Williams 1: Albon (2022?)
Williams 2: Latifi (2022?)

Haas 1:
Haas 2:

Alpha Romeo 1: Bottas (2023)
Alpha Romeo 2:

zako85
15th May 2021, 04:44
To make it fair, move Perez to Mercedes, and Hamilton to RedBull. Enjoy a four-way battle.

F1nKS
17th May 2021, 04:33
https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/article.driver-market-f1s-silly-season-for-2022-has-already-begun-but-what-are-the.7BOz7xLJS6cFnTG9hDjeNI.html

The Stories so far.

1. Hamilton negotiation are targeting earlier talks (but have not started)
2. Mercedes 2nd seat
3. Williams - they evidently were interested in Perez last year and will Russel renew?
4. Alfa Romeo - rumors they are out which could mean 2 new drivers next year

Jag_Warrior
17th May 2021, 13:46
I want to see Mick get away from that slug Haas and move to Alfa Romeo… where he should have been in the first place.

F1nKS
19th May 2021, 12:55
Lando Norris has signed a "multi-year" contract with McClaren.

F1nKS
19th May 2021, 13:25
Alpine has evidently said they are happy with Ocon and would like for him resign for 2022.

Gasly probably feeling little uncomfortable after reaching out to Alpine earlier this spring for a possible move. Especially as he continue to make mistake and just struggle in 2021.

F1nKS
21st May 2021, 14:16
Alpine is supposedly negotiating with Ocon for contract extension.

https://www.racefans.net/2021/05/21/alpine-already-in-talks-with-ocon-over-new-2022-deal/

1. I assume Mercedes has told him he won't be considered for their seat.

2. Watch if Williams is trying to negotiating with Russel, that may be the indicator if Bottas is staying with Mercedes

3. Gasly has to be wondering what his future is after making a play for Alpine and being rejected. It seems he has no future with RBR beside staying with Alpha Tauri.

F1nKS
31st May 2021, 13:53
Helmut Marko has revealed that RB won't decide on whether they resign Perez until the summer break.

"Let's start with the positive, that's the race performance," Marko said.

"It's very good, sometimes at Max's level. He proved that in Monte Carlo when we went for the overcut. That was three or four laps where he drove the fastest laps overall, with already very used tyres. So the race pace is there.

"The area where we're still lacking is in qualifying. We need to see an improvement there."

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/red-bull-wont-open-perez-contract-talks-before-summer-break/6518055/

F1nKS
2nd June 2021, 21:34
https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/russell-future-beyond-2021-decided-by-summer-break/6525344/

Russel on his future. My quick take - if Mercedes doesn't want to promote him to their car, he will find somewhere else that he can compete. But he won't be at Williams.

If they don't believe I deserve it, then they will find me a seat somewhere where I can continue to develop. But I feel like I'm ready to fight for world championships and fight for victories. I feel ready right now to be able to do that, let alone with another year under my belt by the end of this season.

“So, wherever I find myself next year, I want to be in a car that will give me the chance to win races. Because I didn't fight my whole career to get to F1 to be fighting for 15th and 16th.

F1nKS
12th June 2021, 15:30
Rumors of Hamilton contract

1. Mercedes wants it finalized by June 15
2. Contract would be for 2022 with option for 2023
3. 34 Million, doubles if he wins the driving championship

F1nKS
12th June 2021, 15:32
Helmut weights in on Gasly future.

Frenchman Gasly, 25, has been pushing for a return to Red Bull's premier team, and his 2021-2022 contract is designed so that he can theoretically race either for the top outfit or AlphaTauri.

But Marko told Auto Motor und Sport that Gasly is staying put.

"The package fits him perfectly at AlphaTauri," he said. "The combination goes well together.

https://www.f1-fansite.com/f1-news/marko-rejects-gasly-on-his-way-to-alpine-team-rumours/

F1nKS
12th June 2021, 15:40
Russell on when he wants his future decided by

“I haven’t really spoken about it [with Toto], that’s always just been my mindset [to conclude the talks quickly],” said Russell. “It’s in everyone’s best interest. I’m just focused on the here and now really, but I’m sure everything will be sorted no later than the end of the summer break really.

“I think we’d all want a nice summer break off when the season’s this intense, not messing around with contracts!” added Russell, whose Williams squad confirmed this week the departure of Team Principal Simon Roberts. “I know I certainly would anyway. And it gives everybody a bit of clarity… I guess we’ll see in the coming weeks really.”

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/article.driver-market-russell-wants-2022-plans-sorted-no-later-than-the-end-of-the.6vWcqZDPOtEXShBDzXjKXh.html

airshifter
13th June 2021, 21:41
Quoting from the Baku thread so as to take my own advice of us not spamming up that thread!

