PDA

View Full Version : Let's talk Redbull

Nitrodaze
24th January 2021, 08:01
We go into the 2021 season with a heightened excitement about Redbull's stance relative to Mercedes and Ferrari. With a very strong lineup of Max Verstapenn and Sergio Perez, we see a promise of a tougher competitiveness for Mercedes to ponder. This lineup is geared towards reducing the slack that Mercedes has enjoyed in the last two seasons at least. With this lineup, Redbull shall be better positioned to consolidate any opportunities that present themselves to them in this new season. But more importantly, they would demand a higher level of excellence from the second car at Mercedes. If Bottas has an off day, he would have both Redbulls to contend with. If the Mercedes car is having its typical heating problems, both cars shall find both Redbulls present to give them headache.

It all comes down to how much step forward Honda has managed to produce coming into this 2021 season. If they have gained some more performance relative to the Mercedes engine, all signs would suggests that Redbull may steal one of the championship titles from Mercedes this season.

https://motorsport-magazine.s3.eu-west-1.amazonaws.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/12/18093603/Max-Verstappen-with-Sergio-Perez.jpg

But having a change like introducing a new driver can be initially disruptive. Redbull noticeably underperformed in the opportunistic 2020 COVID season. A short season that seemed the sort of occassion that any team running closer to the Mercedes may be able to hassle them hard enough to steal one of the championships. We saw Redbull at its worst preparation to fight and with a lot of poor operational efficiencies at various points through the season. And uncharacteristically, Verstappen was not on his best form at those moments that mattered.

It certainly did not help starting the season with a DNF. Redbull must come into this 2021 season with a better preparation and a stubborn determination to succeed. They must ensure that they configure both cars to the best expectation of both of their drivers to have a remote chance of giving the most successfull team in F1's history the slightest notion of bother.

If Hamilton were to depart Mercedes, this would present Redbull with the highest opportunity ever, to snatch a championship or two from Mercedes. The reality is both teams would be dealing with bedding in a new driver to the team. But with more combined experience in the Redbull cars compared to Mercedes in the absence of Hamilton. And also both teams would be fielding driver pairing with no F1 championship winning experience.

However, the story would be slightly different if the incumbent seven times world champion Sir Lewis Hamilton remains in the car. The task would be slight harder for Redbull but not insurmountable with the right preparation, operational efficiency and car quality. The car has to be pin sharp and race weekends must be operationally at its very best for this to happen.

I remain excited to see if they can pull it off.

Zico
24th January 2021, 10:12
It would be nice to have another team challenge Merc to make things more interesting but I'm not expecting it at all. I've a feeling history is just going to repeat itself, especially if Lewis signs again.
If its Russell he may take a while to bed in properly and they may lose out on some wins/points that Lewis would win with his vast experience but its probably quite likely that Merc are still going to be strong enough again.

Redbull typically take 1/2 to 3/4 of the season to become competitive and by that time its already won.... or the reason they catch up could simply be that Merc have already moved on to next years car so it merely creates a bit of an illusion about where they really are and false hope.

Will Perez gel with the Redbull which would give them more race strategy options? After seeing so many other decent drivers careers badly damaged by that cursed seat, I'm intrigued with whats going to happen but I have absolutely no idea.
Ideally Sergio settles in instantly, can challenge Max (if they let him)... and we get to see some fireworks there.

The Black Knight
24th January 2021, 11:09
It would be nice to have another team challenge Merc to make things more interesting but I'm not expecting it at all. I've a feeling history is just going to repeat itself, especially if Lewis signs again.
If its Russell he may take a while to bed in properly and they may lose out on some wins/points that Lewis would win with his vast experience but its probably quite likely that Merc are still going to be strong enough again.

Redbull typically take 1/2 to 3/4 of the season to become competitive and by that time its already won.... or the reason they catch up could simply be that Merc have already moved on to next years car so it merely creates a bit of an illusion about where they really are and false hope.

