PDA

View Full Version : 56. Renties Ypres Rally Belgium 2021

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

Eli
5th April 2021, 19:36
Just out by PlanetMarcus: http://planetemarcus.com/saison-wrc/wrc-rallye-belgique-2021/

20 Stages (including Night Time ones) accumulating to 310.92kms of competitive action.
Fingers crossed we get all 20 stages (in their entirety).

Mirek
5th April 2021, 19:53
Just out by PlanetMarcus: http://planetemarcus.com/saison-wrc/wrc-rallye-belgique-2021/

20 Stages (including Night Time ones) accumulating to 310.92kms of competitive action.
Fingers crossed we get all 20 stages (in their entirety).

The start of the latest stage is 10 minutes before sunset and it's a 5 minute-long stage. It will be dark probably only for Rally2, 3 and later (of course it depends on the cloud cover as well).

Eli
5th April 2021, 19:56
The start of the latest stage is 10 minutes before sunset and it's a 5 minute-long stage. It will be dark probably only for Rally2, 3 and later (of course it depends on the cloud cover as well).

Yes I looked it up and was a bit disappointed, for now though, I really hope it will run smoothly and go straight ahead with no stages being cancelled before or during the event.

Mirek
5th April 2021, 20:08
Yes I looked it up and was a bit disappointed, for now though, I really hope it will run smoothly and go straight ahead with no stages being cancelled before or during the event.

I'm always confused with how long days are there because while here in Prague we have the same time zone it's 1000 km to the east :)

Eli
5th April 2021, 20:18
I'm always confused with how long days are there because while here in Prague we have the same time zone it's 1000 km to the east :)

Long enough for the event to have barely one night stage ;) If it will switch to it's usual slot of Mid-June, then, even longer as the sun sets over there after 10PM.

Mirek
5th April 2021, 20:21
Long enough for the event to have barely one night stage ;) If it will switch to it's usual slot of Mid-June, then, even longer as the sun sets over there after 10PM.

I know, I come regularly there ;)

Eli
5th April 2021, 20:39
I know, I come regularly there ;)

Would love to see it too with my own eyes, guessing it's more a question of when and not if ;)

Mirek
19th April 2021, 10:42
If fans are allowed under ongoing covid restrictions it will be interesting how the organisers go about accommodating them. From my visits in the ERC days the amount of red and white tape was amazing and lead to spectators playing cat and mouse with the helicopter to try and get a decent view! With the start in the centre of town it has the potential to look great on tv/online but that may be spoilt by acres of taped off no stand zones.

I don't know when you were there but during my visits between 2010 and 2019 the safety level kept relaxing from year to year and I dare to say it was quite free in my last edition.

tommeke_B
19th April 2021, 15:28
First we'll have to see if this event is going to take place... The organizers are doing what they can, obviously. But so far all big events are cancelled this summer, and I only see the event happening if (a lot of) spectators are allowed. The Ypres Rally relies on entry tickets to pay it's rally, not on government funding like many others.

EstWRC
19th April 2021, 15:41
lol your message isnt very hopeful

tommeke_B
19th April 2021, 15:44
lol your message isnt very hopeful

It's maybe not hopeful, but realistic. The organizers can do all their best, but if the government isn't allowing it (like last year), it's not happening.

AndyRAC
19th April 2021, 16:02
At the moment I wouldn't be too hopeful; the cycling Spring classics have taken place in Belgium without fans (as did the Cyclocross race season in Belgium). If fans still aren't allowed by the rally time - then it's not happening

Being optimistic - things can change, and one hopes they will.

EstWRC
28th June 2021, 08:13
A long way to go still to this rally but...

we know for sure that Ogier will definitely start 1st even if he gets 0 from Estonia.

Evans from second seems also quite sure, although Thierry has a chance to pass him but that would require another very bad result from Evans.

Now it gets very interesting, because who sill start from 3rd and onwards on the road is very open, Tänak is just 8 points away from Neuville and Taka is 11 points away from him and Kalle is 21 points away.

so Rally Estonia result will be pretty crucial considering starting positions 3 and onwards.

MartijnS
29th June 2021, 14:21
It looks spectators can go anywhere they want, however you need to show a negative covid test or EU Covid vaccin passport when changing e-ticket to the real ticket.

MentalParadox
30th June 2021, 19:06
Is it possible to buy tickets yet?

Their website is a mess to navigate. How very Belgian.

MartijnS
30th June 2021, 20:16
No, not yet.

MartijnS
2nd July 2021, 07:52
Tickets for sale now. Very expensive though.

Ticket for Monday test: 12 euro
Ticket for Thursday non prio shakedown: 18 euro
Ticket for Friday prio shakedown: 25 euro
Ticket for half the stages of the rally: 98 euro

bomber21
2nd July 2021, 08:14
WOW! This is pricey!

AnttiL
8th July 2021, 09:27
Breen on 3rd Hyundai

Integrale
15th July 2021, 11:51
Catastrophic floods in large parts of Belgium, the Netherlands and Germany. Search and rescue operations ongoing in lots of cities and villages. Also the area around the circuit Spa-Francorchamps is hit hard (Sunday stages Ypres Rally). The village of Spa is flooded. There's damage to the supporting infrastructure of the circuit and also the road from Blanchimont to the paddock has collapsed. The circuit organisation has said that they will prepare the circuit for this weekend already, but I don't know if the rest of the roads will be affected. Anyhow, terrible events right now in a beautiful part of the country. I just hope everyone stays safe there.

https://twitter.com/DerJungeAutor/status/1415600842393231367?s=20

https://cdn-1.motorsport.com/images/amp/YW7ynz1Y/s6/whatsapp-image-2021-07-15-at-1.jpg

AnttiL
15th July 2021, 12:47
:( in situations like this, rallying is not important anymore.

Did the actual Ypres area suffer as well?

denkimi
15th July 2021, 13:17

No, nothing out of the ordinary around ypres itself.

AnttiL
20th July 2021, 09:37
Suninen with Rally2

skarderud
20th July 2021, 09:53
Oliver S to debut the Hyundai Rally2!

Sent fra min SM-G950F via Tapatalk

dupanton
20th July 2021, 10:46

It even stayed dried here while the other side of the country had more than 100L/m² of rain in 24 hours...

mknight
20th July 2021, 11:18
Suninen with Rally2

So contrary to what he said after PS in Estonia. (though I don't recall if they asked "When will we see you in WRC again? Or "WRC car".)

It's logical for Fourmaux (if he is driving WRC), on tarmac he has good speed already so might as well drive WRC.

If Suninen doesn't drive a single rally on tarmac with WRC he can't show his speed on it though. But so far he is not showing speed on gravel in WRC either and that's a bigger issue.

pantealex
20th July 2021, 14:44
Oliver S to debut the Hyundai Rally2!

Huttunen has more WRC2 points than Oliver...

so Jari H to debut the Hyundai Rally2! ;)

dupanton
26th July 2021, 10:18
108 entries for the first Belgian WRC event ever :)

Edit: biggest entry since Corsica 2015

Tom K
26th July 2021, 10:24
List is published or just small info as an appetizer?:D

dupanton
26th July 2021, 10:26
No list yet, info from a local newspaper

denkimi
26th July 2021, 12:04
https://www.rallylovers.be/nb/11885/Update-voorlopige-deelnemerslijst-Renties-Ypres-Rally

pantealex
26th July 2021, 13:45
https://www.rallylovers.be/nb/11885/Update-voorlopige-deelnemerslijst-Renties-Ypres-Rally

+ JWRC drivers.

mousti
26th July 2021, 14:50
Only 5 WRC2 entrants, Huttunen, Solberg, Suninen, Kristensson and Gryazin.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn M2007J3SG met Tapatalk

!ADi!
28th July 2021, 13:09
Hi all.

Do you know, where I can find maps of the stages? Because we can only buy a ticket for 5 stages, so it would be nice to make a better choice. I have only found some info about the historic rally on the Ypres rally site but nothing about WRC.

The second thing, is there some kind of market with good spectating spots? ;)

Third thing, I didn't find any information about spectating zones, so it means that you have to enter the stage via some kind of checkpoint and later go wherever you want?

Sorry for my lame questions but I will visit Belgium for the first time.

PS Is there, anyone, from Poland that plans to go and spectate?

dupanton
29th July 2021, 16:38
Seeded entry-list should be published tomorrow.

Tom K
30th July 2021, 10:11
https://mailchi.mp/ypresrally/renties-ypres-rally-2021-wrc10-8427929

List at the bottom.

mousti
30th July 2021, 10:29
Quite weak Rally 2 list. No Ciamin and Ingram? There were more than 40 Rally2's announced in a newspaper that has sources from the organisation. Seems obvious that most already know that Ypres has no future in the WRC..

Fast Eddie WRC
30th July 2021, 11:12
No entry for Ingram is a bit of a surprise, especially with him being with SXM Competition who are a Belgian team.

mousti
30th July 2021, 15:50
No entry for Ingram is a bit of a surprise, especially with him being with SXM Competition who are a Belgian team.Yes he announced it also in the beginning that he would do it. Belgian team, partners who has ties in Belgium and lots of experience aswell. Ciamin announced aswell he would start in Ypres and would prepare him at Staden for Ypres. Quite weird ...

dimviii
30th July 2021, 17:03
Planetemarcus
@planetemarcus
·
5m
#WRC New codriver for Katsuta in #YpresRallyBelgium : Keaton Williams replaces Barritt for medical reasons ► https://bit.ly/3C0mOXK

dupanton
30th July 2021, 19:51
I saw Katsuta today on his test, wasn't very impressive I have to say...

mknight
30th July 2021, 21:28
Biggest (=largest) yes, but in terms of quality it's not very good in WRC and bad in WRC2 especially.
WRC has no "surprises" or gentleman drivers.

WRC2 with 5 cars is the weakest entry of the season besides Kenya (which got ignored). Specifically I was expecting some French guys to show up (Camilli, Bonato).