When l say you are not being fair. I am talking about appreciating the potential of a driver. Yes, there are many unknowns. If Redbull took that sort of perspective to hiring their drivers, Verstappen would still be in Torro Rosso now. Every driver presents each team bosses with a perspective of their potential, given the chance to drive their car. Perez did just that when he won the Bahrain GP and was swiftly hired by Redbull. And he has confirmed that potential by winning the Baku GP.

Note:- Perez is the first driver to win in that 2nd seat at Redbull since Ricciardo. What a relief that must have been for Horner. The curse is broken.

With very little opportunity to showcase his true potential, Russell grasped his one and only opportunity and nearly won the Bahrain GP. A race that did wonders for Perez. My point is, it is not about yardstick measures but measures of potential. And Russell has demonstrated that he has enormous potential.

On Hamilton compared to Verstappen, this scenario is the best possible way to measure the comparative strengths and weaknesses of both drivers. In the same team, Verstappen would have to cope with the in-team politics, the mind games as well as try to beat Hamilton on track. That is not a good scenario for a young challenger to take on a seven-time world champion. However, in the safety and protection of another team, he can focus on his racing and put out his best performances.

We adore Alonso because he beat Seven-time world champion, Michael Schumacher, twice in a Renault. Would he have done so, driving in the second seat at Ferrari? Certainly not. He would be flying too close to the sun and would have been burnt from the experience. To estimate what is possible in the future, we only have "potential" to go on. When it comes down to proving it, there is a myriad of factors that come into play to producing what would actually happen. And the outcome can be different from what we expect. Among those things is crucially luck and good timing which plays a huge role in what transpires for each driver.

Bad timing destroyed Grosjean's career. Albon is paying the price for that very same thing. Gasly was nearly destroyed by it. Thankfully he is recovering well.

No doubt Russell has shown great potential. My main point on that being that it's very limited, since his usual ride is the back of the field, and most likely not driver could change that much.

As for the other scenarios' personally I think it's all assumption until it happens. For all we know Alonso might have made Schumacher look very ordinary, Max might do the same to Lewis, and Gasly would destroy both of them in the same car. We can speculate until we die, but in the end actual facts will always win out. And in most cases if two strong drivers are on a team the team pushes a #1 and #2 scenario at some point, whether it be favoritism or the standings of the first few race results.

As for RB and breaking the curse, I think they probably chose Perez in much the same way as Merc chose Bottas. There is no lack of young drivers with great potential, but having some years under the belt makes "older" drivers a good candidate for the #2 spot when in a strong car. It also limits rivalry within the team and thus team drama.

The rumors are already swirling fairly quickly about Hamilton's contract, as well as the Russel/Bottas swap. Until it happens, we can't be sure. The only thing we can really but sure of is to expect the unexpected, as it happens quite a lot in the F1 driver shuffle.

F1nKS
14th June 2021, 02:39
For those the might care

Kevin Magnussen said he won't come back to F1 unless it is drive for Mercedes or Red Bull.

Meanwhile Nico Rosberg said there is 0% he could be pulled from retirement. He loves his life he's got and does not want the grind of F1.

Nitrodaze
14th June 2021, 16:05
Helmut weights in on Gasly future.

https://www.f1-fansite.com/f1-news/marko-rejects-gasly-on-his-way-to-alpine-team-rumours/
Frenchman Gasly, 25, has been pushing for a return to Red Bull's premier team, and his 2021-2022 contract is designed so that he can theoretically race either for the top outfit or AlphaTauri.

But Marko told Auto Motor und Sport that Gasly is staying put.

"The package fits him perfectly at AlphaTauri," he said. "The combination goes well together.

If that is the best Redbull has to offer Gasly; a car not capable of winning a championship. Of course, he would head elsewhere where the car is better than the Alpha Tauri. I think he is talking out of his backside if he expects Gasly to stay put lol

Nitrodaze
14th June 2021, 16:11
No doubt Russell has shown great potential. My main point on that being that it's very limited

Limited yes. But that is all it takes. That was what put Verstappen in the #1 seat at Redbull. Unlike Vettel that won a race in the Toro Rosso, Verstappen did not win a race with Toro Rosso, but showed enormous potential. Enough to oust Kvyat out of his seat.

Russell nearly won the Bahrain race but for setbacks outside his control. Clearly beating the likes of Verstappen and Leclerc in that race. Which would suggest that Russell would be mighty in the Mercedes.

Gasly on the other hand has won a race with Alpha Tauri [formally Tore Rosso]. Which highlights why he also would be good enough to win a championship, in the right car, in the right team. It would seem such a team is not Redbull.

Nitrodaze
14th June 2021, 21:54
https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/russell-future-beyond-2021-decided-by-summer-break/6525344/

Russel on his future. My quick take - if Mercedes doesn't want to promote him to their car, he will find somewhere else that he can compete. But he won't be at Williams.

