PDA

View Full Version : 2021 Race 5 - Monaco

F1nKS
17th May 2021, 04:26
It is race week! No race in 2020 to compare to. But here is the 2019.

P1 - Hamilton 1:12.106
P2 - Hamilton 1:11.118
P3 - Leclerc 1:11.265

Qualifying
1. Hamilton 1:10.166
2. Bottas 1:10.252
3. Verstappen 1:10.641
4. Vettel 1:10.947
5. Gasly 1:11.047

F1nKS
20th May 2021, 03:15
More and more critics are raising concerns about Perez. From the various podcasts I listen to have graded him out around C-.

Lot of races left, he just has to remember he doesn't have to beat Max, just Bottas.

Perez on the pressure he feels to deliver

But Perez insisted “all the pressure is coming from myself” at the team. “I really want to to deliver to the maximum potential to where the team is operating at.

“The team hasn’t put me [under] any pressure. I know what kind of job I have to do. So they don’t have to tell me what to do.”

Perez has scored a podium in Monaco previously when driving for Force India in 2016. He said achieving the same for Red Bull this weekend would be important to him.

https://www.racefans.net/2021/05/19/perez-the-pressure-is-coming-from-me-not-red-bull/

F1nKS
20th May 2021, 11:50
Practice 1
1. Perez 1:12.487
2. Sainz 1:12.606
3. Verstappen 1:12648

F1nKS
21st May 2021, 02:50
Practice 2 - Ferrari shocks the paddock with 1/2

1. Leclerc 1:11.684
2. Sainz 1.11.796
3. Hamilton 1:12.074

Fortitude
21st May 2021, 16:13
Practice 2 - Ferrari shocks the paddock with 1/2

1. Leclerc 1:11.684
2. Sainz 1.11.796
3. Hamilton 1:12.074
:hot: I wonder if the engines are on FULL boost. :hot:

F1nKS
21st May 2021, 22:40
:hot: I wonder if the engines are on FULL boost. :hot:

I have heard one analysis that says that Ferrari is very good going through corners. Their weakness still lies is in the straights due to their engine weakness. So Monaco is one of the tracks that they have the potential to do well.

It would be great if they could shake things up this weekend.

F1nKS
22nd May 2021, 12:23
Practice 3
1. Verstappen 1:11.293
2. Sainz 1:11.341
3. Lecclerc 1:11.352

Ferrari look for real. Schumacher out for qualifying after having a good session with major accident with only few minutes left in session.

The Black Knight
22nd May 2021, 14:12
I'm convinced LeClerc hit the barrier on purpose. He put way too much lock on that, drivers of this level do not make that mistake- disqualify him.

F1nKS
22nd May 2021, 14:15
1. Leclerc 1:10.346
2. Verstappen 1:10.576
3. Bottas 1:10.601
4. Sainz 1:10.611
5. Norris
6. Gasly
7. Hamilton
8. Vettel
9. Perez
10. Giovinazzi

F1nKS
22nd May 2021, 14:17
I'm convinced LeClerc hit the barrier on purpose. He put way too much lock on that, drivers of this level do not make that mistake- disqualify him.

Well, if his gear box is damaged, he will be have a 5 spot penalty. So if he did do it on purpose, Karma might come out ahead in this.

F1nKS
22nd May 2021, 14:35
1. Leclerc 1:10.346
2. Verstappen 1:10.576
3. Bottas 1:10.601
4. Sainz 1:10.611
5. Norris
6. Gasly
7. Hamilton
8. Vettel
9. Perez
10. Giovinazzi

Winners

1. Leclerc or is Verstappen (watch this space)
2. Formula 1 - Leclerc, Verstappen, Bottas, Norris (Top 4 places, 4 different teams)
3. Norris - Mr. Consistency
4. Gasly - starting ahead of Hamilton. Destroying the Yuki train.
5. Vettel - getting his mojo back?
6. Giovanazzi - Has to be happy with getting in the top 10

Losers
1. Leclerc - watch this space, how bad is his car? Will he end up getting 5 space penalty?
2. Hamilton
3. Perez - this just continues to look like another RB mistake. At what point do they decide to make the move to their reserve driver.
4. Ricciardio/Alonso - It glaring difference between them and their partner drivers. Has F1 become a young man game?

