PDA

View Full Version : 2021 Race 12 - Belgian GP - Spa Francorchamps

Nitrodaze
21st August 2021, 09:41
https://www.grandprix247.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/02/spa-francorchamps-aerial-photo.jpg

The 2021 season recommences after a three weeks summer break from a controversy riddled first half of the season, which has seen a 33 points lead of Max Verstappen translate into an 8 point lead for seven times world champion Lewis Hamilton. Redbull also finds itself 12 points adrift from Petronas Mercedes. The three weeks break was a welcomed hiatus for all, teams, drivers and fans alike, as we recover from the tensions of the first half of the season. While Redbull would have spent the break licking their wounds from a very costly last two races where their cars suffered heavy damages, they also would most certainly be regrouping for a focused attack to recover lost grounds.

The poor strategy of Mercedes Hungarian GP, gave Hamilton a difficult race to salvage enough points to get into the lead of the championship. An effort that noticeably debilitated the champ. Hence, the three weeks break is said to be timely for Hamilton. But can Mercedes sustain the edge they seemed to have over Redbull in the last two races?

Mercedes has won most of the races here since the inception of the hybrid era; four race wins, with Ferrari winning two and Redbull one. Lewis Hamilton and Kimi Raikkonen are jointly the most successful drivers to win this race on the current grid, with four wins each at this circuit. The Red Baron Michael Schumacher remains the most successful driver of all time to race this circuit; with six wins. Closely followed by Ayton Senna with five wins.

The battle of the ages returns next weekend, as the pretender to the throne takes on the current King of F1. Both drivers have drawn blood from each other. And the youngster has come of the last skirmish bitter with the disappointment of losing the lead of the championship. This battle is set to light up the rest of the season, as the now-bitter fight courses it's way through the second half of the season.

The outcome of the Spa Francorchamps race would provide a hint as to how this second half is likely to end. But we have said that for many races before and seen events unfold to the contrary. Nonetheless, we should expect to see the championship lead swing back and forth over the next six races at least, with the combined team and driver consistency likely to produce the likely winner of this hard-fought season.

Can Verstappen retake the lead of the drivers championship at this race? Can Hamilton consolidate his lead?

F1nKS
21st August 2021, 22:28
It will be nice to get back racing. Should be a lot of news breaking next week.

F1nKS
24th August 2021, 22:00
There is a rumor that one of the four Red Bull drivers have tested positive for COVID and will be out. No solid source, but F1 twitter was going a little whacky over it earlier today. Imagine if this had legs this story would have broken at some media outlet by now.

Alex Albon would be the filling the one filling in, but word is Christian Horner has loaned him out to Canadian authorities to help in the investigation of Toto.

The Black Knight
25th August 2021, 07:48
there is a rumor that one of the four red bull drivers have tested positive for covid and will be out. No solid source, but f1 twitter was going a little whacky over it earlier today. Imagine if this had legs this story would have broken at some media outlet by now.

Alex albon would be the filling the one filling in, but word is christian horner has loaned him out to canadian authorities to help in the investigation of toto.

lol

rentspel
25th August 2021, 10:10
It will be nice to get back racing. Should be a lot of news breaking next week.

I agree!

airshifter
27th August 2021, 13:04
Practice 1, damp and some rain at the end

Valtteri BOTTAS Mercedes
1:45.199

Max VERSTAPPEN Red Bull Racing
+0.164s

Pierre GASLY AlphaTauri
+0.500s

Charles LECLERC Ferrari
+0.619s

Carlos SAINZ Ferrari
+0.736s

Lewis was balked on his fast run and so way down. Perez in 6th place. It seemed Lewis and Max went for more downforce, while Perez and Bottas went with less wing. With conditions expected to be better for Sunday, it's hard to say (as always at Spa) who will end up with the right setup.

Sir Lewis dressed for the occasion?

airshifter
27th August 2021, 15:12
FP2, really tight at the top.

Max sets fast time then crashes out of the session.

Max VERSTAPPEN Red Bull Racing
1:44.472

Valtteri BOTTAS Mercedes
+0.041s

Lewis HAMILTON Mercedes
+0.072s

Fernando ALONSO Alpine
+0.481s

Pierre GASLY AlphaTauri
+0.493s

Nothing in it at the top!

Bagwan
27th August 2021, 16:30
Down here on Conspiracy corner , near Sandbag street , sits the Mercedes , running low downforce in practice with heavy rains predicted .

Fortitude
27th August 2021, 16:49
FORMULA 1 ROLEX BELGIAN GRAND PRIX 2021 - PRACTICE 1
27 29 Aug 2021 Circuit de Spa-Francorchamps, Spa-Francorchamps

https://www.formula1.com/en/results.html/2021/races/1074/belgium/practice-1.html

FORMULA 1 ROLEX BELGIAN GRAND PRIX 2021 - PRACTICE 2

https://www.formula1.com/en/results.html/2021/races/1074/belgium/practice-2.html

F1nKS
27th August 2021, 21:41
Red Bull is in trouble. They already have 2 engine penalties coming at some point. Now with Max crash - who knows what state the car will be in for tomorrow and what penalties they may have to take.

Plus, what I read was Mercedes was on Medium tires for their P2 times and it took Max to be on Soft to get his time.

rentspel
28th August 2021, 09:59
Down here on Conspiracy corner , near Sandbag street , sits the Mercedes , running low downforce in practice with heavy rains predicted .

hehehe :cool:

Nitrodaze
28th August 2021, 10:44
I think Bottas has to win this race if he wants to keep his seat next season. He can if he put his head down and let his speed come out. If he finishes outside the podium, he would lose the momentum for keeping his seat.

truefan72
28th August 2021, 14:13
Big crash for Lando in Q3. Thankfully he is ok. Race control should have red flagged that session. Smh. They delayed Q1 they should have done the same for Q3. This one is on Masi

truefan72
28th August 2021, 14:15
I think Bottas has to win this race if he wants to keep his seat next season. He can if he put his head down and let his speed come out. If he finishes outside the podium, he would lose the momentum for keeping his seat.

