PDA

View Full Version : Hamilton 2021 Contract

F1nKS
14th January 2021, 15:29
So there is rumors/discussion that the delay in Hamilton contract is what he is demanding:

1. 4 Yr Contract, 40 million per year
2. AMG-one Hyper car (3 million)
3. 10% share of Mercedes team bonuses
4. Hamilton want a place at the table in the Mercedes "green" programs

Supposedly Mercedes is balking and would rather replace him with Russell. Ineos want's Hamilton. Wolf is on the fence. But one report I saw that Ineos might be willing to pay his salary directly which may break the deadlock.

Zico
14th January 2021, 16:09
Yes, if its true his contract demands are not very realistic in this current economic climate. Totally understandable reaction from Merc and a masterstroke putting Russell in the car to strengthen their negotiating position.

I'd love to see Russell in the Merc for 21 but I reckon either Ineos will pay it... or Hamilton will back down.. He needs Mercedes more than Mercedes feel that they need him.

Nitrodaze
14th January 2021, 16:10
So there is rumors/discussion that the delay in Hamilton contract is what he is demanding:

Supposedly Mercedes is balking and would rather replace him with Russell. Ineos want's Hamilton. Wolf is on the fence. But one report I saw that Ineos might be willing to pay his salary directly which may break the deadlock.

I think Mercedes may be slowly withdrawing from F1. They have started by selling most of their shares to Ineos. Hence l doubt Hamilton would want a four year contract. But if so, he is worth every single cent of the 40 million.

But l can see the move to Russell to save cost with reduced involvement by Mercedes. It poses a real problem for Ineos because they have bought into the Mercedes-Hamilton golden goose but with Hamilton leaving would essentially leave them with a goose that may probably lay a golden egg or some thing resembling an egg.

The smart move is to jettison Bottas and promote Russell into the second seat. Hamilton has nothing to lose if he walks today. He would be walking away at the top of his game, unbeaten and with seven times world titles under his belt. He has nothing else to prove. He has done it all.

Mercedes need Hamilton more than he needs them. Well, at least to win that last most coveted F1 title in its current form before it becomes a rat race. I am sure Hamilton would want that as would Woolf l guess. To make it a silver wash from 2014 to the very end of this era of F1 racing in 2021. The Mercedes of the 2022 era may be very much a shadow of its current guise. There may be half the commitment of Mercedes to the team thereon.

What he is asking is not unreasonable at all, in the scheme of things. Considering the amount of money involved from constructors championship revenue and revenue generated from the incredible advertising that the F1 success brings. Plus having Hamilton in their car, who also happens to be the most marketable sports personality of the last five years.

It would be foolhardy to base a decision on the flash in one race offered by Russell. That is not to say Russell may not be successfull. But he has to be given time to grow into that world champion that he promises to be, rather than place unfair pressure on his shoulders and burn him out in the process. It did not work for Albon or even Gasly at Redbull, l wonder why it would work for Russell at Mercedes.

pantealex
14th January 2021, 16:59
AMG-1 Hypercar was promised to Bottas year ago...
so it´s 100% sure that Lewis had option for it also.

Jag_Warrior
14th January 2021, 18:32
It would be foolhardy to base a decision on the flash in one race offered by Russell. That is not to say Russell may not be successfull. But he has to be given time to grow into that world champion that he promises to be, rather than place unfair pressure on his shoulders and burn him out in the process.

I very much agree with you that Russell is a promising talent, and could/should win a WDC in the future (in the right car) - certainly he could hold his own at the sharp end of the grid. But as I've said about Max and Leclerc, winning a race here and there is MUCH different than being under the grind of competing for a championship, week in and week out. Heck, just ask our pal Nico Rosberg. The pressure of competing for his maiden WDC almost drove him to the funny farm. He looks so much more at peace with the world now though. As you're saying here, ease George into the seat.

And yeah, while Lewis may not get everything that he's asking for (which is how one negotiates), I feel certain that he'll get what he really wants, and Mercedes/Ineos will be able to save face too.

F1nKS
16th January 2021, 04:23
Speculation is:

1. Mercedes only want to give Hamilton a 1 yr, 35 Million contract

I can understand why they would want to only do short term contracts. Nothing is normal, and nobody knows when normal will be back.

2. Hamilton wants a say who will be racing along side of him after next season.

I kind of figured this was already the case and one of the reason why they keep Bottas. He is good enough to support Hamilton, but not is a real threat. Plus they seem to get along.

3. If Hamilton would leave after 2021 season - Mercedes thinks it could have a lineup of Verstappen/Russell for 2022.

Nitrodaze
16th January 2021, 09:19
Speculation is:

1. Mercedes only want to give Hamilton a 1 yr, 35 Million contract

I can understand why they would want to only do short term contracts. Nothing is normal, and nobody knows when normal will be back.

2. Hamilton wants a say who will be racing along side of him after next season.

I kind of figured this was already the case and one of the reason why they keep Bottas. He is good enough to support Hamilton, but not is a real threat. Plus they seem to get along.

3. If Hamilton would leave after 2021 season - Mercedes thinks it could have a lineup of Verstappen/Russell for 2022.

Interesting speculation. I doubt Hamilton would want a longer contract than one year anyway. He had alot of soul searching openly about when to stop racing and he spoke alot about coming to the end of his racing career. I suspect, Ineos and Mercedes probably want him to commit to a longer contract.

Verstapenn's contract at Redbull expires in 2023 but there are rumours that he has an exit clause that allows him to leave in 2022 if the team does not meet its promise to deliver a championship winning car. I can see Mercedes wanting to take on Verstapenn in 2022. A verstapenn- Russell pairing makes sense.