Fortitude
22nd May 2021, 17:02

Interesting observation, which reminds some of us, of years gone by!;)

This was Michael Schumacher

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bdBJ82NV2Pw

Schumacher's Qualifying Drama at Monaco GP 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VgCY548M2QQ

Comments on the You Tube board:

Omar O_O: "Who's here after Leclerc's "crash"?
My boi learns from the best XD"

Liquid: "Here after Lecler crash at Monaco 2021"

Miss Piggy: "I don't think Leclerc crashed on purpose, imagine the costs of getting the car repaired. But I think Schumacher "parked" on purpose. This was his last season before "retirement" and thought he'd try his luck with the officials."

Fortitude
22nd May 2021, 18:35
Five Shocking Moments at the Monaco Grand Prix

It's the most famous race on the calendar, and it's been an almost ever-present fixture of the sport... so it's no wonder that there are so many crazy memorable moments! Here are five, to name a few...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9SPtdbdaCZc

Zico
22nd May 2021, 20:59

He could have done it with far less damage like Schumacher if it was deliberate... or no damage like Rosberg.
Max did the same thing in 2018 there so it's not unheard of. I very much doubt it was intentional and I also prefer to give the benefit of the doubt.. but hey anything is possible.

F1nKS
23rd May 2021, 12:31
Ferrari took a risk on the gear box, and it looks like there may be an issue with the gear box.

F1nKS
23rd May 2021, 12:36
Ferrari took a risk on the gear box, and it looks like there may be an issue with the gear box.

Pit lane is closed. Ferrari still sitting in garage.

Fortitude
23rd May 2021, 12:44
Leclerc loses pole position as gearbox problems strike

Ferrari's Charles Leclerc has had gearbox issues in the lead up to the Monaco Grand Prix.

Ferrari driver Charles Leclerc has faced gearbox issues prior to the start of the Monaco Grand Prix.

"No, no, no, no. The gearbox, guys," Leclerc said on the team radio.

More to follow.

https://racingnews365.com/leclerc-has-gearbox-issues

The Black Knight
23rd May 2021, 12:49
He could have done it with far less damage like Schumacher if it was deliberate... or no damage like Rosberg.
Max did the same thing in 2018 there so it's not unheard of. I very much doubt it was intentional and I also prefer to give the benefit of the doubt.. but hey anything is possible.

I'm convinced he did it purposefully- there's a huge difference in lock between that and previous laps. He got what he deserved in the end by not participating.

Fortitude
23rd May 2021, 12:52
Verstappen starts from Monaco GP pole as Leclerc ruled out by Ferrari

https://www.gpfans.com/en/f1-news/65281/verstappen-starts-from-monaco-gp-pole-after-leclerc-fails-to-make-grid/

Charles Leclerc RULED OUT of his home Grand Prix in Monaco after suffering gearbox problems - as Ferrari star surrenders pole position to give Max Verstappen crucial advantage

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/formulaone/article-9609663/Charles-Leclerc-RULED-home-Grand-Prix-Monaco-suffering-gearbox-problems.html

Charles Leclerc heartbreak as Ferrari driver retires from Monaco Grand Prix before race

https://www.express.co.uk/sport/f1-autosport/1440059/charles-leclerc-monaco-grand-prix-retired-pole-position-gearbox-issue

Charles Leclerc out of Monaco Grand Prix before start after Ferrari mechanical problems

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/motor-racing/formula1/charles-leclerc-monaco-grand-prix-2021-b1852383.html

F1nKS
23rd May 2021, 13:01

Pit lane is closed. Ferrari still sitting in garage.

Fortitude
23rd May 2021, 13:12
Good start by Max.

Bottas apparently locked up before the first corner, which may affect his tyres later.

Fortitude
23rd May 2021, 13:29
IMHO, at this point, Lewis Hamilton seems to be saving and managing his tyres, by being around 2 seconds behind Pierre Gasly.

Fortitude
23rd May 2021, 13:32
Could it be that Bottas is pushing Verstappen, so that his tyres don't last as well, so that Hamilton is the beneficiary?

Fortitude
23rd May 2021, 13:42
LAP 26, Bottas has not managed his tyres well, when pushing Verstappen.

Hamilton is 15 seconds behind Verstappen. Verstappen is in first position.

Fortitude
23rd May 2021, 13:50
Bottas out with a bad wheel nut.

Vettel leap frogs Hamilton.

Bad day at the office for Lewis Hamilton so far.