He has a 5 place grid penalty so his chances are not looking good for the win…unless strange things occur. Besides he has probably lost that seat already.

truefan72
28th August 2021, 15:00
Well well well. Russell with a stunner. P2 and the mercedes seat methinks!

truefan72
28th August 2021, 15:04
Ricciardo p4
Vettel p5
What a grid!!

Zico
28th August 2021, 15:36
Interesting qualy.
Well if the wet is truly the great leveller, Totto would be a bit of a fool not to go with Russell after that performance.
Shame for Lando but great to see Danny finally get right up there... oh and congrats to Seb too.

airshifter
28th August 2021, 17:29
It's always great to see a session like that, except for Lando having the off. Glad he is ok.

Changing conditions always shake up the field, but that was a fairly crazy qually session. I still don't see why Merc bothered with the full wets at first, but they have had some strange calls all year with strategy and qual as well. It well could have been the way the car is with the tires, and just a preservation strategy. But they used up a lot of tires, and if it's wet tomorrow they could be on the back foot in a big way. Having to go to fresh tires to make Q3 isn't a great sign, but hopefully with the expected drier weather they will be in decent shape to fight on Sunday.

Both Perez and Bottas will have a lot of traffic to deal with, so the tail gunner positions will be tricky. I'm not sure where Bottas lost his time, but I thought it was strange that Perez put himself so close behind Hamilton on his last lap. That seemed way too close to any decent visibility.

I guess we will find out what Lando can do from the back. If the conditions are changing, I suspect he will get up into the points at least, but in the dry that might be tough even for him. Either way, good to see that the car took a lot of that energy.

As for George... just Wow! The Williams team has to be through the roof with excitement over that. And I'll admit, even though I really enjoy the current fight at the top, once I saw that Lewis didn't post a faster time I was almost hoping Max made an error and George got the pole.

ETA: Great to see Vettel and Ricciardo up in the top 5 as well, and a bit surprised to see Ocon do well while Alonso struggled. It goes to show that being a rain master in a certain period might still depend a lot on the car.

Does anyone want to take bets on where George punches a hole for Lewis to let him by? That Williams had a lot of wing on it, so it should provide a good tow. But still, well played by Williams as a way to get the car up near the front. Unless it's wet they will probably drop quickly, but it's still better than starting near the back.

F1nKS
28th August 2021, 19:02
I think Bottas has to win this race if he wants to keep his seat next season.

Toto has already said the decision has already been made. Based on qualifying today I think it clear who they chose. One raced with heart and the other was just there.

Nitrodaze
28th August 2021, 19:38
Toto has already said the decision has already been made. Based on qualifying today I think it clear who they chose. One raced with heart and the other was just there.

I have to agree. Bottas did not do himself any favours here. Qualifying eight when the man gunning for his seat is on the front row in a backmarker car. I think Russell has made the decision to pick him an easier decision certainly. Toto's body language during that Sky interview suggests the deal has already been done anyway if not about to be done.

Nitrodaze
28th August 2021, 19:42
We have a potentially epic race ahead of us tomorrow. As the duel between Hamilton and Verstappen resumes. It is likely to be a wet race, so it is all about who is better prepared for the conditions. Being a wet race, the Williams may well win the race; which would be spectacular.

I think Russell would try to take the lead. How Verstappen responds to the combined attack of Russell and Hamilton would determine who wins this race. Russell has nothing to lose, and Verstappen has more to lose being in the championship fight and eight points adrift. so it would be interesting to see what he does when the Williams fight him for the lead of the race on the first lap. The clever old head on Hamilton would very much understand this situation and would be looking to capitalize on it.

Realistically, we would expect the Williams to fade backwards as the race progresses. Whatever happens, Russell cannot end up taking Hamilton out in the first lap tussle. That would effectively destroy his chance for the coveted Mercedes seat spectacularly.

F1nKS
28th August 2021, 22:38
We have a potentially epic race ahead of us tomorrow. As the duel between Hamilton and Verstappen resumes. It is likely to be a wet race, so it is all about who is better prepared for the conditions. Being a wet race, the Williams may well win the race; which would be spectacular.

I can see this being an epic race. This race seems to be poised to have all kinds of drama. The big question is - wet or dry. Mercedes and Red Bull took two different tactics.

Wet race - advantage Verstappen as they chose to run high down force, but with Hamilton poised to strike if there is any mistake.

Dry race - Hamilton wins. He said in a post interview they were running low down force. It seemed from the practice session they were superior in straight line speed to Verstappen.

F1nKS
29th August 2021, 12:48
Sergio Perez makes a mistake on the way to the grid and loses control and goes into the wall. 3 DNF's in the last 3 races.

truefan72
29th August 2021, 13:28
Sergio Perez makes a mistake on the way to the grid and loses control and goes into the wall. 3 DNF's in the last 3 races.
With all the delays Perez might have gotten back out there but i think time has run out as they are about to start the formation lap. This one is a tough DNF. Gutted for Perez.

truefan72
29th August 2021, 13:32
With all the delays Perez might have gotten back out there but i think time has run out as they are about to start the formation lap. This one is a tough DNF. Gutted for Perez.
Well Masi said that Perrez can’t rejoin even if they wanted. But now they have red flagged the race and start procedures suspended. They really should let Perez back into the race. Oh well. Funny how Verstappen is the only one thinking conditions are fine for racing. Smh

The Black Knight
29th August 2021, 13:52
This is utterly ridiculous. Are these the best drivers in the world or not? Delay after delay after delay. If you are to scared to race, retire the car like a fanny, otherwise get on with it. Fair play to Max, the only one with a pair of goonies. Schumacher and Senna would just cringe looking at these fannies.

truefan72
29th August 2021, 13:55
It is an interesting discussion about Perez I'm not sure why Masi is being an arse about it. Just let him back in FFS. What is the detriment? Ugh FIA never fail to miss an opportunity to endear themselves. That accident was not even a formation lap so this is an easy decision in my book

truefan72
29th August 2021, 13:59
This is utterly ridiculous. Are these the best drivers in the world or not? Delay after delay after delay. If you are to scared to race, retire the car like a fanny, otherwise get on with it. Fair play to Max, the only one with a pair of goonies. Schumacher and Senna would just cringe looking at these fannies.
Nope Schumacher and Senna would have both had the same opinion if they started anywhere but P1. Plenty of races and qualy were delayed in their era. This has nothing to do with bravery. It is simply unsafe. Yes as a fan it is frustrating but I’m not here to watch death race.

