PDA

View Full Version : 2021 Race 11 - Hungary

F1nKS
21st July 2021, 00:09
Last race before the summer break. The standing have divided themselves into four groups

Group 1: RB & Mercedes
Group 2: Ferrari & Mclaren
Group 3: Alpha Tauri, Aston Martin, Renault
Group 4: Sauber, Williams and Haas Boys

Stories of this race is of course the eager anticipation the next round of Max vs. Lewis. What GB grandprix showed was the RB car is faster than Mercedes, and Hungary should favor RB even more - so I don't foresee any drama.

Bottas/Perez - will either one be a race car driver this weekend?

Ferrari was surprising good last weekend and seems to be in a upward trajectory. So the Mclaren/Ferrari battle should be interesting to watch.

Will Russell be announced before summer break or after? Can he finally get Williams a point?

F1nKS
21st July 2021, 00:11
Bottas/Perez - will either one be a race car driver this weekend?

A Mercedes message to Bottas has been intercepted

Your mission, Valtteri, should you choose/decide to accept it, ...

As always, should you be caught by the Stewards, Toto Wolf will disavow any knowledge of your actions. This tape/disc will self-destruct in five seconds. Good luck, Valtteri

joe1888cfc
22nd July 2021, 11:59
Who will finish higher.
Lando or Perez?

F1nKS
22nd July 2021, 21:36
Who will finish higher.
Lando or Perez?

If I was going to be forced to bet on one of the other - I would go with Lando. Perez should be higher, but you can't depend on him. Lando has been very dependable all season.

joe1888cfc
22nd July 2021, 21:42
If I was going to be forced to bet on one of the other - I would go with Lando. Perez should be higher, but you can't depend on him. Lando has been very dependable all season.It's for my F1 fantasy team turbo driver

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

Nitrodaze
23rd July 2021, 15:38
I have to say, l am looking forward to Verstappen's return to the track at the Hungaroring. I would expect a bounce back with pole and possibly a win. But the Mercedes looks like it will be closer at that race as well. So some Hamilton vs Verstappen duel seem on the card once more. I hope it is a cleaner fight. As we head into the summer break after this race.

Mercedes say they are not bringing anymore major upgrades to this year's car after Silverstone. I wonder what Redbull is doing? All attention is now fully on next years car at Mercedes. If Redbull wants to win this season's championship, l suspect they would be bringing more upgrades to put the Redbull firmly ahead of the Mercedes.

F1nKS
23rd July 2021, 16:38
I have never bought into the argument that Mercedes is way behind. Mercedes has faster straight line speed, Red Bull is faster in the corners. Who is faster on any track is depended on how many long straights there are versus corners. The first half of the season suited Red Bull a little more. Not sure who the second half suits, but we know that Mercerdes/Hamilton usually ramp it up a notch after the break.

On the subject of upgrades. I don't really believe what any teams are saying as it is probably misinformation. The people doing new design versus modifications are different people anyway.

Another factor is the cost cap - the limitation for upgrades may not be engineering throughput, but they are hampered by the cost cap. With Mercedes and RB both having cars that had significant damage - this might be forcing them to choose where to spend money.

F1nKS
29th July 2021, 01:48
Red Bull will be using Max #2 power unit (that was salvaged from his car last race) in the first practice session. They will use the data from this practice session to assess whether the unit suffered any damage.

F1nKS
29th July 2021, 17:58
The Red Bull appeal failed - which shouldn't be a surprise.

Hamilton was asked to compare his action against Verstappen and Charles Leclerc. Hamilton refused.

"I can certainly explain it, but I'm not going to," he said.

"I've been racing for over 20 years," Hamilton continued. "I know how to navigate through corners and do overtaking manoeuvres and so I'm not going to waste my energy explaining it. But it will certainly be difficult for people to fully understand."

F1nKS
29th July 2021, 20:15
The Red Bull appeal failed - which shouldn't be a surprise.

Hamilton was asked to compare his action against Verstappen and Charles Leclerc. Hamilton refused.

I believe the context of the question is related to video now showing up that compare Verstappen/Leclerc/Hamilton runs at Cobbs.

You see that Verstappen and Leclerc took almost the exact same line. Hamilton took two different lines. Link to video below.

https://youtu.be/xGgpdb2WhRE

Fortitude
30th July 2021, 16:14
FORMULA 1 ROLEX MAGYAR NAGYDÍJ 2021 - PRACTICE 1

https://www.formula1.com/en/results.html/2021/races/1073/hungary/practice-1.html

FORMULA 1 ROLEX MAGYAR NAGYDÍJ 2021 - PRACTICE 2

https://www.formula1.com/en/results.html/2021/races/1073/hungary/practice-2.html

Nitrodaze
31st July 2021, 09:43
I believe the context of the question is related to video now showing up that compare Verstappen/Leclerc/Hamilton runs at Cobbs.

You see that Verstappen and Leclerc took almost the exact same line. Hamilton took two different lines. Link to video below.

https://youtu.be/xGgpdb2WhRE

Are you blind or something? Leclerc was almost on the racing line and far to the left which allowed Hamilton to take a line through the centre of the track which of course allowed him to have a better line into the apex of the corner. Verstappen on the other hand, occupied the centre of the track, forcing Hamilton to the rightmost extremities of the track, thus compromising his line into the corner. Which made it impossible for him to take a line over the inner kerbs but a wider line to maintain his speed through the corner.

The lines of Leclerc and Verstappen could not be more dissimilar. One was an aggressive defence heading into the corner [Verstappen], the other a cautious counterattack manoeuvre [Leclerc].

truefan72
31st July 2021, 13:41
Oh my Sainz!

truefan72
31st July 2021, 13:45
Also it may be time to start worrying about Ricciardo. This beginning to look a bit concerning now for mclaren. Lets see what the rest of Q2 offers. 🤷🏻*♂️

truefan72
31st July 2021, 14:18
Lol. RBR only have themselves to blame. Nobody had to wait that long to go out and certainly the mercedes has no obligation to give the rbr a slipstream

truefan72
31st July 2021, 14:24
Oh I thought only the british fans are disrespectful lol. Clearly the dutch fans with their booing is respectful right? Lol

Nitrodaze
31st July 2021, 14:36
Oh I thought only the british fans are disrespectful lol. Clearly the dutch tans with their booing is respectful right? Lol

Haha hehe

Nitrodaze
31st July 2021, 14:37
I bet Baggie is going to come on here soon, wagging his finger going "l told you Mercedes was faking it".

The Black Knight
31st July 2021, 14:37
I love seeing Butthurt Dutch fans Boo'ing. They can all log onto F1.com tomorrow and vote Max for DOTD to ease their pain.

Some games there by Lewis at the end. No harm after RBR's behaviour over the last two weeks. Horner has a very different tone in his interview. Reckon the FIA could have told him to reign in his attitude.

Fully expected RBR to get pole today so was a nice surprise to see such a strong qualifying.

Norris is very quickly becoming one of my favourite drivers.

Fortitude
31st July 2021, 15:18
FORMULA 1 ROLEX MAGYAR NAGYDÍJ 2021 - PRACTICE 3

https://www.formula1.com/en/results.html/2021/races/1073/hungary/practice-3.html

FORMULA 1 ROLEX MAGYAR NAGYDÍJ 2021 - QUALIFYING

https://www.formula1.com/en/results.html/2021/races/1073/hungary/qualifying.html

F1nKS
31st July 2021, 15:47
Are you blind or something? Leclerc was almost on the racing line and far to the left which allowed Hamilton to take a line through the centre of the track which of course allowed him to have a better line into the apex of the corner. Verstappen on the other hand,.

Evidently you didn't watch the video or you are blind.

Verstappen and Leclerc car are exactly the same, only hamilton took 2 different lines.

F1nKS
31st July 2021, 16:01
I love seeing Butthurt Dutch fans Boo'ing. They can all log onto F1.com tomorrow and vote Max for DOTD to ease their pain.

Hamilton acknowledging them was weakness. Now they know they are annoying him.

Some games there by Lewis at the end. No harm after RBR's behaviour over the last two weeks. Horner has a very different tone in his interview. Reckon the FIA could have told him to reign in his attitude.

I think this whole thing was RB playing mind games with Hamilton. And it is evidently working.

Fully expected RBR to get pole today so was a nice surprise to see such a strong qualifying.

It has been pretty evident through all the practice and qualifying sessions that Mercedes was the faster car this weekend.