Fortitude
23rd May 2021, 13:56
Hamilton is in seventh on lap 37.

On the radio Lewis has said;

"I don't understand this guys!"

truefan72
23rd May 2021, 13:57
Pathetic by mercedes. Nothing more needs to be said. Oh well. Off to Baku

Fortitude
23rd May 2021, 14:08
Investigation by Mercedes into getting a nut off a thread!

Hamilton managed his tyres for a long stint on the tyres and then is called in early... ...questioning of that change in strategy ongoing....

On lap 46 Verstappen leading the way in 3.436 seconds on Sainz (Ferrari), is in second.

Lando Norris is in the third at 10.468 seconds.

Fortitude
23rd May 2021, 14:12
Good start by Max.

Bottas apparently locked up before the first corner, which may affect his tyres later.
Could it be that 'lock up' on the first corner, caused the problem with the wheel nut, which then when the pit stop occurred, meant that Bottas had to retire?

Fortitude
23rd May 2021, 14:16
Discussion arising on the problem with the tyres. When following closely, the tyres over heat. That means it is more difficult to over take.

Counter discussion, with regards to down force affecting the chance to overtake. This is from the radio.

Fortitude
23rd May 2021, 14:24
Max Verstappen is looking good here in Monaco, for the win. Lap 60, with a 4.228 second lead over Carlos Sainz (Ferrari).

Fortitude
23rd May 2021, 14:31
Sergio Perez (Red Bull) getting close to Lando Norris (McLaren).

Battle for third ongoing, in the final laps of this Grand Prix.

Fortitude
23rd May 2021, 14:34
Perez has the grip and Norris is sliding around. 68 out of 78.

truefan72
23rd May 2021, 14:42
Not a single overtake in monaco. Yeesh

Fortitude
23rd May 2021, 14:42
Looks like it will now be a 'procession' to the finish, with Verstappen (1st), Carlos Sainz (2nd), Lando Norris (3rd).

Now the confirmed result.

Fortitude
23rd May 2021, 15:03
Monaco GP: Verstappen wins as Leclerc fails to start

https://www.insideracing.com/formula-1/14565-monaco-gp-verstappen-wins-as-leclerc-fails-to-start

Mercedes and Hamilton lose F1 title leads as Verstappen and Red Bull revel in Monaco

https://www.gpfans.com/en/f1-news/65287/mercedes-and-hamilton-lose-f1-title-leads-as-verstappen-and-red-bull-revel-in-monaco/

Race Notes - Verstappen wins in Monaco

https://www.grandprix.com/races/monaco-gp-2021-race-notes.html

N. Jones
23rd May 2021, 15:47
Not a single overtake in monaco. Yeesh

I think there were three:

Vettel over Gasly
Mick of Mazepin
Mazepin over Mick

Exciting. :(

F1nKS
23rd May 2021, 17:24
Winners

1. Verstappen - made the most of the opportunity given
2. Sainz
3. Norris
4. Red Bull - big haul of points, Perez has a very good drive.
5. Vettel - gets his first points

Losers

1. Leclerc - Monaco curse continues
2. Mercedes - total disaster for Mercedes
3. Ricciardo - gets lapped by his teammate who on the poidium

Not much excitement in the race, but the results sure changes this week narrative.

The Black Knight
23rd May 2021, 18:06
What Spanish GP was it that had only one overtake? I think it was 2002 - well this was the worst GP I've seen since that one.

truefan72
24th May 2021, 03:32
I think there were three:

Vettel over Gasly
Mick of Mazepin
Mazepin over Mick

Exciting. :(

The Vettel "pass" was just a pit exit situation really, one which the TV director decided to cut away with in mid skirmish to show something nonsensical.
Even the TV production was poor this weekend. bad coverage, mistake sin graphics etc.
The other 2 don't count...on account of them being haas cars. lol

airshifter
24th May 2021, 16:27
The usual Monaco procession once the race started. I like the tight track and challenge to the drivers, but with modern cars passing is next to nothing, so boooooorinnnnng..... unless someone has an off or car problems.

Qually - surprising to see Ferrari so strong, as well as the Mclaren driven by Lando. I really wish Leclerc didn't have his barrier hit, as I think it would have been tight between Bottas and Max, with Charles a long shot. I don't for a second think it was an intentional accident, as the end result showed why a driver/team wouldn't want that kind of risk. Great job by Gasly as well, Seb back up in the mix, and Giovinazzi makes it to Q3.