I think if Mercedes comes out of the triple-header with a bigger gap than they went into it, and it appears obvious that Bottas has not matched Perez, he would be ousted at the summer break. We could see Russell in the Mercedes for the second half of the season. Mainly because it would be a risk worth taking to catch up to Redbull.

If they do fall behind further at the end of the triple, chances are one of the championships would be as good as lost. I also think, the Hamilton negotiation would not happen until after the triple header. And a points setback for Mercedes and/or Hamilton, going into the negotiation could have a big impact on the outcome of the negotiation.

F1nKS
15th June 2021, 04:56
Sky Italy is saying that Toto has informed Russell team that the decision has been made to promote him to the Mercedes team for 2022.

Nitrodaze
15th June 2021, 06:11
Sky Italy is saying that Toto has informed Russell team that the decision has been made to promote him to the Mercedes team for 2022.

Yep, the rumour is out. And l think it could sooner than 2022 the way things are going for Bottas.

F1nKS
15th June 2021, 22:17
Yep, the rumour is out. And l think it could sooner than 2022 the way things are going for Bottas.

I heard today on a podcast, that they are hearing it will be announced at Silverstone.

gm99
16th June 2021, 07:03
If that is the best Redbull has to offer Gasly; a car not capable of winning a championship. Of course, he would head elsewhere where the car is better than the Alpha Tauri.

But what car would that be? Mercedes I doubt, so that leaves Ferrari (who seem to be rather satisfied with their current pairing of Leclerc and Sainz) and McLaren (where Norris is on a long-term contract and Ricciardo in his first of two years). Aston Martin and Alpine are currently not much better, if at all, than the Alpha Tauri. So Gasly probably won't have many alternatives, at least not for 2022.

Nitrodaze
16th June 2021, 09:50
But what car would that be? Mercedes I doubt, so that leaves Ferrari (who seem to be rather satisfied with their current pairing of Leclerc and Sainz) and McLaren (where Norris is on a long-term contract and Ricciardo in his first of two years). Aston Martin and Alpine are currently not much better, if at all, than the Alpha Tauri. So Gasly probably won't have many alternatives, at least not for 2022.

Probably not, but the future is good for Gasly, he can afford to wait. I would be surprised if he is still at Alpha Tauri in 2023 or 2024 at the very latest.

F1nKS
16th June 2021, 21:20
Ocon signs a 3 year contract with Alpine. Updated the master sheet.

F1nKS
24th June 2021, 22:51
Hamilton confirms that negotiations are under way.

“Valtteri is my team now and we’ve both of us had our ups and downs in our careers,” he said. “But as I said, I think he is a fantastic team mate and I don’t necessarily see that it needs to change.”

airshifter
25th June 2021, 03:49
Hamilton confirms that negotiations are under way.

The Hamilton comments on Bottas seem out of place really IMHO. Is he just hoping to make sure that he never gets someone in the other car that can challenge him, or does he think that his presence on the team demands consideration of his view of who else it on the team?

Considering Merc aren't leading the WCC at the moment, probably not the best timing either way.

I think it would be foolish of Merc to retain Bottas. I hoped he would rebound and get stronger, but in the end he just isn't up to being on the top team. But this F1, and anything can happen.

F1nKS
3rd July 2021, 13:05
Hamilton extends his contract 2 years.

F1nKS
3rd July 2021, 22:39
Russell said he would be with a Mercedes power team....to Mclaren?

The Black Knight
4th July 2021, 10:30
Russell said he would be with a Mercedes power team....to Mclaren?

I think Mercedes would be crazy to not put Russell in a Mercedes car next season. I think Russell is possibly one of the best natural talents to ever enter F1. The only reason I can see that they might not want him in a Mercedes is because it could disrupt team harmony - In qualifying especially, I watch all Russells and Hamilton's fastest qualifying laps onboard and I think Russell may be a better qualifier. The lines he takes are just perfect. It's really hard to pick holes in most of his fastest laps.

Bottas, on the other hand, spun in the pitlane.

F1nKS
4th July 2021, 12:48
I think Mercedes would be crazy to not put Russell in a Mercedes car next season.

I'm almost 99% sure that Russell is going to Mercedes. To much chatter for it not to happen. Russell seems very, very relaxed - like he knows his 2022 future has been decided. They had to get Hamilton deal announced first.

There are rumors of Bottas possibly to Alpha Romeo to replace Kimi...

F1nKS
11th July 2021, 03:22
Reports of Danill Kyyat and Nico Hulkenberg being looked at by Williams for 2022.

So if this is true that means Russell is the decision has been made that Russell is going to Mercedes and Bottas rumors of him going to Alpha Romeo could be true.

The Black Knight
12th July 2021, 19:25
I've heard today through the grapevine that Bottas has been told he will be replaced by Russell next year. He was told to give him time to get a seat for next year. Russell has also been informed but no announcement for a while yet. It makes very little sense for Mercedes to keep Bottas, the rule changes offering the perfect opportunity to change drivers.

