PDA

View Full Version : Hamilton to miss second Bahrain GP

gm99
1st December 2020, 08:45
World champion Lewis Hamilton tests positive for Covid-19 and is set to miss this Sunday's second race at Bahrain. https://www.bbc.com/sport/formula1/55142428

No replacement has been named as of yet, but Stoffel Van Doorne seems to be a frontrunner at this point. Or will it be the Hulk once again?

Be as it may, this offers a good chance to Bottas or Verstappen to add to their win tally.

TMorel
1st December 2020, 09:24
What if Bottas 2.0 is actually an upgraded clone, and they still have the original Bottas 1.0 in storage.
A whole grid of him, all saying "to whom it may concern" in unison.

Also, CV19 isn't a walk in the park regardless of how healthy you are, sadly I saw this with a friend, so I really am hoping for a good outcome for Lewis.

Nitrodaze
1st December 2020, 10:25
I think it gives Mercedes an opportunity to see how Russell compare to Bottas under race conditions. Williams has nothing to lose not having Russell for one race. Of course this would be breaking F1 covid bubble rules l guess, but l think it would be a very popular outcome.

How lucky for Hamilton that this has occurred after he had won the title. It certainly may have opened the doors for Bottas otherwise. This makes the battle for 2nd all the more fierce. If Verstapenn wins the race this weekend, he would completely wipeout the gap between himself and Bottas and possible be effective 2nd in the drivers championship. If Bottas wins, he would also effectively seal the 2nd place from Verstapenn.

What if Mercedes puts Russell in the car and he goes and win the race? By all accounts, it is looking like Vandoorne would be replacing him.

truefan72
1st December 2020, 16:12
Agreed. I would call up Russell and have him in that seat in no time. Williams can run Aitken. The only reason to use vandoorne is if they want Bottas not to be challenged and are willing to see that car finish close or out of the points. The guy has not had any experience with these cars in the last 2 years. To me the choice is either Hulkenberg or Russell.

pantealex
1st December 2020, 16:47
Can Mercedes take driver from Mercedes2 (The Pink One) ?
Perez/Stroll (and Hulk may drive Pink)

gm99
1st December 2020, 18:01

If Perez is still in the running for a Red Bull seat, I doubt Mercedes would want him in one of their cars. Also, Racing Point wouldn't want to give up their biggest weapon in the fight for P3 in the constructor's championship.
Stroll? Might as well put Vandoorne or Russell in...

Nitrodaze
1st December 2020, 19:06

Racing Point is fighting for 3rd in the constructors championship. They have too much riding on their driver pairing. I doubt they would consider releasing either of their drivers. Williams on the other hand have nothing to lose if Russell is replaced by Aitkin for one race. Both Williams car are most likely to finish out of the points anyway.

Russell in the Mercedes makes more sense than any other driver really. Then again, we don't know what Toto plans for the future.

Nitrodaze
1st December 2020, 19:16
Agreed. I would call up Russell and have him in that seat in no time. Williams can run Aitken. The only reason to use vandoorne is if they want Bottas not to be challenged and are willing to see that car finish close or out of the points. The guy has not had any experience with these cars in the last 2 years. To me the choice is either Hulkenberg or Russell.

How about Hulkenburg in the Williams and Russell in the Mercedes ;-) That would keep Williams happy l think. Especially if Mercedes is paying.

truefan72
2nd December 2020, 04:50
stroll? Might as well put vandoorne or russell in...

lol!

denkimi
2nd December 2020, 09:27
Well guessed.
So its Russel in the mercedes and aitken in the williams.

Kinda makes you wonder why they have vandoorne as backup driver in the first place.

truefan72
2nd December 2020, 16:05
So what happens if Russell beats Bottas this weekend and potentially in Abu Dhabi?

Zico
2nd December 2020, 17:18
I'm just really surprised to see Russell got the nod considering he is contracted to Williams. I'm not expecting to beat Bottas this weekend but I wouldnt be totally shocked if he did either. Just really pleased for him and I hope he can give a good showing.

Hey, maybe Lewis is retiring after this season so they have brought Russell in early. I'm half joking of course but he hasnt signed a new contact has he? :)

pantealex
2nd December 2020, 17:39
I'm just really surprised to see Russell got the nod considering he is contracted to Williams. :)

I think Giovanazzi is Ferrariīs reserve driver, it was talked before season that itīs him not KIMI which is strange

Zico
2nd December 2020, 18:00
I think Giovanazzi is Ferrariīs reserve driver, it was talked before season that itīs him not KIMI which is strange

Yeah, I'm aware of that arrangement.. but considering Stoffel is supposed to be Mercs reserve driver I just didn't see this one coming.
It does make good sense though.. although I can imagine Vandoorne wont be so happy.