Toksport (and partly Østberg) ran as many events as possible early to avoid Hyundai and Hyundai postponed starts to wait for new car.
So we get people fighting for championship by not meeting each other....

Both Toksport and Østberg are going to Greece and both have to keep one slot for Japan cause the rules require one round outside of Europe. (Guess that if Japan gets cancelled FIA reduces number of points scoring events by one). Østberg will surely want to do Finland as his extra round. At Hyundai I guess Huttunen skips Catalunya, so entry list in Spain might be like 3 cars (Solberg, Gryazin (if he goes) and Fourmaux or Suninen)

For Toksport I guess Bulacia (and his teampoints) made the decision since he will likely do better in Greece than in Ypres. Also August is holiday in Germany.

the sniper
30th July 2021, 22:39
I saw Katsuta today on his test, wasn't very impressive I have to say...

I feel like he'll be way out of his comfort zone on this rally.

dimviii
31st July 2021, 09:56
Mads Østberg
@MadsOstberg

Replying to @BjornStorme @HartusvuoriWRC and 2 others
I will be there, but behind the mic @OfficialWRC this time

Fast Eddie WRC
31st July 2021, 11:37
Yes he announced it also in the beginning that he would do it. Belgian team, partners who has ties in Belgium and lots of experience aswell. Ciamin announced aswell he would start in Ypres and would prepare him at Staden for Ypres. Quite weird ...

Maybe due to lots of highly-experienced local driver's listed as WRC3 - very tough to beat on their own roads.

AnttiL
31st July 2021, 12:11
WRC2 with 5 cars is the weakest entry of the season besides Kenya (which got ignored). Specifically I was expecting some French guys to show up (Camilli, Bonato).

Bonato is in WRC3 this year, as are Rossel and Ciamin. Camilli would have been a WRC2 entrant.

denkimi
31st July 2021, 14:02
Maybe due to lots of highly-experienced local driver's listed as WRC3 - very tough to beat on their own roads.
This. I wouldn't be supprised to see a full belgium podium in rc2.

Usually its a battle of attrition. Half of them will end up in a ditch.

pantealex
31st July 2021, 16:44
This. I wouldn't be supprised to see a full belgium podium in rc2.

Usually its a battle of attrition. Half of them will end up in a ditch.

I still don´t see locals faster than WRC2 crews.

For WRC3 all Belgium Top3 is possible.

tommeke_B
31st July 2021, 17:18
I think Munster, Fernémont, Princen and probably De Mevius could be in the fight for Rally2-podium. My guess is at least 3 of the 5 WRC2-drivers will end up in a ditch. All are discovering Ypres. What's difficult in Ypres is what you can't see. ;)

dupanton
31st July 2021, 17:19

Maybe not faster, but it's the end of the rally that counts ;)

denkimi
31st July 2021, 21:15

I've seen many ypres rally's by now. I've seen many big names pass by, and only very few have been able to follow the locals.

Only wrc level drivers like breen, meeke or neuville have been able to beat the locals the last couple of years. And off those, i think only meeke could do it on his first try.

But perhaps the lack of rhitm could be a big problem, since we have had next to no rally's here this year.

We'll see in a few weeks.

Ucci
1st August 2021, 11:06
I've seen many ypres rally's by now. I've seen many big names pass by, and only very few have been able to follow the locals.

Only wrc level drivers like breen, meeke or neuville have been able to beat the locals the last couple of years. And off those, i think only meeke could do it on his first try.

We'll see in a few weeks.

It not couple of years since victory of Luca Rossetti (2007-IRC), but still his achivement was astonishing for beenig 1st time on this event......

dupanton
1st August 2021, 15:19
It not couple of years since victory of Luca Rossetti (2007-IRC), but still his achivement was astonishing for beenig 1st time on this event......

Not that I want to minimise his performance, but he only did 1 scratch, 2x 2nd, 1x 3th time on whole of the event. He was clever enough not to make any mistakes nor have a puncture. That is an achievement and what gave him the victory. Not outright pace.

er88
1st August 2021, 16:17
That Meeke vs Loix fight was great to follow.

PLuto
2nd August 2021, 11:32
Not that I want to minimise his performance, but he only did 1 scratch, 2x 2nd, 1x 3th time on whole of the event. He was clever enough not to make any mistakes nor have a puncture. That is an achievement and what gave him the victory. Not outright pace.

In Ypres it is crucial to stay on the road and not to make any mistakes :D

Jarek Z
2nd August 2021, 16:06

... or you will end up like this ;)
https://www.motorsportforums.com/showthread.php?40953-WRC-Belgium-Ypres-rally&p=1253498&viewfull=1#post1253498

dupanton
2nd August 2021, 20:37

That is crucial on every rally. Only in Ypres (or Belgium in general) stages are narrow and there are very little places where you can get away with a small mistake.

Will be interesting to see how the best drivers in the world will handle the stages, but for sure a lot of really good drivers have failed to get a (good) result on their first attempt in the past.

becher
5th August 2021, 16:22
Hello, I've been reading this forum for a few years now but never registered, however I'm planning a trip to Ypres (and combine it with a multi day bike tour) and have a few questions here. I want to buy tickets for individual stages on Friday and Saturday as I can't go to Spa and do full stage hopping with the bicycle. Could you guys give me any advice which stages are the best to watch? Also any news if there are going to be spectator zones like in Estonia (I guess spectator zones wouldn't allow one to bring his bicycle along)?

MartijnS
5th August 2021, 17:40
No spectator zones. Full stage can be visited.

becher
5th August 2021, 21:57
No spectator zones. Full stage can be visited.

Thanks, sounds good.

MentalParadox
6th August 2021, 00:08
Still on the fence if I should buy a ticket or not. I've never visited a WRC rally by myself before and I'm very stressed about where to drive, where to park and from where to spectate. Anyone have any tips? The rally page STILL doesn't have a map available for spectators, and the event is starting next week...

EstWRC
6th August 2021, 05:23
Definitely go man. Last chance to see these amazing cars in the hands of best drivers in live with your own eyes.

AnttiL
6th August 2021, 08:42
https://toyotagazooracing.com/wrc/release/2021/rd08-preview/
https://motorsport.hyundai.com/ypres-makes-its-debut/

Integrale
6th August 2021, 09:21
Still on the fence if I should buy a ticket or not. I've never visited a WRC rally by myself before and I'm very stressed about where to drive, where to park and from where to spectate. Anyone have any tips? The rally page STILL doesn't have a map available for spectators, and the event is starting next week...https://www.google.com/maps/d/embed?mid=1uychv40lhJUsL9HGR8MzOsmoGF8irGZj&ll=50.79157418688927%2C2.735568692617929&z=13

I grew up in Ypres and did my preparation already. I'll post a preview here in a little while.

As for where to drive and where to park: there are lots of small roads intersecting with the stages. Just don't park on 'escape' roads (or emergency roads). Don't park on bike lanes. Normally you can park on the side of the narrow roads going to the stages, everybody does it. You'll have to walk a bit anyway. Use the terrain map layer on Google Maps to also see the gravel roads going to the stages. You can also walk on most of the fields in between the roads. Jump over fences and wires or climb under them. Enjoy the map reading. Be smart and avoid the Ypres axis. Choose the longer (but faster) connection between stages to the southern side of the stages (French side). Respect the speed limits. The limits change a lot. If you have other questions, shoot, because I think there are other Belgian conaisseurs here.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G781B met Tapatalk

SlowlySidewaySpain
6th August 2021, 10:03
https://www.google.com/maps/d/embed?mid=1uychv40lhJUsL9HGR8MzOsmoGF8irGZj&ll=50.79157418688927%2C2.735568692617929&z=13

I grew up in Ypres and did my preparation already. I'll post a preview here in a little while.

As for where to drive and where to park: there are lots of small roads intersecting with the stages. Just don't park on 'escape' roads (or emergency roads). Don't park on bike lanes. Normally you can park on the side of the narrow roads going to the stages, everybody does it. You'll have to walk a bit anyway. Use the terrain map layer on Google Maps to also see the gravel roads going to the stages. You can also walk on most of the fields in between the roads. Jump over fences and wires or climb under them. Enjoy the map reading. Be smart and avoid the Ypres axis. Choose the longer (but faster) connection between stages to the southern side of the stages (French side). Respect the speed limits. The limits change a lot. If you have other questions, shoot, because I think there are other Belgian conaisseurs here.

Morning mate!

Nice job, thanks a lot! Next week we will gone from Spain!

Have a great time

Fast Eddie WRC
6th August 2021, 17:15
M-Sport preview:
https://www.m-sport.co.uk/single-post/all-set-for-asphalt-as-m-sport-s-young-quartet-builds-up-to-belgium

AnttiL
6th August 2021, 17:24
https://itgetsfasternow.com/2021/08/06/route-preview-ypres-rally-2021/

Here's my route preview, although it's difficult to go into detail on these stages. Basically it's two days of Ypres classics, and then Sunday has two stages which both start on normal roads and end up at the Spa circuit.

SlowlySidewaySpain
6th August 2021, 23:07
https://itgetsfasternow.com/2021/08/06/route-preview-ypres-rally-2021/

Here's my route preview, although it's difficult to go into detail on these stages. Basically it's two days of Ypres classics, and then Sunday has two stages which both start on normal roads and end up at the Spa circuit.

👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻

Gio
7th August 2021, 17:27
Hello all, here you can see some pictures of one hour ago in Ypres, they are started building

https://www.facebook.com/RallyandRaces

Fast Eddie WRC
8th August 2021, 10:44
My weather app shows a dry sunny week and weekend for Ypres. I hope this is true as wet roads would be bad for all but a few at the front.

Integrale
8th August 2021, 11:55
Lots of showers in the next few days, dry from Wednesday onwards. I expect lots of mud in the cuts.