Personally it looks like Max was struggling out there at times in the practice session. There is no way that Verstappen is fully recovered from the crash yet (regardless of what he says). The summer break is coming just the right time for him.

The problem Red Bull has now is they will have a reliability issue with their #2 engine at some point and it will cause a DNF for Verstappen. I don't care what Honda (and it may be just misinformation) says, parts of the engine were over-stressed.

Yeah, Norris is good dude.

I was sorry to see Russell not get out of Q3 - he is another favorite of mine.

F1nKS
31st July 2021, 16:04
Also it may be time to start worrying about Ricciardo. This beginning to look a bit concerning now for mclaren. Lets see what the rest of Q2 offers. 🤷🏻*♂️

Yeah, I keep thinking we are going to see the real Ricciardo, but maybe this is it.

Nitrodaze
31st July 2021, 18:04
Evidently you didn't watch the video or you are blind.

Verstappen and Leclerc car are exactly the same, only hamilton took 2 different lines.

I shall not bother with a reply.

The Black Knight
31st July 2021, 18:08
Hamilton acknowledging them was weakness. Now they know they are annoying him.

I think this whole thing was RB playing mind games with Hamilton. And it is evidently working.

It has been pretty evident through all the practice and qualifying sessions that Mercedes was the faster car this weekend.

Personally it looks like Max was struggling out there at times in the practice session. There is no way that Verstappen is fully recovered from the crash yet (regardless of what he says). The summer break is coming just the right time for him.

The problem Red Bull has now is they will have a reliability issue with their #2 engine at some point and it will cause a DNF for Verstappen. I don't care what Honda (and it may be just misinformation) says, parts of the engine were over-stressed.

Yeah, Norris is good dude.

I was sorry to see Russell not get out of Q3 - he is another favorite of mine.

Not at all. Acknowledging, accepting and channeling it is a strength. He'll now use it tomorrow. Max's expletive filled response to a reporter's question after the race is a sign of weakness. Now Hamilton knows he has gotten to him.

I was very disappointed for Russell - for once he didn't get the cleanest of laps. The under steer at turn 2 cost him his Q2 position but looks like a Q3 run was not on the cards for him today either way.

Nitrodaze
31st July 2021, 18:19

Norris has been a star this season. He has made Ricciado look very ordinary. I suppose the table has turned, he gets to experience how Vettel felt when he got promoted into the Redbull.

Hamilton is pumped up and raring to go racing tomorrow. I sort of expected the dutch fans to boo this weekend. They are fans of Verstappen firstly then racing comes second.

The Mercedes is looking rapid but l think the Redbull can go faster than we have seen. It is interesting that they left it so late going out for their final run. Hence we did not get to see the true pace of that car on this circuit. Verstappen kept complaining about the front tyres feeling loose. The race shall be fun as they are teed up nicely on the first and second row. Bottas would be expected to do the job of keeping Verstappen behind to allow Hamilton to shoot off into the distance.

We know the Redbull gets off the line from a standstill better than the Mercedes. So there is every chance that Verstappen can romp into the lead from third place. It would be a brilliant start if that were to happen. This scenario would most likely give us a repeat of the Silverstone saga. This is what l am really hoping for.

truefan72
31st July 2021, 18:24
Norris has been a star this season. He has made Ricciado look very ordinary. I suppose the table has turned, he gets to experience how Vettel felt when he got promoted into the Redbull.

Hamilton is pumped up and raring to go racing tomorrow. I sort of expected the dutch fans to boo this weekend. They are fans of Verstappen firstly then racing comes second.

The Mercedes is looking rapid but l think the Redbull can go faster than we have seen. It is interesting that they left it so late going out for their final run. Hence we did not get to see the true pace of that car on this circuit. Verstappen kept complaining about the front tyres feeling loose. The race shall be fun as they are teed up nicely on the first and second row. Bottas would be expected to do the job of keeping Verstappen behind to allow Hamilton to shoot off into the distance.

We know the Redbull gets off the line from a standstill better than the Mercedes. So there is every chance that Verstappen can romp into the lead from third place. It would be a brilliant start if that were to happen. This would most likely give us a repeat of the Silverstone saga.

The race is nicely primed indeed.

F1nKS
31st July 2021, 19:22
I shall not bother with a reply.

Well, what could you say? Call me a smelly pirate hooker?

Tazio
31st July 2021, 19:35
Pip, pip, pip, pip, pip, poop!
:stareup:

F1nKS
31st July 2021, 19:48
The Mercedes is looking rapid but l think the Redbull can go faster than we have seen.

I have seen no data that can lead you to think that Red Bull has faster race pace than Mercedes (beside the fan fear of annoying the weaxf gods). At best they might be even. Unless Hamilton gets a really bad start, it looks like it should be a fairly comfortable win. Even the difference in starting tire probably doesn't make up the difference. Plus, I'm sure Mercedes is telling Bottas that he's not racing Hamilton but Max, so he going to be making himself big.

Max at this point probably is just ready to get a P2 and go on summer break and prod Red Bull to work on some improvements during the break.

The big question will be what does Perez does?

a. Get passed by Gasly?
b. Get passed by Gasly and LNorris?
c. Get passed by Gasly, Norris and Leclerc?
d. Take the fight to Bottas and actually pass him?

Gasly could really make a big statement for the Red Bull seat going into the summer if he manhandles Perez. I didn't think there was any way he could get their but Perez is leaving the door open.

Nitrodaze
1st August 2021, 08:06
I wonder what Redbull mean by saying "It's a bit of gamesmanship"?

Is Redbull up to something in the race?

Zico
1st August 2021, 10:07
I wonder what Redbull mean by saying "It's a bit of gamesmanship"?

Is Redbull up to something in the race?

Yes, they are going to try to win by using Sergio to torpedo both Mercs out the race with a 'stuck throttle' at the first or second corner hence why they deliberately started on the second row.. :stareup:

Nitrodaze
1st August 2021, 10:46
Yes, they are going to try to win by using Sergio to torpedo both Mercs out the race with a 'stuck throttle' at the first or second corner hence why they deliberately started on the second row.. :stareup:

Haha, the Mexican torpedo with a sombrero and a thick mustache. Scary!

denkimi
1st August 2021, 13:09
Bottas has done his job.

truefan72
1st August 2021, 13:11
Bottas has officially ruined the race for half the top 10 smh

gm99
1st August 2021, 13:11
Bottas is such an idiot.

truefan72
1st August 2021, 13:16
On the other hand, the top 10 is very interesting. Strolll another absolute donkey along with Bottas. What an idiot

denkimi
1st August 2021, 13:17
Bottas has officially ruined the race for half the top 10 smh
He did what he had to do. Take out the redbulls.

He didn't miss his braking by 10m, but by 100m. It's like he didn't realised it is wet.

F1nKS
1st August 2021, 13:20
Bottas is such an idiot.

I would have expected this from Maze-spin...on the bright side Russell and Mick S. has a chance to pick up points

Zico
1st August 2021, 13:20

Well, I almost got that right.. just wrong driver/team. :D

F1nKS
1st August 2021, 13:23

You are almost a "sage"...almost!:champion:

Tazio
1st August 2021, 13:24
Dawgz!! :eek:

F1nKS
1st August 2021, 13:25
Stroll.....lol.....stroll....lol. Idiot

truefan72
1st August 2021, 13:26
Lol 15 minutes for restart to pick up denris???Ok Masi giving RBR extra time to try and fix the car. Oddly, if Lamdo is out with body damage how are RBR gonna fix that car. Or does the mclaren have more damage than we saw

F1nKS
1st August 2021, 13:27
Lol 15 minutes for restart to pick up denris???Ok Masi giving RBR extra time to try and fix the car. Oddly, if Lamdo is out with body damage how are RBR gonna fix that car. Or does the mclaren have more damage than we saw

They need to change the Red Flag rules. Only thing you should be able to do is change your tires to wet weather tires, not other fixes, changes or tire changes.

F1nKS
1st August 2021, 13:30
Let do another standing restart, Yuki wants his chance to grab first place (and take out Hamilton)...

The Black Knight
1st August 2021, 13:31
Bottas is an embarrassment, he has to go at the end of the season - could see that coming a mile off. Knew before the lights went red he would make a bad start. No downforce behind Lando and torpedoes him.

Hard luck for Max but he is still in with a shout of winning this.
Wouldn't put it past that clown Ocon to take out Hamilton

F1nKS
1st August 2021, 13:32
And I thought this would be a boring processional race...