We'll see.

F1nKS
13th July 2021, 05:08
I've heard today through the grapevine that Bottas has been told he will be replaced by Russell next year. He was told to give him time to get a seat for next year. Russell has also been informed but no announcement for a while yet. It makes very little sense for Mercedes to keep Bottas, the rule changes offering the perfect opportunity to change drivers.

We'll see.

Marko has weighted in on Red Bull interest in Russell

If Mercedes opted not to promote Russell and he became a free agent, Red Bull would take an interest in swooping in to sign the British driver, according to team advisor Marko.

"Russell is certainly worth considering with the performances he is now showing at Williams,"

Marko said he expects Mercedes to promote Russell to Mercedes team.

F1nKS
21st July 2021, 21:30
Silly season has been slow....but Leclerc responded to rumors

Charles Leclerc has rubbished "gossip" suggesting his management has been in touch with Red Bull.

The reports said the 23-year-old, who is widely regarded as Ferrari's number 1 driver, is disappointed with the Maranello marque's progress and exploring his options for the future.

"It's just rumours - gossip," Leclerc is quoted by Italy 24 News.

Wolff talking in the past tense about Valtteri....

"If there is a situation where we want to give someone else a chance, it's not just about my relationship with him. It's my responsibility to make sure he has a great future because he deserves it." Remarkably, Wolff is even talking about Bottas in the past tense. "He has been the teammate of the best F1 driver in history and then it is not always easy to shine. But he has been fantastic."

I'm also hoping that the lack of news at Haas means Schumacher is maybe going to another team next year.

F1nKS
22nd July 2021, 02:58
Toto Wolff says he will do what he can to enable Valtteri Bottas to have a "great future" in Formula 1.

https://www.news24.com/wheels/formulaone/toto-wolff-gives-clearest-indication-yet-that-valtteri-bottas-will-be-replaced-20210719

joe1888cfc
22nd July 2021, 11:57
https://www.news24.com/wheels/formulaone/toto-wolff-gives-clearest-indication-yet-that-valtteri-bottas-will-be-replaced-20210719
That's it he's off

Actually getting sick of the sight of this pathetic loser. Williams was his level.

Nitrodaze
22nd July 2021, 17:01

We'll see.

Since he is clearly now playing number two duties live providing slipstream and being instructed to not race Hamilton clearly indicates that he has one foot out of the door at Mercedes. He simply has been nowhere this season. Almost as though he has not recovered from Russell beating him at Bahrain. This is like Van Doorne on Button at Mclaren. His confidence is no longer there. As a result, his speed has evaporated.

airshifter
23rd July 2021, 02:21
Ralf Schumacher has claimed now that Max was offered a ride at Merc, and that is what caused the delay with the Hamilton contract extension.

I would laugh even harder if crazier things haven't happened in Formula 1.

Nitrodaze
23rd July 2021, 05:16
Ralf Schumacher has claimed now that Max was offered a ride at Merc, and that is what caused the delay with the Hamilton contract extension.

Anything is possible in F1. Jos Verstappen was saying stuff that suggests there were talks with Mercedes. I think Marko's overtures towards Russell is probably a reaction to that. But l doubt it.

It would be a mistake if they make a move for Verstappen at the expense of losing Russell. As Russell would come back and bite them hard later on.

The Black Knight
23rd July 2021, 06:40

I find this hard to believe. I also doubt Ralf Schumacher would know if Verstappen was offered a contract or not. Anyway, Considering how good Russell is I don't think Mercedes have any fear of missing out on Verstappen.

djip
23rd July 2021, 07:30
I find this hard to believe. I also doubt Ralf Schumacher would know if Verstappen was offered a contract or not. Anyway, Considering how good Russell is I don't think Mercedes have any fear of missing out on Verstappen.

Signing Lewis for 2 years was the final piece to get Russell in and let him get up to speed quietly whilst the maestro's carreer winds down. Russell is the future at Mercedes
(note : He will have to train hard to get to better starts. His trend of losing 3-4 positions at every (re)start is worrysome. Aside from that, no flaws...).

The Black Knight
23rd July 2021, 08:31
Signing Lewis for 2 years was the final piece to get Russell in and let him get up to speed quietly whilst the maestro's carreer winds down. Russell is the future at Mercedes
(note : He will have to train hard to get to better starts. His trend of losing 3-4 positions at every (re)start is worrysome. Aside from that, no flaws...).

I'm really interested to see how qualifying will go between the two. I think Hamilton will have a hard time against Russell. His fastest qualifying laps are impeccable in that Williams and have been for a very long time.

Nitrodaze
23rd July 2021, 11:32
I'm really interested to see how qualifying will go between the two. I think Hamilton will have a hard time against Russell. His fastest qualifying laps are impeccable in that Williams and have been for a very long time.