I very much doubt Hamilton cares much about who is in the other car. That is more a headache for Woolf and Mercedes management. A less acrimonious pairing than Rosberg has clearly been their desire. That said, l fully expect the Verstapenn-Russell pairing to be full of fireworks like the Vertapenn-Sainz pairing at Torro Rosso. And l look forward to it.

I have a feeling that Hamilton would hang his helmet at the end of the 2021 season and Woolf would quietly withdraw soon after. Bottas would be sent on his merry way with Woolf's departure. And a new management would sweep in with a new driver lineeup.

Personally, l think they would have a more agreeable pairing with Russell and Gasly. I think both of these guys would be awesome in the Mercedes.

airshifter
16th January 2021, 11:29
I suspect they will work it out, but really for the most part that is probably going to be up to Lewis. In the end the people paying the salaries most likely already have a number to work with, and they will do their best to retain Lewis while staying below that number. As with anyone in his position, Lewis will do what he can to make them exceed that number if it's less than he thinks he is worth.

Not a knock on Lewis or any other driver, but I personally think that drivers and many other athletes are grossly overpaid, and have been for quite some time. Being in the forefront of any major sport brings them a lot of value in endorsements and "other than contract" pay, and most of them got to the top because they love competing. There is always the risk of injury, and in some sports that is almost a given if they are physical enough. But insurance can cover them beyond even the contract usually regardless. IIRC Schumacher was getting something like $100K a day to sit out an injury.

Once again, not unique to Lewis, but in the specific field of racing a good/great car is a huge part of the equation. The better the car is, the more options the team obviously has, and Mercedes has had the best car for years now. Granted Lewis is a top rate driver, and deserving of a high buck contract. But there are plenty of other drivers who could win races in that car, and a lot of them could probably be had for less money.

Nitrodaze
16th January 2021, 14:47
I suspect they will work it out, but really for the most part that is probably going to be up to Lewis. In the end the people paying the salaries most likely already have a number to work with, and they will do their best to retain Lewis while staying below that number. As with anyone in his position, Lewis will do what he can to make them exceed that number if it's less than he thinks he is worth.

Not a knock on Lewis or any other driver, but I personally think that drivers and many other athletes are grossly overpaid, and have been for quite some time. Being in the forefront of any major sport brings them a lot of value in endorsements and "other than contract" pay, and most of them got to the top because they love competing. There is always the risk of injury, and in some sports that is almost a given if they are physical enough. But insurance can cover them beyond even the contract usually regardless. IIRC Schumacher was getting something like $100K a day to sit out an injury.

Once again, not unique to Lewis, but in the specific field of racing a good/great car is a huge part of the equation. The better the car is, the more options the team obviously has, and Mercedes has had the best car for years now. Granted Lewis is a top rate driver, and deserving of a high buck contract. But there are plenty of other drivers who could win races in that car, and a lot of them could probably be had for less money.

I thought the same of earnings of sport personalities a while back until l took a closer look at the money involved in sport. And l found that it is quite staggeringly high. What we ordinary people see is the relatively small amount that is paid to sportsmen compared to the amount of revenue that sporting events generate through the year. Schumacher was paid 70 million at this point of his career by Ferrari l was told recently. Hence in comparison, what Hamilton is asking (assuming the figure in point is what it is), is not unreasonable. I was expecting between 60 to 80 million actually. 40 million is a very reasonable figure. If l was Hamilton, l would ask for nothing less than 60 million.

I accept the car is a big part of the equation. And l hear your point that there are many drivers on the grid that can win races with this car. There are a very few that can win world championship titles year in year out consistently like Lewis. I would think Mercedes and Ineos would consider a proven candidate as their foremost option. But that said, they took a chance with Hamilton in 2013, they could do the same with Verstapenn or Gasly or Russell. The main difference is that Hamilton had already proved he can do it with one title already under his belt when he joined Mercedes.

This time round, they would have to take a leap of faith with most of the elegible candidates. And without the wise head of Niki Lauda to steer them.

Zico
16th January 2021, 16:52
Forbes states that Schumachers salary peaked at an estimated $38 million in 1999, during his fourth season with Ferrari.

The Black Knight
16th January 2021, 18:10
To be frank, I think Mercedes should give Hamilton the middle finger and swoop for George Russell from Williams. Buying out his contract would be cheaper than Hamilton’s demands and they’d still win both championships. Hamilton is good but he’s not that good and his demands, if these claims are accurate, are absolutely ludicrous.

Also, I think he recognises how good Russell is and that’s why he wants a teammate veto. He knows he can beat Bottas but he probably doesn’t want to chance Russell in 2022.

Zico
16th January 2021, 20:34
To be frank, I think Mercedes should give Hamilton the middle finger and swoop for George Russell from Williams. Buying out his contract would be cheaper than Hamilton’s demands and they’d still win both championships. Hamilton is good but he’s not that good and his demands, if these claims are accurate, are absolutely ludicrous.

Also, I think he recognises how good Russell is and that’s why he wants a teammate veto. He knows he can beat Bottas but he probably doesn’t want to chance Russell in 2022.

I've read that Merc only want to give him a one year deal while he wants four... and one of the other rumours is that he also wants a say on who his team mate would be... if I was Merc that would be way off base for me too. Russell would be signed straight away, I certainly wouldn't be wasting any time to see who blinks first.

If it doesnt happen then maybe there is a lot of truth in it... but until then I'm taking it all with a pinch of salt.

Nitrodaze
17th January 2021, 07:28

The middle finger would be a great way to treat a champion that has brought Mercedes seven cnonstructors titles and six driver titles. I suppose it is great none of us are part of the negotiation team for Mercedes.

Besides, all we have to go on, are rumours and speculations. The bottom line is there is a value in Euros for a Seven times world champion still in his prime and capable of winning more championships. It would be fair for Mercedes to pay that value. Anything less would be disrespectful to the service provided by Hamilton. And would indicate to future drivers what Mercedes really think of them.