Nitrodaze
2nd December 2020, 18:17
So what happens if Russell beats Bottas this weekend and potentially in Abu Dhabi?

The Vandoorne effect at Mclaren is likely to take place. Russell is a threat to Bottas. And by God, he has to deliver his very best performance at this race. After two bad race weekends and a junior placed in the next vacant seat. That sends as clear a message as possible to Bottas.

There is no excuse now, no Hamilton to contend with. He is effectively the benchmark for the whole grid this weekend. His worry is Verstapenn firstly and then Russell.

If Russell can be within 3 tenths of Bottas at Q1, that would already be very respectable. If he can put the Mercedes in second ahead of Verstapenn, that would send ripples through the paddock.If he puts it on pole, then Bottas has real concern regardless of who wins the race. Similarly if he wins the race, regardless of the circumstances.

truefan72
4th December 2020, 14:30
The Vandoorne effect at Mclaren is likely to take place. Russell is a threat to Bottas. And by God, he has to deliver his very best performance at this race. After two bad race weekends and a junior placed in the next vacant seat. That sends as clear a message as possible to Bottas.

There is no excuse now, no Hamilton to contend with. He is effectively the benchmark for the whole grid this weekend. His worry is Verstapenn firstly and then Russell.

If Russell can be within 3 tenths of Bottas at Q1, that would already be very respectable. If he can put the Mercedes in second ahead of Verstapenn, that would send ripples through the paddock.If he puts it on pole, then Bottas has real concern regardless of who wins the race. Similarly if he wins the race, regardless of the circumstances.

So Russell takes p1 in FP1!
Bottas 4th .322s behind and looking ragged all sessions like he feels the pressure.
very interesting...

truefan72
4th December 2020, 14:43
And what if find particularly annoying was DiResta's comments about how he felt Mercedes should have gone with Vandoorne. He went on and on about it and to me it sounded like he was projecting. Not only did Russell absolutely demolish those arguments, but the reason's DiResta gave for placing Vandoorne in the car were absurd. "he deserves it after his hard work" , "he flew all over the world for the team" , "there was enough time to get him prepared for the seat". moan, moan, moan. last I checked. Russell is pretty much in-line for that seat in 2022 etc. so why wouldn't Mercedes give him the opportunity now?

As I said in my previous post, the only reason for Vandoorne to be in that seat is if they wanted Bottas to not be challenged and didn't care if that second car finished in the lower top 10. Even that wouldn't be a guarantee for a Bottas winning performance as it stands he is still behind the Red bulls regardless. SMH
In one session, Russell just proved to the entire world, why he is an incredible talent and deserving of a top seat. (not that we didn't know that already). Anthony Davidsson summed it up best; "if you exchanged helmet, it would be understandable if Russell had the session that Bottas did. ragged, locking up, looking uncomfortable in the car, making mistakes. etc. The fact that it was the other way around is a bit concerning".

This layout brings the field very tight to one another and short enough were the differences in the cars are less of a factor. Russell didn't put a foot wrong the entire session and looked every bit the part. As for Bottas...hmm.

Mia 01
4th December 2020, 15:59
Wow, Russel beats Bottas with 0.322 on a very short track. My my my Lewis!

Bagwan
4th December 2020, 16:24
Wow, Russel beats Bottas with 0.322 on a very short track. My my my Lewis!

Yeah , Mia , and Bottas usually learns the tracks faster than Lewis , and this is a new track for all of them , in this configuration .

My my my .

Nitrodaze
4th December 2020, 16:25
And what if find particularly annoying was DiResta's comments about how he felt Mercedes should have gone with Vandoorne. He went on and on about it and to me it sounded like he was projecting. Not only did Russell absolutely demolish those arguments, but the reason's DiResta gave for placing Vandoorne in the car were absurd. "he deserves it after his hard work" , "he flew all over the world for the team" , "there was enough time to get him prepared for the seat". moan, moan, moan. last I checked. Russell is pretty much in-line for that seat in 2022 etc. so why wouldn't Mercedes give him the opportunity now?