The Black Knight
29th August 2021, 14:08
Absolute nonsense. Plenty of races in Spa were held back in the day where there were worse conditions then this 1998, 1997 come to mind straight away, all of them in conditions much worse than this. Spain 96 much worse than this. This is just pathetic nonsense. Safety gone mad. F1 is a dangerous sport, if as a driver you can't deal with it, go play Golf.

F1nKS
29th August 2021, 14:21
Perez back in the race - Pit lane start of course. I still don't like the rule of being able to repair cars under a red flag.

truefan72
29th August 2021, 14:45
Masi is really messing up here with his lack of clarity in terms of the laps remaining etc.
It is a bit embarrassing to be honest.

truefan72
29th August 2021, 14:52
Absolute nonsense. Plenty of races in Spa were held back in the day where there were worse conditions then this 1998, 1997 come to mind straight away, all of them in conditions much worse than this. Spain 96 much worse than this. This is just pathetic nonsense. Safety gone mad. F1 is a dangerous sport, if as a driver you can't deal with it, go play Golf.

Actually 1997 and 1998 were lighter rain than this. This is a proper downpour and not light rain etc.
Also, just because they did it in the past doesn't mean they should do it now.
Like I said, this is an F1 race we want to see, and not a death race.
The rain today is worse than it was at the start of Q3 and we saw what happened.
TBH I'm really tired of this "they are gladiators" mentality. There is a difference between being brave and being stupid.
Next time you are on the highway and this much rain comes down that you can't see the car or truck 5 meters in front of you, I would like to see you keep gunning it at full speed.
And your car probably maxes out at 120mph, and you have wiper bladed and a windshield.
I'm not here for a demolition derby. My inconvenience at the lack of racing is minor compared to the safety of the drivers and marshals.

truefan72
29th August 2021, 15:02

also, do you remember Spa 1998?
is that what you want to see? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o02s_g5AUUE

And this is Spa 1997 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QEhPHPvXfLY
The rain eased and it was only a wet track that then slowly dried with the sun peaking through after a few laps.
Spain 1996 was pretty bad and probably should have been delayed a bit longer. Yes MSC was supreme, but there were plenty of incidents up and down the grid.

Fortitude
29th August 2021, 15:11
FORMULA 1 ROLEX BELGIAN GRAND PRIX 2021 - PRACTICE 3

https://www.formula1.com/en/results.html/2021/races/1074/belgium/practice-3.html

FORMULA 1 ROLEX BELGIAN GRAND PRIX 2021 - QUALIFYING

https://www.formula1.com/en/results.html/2021/races/1074/belgium/qualifying.html

Belgian GP delayed start due to adverse weather
Spa, Belgium by Frank Parker
29th August 2021

Belgian Grand Prix – The Belgian GP start has been delayed due to the continual rain affecting the circuit.
Heavy rain has blighted the weekends’ running with the start being delayed by 25 minutes. The formation lap went underway at 15:25 local time, but the race was immediately red flagged and all drivers returned to the pitlane.
The start procedure hasn’t been completed yet which means the two hour countdown rule has not yet begun (the rules state that races should not run longer than two hours). The stewards will need to assess the situation with more rain on the way and light conditions will only begin to deteriorate.

https://formulaspy.com/f1/belgian-gp-delayed-start-due-to-adverse-weather-76089

F1 Belgian GP red-flagged after formation lap behind Safety Car
F1 Lewis Larkam
29 Aug 2021

The 2021 Formula 1 Belgian Grand Prix has been red-flagged due to heavy rain and poor visibility after a formation lap behind the Safety Car.
With the Spa-Francorchamps circuit blanketed by mist and consistent heavy rain, the race start was initially delayed by 25 minutes before the field was eventually led away from the grid behind the Safety Car.
After one full formation lap, the red flag was brought out following a number of complaints from the drivers, with race control announcing the start procedure had been suspended.

https://www.crash.net/f1/news/986230/1/f1-belgian-gp-redflagged-after-formation-lap-behind-safety-car

The Black Knight
29th August 2021, 15:18
If a big bang happens like Spa 98 then it happens. It's up to the drivers to judge the conditions and that is why they are the best drivers in the world. Racing is dangerous, if they can't race in conditions like these then they should not be on F1.

I actually wouldn't blame the fans for storming the pit lane and wrecking the place. Maybe that's what needs to happen to wake these bunch of fannies up and stop this safety gone mad bullshit once and for all.They pay to come see racing not to see a bunch of overpaid prima donna's piss themselves in the pit lane over a little rain.

truefan72
29th August 2021, 15:40
If a big bang happens like Spa 98 then it happens. It's up to the drivers to judge the conditions and that is why they are the best drivers in the world. Racing is dangerous, if they can't race in conditions like these then they should not be on F1.

I actually wouldn't blame the fans for storming the pit lane and wrecking the place. Maybe that's what needs to happen to wake these bunch of fannies up and stop this safety gone mad bullshit once and for all.They pay to come see racing not to see a bunch of overpaid prima donna's piss themselves in the pit lane over a little rain.

ok TBK i see a reasonable discussion is not gonna happen,.
Not even gonna mention how Davidson just explained how different the tires are today and that these wets would be useless in that amount of rain.
Oh well.
I've said my piece. And can't go along with your bloodlust or calls for insurrection on the parts of fans. SMH
I'll leave you to your thoughts

denkimi
29th August 2021, 16:04
Ridiculous. They should just stop the sport and all start driving simulators, that way there is no more danger to anyone.