This would be Rosberg Vs Schumacher all over again. I think Russell would be mighty in the Mercedes. This is why Verstappen need to win the title this season. He may be going up against a driver hungrier and more talented than him next season.

Nitrodaze
23rd July 2021, 11:37

Maybe, Hamiton would retire after he wins his eighth worlds championship. This is proving to be his hardest challenge yet. Mainly because the younger drivers are all coming of age now. Russell in a Mercedes seems quite a sure thing only if Mercedes do not make a move for Verstappen.

F1nKS
23rd July 2021, 12:19

Schumacher has a theory on Hamilton signing a new deal for his current team though and believes they really wanted Verstappen.

"For me, [Hamilton's] contract extension fundamentally means that Max [Verstappen] rejected Mercedes," Schumacher said in an interview with 'Sport Bild'.

"I believe that Mercedes had placed all their hopes on signing Verstappen, with the aim of completely securing his future.

"That idea wasn't possible, and in my opinion, Lewis [Hamilton] was the only alternative."

odd, he says he has a theory but doesn't say if he actually had any knowledge? Who does Ralph align with? Is more friends with Mercedes or with Verstappen dad? Seem like there is an agenda here to stir the pot, but not sure from what direction.

Nitrodaze
23rd July 2021, 14:23
odd, he says he has a theory but doesn't say if he actually had any knowledge? Who does Ralph align with? Is more friends with Mercedes or with Verstappen dad? Seem like there is an agenda here to stir the pot, but not sure from what direction.

It was just his opinion. He is entitled to one.

Nitrodaze
23rd July 2021, 14:27

We'll see.

That would not surprise me at all. Bottas out of contract poses a problem for most of the midfield seats. Especially for Ricciardo at Mclaren, Perez at Redbull but most likely he would head back to Williams.

Nitrodaze
24th July 2021, 15:12
Everyone assumes the Bottas seat is going to Russell with no real competition from anywhere. This may be incorrect. 2019 F2 champion Nick De Vries is catching Toto Woolfs attention. The diminutive dutchman is impressing in Formula-E and Toto was there to watch him at work in London.

As Ocon did for the career of Wehrlien, and Russell did for Ocon, Nick De Vries looks set to do the same to Russell if he does not get announced as the replacement for Bottas this season. The real attraction of De Vries is the similarity of his driving style to that of Verstappen. Crazy braveness in duels for position and bloody fast. He has the aggressive edge that we see in Verstappen and l think that would fascinate Toto.

Does Russell have anything to worry about? I think very likely. Nick De Vries is definitely a threat to his chance of landing the Mercedes drive that is becoming vacant.

F1nKS
24th July 2021, 22:43
It was just his opinion. He is entitled to one.

FWIW, a quick investigation showed that:

a. Ralph and Jos V. are good friends, as well with the Schumacher family.

b. Max referred to Michael S. as uncle

therefore, it can be concluded Ralph was just stirring the pot against Mercedes. Letting it be known that Mercedes actually preferred Max for the future than Hamilton.

F1nKS
24th July 2021, 23:05
Pierre Gasly asked if outside teams have shown interested

“Yes, interest. I’m trying my best, showing my potential, giving my best with AlphaTauri and I think what we are doing at the moment is very good.

“We’ll see going forward what are the most attractive options we have. Ultimately it goes down to Red Bull and discussing with them what we do together going forward.”

“I don’t know what is the will of Helmut and whether they want to take me back, whether they want me to stay in AlphaTauri, whether they are willing to release me to another team.”

djip
25th July 2021, 07:41
Does Russell have anything to worry about? I think very likely. Nick De Vries is definitely a threat to his chance of landing the Mercedes drive that is becoming vacant.

You may be true but i highly doubt toto would put him straight into the A-team. Too much risk. Pushing for a seat in a "friendly" B-Team to get him polish his skills and get ready for when Lewis retires would make more sense.

Nitrodaze
25th July 2021, 07:53
You may be true but i highly doubt toto would put him straight into the A-team. Too much risk. Pushing for a seat in a "friendly" B-Team to get him polish his skills and get ready for when Lewis retires would make more sense.

But it might delay their decision on Russell, as they may want to compare the data of both of them before making a decision. Kinda what happened with Wehrlien and Ocon.

F1nKS
25th July 2021, 18:58
But it might delay their decision on Russell, as they may want to compare the data of both of them before making a decision. Kinda what happened with Wehrlien and Ocon.

The Decision on Russell has already been made. It is a open secret and Mercedes is just waiting for the appropriate timing.

F1nKS
27th July 2021, 11:44
Newest talk is Bottas to Alpha Romeo. Nick Devries to Williams after Mercedes announces Russell.