Gio
8th August 2021, 15:45
Warm weather from Wednesday, it will dry up very quickly

Integrale
8th August 2021, 21:40
So here’s my preview. WRC is finally coming to Ypres!

My first real Ypres Rally was in 1999. I lived in a village not far from Ypres and that year my brother took me to the stages for the first time. I was 12 years old, Freddy Loix drove a Mitsubishi and I had made a drawing of his car – which I was able to give to him in the service park on the market place! It was a thrilling weekend and many would follow. My interest in rallying started because of a local event and friends and familiy. I’m sure other rally enthusiasts can relate.

I’ve made some really nice memories around Ypres. I remember spectating one weekend with two Englishmen my brother knew. They had a white Integrale. I’ll never forget speeding up the Rode Berg and drifting down in the back of that Integrale. It might explain my nickname.

Anyway, from the end of the 90s there was this continuous talk about Ypres becoming a WRC event in Belgian autosport magazines. But it never happened. It was some sort of a dream to see the fastest cars and drivers on the planet racing it out on ‘your’ roads. I can’t begin to explain to you how exciting it is to see it happening now, probably one time only.

So in this post I’ll try to write a preview for those who’ve never spectated Ypres and want to know a little bit more about the rally, the area, the characteristics of the stages and some things to look out for. Many fans know the rally well, but I hope I can add something you might not have known. As I grew up in this area, I hope you will enjoy the event and its very specific character.

The rally

It started in 1965 with the ‘6 hours of Ypres’, immediately followed by the ‘12 hours of Ypres’ and from 1975 to 1997 it became the ‘24 hours of Ypres’. They started on Friday evening and raced until midnight. The second leg started on Saturday afternoon and lasted all through the night. Here’s a video from 1986 (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Z2RNfNDzf8) with the Delta S4, RS200, Metro, 205 T16, 037, R4 Turbo, Quattro S1, Manta 400 ... Ypres always had a nice entry list because of its involvement in championships like the ERC and IRC or some British championships.

In the 90s they tried fitting in some stages from much further in Belgium (even the Ardennes), but it wasn’t really a success. So this year they’re doing it again! Anyway, for years now the Ypres Rally has been very compact. If you look at the itinerary for Friday and Saturday this year you can see that 43 procent of the total distance are special stages. It’s also very easy to reach the stages because there are many intersecting roads.

In 1995 a child of 10 years old died when a car crashed on the second corner of the first stage of the rally. Nine others were wounded. They all stood in a forbidden zone. I was actually there with my parents as it was about a kilometre away from my home, but luckily we went home before the accident happened. I only remember the general area, a hamburger van, and the passage of Patrick Snijers in his Bastos Escort Cosworth. They never used that stage again. It was a tragedy and safety became much stricter. I remember editions when all you could see was the top half of the car, because there was a field of red and white ribbons blocking the view. Now there is a good balance again of safety and spectator friendliness (less ribbons). The rule is to stay 10 metres away from the road while some zones are totally forbidden.

The market place of Ypres is the service park area and that’s a pretty impressive scene. You have the Lakenhallen and the second biggest market place of Belgium. Ypres has some history. It was a big centre of commerce in cloth in the Middle Ages (Lakenhallen means something like Cloth Halls). And as you probaby know, the Ypres Salient was one of the biggest battlegrounds in the first World War. The Lakenhallen were bombed to the ground. In fact the whole city was.

The British Minister of War in 1919 – one Winston Churchill – suggested that Ypres should be preserved as a ruin to remember those who fought and died. “A more sacred place for the British race does not exist in the wolrd.” The local people thought something else and returned. With money paid by Germany in reparations the Cloth Halls and main square were rebuilt. Stone by stone, like it was. It was finished in 1967. In the vicinity of Ypres you’ll find lots of British, Belgian, German and Belgian war cemeteries. On SS Dikkebus you pass one (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xr6IABVABX0&t=67s).

Ypres also has something with cats. The legend goes that from the 16th century they threw living cats of the Belfort Tower during a parade or something. Ypres needed cats to catch the mice, but apparently the cats themselves reproduced fast as well. If two cats were thrown down, it was a bad year. If three cats were thrown down, it was a good year. Something like that. Anyway they still do it every 3 years with a big parade. Last time was 2018 and 5.000 Japanese tourists came to Ypres! So yeah, Ypres is called ‘Kattestad’ or Cat City.

Sorry, I got carried away there. Overall it’s a rally and a city which both have a lot of history.

The stages

The rally uses narrow farm roads in the area around the city. Stages to the north are totally flat and stages to the south and southeast have more elevation changes. Most of the up-and-down stages are located in Heuvelland (Hill Land). Lovely place to mountainbike. Heuvelland has many ‘witness hills’, actually sandbanks from 7 million years ago, when the North Sea came upto there. Because of the iron sandstone in those places, erosion had less influence on the hills. It aren’t mountains as a name like ‘Kemmelberg’ would suggest. The highest point of Kemmelberg is 156 metres and the rally route goes over it – just like some big cycling events like Gent-Wevelgem. The gradient is about 20 percent. The cobblestone descent they're taking this year is very steep.

The route of all the stages is very compact because the stages are somewhat squeezed into the land area between bigger roads. As a consequence there are lots of road and direction changes. If I would have to describe the stages, it would be start-stop-stages. You attack a fast section, you brake for a junction, you relaunch for the next section, you brake for a hairpin junction, etcetera. Time is won when you’re brave and precise in the fast little kinks – we call them ‘waaiers’ – and neat in the slow turns. Some cuts you can’t take and some cuts you really have to take (or you miss the track in the gravel). I can tell you already that drivers are going to talk about not getting into a good rhythm.

During the year the roads are used by farmers getting to and from their land as well as local people getting around. Lots of mud can get thrown on the asphalt by the farm vehicles or cutting corners. The grip level changes unexpectedly because the surface changes all the time. It can be smooth asphalt, abrasive asphalt, patches here and there, concrete, slippery, dusty … If it rains, expect lots of mud on the road. But it seems it will be dry. The roads are typically centre-crowned, except for the concrete parts. But this isn’t asphalt like in Catalunya. It’s incredibly slippery and unpredictable, even when dry.

Drivers who can read the road in front of them have an advantage. Of course experience with the stages (like Neuville and Breen have) is better. Late starters might be slightly disadvantaged by the dirt on the road from earlier cuts, but late starters also see the braking points of their rivals. There is lots of cutting and this always means a risk for flat tyres. This will play a role as always.

It’s like a tradition in Ypres that there are many retirements on the first day. If you start too fierce, the stages will punish you. Juha Kankkunen experienced that in 1995 on the first stage (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dlqmkcwroP8). Or François Duval in 2009, also on the first stage (https://youtu.be/QOP3k_bSPR0). There’s no margin for error with ditches lining the roads, electricity poles and other rally-ending infrastructure. A high speed spin will end your rally, otherwise you’re a very lucky boy. This year my first stage will be SS2 and I’m pretty sure I won’t see all the WRC cars, but I hope I’m wrong of course.

I’ll zoom in on the itinerary now. This year we get 2 sections of 4 stages on Friday in the Ypres area and the same on Saturday. On Sunday we go really wild and drive all the way to Stavelot for 2 sections of 2 stages, both using parts of the Spa-Francorchamps circuit and the surrounding area.

Friday

•Shakedown Langemark (9,8 km) is representative for the rally because in past years it was simply part of the rally. But it doesn’t have the really bad and bumpy asphalt. The stage switches back and forth between slippery asphalt roads and concrete roads. The condition of the surface is good compared to most other stages in the rally. There are little cuts here and there. It’s a flat and open area in the north of Ypres with no elevation changes. Some beautiful fast sections. If you don’t feel comfortable here, it might be a weekend of tweaking your setup and never getting there. Nice to know, the finish of the shakedown is close to the old stage SS Zoning, where they used to do four laps around the industrial area. A super special stage avant la lettre. (https://youtu.be/OmqHEdZ1oSA?t=194)

Integrale
8th August 2021, 21:41
Friday

• SS Reninge (15 km) is driven in the usual direction, but there are several diversions from the normal route and the finish is in another place from years before. We’re racing between the farmlands here. Overall it’s a good first test with many fast sections on bumpy asphalt with dirt in the corners. The surface really changes a lot on this stage: from worn asphalt to concrete with sharp edges to slippery (shiny) asphalt. A very fast and open stage, no elevation changes, some blind corners due to farms or hedges, and ditches waiting to end your rally quickly. This is one of the original stages of the first edition in 1965 (together with SS Hollebeke and SS Kemmelberg). But of course the route isn’t the same as it was back then. It wasn’t run for many years (local farmers didn’t want it anymore) but made its return in 2014. I used these roads to get to my football club. Local knowledge isn’t everything, because I put my mother’s Yaris in a ditch on these roads.

• SS Westouter-Boeschepe (19,6 km) starts in Belgium, but after about 7 km we’re in France. This is a beautiful grasslands area in between some quiet villages in Heuvelland. The stage has far more elevation changes and crests than the first stage, definitely another character. Not a lot of ditches here, instead there are some banks. The first 5 km have really beautiful fast sections where you have to be committed. The middle is flat, some long straights, but I especially like the last part towards Mont Kokereel (France). The asphalt there is worn, very bumpy and with a small layer of gravel on top (or in the middle). It’s just a different kind of asphalt it seems (if you can call it that). Again surface changes all over the place. Overall a nice longer SS where you can make a difference.

• SS Kemmelberg (23,6 km) uses a different route almost every year. Normally it’s about 13 to 15 km long, but now it’s remarkably more. It looks like a combination of a reversed Kemmelberg stage with some roads of SS Sauvegarde added in the second part. SS Sauvegarde has also been called SS Wijtschate in recent years. There is a great variety of roads on this stage (narrow and wide, asphalt, concrete and cobblestones) and I think it might deliver the biggest time differences of the day (not only due to its length).