F1nKS
1st August 2021, 13:33
Bottas is an embarrassment

Bottas...winning hearts and minds!:D

joe1888cfc
1st August 2021, 13:36
Mercedes should be hammered for this. Two races in a row they've been directly involved in taking out the championship leader.

F1nKS
1st August 2021, 13:37
Wouldn't it be ironic if Latifi is the Williams that gets points.

joe1888cfc
1st August 2021, 13:37
Just noticed George Russell in top ten. Could today be the day!

joe1888cfc
1st August 2021, 13:38
Looks like slicks could be on here for the restart

Zico
1st August 2021, 13:39
What the heck? madness!

truefan72
1st August 2021, 13:39
They need to change the Red Flag rules. Only thing you should be able to do is change your tires to wet weather tires, not other fixes, changes or tire changes.

I don’t mind them being able to change parts. It just seemed odd the length of the res flag for picking ip debris. Perhaps they wanted to wait out the rain or somethinh which they should not be taking into account

F1nKS
1st August 2021, 13:40
Wow, what was Mercedes thinking?

Zico
1st August 2021, 13:41
Oh boy, this is going to be interesting..

denkimi
1st August 2021, 13:41
Wtf.

truefan72
1st August 2021, 13:42
And…. Mercedes blow it.
Unbelievable. I was screaming at the TV for them to pit and they didn't. This is the absolute most stupid strategy in the world. The team is a complete joke in strategy. Utter stupidity

TMorel
1st August 2021, 13:53
If Lewis had pitted, due to being first pit box and having to wait for a gap to a safe release, did they luck into a better position by taking the start on the grid?

truefan72
1st August 2021, 13:55
Smh gasly doing more to defend from hamilton than trying to pass verstappen. Who once again bangs into a car in his pass. Typical

denkimi
1st August 2021, 13:55
If Lewis had pitted, due to being first pit box and having to wait for a gap to a safe release, did they luck into a better position by taking the start on the grid?
Couldn't be worse than now.

F1nKS
1st August 2021, 13:57
Latifi going to make sure Ocon or Vettel wins...holding everybody up

truefan72
1st August 2021, 13:58
Gasly is playing wing man to a slower damaged rbr this is pathetic. Not even looking for the overtake smh

F1nKS
1st August 2021, 13:58
Gasly is playing wing man to a slower damaged rbr this is pathetic. Not even looking for the overtake smh

He knows who signs his pay checks!

truefan72
1st August 2021, 13:59
Meanwhile Latifi is doing an incredible job in p3

truefan72
1st August 2021, 14:00
He knows who signs his pay checks! yup. Sad really

denkimi
1st August 2021, 14:01
It must be hard to watch races when every other driver has no other goals than to hinder your favorite.

Perhaps sports were people don't compete at the same time are more something for you. Athletics or golf or something like that.

F1nKS
1st August 2021, 14:02
Well, another bright side - they finally got their reverse grid race:D

truefan72
1st August 2021, 14:06
Finally the race director shows the top 2 cars. Smh

gm99
1st August 2021, 14:07
Why isn't Aston Martin pitting Vettel to undercut Ocon?

truefan72
1st August 2021, 14:09
Well, another bright side - they finally got their reverse grid race:D

Haha they sure did!

truefan72
1st August 2021, 14:21
Russell finally making the pass on msc. Should have done it like 8 laps ago

truefan72
1st August 2021, 14:31
Funny how gasly duspatched latifi quickly lol

Nitrodaze
1st August 2021, 14:36
What a weird race?

truefan72
1st August 2021, 14:50
I must mention that Rosberg is dynamite as the color commentator.

truefan72
1st August 2021, 14:53
Alonso would be wise to let hamilton go and follow him passed sainz. Seems foolish to defend when p4 is on the cards instead of p5. Alonso being short sighted. Smh

truefan72
1st August 2021, 14:54
All his is doing is letting sainz of the hook. It seems foolish

gm99
1st August 2021, 14:57
Alonso would be wise to let hamilton go and follow him passed sainz. Seems foolish to defend when p4 is on the cards instead of p5. Alonso being short sighted. Smh

I don't think so, as Alpine's goal must be to keep Hamilton away from the leading pair for as long as possible to protect Ocon's lead which seems more important than a P4 for Fernando.

truefan72
1st August 2021, 15:03
Alonso helllbent on blocking hamilton. He has a chance to pass sainz if hamilton gets bye him but he doesn't see the big pucture

truefan72
1st August 2021, 15:06
Complete waste of 6 laps. Alonso wasted his tires defending and now he will probably not pass sainz.

truefan72
1st August 2021, 15:07
Sainz nearly took out hamilton with some terrible defending

gm99
1st August 2021, 15:11
Complete waste of 6 laps. Alonso wasted his tires defending and now he will probably not pass sainz.

If Alonso hadn't held up Hamilton for those six laps, Hamilton would have passed Ocon for the lead...

denkimi
1st August 2021, 15:13
If Alonso hadn't held up Hamilton for those six laps, Hamilton would have passed Ocon for the lead...
Indeed. Alonso is the big hero to alpine here. His defence has stopped lewis from winning.

Nitrodaze
1st August 2021, 15:15

This is racing, Alonso is not paid to get out of the way. Besides, Alonso did Ocon and Alpine a huge favour. If he hadn't delayed Hamilton, Alpine would have lost the race. It looked hard but he was playing the team game.

BRAVO!!!

CONGRATULATIONS TO ESTEBAN OCON

Nitrodaze
1st August 2021, 15:16
I love it when we get a new race winner. It makes F1 so worthwhile.

truefan72
1st August 2021, 15:17
Wow wow wow. Ocon!!!!!
Is that a tear in my eye?
Alonso cost Hamilton the win and p4
It was an unnecessary defense that cost both drivers.
Awesome day for Alpine nonetheless p1&5
Awesome day for Alpha Tauri p6&7
Awesome day for williams p8&9
Lol gasly getting the fastest lap. That was a Helmut Marko call.
A decent recovery for Hamilton.
But the day belongs to Ocon.
It was a special top 10 and a great way to go into the break

Nitrodaze
1st August 2021, 15:20
Wow wow wow. Ocon!!!!!
Is that a tear in my eye?
Alonso cost Hamilton the win and p4
It was an unnecessary defense that cost both drivers.
Awesome day for Alpine nonetheless p1&5
Awesome day for Alpha Tauri p6&7
Awesome day for williams p8&9
Lol gasly getting the fastest lap. That was a Helmut Marko call.
A decent recovery for Hamilton.
But the day belongs to Ocon.
It was a special top 10 and a great way to go into the break

Well said. Finally, Williams have six F1 points on the board. Aston would be very pleased with another brilliant race from Vettel.

I think this race has given Mercedes a peek at what they losing by letting this young brilliant racer go.

gm99
1st August 2021, 15:21
This is racing, Alonso is not paid to get out of the way. Besides, Alonso did Ocon and Alpine a huge favour. If he hadn't delayed Hamilton, Alpine would have lost the race. It looked hard but he was playing the team game.

I wasn't saying anything different, it was just a response to truefan72 who was wondering why Alonso was blocking Hamilton. Alonso did very well IMO.

truefan72
1st August 2021, 15:22
Its funny how you cut off the rest of my post which was that he also cost p4 for himself which was clearly on the cards with a slower sainz. He chose to defend p5 where he could have had p4 easily. It wasn't smart racing. On his part. But with the victory celebrations it now seems clear that his job was to hold up the charging Hamilton for his teammate Ocon and that is fair if that is the case. So kudos to Alonso

truefan72
1st August 2021, 15:26
Pathetic booing by some fans.
It was another blunder by mercedes strategy.
Beyond happy fir Ocon and team Alpine.
Russel also cost himself by not being able to pass MSC. Congrats to Latifi.

Donkeys of the race are Bottas and stroll. Just a bit surprised stroll did not get a penalty too for Spa.

truefan72
1st August 2021, 15:28
Yup. Fair point

Nitrodaze
Its funny how you cut off the rest of my post which was that he also cost p4 for himself which was clearly on the cards with a slower sainz. He chose to defend p5 where he could have had p4 easily. It wasn't smart racing. On his part. But with the victory celebrations it now seems clear that his job was to hold up the charging Hamilton for his teammate Ocon and that is fair if that is the case. So kudos to Alonso

I think Alonso realized that overtaking Sainz would leave him vulnerable to Hamilton in the process of doing the overtake. I could see Hamilton overtaking both of them during the overtake. But the wise old head of Alonso realises that would seriously put Ocon's chances at risk and decided to sacrifice p4 to hold back the faster Hamilton. He probably got a call on the radio about it.

gm99

Alonso didn't choose to defend P5 for him, but P1 for Ocon. Like I said before, that was understandably more important to him and the team. Whether Fernando finishes in 4th or 5th doesn't make that much of a difference.