I think 40 Million is low but respectable. Negotiations are just what it means, he says, they say and combined they meet in the middle.

That said, l would love to see Russell in the Mercedes as soon as possible.

Zico
17th January 2021, 11:50

The middle finger would be a great way to treat a champion that has brought Mercedes seven cnonstructors titles and six driver titles. I suppose it is great none of us are part of the negotiation team for Mercedes.

Besides, all we have to go on, are rumours and speculations. The bottom line is there is a value in Euros of a Seven times world champion still in his prime and capable of winning more championships. It would be fair for Mercedes to pay that value. Anything less would be disrespectful to the service provided by Hamilton. And would indicate to future drivers what Mercedes really think of them.

I think 40 Million is low but respectable. Negotiations are just what it means, he says, they say and combined they meet in the middle.

That said, l would love to see Russell in the Mercedes as soon as possible.

Merc provided Lewis with a dominant car. If they hadn't provided it or if he had been driving for any other team, he wouldn't have all his 7 WDC's or Merc inflated stock value. Thats just an undeniable fact that you seem to be overlooking.

We are entering probably the biggest global recession since WW2, people are business's, jobs and even starving all over the world.. but what the heck lets ask for a wage increase. Moral bankruptcy and greed at its finest.

Nitrodaze
17th January 2021, 17:10
Merc provided Lewis with a dominant car. If they hadn't provided it or if he had been driving for any other team, he wouldn't have all his 7 WDC's or Merc inflated stock value. Thats just an undeniable fact that you seem to be overlooking.

We are entering probably the biggest global recession since WW2, people are business's, jobs and even starving all over the world.. but what the heck lets ask for a wage increase. Moral bankruptcy and greed at its finest.

It is only a reccession because of the lockdowns. When Vaccines have been rolled out to all, things may return to normal. So it should not be looked at from a temporary situation stand point.

F1nKS
17th January 2021, 19:04
It is only a reccession because of the lockdowns. When Vaccines have been rolled out to all, things may return to normal. So it should not be looked at from a temporary situation stand point.

The problem you have is countries have been printing/borrowing money to try an minimize the effects of the deepening recession and to try and keep them from being a "depression". The recession the world is in is still growing. But even after Covid-19 is put behind us (hopefully), there is consequences to all the borrowing - it will mean governments will have to take austerity measures and/or raise taxes - this will hamper economic growth, reinvestment and recovery.

The question for 2021 is how long and deep the recession be? And when economic growth starts how strong will it be? Most analyst seem to be only predicting most 2-3% growth. There will be pressure on companies to cut spending in areas that are not essential.

Zico
17th January 2021, 20:20

The UKs debt is currently at 105% of its GDP, it was at 85% in June iirc, also.. the Bank of England have printed off over £280 billion in cash (quantative easing) which doesnt hit us as debt, it devalues our currency/increases inflation instead.
This isn't going to suddenly end and everything goes back to normal. The financial impact of this is going to be felt for many, many years once this is over..

You should check out the world debt clocks, not pretty.

https://www.usdebtclock.org/world-debt-clock.html

truefan72
17th January 2021, 23:43

I believe Planet F1 is the originator of this rumor which cast everything in doubt.

I think Hamilton was be asking for a 2-year contract not a 4 year, but with an option for the next 2 years after that.
that $40m per year is not unreasonable given his contributions to the team and the currency value.
Let's not forget that in 1996 MSC signed a 2 year Ferrari contract for $60m which is about $100.4million inflation adjusted today.
MSC salary peaked at $38M per year back then.

I'm also sure they would accommodate him on the other 3 components if he requested them.
He helped develop the hypercar and is very involved with green initiatives as well. so having him as an ambassador of sorts will only elevate those programs.
I believe they are much closer than the media wants to sensationalize it and there really is plenty of time to sort it out.

Time will tell and we shall see what emerges.

truefan72
17th January 2021, 23:57

besides, Mercedes is not getting paid from fans showing up at the races. They are getting paid through the FIA/FOM deals and their sponsorships, who in turn get paid primarily through their sponsorship and media (TV, etc.) contracts. If anything 2020 was an even more profitable year for them and all involved, except for the maligned race organizers. Certainly from the captive tv audience alone. So the recession has nothing to do with their bottom line. The Mercedes team itself is exceptionally profitable and well funded. And a branding behemoth. So much so that ineos, so it fit to invest heavily in the team.
Hamilton is a global icon and legendary driver, as well as a very big part of the reason this team is where it is.
TBH I'm surprised he isn't asking for more. Yet some folks on here (predictably) downplay his efforts and were probably the same folks cheering on MSC to get all he can back in the day. This is further bolstered by the fact that these same folks had nothing to say when Vettel got his immense Ferrari contract and Verstappen his RBR contract.

oh well

F1nKS
18th January 2021, 18:29
I believe Planet F1 is the originator of this rumor which cast everything in doubt.

There are plenty of sites discussing the "rumors". Some are now characterizing the discussions as "sources" are saying.

I think Hamilton was be asking for a 2-year contract not a 4 year, but with an option for the next 2 years after that.
that $40m per year is not unreasonable given his contributions to the team and the currency value.
Let's not forget that in 1996 MSC signed a 2 year Ferrari contract for $60m which is about $100.4million inflation adjusted today.
MSC salary peaked at $38M per year back then.

When Mercedes is being projected to have reduce their headcounts by 10,000 and facing angry investors, it is not going to go over well if they are paying a record salary to a driver. Regardless who it is.

Ola Kallenius, Chairman of Daimler's Board of Directors, is not served by that attitude. He has had to cut many jobs as a result of the crisis caused by the coronavirus and would not understand why the Formula 1 driver should still have the same budget as in 2020.

https://www.gpblog.com/en/news/76191/ineos-must-offer-a-solution-now-that-hamilton-refuses-to-hand-in-money.html

I think Hamilton over values his worth. I think Russell help show that his value is not as high as he thinks - that is why Hamilton came back so quick after covid even though he wasn't fully recovered - he wanted to minimize the loss to his value.