As I said in my previous post, the only reason for Vandoorne to be in that seat is if they wanted Bottas to not be challenged and didn't care if that second car finished in the lower top 10. Even that wouldn't be a guarantee for a Bottas winning performance as it stands he is still behind the Red bulls regardless. SMH
In one session, Russell just proved to the entire world, why he is an incredible talent and deserving of a top seat. (not that we didn't know that already). Anthony Davidsson summed it up best; "if you exchanged helmet, it would be understandable if Russell had the session that Bottas did. ragged, locking up, looking uncomfortable in the car, making mistakes. etc. The fact that it was the other way around is a bit concerning".

This layout brings the field very tight to one another and short enough were the differences in the cars are less of a factor. Russell didn't put a foot wrong the entire session and looked every bit the part. As for Bottas...hmm.

That is how jealousy manifests itself. Here is a young man with potential to achieve more than he has ever done, of course he would say those things. Mercedes did the right thing. Now they would have a clear idea of the talent they have in the wings. They would have telemetry and tons of data to analyse to give them a picture of what the future ought to be. They essentially would not be putting Russell in their car blind. They would have comparative data to work with. That is a chance not to miss. And Mercedes did the smart thing here.

Of course the pressure is on Bottas as this Free practise has given him a glimpse of the true talent of Russell. The fact that the young man can come in from the cold and set the car up as he wants it. And is showing pure worrying pace. Pace enough to put Verstapenn behind. Even Hamilton would be agog to take notice.

The race tomorrow is a very important one. As it gives the paddock and fans alike a glimpse of the real challenger that Leclerc and Verstapenn need to be worried about in the near future.

Fast Eddie WRC
4th December 2020, 16:25
Best car = best time
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EoZwh17XYAArcnY?format=jpg&name=small

Nitrodaze
4th December 2020, 16:29
Yeah , Mia , and Bottas usually learns the tracks faster than Lewis , and this is a new track for all of them , in this configuration .

My my my .

Doubters :-)

Do not write off Bottas yet.

truefan72
4th December 2020, 18:17
Doubters :-)

Do not write off Bottas yet.

Not counting him out. But Russel takes p1 again in FP2. The mercedes car is solid for this track and to be honest Bottas was pretty fast but only by going off track. He just looks like the pressure is right on him and he is not handling it well. Bottas chose the absolute worst time to have his worst Friday sessions. He is looking like the guy new to the car and team. Smh

Zico
4th December 2020, 19:25
Hey its only free practice but to be able to be instantly on the pace, never mind topping the time sheets with such a big margin for such a short track, speaks volumes for Russell.

However.. he has so many new things to learn with the Merc and familiarize himself with that I'm still expecting Bottas to get the better of him on Sunday.
Even if Russell did get a shock pole he still has a far bigger task ahead of him than Bottas. A bad start or wrong setting could turn his performance on its head instantly.

I love a fairytale and I'll be rooting for him but knowing just how mamoth a task it would be, I'm keeping my expectations in reality check.

Here is a question.. If Russell was leading Bottas and both clear of the field.. do you think Merc would move Bottas ahead by pit/race strategy?
He is looking flaky already and I reckon Bottas's confidence could implode and they couldend up with a confidence shattered driver for 2021 if they didn't pull such a stunt in that situation.

Mia 01
4th December 2020, 21:50
And is Lewis really that ggod. Questions questions. Or is Russle then only or next "Got" or will it all even up. My my my.

Zico
4th December 2020, 23:19
And is Lewis really that ggod. Questions questions. Or is Russle then only or next "Got" or will it all even up. My my my.

We haven't even had qualy yet Mia.. and even if he did get a shock pole, you know what the Lewis fan answers to that would be.

'Lewis led development on this car to be what it is, Russell wouldnt have been able to do that as a relative rookie. Excelling in car development is part of becoming the GOAT'

...and to be fair there is probably a degree of truth in that but yeah.. it would probably diminish Lewis's achievements a tad in the eyes of some.

Lets wait for qualy and the race before having this discussion though eh? Its a bit early.

Nitrodaze
5th December 2020, 06:58

I don't think we can raise these sort of questions at this stage. Firstly, because you are being dismissive of Bottas. You are saying Bottas is crap, which is not true. Secondly, one race does not automaticallky equate to being able to become world champion, not to mention multiple world champion. We had this feeling before for Vandoorne when he got his golden opportunity and performed above expectation. He went on to replace a world champion but did not produce on his promise next to Alonso in the Mclaren.

I think Russell is capable of becoming at least a world champion. Time would tell if he can be a multiple world champion. To be world champion, he must first get a seat in the Mercedes car. And must hope that Ferrari or Redbull do not somehow produce a better car in his racing future. If those things happen {Ferrari or Redbull producing a better car}, then we may be singing the praises of Leclerc or Verstapenn instead in the future.

