

Gasly is making a good statement for a return to the senior seat.

joe1888cfc
4th September 2021, 14:39
Perez is signed for Red Bull, doesn't necessarily mean he will be in a Red Bull.Signed after 1 good race last season. Gasly has been far more consistent

F1nKS
4th September 2021, 15:01
Perez out in Q1
Norris out in Q2
Vettel out in Q1

Hamilton almost took poll

Gasly P4
Ferrari boys had a good showing at P5/P6
GIO at 7 :) must be feeling the heat of the rumors

joe1888cfc
4th September 2021, 15:03
Surprising how close Hamilton got to pole.

The Black Knight
4th September 2021, 15:26
Surprising how close Hamilton got to pole.

Pole was there for him with yesterday's setback I reckon.

Fortitude
4th September 2021, 16:20
FORMULA 1 HEINEKEN DUTCH GRAND PRIX 2021 - PRACTICE 3

https://www.formula1.com/en/results.html/2021/races/1075/netherlands/practice-3.html

FORMULA 1 HEINEKEN DUTCH GRAND PRIX 2021 - QUALIFYING

https://www.formula1.com/en/results.html/2021/races/1075/netherlands/qualifying.html

Verstappen delights home fans after edging out Hamilton to take thrilling Dutch GP pole
04 September 2021

Sixty-five thousand fans were on their feet and euphoric as they watched their home hero Max Verstappen fend off title rival Lewis Hamilton to snatch pole position for the returning Dutch Grand Prix.

Verstappen looked in control throughout qualifying and cruised through the opening two segments with what appeared to be plenty left in the tank. And he unleashed that pace when it mattered to take provisional pole – and improved again on his second run leading to an eruption in the grandstands.

Hamilton improved on his final lap – finding two tenths on Verstappen in the final sector – but it wasn’t quite enough as he leapfrogged Mercedes team mate Valtteri Bottas, 0.038s adrift from Dutchman Verstappen who took his sixth pole position in seven Grands Prix.

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/article.verstappen-delights-home-fans-after-edging-out-hamilton-to-take-thrilling.5PkkJk7sp68Y64u27l6Eff.html

joe1888cfc
4th September 2021, 22:45
Anyone else notice max didn't use DRS in his pole lap. Coulthard flagged it on ch4

F1nKS
5th September 2021, 00:13
Anyone else notice max didn't use DRS in his pole lap. Coulthard flagged it on ch4

It was broken for him. So when you consider him beating Lewis without DRS, his drive this weekend was even more impressive.

It will be interesting to see if Hamilton does another win or bust drive like at the British GP? If Max is ahead on the first lap, I think he will blow Mercedes away where even strategy won't help them.

F1nKS
5th September 2021, 04:45
Perez with his less than inspired qualifying, decided to just go ahead and take a new power unit, so he will be starting at the back of the grid.

airshifter
5th September 2021, 04:58
Perez with his less than inspired qualifying, decided to just go ahead and take a new power unit, so he will be starting at the back of the grid.

I just saw that. Good thinking by RB, and probably no better time to take it. It seems surprising what even the top teams take so much risk on being last on track when things get tight like that, but they still do it.

As for tomorrow, I expect it to be a Monaco. Plenty to lose with mistakes, otherwise mostly a procession and a game of strategy. I hope I'm wrong, but I don't see much on track action taking place.

The Black Knight
5th September 2021, 06:45

It was only the DRS zone on the start finish straight. He lost about a tenth. Real gap should have been approximately 0.138. I think if Hamilton had perfected his lines through turns 1, 2 and 3 he would have got pole even had Verstappen's wing opened up. Pole position was there for both cars.

joe1888cfc
5th September 2021, 07:10
It was broken for him. So when you consider him beating Lewis without DRS, his drive this weekend was even more impressive.

It will be interesting to see if Hamilton does another win or bust drive like at the British GP? If Max is ahead on the first lap, I think he will blow Mercedes away where even strategy won't help them.

Very impressive.
Looking forward to it

Nitrodaze
5th September 2021, 12:12
This race is about turn one and strategies thereafter. All eyes are on turn one between Hamilton and Verstappen. The Redbull usually gets off the line better than the Mercedes, but the Mercedes has the grunt to catch up to the Redbull before they reach turn one. From there on, it could be Silverstone all over again. If that happens, Hamilton would need a swift exit from the Netherlands after the race.

F1nKS
5th September 2021, 13:03
I suspect Gasly has been told split Mercedes on the start or bust.

joe1888cfc
5th September 2021, 14:59
Shows you how much of a wet wipe bottas is. Knowing his team is getting rid of you, going purple on the first 2 sectors and then backing out of the third sector to let Lewis get it.
An absolute sad sack of a guy.
Enjoy showing off your 3rd place trophies you absolute doormat.

Fortitude
5th September 2021, 15:38
FORMULA 1 HEINEKEN DUTCH GRAND PRIX 2021 - RACE RESULT

https://www.formula1.com/en/results.html/2021/races/1075/netherlands/race-result.html

Verstappen sends home fans wild with victory over Hamilton in the Dutch Grand Prix
05 September 2021

Max Verstappen has moved back to the head of the drivers’ standings, after winning the Dutch Grand Prix at Zandvoort over title rival Lewis Hamilton, sending his home fans into ecstasy, as the second Mercedes of Valtteri Bottas completed the podium.