It will be interesting to see who blinks.

Nitrodaze
18th January 2021, 20:17
There are plenty of sites discussing the "rumors". Some are now characterizing the discussions as "sources" are saying.
This is how fake news is propagated as fact. Rumour suddenly becomes source. Come dude, you are smarter than that. WTF

When Mercedes is being projected to have reduce their headcounts by 10,000 and facing angry investors, it is not going to go over well if they are paying a record salary to a driver. Regardless who it is.

Reduction in head count is due to the 2022 regulations which separate operational costs from Driver wages. There is no conflict here.

https://www.gpblog.com/en/news/76191/ineos-must-offer-a-solution-now-that-hamilton-refuses-to-hand-in-money.html

I think Hamilton over values his worth. I think Russell help show that his value is not as high as he thinks - that is why Hamilton came back so quick after covid even though he wasn't fully recovered - he wanted to minimize the loss to his value.

It will be interesting to see who blinks.

The real issue here is whether the Mercedes F1 team can afford Hamilton. If they can't he would walk without regrets. Hamilton's value is not overvalued, it is what it is. If you want the best, then you have to pay for it. That is why some drive Toyota Prius and others drive Porsches. You pay for what you get. You could argue that Porsches are over valued. That is your personal view. Those that buy Porsches think differently. It is simply a matter of perspective. You are obviously a Prius kind of guy.

Besides, Hamilton would ask for what he thinks he is worth. It is up to him to state his worth.

F1nKS
18th January 2021, 20:52
This is how fake news is propagated as fact. Rumour suddenly becomes source. Come dude, you are smarter than that. WTF

When media outlets are quoting the CEO of Mercedes it is not fake news. If there was no issues to be negotiated/resolved then the deal would have been completed just like the other 19 drivers on the grid.

Reduction in head count is due to the 2022 regulations which separate operational costs from Driver wages. There is no conflict here.

When Mercedes is talking headcount, they are talking corporate Mercedes headcount and how it is perceived to investors. Formula 1 is cost center to Mercedes. They need it to be profit center, especially as they face the global economic downturn as a corporation.

The real issue here is whether the Mercedes F1 team can afford Hamilton.

That is not the issue at all. It has never been an issue of whether Mercedes can afford Hamilton, it only an issue of whether Mercedes want to pay for him. The one curve ball is Mercedes is now an equal partner with two others.

I fully expect them to reach agreement, even if it one of the other owners picking up the cost of Hamilton contract.

If you want the best, then you have to pay for it.

When Hamilton is not out in front - he gets flustered and makes mistakes. Fortunately for him Mercedes has put him in a car that so far ahead of the rest of the grid he doesn't have to worry about it.

Nitrodaze
18th January 2021, 23:50
When media outlets are quoting the CEO of Mercedes it is not fake news. If there was no issues to be negotiated/resolved then the deal would have been completed just like the other 19 drivers on the grid.
I doubt the CEO of Mercedes would be talking to the press about ongoing negotiations. It would be simply irresponsible. So fake news buddy.

That is not the issue at all. It has never been an issue of whether Mercedes can afford Hamilton, it only an issue of whether Mercedes want to pay for him. The one curve ball is Mercedes is now an equal partner with two others.

I fully expect them to reach agreement, even if it one of the other owners picking up the cost of Hamilton contract.
Well, the fact remain the same. Can they pay to keep Hamilton or not? Either way, l suspect Hamilton would not be bothered. He has done it all.

When Hamilton is not out in front - he gets flustered and makes mistakes. Fortunately for him Mercedes has put him in a car that so far ahead of the rest of the grid he doesn't have to worry about it.

I think you demonstrate bias here. Because if you have watched Hamilton throughout the Hybrid era, your statemernt is the last thing that would cross your mind about the seven times world champion. If you don't understand motor racing, maybe you should keep to what you know.

F1nKS
19th January 2021, 01:38
I doubt the CEO of Mercedes would be talking to the press about ongoing negotiations. It would be simply irresponsible. So fake news buddy.

Happens all the time in sports. And his statements were made well before negotiations had started.

Well, the fact remain the same. Can they pay to keep Hamilton or not? Either way, l suspect Hamilton would not be bothered. He has done it all.

LOL, how would you know whether Hamilton is bothered or not?

I think you demonstrate bias here.

We all have bias here. You have a biased toward Hamilton, I'm not biased towards Hamilton. It called different perspectives.

Nitrodaze
19th January 2021, 07:00
LOL, how would you know whether Hamilton is bothered or not?

I think the phrase l used was " I suspect". Meaning l don't know but guess that he might not be bothered.

We all have bias here. You have a biased toward Hamilton, I'm not biased towards Hamilton. It called different perspectives.

I am reacting to your bias against Hamilton. I find any sort of disparaging of any person of talent very disagreeable. When someone such as yourself come into this motorsport forums to undermine many years of work that has resulted in the cumulation of seven drivers championship titles. I find it a very poor understanding of what it takes to win one title not to speak of seven.

It may be because you have a dislike for the man. Or are jealous of his success or other reasons. Whatever the case, for those of us who have watched intently every season that has resulted in him winning each title and properly understand the rigor that went into getting ahead and staying ahead, would challenge this sort of views.

Nitrodaze
19th January 2021, 09:17

That is one theory. But the flip side is Mercedes may not have won seven constructors title with Hamilton in a Ferrari either. As a matter of fact, Ferrari may have won the constructors and driver title from 2017 todate with Hamilton in their car some may argue.

The Mercedes has not always been the fastest car.