Nitrodaze
27th July 2021, 14:17
The Decision on Russell has already been made. It is a open secret and Mercedes is just waiting for the appropriate timing.

Well, l hope so. Mercedes has shafted all of their junior drivers in the past.

Nitrodaze
27th July 2021, 14:20
Newest talk is Bottas to Alpha Romeo. Nick Devries to Williams after Mercedes announces Russell.

I doubt Alfa Romeo, Mick Schumacher is going into Kimi's seat l hear. I think they still want to hang on to Giovinazzi.

pantealex
27th July 2021, 15:31
I doubt Alfa Romeo, Mick Schumacher is going into Kimi's seat l hear. I think they still want to hang on to Giovinazzi.

and where is Kimi going ;)

Nitrodaze
27th July 2021, 16:40
and where is Kimi going ;)

The last interview Kimi gave seems to suggest that he is ready to retire. Which would not surprise me really.After all, Alfa is not an exciting drive for him. But if he wants to stay, l also doubt Bottas or Schumacher would be going to Alfa Romeo.

F1nKS
27th July 2021, 22:37

I was kind of expecting that, but then I read Ralf say that Alfa Romeo was not a better option. But there has been "still finalizing contract details" - so I could still see it happening.

Nitrodaze
28th July 2021, 04:04
I was kind of expecting that, but then I read Ralf say that Alfa Romeo was not a better option. But there has been "still finalizing contract details" - so I could still see it happening.

The Alfa Romeo is a better car than the Haas, a Ferrari seat is not going to be available to him for a few seasons yet. So l think he would be grateful for the Alfa seat if offered. As it is still on the Ferrari path.

F1nKS
28th July 2021, 16:31
The Alfa Romeo is a better car than the Haas, a Ferrari seat is not going to be available to him for a few seasons yet. So l think he would be grateful for the Alfa seat if offered. As it is still on the Ferrari path.

Obviously Alpha Romeo is better this year, but what will it be like next year?

I think Williams is likely the team that will surprise next year, but Haas could also because they have put all their eggs in the 2022 season [basket]. Or it will go very wrong.

Nitrodaze
29th July 2021, 08:59
Obviously Alpha Romeo is better this year, but what will it be like next year?

I think Williams is likely the team that will surprise next year, but Haas could also because they have put all their eggs in the 2022 season [basket]. Or it will go very wrong.

The Ferrari group owns Alfa Romeo as well. So you can be sure they would have a good 2022 car with the knowledge shared from the parent team. Haas has to buy in the knowledge or go it alone. Chances are they have gone their own way and may turn up with a brilliant chassis. But if one has to bet, one would bet that Alfa would have a better chassis in 2022 than the Haas.

F1nKS
7th August 2021, 15:21
Rumors still going strong that Bottas is negotiating with Alpha and the Russell has signed a contract (awhile back actually) with Mercedes.

airshifter
7th August 2021, 16:41
Jacques Villeneuve is still hammering on that Bottas could go to Aston Martin, and Stroll would end up next to Lewis. The idea being that Lewis would be more comfortable with a lesser driver on the team, and the ties between Lawrence Stroll and Wolff are strong. He doesn't really go into where this would leave Russell, who no doubt would still be looking to change seats.

https://beyondtheflag.com/2021/08/06/formula-1-shock-replacement-candidate-emerging-mercedes/

F1nKS
7th August 2021, 18:31
Jacques Villeneuve is still hammering on that Bottas could go to Aston Martin, and Stroll would end up next to Lewis. The idea being that Lewis would be more comfortable with a lesser driver on the team, and the ties between Lawrence Stroll and Wolff are strong. He doesn't really go into where this would leave Russell, who no doubt would still be looking to change seats.

https://beyondtheflag.com/2021/08/06/formula-1-shock-replacement-candidate-emerging-mercedes/

That would make this really the "silly season". Can you imagine the twitter/f1 podcast meltdown that would happen if this actually happen.

airshifter
18th August 2021, 19:54
Marko won't mention any names, but states that RB has "several" potential candidates. He has also now said that the announcement for both teams will take place by Spa or possibly Zandvoort at the latest. It will be interesting to see which way they go, as they seem to like the idea of the younger up and coming drivers.

Personally I think they are their own worst enemy with the driver swapping. If they left anyone in the car from Danny Ric to now, they probably would have came to grips with the car and been a solid #2, at least on par with Bottas in results.

F1nKS
18th August 2021, 21:46
Marko won't mention any names, but states that RB has "several" potential candidates. He has also now said that the announcement for both teams will take place by Spa or possibly Zandvoort at the latest. It will be interesting to see which way they go, as they seem to like the idea of the younger up and coming drivers.

Personally I think they are their own worst enemy with the driver swapping. If they left anyone in the car from Danny Ric to now, they probably would have came to grips with the car and been a solid #2, at least on par with Bottas in results.

seems like they are leaning "status quo"

"In principle, we want to maintain the existing pairings. But that takes time because we always consider all of the relevant factors," Marko added.