The start is around the Monteberg area, where the Rallysprint of the Monteberg is driven every year. In the Rallysprint they drive up the famous S-curves, but on this stage they’re coming down the zigzag S-curves. This is a circuit-like two-lane road. After that we’re using some narrow Monteberg Rallysprint roads reversed to get to the foot of the Kemmelberg. These are asphalt roads in a fairly good condition, but always dusty. To get to the top of the Kemmelberg they use some of the tightest roads of the rally (not the big steep cobblestone road to the top). After the top, we’re coming down on a very long righthand bend over cobblestones. We might see some Scandinavian flicks at the bottom to manage the junction to the right. Normally they drive the Kemmelberg in reverse. Oh yeah, there’s an ultra-secret bunker complex under the Kemmelberg from the Cold War. So there’s that as well. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VPzAa4mtJ2A)

After the Kemmelberg it looks like business as usual with the roads of SS Sauvegarde, some typical narrow Ypres roads, junctions, but especially very fast sections. This is for sure the stage with the most climbing and descending. It will give the drivers some thrills I’m sure.

• SS Zonnebeke (9,5 km) must be the fastest stage of the rally. The asphalt is more new and there are less direction changes or junctions from one road to another. There may be more of a flow to the stage, but it’s short. The area is flat again, but the ditches are back as well. Apart from two hairpins and the chicane afer the bridge it’s all fast here. The cars will reach the limiter a few times because of some long straights. A couple of sections in the kilometres before the finish are really scary fast. If they show helicopter images you might see some attractions of the theme park Bellewaerde near the finish. Childhood memories.

Saturday

• SS Hollebeke (25,9 km) is the longest stage of the rally and a real classic. I hope the drivers have slept well, because it’s the first one on Saturday. The asphalt is like in Zonnebeke. The cuts are deep. There’s more of a start-stop kind of rhythm here, but in between the slow speed corners there are always some interesting fast sections. I saw this in 2010. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_PoxGuXhEjY) Electricity pole check, ditch check. In the last 8 km of the stage the route goes in and out of Zwarte Leen, a small woodlot area. The asphalt is dirtier and more humid there, very slippery and slow.

On a sidenote, this SS passes very close to Hill 60, a hill both Brits and Germans wanted to have in the First World War. The Brits even dug tunnels into the hill and placed mines to detonate the whole hill. Gas was used as well. The pits or little ponds you might see in the area round SS Hollebeke are actually bomb craters. The area looked a lot different about a hundred years ago…

• SS Dikkebus (12,5 km) is probably my favourite stage of the rally. It’s incredibly quick and challenging. I’ve stood about everywhere on this stage over the years. There are beautiful sections with natural meandering corners. Towards the end the route goes to Westouter and the Sulferberg, so it goes up and down again. No big surface changes, the asphalt towards the end might be a little more broken. Freddy Loix was always fast here.

• SS Watou (13,6 km) has very bad asphalt with bumps and holes in the road. It’s also quite narrow, so little margin for error. Big cuts and therefore gravel in almost all of the corners. On the map it looks like there are a lot of straights, but because of the bumps it’s very tricky. Because yes, there are ditches. It was on this stage that Kris Meeke crashed very hard in 2010. (https://youtu.be/9Zwdaskg6Sc?t=105)

• SS Mesen-Middelhoek (8 km) starts with some shenanigans on the little market place of Mesen. After that it’s essentially eight very fast sections broken up by hairpins or 90 degree corners. That sounds worse than it is, because the fast sections are nice. The asphalt is not too bad here. A short sprint to end the loop.

Sunday

• SS Stavelot (9 km) uses some ‘normal’ roads to get to the Spa-Francorchamps circuit (the part from Les Combes to Stavelot). The only thing that’s similar to the Ypres roads is that it’s narrow. But this is a different rally. The area is completely changed, no open areas anymore. The route goes through forests and small vilages, there are banks, and it’s very up and down all the time. The surface might be particularly moist in places, it’s also an early start. I can’t tell a lot about this stage because it’s not really in my backyard.

• SS Francorchamps (11,2 km) is the power stage and it’s still a bit of a mystery to me. Last year SS Ster would have been driven but in the opposite direction, starting from Francorchamps. Now it looks like they want to finish in Francorchamps (for the podium and all that stuff). Some parts of the SS from last year have been used in the opposite direction in a regional rally. I watched some onboards and it looks like an okay stage. This one is very much between the trees. There are some ditches like in Ypres. The road might be a bit bumpier and dirtier. The last part uses some service roads to enter the track at the Bus Stop chicane, drive to the La Source hairpin, to Eau Rouge, where they finish on the rallycross track. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tk5oYGE6Cf0)

Spectating tips around Ypres

• Avoid junctions and hairpins at all costs. You might have a very boring rally. Go to combinations of fast corners where the cars have reached some speed already. It’s even better if there’s a fast section after your spot (not a braking area), because time is won in maintaining your speed and the drivers know that.

• The rally is normally driven more than a month earlier. This means the corn and wheat lining a substantial part of the stages has grown much higher. You actually want to see the wheels of the car at the moment the car moves. This is always in the cuts. It’s difficult for me as well to decide on my spots because of this, because I’m now living elsewhere.

• There are a lot of little roads going to the stages everywhere. The rally organizers have told that it’s possible to go everywhere on the stage, with the exception of forbidden zones (which are marked with signs and ribbon). The rule is that you have to stay 10 metres away from the road. This means you really don’t have to go to the marked spectator zones or parking areas. Most of the time you can park on the side of a small road or something.

• Good walking boots are handy. You will probably cross some muddy fields and jump a ditch or two. There’s barbed wire and electric fences to confront, so maybe some crawling too.

• Bring something to stand on. I’m taking a little ladder. It doesn’t weigh that much, and it can be the difference between seeing other people’s heads or corn leafs and actually seeing the cars.

• Traffic can get really congested around some main roads. There will be traffic between SS1 and SS3, SS2 and SS4, etc. So drive around the congestions (and enjoy the other Ypres roads) or time your stage changes right. Sometimes it also helps to choose a spot in the last part of the stage, because it gives you another 10 minutes before the first car. Waze is good to check on traffic, but I still like to rely on good old map reading.

• Eat fries with mayonaise at a small frietkot at least once! And enjoy our beer. Don’t drink Jupiler or Stella, try something else. There’s thousands of them. But it's not lemonade. :) Enjoy the rally!

AnttiL
9th August 2021, 05:44
Thanks for the excellent text! Notice that the Langemark WRC shakedown is driven on Friday morning. On Thursday there's the non-priority shakedown at Nieuwkerke.

As for Belgian beer, be cautious, they can taste easy, but be 9% strong :D Orval, Duvel, Saison Dupont and Rochefort 10 are my all time favourites.

dimviii
9th August 2021, 07:41
http://forum-rallye.com/uploads/monthly_08_2021/post-1272-0-24021400-1628458873.jpg

Got Mail
9th August 2021, 12:29
Thanks for the excellent text! Notice that the Langemark WRC shakedown is driven on Friday morning. On Thursday there's the non-priority shakedown at Nieuwkerke.

As for Belgian beer, be cautious, they can taste easy, but be 9% strong :D Orval, Duvel, Saison Dupont and Rochefort 10 are my all time favourites.

Boktor. My personal favourite.

SlowlySidewaySpain
9th August 2021, 13:07

Beer paradise!!!

mas-racing
9th August 2021, 18:45
Monday Test :https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QQk-JUvjzFk

hsmed
10th August 2021, 07:24
What a great preview, Integrale! I have visited Ypres many times - both for the rally and also for its war history - and your preview meant, that I really want to go once more. However, it will not be this year, but I will watch the TV coverage with great pleasure.

MentalParadox
10th August 2021, 18:55
https://www.google.com/maps/d/embed?mid=1uychv40lhJUsL9HGR8MzOsmoGF8irGZj&ll=50.79157418688927%2C2.735568692617929&z=13

Thanks for that. The green icons are spectator areas? So they DO exist?

Has anyone received the instructions on how, when and where to exchange the ticket for the armband yet? The start is in 2 days and I'm getting anxious...

mousti
10th August 2021, 18:56
No Reynvoet (crashed yesterday at his PET and his co driver got injured) and Pepe Lopez in WRC3..

becher
10th August 2021, 20:14
Do I have to have a wristband or is it possible to enter with a PDF ticket also?

Integrale
10th August 2021, 20:43
Do I have to have a wristband or is it possible to enter with a PDF ticket also?

You need a wristband, the PDF ticket isn't valid to enter the stages. You need to change the ticket at a Rally Shop in a Hyundai garage I think. The address is Kruiskalsijdestraat 4, Ypres. There are opening hours (see attachment as well).

Follow the Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/RallyYpres for updates. You can ask questions via chat, they have someone responding.

Thanks for that. The green icons are spectator areas? So they DO exist?

Has anyone received the instructions on how, when and where to exchange the ticket for the armband yet? The start is in 2 days and I'm getting anxious...

I didn't make that map, but there are spectator areas with parkings yes. In the attachment you'll find a map from SS Kemmelberg with 8 spectator areas. The green lines are parking areas. The red lines are evacuation roads, you can't drive or park there. These maps are in the rally guide, for sale in the... Rally Shop. 15 euros...

As for your second question, see above.

I'll add a link to a document with all the stage routes on a map, for anyone interested. I got it from another forum. The spectator zones aren't on these maps.

https://www.rallye-sport.fr/wp-content/uploads/2021/07/Cartes-speciales-Rallye-Ypres-2021.pdf

jacko
10th August 2021, 21:36
Hi, do you need a ticket to visit the stages or are the tickets only for the spectator stages??
It's a bit confussion for me on the side and the information I read on some forums.
It looks like I can walk (for) free in the stages.
Thank you in advance!

You need a wristband, the PDF ticket isn't valid to enter the stages. You need to change the ticket at a Rally Shop in a Hyundai garage I think. The address is Kruiskalsijdestraat 4, Ypres. There are opening hours (see attachment as well).