Nitrodaze
1st August 2021, 15:29
Pathetic booing by some fans.
It was another blunder by mercedes strategy.
Beyond happy fir Ocon and team Alpine.
Russel also cost himself by not being able to pass MSC. Congrats to Latifi.

Donkeys of the race are Bottas and stroll. Just a bit surprised stroll did not get a penalty too for Spa.

Yep, the strategist messed up again. This was a race that was in the bag. Russell had damage and offered the team his position for Latifi who had better pace. It was very mature selfless teamwork from Russell. He earned my respect today.

truefan72
1st August 2021, 15:30
I forgot to congratulate Vettel and Aston Martin. Stellar performance. He has now made himself the clear #1 in the team and if life was fair stroll’s seat would be in jeopardy

Nitrodaze
1st August 2021, 15:34
I forgot to congratulate Vettel and Aston Martin. Stellar performance. He has now made himself the clear #1 in the team and if life was fair stroll’s seat would be in jeopardy

Pigs will fly first l think

truefan72
1st August 2021, 15:34
Ok so stroll now gets a 5 place grid penalty too

truefan72
1st August 2021, 15:36
Yep, the strategist messed up again. This was a race that was in the bag. Russell had damage and offered the team his position for Latifi who had better pace. It was very mature selfless teamwork from Russell. He earned my respect today.

Ok I must have missed that. Well done then by Russell. Great day for Williams.

Nitrodaze
1st August 2021, 15:45
The crap Mercedes strategist left 10 championship points on the table today. What should have been a 20 points lead in the constructors championship is merely 10 points and 6 points in the driver's championship.

Mercedes is ahead, but within touching distance from Redbull. Redbull can easily recover from this setback as Mercedes has failed to fully capitalize on this.

truefan72
1st August 2021, 15:52
The crap Mercedes strategist left 10 championship points on the table today. What should have been a 24 points lead in the constructors championship is merely 14 points and 6 points in the driver's championship.

Mercedes is ahead, but within touching distance from Redbull. Redbull can easily recover from this setback as Mercedes has failed to fully capitalize on this.

Sometimes they try to be too clever for their own good.
like I said, it was clear to me that they should have gone into the pits.
I saw it after turn 3 on the warm up lap. And Toto is wrong.
They did not do the right thing.
If they pitted and everyone else did not, then they would have come out with a clear advantage, if everyone else had to come in after a lap to change over.
So they actually flipped a win-win situation to a loose-loose.

truefan72
1st August 2021, 16:20
The stewards never fail to put a sour note on the events.
Hauling in Ocon and Vettel to their office for useless infractions.
Instead of standing with the LGBTQ community, they are going to side with a bigoted right-wing authority.
Well done FIA. laughable

Fortitude
1st August 2021, 17:04
FORMULA 1 ROLEX MAGYAR NAGYDÍJ 2021 - RACE RESULT

https://www.formula1.com/en/results.html/2021/races/1073/hungary/race-result.html

'What a moment!' - Ocon jubilant after Hungary victory

https://f1i.com/news/414058-what-a-moment-ocon-jubilant-after-hungary-victory.html

France's Esteban Ocon wins Hungarian Grand Prix
Alpine pilot claims maiden F1 victory at Hungaroring Circuit in Budapest
Selcuk Bugra Gokalp | 01.08.2021

https://www.aa.com.tr/en/sports/frances-esteban-ocon-wins-hungarian-grand-prix/2321325

Ocon credits Alonso’s ‘teamwork’ after incredible defending
by Ryan Wood

Hungarian Grand Prix race winner, Esteban Ocon, has credited Alpine team-mate and two-time Formula 1 World Champion Fernando Alonso for his part in the victory, as the Spaniard held off a charging Lewis Hamilton.

https://www.motorsportweek.com/2021/08/01/ocon-credits-alonsos-teamwork-after-incredible-defending/

SEBASTIAN VETTEL
Vettel: A bit disappointed but Ocon didn't make a single mistake
1st August 2021, ‎16‎:‎40
Sebastian Vettel finished an impressive second in a chaotic Hungarian Grand Prix. Despite this surprise result, the German couldn't help but wish for more.

https://racingnews365.com/vettel-a-bit-disappointed-but-ocon-didnt-make-a-single-mistake

Sebastian Vettel "disappointed" with shock P2 finish
01-08-2021 16:18 | Updated: 01-08-2021 16:31
by Louis Shaw

Sebastian Vettel made the most of the bizarre Grand Prix to take a shock P2 at the Hungarian Grand Prix. The Aston Martin did everything he could and in the end was not far off Esteban Ocon which left the German feeling disappointed as the victory was in sight.

https://www.gpblog.com/en/news/90556/sebastian-vettel-disappointed-with-shock-p2-finish.html

Aston Martin to confirm Vettel deal for 2022
ANDREW MAITLAND
AUGUST 1, 2021

https://grandpx.news/aston-martin-to-confirm-vettel-deal-for-2022/

The Black Knight
1st August 2021, 17:38
To be fair, it was braindead what Ocon did after the race. He knows full well he should have gone back to the pits. I am unsurprised, Ocon is not the smartest.

As for Vettel, he knew the procedure and should have removed the t-shirt. He has received a reprimand.

F1nKS
1st August 2021, 17:52
Alonso helllbent on blocking hamilton. He has a chance to pass sainz if hamilton gets bye him but he doesn't see the big pucture

Maybe Alonso doesn't like Hamilton...

F1nKS
1st August 2021, 18:01
The crap Mercedes strategist left 10 championship points on the table today. What should have been a 20 points lead in the constructors championship is merely 10 points and 6 points in the driver's championship.

I wonder if this seals Bottas fate?

Yeah it definitely wasn't a very good effort on Mercedes part today. Hamilton did a remarkable comeback drive after his opening mistake.

Red Bull wasn't to smart on strategy either. They still thought they were racing Hamilton and didn't recognize they were racing the rest of the field until it was to late.

First half of the season was entertaining. Hopefully the 2nd half will be just as entertaining. But Red Bull is in trouble. They will be taking a lot of grid penalties in the future for having to replace different stuff from all the accidents the last 2 weeks.

joe1888cfc
1st August 2021, 18:09

Yeah it definitely wasn't a very good effort on Mercedes part today. Hamilton did a remarkable comeback drive after his opening mistake.

Red Bull wasn't to smart on strategy either. They still thought they were racing Hamilton and didn't recognize they were racing the rest of the field until it was to late.

First half of the season was entertaining. Hopefully the 2nd half will be just as entertaining. But Red Bull is in trouble. They will be taking a lot of grid penalties in the future for having to replace different stuff from all the accidents the last 2 weeks.

Mercedes will be delighted with bottas today, worked perfectly for them.

Big Ben
1st August 2021, 18:10
And…. Mercedes blow it.
Unbelievable. I was screaming at the TV for them to pit and they didn't. This is the absolute most stupid strategy in the world. The team is a complete joke in strategy. Utter stupidity

Do you have any idea how embarrassing you are with these constant fanboy hissy fits?

joe1888cfc
1st August 2021, 18:10

How dare Alonso race for position. Especially against sir Lewis. Totally unfair and disrespectful.

The Black Knight
1st August 2021, 19:29
Nothing wrong with what Alonso did today. He did go to the edge of what was acceptable but I think it was fine. He got his team the win and that was the big picture.

F1nKS
1st August 2021, 19:39
Vettel is under investigation over his fuel. In the past the penalty was disqualification. So Hamilton could move up.

Just need the Stewards to go review the early race footage and find something OCON should be punished for. I'm sure he did something during the crash to cause somebody else to crash or pulled something in the pit lane....then everything will be right with the world with Hamilton taking 1st place.

joe1888cfc
1st August 2021, 19:48
Nothing wrong with what Alonso did today. He did go to the edge of what was acceptable but I think it was fine. He got his team the win and that was the big picture.

I've no doubt Hamilton wouldn't have passed Alonso were it not for his lock up. Alonso had him.

The Black Knight
1st August 2021, 20:20
I've no doubt Hamilton wouldn't have passed Alonso were it not for his lock up. Alonso had him.

I think it took Hamilton a few laps to figure out how to take the last corner to get close down the straight. That's what cost him. It's not relevant now anyway as Hamilton forced his mistake and got 2nd.

