PDA

View Full Version : in GB Lewis Hamilton is known as..

rohanweb
14th May 2007, 20:48
If a blackguy (or any ethnic minority sportsman in UK ie: Boxer Amir khan etc) wins, he will be known as 'Englishman' and british papers name him a 'hero' but if you arent winning or not popular you are called allsort of 'names' such as paki or blackman!

whats your opinion on this issue guys?
I am sick of this attitude of the press & even some of the top people in uk.

sorry i am not raising a racist problem here but its very familier to the people there,

just noticed the very same lines in bbc that calls Lewis Hamilton as 'English man'

Dave B
14th May 2007, 20:51
Round my way he's known as a racing driver.

That'll do for me.

:dozey:

Ian McC
14th May 2007, 20:53
I find that rather offensive.

Bezza
14th May 2007, 21:01
Don't know what papers you've apparently been reading, rohanweb :s

raphael123
14th May 2007, 21:16
Ummm....why would we not call him an Englishman? :rolleyes:

Would you rather he was referred to as blackman all the time? So 'Blackman takes Championship lead!' :dozey: I'm not sure exactly what your problem is to be honest.

And even in the sun they don't refer to sportsman as 'paki', so I'm not sure what tabloids your referring to.

Your main problem seems to be that people are calling Hamilton the english man when referring to him - the fact he's english, born and raised, seems to make perfect sense for him to be described as English, unless I'm missing something.

It's no different to Kimi being the finnish guy, or alesi the frenchman etc.

futuretiger9
14th May 2007, 21:25
I think that the UK media has grown up in recent years in this regard, and the colour of his skin will not be an issue should Lewis start to fall from grace. He will still be called English or British regardless of his level of performance.

Dave B
14th May 2007, 21:48
There were a few "the Tiger Woods of motorsport" type comments in some of the papers over the winter, but otherwise Lewis' colour - rightly - hasn't been of the remotest concern.

A previous similar thread got locked, I hope this one can remain civil and on-topic. :s

Brown, Jon Brow
14th May 2007, 22:09
Maybe rohanweb read the Daily Mail :erm:

I don't think that there is any racist abuse in the press to any sportsman. But if he makes a stupid mistake you might hear the odd outburst by someone at the pub, insulting him because of his ethnicity. But that would be no different to people who do the same to DC because he is Scottish or because he has a wide jaw, or because Jenson is called Jenson Button :s

Sandfly
14th May 2007, 22:42
Depending on what he does he could be called a F***ing ENGLISHMAN by the folks in Scottish Pub. Not sure it has anything to do with the color of his skin. The dude can drive.

Valve Bounce
14th May 2007, 22:53
If a blackguy (or any ethnic minority sportsman in UK ie: Boxer Amir khan etc) wins, he will be known as 'Englishman' and british papers name him a 'hero' but if you arent winning or not popular you are called allsort of 'names' such as paki or blackman!

sorry i am not raising a racist problem here but its very familier to the people there,

just noticed the very same lines in bbc that calls Lewis Hamilton as 'English man'

I think pino has already put an end to this type of discussion along racial lines on another thread. Why persist here?

Zico
14th May 2007, 23:04

I challange you to show me any tabloid containing these racist terms in the context you speak off.

Talking out your Erse mate...

Valve Bounce
14th May 2007, 23:47
After his races so far, I just wonder if he goes into a telephone booth to change into his racing suit. :p :
before flying off the grid, that is :)

pino
15th May 2007, 05:52
Racism is stupid...so is this thread !