Nitrodaze
19th January 2021, 09:26
The problem you have is countries have been printing/borrowing money to try an minimize the effects of the deepening recession and to try and keep them from being a "depression". The recession the world is in is still growing. But even after Covid-19 is put behind us (hopefully), there is consequences to all the borrowing - it will mean governments will have to take austerity measures and/or raise taxes - this will hamper economic growth, reinvestment and recovery.

The question for 2021 is how long and deep the recession be? And when economic growth starts how strong will it be? Most analyst seem to be only predicting most 2-3% growth. There will be pressure on companies to cut spending in areas that are not essential.

The thing is, every country's economy is affected by the pandemic. The top five economies are severely impacted and show borrowing well in excess of GDP. Japan for instance is over 200% their GDP. With Italy 163% and Portugal 163% effectively pulling the eurozone close to the limits of their GDP. My point is, they would all recover in unison to their pre-covid percentages as the pandemic eases.

Bysides, 40 Million in pandemic economy is worth a lot less than in 2018 for instance. Hence, Hamiton may probably be getting what he has always been paid; inflation adjusted.

Zico
19th January 2021, 11:12
As a matter of fact, Ferrari may have won the constructors and driver title from 2017 todate with Hamilton in their car some may argue.

Really?? :D

That would be perhaps slightly funny if it was a joke. Just don't expect anyone to take you seriously and engage in a debate with you when you come out with stuff like this.

denkimi
19th January 2021, 13:25
That is one theory. But the flip side is Mercedes may not have won seven constructors title with Hamilton in a Ferrari either. As a matter of fact, Ferrari may have won the constructors and driver title from 2017 todate with Hamilton in their car some may argue.

The Mercedes has not always been the fastest car.
Its funny because you actually believe it. :lol:

Mercedes doesn't need hamilton, they can put in pretty much every decent driver and win both titles.

Hamilton on the other hand has no other options. He can stay at mercedes and accept their terms or retire.

Nitrodaze
19th January 2021, 14:37
Its funny because you actually believe it. :lol:

Mercedes doesn't need hamilton, they can put in pretty much every decent driver and win both titles.

Hamilton on the other hand has no other options. He can stay at mercedes and accept their terms or retire.

That may be the case actually. He has been saying he might stop racing. Probably now is the time to do so. He has done it all now, so why not.

Nitrodaze
19th January 2021, 14:45
Really?? :D

That would be perhaps slightly funny if it was a joke. Just don't expect anyone to take you seriously and engage in a debate with you when you come out with stuff like this.

Yes really. Ferrari was just as fast as the Mercedes in 2017. It was faster in 2018 and 2019. Yes the teams made some mistakes as did Vettel. Vettel was leading the championship early 2018 before he crashed it in the rain at the German GP. In the right hands, that car could have won one of the championships or even both.

So yes really.

Zico
19th January 2021, 15:08
Yes really. Ferrari was just as fast as the Mercedes in 2017. It was faster in 2018 and 2019. Yes the teams made some mistakes as did Vettel. Vettel was leading the championship early 2018 before he crashed it in the rain at the German GP. In the right hands, that car could have won one of the championships or even both.

So yes really.

So after Ferrari got sanctioned by the FIA and lost a huge chunk of PU performance after Montreal, Lewis would have climbed out the car and pushed it making up the 10-15mph deficit on the long straights to stop Hass's passing him?

I don't think you actually do believe it... Lewis is obviously a top driver but you just dont want to admit that its the car is the real superstar. Russell only proved what most of us already knew.

denkimi
19th January 2021, 15:10
That may be the case actually. He has been saying he might stop racing. Probably now is the time to do so. He has done it all now, so why not.
Then again, why would he? He could always decide to quit like rosberg did, but we would most likely have known at the end of the season if he wanted that. He would not negotiate for months if he didn't want to continue.

But if he wants to continue, he will have to take what mercedes wants to offer him. They want him, but they don't need him.

No other team can give him a better car, nor will they give him a 40 million dollar salary.

Nitrodaze
19th January 2021, 15:39
Then again, why would he? He could always decide to quit like rosberg did, but we would most likely have known at the end of the season if he wanted that. He would not negotiate for months if he didn't want to continue.

But if he wants to continue, he will have to take what mercedes wants to offer him. They want him, but they don't need him.

No other team can give him a better car, nor will they give him a 40 million dollar salary.

Well you said it, this is an invitation to retirement. And like Rosburg, he would be leaving unbeaten with his head high. He does not have to race anymore really. I would miss him but if he continues with a crap deal, it would eat him up from the inside. Retirement is better.

Nitrodaze
19th January 2021, 15:41
So after Ferrari got sanctioned by the FIA and lost a huge chunk of PU performance after Montreal, Lewis would have climbed out the car and pushed it making up the 10-15mph deficit on the long straights to stop Hass's passing him?

I don't think you actually do believe it... Lewis is obviously a top driver but you just dont want to admit that its the car is the real superstar. Russell only proved what most of us already knew.

Sometimes l wonder what planet you are on.

Zico
19th January 2021, 18:06
Sometimes l wonder what planet you are on.

Right.

Nitro.. I'm curious as to what age group you fall into?

Nitrodaze
20th January 2021, 15:52
Right.

Nitro.. I'm curious as to what age group you fall into?

Whatever!

F1nKS
20th January 2021, 16:36
I don't how reliable this UK formula 1 site is, but this is what they are saying today.

https://formula1news.co.uk/real-chance-of-george-russell-replacing-lewis-hamilton-at-mercedes-in-2021/

And now, a source in the F1 paddock has told this publication that there is a “real chance” that George Russell could replace Sir Hamilton at Mercedes in 2021, given the “unprecedented situation.”