That's what you get when you let woke pussy's decide how an inherently dangerous sport should be run.

The Black Knight
29th August 2021, 16:04
I heard what Davidson said. It's irrelevant and probably the root cause of why he never made it in F1. It's not the fans fault that Pirelli wet weather tires are shite. If they can't take F1 pace, then the drivers should drive slower - simple as. The fans should storm the pitlane and wreck the place. This is the most pathetic display I have ever seen in F1. Formula Fanny.

gm99
29th August 2021, 16:30
They waited three hours for this charade?

And Masi doesn't even have the balls to call the race - as if anybody believed this was going to be restarted.

joe1888cfc
29th August 2021, 16:49
Get in there max! Great performance

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

truefan72
29th August 2021, 16:51
They waited three hours for this charade?

And Masi doesn't even have the balls to call the race - as if anybody believed this was going to be restarted.

That I agree with. Masi has not been good at all.
They should have called it early and rescheduled for tomorrow.
(although tomorrow is an 82% chance of rain)

Well they called it now!
oh well.

At least it is only half points.
But Russell gets a podium and 9 solid points.
they all did the job on Saturday, so at the end of the day.
it is a fair result. A big shame, but it is what it is.
Nobody died, or got injured. and that is the bigger takeaway for me.
I can go ahead with my day now.

Cheers

Sulland
29th August 2021, 17:06
They should have postponed todays race until tomorrow ot tuesday.
Zandtwort is just down the road, so no big deal.

But to run it today would be stupid, drivers are not in it to take riska like these.
40 years ago maybe, but humanity have gotten smarter since then.

Fortitude
29th August 2021, 17:09
Max Verstappen 'Wins' 2021 Belgian Grand Prix, The Shortest Race In F1 History
After hours of waiting, race stewards finally called the race due to weather.
By Elizabeth Blackstock

After completing just under nine miles of racing, none of which were under the green flag, Max Verstappen was crowned ‘winner’ of the 2021 Belgian Grand Prix — the shortest race in all of Formula One history.

With a saturated race track, the Belgian Grand Prix chaos started well before the formation lap. Lewis Hamilton reported there was no grip during his warm-up lap, and Red Bull Racing’s Sergio Perez hit the wall hard. There was no recovering the damage, and he would not start the race.

The start was delayed, and it was set to start behind a safety car. It was too wet to continue, though, so the start was postponed. As a result, Red Bull was able to fix Perez’s car and petitioned to rejoin the new start of the race. The FIA said no, since the race had started, but Red Bull argued that the race hadn’t actually started, so they should be able to compete.

Race director Michael Masi later ruled that the race had technically started at 3:00 PM local time, so the clock had been ticking down before cars even took a full lap. Only one hour and 45 minutes remained on the clock at the time of Masi’s ruling, as F1 maintains that races must take place within a three-hour time slot.. The FIA also ruled that Perez could start from pit lane, should he get repaired.

https://jalopnik.com/max-verstappen-wins-2021-belgian-grand-prix-the-shorte-1847580213

Verstappen wins farcical two-lap Belgian GP for half points
by Fergal Walsh

Max Verstappen has been classified as the winner of Formula 1’s 2021 Belgian Grand Prix, which was delayed, before only two laps were run behind the safety car.
Half points were awarded, as less than 75% of the race was completed.
With no green flag action taking place, George Russell was classified in second place, taking Williams’ first podium finish since the 2017 Azerbaijan Grand Prix.

https://www.motorsportweek.com/2021/08/29/verstappen-takes-victory-at-suspended-belgian-gp/

Vote for your 2021 Belgian Grand Prix Driver of the Weekend
2021 Belgian Grand Prix
Posted on
29th August 2021, 17:54 | Written by Keith Collantine

Which Formula 1 driver made the most of the Belgian Grand Prix weekend?
It’s time to give your verdict on which driver did the best with the equipment at their disposal over the last three days.
Review how each driver got on below and vote for who impressed you the most at Spa-Francorchamps.

https://www.racefans.net/2021/08/29/vote-for-your-2021-belgian-grand-prix-driver-of-the-weekend/

Bagwan
29th August 2021, 17:46
It's really too bad we no longer have Nikki Lauda around to give his opinion on a moment like this .

They were cheap points , and there will no doubt be much debate about whether going out again in even worse conditions only to get a result was wise from a safety respect , or even fair play to begin with .

It was an ugly day at a circuit already dealing with a dark cloud in recent days .
Having multi-millionaire Lewis saying the fans should get their money back won't help at all unless he's prepared to chip in .

And , I don't think having the race tomorrow was ever really a viable option for a myriad of reasons , not least of which will be that there will likely still be people trying to yank their cars out of the muddy parking areas for most of tomorrow .

The only real consolation for many at the race was the fact that Max won .
If it were not for that , TBK's riot might have occurred .
Perhaps that was the real reason for making sure to get the 2 laps required for the classification .

Nitrodaze
29th August 2021, 18:18
What a farce?

This is the most disgraceful decision in F1 history. This is confirmation Michael Masi is a disaster in the role of racing director.

The Black Knight
29th August 2021, 19:11
What a farce?

This is the most disgraceful decision in F1 history. This is confirmation Michael Masi is a disaster in the role of racing director.

And then you have woke retards like Crofty that don't have the guts to call it like it is. Those Sky broadcasters boil my piss more than anything. That's one of the reasons I liked Eddie Jordan, he at least says it as he sees it even if most of us wouldn't agree with him on a lot. Were I at Spa I would be looking to get my money back or at minimum a ticket for next years event. And the FIA should cover the cost. I don't see why the circuit organisers should lose out because F1 is now filled with pussy's.

Nitrodaze
29th August 2021, 20:40
And then you have woke retards like Crofty that don't have the guts to call it like it is. Those Sky broadcasters boil my piss more than anything. That's one of the reasons I liked Eddie Jordan, he at least says it as he sees it even if most of us wouldn't agree with him on a lot. Were I at Spa I would be looking to get my money back or at minimum a ticket for next years event. And the FIA should cover the cost. I don't see why the circuit organisers should lose out because F1 is now filled with pussy's.