Vettel disqualified for failing to provide a fuel sample. Gutted for him and Aston Martin after such a thrilling race.

truefan72
1st August 2021, 20:24
I think it took Hamilton a few laps to figure out how to take the last corner to get close down the straight. That's what cost him. It's not relevant now anyway as Hamilton forced his mistake and got 2nd.

Vettel disqualified for failing to provide a fuel sample. Gutted for him and Aston Martin after such a thrilling race.
That is a shame for Vettel. It really is. I hope it has nothing to do with his protest in any matter.

truefan72
1st August 2021, 20:29
Do you have any idea how embarrassing you are with these constant fanboy hissy fits?
Nothing embarrassing unless you watched a different race than the rest of us or you are only here to throw flames. I guess being on the wrong strategy as literally the rest of the grid and going from P1 to last is brilliance in your book. Don’t be foolish because you have some kinda bias.

The Black Knight
1st August 2021, 21:02
Aston Martin to appeal Vettel's penalty- unlikely they'll be successful but worth a shot.

Congratulations to Sainz on the podium!

Tazio
1st August 2021, 21:09
Congrats to Alpine, and their fans. I really hoped both would get to the podium, but it was not meant to be. Very nice of Ocon to thank 'Zo, without him blocking, Lewis would be quickly gone to the front. Nice in general to see the team spirit, this should be another boost for all of them.
Fettel disqualified........Sorrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr rrrrrrrrrrrrry! :dork:

joe1888cfc
1st August 2021, 21:13
The fix is definitely in for Hamilton to win this championship.
Didn't Ocon and Russell run out of fuel as well or did they just stop their cars in random places and run to the pit lane?

truefan72
1st August 2021, 21:37
Aston Martin to appeal Vettel's penalty- unlikely they'll be successful but worth a shot.

Congratulations to Sainz on the podium!

I hope the appeal is successful.
I think Ocon and Russel stopped their cars to ensure enough fuel to measure.
I wish the Aston Martin team had told Vettel to do the same

airshifter
1st August 2021, 21:38
A strange race to say the least. I watched it delayed, and was so glad to finally see a race at least start in the wet. Then turn one happens and send the entire field upside down pretty much!

Total bonehead by both Bottas and Stroll. They must have been on a totally different planet from the other drivers. Lewis, Max, and Perez were all looking cautious and out of harms way, and other than the midfield and back of pack bunch up everyone else looked to be in decent shape also. More than happy they both get penalties for the next race. Despite it not being that high of a speed, it certainly caused a lot of carnage. RB was lucky to keep Max in with the damage, and Lando and Charles weren't so lucky.

Speaking of penalties, strange that speeding is a stop and go, while an unsafe release that causes a collision is a lesser penalty. As for Seb's DQ, another one that sucks for the team.

While Merc blew it with being the only ones to not restart on slicks, they absolutely got it right with that massive undercut. So their strategy for the day more or less turned into a wash, even with the extra stop. Good drive through the field by Lewis, and really at that track staying fresher on tires was the right call, even against the slower cars. In the end it didn't get them all the way to the front but Alonso had tires fresh enough to protect for quite a while and give us some good viewing while at it.

Up front neither Ocon or Seb put a foot wrong, and though the pass never happened it certainly wasn't for a lack of trying. Good drive by Sainz as well, and he seemed to be the one to know Merc would pit again.

truefan72
1st August 2021, 21:40
Also another thing to point out. Did you see how Max passed MSC aggressively and actually made contact.
It was yet another example of him not giving his fellow drivers enough room.
He was very lucky it didn't end up worse for him.
But I'm pretty sure if he retired, his apologists would be on here asking for Mick Schumacher's head right?
He does the same thing in the very next race, but crickets from the community. LOL

Bagwan
1st August 2021, 21:43
Didn't Ocon and Russell run out of fuel as well or did they just stop their cars in random places and run to the pit lane?

He will win , Joe , but it shouldn't look too easy .

Notice another more than stupid move by the Merc boys to keep him out when everyone else went in .
But , it's only stupid if you want to win .
It was brilliant , on the fly thinking , to come up with that in less than a lap when Max got damaged , so that the whole shootin' match would be closer going into the summer break .

It would have worked out perfectly , but Fernando couldn't hold him off until the last lap for the most spectacular of finishes against his former team mate .

And , I would imagine Merc is in the background at Aston trying to help squeeze the needed fuel from the tubes for the appeal so Lewis doesn't get too many points more than Max here .

F1nKS
1st August 2021, 21:58

Hamilton is has been very lucky. But at the same time he is very consistent, even on his worse days he still finds a way to get points. For a championship run that is very important.

Verstappen on the other hand has only had bad luck. Secondly, he is almost a all or nothing type of guy. I wouldn't be surprised if the narrative at the end of his career is he one of the best driver who never wins a world championship.

Nitrodaze
2nd August 2021, 00:20
Maybe Alonso doesn't like Hamilton...

Maybe it was just racing.

Nitrodaze
2nd August 2021, 00:26

The lockup was due to immense pressure Hamilton placed on Alonso. With that kind of pressure, he was going to pass him at some point. He had to protect his car which was the main reason why it took so long to get past. Hamilton was driving with his head. Something Verstappenb could learn from l think.

Nitrodaze
2nd August 2021, 00:33
Hamilton is has been very lucky. But at the same time he is very consistent, even on his worse days he still finds a way to get points. For a championship run that is very important.

Verstappen on the other hand has only had bad luck. Secondly, he is almost a all or nothing type of guy. I wouldn't be surprised if the narrative at the end of his career is he one of the best driver who never wins a world championship.

It ain't over until the fat lady sings. Don't write off Redbull and Verstappen yet.

F1nKS
2nd August 2021, 04:01

Truefan was arguing that Alonso didn't see the "big picture" - when in reality Alonso did see the "big picture".

F1nKS
2nd August 2021, 04:03
It ain't over until the fat lady sings. Don't write off Redbull and Verstappen yet.

You should not be fat shaming people.

Nitrodaze
2nd August 2021, 10:58

You are not a fat boy now are you F1nks? It is just an expression, no particular fat lady was referred to. Besides, it is not a shame to be fat. I can of like round ladies myself. It is you who is making it a shame. Which it ain't

F1nKS
2nd August 2021, 19:20
You are not a fat boy now are you F1nks? It is just an expression, no particular fat lady was referred to. Besides, it is not a shame to be fat. I can of like round ladies myself. It is you who is making it a shame. Which it ain't

You have no sense of humor at all do you.

https://youtu.be/nDoER71XnNo

joe1888cfc
3rd August 2021, 07:45
You have no sense of humor at all do you.

https://youtu.be/nDoER71XnNo
Lol

denkimi
3rd August 2021, 07:48
Fat people should be shamed as much as possible. Nobody gets better by accepting and promoting their unhealthyness.

F1nKS
3rd August 2021, 14:40
Fallout from this weekend continues - Leclerc engine was ruined, so he will be facing a grid penalty likely later this year for a power unit change.

Bottas and Stroll penalty should have been larger. They only got 2 penalty points also.

F1nKS
3rd August 2021, 14:42

Alonso said after the race he fought Hamilton hard for Max and Ocon. So, there is no love lost for Hamilton.

N. Jones
4th August 2021, 00:40

Oh no, this seals his contract for next season. He took out all of Lewis' rivals in one move!

airshifter
4th August 2021, 15:14
Fallout from this weekend continues - Leclerc engine was ruined, so he will be facing a grid penalty likely later this year for a power unit change.

Bottas and Stroll penalty should have been larger. They only got 2 penalty points also.

This is the type of thing I really hate about the budget restrictions. Damage done to cars that were clearly not the car can come back to hurt the team. In clear cut cases I think it would be nice if they had a provision that allows them to make major repairs without the penalties.

I really don't know if there would be a proper way to hand the penalties out to the cars at fault, since it's the luck of the draw in some respects as to the long term costs to the teams involved. It sucks when other drivers are taken out, but in many cases the car that caused things is taken out as well.

Though I will admit I hate to see when driver X causes a mess and takes out other cars, and in the end benefits from it in the race while drivers Y and Z retire or lose a lot of positions.

The Black Knight
4th August 2021, 17:34
This is the type of thing I really hate about the budget restrictions. Damage done to cars that were clearly not the car can come back to hurt the team. In clear cut cases I think it would be nice if they had a provision that allows them to make major repairs without the penalties.