Will Perez gel with the Redbull which would give them more race strategy options? After seeing so many other decent drivers careers badly damaged by that cursed seat, I'm intrigued with whats going to happen but I have absolutely no idea.
Ideally Sergio settles in instantly, can challenge Max (if they let him)... and we get to see some fireworks there.

This is why I think Mercedes should sign Russell. With or without Hamilton I think Mercedes will win both championships next year and, now going into his 3rd year of F1, I think Russell is ready for a top drive. Yes, there will be mistakes but he’s making far leas mistakes than Hamilton has made at McLaren. I’ve a good feeling about Russell that he’ll become one of the GOATs and he has already proven he is ready to drive a Mercedes this year.

On Perez, I hope he beats Verstappen or at least puts up a stiff challenge. Either way, this is Sergio’s second shot at a top drive. If he doesn’t grasp it with both hand he won’t be getting a third.

Nitrodaze
24th January 2021, 12:41
On Perez, I hope he beats Verstappen or at least puts up a stiff challenge. Either way, this is Sergio’s second shot at a top drive. If he doesn’t grasp it with both hand he won’t be getting a third.

Perez is one of those underated drivers that is as quick as any on the grid. Just ask Jenson Button for instance. He would give Verstapenn some very stiff competition. It would be a huge mistake for Verstapenn to underestimate Checco. His considerable experience relative to Verstapenn is what would surprise Verstapenn. Mercedes would do well not to underestimate Checco in a Redbull also. Because he is a driver who knows only too well, that this may be his last opportunity to driver a car capable of winning a championship under the certain conditions.

Nitrodaze
24th January 2021, 12:51

With Mercedes evidently less committed to its F1 programme, it would be interesting to see if the teams can continue to operate at its stratopheric standards. Hence there are hints and subtle signs that suggests that the 2021 season may be harder for Mercedes. They are the favorite on paper and have enjoyed very little real close challenges of late.

Hence, Redbull with its new lineup and a revamped Honda engine may be problematic for Mercedes. This picture is further complicated by the suggestions that Ferrari are likely to return to form with an all new engine. The Ferrari pairing of Leclerc and Sainz in a back to form Ferrari compounds the threat to Mercedes this season.

Hence it is not impossible that Redbull or Ferrari are able to steal one of the championships from Mercedes this season.

Nitrodaze
24th January 2021, 12:56
This is why I think Mercedes should sign Russell. With or without Hamilton I think Mercedes will win both championships next year and, now going into his 3rd year of F1, I think Russell is ready for a top drive. Yes, there will be mistakes but he’s making far leas mistakes than Hamilton has made at McLaren. I’ve a good feeling about Russell that he’ll become one of the GOATs and he has already proven he is ready to drive a Mercedes this year.

I want to see Russell in the Mercedes also, but alongside Hamilton. I like to see how he measures up to the Seven Times World Champion while still in his prime. I am also curious to see how Hamilton deals with a competitve younger driver like Russell. I think Russell would benefit greatly from the challenge and experience.

I think Russell needs at least one or two full season(s) in the Mercedes to be properly ready to establish himself as the dominant force in F1. Which is why Mercedes need Hamilton to keep the team on even keel in the meantime. Unfortunately, Bottas has not shown the level of consistency that would suggest that Mercedes would not suffer loses in the championship fight with Redbull and/or Ferrari, in a pairing with Russell. Besides Russell is still green, hence, he too would make mistakes due to inexperience. Crashing from tyre warming while in a points position last season is a good indication of that.

Therefore, l think Mercedes is very likely to lose one or both of the F1 championship if they enter this 2021 season with the pairing of Bottas and Russell. Because it would be a clear opportunity not to be missed by Redbull and/or Ferrari to snatch one of those championships from Mercedes. But l fully expect it to be a different proposition from 2022 onwards, with Mercedes returning to top dog position.

airshifter
24th January 2021, 14:33
Well we probably won't know until after testing is over, them maybe.