Mercedes has teased with a picture of their "pen" - so I really think that we are about to hear that Hamilton has signed the Mercedes contract.

https://twitter.com/MercedesAMGF1/status/1351197486262710278?s=20

Nitrodaze
20th January 2021, 23:02
I don't how reliable this UK formula 1 site is, but this is what they are saying today.

https://formula1news.co.uk/real-chance-of-george-russell-replacing-lewis-hamilton-at-mercedes-in-2021/

Mercedes has teased with a picture of their "pen" - so I really think that we are about to hear that Hamilton has signed the Mercedes contract.

https://twitter.com/MercedesAMGF1/status/1351197486262710278?s=20

I would love to see Russell in the Mercedes. But it would be a shame to see Hamilton depart if that happens. He would leave behind such a huge hole in the paddock and would be felt by F1 as a whole. But some things have to come to an end.

Nitrodaze
20th January 2021, 23:15
There are rumours that Ferrari have cobbled together a very power engine for the 2021 season. So whatever the pairing at Mercedes, they are likely to have a stiff competition this new season from Ferrari and possibly Redbull with Perez alongside Verstapenn. Hence, it would be interesting to see how Mercedes cope with these threats in Hamilton's absence.

Whatever the case, 2021 promises to be an exciting season. Would Mercedes in their new configuration be able to withstand the onslaught of attack from Ferrari and Redbull, both with a new stronger lineup. That remains to be seen. But Mercedes is still the favorites for the 2021 titles with or without Hamilton.

With Hamilton in the car, one would most certainly say, it is going to be another Mercedes dominance. The real question now is can it be so without Hamilton in the car. It would certainly be sensational if Russell can jump in the Merecedes car and win his first F1 championship at his first attempt. Maybe, it may provide Bottas his first real opportunity to win his first F1 championship in the absence of Hamilton.

Whichever way the Mercedes/Hamilton negotiation goes, all signs suggests that 2021 would most likely be closer at the sharp end of the grid with Ferrari returning to form.

I think it is possible that Mercedes may not win one or both of the titles this 2021 season for various reasons.

F1nKS
26th January 2021, 01:23
It sounds like it not a matter "if" but "when" for the Hamilton contract to be signed. Taken from twitter.

Zico
8th February 2021, 15:35
Well there we have it. Hamilton/Merc deal finally announced.. interestingly its a one year deal only.

Jag_Warrior
10th February 2021, 15:56
Well there we have it. Hamilton/Merc deal finally announced.. interestingly its a one year deal only.

I'm signing up for a weekly popcorn shipment from Amazon as soon as the season starts. Everytime Hamilton speaks to a rival team boss or Toto smiles at Max, the show will be on full tilt. Must See TV returns. This will be better than waiting for the next Hill St. Blues episode. :bounce:

Nitrodaze
10th February 2021, 16:26
I'm signing up for a weekly popcorn shipment from Amazon as soon as the season starts. Everytime Hamilton speaks to a rival team boss or Toto smiles at Max, the show will be on full tilt. Must See TV returns. This will be better than waiting for the next Hill St. Blues episode. :bounce:

I think this is their last season together. All good things come to an end! And it makes sense with Verstapenn becoming available.

Fortitude
13th February 2021, 09:37
IT BEGAN WITH…

Report: Hamilton seeking $50 million-a-year contract extension
Editor
2 July, 2020

https://www.grandprix247.com/2020/07/02/report-hamilton-seeking-50-million-a-year-contract-extension/

THEN, THE WHEELS CAME OFF…

Daimler believed to have blocked Hamilton's new contract of four years and 200m dollars
Marco Canseco
Adapted by Euan McTear
01/01/2021 20:42 CET

This means that the seven-time world champion doesn't currently have a team. The new deadline for him to renew, then, would be ahead of testing in Barcelona, which starts on March 2.

https://www.marca.com/en/more-sports/2021/01/01/5fef7a83268e3e81558b45b4.html

HIGH NOON WAS THE 2nd March 2021…

How Hamilton and Mercedes came to an agreement
‎11‎ ‎February‎ ‎08‎:‎15

https://racingnews365.com/how-hamilton-and-mercedes-came-to-an-agreement

Lewis Hamilton’s New Mercedes Deal Is ‘Worrying News’ For Red Bull
Earlier this week, the Mercedes F1 Team finally announced a new deal with Sir Lewis Hamilton.
by Matteo Ragni
February 10, 2021February 10, 2021

https://formula1news.co.uk/lewis-hamiltons-new-mercedes-deal-is-worrying-news-for-red-bull/

Lewis Hamilton staying with Mercedes as he eyes record eighth world title
Neil Metcalfe
Published: 11:52 AM February 11, 2021

https://www.thecomet.net/sport/lewis-hamilton-signs-one-year-deal-at-mercedes-7319312

Driver cost cap looms as Hamilton gets over £40 million a year deal
February 12, 2021 · by thejudge13 ·

1. Lewis Hamilton: Mercedes – Annual Salary £40m
2. Max Verstappen: Red Bull – Annual Salary £18.2m
3. Charles Leclerc: Ferrari – Annual Salary £10.19m
4. Daniel Ricciardo: McLaren – Annual Salary £10.19m
5. Carlos Sainz: Ferrari – Annual Salary £7.28m

https://thejudge13.com/2021/02/12/driver-cost-cap-looms-as-hamilton-gets-over-40-million-a-year-deal/

Fortitude
14th February 2021, 10:33
YET, THERE LINGERS THIS POSSIBILITY FOR 2022…

Lewis Hamilton to Ferrari prediction made as new Mercedes contract leaves 2022 door open
Lewis Hamilton could become a free agent at the end of the year, but a move to Ferrari still seems unlikely.
By Daniel Blackham
PUBLISHED: 10:37, Wed, Feb 10, 2021 | UPDATED: 10:37, Wed, Feb 10, 2021

https://www.express.co.uk/sport/f1-autosport/1395904/Lewis-Hamilton-Ferrari-prediction-Mercedes-2022-SNT