I really don't know if there would be a proper way to hand the penalties out to the cars at fault, since it's the luck of the draw in some respects as to the long term costs to the teams involved. It sucks when other drivers are taken out, but in many cases the car that caused things is taken out as well.

Though I will admit I hate to see when driver X causes a mess and takes out other cars, and in the end benefits from it in the race while drivers Y and Z retire or lose a lot of positions.

From my point of view this is a non runner from the start. Crashes have always been part of F1 from the outset- if a team like RBR hasn't budgeted enough for the damages they have sustained then their accountants need to do a better job next year. The same with every other team up and down the grid. Budget caps have been in the making for 15 years. If in that time they haven't thought to budget for crashes then really that's on them. Crashes are part of F1 making other teams pay for your repairs, no matter what the reasoning, is opening Pandora's box and, regardless of the solution, I can imagine litigation and court cases following.

If you compete in F1 and can't handle some damage to your car every now and then, you're in the wrong sport.

airshifter
4th August 2021, 18:09
From my point of view this is a non runner from the start. Crashes have always been part of F1 from the outset- if a team like RBR hasn't budgeted enough for the damages they have sustained then their accountants need to do a better job next year. The same with every other team up and down the grid. Budget caps have been in the making for 15 years. If in that time they haven't thought to budget for crashes then really that's on them. Crashes are part of F1 making other teams pay for your repairs, no matter what the reasoning, is opening Pandora's box and, regardless of the solution, I can imagine litigation and court cases following.

If you compete in F1 and can't handle some damage to your car every now and then, you're in the wrong sport.

I didn't state anything about having the team causing the damage to pay for it, simply provisions within the budget to allow repairs not allowed by current rules. FWIW, the only time I could even think of placing the burden on the car causing the damage would be if it was intentional and deliberate beyond any doubt.... then maybe.

With the restrictions on the power plants, I don't see why a team would be forced to run older units or face penalties if the damage is not caused by them. Depending on luck, someone could have major components taken out of service early in the life cycle, and with only three of many of these major engine components to be used through the season, they get double or triple shafted. I think at a bare minimum they should be allowed to replace that component without penalty. It's just rubbing salt in the wound for an incident that they didn't create.

I'm fine with budget caps and it making the teams closer in terms of performance. But with the noose tightening more over the next few years, it would suck to see a team lose out in the WCC for reasons beyond their control. This would once again hurt the small teams more than the big teams, as the small teams really need every point in the WCC to get through the coming years.

Nitrodaze
6th August 2021, 18:53
I didn't state anything about having the team causing the damage to pay for it, simply provisions within the budget to allow repairs not allowed by current rules. FWIW, the only time I could even think of placing the burden on the car causing the damage would be if it was intentional and deliberate beyond any doubt.... then maybe.

With the restrictions on the power plants, I don't see why a team would be forced to run older units or face penalties if the damage is not caused by them. Depending on luck, someone could have major components taken out of service early in the life cycle, and with only three of many of these major engine components to be used through the season, they get double or triple shafted. I think at a bare minimum they should be allowed to replace that component without penalty. It's just rubbing salt in the wound for an incident that didn't create.

I'm fine with budget caps and it making the teams closer in terms of performance. But with the noose tightening more over the next few years, it would suck to see a team lose out in the WCC for reasons beyond their control. This would once again hurt the small teams more than the big teams, as the small teams really need every point in the WCC to get through the coming years.

Now that is an interesting thought. The budget was reduced from $175m to $145 for this 2021 season. I think particularly because the teams are essentially reusing the 2020 car to a large extent. I have a feeling that teams that have suffered crashes this season would push back to raise the budget back to $175m for next season. The experiment of the budget cap of this 2021 season has shown that $145 might not be enough in situations where a team suffers a higher number of crashes than the average of a typical season.

It is hard to imagine that a dispensation spend for exceptional cases would be introduced, as it would muddy the water of accounting. Besides, every team, would be quick to find a reason why they should be allowed to spend more. Then there is the problem of consistency of applying it fairly across the big teams and the smaller teams. A spending band seem more reasonable; $145m to $175m. Even that reintroduces the problems of having teams spending at the top end of the band and having better performance from it. And smaller teams that are only able to spend up the minimum budget.

Zico
6th August 2021, 19:45
Well, Binotos suggestion sounds a reasonable one to me..
The temptation for reckless driving/foul play... for F1 to become 'destruction derby' is exorbitantly high with how things currently stand.

Sure the Stewards final decision on who was at fault and therefore liable for the bill would likely be debated to death on here, probably even more than usual, but even if they got 75% of them right it would still be a lot fairer than the triple/quadruple whammy of having someone take out both of a teams cars, losing them many valuable points then having a sizeable chunk of their seasons capped budget go towards repairing the damage which consequently has a knock on effect of reduced development and therefore season long performance, as well as grid penalties for going over engine/gearbox etc quotas... for the guilty driver to only suffer a single 5 position grid penalty for the next race and a couple of penalty points.

Yeah, maybe there is a better and fairer way of doing it.. but it's not a bad one in my book.

Fortitude
7th August 2021, 13:58
Sebastian Vettel disqualified from Hungarian Grand Prix as Lewis Hamilton promoted to second
By George Flood
1st August 2021

https://www.standard.co.uk/sport/formula-one/sebastian-vettel-disqualified-hungarian-grand-prix-lewis-hamilton-b948701.html

Vettel finishing position and points reinstated
August 2, 2021 · by thejudge13

https://thejudge13.com/2021/08/02/vettel-finishing-position-and-points-reinstated/

Aston Martin will appeal Sebastian Vettel's Hungarian Grand Prix disqualification having been stripped of second place to a fuel infringement... meaning Lewis Hamilton's title lead could be reduced
• Aston Martin will appeal Sebastian Vettel's disqualification from the Hungary GP
• The German finished second but saw that taken away due to a fuel infringement
• Lewis Hamilton saw his championship lead increase as a result of the decision
• If it was overturned Max Verstappen would close the gap on the British driver
By Philip Duncan, Pa F1 Correspondent
Published: 09:01, 6 August 2021 | Updated: 09:17, 6 August 2021

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/formulaone/article-9867963/Aston-Martin-appeal-Sebastian-Vettels-Hungarian-Grand-Prix-disqualification-losing-second.html

Vettel disqualification hearing to take place on Monday
2021 Hungarian Grand Prix
Posted on
6th August 2021, 15:436th August 2021, 15:47 | Written by Keith Collantine

https://www.racefans.net/2021/08/06/vettel-disqualification-hearing-to-take-place-on-monday/

airshifter
7th August 2021, 17:13
Well, Binotos suggestion sounds a reasonable one to me..
The temptation for reckless driving/foul play... for F1 to become 'destruction derby' is exorbitantly high with how things currently stand.

Sure the Stewards final decision on who was at fault and therefore liable for the bill would likely be debated to death on here, probably even more than usual, but even if they got 75% of them right it would still be a lot fairer than the triple/quadruple whammy of having someone take out both of a teams cars, losing them many valuable points then having a sizeable chunk of their seasons capped budget go towards repairing the damage which consequently has a knock on effect of reduced development and therefore season long performance, as well as grid penalties for going over engine/gearbox etc quotas... for the guilty driver to only suffer a single 5 position grid penalty for the next race and a couple of penalty points.

Yeah, maybe there is a better and fairer way of doing it.. but it's not a bad one in my book.

I don't know that I would trust the FIA to decide who pays myself, as we have enough controversial calls as it stands now.

My primary first concern would just be not adding insult to injury by applying a penalty to a team that has already lost points and increased costs for an accident they didn't create. Though costs would vary somewhat team to team, I'm sure they could come up with some general average number for major components such as engines, battery stores, etc. And it would be easy to ensure that no team gains advantage by introducing new major components, just by assigning them a life cycle max or something.

Zico
7th August 2021, 19:41
I don't know that I would trust the FIA to decide who pays myself, as we have enough controversial calls as it stands now.

My primary first concern would just be not adding insult to injury by applying a penalty to a team that has already lost points and increased costs for an accident they didn't create. Though costs would vary somewhat team to team, I'm sure they could come up with some general average number for major components such as engines, battery stores, etc. And it would be easy to ensure that no team gains advantage by introducing new major components, just by assigning them a life cycle max or something.

Fair points.The FIA probably also have more than enough on their plates without having to attend numerous hearings and appeals after every race weekend.
In one hand I'd like to see a real deterent for reckless/careless driving with the guilty drivers being punished rather than the unfortunate victims merely being punished a little less. However, I do concede that could also have an adverse effect on the spectacle and be detrimental to the racing with drivers potentially playing it too safe, avoiding going for the gaps in case it didn't work out in their favour. Your idea is probably the better one over all, it equalises just about enough while still maintaining an acceptable balance on the effect.