Follow the Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/RallyYpres for updates. You can ask questions via chat, they have someone responding.

I didn't make that map, but there are spectator areas with parkings yes. In the attachment you'll find a map from SS Kemmelberg with 8 spectator areas. The green lines are parking areas. The red lines are evacuation roads, you can't drive or park there. These maps are in the rally guide, for sale in the... Rally Shop. 15 euros...

As for your second question, see above.

I'll add a link to a document with all the stage routes on a map, for anyone interested. I got it from another forum. The spectator zones aren't on these maps.

https://www.rallye-sport.fr/wp-content/uploads/2021/07/Cartes-speciales-Rallye-Ypres-2021.pdf

becher
10th August 2021, 21:52
Thank you, the official site is a bit confusing...

AnttiL
11th August 2021, 05:33
https://www.rally-maps.com/Ypres-Rally-Belgium-2021

EstWRC
11th August 2021, 06:18
finally a rally week, its been very quiet news wise between Estonia and Ypres, like off-season

Fun fact: clerk of the course of Ypres rally is estonian woman called Emilia Abel

Neuville is the clear and nr.1 favourite for this rally and thats all i can say basically. Breen has also a very good experience but his starting position is way too back on Friday, so i think it will cost him a lot and he really struggled in Croatia with the car.

As an Tänak fan for me the most interesting thing to watch will be if he has made any significant steps with the car or setup. He won the first two full wet stages on Monte this year and even snatched a stage win in Croatia, so it seems he cant find the setup or balance or whatever that works all the time and on all stages. We will see.

Toyotas are always mighty on tarmac, as Croatia also proved, im mostly looking forward how Kalle is doing, Evans and Ogier are both very good on tarmac.

Formaux was really good in Croatia, can he also surprise here?

What i want say with my confusing and senseless post is that Ogier will win in the end :spinhead:

AnttiL
11th August 2021, 06:32
In a difficult rally like this, Ogier is always strong. And Neuville should have some experience-based advantage, having done a part of the event in WRC car in 2019. Evans could be next up, I don't believe in Tänak's chances. Breen is a bit of a question mark really.

It's Ogier or Neuville, I'd like to see Neuville win his home event and break his long pause of wins. Also, Ogier won't be attacking full with the championship situation (although Neuville attacking full could end in a disaster)

EstWRC
11th August 2021, 06:37
yeah its been quite a long winless pause for Thierry, Monte 2020 was his last, 1 year and 7 months ago

i like how you write he "SHOULD have some" advantage :laugh:

rp
11th August 2021, 10:14
What i want say with my confusing and senseless post is that Ogier will win in the end :spinhead:

Probably, but hopefully Hyundai will not give away the win for Toyota again and Neuville would win...

Gio
11th August 2021, 10:18

It will be interesting, differtent lines allready during recce

mknight
11th August 2021, 10:18
I agree with AnttiL that Ogier won't push max, Neuville will.

So the big question is whether others make so many mistakes that even in "safe mode" but with road position advantage on Friday Ogier wins.
Hard to say how Neuville handles the pressure, quite many examples where he seemingly failed when he had to perform.

I think Tanak will also take it relatively safe and in that kind of driving mode he is slower than Ogier, so depending on how others do I would expect him around 3rd.

No good idea how Evans handles these kind of stages but tarmac is his best surface.
A bit worried about Rovanpera as he is prone to small inaccuraccies/mistakes and here they might quickly result in big issues.

Breen is the biggest uncertainty of the whole event, a lot of experience here even in the same car last year. But bad tarmac history with WRC and so far with Hyundai as well as bad road position. Based on that he looks about as likely to fight for 2nd place as ending 7th...

Don't think Fourmaux will be able to challenge any of the top 6 that don't hit trouble. Off course "calculated" stage wins are possible. As he said himself on multiple rallies, he picks stages he likes and saves tires for them to get stage wins. Often also in combination with others not pushing (Portugal morning stages, Kenya last stage before PS). Similar with Katsuta in Croatia where he won a stage then lost 40s on the stage before/after.

-------

While WRC2 entry is the weakest so far (besides no-show on Safari), it's interesting because it's very hard to pick favorites. On paper 4 out of 5 look almost as likely to win.
Gryazin should have best pure speed, but making it to the end is very unlikely, specially given recent record.
Solbergs recent history is also terrible and has very little experience on this kind of rally and a new car.
So in the end the two Fins might be the biggest favorites, with Suninen maybe a bit bigger one since he drove in Croatia unlike Huttunen who has a new car on top of that. Might be that the new Hyundai will be amazing or they might struggle a lot with setup...or they might get reliability issues.

Fast Eddie WRC
11th August 2021, 10:30
Rally Ypres manager Alan Penasse told a journalist that he thinks many WRC2/3 drivers have been 'scared off' by the event's tricky reputation.

mknight
11th August 2021, 10:37
Rally Ypres manager Alan Penasse told a journalist that he thinks many WRC2/3 drivers have been 'scared off' by the event's tricky reputation.

Maybe a bit but there are lots of other added reasons. Most notably both Toksport and Østberg already have enough starts from early on that they only have 1 or 2 rallies to pick (and have to go to Japan).

Toksport will want to start with both cars at same rally for cost reasons (and teampoints) and for Bulacia it's definitely much better to drive on gravel in Greece.
Østberg has tarmac as weakest surface, so kinda no matter if it was Ypres or Deutschland he would pick gravel instead.
Lappi seems to be signed already and even if not he doesn't have/want to use money for more starts than necessary. So if not signed he would show up in Finland or some rally that he knows like Catalunya.

focus206
11th August 2021, 11:30
To me Ypres is too tricky to count much on "home advantage". I wouldn't be surprised to see Ogier or Evans winning, actually I'd say I expect yet another Toyota win.

Rallyper
11th August 2021, 12:49
Less than two days to Pick your favourites in Pickems. Friday 1300hrs CEST cut.

Eli
11th August 2021, 13:08
Maybe a bit but there are lots of other added reasons. Most notably both Toksport and Østberg already have enough starts from early on that they only have 1 or 2 rallies to pick (and have to go to Japan).

Toksport will want to start with both cars at same rally for cost reasons (and teampoints) and for Bulacia it's definitely much better to drive on gravel in Greece.
Østberg has tarmac as weakest surface, so kinda no matter if it was Ypres or Deutschland he would pick gravel instead.
Lappi seems to be signed already and even if not he doesn't have/want to use money for more starts than necessary. So if not signed he would show up in Finland or some rally that he knows like Catalunya.

Østberg already said last month I think (does feel like a long time since Estonia), that he'll go to Greece, Finland & Spain so obviously that meant skipping Ypres. I'm also guessing they might already know that Ypres definitely won't be in next year's calendar so they rather skip this one and save some of their budget for another event.

Andre Oliveira
11th August 2021, 13:08
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/E8glnhGWEAApkbG?format=jpg&name=medium

mas-racing
11th August 2021, 13:56
WRC Ypres =Rally 2021 Recce SS Zonnebeke :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Os1T9oHtdyI

denkimi
11th August 2021, 14:16
To me Ypres is too tricky to count much on "home advantage". I wouldn't be surprised to see Ogier or Evans winning, actually I'd say I expect yet another Toyota win.
Quite the oppositie.

There are many hidden traps that can take someone out, but that can't be spotted in recce. In many placed you just need to have previous knowledge to push to the max. There are places where you brake on grippy asphalt, only to get on slippy asphalt midturn without it looking any different. You can't know that by doing recce alone.

I would also not be suprised to see ogier win here. But then again, this is no rally where the strength of the rear suspension matters. Either you stay on the road and nothing happens, or you go to far and end up in the ditch.

focus206
11th August 2021, 14:22
Quite the oppositie.

There are many hidden traps that can take someone out, but that can't be spotted in recce. In many placed you just need to have previous knowledge to push to the max. There are places where you brake on grippy asphalt, only to get on slippy asphalt midturn without it looking any different. You can't know that by doing recce alone.

I would also not be suprised to see ogier win here. But then again, this is no rally where the strength of the rear suspension matters. Either you stay on the road and nothing happens, or you go to far and end up in the ditch.

I'm not talking about Belgian competitors in Rally2 that ran Ypres many times, I'm talking about Neuville. Does he know Ypres well enough to have an actual "home advantage" over Ogier and Evans?

mknight
11th August 2021, 14:36
The i20 Rally2 looks much better than on test for sure, even though we can't see straight from front.

- green covers the part just in front of the hood
- Kowax sticker breaking the huge bumper side

mknight
11th August 2021, 14:41
Østberg already said last month I think (does feel like a long time since Estonia), that he'll go to Greece, Finland & Spain so obviously that meant skipping Ypres. I'm also guessing they might already know that Ypres definitely won't be in next year's calendar so they rather skip this one and save some of their budget for another event.

Yes, but as I wrote he picked Greece (which is on gravel and he drove there before) over Ypres which is on tarmac that he is historically not so good at.

As a sidenote I didn't see he plans Spain, the WRC2 rules are a bit unclear to me on the "overseas" rally requirement. It seems that it might only apply to those that compete in WRC2 "teams" competition in which case it wouldn't apply to Østberg.

Picking Spain over Ypres is easy since he has driven in Spain multiple times.