He is killing the F1 show. As for Sky, they are inconsistent at best. They sometimes forget they are sporting journalists.

Nitrodaze
29th August 2021, 20:47
Masi is really messing up here with his lack of clarity in terms of the laps remaining etc.
It is a bit embarrassing to be honest.

The fool has just pissed on the driver's championship at one of the most revered F1 circuits. He has no clue about his responsibilities to the fans, drivers and teams. The rule used to be that 50% of the race is completed for half-point otherwise it was rescheduled. We need a seance to ask Charlie Whiting what to do in these circumstances. This Masi fellow is a f*cking joke.

Nitrodaze
29th August 2021, 20:49
That I agree with. Masi has not been good at all.
They should have called it early and rescheduled for tomorrow.
(although tomorrow is an 82% chance of rain)

Well they called it now!
oh well.

At least it is only half points.
But Russell gets a podium and 9 solid points.
they all did the job on Saturday, so at the end of the day.
it is a fair result. A big shame, but it is what it is.
Nobody died, or got injured. and that is the bigger takeaway for me.
I can go ahead with my day now.

Cheers

Nah, it was not a fair result. The points are for wheel to wheel racing to earn the points. These points were not earned, they were given away like merchandise. Though l am happy for Williams and Russell.

Zico
29th August 2021, 21:20
I'm fine with them not racing due to the rain but I cant believe they robbed the GP visiting fans by declaring a result with reduced points and not even racing. It should have been cancelled, rescheduled for a later date and tickets declared still valid for the new date.

Its obviously not such a huge deal sitting at home here but I'd have been absolutely livid if I'd spent all that money going there only for a complete farce and not even the promise of a partial refund effectively robbing them, what a way to treat a loyal fanbase.

Spa is by far my favourite GP in the calendar and it was on my bucket list to go one day, I'll 100% be scrubbing it off after that. Disgraceful is putting it mildly.

gm99
29th August 2021, 21:22
The rule used to be that 50% of the race is completed for half-point otherwise it was rescheduled.

When would that have been? Because of the previous five races where half points were awarded, three ran for less than 50 % (Spain 1975: 29/75 laps; Monaco 1984: 31/77 laps; Australia 1991: 14/81 laps).

I agree though that the threshold for awarding points needs to be higher than just two laps, at least 25 or 30 % of the race distance.

F1nKS
29th August 2021, 21:32

Russell doesn't seem to care.

Fortitude
29th August 2021, 21:36
FORMULA 1 ROLEX BELGIAN GRAND PRIX 2021 - RACE RESULT

https://www.formula1.com/en/results.html/2021/races/1074/belgium/race-result.html

Formula 1
‘WORST SINCE INDY ’05’ – OUR VERDICT ON A BIZARRE BELGIAN GP

The shortest race in Formula 1 history featured no racing laps and just three slow laps behind the safety car as Max Verstappen was the victor of a controversial rain-soaked 2021 Belgian Grand Prix.
He along with the rest of the top 10 were awarded half points for completing such a short distance – over three hours after the initial race start time.
From the stewards using unprecedented measures to never-ending weather updates to the awarding of half points for little work, our writers give their verdict on a Belgian GP that’s unlikely to be forgotten anytime soon.

https://the-race.com/formula-1/worst-since-indy-05-our-verdict-on-a-bizarre-belgian-gp/

“A farce” - Lewis Hamilton leads F1 drivers' criticism of Belgian GP ‘race’
F1 Lewis Larkam
29 Aug 2021

Lewis Hamilton has led criticism at Formula 1’s decision to restart the Belgian Grand Prix for two laps under the Safety Car, calling the situation a “farce”.

Following more than three hours of delays amid heavy rain and poor visibility, the race resumed with the Safety Car leading the field around for two laps before the red flag came out for the second and final time.

Ensuring two laps were completed meant F1 could officially declare a result and award half-points, an outcome several drivers questioned.

https://www.crash.net/f1/feature/986286/1/farce-hamilton-leads-f1-drivers-criticism-belgian-gp-race

WET, WET, WET Spa GP red flagged after three laps
AUGUST 29, 2021 in Motorsport

Max Verstappen scored his first Belgian Grand Prix victory after the race at the Spa-Francorchamps was red flagged after just three laps behind the safety car due to heavy rain that had delayed the race start for more than three hours. Williams’ George Russell took the first podium finish of his career with second place, while3 Lewis Hamilton finished third for Mercedes.

https://www.racecar.com/news/94569/motorsport/wet-wet-wet-spa-gp-red-flagged-after-three-laps

BELGIAN GP: LEWIS HAMILTON CLAIMS 'MONEY TALKS' AFTER TWO LAPS BEFORE FINAL RED FLAG
Hamilton claims only reason two laps were completed after near-three-hour delay was because that fulfils requirement for a 'race' and half points; FIA and F1 defend decisions and say a potential break in the weather was identified before conditions worsened again
By James Galloway
29/08/21 8:30pm

https://www.skysports.com/f1/news/24181/12394837/belgian-gp-lewis-hamilton-claims-money-talks-after-two-laps-before-final-red-flag

F1 races where half points were awarded
Ewan Gale
Sunday 29 August 2021 21:00

With the Belgian Grand Prix completing just two laps to confirm a classification, F1 handed out half-points for just the sixth time in its 71-year history.
Torrential rainfall throughout the day at Spa-Francorchamps ensured the race never fully got underway, even with force majeure cited by the FIA to allow for more time.

https://www.gpfans.com/en/f1-news/69063/f1-races-where-half-points-were-awarded/

‘MONEY TALKS’ – LEWIS HAMILTON SAYS F1 MADE ‘BAD CHOICE’ AT BELGIAN GRAND PRIX
Hamilton’s title rival Max Verstappen was proclaimed as the winner of the shortest race in the sport’s 71-year history.
Philip Duncan

Lewis Hamilton has accused Formula One’s rulers of putting money first following Sunday’s farcical Belgian Grand Prix which lasted only two laps.
Max Verstappen was proclaimed as the winner of the shortest race in the sport’s 71-year history. George Russell took second, with Hamilton third after the 12th round at a rain-soaked Spa-Francorchamps circuit was finally abandoned following three hours and 44 embarrassing minutes.
Hamilton’s championship advantage over Verstappen has been reduced from eight to three points.