I'm not sure who they could really contemplate replacing Perez with? I would still take Perez over Gasly.

F1nKS
20th August 2021, 18:19
Perez looks to be back (not officially just yet)

Red Bull boss Christian Horner has dropped a hint over his team's 2022 driver line-up and suggested that Sergio Perez will be staying put, with him happy with the Mexican's performances this season.

https://www.givemesport.com/1740577-formula-1-christian-horner-drops-sergio-perez-future-hint-ahead-of-2022

This makes sense as really there is limited choices:

1. Gasly
2. Hulkenberg
3. Bottas
4. Albon

Perez at this point is a better option than any of these guys.

F1nKS
22nd August 2021, 19:29
Toto Wolff had said they wanted to make the decision during summer break now he is saying it maybe delayed till September.

“I want the topic settled in September so both of them can position themselves properly for the coming season," he added.

Earlier this week Wolff said that whoever missed out on the race seat at Brackley would still have plenty of top options elsewhere.

https://f1i.com/news/415271-wolff-hints-at-delay-to-mercedes-driver-decision.html

Bagwan
22nd August 2021, 19:46
I'm 6 ft. 3 , so I am not in the running .

Sorry .

Firstgear
24th August 2021, 19:15
They won't make an announcement until the championship is pretty much decided one way or the other, as they need Bottas to perform to the best of his abilities. After that they'll cut him loose, and welcome George.

airshifter
24th August 2021, 19:52
They won't make an announcement until the championship is pretty much decided one way or the other, as they need Bottas to perform to the best of his abilities. After that they'll cut him loose, and welcome George.

This was my thinking. If you axe the guy before the WCC is wrapped up, performance might go down even more.

F1nKS
26th August 2021, 21:30
Latest speculation on the Mercedes second seat is the decision has been made, but they are delaying to announce where Bottas is going due to request by that team - who wants to announce their driver lineup in September.

The racing team in which the losing driver will be placed would like to announce their team for 2022 in September.

Thus, the decision for the second driver may have already been made by Mercedes, but the timing of the announcement depends on, for example, Williams or Alfa Romeo, to whom Bottas is linked, among others. The drivers themselves seem to know more, but they will have to keep their mouths shut for the time being.

https://www.gpblog.com/en/news/92165/amus-this-is-why-mercedes-are-waiting-to-announce-their-second-driver.html

airshifter
27th August 2021, 13:05
Perez confirmed for 2022.

gm99
28th August 2021, 20:43
Albon now appears to be looking at Indycar for next season and was seen at the Indianapolis GP a fortnight ago.

F1nKS
1st September 2021, 03:50
https://www.racefans.net/2021/08/31/albon-and-de-vries-to-gain-f1-seats-from-russells-mercedes-move-giovinazzi-loses-out/

They are reporting

Russel to Mercedes
Albon to Williams
Bottas to Alpha Romeo
De Vries to Alpha Romeo

pantealex
1st September 2021, 17:39
https://www.instagram.com/p/CTSUHnoDG4L/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

KIMI is officially out.

Mia 01
1st September 2021, 18:13
This is a sad day for me. I have rooting for im since 2001 and now, he quits at the end of the season.
I hope he will do some rallye or indycar so I can keep follow him.

Thanks for everything Kimi. Kitos!

The Black Knight
1st September 2021, 21:16
This is a sad day for me. I have rooting for im since 2001 and now, he quits at the end of the season.
I hope he will do some rallye or indycar so I can keep follow him.

Thanks for everything Kimi. Kitos!

Kimi deserves respect. Onto new pastures. Never my favourite driver by any means but I wish him the best in whatever he does moving forward.

F1nKS
2nd September 2021, 20:42
Hamilton talking about Russell

"At the moment I have to be super supportive of the team-mate that I have right now, so that’s why I’m always supportive of Valtteri because we have a job to do right now and neither of us can win the team championship alone, we have to do it collectively.

"But he [Russell] is the future, he’s one of the members of the future of the sport. He’s already shown incredible driving so far. I’m sure it’s going to continue to grow.

"Where better to do it than a great team like this – or whatever team he goes to."

Sure seems like a done deal...

The Black Knight
5th September 2021, 09:52
https://youtu.be/YNQwvM20sRE

Daniel Ricciardo and Horner congratulate Russell on his new Mercedes deal. It's like the worst kept secret in F1 right now.

F1nKS
6th September 2021, 13:47
Bottas move finally announced - Alfa for multi-deal

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/article.breaking-alfa-romeo-announce-valtteri-bottas-to-join-the-team-in-2022-on.6Ezs9zhh2jV1ceMcHs3e4S.html

Can only mean one thing - Alex Albon to Mercedes. That is why TOTO wants him out of his Red Bull contract.

