PDA

View Full Version : So how much is Michael losing?

ms0362
14th May 2007, 18:39
I've heard different details about MW having to give money back to NAPA each time he fails to qualify for a race. Now he might have UPS to contend with as well. Is there any truth to this? And if so, how many bucks?

MD24
14th May 2007, 19:09
I heard Waltrip has to give back 300 000 per race that he misses but I doubt there's any truth to it

blakebeatty
14th May 2007, 19:19
I also heard somewhere that he is to give back to napa, $300 000 per race he misses which is near 11 million in the end if he misses them all (which is likely the case) If the same deal occurs with UPS, this would definately eat up his bankroll fast.

Also I should mention that I have no recollection of my source on this....

Cindy_AL
14th May 2007, 20:07
Found this at Jayski:
Sponsor problems at MWR? Rumors are swirling about Toyota driver #55-Michael Waltrip's future and his sponsorship support [NAPA], after failing to make the last six tour races. According to one unconfirmed report, Waltrip is having to return $300,000 to his sponsors for each race he misses. .(Winston Salem Journal)(4-16-2007)

Cindy_AL
14th May 2007, 20:11
and alittle something else I found from Naperville Sun:

The question for Toyota and all the Michael Waltrip Racing sponsors is just how much are these companies willing to take?
Waltrip took NAPA to the victory lane in the 2001 Daytona 500, the first race in which the two were paired. While he won only three more times in six years, NAPA got a lot of attention because of Waltrip's various commercials and TV shows. Heck, NAPA even got ample air time through his numerous crashes and long-winded explanations that followed.
But now the NAPA colors aren't on the track, and Waltrip and has gone through a major controversy on the track and another off it.
Amid reports that Waltrip has to return $300,000 to NAPA for every race he misses, he somehow continues to be one of the faces and voices of the sport. An XM Radio show began last month, and XM is even going to sponsor the Busch car he owns at Chicagoland Speedway in July.
He's also still one of the regulars on the long-running "Inside Nextel Cup" TV show, although I'm not sure just how much inside he still is, considering he's made just one more Cup start than I have this year. Toyota didn't expect any championships from Waltrip's teams this year, maybe not even any wins. But I doubt it expected this kind of performance, and certainly not this kind of publicity.

R. Mears
14th May 2007, 20:38
He will make it back from TV/radio revenue as long as his drought doesn't last too long.
I see he's still at -27 points. I wonder if he'll have to pay money at the awards ceremony. :o

Jonesi
14th May 2007, 21:02
He will make it back from TV/radio revenue as long as his drought doesn't last too long.
I see he's still at -27 points. I wonder if he'll have to pay money at the awards ceremony. :o

The season money pay out only goes down to 25th place, and 25th in points is less than what 43rd at Daytona 500 gets.
Buffys up to 214 in owners points now. ;-)

harvick#1
14th May 2007, 21:47
I heard somewhere that Napa wants to get out and with the whole Cingular/ATT deal, the 31 may become open.

but Mikey is a joke, I just feel sorry for Reutimann who has talent but is in a very crappy ride

BobbyC
14th May 2007, 23:20
All the Toyota teams are in trouble. None of them are even in an exempt position:

35. 25 - Mary Hendrick - 830
------DANGER ZONE------
36. 22 - Bill Davis - 755
40. 44 - Michael Waltrip - 629
41. 83 - Dietrich Mateschitz - 582
43. 00 - Cal Wells - 566
46. 36 - Gail Davis - 397
47. 84 - Dietrich Mateschitz - 341
49. 55 - Elizabeth Waltrip - 214

blakebeatty
15th May 2007, 22:54
I am surprised that Reutimann is not higher up. Obviously his finishes are not indicative of his racing, because he may well be the top toyota.

jslone
16th May 2007, 04:41
Bottom line is that we are all surprised that Napa is still with Mikey,I mean what has he done out side of Daytona?

blakebeatty
16th May 2007, 05:08
Nothing at all. I would love to see napa jump to Burton. That guy is class act (especially compared to Michael).

jslone
17th May 2007, 04:28
That would make sense if and when Cingular/ATT decides to drop the 31 car.