DISCUSSIONS HAPPENED…

Lewis Hamilton to Ferrari talks explained by Mattia Binotto as Mercedes saga continues
Ferrari chief Matteo Binotto has lifted the lid on his talks with Lewis Hamilton.
By Mikael McKenzie
PUBLISHED: 07:35, Wed, Jan 13, 2021 | UPDATED: 12:09, Wed, Jan 13, 2021

https://www.express.co.uk/sport/f1-autosport/1383309/Lewis-Hamilton-contract-Ferrari-Mattia-Binotto-Mercedes

DISCUSSIONS MAY HAVE HAPPENED HERE…

Lewis Hamilton invited for Ferrari drive while Mercedes contract remains unsigned
Lewis Hamilton has been offered the chance to drive one of Ferrari's famous F1 cars amid his contractual dispute with Mercedes, which is still yet to be resolved
BY Ollie Salt
Sport Reporter
16:10, 22 JAN 2021
UPDATED16:24, 22 JAN 2021

Lewis Hamilton has been invited to drive one of Ferrari’s famous Formula 1 cars amid his contractual dispute with Mercedes.
But the reigning world champions need not worry, as the car in question is from 1970 - 15 years before he was even born!

https://www.dailystar.co.uk/sport/f1/lewis-hamilton-ferrari-mercedes-contract-23368597

It would NOT surprise me, if the Ferrari drive happens in the future.

F1nKS
14th February 2021, 13:01
[I]DISCUSSIONS HAPPENED…

Lewis Hamilton to Ferrari talks explained by Mattia Binotto as Mercedes saga continues
Ferrari chief Matteo Binotto has lifted the lid on his talks with Lewis Hamilton.
By Mikael McKenzie

https://www.express.co.uk/sport/f1-autosport/1383309/Lewis-Hamilton-contract-Ferrari-Mattia-Binotto-Mercedes

It kind of hard to take this story serious when the author writes

Ferrari have changed one of their drivers for the 2021 camapign as four-time world champions Sebastian Vettel was released.

The German has been replaced by McLaren ace Sergio Perez.

When you get this basic fact wrong, are we even sure the author even know who Hamilton is?

Nitrodaze
14th February 2021, 16:06
It kind of hard to take this story serious when the author writes

When you get this basic fact wrong, are we even sure the author even know who Hamilton is?

Haha, well spotted!

Zico
14th February 2021, 17:12
YET, THERE LINGERS THIS POSSIBILITY FOR 2022…

Lewis Hamilton to Ferrari prediction made as new Mercedes contract leaves 2022 door open
Lewis Hamilton could become a free agent at the end of the year, but a move to Ferrari still seems unlikely.
By Daniel Blackham
PUBLISHED: 10:37, Wed, Feb 10, 2021 | UPDATED: 10:37, Wed, Feb 10, 2021

https://www.express.co.uk/sport/f1-autosport/1395904/Lewis-Hamilton-Ferrari-prediction-Mercedes-2022-SNT

DISCUSSIONS HAPPENED…

By Mikael McKenzie

DISCUSSIONS MAY HAVE HAPPENED HERE…

Lewis Hamilton invited for Ferrari drive while Mercedes contract remains unsigned
Lewis Hamilton has been offered the chance to drive one of Ferrari's famous F1 cars amid his contractual dispute with Mercedes, which is still yet to be resolved
BY Ollie Salt
Sport Reporter
16:10, 22 JAN 2021
UPDATED16:24, 22 JAN 2021

Lewis Hamilton has been invited to drive one of Ferrari’s famous Formula 1 cars amid his contractual dispute with Mercedes.
But the reigning world champions need not worry, as the car in question is from 1970 - 15 years before he was even born!

https://www.dailystar.co.uk/sport/f1/lewis-hamilton-ferrari-mercedes-contract-23368597

It would NOT surprise me, if the Ferrari drive happens in the future.

So is it Sainz or LeClerc who are getting dropped for 2022.. or is Lewis going to be Ferrari's reserve driver?

Lets face it.. none of the above possibilities are very likely unless Sainz turns into a dud overnight.

Fortitude
14th February 2021, 19:11
So is it Sainz or LeClerc who are getting dropped for 2022.. or is Lewis going to be Ferrari's reserve driver?

Lets face it.. none of the above possibilities are very likely unless Sainz turns into a dud overnight.
TBH, I just don’t know, BUT Lewis Hamilton wanted a four year deal, so he gets JUST one year and now can look else-where for the other three years if he wants to, which could mean Ferrari.

Ferrari ARE so ruthless, if Lewis Hamilton is the driver that they want, then one of those drivers will be gone.

Lewis Hamilton’s one-year contract at Mercedes means Ferrari and Red Bull rumours will rumble on all season
The short-term nature of the deal is a compromise that leaves both sides with cards to play as F1 heads towards radical changes in 2022
By Kevin Garside
February 8, 2021 5:50 pm

And because the teams are working within budget limitations, the likes of Mercedes, Ferrari and Red Bull cannot spend their way past the rest of the grid. This, in theory at least, creates space for Hamilton to race elsewhere without diminishing his title chances.

On the other hand, the commercial reality means only teams with deep pockets can spend the kind of dough on drivers – whose salaries are not included in the budget cap – that would secure Hamilton’s signature. So we are back to Mercedes, Red Bull and Ferrari.

https://inews.co.uk/sport/formula-one/lewis-hamilton-contract-mercedes-ferrari-red-bull-f1-analysis-863336?ITO=newsnow

In Tom Rubythons' book about Ayrton Senna, called 'Fatal Weekend', it explains how Ayrton Senna and Luca Cordero di Montezemolo met up to discuss a contract for 1995. That is why I have posted previous links to meetings with Ferrari & Lewis Hamilton, it MAY be a sign of something, then again it could all come to nothing...

denkimi
16th February 2021, 07:53
What ferrari wants doesn't matter. As long as they don't build a car that is superior to the mercedes lewis will not come their way.