Russell's journey is just beginning. And it promises of great things to come. But let us not forget all the great things that made Schumacher and Hamilton great in the first place. Russell would need to reproduce those things to join this illustrious exclusive club of great F1 Multiple World champions. Which currently have Fangio, Prost, Schumacher and Hamilton in it.

Trust me when l say, that being top of the standing during free practise or winning one race by no means guarantees that this would be the case. Just ask Alonso or Vettel. But if Mercedes continue to have the dominant car during his career, all he has to do is to subdue Bottas or whoever is in the other car; parhaps Vandoorne, and he would essentially become a multiple world champion. That is easily said than done.

That said, l personally believe he has it in him to become a multiple world champion. But so does Leclerc, Verstapenn and Gasly. Probably Norris and Sainz also. So he would need to dig deep, have all the necessary luck and a dominant car to achieve this feat. As he would be doing it in the company of equally very strong competition from Leclerc, Verstapenn etc.

I would give my left kidney to see him have the opportunity to try.

Nitrodaze
5th December 2020, 08:41
Not counting him out. But Russel takes p1 again in FP2. The mercedes car is solid for this track and to be honest Bottas was pretty fast but only by going off track. He just looks like the pressure is right on him and he is not handling it well. Bottas chose the absolute worst time to have his worst Friday sessions. He is looking like the guy new to the car and team. Smh

Yeah, it is very worrying for Bottas. If the youngster can be this fast on his first outing for Mercedes, with a little bit more time in the car, he may turn out to be consistently faster than Bottas. Especially him not being properly comfortable in the car as the car was built around Hamilton.

Russell is looking very strong at the moment. A good sunday race would underline his suitability for a Mercedes seat.

Nitrodaze
5th December 2020, 08:47
There is a good chance that Hamilton might sit out the rest of the season. If that happens, we wouild have a even better meassure of the comparison between Bottas and Russell with one race experience at Abu Dhabi.

Zico
5th December 2020, 09:19
I don't think we can raise these sort of questions at this stage. Firstly, because you are being dismissive of Bottas. You are saying Bottas is crap, which is not true. Secondly, one race does not automaticallky equate to being able to become world champion, not to mention multiple world champion. We had this feeling before for Vandoorne when he got his golden opportunity and performed above expectation. He went on to replace a world champion but did not produce on his promise next to Alonso in the Mclaren.

I think Russell is capable of becoming at least a world champion. Time would tell if he can be a multiple world champion. To be world champion, he must first get a seat in the Mercedes car. And must hope that Ferrari or Redbull do not somehow produce a better car in his racing future. If those things happen {Ferrari or Redbull producing a better car}, then we may be singing the praises of Leclerc or Verstapenn instead in the future.

Russell's journey is just beginning. And it promises of great things to come. But let us not forget all the great things that made Schumacher and Hamilton great in the first place. Russell would need to reproduce those things to join this illustrious exclusive club of great F1 Multiple World champions. Which currently have Fangio, Prost, Schumacher and Hamilton in it.

Trust me when l say, that being top of the standing during free practise or winning one race by no means guarantees that this would be the case. Just ask Alonso or Vettel. But if Mercedes continue to have the dominant car during his career, all he has to do is to subdue Bottas or whoever is in the other car; parhaps Vandoorne, and he would essentially become a multiple world champion. That is easily said than done.

That said, l personally believe he has it in him to become a multiple world champion. But so does Leclerc, Verstapenn and Gasly. Probably Norris and Sainz also. So he would need to dig deep, have all the necessary luck and a dominant car to achieve this feat. As he would be doing it in the company of equally very strong competition from Leclerc, Verstapenn etc.

I would give my left kidney to see him have the opportunity to try.

I totally agree.

The 2020 reg changes and budget cap are going to be an equaliser/reset to some degree though. I doubt we will see the same length and level of dominance that Merc have enjoyed so far, for the foreseeable future. Its really not in the FIA's and sports best interests and as you say... even if he did prove to be of the same caliber of Charles, Max etc.. Russell could end up at Merc for 2022 and win nothing by just not being with the right team at the right time.

Whyzars
5th December 2020, 13:11
It is a pity that Lewis Hamilton is not driving at this track. I somehow think that he would have provided a masterclass here.

I hope he gets over the bug quickly.

Mia 01
5th December 2020, 15:14
It would be very interesting to se Russel as Hamiltons team mate indeed. But I think toto is protecting Hamilton a bit, he dont want to upset team harmony.