Fortitude
8th August 2021, 05:57
Aston Martin petition for review date to reverse Vettel disqualification announced
‎06‎ ‎August‎ ‎15‎:‎45

The FIA have confirmed Aston Martin's video conference to try and overturn Sebastian Vettel's disqualification will take place on August 9.

Aston Martin's video conference with the FIA will take place on August 9 as they seek to reverse the stewards' decision to disqualify Sebastian Vettel from the Hungarian Grand Prix.

The FIA were not able to take a one litre fuel sample after the race so Vettel lost his second place behind race winner Esteban Ocon. Aston Martin have lodged a requested a right to review, the same process Red Bull undertook prior to Hungary for the controversial lap one incident between Lewis Hamilton and Max Verstappen.

https://racingnews365.com/aston-martin-petition-for-review-date-to-reverse-vettel-disqualification-announced

Lewis Hamilton faces title setback as Aston Martin appeal Sebastian Vettel penalty
Aston Martin will appeal Sebastian Vettel's Hungarian Grand Prix disqualification, which would cut Lewis Hamilton's title lead.

By Claire Cottingham
PUBLISHED: 01:02, Sat, Aug 7, 2021 | UPDATED: 01:19, Sat, Aug 7, 2021

https://www.express.co.uk/sport/f1-autosport/1473218/Lewis-Hamilton-title-setback-Sebastian-Vettel-appeal-FIA-penalty-F1

ESTEBAN OCON
Ocon: I'm a bit sad for Vettel

‎06‎ ‎August‎ ‎08‎:‎55
The Alpine driver admits motorsport can be cruel and does not like to see his rivals getting disqualified as Aston Martin lodged an appeal against the stewards' decision to disqualify Sebastian Vettel from the Hungarian Grand Prix.
Author Nigel Chiu

https://racingnews365.com/ocon-im-a-bit-sad-for-vettel

Ralf Schumacher Has No Sympathy for Vettel, Aston Martin in F1 Fuel Controversy
Sebastian Vettel forced to give up podium finish at Formula 1 Hungarian Grand Prix over fuel amount in car.

BY GLOBAL MOTORSPORTS MEDIA
Aug 6, 2021

Former Formula 1 driver Ralf Schumacher says that Aston Martin is wasting its time by appealing Sebastian Vettel's disqualification from the Hungarian Grand Prix for having a too small amount of fuel left in the tank at the end of the race.
FIA scrutineers were only able to extract a third of the required 1 liter of fuel from Vettel's Aston Martin-branded car after he finished a sensational second last Sunday. Given Aston Martin's right to appeal, Vettel's car was impounded with Aston Martin insisting that more than a litre of fuel remains safely on board.

https://www.autoweek.com/racing/formula-1/a37245683/schumacher-sympathy-vettel-aston-martin-f1-controversy/

Motor racing-F1 stewards to assess Aston Martin's case on Aug. 9
Sebastian Vettel
6 August 2021, 7:00 pm

Formula One stewards will assess on Monday Aston Martin's request for a review of Sebastian Vettel's disqualification from second place at last Sunday's Hungarian Grand Prix.

The governing FIA said it had scheduled a video hearing for Aug. 9 with the Aston Martin team manager and a maximum two other witnesses.

If the stewards accept grounds for review, another hearing will be held.

Aston Martin has also appealed the disqualification, but that may not be necessary depending on the outcome of any review.

The team said on Thursday they had discovered "significant new evidence" which had been previously unavailable to them.

https://uk.sports.yahoo.com/news/motor-racing-f1-stewards-assess-180059361.html?guccounter=1&guce_referrer=aHR0cHM6Ly9jLm5ld3Nub3cuY28udWsv&guce_referrer_sig=AQAAAJyu0Rec30KlcZ33tK93uSSk7zK8 62woc5OM4W4dpY8xZGtnsQkzuHpfOijhWTKE0p1osPMbvSOpT5 SeaZVMdZa1BtpU6XRYwgToqgxgYF-UClhs03TJUcbeHb7uxZ3R4gOUA6IiY41JSwUcCuJMp2ntrHyG9 M821ZKysRmliL58

Bagwan
8th August 2021, 19:34
The only hope for AM is that one of the scavenger pumps failed , leaving enough fuel in the tank and piping to get the required amount for the sample , I am guessing .
Otherwise , what would be the point of any appeal ?

airshifter
8th August 2021, 22:24
The only hope for AM is that one of the scavenger pumps failed , leaving enough fuel in the tank and piping to get the required amount for the sample , I am guessing .
Otherwise , what would be the point of any appeal ?

That's the way I see it as well. But if they are really crafty maybe they set it up so when the car stops on track and "runs out" of fuel there is still at least one liter in the tanks left for the sample.

I still don't think the appeal will fly either way, but this is Formula One...

Fortitude
9th August 2021, 20:09
BREAKING NEWS: ASTON MARTIN’S PETITION FOR REVIEW DISMISSED
Sad times for Sebastian Vettel.
By Niya Sinckler

Aston Martin’s appeal was reviewed by the FIA regarding Sebastian Vettel’s disqualification at the Hungarian Grand Prix.
After discussing the case via video teleconference, F1 stewards dismissed Aston Martin’s petition for a review under Article 14 of the FIA International Sporting Code for reasons of admissibility.

Article 14 states, “14.1.1 in Competitions forming part of an FIA Championship, cup, trophy, challenge or series, or of an international series, a significant and relevant new element is discovered which was unavailable to the parties seeking the review at the time of the decision concerned, the stewards who have given a ruling or, failing this, those designated by the FIA, may decide to re-examine their decision following a petition for review.”

Read MORE here;

https://www.formulanerds.com/news/breaking-news-aston-martins-petition-for-review-dismissed/?nowprocket=1

SEBASTIAN VETTEL
Aston Martin fail in review bid to overturn Vettel's Hungarian GP disqualification
Author Nigel Chiu

The stewards have rejected Aston Martin's right of review so Sebastian Vettel will remain disqualified from the 2021 Hungarian Grand Prix.

https://racingnews365.com/aston-martin-fail-in-bid-to-overturn-vettels-hungarian-gp-disqualification

Aston Martin: FIA dismisses team's Hungarian GP right to review
Michael Delaney09/08/2021 at 19:0309/08/2021 at 20:25

Aston Martin has failed to convince the FIA stewards to accept its right to review Sebastian Vettel's exclusion from the Hungarian Grand Prix in which the German driver finished P2.

Vettel finished the race second on the road, but during a post-race fuel sample check, the scrutineers were unable to extract the 1-litre minimum amount of fuel from the tank of the German driver's Aston Martin AMR21, as mandated by the regulations, with only 0.3-litres being pumped out.

The Silverstone-based outfit argued for a right to review based on "significant new evidence relevant to the sanction which was unavailable to it at the time of the FIA stewards' decision".

However, the "new" evidence in question - data that demonstrated that there had been a fuel pump failure that prevented the extraction of the minimum 1-litre amount of fuel - was dismissed by the stewards in Monday's video conference hearing as the data was available after the race, although it could not be processed on site in a timely manner.

Aston Martin was initially convinced that 1.4-litres of fuel remained in the tank of Vettel's car at the end of the race.

But the team eventually concluded upon further analysis that "an analysis of various data carried out after August 1, 2021 showed that there was actually less than 1 litre remaining at the end of the race due to an initially unnoticed malfunction in the fuel system."

The stewards crucially assumed "the fact that there was not enough fuel in the tank", while "the question of what caused the situation was left out of consideration".

For the stewards, only the shortfall in fuel was therefore considered.

"Therefore, for the assessment of whether or not the 1-litre requirement was broken, it does not make a difference why there was less than 1 litre," read the FIA's report.

"There may be a couple of explanation why at the end of a race the remaining amount is insufficient. In any case, it remains the sole responsibility of the Competitor to ensure that the car is in conformity with the regulations at all times."

Aston Martin still retains a right to appeal the penalty handed by the Hungarian Grand Prix stewards to the team. But the team has yet to decide whether to exercise that right or abandon the case altogether, perhaps a wiser course of action in light of Monday's decision by the FIA stewards.