As for the race, I thought Bottas might have a shot at Max on the start, but from there out nothing exciting until the Merc pit problems. Bottas 3.6 finally gets a good qually and it gets tossed during the race. Combine that with them rolling the dice trying to move Lewis up, and their weekend was crap. Perez had a poor qually, but put in the fact laps during the race when it mattered, and ends up with a decent result. As for Lewis, crap weekend all around, though better than that of Bottas in the end. But the finger pointing won't help any, and in the past he has always been vocal when he doesn't agree with the team. You have to take the bad with the good in strategy, and considering how often they get it right and the product they drive, I think he should have towed the line for Merc a bit more.

AT kept Yuki out forever in hopes of a safety car, but it didn't work. And except for Seb, the young guns on the respective teams beat the old hands. It's got to be humbling and puzzling for the likes of Fernando and Daniel to be beaten at this track by the newer drivers.

Merc and Lewis #2 by a very slim margin, and Lando slots into #3 in the WDC standings. With RB and Max strong this season, Max making it to #1 at some point is not a shock really, but both Sergio and Valterri really need to step up their games. I still think their performance is going to be a big factor in this years standings. Although in all fairness, Bottas did everything right this weekend, and it just didn't go his way.

Without accidents and safety cars, this race gets even more boring. At least there was the roll of the dice on strategy expecting the safety car. And this year the red flag even robbed us of the last lap efforts in qually, one of the few usual excitements at this race.

Oh well, hopefully Baku will have some action.

Fortitude
27th May 2021, 18:43
Mercedes and Hamilton not happy; contract negotiations temporarily halted'
27-05-2021 06:42 | Updated: 27-05-2021 08:26

by GPblog.com

Negotiations between Lewis Hamilton and Mercedes over a contract extension were reportedly already underway, but the Monaco Grand Prix has reportedly caused talks to temporarily halt. Toto Wolff has been given until mid-June to reach an agreement with the seven-time world champion.

Hamilton had a disappointing qualifying and afterwards, harsh words were exchanged during a meeting with the team's technicians. Toto Wolff was also present at the meeting and the decision was made to make some changes to the front end of the W12. The changes made didn't suit the driving style of Hamilton who was not able to break free.

In the media, the 36-year old driver told that he couldn't have done anything better and that Mercedes didn't give him a competitive car. Those statements were not well received by the Brackley formation, especially because Hamilton always says in good times that 'we win and lose together.' Moreover, the set-up and configuration of Bottas' car was exactly the same.

https://www.gpblog.com/en/news/85185/mercedes-and-hamilton-not-happy-contract-negotiations-temporarily-halted.html

Nitrodaze
27th May 2021, 20:09
Mercedes and Hamilton not happy; contract negotiations temporarily halted'
27-05-2021 06:42 | Updated: 27-05-2021 08:26

by GPblog.com

Negotiations between Lewis Hamilton and Mercedes over a contract extension were reportedly already underway, but the Monaco Grand Prix has reportedly caused talks to temporarily halt. Toto Wolff has been given until mid-June to reach an agreement with the seven-time world champion.

Hamilton had a disappointing qualifying and afterwards, harsh words were exchanged during a meeting with the team's technicians. Toto Wolff was also present at the meeting and the decision was made to make some changes to the front end of the W12. The changes made didn't suit the driving style of Hamilton who was not able to break free.

In the media, the 36-year old driver told that he couldn't have done anything better and that Mercedes didn't give him a competitive car. Those statements were not well received by the Brackley formation, especially because Hamilton always says in good times that 'we win and lose together.' Moreover, the set-up and configuration of Bottas' car was exactly the same.

https://www.gpblog.com/en/news/85185/mercedes-and-hamilton-not-happy-contract-negotiations-temporarily-halted.html

I wouldn't put much weight on this, these are just your typical rumours. Hamilton was very careful with his words when he spoke to sky and channel 4 after the race. He certainly did not blame Mercedes. Valteries was more harder in his comments actually, even so he was very tactful.

It was very clear that Hamilton and Wolff were not happy the way the race turned out. I seriously doubt there are any real friction within Mercedes about Monaco. As always, they would work it out as they always do.