In the first Dutch Grand Prix since 1985, Verstappen led away from pole, keeping Hamilton at bay throughout the 72-lap encounter around the sweeping Zandvoort track, to bring home his seventh win of the season, as Hamilton had to settle for second, the seven-time champion stopping with two laps to go for softs.

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/article.verstappen-sends-home-fans-wild-with-victory-over-hamilton-in-the-dutch.5x4cEJF9B4DaIz2H6dVQrd.html

DRIVER OF THE DAY: Perez's pit-lane-to-P8 charge at Zandvoort gets your vote
05 September 2021

Even in a Red Bull, scoring points after starting from the pit lane is a tough ask, especially when passing is as hard as it is at Zandvoort. But Sergio Perez delivered – and you duly recognised his fighting drive to eighth place in the Dutch Grand Prix. Here’s how the voting broke down…

Sergio Perez - 27.7%
Max Verstappen - 19.4%
Lewis Hamilton - 8.5%
Pierre Gasly - 8%
Robert Kubica - 7.8%

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/article.driver-of-the-day-perezs-pit-lane-to-p8-charge-at-zandvoort-gets-your-vote.4fvcB3yRJAIXOqvLjmcgDH.html

N. Jones
5th September 2021, 18:01
What a cool race.
George can qualify but can't do much after that.

Nitrodaze
5th September 2021, 18:06
What a cool race.
George can qualify but can't do much after that.

They have made the track wider which really made the racing better than anticipated. I think it has properly earned its place on the calendar.

The Black Knight
5th September 2021, 18:20
I was nicely surprised by that race. It is actually a very cool track. You know when you can see the elevation changes on TV that it is mighty and it really looks absolutely amazing to drive.

I think the only chance Mercedes had of winning this race was had Lewis passed Max into turn 1 or when Lewis was 0.8 seconds behind Max at one point they should have pitted Lewis for a fresh set of hard tires then. Other than that the day was always going to belong to Max and he deserves it.

As for Bottas. 30 seconds behind Lewis, almost half a second a lap slower is well and truly shocking. Toto made the right choice signing George.

F1nKS
5th September 2021, 19:32
Shows you how much of a wet wipe bottas is. Knowing his team is getting rid of you, going purple on the first 2 sectors and then backing out of the third sector to let Lewis get it.
An absolute sad sack of a guy.
Enjoy showing off your 3rd place trophies you absolute doormat.

I don't condemn him for that. You have to put the team needs before yourself. I would expect Perez do the same things if he is ever up in the top 3.

The Black Knight
5th September 2021, 20:11
I don't condemn him for that. You have to put the team needs before yourself. I would expect Perez do the same things if he is ever up in the top 3.

Plus he's in the middle of contract negotiations with Alpha, most likely to be the teams leading driver, so he really had to show he is a team player and show he can be counted when called on.

gm99
5th September 2021, 20:14
After all the incidents in practice and qualifying, I was quite surprised not to see a safety car in the race, which turned out to be better than expected. Both Verstappen and Hamilton drove really well, as did Gasly.

joe1888cfc
5th September 2021, 20:52
What a cool race.
George can qualify but can't do much after that.Mr Saturday

F1nKS
5th September 2021, 22:05
After all the incidents in practice and qualifying, I was quite surprised not to see a safety car in the race, which turned out to be better than expected. Both Verstappen and Hamilton drove really well, as did Gasly.

It really was a flawless drive by those 3. Alonso had a nice drive also.

My friend who is a big Hamilton/Mercedes fan was begging for safety car. We were laying bets if there would be a safety car by the end of the race - we both thought there would be.

There was almost 2 for sure - the one where vettel did a Mazespin and almost took out Bottas. Not sure how Vettel kept it out of the wall there. The 2nd was when Perez was passing Norris and there was contact. Either one easily could have been a big wreck.

airshifter
5th September 2021, 23:25
This was not the race I really expected.

Up front, Max and RB were mighty. Even playing two vs one Merc and Lewis couldn't find a weakness to exploit, but they sure tried. I guess the Bottas stop was to make sure he also had fresh tires just in case Max stopped, or managed a fast lap on the old tires. But part of me wonders if Merc thought they could convince RB to pit and fight for that point, hoping something went wrong in the pits. Either way, it played out well for Merc and they got the point.

I'm fairly shocked that we didn't see a safety car or red flag during this race, as I would have bet on it happening. I think they closest we got was the Vettel spin and the chance of collecting Bottas.

I was also shocked at the ability to overtake. I thought Perez would get slowed down much sooner, and there were be fewer chances to pass even the slower cars. As it turned out, passes can be made, they just aren't long straight DRS easy passes. And that's a good thing in my book.... some of the tracks reward the cars with more power, even when the handling isn't great.

Some of the camera angles sucked, and I think they could do better. But having more cameras at elevation they could often get a view of several corners, and watch as the fights unfolded.

Similar to Monaco in expecting contact/offs/mistakes to cost the drivers, but at least they could pass on track. The banked corners are wild to watch, and especially the lines in turn 3.

Well done by Gasly, both reds, and the Alpines as well. Some fairly clean racing up there. Perez drove well once the qually snafu killed their weekend, but too little too late to help the team really. I guess Ocon is feeling bold after a win, but it seems Alonso showed him the 6/10ths as the tires aged. :)

So Max takes the WDC lead by just a few points, while Merc still leads the WCC by a dozen or so. Seems like a tight race on both counts.

zako85
8th September 2021, 14:11
Усыпительная гонка была.