Adding Perez should help the team, but unless Honda brings more power they will only challenge Merc on occasion at the tracks that suit their good handling car.

As for the driver lineup, I expect some clashes, but they might be minimal due to the differing natures of their strong points. Max will go for pace almost every time, where Perez will often play the long game and compete with tire management strategies. Side by side they can both be fast, but the pairing might be the perfect opportunity for RB to split strategies to suit their drivers strongest games, all while tossing the proverbial wrench into Merc's strategy plan. At least I hope so.

I'd really like to see a season where the front of the grid is tighter. Watching the best drivers in the best cars battle it out is even more fun than the great midfield battles we have been seeing. And often when things tighten up, we learn who can really rise to the top more often. I don't think the Merc drivers have had to do that often this year, and more of the battles have been with the other Merc with only a few real exceptions.

Nitrodaze
24th January 2021, 14:38
Well we probably won't know until after testing is over, them maybe.

Adding Perez should help the team, but unless Honda brings more power they will only challenge Merc on occasion at the tracks that suit their good handling car.

As for the driver lineup, I expect some clashes, but they might be minimal due to the differing natures of their strong points. Max will go for pace almost every time, where Perez will often play the long game and compete with tire management strategies. Side by side they can both be fast, but the pairing might be the perfect opportunity for RB to split strategies to suit their drivers strongest games, all while tossing the proverbial wrench into Merc's strategy plan. At least I hope so.

I'd really like to see a season where the front of the grid is tighter. Watching the best drivers in the best cars battle it out is even more fun than the great midfield battles we have been seeing. And often when things tighten up, we learn who can really rise to the top more often. I don't think the Merc drivers have had to do that often this year, and more of the battles have been with the other Merc with only a few real exceptions.

Well said buddy :-)

Firstgear
25th January 2021, 15:53
The Ferrari pairing of Leclerc and Sainz in a back to form Ferrari compounds the threat to Mercedes this season.

I don't think it will work out that way. I think a faster Ferrari (they won't make a big enough jump to challenge the Merc's) will take points away from Red Bull, making it easier for Mercedes.

Nitrodaze
25th January 2021, 19:35
I don't think it will work out that way. I think a faster Ferrari (they won't make a big enough jump to challenge the Merc's) will take points away from Red Bull, making it easier for Mercedes.

Good point, it has always been like that in the past hasn't it. So Redbull have their work cut out, it seems.

F1nKS
25th January 2021, 20:05
This week should be the week for the vote on the engine freeze and Red Bulls future, right?

F1nKS
26th January 2021, 20:08
Evidently the vote on the engine freeze didn't take place. Next meeting it can be voted on is February 11th. Red Bull representative said

“The goodwill that existed on Friday for a vote no longer existed on Monday,” said a source at the team.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Red Bull walk away from F1 and invest in other areas. My gut says the signing of Cheko is more about them "going for it" because they know that engine freeze is not likely to happen.

Nitrodaze
27th January 2021, 08:35
Evidently the vote on the engine freeze didn't take place. Next meeting it can be voted on is February 11th. Red Bull representative said

I wouldn't be surprised to see Red Bull walk away from F1 and invest in other areas. My gut says the signing of Cheko is more about them "going for it" because they know that engine freeze is not likely to happen.

I would be surprised if they do. It would be a blatant anouncement of cowardice. They would be leaving because they can't hack it with Mercedes.

Besides, there are rumours that they have reached an agreement with Honda to take over the Honda Engine development and current infrastracture and resources. It is all positive. Probably they may do what Brawn did with the Honda chassis and win a championship with a Honda engine.

F1nKS
27th January 2021, 09:05
Besides, there are rumours that they have reached an agreement with Honda to take over the Honda Engine development and current infrastracture and resources. It is all positive. Probably they may do what Brawn did with the Honda chassis and win a championship with a Honda engine.