Fast Eddie WRC
11th August 2021, 15:20
Recce shots from this morning - still pretty damp with puddles in places:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/E8f9vkMXIAIIL11?format=jpg&name=large

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/E8f9wgWXMAIXIz4?format=jpg&name=large

EstWRC
11th August 2021, 15:42
https://scontent.ftll2-1.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t39.30808-6/235974467_4700068580093272_8506735307538737635_n.j pg?_nc_cat=106&ccb=1-4&_nc_sid=730e14&_nc_ohc=WFdC79pYxaUAX-E5CUo&_nc_ht=scontent.ftll2-1.fna&oh=64433666d3ceaf6d70781cac2db953da&oe=61184D3A
https://scontent.ftll2-1.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t39.30808-6/236076868_4700068560093274_7781977885432676829_n.j pg?_nc_cat=104&ccb=1-4&_nc_sid=730e14&_nc_ohc=tq1oHFpBgAkAX_lGtFo&_nc_ht=scontent.ftll2-1.fna&oh=c7e2ee679fff5ca6c97d6f925dd7cf2c&oe=611806DF
https://scontent.ftll2-1.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t39.30808-6/236092866_4700069070093223_6967695416437945644_n.j pg?_nc_cat=104&ccb=1-4&_nc_sid=730e14&_nc_ohc=79g7EGoR7EoAX-L9vm3&_nc_ht=scontent.ftll2-1.fna&oh=edc87ca8c907581a50f1a5383c0a9df3&oe=6117F8CE
https://scontent.ftll2-1.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t39.30808-6/236469371_4700068773426586_959153823097296391_n.jp g?_nc_cat=104&ccb=1-4&_nc_sid=730e14&_nc_ohc=TxCCIW35zlIAX_pzyk6&_nc_ht=scontent.ftll2-1.fna&oh=d7097f27444048a570c966bfdd09917f&oe=61184143
https://scontent.ftll2-1.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t39.30808-6/236045126_4700068613426602_9078868342142467242_n.j pg?_nc_cat=100&ccb=1-4&_nc_sid=730e14&_nc_ohc=67MFyfoE_BwAX-5ocFE&_nc_ht=scontent.ftll2-1.fna&oh=fd7cebb016fa441f09a7f50c77d8e2ed&oe=611956BC

credit https://www.facebook.com/RallyandRaces/posts/4700070000093130

EstWRC
11th August 2021, 15:45
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/E8gvV1OXoAEk08J?format=jpg&name=medium

denkimi
11th August 2021, 17:00
I'm not talking about Belgian competitors in Rally2 that ran Ypres many times, I'm talking about Neuville. Does he know Ypres well enough to have an actual "home advantage" over Ogier and Evans?
This will be his ninth ypres rally. Of course it's not like princen who is doing his 22th, but it will make a difference i believe.

We'll see in a few days.

Fast Eddie WRC
11th August 2021, 17:31

https://dirtfish.com/rally/wrc/the-reason-so-few-wrc3-crews-are-contesting-ypres/

Mirek
11th August 2021, 17:51
This will be his ninth ypres rally. Of course it's not like princen who is doing his 22th, but it will make a difference i believe.

We'll see in a few days.

On the other hand he didn't look very comfortable in his prior starts which rarely went smooth for him.

mknight
11th August 2021, 19:17
https://dirtfish.com/rally/wrc/the-reason-so-few-wrc3-crews-are-contesting-ypres/

WRC2 isn't mentioned a single time there.

Eli
11th August 2021, 19:22
Yes, but as I wrote he picked Greece (which is on gravel and he drove there before) over Ypres which is on tarmac that he is historically not so good at.

As a sidenote I didn't see he plans Spain, the WRC2 rules are a bit unclear to me on the "overseas" rally requirement. It seems that it might only apply to those that compete in WRC2 "teams" competition in which case it wouldn't apply to Østberg.

Picking Spain over Ypres is easy since he has driven in Spain multiple times.

Sorry, my bad for the first part. As for Spain, he said it in a Q&A on Facebook last month so unless he decided since then to change that, he's going to Spain.

EstWRC
11th August 2021, 19:35
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i7r0dH41WLo

flykas
12th August 2021, 06:02
No shakedown live?

tommeke_B
12th August 2021, 06:14
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i7r0dH41WLo

"In Belgium there shouldn't be that much dirt on the road." Lol.

AnttiL
12th August 2021, 06:24
No shakedown live?

Tomorrow morning

denkimi
12th August 2021, 09:15
https://dirtfish.com/rally/wrc/freddy-loixs-advice-for-ypres-rally/

EstWRC
12th August 2021, 09:50
https://dirtfish.com/rally/wrc/freddy-loixs-advice-for-ypres-rally/

“People think the best place on the road is to be first, for the cleanest line. When I was competing and I could choose my place, I would always go with the second or third or even fourth place.

this was really interesting, i also thought the 1st is the best.

dimviii
12th August 2021, 12:36
Rallirinki / Teemu
@HartusvuoriWRC
·
1h
So far eight cases of speeding have been recorded during #WRC #YpresRally. One crew managed to do three offences in a short time and have been fined by the organization for over 3300 euros. In total 7 850 euros worth of fines have been handed out.

TypeR
12th August 2021, 12:54
Rallirinki / Teemu
@HartusvuoriWRC
·
1h
So far eight cases of speeding have been recorded during #WRC #YpresRally. One crew managed to do three offences in a short time and have been fined by the organization for over 3300 euros. In total 7 850 euros worth of fines have been handed out.
No top crews.. seems like only local heroes..

Fast Eddie WRC
12th August 2021, 13:01
This rain radar site is showing heavy showers in NE Belgium at the moment...

https://www.netweather.tv/live-weather/radar

MartijnS
12th August 2021, 13:25
Just a few drops for now

mousti
12th August 2021, 13:48
Rallirinki / Teemu
@HartusvuoriWRC
·
1h
So far eight cases of speeding have been recorded during #WRC #YpresRally. One crew managed to do three offences in a short time and have been fined by the organization for over 3300 euros. In total 7 850 euros worth of fines have been handed out.Lots of local heroes got not through the technical control because of various reasons.

mknight
12th August 2021, 14:17
Just a few drops for now

Might be... but "nothing" is forecasted.

If this kind of unpredictable "summer showers" weather type stays during there rally it might be quite a lottery. We have seen this in Germany many times
( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DwukCdGKOdY )

MentalParadox
12th August 2021, 14:31
Does this event have a ceremonial start? I haven't seen it on any itinerary so far.

Also, I've heard the service area is completely off-limits to spectators? Like, how close can you get?

dimviii
12th August 2021, 15:54
first visit to ditch

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/E8mZiVJVEAMdjQJ?format=jpg&name=large

Fast Eddie WRC
12th August 2021, 15:55
Toyota at the Ypres Great War memorial...

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/E8mZ12EXEAgb6Lf?format=jpg&name=4096x4096

Fast Eddie WRC
12th August 2021, 15:57
The Josh McErlean off ...

https://twitter.com/CarloUuche_/status/1425842406646325250

Fast Eddie WRC
12th August 2021, 16:00
Pirelli Motorsport
Talk to the hand. The tyre ain’t listening. :D

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/E8mbLIZXEAECpC5?format=jpg&name=large

denkimi
12th August 2021, 17:32
I heard rumours that 40 national cars would have failed scrutineering. Let see how many actually start tomorrow.

dimviii
12th August 2021, 17:58
TieltseAutomobielClub
@TACrally
·
5m
#WRC @MSesks
went off, Spectators trying to help him out of the ditch..

MentalParadox
12th August 2021, 18:13
Will the rally have a ceremonial start?

MartijnS
12th August 2021, 18:34
No

mousti
12th August 2021, 18:35
Will the rally have a ceremonial start?No. Tomorrow morning shakedown for priority drivers and a bit later the first loop of the rally starts..

MentalParadox
12th August 2021, 18:45
No. Tomorrow morning shakedown for priority drivers and a bit later the first loop of the rally starts..
Alright, thanks. Guess I'll go from the Shop directly to the start of SS2.

Tom K
12th August 2021, 19:14
Seems like it's not only non-priority shakedown. P2, P3 and P4 could use it. Apart from McErlean also Sesks had some problems.

denkimi
12th August 2021, 19:23
Seems like it's not only non-priority shakedown. P2, P3 and P4 could use it. Apart from McErlean also Sesks had some problems.

Mcerlean, sesks, verlinde, guigou, spittaels,...

sindroms
12th August 2021, 19:43
TieltseAutomobielClub
@TACrally
·
5m
#WRC @MSesks
went off, Spectators trying to help him out of the ditch..

https://www.go4speed.lv/lv/mustsee/wrc/2156-foto-sesks-belgijas-wrc-treninos-noskrien-no-cela/?fbclid=IwAR3FCitfuRovvufigwCwgvHBYBdJ03M_m8VNlZr8 y6BFut7GmxowhLrSV_A

MartijnS
12th August 2021, 20:22
https://youtu.be/XgAa0K6LWHw

Including off of Sesks :)

EstWRC
12th August 2021, 20:50
https://youtu.be/VZd5U-WSGkA

mknight
12th August 2021, 21:58
https://youtu.be/XgAa0K6LWHw

Including off of Sesks :)

How come Solberg is driving there if it's non-priority? Can they drive both? Or if he drives today he can't drive tomorrow?

AnttiL
13th August 2021, 05:21
How come Solberg is driving there if it's non-priority? Can they drive both? Or if he drives today he can't drive tomorrow?

I think driving this morning is limited because of the schedule, so essentially they moved what's normally the last two hours of shakedown into yesterday? WRC2, WRC3 and JWRC were allowed yesterday but I believe they must make one run this morning and it compromises their tyres. Non-priority drivers are then not allowed today.

AnttiL
13th August 2021, 05:34
https://www.rallit.fi/kalle-rovanperan-ja-sebastien-ogierin-valmistautumisessa-kommahdys-ennen-mm-rallia/

- Ogier said in press conf and Rovanperä commented to Finnish media that they had a very unrepresentative test road in France. It was too fast and there were no cuts to practice. They will need the morning shakedown for setup changes. Meanwhile Evans and Katsuta got a good test. Rovanperä said he has driven so little on the Pirelli tarmac tyres that he needs time to learn that.

- Suninen said elsewhere that the organizers made recce videos only from the Spa stages, so he had to rely on Youtube to practice.

EstWRC
13th August 2021, 05:56
MOrning...we have an very exciting and a veeeryyy long rally ahead.

what more could we ask!