Read MORE here;

https://f1i.com/news/414661-aston-martin-fia-dismisses-teams-hungarian-gp-right-to-review.html

Aston Martin
Aston Martin to consider "full appeal" after FIA denies Vettel disqualification review
Sam Hall
Monday 9 August 2021 20:36

Aston Martin team principal Otmar Szafnauer has stated the team will now "consider our position" with regard to a "full appeal" after the FIA denied a review of Sebastian Vettel's disqualification.

Vettel was disqualified from the Hungarian Grand Prix after finishing second to Esteban Ocon when only 0.3-litres of fuel could be extracted from his car in post-race scrutineering.

https://www.gpfans.com/en/f1-news/68460/aston-martin-to-consider-full-appeal-after-fia-denies-vettel-disqualification-review/

Red Bull chief Helmut Marko lays into Lewis Hamilton with Sebastian Vettel penalty claim
Red Bull chief Helmut Marko thinks the penalties are inconsistent in F1 following incidents with Lewis Hamilton and Sebastian Vettel.
By Luke Gardener
PUBLISHED: 18:32, Mon, Aug 9, 2021 | UPDATED: 18:32, Mon, Aug 9, 2021

F1 must look at the penalties they give out, according to Red Bull chief Helmut Marko. It is after Sebastian Vettel was disqualified from the Hungarian Grand Prix and Lewis Hamilton received a 10-second time penalty for a crash with Max Verstappen at Silverstone prior.

Vettel had a storming drive for Aston Martin to come home in second but did not have enough fuel to be tested by the FIA.

The German was therefore disqualified from the race.

Hamilton collided with Verstappen at the British Grand Prix which left the Red Bull star out of the race but the world champion only received a 10-second time penalty.

The Briton went on to win the race after he managed to catch and pass Ferrari driver Charles Leclerc.

“Vettel was disqualified because there was not enough fuel left in the tank. So we have to talk about the relation of the penalties,” Marko told Speedweek on penalties in F1.

“It is clear why Vettel almost ran out of petrol, because a normal race had been calculated and then he simply used more in the fight with Ocon – no driver saves petrol in this situation.

“Where is the relation there compared to Hamilton’s offence?

Read MORE here;

https://www.express.co.uk/sport/f1-autosport/1474532/Red-Bull-Helmut-Marko-Lewis-Hamilton-Sebastian-Vettel-penalty-claim-F1-news

Bagwan
10th August 2021, 16:24
That's the way I see it as well. But if they are really crafty maybe they set it up so when the car stops on track and "runs out" of fuel there is still at least one liter in the tanks left for the sample.

I still don't think the appeal will fly either way, but this is Formula One...

If they are considering an appeal now , they really must think there is more fuel in there .
An appeal would be expensive , but , maybe the points are worth it .

Nitrodaze
10th August 2021, 18:01
If they are considering an appeal now , they really must think there is more fuel in there .

I think the question is, why should the driver be punished for the error of the team? Vettel did not make any mistakes here, he just drove the car he was given. As far as the fuel test goes, the other Mercedes powered cars are not having a similar problem and they have been doing this for years now. Hence, there is no excuse really. It is just a shame that Vettel has suffered the most for a race that he drove brilliantly in a car that has infringed FIA protocols.

truefan72
10th August 2021, 21:04

How about they stop giving Ferrari that $100M special payment even though they were caught cheating and the FIA tried to cover it up and use that money as pot for repairs for all teams, given that they can prove the actual cost of repairs instead of the fake sums they give, even though their all own their own factories and the costs are parts are already redundancies given that they are only remanufacturing their own designed parts etc.

airshifter
10th August 2021, 23:34

From the sound of things they are just grasping at straws. The technical regs don't seem to leave much grey area in the matter, so I personally think the cause is already lost. Unless AM can prove that they have a system that conforms to regs and has somehow been damaged of malfunctioned, they are going to be stuck.

I think they are just bluffing on the appeal myself, but really in the grand scheme of things they already have plenty of cash and lawyers, so the possible grab at a few more points might be worth a roll of the dice.

F1nKS
11th August 2021, 00:55

I believe Aston Martin has admitted that the required fuel was missing because the fuel pump had started leaking the fuel out.

I believe they are appealing it on the terms of whether the punishment fits the crime. I mean Bottas and Stroll take out 25% of the cars and get only a 5 space grid penalty, while Vettel has a fuel pump failure at the end of the race the leaks the fuel out and gets disqualified - where is the justice?

Bagwan
12th August 2021, 16:15
I believe Aston Martin has admitted that the required fuel was missing because the fuel pump had started leaking the fuel out.

I believe they are appealing it on the terms of whether the punishment fits the crime. I mean Bottas and Stroll take out 25% of the cars and get only a 5 space grid penalty, while Vettel has a fuel pump failure at the end of the race the leaks the fuel out and gets disqualified - where is the justice?

They might have a real case if it was a leaky pump , but I can't imagine them getting anywhere if it's just comparatively unjust .

They'll need pictures of the puddle , or the opportunity to drain it and replace it to pump the required fuel , if it is , indeed , there .

Arguing about someone else's penalty will get them nowhere when the rule they breached and the penalty for said indiscretion is clear .
It would merely piss off the same people they are trying to convince of their own innocence .

airshifter
12th August 2021, 17:28
While it may be possible, I think most likely the fuel leaked out while battling on the track. :laugh:

Bagwan
12th August 2021, 22:32
While it may be possible, I think most likely the fuel leaked out while battling on the track. :laugh:

It brings to my mind the question of how efficient the aeros are on the AM , since they were in the slipstream of the Alpine for most of the race , and might have expected a little less usage as a result .
The Merc motor doesn't seem overly thirsty in the Merc car , so that isn't likely the issue .

They obviously knew there was an issue , though , because I'm sure they would have loved to see that car sitting behind that #2 sign at the end .

And , it might have just been a mathematical goof .
Mind you , that goof seems to only have been found in the cool-down lap , so it kind of backs up the leaky story they seem to be going with .

So , if the data they may have for the fuel pump correlates with the idea they were good through the race , but lost the expected fuel load during the cool down lap , they might have a chance .
I hope they find that puddle because it was nice to see the old codger on the podium ( oops , that's ageism , isn't it ?) .

Fortitude
13th August 2021, 20:23
ASTON MARTIN
Aston Martin withdraw appeal against Vettel's disqualification in Hungary
12th August 2021, ‎14‎:‎06

Aston Martin's disqualification from the Hungarian Grand Prix will stand, as the team have withdrawn their appeal against Sebastian Vettel being thrown out of the results.
Author Thomas Maher

Aston Martin have decided against continuing with their appeal against Sebastian Vettel's disqualification from the Hungarian Grand Prix.
Vettel, who finished second to Esteban Ocon at the Hungaroring, was disqualified from the results after the stewards were unable to get a one-litre sample of fuel out of his car at the end of the race.

Aston Martin lodged a petition for a right to review the penalty with the stewards, as well as lodging an intention to appeal the outcome. Earlier this week, the stewards declined the petition from Aston Martin due to a lack of new evidence.

The team's AMR21 suffered a fuel pump issue during the race that resulted in the car having less than the required one-litre, but the cause of the issue was of no concern to the stewards. With the car not containing the required fuel, as dictated by the technical regulations, the petition was rejected.

Following on from that decision, the team have now decided to withdraw their appeal against the disqualification.

"Having considered our position and having noted the FIA stewards’ verdict that there was clear new evidence of a fuel system failure, we have nonetheless withdrawn our appeal on the basis that we believe doing so outweighs the benefits of it being heard," said a short statement from the team.

https://racingnews365.com/aston-martin-withdraw-appeal-against-vettels-disqualification-in-hungary

Aston Martin admit defeat in Sebastian Vettel appeal - and it could be key in title race
Vettel may have lost his second-placed finish and the 18 championship points that came with it, but Max Verstappen could be the biggest loser from the situation
By Daniel Moxon
• 15:06, 13 Aug 2021
• Updated16:24, 13 Aug 2021

Bosses at Aston Martin F1 have finally admitted defeat in their quest to reverse Sebastian Vettel's disqualification at the Hungarian Grand Prix.

The German finished second behind surprise winner Esteban Ocon in Budapest, but was later stripped of his podium place after the FIA could not take the required one-litre fuel sample from his car after the race.

His team contested the decision and provided evidence as to why there was less fuel than anticipated left in the car.

However, the FIA stood by its decision after reviewing the appeal and deemed the new evidence "not relevant" – much to the displeasure of team principal Otmar Szafnauer.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/formula-1/sebastian-vettel-disqualification-appeal-dropped-24754899