More than rumors - Red Bull officially have said they have an agreement with Honda to take over control of the engine IP. But they have said that only workable for them if they get the engine freeze.

https://www.autoweek.com/racing/formula-1/a35292717/red-bull-racing-gets-its-f1-engine-deal-for-2022-and-beyond/

Helmut Marko, is for the other teams and the FIA to agree to freeze engine development for the field. As for the Red Bull-Honda arrangement for 2022 and beyond, Marko told German media: "Everything has been settled between us. Everything is in the starting blocks.

"The talks were very constructive, they were very, very accommodating, and it can be a very competitive engine in the future even without the official factory support. All that is left for the OK is when we have written proof from the FIA that the development freeze on the engine side is coming," he added.

It possible that Marko is bluffing, even though he says he isn't. But with what COVID has done, it is now a different world out there now.

Marko warned that if the freeze is not put in place, "that would make Red Bull drastically rethink its situation in Formula 1."

"This is not blackmail," he said, adding that Red Bull does not have a plan B. "For reasons of reason and cost, an engine freeze is just the only way now with these ill-fated engines."

Nitrodaze
28th January 2021, 10:57
More than rumors - Red Bull officially have said they have an agreement with Honda to take over control of the engine IP. But they have said that only workable for them if they get the engine freeze.

https://www.autoweek.com/racing/formula-1/a35292717/red-bull-racing-gets-its-f1-engine-deal-for-2022-and-beyond/

It possible that Marko is bluffing, even though he says he isn't. But with what COVID has done, it is now a different world out there now.

Well, thankfully they didn't get it at the last meeting. An engine freeze only benefits Redbull and it would have been most detrimental to Ferrari that needs to develop a new engine after their previous one was ruled to be illegal. It also would not be beneficial to Renault that is working hard to close up the gap to Mercedes.

It was an unreasonable request. It would be detrimental to their brand to quit F1 in this circumstances. Because there would be an unpleasant stigma that would result as a consequence.

Jag_Warrior
30th January 2021, 16:54
Looks like Merc would be good either way. Renault, I don't know about. Though I suspect they'd like to further develop their P/U too. But yeah, Ferrari desperately need to develop their lump. Red Bull is a curious organization - and Marko is a curious fellow. One would think that a wise businessman would realize that the people you've worked to make enemies of over the years, with cute quips and sharp words, would not vote for anything that's in your favor.

Red Bull is a shark like all the other F1 teams. And like all sharks, when one gets cut and starts bleeding in the water, the others simply move in and start feeding on him once he shows weakness. I'd hate to see F1 lose two good teams. But I'm guessing that Mateschitz and Marko will take what they're given, whine about it for awhile and keep racing. Could be wrong. But we'll see,

F1nKS
11th February 2021, 15:56
Engine Freeze for 2022 was approved.

A proposal to freeze power unit development from 2022 has been given unanimous approval at a meeting of the Formula 1 Commission, with the FIA, Formula 1, the teams and the power unit manufacturers also aligning on lower cost, carbon neutral, sustainably fuelled hybrid units from 2025.

Nitrodaze
11th February 2021, 20:28
Engine Freeze for 2022 was approved.

We would not know yet what it means for F1 at this point. But l personally find it a sad day for F1. All creative avenues have been finally sucked out from the formula. What would be left would be racing but not really formula one. Aerodynamicists have been reduced to tweakers and engine designers have been made mostly redundant. The art of designing innovative F1 cars is dying an agonizing death. To the mundane art of building a kit F1 car to specification.