F1nKS
6th September 2021, 17:15
Nyck De Vries supposedly has signed a F1 contract. It is believed it will be to join Bottas as his teammate.

The Black Knight
7th September 2021, 09:08
It's official Russell to Mercedes for 2022:

https://twitter.com/mercedesamgf1/status/1435165962202923011?s=21

Bagwan
7th September 2021, 14:50
It was looking like Albon to Williams , and De Vries to AR , but now the opposite idea is floating around .
Meanwhile , Mazepin , apparently , is tweeting cryptic messages that hint that he will be the one to get the second seat at AR .

F1nKS
7th September 2021, 15:55
It was looking like Albon to Williams , and De Vries to AR , but now the opposite idea is floating around .
Meanwhile , Mazepin , apparently , is tweeting cryptic messages that hint that he will be the one to get the second seat at AR .

I have also seen that the Chinese are trying to "pay" to get Zhou into the AR seat. Which might explain why Toto has been trying to stop Albon from getting the Williams seat so they can put De Vries there.

I suspect who ever brings the biggest suitcase of $$$$ will get the seat(s).

Zico
8th September 2021, 17:54
Albon now confirmed for Williams, sounds like he owes Russell a favour for Russell putting a good word in for him.

It appears that Red Bull may have had to officially release him to stop Merc putting the brakes on the move.

airshifter
8th September 2021, 21:19
Now the big question for all the changes.... will the "young guns" all be allowed to race the elders on the respective teams, and if so which ones are in for a real fight?

With the car changes coming next year, it seems a good time to make changes. Nobody will really have the upper hand on getting accustomed to the new cars, and with rules changes even the big teams sometimes get it wrong. Though it appears Merc have really focused more on next year.... we don't know for sure until the car is on track.

And I'm glad Albon came back. RB played seat swap so quick for a while there that some good drivers got shuffled out. And more talent is always a good thing.

F1nKS
9th September 2021, 17:53
I'm glad to see Albon get the Williams seat. I think Red Bull made a mistake not sticking with him for this year. I'm also glad that Red Bull got to keep "options" for Albon.

I'm hoping that Williams will be able to at least become a good mid-field team next year.

F1nKS
15th September 2021, 20:17
Oddly Vettel still hasn't been confirmed yet for 2022. Stroll when asked this week said:

Aston Martin executive chairman Lawrence Stroll indicated on Monday that Vettel is expected to remain at the team next year.

Asked about the world champion’s future Stroll said: “You will be getting an answer to that imminently and all indications are saying yes.”

https://www.racefans.net/2021/09/15/racefans-round-up-15-09-4/

Rumors were it was not Aston Martin holding this up, but Vettel deciding if he wanted to retire.

truefan72
16th September 2021, 18:11
Oddly Vettel still hasn't been confirmed yet for 2022. Stroll when asked this week said:

https://www.racefans.net/2021/09/15/racefans-round-up-15-09-4/

Rumors were it was not Aston Martin holding this up, but Vettel deciding if he wanted to retire.

That is an interesting twist.
Vettel retiring will cause another silly season Frenzy.
I'd say Devries or Vandoorn would be contenders for that seat.
Ideally, Hulkenberg should be in that seat

The Black Knight
16th September 2021, 19:14
We've another year or two of Vettel I reckon. I think he's being made look better this year because Stroll is so bad. It would be nice if he regained his mojo proper. I remain unconvinced he has.

F1nKS
16th September 2021, 19:35
Vettel/Stroll confirmed for 2022.

Haas is pretty much confirmed except they have not announced formerly

AR is the only remaining seat to be announced (unless a Haas driver is trying to get to AR - which there has been some rumors)

https://www.racefans.net/2021/09/16/vettel-keeps-aston-martin-seat-alongside-stroll-for-2022-season/

F1nKS
16th November 2021, 23:31
Silly Season Committments

Mercedes 1: Hamilton (2023)
Mercedes 2: Russell (2023?)

Red Bull 1: Verstappen (2023)
Red Bull 2: Perez (2022)

McClaren 1: Norris (2023?)
McClaren 2: Riciardo (2023)

Ferrari 1: Leclerc (2024)
Ferrari 2: Sainz (2022)

Alpine 1: Alonso (2022)
Alpine 2: Ocon (2024)

Aston Martin 1: Vettel (2022)
Aston Martin 2: Stroll (2022)

Alpha Tauri 1: Gasly (2023)
Alpha Tauri 2: Yuki (2022)

Williams 1: Albon (2022?)
Williams 2: Latifi (2022?)

Haas 1: Schumacher (2022?)
Haas 2: Mazepin (2022? )

Alpha Romeo 1: Bottas (2023)
Alpha Romeo 2: Zhou (2022?)

It not clear yet if Zhou is a multi-year contract or not (it is reported he was demanding one).