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/motor-racing/formula1/lewis-hamilton-max-verstappen-anthoine-hubert-fia-spafrancorchamps-b1910807.html

FIA EXPLAINS WHY BELGIAN GP COULDN’T BE POSTPONED UNTIL MONDAY
Hamilton Lyndon-Griffiths

Formula 1 race director Michael Masi says there was a “whole range” of reasons why it couldn’t consider moving the rain-soaked Belgian Grand Prix to Monday.
The race start was delayed by 25 minutes due to a period of heavy rain leading up to lights out, before a series of formation laps were completed behind the safety car until it was deemed too unsafe to begin the event.
It resulted in a lengthy red flag stoppage as conditions didn’t improve, with drivers waiting for almost three hours before the rain had eased to get back out on track behind the safety car.
After two laps the race was red-flagged for a second time, which satisfied the regulations that require at least two completed laps for a race classification to be made official.
The FIA ultimately called off the race, meaning the result was taken after just one lap, making it the shortest-ever grand prix in F1 history – beating the 14-lap Australian Grand Prix in 1991.

https://readmotorsport.com/2021/08/29/fia-explains-why-belgian-gp-couldnt-be-postponed-until-monday/

‘MONEY TALKS’: LEWIS HAMILTON SAYS F1 MADE ‘BAD CHOICE’ AT BELGIAN GRAND PRIX
Max Verstappen was proclaimed as the winner of the shortest race in the sport’s 71-year history
Sun, 29 Aug, 2021 - 21:33
Philip Duncan

Lewis Hamilton has accused Formula One’s rulers of putting money first following Sunday’s farcical Belgian Grand Prix which lasted only two laps.
Max Verstappen was proclaimed as the winner of the shortest race in the sport’s 71-year history. George Russell took second, with Hamilton third after the 12th round at a rain-soaked Spa-Francorchamps circuit was finally abandoned following three hours and 44 embarrassing minutes.
Hamilton’s championship advantage over Verstappen has been reduced from eight to three points.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/othersport/arid-40369136.html

WHY THE F1 BELGIAN GRAND PRIX WAS THE MOST ABSURD RACE IN FORMULA 1 HISTORY
Max Verstappen's win at Spa shattered record for shortest race ever in Formula 1
BY PHILLIP HORTON
Aug 29, 2021

Three minutes and 27 seconds. That was all it took for Max Verstappen to register victory at Formula 1’s Belgian Grand Prix on Sunday at Spa-Francorchamps.
But in reality it was a absurd afternoon as torrential rain battered the Circuit de Spa-Francorchamps in the Ardennes Forest, making it the shortest Formula 1 race in history, and the only one to feature no green flag laps.
The classification was taken after two laps, which were completed over three hours after the scheduled start time, as the relentless heavy rain and mist made visibility unsafe for racing in a region that was recently affected by devastating flooding.

https://www.autoweek.com/racing/formula-1/a37424782/f1-belgian-grand-prix-most-absurd-race/

LEWIS HAMILTON CALLS BELGIAN GP 'A FARCE', SAYS FANS DESERVE REFUND
Reuters and ESPN

Lewis Hamilton said Belgian Grand Prix fans should get their money back after they waited hours in the cold and wet without seeing a competitive lap in the shortest race in Formula One history.

The wet race at Spa-Francorchamps was abandoned after the field, circulating behind the safety car, completed the two laps necessary for half-points to be awarded.

"Money talks and the two laps to start the race is all a money scenario," seven times world champion Hamilton, who finished third for Mercedes, told Sky Sports after the podium ceremonies.

https://www.espn.co.uk/f1/story/_/id/32108937/lewis-hamilton-calls-belgian-gp-farce-says-fans-deserve-refund

Formula 1
F1/FIA INSIST MONEY NOT A FACTOR IN BELGIAN GP RUNNING
Aug 29 2021
By Scott Mitchell & Edd Straw

Formula 1 boss Stefano Domenicali and FIA race director Michael Masi insist there was no commercial influence on how the controversial Belgian Grand Prix was handled.

Only three laps were completed – all behind the safety car – and half points were awarded on a miserable day at Spa that featured over three hours’ worth of red flags in total and a significant amount of waiting around.

At one stage the race was “temporarily” stopped by the stewards in an unprecedented move “on the grounds of force majeure”, extending the limit to get the race done beyond 6pm local time – but it did not result in any green-flag racing.

All that materialised was a brief ‘race restart’ in which the field completed the required number of laps behind the safety car to allow points to be awarded, which some – including championship leader Lewis Hamilton – suggested was motivated by the desire to produce an official race result to satisfy contracts with both the promoter and the television broadcasters.

https://the-race.com/formula-1/f1-fia-insist-money-not-a-factor-in-belgian-gp-running/

Fortitude
29th August 2021, 21:37
Hamilton ramps up Belgian GP criticism by describing non-event a "farce"
Sam Hall
Sunday 29 August 2021 20:35

Lewis Hamilton has stepped up his criticism of the Belgian Grand Prix washout by labelling the non-event a "farce".
Hamilton, who was classified third, has not held back in sharing his thoughts as to what unfolded at the Spa Francorchamps circuit as only two laps were completed, with both behind the safety car.

https://www.gpfans.com/en/f1-news/69064/hamilton-ramps-up-belgian-gp-criticism-by-describing-non-event-a-farce/

Formula 1
WHY ONE-LAP BELGIAN GP RESULT DIDN’T STOP POINTS BEING AWARDED
By Scott Mitchell

The FIA believes it is correct that half points were awarded at the Belgian Grand Prix despite the official classification being taken from the end of the first lap.