Fortitude
18th February 2021, 09:27
We would not know yet what it means for F1 at this point. But l personally find it a sad day for F1. All creative avenues have been finally sucked out from the formula. What would be left would be racing but not really formula one. Aerodynamicists have been reduced to tweakers and engine designers have been made mostly redundant. The art of designing innovative F1 cars is dying an agonizing death. To the mundane art of building a kit F1 car to specification.
Bring back Bernie Ecclestone and put him in charge.:)

Bernie Ecclestone on his cut of F1 money
Nov 8, 2017
Graham Bensinger

Bernie Ecclestone on the Concorde Agreement and how it created tremendous momentum to grow the sport of F1 racing. Plus, Bernie explains that other key players were originally happy to give him 30 percent of the profits.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lvQauQWz7SY

Bernie Ecclestone: My negotiating tactics
Nov 8, 2017
Graham Bensinger

Former CEO of Formula 1, Bernie Ecclestone, offers thoughts on his reputation as a tough negotiator and why he valued handshake agreements over signed contracts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EJ-YA65Tm7g

No Angel: The Secret Life of Bernie Ecclestone by Tom Bower
Mar 2, 2011
Waterstones

Private, mysterious and some say sinister, 79 year-old Bernie Ecclestone criss-crosses the globe in his private jet mixing with celebrities, statesmen and sporting heroes. Ecclestone's success has not just been to create a multi-billion pound global business but to resist repeated attempts to snatch the glittering prize from his control. Ecclestone has never before revealed how he graduated from selling second-hand cars in London's notorious Warren Street to become the major player he is today. He has finally decided to reveal his secrets: the deals, the marriages, the disasters and the successes on race tracks, in Downing Street, in casinos, on yachts and in the air. Surprisingly, he is telling his life's story to Tom Bower, described by Ecclestone as 'The Undertaker' - the man who buries reputations - and has given him access to all his friends and enemies. All have been told by Ecclestone, 'Tell him the truth, good or bad'. The result is a unique story of a simple, driven man who unlike shady tycoons offers an intriguing insight into the sport, business and, above all, the human spirit. 'I'll accept your facilities', Bower told Ecclestone, 'but if I find evidence of wrongdoing or hear any criticism, it will all be published'. After a brief moment, Ecclestone replied, 'Tom, I'm no angel'.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hq_O5KRbQkE

Bernie Ecclestone: Stripped of my power
Nov 8, 2017
Graham Bensinger

Bernie Ecclestone offers his takes on why Liberty Media didn’t think he was running Formula 1 correctly, his thoughts on Chase Carey as the new CEO and how he’s been silenced in his honorary role as chairman emeritus. Plus, Red Bull Racing’s Christian Horner says he expects Bernie to be frustrated with his current lack of influence in the sport he’s dedicated himself to growing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m1D6FbOhHqM

Nitrodaze
14th March 2021, 12:29
Well, Well, Well!
Who would have thought Redbull would start the season from exactly where they had finished it last season. Strong and super fast in the hands of both Verstappen and Perez. Perez handsomely justified his selection to fill that seat with a very strong showing from the get-go. He hit the floor running, demonstrating his immense experience.

Redbull has been the car with a clear performance advantage over the rest of the pack, throughout winter testing. It is also reasonably clear that winter testing is unreasonably short. But what we are also noticing, is that the gap between Redbull and the typical midfield has closed up. Ferrari seems to have recovered lost speed and could well be on par with the Redbull. Mclaren with a Mercedes engine and a funky rear diffuser has also closed right up to the Redbull as well. Redbull's sister team; Alpha Tauri is also showing great pace and closer to the senior team than ever. This bodes well for the very talented Pierre Gasly.

This scenario presents us with a mix of some very awesome drivers with direct links to Redbull racing. Ricciardo in the Mclaren, Sainz in the Ferrari, Gasly in the Alpha Tauri, Verstappen and now Perez in the Redbull. This mix is going to make this season very exciting to watch for a start.

Redbull is now sitting pretty in what seems like a very strong position to fight for both F1 championship titles. They have the enviable situation of starting the season better prepared than the Mercedes. And appear faster at this point. They shall be starting the season, very much as Vettel and Ferrari did in 2018. With a good chance of building a good haul of points at the beginning of the season. We all know Hamilton and Mercedes are going to ramp up their performance within three races at most.

So the question is, can Redbull and one of its drivers take the potential points advantage all the way to Abu Dhabi?