Hamilton will just stay at mercedes or retire. Everything else would be a unnecessary step backward.

Nitrodaze
16th February 2021, 19:12
What ferrari wants doesn't matter. As long as they don't build a car that is superior to the mercedes lewis will not come their way.

Hamilton will just stay at mercedes or retire. Everything else would be a unnecessary step backward.

The F1 Management are also trying to impose a cap of 30 million for two pilots per team. Hamilton alone earns more than that per year. This move would affect Vettel, Ricciado, Verstapenn also directly. Leclerc and Sainz are close to maximum they can ever earn.

These F1 management guys are control freaks. WTF

Drivers salary is not the problem of the smaller teams struggling to stay in the sport. Why do they feel the need to meddle in areas that do not concern them. Teams are not stupid to require this sort of interference. They pay what they think is a fair wage.

That said, it would be interesting to see what driver loyalty would be like in the future. If a team is paying the same wage as anyone else, then driver do not have to put up with an under performing team if they are able to go elsewhere with better performance and paying the same max wage.

It would be interesting to see how the drivers react to this. I expect there would be a flux out of F1 to other Formula's offering higher wages than F1 is offering. It presents other formulas an opportunity to establish themselves as the pinacle of motor racing, as that position would be vacant from 2022.

Fortitude
16th February 2021, 19:33
Tom Rubythons’ book Fatal Weekend is a phenomenal book. I have both a paperback edition and a hardback edition. I also bought a paperback edition and gave it away as a gift to a friend.

I recommend it to anybody who has an interest in Formula 1 and I have provided three pages as attachments to whet your appetite and encourage you to buy a copy.

Having said that, those three pages show how contracts are conducted privately and discreetly. It is an eye opener, into the ‘F1 circus’.

I ‘sense’, I have a hunch, maybe Lewis Hamilton MAY go to Ferrari for 2022, he didn’t get his four year contract, so would be questioning Mercedes commitment to him and there is George Russell… …maybe waiting in the wings…

If the Mercedes car is dominant, then the Mercedes management may be wondering why they are paying so much for Lewis Hamilton…

There are a lot of variables to consider for 2022.

Jag_Warrior
17th February 2021, 18:12

Drivers salary is not the problem of the smaller teams struggling to stay in the sport. Why do they feel the need to meddle in areas that do not concern them.

You're absolutely right. But remember, we're talking about the same geniuses who thought that they needed to impose limits on how often drivers could change their helmet liveries. If there's a "problem" that doesn't need solving, and fifteen that do, the FIA will jump all over the one that doesn't need solving. In the words of Kevin Hart: "It's what I do."

Personally, I'm OK with Lewis retiring once he secures #10. Then Merc can recruit my boy Danny Ric for Lewis' seat and George Russell for Valtteri's seat. With that, I'm happy. Well wait, since I'm dreaming, I want the grid girls back too! :cool: But let's take one fantasy at a time.

The Black Knight
17th February 2021, 19:43
The F1 Management are also trying to impose a cap of 30 million for two pilots per team. Hamilton alone earns more than that per year. This move would affect Vettel, Ricciado, Verstapenn also directly. Leclerc and Sainz are close to maximum they can ever earn.

Drivers salary is not the problem of the smaller teams struggling to stay in the sport. Why do they feel the need to meddle in areas that do not concern them. Teams are not stupid to require this sort of interference. They pay what they think is a fair wage.

That said, it would be interesting to see what driver loyalty would be like in the future. If a team is paying the same wage as anyone else, then driver do not have to put up with an under performing team if they are able to go elsewhere with better performance and paying the same max wage.

It would be interesting to see how the drivers react to this. I expect there would be a flux out of F1 to other Formula's offering higher wages than F1 is offering. It presents other formulas an opportunity to establish themselves as the pinacle of motor racing, as that position would be vacant from 2022.

Actually I think all the drivers should revolt against this decision and refuse to drive should a salary cost cap come into effect. F1 management are overreaching here big time and it’s up to the drivers to draw the line and tell them fuck off or we won’t drive.

gm99
17th February 2021, 21:21

And what magic Formula would that be that could offer a driver a salary in the region of 15 million $ a year? Indycar runs an entire team on that budget, as does Formula E (Jaguar spent around 12m $ on the 2019 FE season according to Forbes).
The only racing series that comes close is NASCAR, where the top three drivers earn around 15 to 18 million $ a year. Not enough of a difference IMO to see top F1 drivers suddenly want to race tin-tops.

Fortitude
18th February 2021, 09:09
Actually I think all the drivers should revolt against this decision and refuse to drive should a salary cost cap come into effect. F1 management are overreaching here big time and it’s up to the drivers to draw the line and tell them fuck off or we won’t drive.
There is nothing like calling it, for how it is...:)

Nitrodaze
18th February 2021, 20:42
And what magic Formula would that be that could offer a driver a salary in the region of 15 million $ a year? Indycar runs an entire team on that budget, as does Formula E (Jaguar spent around 12m $ on the 2019 FE season according to Forbes).
The only racing series that comes close is NASCAR, where the top three drivers earn around 15 to 18 million $ a year. Not enough of a difference IMO to see top F1 drivers suddenly want to race tin-tops.

Well that is the picture at this moment in time. What it would be in the future is another matter.

gm99
18th February 2021, 21:26
Well that is the picture at this moment in time. What it would be in the future is another matter.

The not too distant future, though, with F1 salary caps poised to arrive in 2023. What series in your opinion will within two years be able to grow - amid the current economic climate - to a state where its teams can offer driver salaries in the region of 15 million $ a year?