The controversial Belgian GP had been red-flagged for almost three hours, with no laps completed, when the field was sent out behind the safety car.

After they started their third lap behind the safety car the race was red-flagged again and race leader Max Verstappen led the field into the pitlane and crossed the control line, which counted as a third lap completed.

By this definition, Article 6.5 of the sporting regulations had been satisfied, as that requires “more than two laps” to be completed in order to have 50% points awarded.

https://the-race.com/formula-1/why-one-lap-belgian-gp-result-didnt-stop-points-being-awarded/

Firstgear
29th August 2021, 23:35
[QUOTE=gm99;
I agree though that the threshold for awarding points needs to be higher than just two laps, at least 25 or 30 % of the race distance.[/QUOTE]
...and it needs to be X laps racing, not just a parade behind the safety car.

truefan72
30th August 2021, 00:41
When would that have been? Because of the previous five races where half points were awarded, three ran for less than 50 % (Spain 1975: 29/75 laps; Monaco 1984: 31/77 laps; Australia 1991: 14/81 laps).

I agree though that the threshold for awarding points needs to be higher than just two laps, at least 25 or 30 % of the race distance.

yeah, i think so too. in retrospect

zako85
30th August 2021, 01:34
What a race. Kept me on the edge the whole time.

The Black Knight
30th August 2021, 08:30
What annoys me most about yesterday is the way they all hide behind the safety card when the simple truth is that, excepting Max who wanted to race, they are all just a bunch of overpaid cowards that don't deserve their seat in F1. I hope Max wins the championship now. Lewis didn't want to step foot in his car yesterday the coward, then had the temerity to virtue signal about fans getting their money back afterwards. He has gone too comfortable and insufferably woke over the last couple of years. He doesn't deserve to be champion.

denkimi
30th August 2021, 08:59
On a positive note, this precedent could help them a lot in saving money. No more wet tyres, no more wet setups, no more wet testing.

I wonder how f1 will look in 10 years time. Probably all driving a simulator, not going faster than 130km/h as to not set a bad example.

Zico
30th August 2021, 10:49
What annoys me most about yesterday is the way they all hide behind the safety card when the simple truth is that, excepting Max who wanted to race, they are all just a bunch of overpaid cowards that don't deserve their seat in F1. I hope Max wins the championship now. Lewis didn't want to step foot in his car yesterday the coward, then had the temerity to virtue signal about fans getting their money back afterwards. He has gone too comfortable and insufferably woke over the last couple of years. He doesn't deserve to be champion.

Thats probably a bit harsh, I suspect Lewis would have been up for racing if he was on pole.
Massive difference in visibility being out in front in these conditions.

The Black Knight
30th August 2021, 11:06
Thats probably a bit harsh, I suspect Lewis would have been up for racing if he was on pole.
Massive difference in visibility being out in front in these conditions.

He should have been up for racing regardless of his position. If he's too scared go slower. The best drivers in the world should be able to judge the speed the car can go to stay on track. The idea that it was too wet to race is nonsense. They can slow down and not go as fast. In fact, that's one of the great skills of wet weather racing, striking that balance. These cars are a million times safer than 20 years ago, there is no excuse for them not to race yesterday. Absolutely none.

Nitrodaze
30th August 2021, 11:27

Russell doesn't seem to care.

Why should he. He was gifted 2nd place and a heap of points. I would be jumping with joy in his position.

Nitrodaze
30th August 2021, 11:29

Well l agree, 25% to 30% would be a respectable threshold to earn any sort of points. The championship has been distorted by this result and the fans have been robbed of a race. It was very shoddy prudence from the F1 management.

Nitrodaze
30th August 2021, 11:33
On a positive note, this precedent could help them a lot in saving money. No more wet tyres, no more wet setups, no more wet testing.

I wonder how f1 will look in 10 years time. Probably all driving a simulator, not going faster than 130km/h as to not set a bad example.

Exactly, they would be awarding points for the slightest oddity that happens at a race in the future now. No need to race, just dish out the points and let's go home.

Nitrodaze
30th August 2021, 11:36
He should have been up for racing regardless of his position. If he's too scared go slower. The best drivers in the world should be able to judge the speed the car can go to stay on track. The idea that it was too wet to race is nonsense. They can slow down and not go as fast. In fact, that's one of the great skills of wet weather racing, striking that balance. These cars are a million times safer than 20 years ago, there is no excuse for them not to race yesterday. Absolutely none.

I didn't think it was safe to race. After all, we do not want someone to get killed. But it is fair to note that Verstappen was pumped ready to race regardless of the conditions. Especially after surviving the brutal crash at Silverstone. That is Dutch bravery for you.

The older wiser drivers were very clear about how they felt about the situation. Vettel was livid after Norris crashed.

denkimi
30th August 2021, 13:56
I didn't think it was safe to race. After all, we do not want someone to get killed.
These were not monsoon conditions like we have seen in japan in the past, this was just continuous medium rain.
If this wasn't safe no wet race will ever be safe anymore.

We're on a slippery slope here and going downhill fast, taking a dangerous sport and trying to ban everything that could create any risk.

Zico
30th August 2021, 14:45

Max seemed to have changed his mind afterwards, so Lewis wasn't alone in his feelings.

Verstappen said: "It just didn't feel right. The fans probably won't agree with what happened today but you just have to think about safety at the end.

"When you can't see where you're going and you can't see where the car ahead of you is, you can't race like that."

Bagwan
30th August 2021, 16:26
Blame the engineers for creating so much wake that drivers couldn't see anything .
Don't blame the drivers for not wanting to race completely blind .

Perhaps the next generation of rules , giving more emphasis on ground effects , will produce less foggy wake and allow a driver to actually see his opponent .

Nitrodaze
30th August 2021, 16:28
These were not monsoon conditions like we have seen in japan in the past, this was just continuous medium rain.
If this wasn't safe no wet race will ever be safe anymore.

We're on a slippery slope here and going downhill fast, taking a dangerous sport and trying to ban everything that could create any risk.