The other thing in the report, it states Mercedes want to offer Hamilton a one year contract extension, which is contrary to what is indicated by Wolff in most recent interviews. All indications suggest they want Hamilton to sign another three year deal which they originally wanted to offer him in 2019 but did a one year deal as they ran out of time with negotiations. I seriously doubt they would be negotiating another one year deal.

F1nKS
28th May 2021, 18:19
Hamilton was very careful with his words when he spoke to sky and channel 4 after the race. He certainly did not blame Mercedes.

That certainty not true. Hamilton started off with some political correct speak,

There's no finger pointing, we win and we lose together

but he couldn't contain himself and he finally blew up:

"We lost a lot of points for a really, really poor performance from the team"

"Lewis Hamilton says Mercedes will need "tough discussions" behind closed doors after feeling the team did not do things the way it should have done"

"Also I don’t want to be critical of team, but behind closed doors, I will be." - LOL. Low key throwing the team under the bus, is still throwing them under the bus.

Hamilton’s bitterness opens a small crack that inevitably emerges on particularly bad days.“Tonight I will discuss with the engineers – he continued – or, perhaps, we will talk about it after the weekend, because there are some things that should have been done, but instead… they have not been done.

The other thing in the report, it states Mercedes want to offer Hamilton a one year contract extension, which is contrary to what is indicated by Wolff in most recent interviews. All indications suggest they want Hamilton to sign another three year deal which they originally wanted to offer him in 2019 but did a one year deal as they ran out of time with negotiations. I seriously doubt they would be negotiating another one year deal.

This will be very interesting to watch. Because there have been rumors that there is a difference of opinion on Lewis contract. If I was the owners, I would sign Hamilton for 3 more years. Ride him and his brand until it out of gas. Bring in his eventual "brand" replacement next year to bring him along. But, I have seen it in other sports, owners think they are smarter.

Bagwan
29th May 2021, 13:01
Curious that as contract talks start , that Merc gets it so wrong that Lewis is not leading the championship at this point .
Interesting that Merc offered him more PU power for that shot at fastest lap , a second or so faster than all the rest .

Nitrodaze
30th May 2021, 13:04
Curious that as contract talks start , that Merc gets it so wrong that Lewis is not leading the championship at this point .
Interesting that Merc offered him more PU power for that shot at fastest lap , a second or so faster than all the rest .

How's it going with you Baggie?

I doubt there are any shinanigans going on at Mercedes. They have very little room to mess about this year with Redbull pushing them hard. They messed up and they would try to sort it out. One thing is clear, if they don't get on top of it quick, they are very likely to fall short of winning the championship.

It is quite simple, Mercedes appear to be struggling to operate at their usual high standards under the reduced budget regime.

Bagwan
30th May 2021, 23:16
How's it going with you Baggie?

I doubt there are any shinanigans going on at Mercedes. They have very little room to mess about this year with Redbull pushing them hard. They messed up and they would try to sort it out. One thing is clear, if they don't get on top of it quick, they are very likely to fall short of winning the championship.

It is quite simple, Mercedes appear to be struggling to operate at their usual high standards under the reduced budget regime.

All I'm saying is that Merc goy it REALLY wrong all weekend long .

You're right that they "appear" to be struggling , but , at the same time they were able to turn it up and run a full second ahead of the whole pack on Monaco's short track .
That's not easy .

I could be completely wrong , but it smells a little like they needed to create the impression of a strong opponent , even though they showed their hand with that fastest lap .
From the smell of it , I'd say Merc will win it all , but the bulls will look like they could have .

Steve Boyd
31st May 2021, 00:07

You're right that they "appear" to be struggling , but , at the same time they were able to turn it up and run a full second ahead of the whole pack on Monaco's short track .
That's not easy .

I could be completely wrong , but it smells a little like they needed to create the impression of a strong opponent , even though they showed their hand with that fastest lap .
From the smell of it , I'd say Merc will win it all , but the bulls will look like they could have .

Interesting - anyone would think Bernie was still there and calling the shots to make it look more exciting so he could sell an option for a GP of (insert unlikely place here) that was never going to actually happen.

F1nKS
31st May 2021, 01:29

That's not easy .

I have kind of wondered about this as possible alternative

The reality is F1 if it is to survive needs a "pennant race" and drama to draw in and keep fans. Netflix gave a glimpse of the drama, and f1 seems to be wanting to give the fans even more.