Zico
14th March 2021, 18:36
It is encouraging for them that they have had a good relatively trouble free 3 days but its just testing and no one will be showing their true pace so it wouldn't surprise me at all if Merc rock up for the opener and lock out the front row.
I'm more worried about Aston Martin being so far adrift tbh..

Nitrodaze
14th March 2021, 19:24
It is encouraging for them that they have had a good relatively trouble free 3 days but its just testing and no one will be showing their true pace so it wouldn't surprise me at all if Merc rock up for the opener and lock out the front row.
I'm more worried about Aston Martin being so far adrift tbh..

I think Mercedes have a bigger problem than they are letting on. That car is twichy. It snaps very easily when pushed hard. They have some work to do to get the chassis as stable as last year's car. It would not be surprising if they are off the pace at the first race.

Nitrodaze
17th June 2021, 10:47
I think Mercedes have a bigger problem than they are letting on. That car is twichy. It snaps very easily when pushed hard. They have some work to do to get the chassis as stable as last year's car. It would not be surprising if they are off the pace at the first race.

Can Redbull win at Paul Ricard? If they do, the constructor's championship would be in serious jeopardy for Mercedes.

Nitrodaze
16th November 2021, 10:20
What is the plan at Redbull to counteract Mercedes' new-found form? The constructor's title is looking shaky but the driver's title is still looking healthy. But can they pull off the win of the decade at the chequered flag of Abu Dhabi?

F1nKS
16th November 2021, 23:24
What is the plan at Redbull to counteract Mercedes' new-found form? The constructor's title is looking shaky but the driver's title is still looking healthy. But can they pull off the win of the decade at the chequered flag of Abu Dhabi?

I don't see how RBR can do anything to counteract Mercedes at this late state. The performance difference is not just a tweak here or there, but it is dominating.

Mercedes have found the magic bullet I believe, take a new ICE, turn the engine up as high as possible, rinse and repeat. A 5 place grid drop is nothing compared to the performance benifit they get above everybody else on the field.

Zico
16th November 2021, 23:31

Who knows... Do RB have quite the same scope to do what Merc are doing by turning it up to 12? I'm thinking probably not but only they will know the answer to that.

There is also a possibility that we could see the championship decided by a sudden PU failure if we are correct with our collective thoughts on how they are achieving it.

Nitrodaze
21st November 2021, 17:26
What a robust challenge Redbull has presented Mercedes this season. Their troublesome second seat has borne dividends in Perez's hands. They lead the driver's championship with 8 points and have recovered what was over 25 points at one point to a mere 5 points. It is without a doubt a tremendous performance we have seen from Redbull this season.

With Bottas a clear weak point for Mercedes, Redbull has the opportunity to reign in the constructor's championship in the next two races. The fastest lap point earned by Verstappen at Qatar could also easily be crucial at the end of the race at Abu Dhabi.

It ain't over until the fat lady sings!!!

Nitrodaze
27th November 2021, 14:49
Redbull currently holds the fastest pitstop of the season at 1.88 seconds achieved at the Hungarian GP. That is so quick, it is almost unbelievable.

F1nKS
27th November 2021, 18:59
With Bottas a clear weak point for Mercedes,

Bottas is probably the MVP of Mercedes. Had he not done the "Bottas Bullet" into Verstappen and Perez - Mercedes would have not won the driver or the constructor championship this year.

Nitrodaze
27th November 2021, 22:37
Bottas is probably the MVP of Mercedes. Had he not done the "Bottas Bullet" into Verstappen and Perez - Mercedes would have not won the driver or the constructor championship this year.