If it was any other track, l would agree with you. If you have ever driven around Spa, you would have a completely different perspective. The steep downhill elevations with corners on them or at the end of them are the danger. Hard racing under those conditions and in continuous rain is a recipe for disaster.

And we would be the ones heavily criticizing F1 for racing in those conditions if someone gets killed in the race.

F1nKS
30th August 2021, 20:30
Why should he. He was gifted 2nd place and a heap of points. I would be jumping with joy in his position.

Williams were the big winners - huge haul of points that pretty much cements them into 8th place.

truefan72
30th August 2021, 21:24
If it was any other track, l would agree with you. If you have ever driven around Spa, you would have a completely different perspective. The steep downhill elevations with corners on them or at the end of them are the danger. Hard racing under those conditions and in continuous rain is a recipe for disaster.

And we would be the ones heavily criticizing F1 for racing in those conditions if someone gets killed in the race.

and we all know what happened the last time they tried to race in very wet conditions in Japan. which has less elevation than Spa.

airshifter
31st August 2021, 04:38
Apparently there are already some type of talks being considered to discuss the rules as they currently stand.

https://www.skysports.com/f1/news/12433/12395238/belgian-gp-f1-fia-and-teams-to-discuss-rule-changes-after-race-without-racing-at-rain-drenched-spa

Good to see.

As for the non race, I think it was smart not to run it myself. Visibility was way down and the drivers wouldn't be able to see much of anything. We don't need a crash fest, especially with the current budget restrictions.

As for the rule as it is, stupid IMHO. Granted qualification is work for the teams and drivers, and should be worth something. But that could be written into a new rule that breaks things down better. Make qually worth XX% - only if the race is called off. Make the race a race only if they race without the pace car leading them and can change positions. Up to say 50% race distance, make it worth partial points that are more than qually points. Beyond 75% make it full race points.

As for the rain and delays, there are much better ways to deal with things. If they think there is a valid chance to race, they have to get the cars on track to clear some water. Fuji 2007 the cars did 19-20 laps behind the safety car, then went racing. Better for the spectators to see at least cars on track, and they cleared enough water to race. These days we could do even better, since we have the VSC option. Run the safety car a few laps, run VSC laps at speeds higher than the safety car but reasonable for conditions, and then if things clear enough go racing. They could let the cars bunch back up for a rolling start on the last VSC lap.

Changing the current full wets would help also. Back when tire wars existed they could almost race in typhoons, now not so much.

With all the tech and money in F1 they could easily figure out a fairly precise way to gauge rain intensity, and make guidelines from there are to when the race is a no go, a maybe, or a go. Leave some room for safety crew input, differing conditions around the track (drainage, fog, etc), the medical helicopter flight abilities, and anything else needed to make a safe and reasonably consistent decision when these things happen.

Spa is usually my favorite race of the season. I'm bummed that it couldn't happen this year, and that the current rules suck. But those rules have been in place for many years, and they suck because they have never been tested in this way. With what was learned this year, they should be changed IMHO.

As for this time, I'm glad nobody was forced to decide whether or not to have a demolition derby with F1 cars. Only the guy in the very front said for a period he thought it was ok to race, and he had the most advantage to gain if they raced. But as a whole, I trust all the drivers, especially considering there were 14 years worth of WDC titles that thought it wasn't safe to race. I'm not thrilled with the current rule on points, but the rule is what it is for now. And at least everyone had the same chance on Saturday to determine where they started, so it's not as if anyone was really just "handed" points.

airshifter
22nd December 2021, 15:44
This is a pathetic attempt at compensation.

https://www.gpblog.com/en/news/101904/spectators-of-cancelled-belgian-gp-do-not-get-their-money-back.html

gm99
22nd December 2021, 16:12
This is a pathetic attempt at compensation.

https://www.gpblog.com/en/news/101904/spectators-of-cancelled-belgian-gp-do-not-get-their-money-back.html

Indeed. And what kind of message does offering F1TV access send to the spectators - "Next time, just stay at home and watch the race on TV rather than go to the circuit"?

Bagwan
23rd December 2021, 11:51
Indeed. And what kind of message does offering F1TV access send to the spectators - "Next time, just stay at home and watch the race on TV rather than go to the circuit"?

At present , it's safer to stay home .

Bagwan
22nd January 2022, 17:58
Now , while blaming the tires might seem like the thing to do , it was the visibility issue that really put paid to that race .

But , we may have less issue this year , if I understand correctly , as much more of the wake will stay tighter and higher behind the leading car .
Cars were not only having trouble with the wake directly behind , but also with the wake beside the leader , making it doubly difficult to pass .

Whereas before , travelling too close lost you 50% of your downforce , it's been stated that you may only lose 15% in the same situation this year .

I'm hoping , though I know it's a big ask , that it's so effective that it negates the need for DRS .

I'm trying to be positive here , as that finale left me a bit disappointed in my favourite sport .

airshifter
22nd January 2022, 22:32
I hope you are right about the wakes and visibility Bagwan. I think they had a chance to run at Spa but blew it really. Even with the new cars I think they need to run some laps at higher speed to get rid of the water, then maybe just go with a rolling start.

BUT.... these days they play it safe most of the time.

Bagwan
23rd January 2022, 18:15
I hope I'm right , too , Shifter .

I know it's a long-shot on the DRS thing , but as it sounds , they were looking at the width of the wake being as being as much of an issue as the rear low pressure area , so I'm cautiously optimistic about it .

F1 has been in an accidentally ironic age for a long time now , with teams designing cars to produce an un-drivable wake , and , at the same time , complaining so incessantly that it resulted in the invention of the dopey idea that is DRS .

I won't pretend to say I understand fully , but as I read it , the wake will be higher and thinner , and that sounds like it could help with visibility in the rain .
If I'm right , with much more of the downforce created by the underside of the car , it may create more suction and possibly clean the track faster when they do run at speed .
Couple that with the higher , thinner wake potentially blowing off easier and we may have a winner in heavier weather .

Remember , I'm trying to feel good about this coming season .
I know my glasses are seeming a little rosy , but a guy can dream .