Zico
31st May 2021, 18:13

That's not easy .

You are so right. I hadn't noticed that.. for a short circuit like Monaco that really is quite extraordinary.

... perhaps only not taking pole because Lewis couldn't get the tyres working in qualy?

.. or they are merely playing games with Red Bull seeking to give the false impression that it's really close to make them pull all their resources into this seasons battle to effectively reduce their chances for next year too?

If that is the case it's a Merc cakewalk for sure... but I'm really not happy about being duped.. conned into thinking it is a genuine title fight.
Nah.. thats crazy talk. Surely not. 🤔

What the actual .... though?

Bagwan
1st June 2021, 13:40
If only they could come up with a diversion to keep people preoccupied with another issue that kind of backs up the ruse , like a flexy wing or something .
It would look like the wing is the reason they were so far behind .

And , with the wing still usable in the next race , where the longest straight will make it useful , they could tank that as well , giving the crowd the belief the bulls have a chance .

The question is , though , do you let the drivers in on it ?

Nitrodaze
3rd June 2021, 19:12

That's not easy .

Here is another one for you, maybe the F1 establishment wants any team other than Mercedes to win the championship this year. The cut out of the chassis is not slowing them down enough and talks of banning the flexi-wing has been delayed to give Redbull a chance to get enough points ahead to make it look like there is a real fight going on.

I bet they would ban the Mercedes front wing to give them something else to overcome.

The Black Knight
3rd June 2021, 19:21
Here is another one for you, maybe the F1 establishment wants any team other than Mercedes to win the championship this year. The cut out of the chassis is not slowing them down enough and talks of banning the flexi-wing has been delayed to give Redbull as chance to get enough points ahead to make it look like there is a real fight going on.

I bet they would ban the Mercedes front wing to give them something else to overcome.

I can't see how Mercedes wouldn't win an ICA appeal. Clearly the FIA have said they agree something is off with the wings. Therefore they must be illegal and I can't see how RBR or other affected teams are to be continued to allowed to race with them. I think Mercedes have a case and a big one.

airshifter
3rd June 2021, 22:40
The FIA has had to intervene a number of times in recent years regarding wing flex, both front and rear. As it stands right now, Merc really have no case. If the wing passes the tests, it is deemed legal by the controlling authority in an official test. It's simply a matter of Merc for once being a little behind the curve, and trying to force the issue since they run a different rear wing setup. But they aren't complaining about RB's front wing at all.... I wonder why?

I actually think it's comical that with only a few point gap, Merc now seem to be in panic mode. I think they have had a margin so large they they never felt anyone could challenge them soon. And the reality is as was stated by Bagwan IMHO, they just got it really wrong at Monaco. With any car there will be circuits where it's not as strong, and the same applies for the team, drivers, etc.

The conspiracy theories already starting are comical though. When a team loses it's dominance in F1, it's because they did. And very rarely IMHO is is due to the FIA playing any favorites, games, or wackiness. The rules develop over time and here and there even a good team gets it wrong.

Bagwan
4th June 2021, 14:05
The FIA has had to intervene a number of times in recent years regarding wing flex, both front and rear. As it stands right now, Merc really have no case. If the wing passes the tests, it is deemed legal by the controlling authority in an official test. It's simply a matter of Merc for once being a little behind the curve, and trying to force the issue since they run a different rear wing setup. But they aren't complaining about RB's front wing at all.... I wonder why?

I actually think it's comical that with only a few point gap, Merc now seem to be in panic mode. I think they have had a margin so large they they never felt anyone could challenge them soon. And the reality is as was stated by Bagwan IMHO, they just got it really wrong at Monaco. With any car there will be circuits where it's not as strong, and the same applies for the team, drivers, etc.

The conspiracy theories already starting are comical though. When a team loses it's dominance in F1, it's because they did. And very rarely IMHO is is due to the FIA playing any favorites, games, or wackiness. The rules develop over time and here and there even a good team gets it wrong.

Shifter , what I am suggesting is that Merc got it so wrong that it wasn't believable .
Now , neither driver is within the top 10 in practice .
That doesn't sound believable in itself , but it was Hamilton still being able to smile some in the interview after the session that made the bagwan say "hmmmmmm" .

The wing thing , to a degree , is just a distraction .
They have at least a second in their pocket .
Merc will lose this one , too , and the bulls will look like real contenders at a quarter of the way through the season .