We could also say if Verstappen had not crashed into Hamilton twice, Hamilton and Mercedes would be well in the lead of the championship race at this point of the season. What ifs do not cut it? What actually is, that is what counts

F1nKS
28th November 2021, 23:16
We could also say if Verstappen had not crashed into Hamilton twice, Hamilton and Mercedes would be well in the lead of the championship race at this point of the season. What ifs do not cut it? What actually is, that is what counts

Hamilton knocked out Verstappen
Bottas knocked out Verstappen (and Perez)
Verstappen knocked out Hamilton

Perez needs to do his part again Hamilton to make it all equitable

airshifter
29th November 2021, 00:51

That alone was a big blow to RB this year. The tire at Baku was costly as well. Really at the end of the day if Merc end up on top it's simply due to some luck on their part and misfortune on RBs part. Overall neither the team strategy calls or the driving has been on par with RB this year except for a few races here and there. RB has been fairly consistent most of the year, with the biggest flaw in the operation seeming to be Perez really.

With the momentum into the final races, Merc looks poised to claw back both titles, but it might not be quite enough.

I hope next years cars end up even closer in performance, and with less spread among the field.

F1nKS
29th November 2021, 02:32
That alone was a big blow to RB this year. The tire at Baku was costly as well. Really at the end of the day if Merc end up on top it's simply due to some luck on their part and misfortune on RBs part. Overall neither the team strategy calls or the driving has been on par with RB this year except for a few races here and there. RB has been fairly consistent most of the year, with the biggest flaw in the operation seeming to be Perez really.

With the momentum into the final races, Merc looks poised to claw back both titles, but it might not be quite enough.

I hope next years cars end up even closer in performance, and with less spread among the field.

I also hope the field really tightens up and there are multiple constructors that can win on any given weekend. That is what got to happen if F1 going to survive and succeed in the U.S. market. Americans love the underdog.

Nitrodaze
29th November 2021, 07:16
Hamilton knocked out Verstappen
Bottas knocked out Verstappen (and Perez)
Verstappen knocked out Hamilton

Perez needs to do his part again Hamilton to make it all equitable

Potatoes, Patatoes yadda yadda.
Bottas acted unintentionally. But Silverstone and Monza were intentional. Silverstone and Monza should not have happened if Verstappen was not unnecessarily aggressive. Go watch those races again l would say.

F1nKS
30th November 2021, 01:46
Bottas acted unintentionally. But Silverstone and Monza were intentional. Silverstone and Monza should not have happened if Verstappen was not unnecessarily aggressive. Go watch those races again l would say.

Hamilton was signaling prior to Silverstone about how he was going to be aggressive and not give Verstappen any quarter.

From Damon Hill

Lewis Hamilton has inflicted a “psychological dent” in Max Verstappen with his renewed aggression at Silverstone.

“I’ve never seen him do something unsporting in a race particularly. That was about as close as you’ll get to something you’d say ‘that was a little bit over the top’. But it wasn’t, because I’m sitting here going ‘he had to do it’.

Hamilton has always been an aggressive driver when pushed (he just hasn't been pushed lately until this year).

Previously Hamilton has said:

I drive aggressively because my car is not fast enough at times and I have to push and be aggressive.”

The bottom line is Hamilton got the penalty at Silverstone, not Max.

Anytime Hamilton is under pressure - he plays a little dirty. You don't become a world champion for being a choir boy.

denkimi
30th November 2021, 16:47
Weird to see you admit hamilton took verstappen out intentionally.

But hey, better late than never.

Nitrodaze
30th November 2021, 21:34
Hamilton was signaling prior to Silverstone about how he was going to be aggressive and not give Verstappen any quarter.

From Damon Hill

Hamilton has always been an aggressive driver when pushed (he just hasn't been pushed lately until this year).

Previously Hamilton has said:

The bottom line is Hamilton got the penalty at Silverstone, not Max.

Anytime Hamilton is under pressure - he plays a little dirty. You don't become a world champion for being a choir boy.

Verstappen was aggressive from the start of the season and Hamilton tried to stay cool. Silverstone was about Hamilton telling Verstappen to back off. We all knew he was going to be aggressive at Silverstone. The impressive thing was, Verstappen did not back off.