Rallyper
13th August 2021, 06:09
Morning. Isn´t shakedown starting 08.01? Or am I totally wrong now. WRC Live just sending pre event film...

EstWRC
13th August 2021, 06:10
delay already

AnttiL
13th August 2021, 06:13
Cars are running, video not working

EstWRC
13th August 2021, 06:13
and Kiri said delay, wtf, half the cars are through already

well done wrc plus again

rp
13th August 2021, 06:14
Ogier, Evans, Neuville & Rovanperä already finished the 1st run...

1. Neuville Thierry - Wydaeghe M.Hyundai i20 Coupe WRC 4:31.9
2. Ogier Sébastien - Ingrassia J. Toyota Yaris WRC 4:32.8
3. Evans Elfyn - Martin Scott Toyota Yaris WRC 4:32.8
4. Rovanperä Kalle - Halttunen J. Toyota Yaris WRC 4:34.2

TypeR
13th August 2021, 06:14
good job WRC+ again.. Top3 already done and no picture..

EstWRC
13th August 2021, 06:17
yes, we can see the start...amazing

AnttiL
13th August 2021, 06:17
ewrc-result shows the times. Neuville fastest so far. Average speed 129.89 km/h. This is one of the fastest stages of the weekend.

EstWRC
13th August 2021, 06:19
Toyotas straigh into service again

Rallyper
13th August 2021, 06:19
ewrc-result shows the times. Neuville fastest so far. Average speed 129.89 km/h. This is one of the fastest stages of the weekend.

Shakedownstage with average of 130 km/h is crazy. What does Miss Mouton say about that?

TypeR
13th August 2021, 06:21
enjoy those amazing starting videos of cars accelerating for 10seconds..

EstWRC
13th August 2021, 06:23
basically everyone coming into service except Neuville, so we will have a lot until 2nd times

mousti
13th August 2021, 06:23
Breen with problems..?

Engine trouble..

Rallyper
13th August 2021, 06:26
Shame on them!! (WRC+ All Live)

rp
13th August 2021, 06:26
What a Shakedown by WRC+ All LIVE!

AnttiL
13th August 2021, 06:27
M-Sport cars again quite far back, these fast stages are not good for them.

mknight
13th August 2021, 06:28
Worst SD coverage of the year...

EstWRC
13th August 2021, 06:29

of the whole history or wrc plus IMO

rp
13th August 2021, 06:29

Ever!

Essaj
13th August 2021, 06:31
What a Shakedown by WRC+ All LIVE!

Village team :rolleyes:

AnttiL
13th August 2021, 06:37
Ever!

No, you don't remember things like Australia 2018. We didn't get to see any cars live.

This shakedown thing is just a free bonus, we don't pay for this stuff. No need to complain. It's also their shakedown, they get to check that everything is working. Better to have it now than at SS1.

EstWRC
13th August 2021, 06:41
im amazed how you always are defending them

if we are promised LIVE then they should offer it, no matter if i am paying or not.

Many of my friends have come to me and said they wont pay anymore because of this or that didnt work be it shakedown or during the rally, not everybody is with such a patience

mknight
13th August 2021, 06:42
SD is "for free" cause it's supposed to be a "commercial" that attracts new paying viewers.

rp
No, you don't remember things like Australia 2018. We didn't get to see any cars live.

This shakedown thing is just a free bonus, we don't pay for this stuff. No need to complain. It's also their shakedown, they get to check that everything is working. Better to have it now than at SS1.

They are showing it free at Youtube also and this should be very good thing to promote their product and WRC, but it´s not possible doing it so badly. Good that you are not disappointed!

TypeR

every time something to defend wrc+ :D even if they screw up rather simple things, such as showing SD..

doesn't matter if they show it free on facebook or not, they advertise it and people pay for wrc+ to see it.

EstWRC
13th August 2021, 06:45
Neuville has done second run, improved by 4 seconds

AnttiL
13th August 2021, 06:48
every time something to defend wrc+ :D even if they screw up rather simple things, such as showing SD..

How is showing SD simple or simpler than showing any stage? . Maybe I defend them because I know many people working in the team and I know how complicated it is. At the same time, I also complain when they screw it up in the middle of the rally. But for this shakedown, I don't care. The drivers rarely have much to say at shakedown stage ends anyway.

mknight
13th August 2021, 06:49
Well I wonder what happened with Breen and Huttunen on first run.

AnttiL
13th August 2021, 06:51
Well I wonder what happened with Breen and Huttunen on first run.

Could be just a stall/spin on a junction. Even with normally working shakedown coverage, we don't get to see what happens in the middle of the stage. We only get one land camera, often the start, and then the ending. This is a 9 km stage, lots of things could happen in the middle.

Franky
13th August 2021, 06:54
Antti, it's not the first time they are doing it. And it is what they do for a living.

Just imagine the shit storm, if the broadcasting team would royally screw up the Olympics opening ceremony.

AnttiL
13th August 2021, 06:56
It's really not the same to broadcast rally cars moving at 120 km/h in the forest compared to Olympics in the stadium where everything has been built in and pre-wired for broadcasting. And same goes for all motorsports on circuits.

MentalParadox
13th August 2021, 06:57
If the free shakedown on YouTube is supposed to be their "advertisement" to attract new paying fans to WRC+, I think they failed miserably today.
As a paying customer, I sure hope their coverage later today is better...

mknight
13th August 2021, 06:59
Could be just a stall/spin on a junction. Even with normally working shakedown coverage, we don't get to see what happens in the middle of the stage. We only get one land camera, often the start, and then the ending. This is a 9 km stage, lots of things could happen in the middle.

We got to see Solbergs crash on SD in Kenya basically immediatelly as it happened in the middle of the stage.

MartinAG
13th August 2021, 07:00
How is showing SD simple or simpler than showing any stage?

I also think that this stage or stages in Belgium are easier*to cover in compare to Monte for example. I believe*they had problems with airplane on radar I did not see above that area.

AnttiL
13th August 2021, 07:01
We got to see Solbergs crash on SD in Kenya basically immediatelly as it happened in the middle of the stage.

Sometimes there are happy exceptions, yes.

Franky
13th August 2021, 07:02
It's really not the same to broadcast rally cars moving at 120 km/h in the forest compared to Olympics in the stadium where everything has been built in and pre-wired for broadcasting.

Live broadcast is a live broadcast. The moment it's live, there's no room for error as then you'll get some angry viewers.

AnttiL
13th August 2021, 07:03
Live broadcast is a live broadcast. The moment it's live, there's no room for error as then you'll get some angry viewers.

Yes. I think what they should do is explain better how complicated the setup is and when something goes wrong, be honest about it. Like "sorry, the aeroplane couldn't get in the air this time, it sucks". When the hosts just keep blabbing like it was planned that way, it makes people angrier.

AnttiL
13th August 2021, 07:10
Neuville has done second run, improved by 4 seconds

132.07 km/h now

TypeR
13th August 2021, 07:11
they have years of experience doing live broadcast, should be used to it..
can't hide behind weather either, perfect conditions at the moment

EstWRC
13th August 2021, 07:22
132.07 km/h now

for Tänak now?, 2 secs faster than Thierry

AnttiL
13th August 2021, 07:26
for Tänak now?, 2 secs faster than Thierry

133.22 km/h :D

mknight
13th August 2021, 07:30
Yes. I think what they should do is explain better how complicated the setup is and when something goes wrong, be honest about it. Like "sorry, the aeroplane couldn't get in the air this time, it sucks". When the hosts just keep blabbing like it was planned that way, it makes people angrier.

Exactly, or write a twitter saying what happened afterwards at least.
This way it just looks like this is "normal".

In the past it was normal with this kind of media policy (not saying what is wrong), these days people expect to know.

AnttiL
13th August 2021, 07:35
All Hyundai and Toyota drivers have completed two runs on shakedown

mousti
13th August 2021, 07:37
All Hyundai and Toyota drivers have completed two runs on shakedownBreen not yet..

EstWRC
13th August 2021, 07:40
133.22 km/h :D

and now almost 2 secs faster than his own time

AnttiL
13th August 2021, 07:47
and now almost 2 secs faster than his own time

134.13 km/h

EstWRC
13th August 2021, 07:49
Breen still with problems? second run also very slow

Matchbox826
13th August 2021, 07:55
Could breen just be cruising through the shakedown stage

mousti
13th August 2021, 07:57
I heard rumours of engine trouble but heard then he had a flat one.

2nd run he went quite fast on our stage.. quite weird then

EstWRC
13th August 2021, 08:05
Neuville a tad faster now on third run than Tänak, 0.8

AnttiL
13th August 2021, 08:10
Neuville a tad faster now on third run than Tänak, 0.8

134.54 km/h

mousti
13th August 2021, 08:14
Breen for sure with mech troubles on third run.

mknight
13th August 2021, 08:23
Breen for sure with mech troubles on third run.

Like engine/turbo/ALS?

mousti
13th August 2021, 08:26
Like engine/turbo/ALS?I'm afraid it's engine ...

Matchbox826
13th August 2021, 08:27
If it is engine why keep running it

dimviii
13th August 2021, 08:34
Rallirinki / Teemu
@HartusvuoriWRC
·
2m
Oliver Solberg lost about 1,5 minutes on the second passage of #WRC #YpresRally shakedown due to a puncture.

mknight
13th August 2021, 08:46
Tanak sideways on SD:
https://twitter.com/El_Risson/status/1426101919118987271

AnttiL
13th August 2021, 08:51
Based on the shakedown, Ott has found something to make the Hyundai work for him.

In a tarmac rally like Croatia or Tour de Corse, most of the corners are "mid-speed", finding the limit of the grip and trying to go as fast as possible within that. In Ypres, there will be lots of tight handbrake turns and lots of flat out corners, but less of those "limit" corners, so maybe that works better for other drivers than Neuville?

Eli
13th August 2021, 08:55
Based on the shakedown, Ott has found something to make the Hyundai work for him.

In a tarmac rally like Croatia or Tour de Corse, most of the corners are "mid-speed", finding the limit of the grip and trying to go as fast as possible within that. In Ypres, there will be lots of tight handbrake turns and lots of flat out corners, but less of those "limit" corners, so maybe that works better for other drivers than Neuville?

That's all nice and well, but it won't help much if he'll suffer the same problem(s?) that Craig is enduring right now. Hopefully they'll get it fixed in time although I doubt they can do anything without incurring a penalty of sorts, unless it's an electrical fault or something. Again, all speculation, hopefully someone will enlighten the situation for us.

mknight
13th August 2021, 08:58
Well yes Hyundai seemed to struggle most in "longer", "mid-speed" corners and as you say and there are few of those here.

That said it's shakedown where they remember every corner after 2-3 passes, in rally when there is many more unpredictable changes in corner and the car needs to react it might be more difficult (ref. C3).

Another point is that I think the SD is faster than most rally stages and Tanak (like Rovanpera and Breen) are best on "fast" rallies/stages.

As a final thought with regards to championship his only (very small) hope is to push. He won't close up by ending 3-4th, so question is if he goes crazy push level. (Historically he seems to be unmotivated if he only should "finish", like in Monza last year).

So I hesitate to read too much into it.

EstWRC
13th August 2021, 09:00
Only a shakedown but I like too what I’m seeing from Tänak so far. He was nowhere in Croatia shakedown.

As it has some similarities with Germany then I’m not that surprised but we will see.

AnttiL
13th August 2021, 09:04
Tanak (like Rovanpera and Breen) are best on "fast" rallies/stages.

On gravel. On tarmac it's a different story.

However we must also remember Tänak won Rally Deutschland three last times it was run, every time it was run on the current gen cars, and that's probably the closest rally to Ypres. At the same time, Tour de Corse was never Tänak's strongest rally.

Also, in Ypres all the stages have fast, mid-speed and slow corners, plenty of them. Just mixed in different amounts. For example shakedown has four tight junctions in 9.81 km, Something like 0.4/km SS1 will have 16 tight junctions in 15 kilometres, so it's close to 1/km, so it will be a slower stage.

AnttiL
13th August 2021, 09:10
That said it's shakedown where they remember every corner after 2-3 passes, in rally when there is many more unpredictable changes in corner and the car needs to react it might be more difficult (ref. C3).

Although I think i20 on tarmac is the opposite of C3. C3 seemed to be oversteering as hell like a racing car, whereas i20 is more like a FWD car, understeering and only controllable by pulling handbrake (like Neuville does).

Fast Eddie WRC
13th August 2021, 09:17
Breen says he had a really good feeling with the car but some issues on each run mean his times dont reflect this.

satnav
13th August 2021, 09:39
A big point of Ieper is the cutting, the crews need to watch the stewards in case they lose the plot and start issuing penalties for cutting as has been done before, track limits need to stay in F1. There has been cases before where the full car has been off the road, I hope common sense prevails.

EstWRC
13th August 2021, 09:56
https://youtu.be/DFkzC0-r5A8

EstWRC
13th August 2021, 09:58
Here we go https://www.motorsport.com/wrc/news/toyota-high-puncture-risk-belgium-ypres/6646610/amp/?__twitter_impression=true

meh
13th August 2021, 10:03
Meanwhile, new Hyundai Rally2 car seems good at least in Shakedown: https://www.ewrc-results.com/shake/69179-renties-ypres-rally-belgium-2021/?ct=1018

doubled1978
13th August 2021, 10:03
Although I think i20 on tarmac is the opposite of C3. C3 seemed to be oversteering as hell like a racing car, whereas i20 is more like a FWD car, understeering and only controllable by pulling handbrake (like Neuville does).

Yes the C3 in its original set up was amazing on dry tarmac, see Meeke in Corsica/Spain in 2017. As they developed the car tho, it seemed to get better on gravel, but slower on tarmac, Ogier was always complaining about understeer on tarmac.
Hyundai was an understeer monster on tarmac to start with, but has got better over years. Still does it though, that’s why Neuville has this strange handbrake use to get the best from it.

MartinAG
13th August 2021, 10:05
I still waiting for DirtFish preview video. Where are they? :D

AnttiL
13th August 2021, 10:21
A big point of Ieper is the cutting, the crews need to watch the stewards in case they lose the plot and start issuing penalties for cutting as has been done before, track limits need to stay in F1. There has been cases before where the full car has been off the road, I hope common sense prevails.

I don't believe there will be such cases. At least in Rally Deutschland there was never any issues. In Monte and Safari there were clear shortcuts taken instead of just excessive cutting.

AnttiL
13th August 2021, 10:22
Yes the C3 in its original set up was amazing on dry tarmac, see Meeke in Corsica/Spain in 2017. As they developed the car tho, it seemed to get better on gravel, but slower on tarmac, Ogier was always complaining about understeer on tarmac.

Yes. We all remember "I can't drive this car" in Deutschland 2019.

Hyundai was an understeer monster on tarmac to start with, but has got better over years. Still does it though, that’s why Neuville has this strange handbrake use to get the best from it.

And this seems to be why other drivers than Neuville (and Sordo) have struggled with it.

denkimi
13th August 2021, 10:42
Yes. We all remember "I can't drive this car" in Deutschland 2019.

Was there not a similar complaint from meeke in some onboard from sweden? I remember hearing something about that but i never saw the video.

AnttiL
13th August 2021, 10:45
Was there not a similar complaint from meeke in some onboard from sweden? I remember hearing something about that but i never saw the video.

Yeah, probably in Sweden 2017 already....and then in late 2019 it was a fast car on gravel, both fast and technical roads.

mknight
13th August 2021, 10:56
Reason why I mentioned C3 was that it was great when the right setup was found for a specific road, but when conditions changed or were mixed, it suddenly had issues. ("narrow operating window").
I20 seemed to have similar setup issues in 2017-2018 on wet gravel, dunno if car changed or if they just learned how to set it up.

Therefore I am a bit cautious about times on multiple SD runs.

AnttiL
13th August 2021, 10:57
Therefore I am a bit cautious about times on multiple SD runs.

Yes but the results are similar on the first SD run.

mknight
13th August 2021, 11:00
In first run I'd say everyone was the same, 0,9s between top4 on 9,8 km is nothing.
We'll see soon enough.

EstWRC
13th August 2021, 11:07
https://youtu.be/eE35ZPbmbP0

https://youtu.be/dhCypUKbsig

denkimi
13th August 2021, 11:17
In first run I'd say everyone was the same, 0,9s between top4 on 9,8 km is nothing.
We'll see soon enough.
Differences will probably not be big. A few seconds per stage. Usually its hard to make up time here, so it's down to who makes the least mistakes.

AnttiL
13th August 2021, 11:31
We'll see soon enough.

Yes, but even being level with Neuville and Ogier is an improvement for Tänak, who was lagging behind in Croatia.

Rallyper
13th August 2021, 11:39
Here we go guys!!

EstWRC
13th August 2021, 11:40
good luck to everyone as its friday the 13th!

meh
13th August 2021, 11:41
Oh well, 3-day screen-prison started again...

EstWRC
13th August 2021, 11:46
amazing hindsights from Mads again

AnttiL
13th August 2021, 11:49
Not big gaps really between the top guys

EstWRC
13th August 2021, 11:50
Not big gaps really between the top guys

Neuville now stretching legs, 2 secs up in spl2

EstWRC
13th August 2021, 11:53
Kalle all over the place

Sulland
13th August 2021, 11:55
Tanak top concentrated now.

EstWRC
13th August 2021, 11:57
Järveoja corrected basicly every corner as much as i the onboard

AnttiL
13th August 2021, 11:59
Well done Ott!

EstWRC
13th August 2021, 12:00
Tänak: "car is behaving nice"

240RS
13th August 2021, 12:02
Looks like we are in for another early Hyundai show!!!

EstWRC
13th August 2021, 12:02
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/E8qupI_XsAAsOEc?format=jpg&name=small

meh
13th August 2021, 12:03
A bit déjà vu feeling already. Friday, Hyundai showing really good pace. Finish on Sunday, Toyota is taking the win and Hyundai is nowhere from points perspective.

AnttiL
13th August 2021, 12:05
Hyundai 1-2-3 so far

AnttiL
13th August 2021, 12:06
M-Sport cars like in a lower class, losing a lot.

EstWRC
13th August 2021, 12:06
Tänak continues his tradition this year with a stage win from every rally so far

Jewy46
13th August 2021, 12:07
Hyundai's looking good.

Happy to see Breen near the top, as someone mentioned previously he was a bit of an unknown coming in because of his poor tarmac form but having good experience here. He seems to be on it, which is great. Hopefully more to come!
Very impressed with Tanak

Tauri_J
13th August 2021, 12:09
A bit déjà vu feeling already. Friday, Hyundai showing really good pace. Finish on Sunday, Toyota is taking the win and Hyundai is nowhere from points perspective.

Hyundai is the fastest car but with no reliability.

mknight
13th August 2021, 12:10
It's like 3 categories so far...

Hyundais

Toyotas

Fords

Sulland
13th August 2021, 12:11
Is there enough power in the Fiesta compared to the two others? Seems it does not have the right oumpf on asphalt.

Fast Eddie WRC
13th August 2021, 12:19
Where's the top Rally2 cars FFS !?

AnttiL
13th August 2021, 12:20

Next stage starting soon already

AnttiL
13th August 2021, 12:20
Is there enough power in the Fiesta compared to the two others? Seems it does not have the right oumpf on asphalt.

More about chassis performance at high speed than engine power

TypeR
13th August 2021, 12:22
You know the answer :D
No cameras, cost so much..

and why should they improve over years :D

TypeR
13th August 2021, 12:24

Katsuta with Toyota almost same as Fourmaux and Loubet with Hyundai way slower..
It's rather the drivers...