Nitrodaze
5th December 2020, 15:25
It would be very interesting to se Russel as Hamiltons team mate indeed. But I think toto is protecting Hamilton a bit, he dont want to upset team harmony.

I like the idea of Russell as Hamilton's teammate. But l don't think he is not at the moment to protect Hamilton. I think it is to protect Russell. Especially if you look at what happened to Vandoorne pairing with Alonso, it destroyed Vandoorne's F1 career. We were deprived of seeing what this very talented F2 champion can do in F1 because of it. The same could easily happen to Russell as he would be flying too close to the sun. And the tiger in the Seven times world champion may burn him out.

Mia 01
5th December 2020, 15:39
Russel isnīt a newbie as Vandoorne was, itīs his third year in F1 I think. If Russel can hop in the car and be faster than Bottas right away I have no worries for him.

Over the years they raced together Button scored moore ponits than Lewis did. It would be interesting to pair Russel and Hamilton

Nitrodaze
5th December 2020, 16:25
Russel isnīt a newbie as Vandoorne was, itīs his third year in F1 I think. If Russel can hop in the car and be faster than Bottas right away I have no worries for him.

Over the years they raced together Button scored moore ponits than Lewis did. It would be interesting to pair Russel and Hamilton

Well after this weekend, if he can beat Bottas, l think he would be ready for the challenge. But the situation must be managed carefully to protect him. Because he would be going into a sword fight with a pen knife. His two years driving with rookies or against a F1 driver past his prime would not prepare him for a full season with the seasoned tiger that is Hamilton. Flashes of speed at free practise would not cut it either.

truefan72
5th December 2020, 17:30
well, well, well. Bottas beats Russell to pole by 0.026.
to me it says Russell is top flight legit being able to almost take pole.
It's a long race tomorrow, so we shall see what happens.
I guarantee you, if Hamilton was paired with either Russell or Bottas he would have pulled off a 2-3tenths advantage to take pole.
The fact that Russell and Bottas are this close is a very softy indictment on Bottas. He's a very good driver in a very good car. But it is clear he hasn't got that champions edge in performance or tenacity.
If Russell gets past him at the star then I fully expect him to fade and remain p2 or p3.
During the post quali interviews, i was hoping Russell would mention something to DiResta about his comments about him being in the car. but he kept it civil and only expressed how much of a learning curve he had to go through in such a short time.
On to the race!

Finally, for those that say the car is that good and proves that anyone can drive it to the top, i would push back against that.
For one, Hamilton extracts way more out of that car than anyone could and even in races where it seems the car is a bit weaker than the others, Hamilton still finds a way to succeed with it.
Russell is an immense talent and it is clear he has the capability to be lightning quick with a good car. Put him in the RBR or Racing point and you would still see him towards the sharp end of the grid.
The mercedes has a very small operating window to get properly hooked up and he has managed to find it in 3 days. if you put any other 2 drivers in that car outside of verstappen, perez, gasly and leclerc, and I am sure they won't be on the front row.

Nitrodaze
5th December 2020, 18:07
well, well, well. Bottas beats Russell to pole by 0.026.
to me it says Russell is top flight legit being able to almost take pole.
It's a long race tomorrow, so we shall see what happens.
I guarantee you, if Hamilton was paired with either Russell or Bottas he would have pulled off a 2-3tenths advantage to take pole.
The fact that Russell and Bottas are this close is a very softy indictment on Bottas. He's a very good driver in a very good car. But it is clear he hasn't got that champions edge in performance or tenacity.
If Russell gets past him at the star then I fully expect him to fade and remain p2 or p3.
During the post quali interviews, i was hoping Russell would mention something to DiResta about his comments about him being in the car. but he kept it civil and only expressed how much of a learning curve he had to go through in such a short time.
On to the race!

Finally, for those that say the car is that good and proves that anyone can drive it to the top, i would push back against that.
For one, Hamilton extracts way more out of that car than anyone could and even in races where it seems the car is a bit weaker than the others, Hamilton still finds a way to succeed with it.
Russell is an immense talent and it is clear he has the capability to be lightning quick with a good car. Put him in the RBR or Racing point and you would still see him towards the sharp end of the grid.
The mercedes has a very small operating window to get properly hooked up and he has managed to find it in 3 days. if you put any other 2 drivers in that car outside of verstappen, perez, gasly and leclerc, and I am sure they won't be on the front row.

By this result, l surmise that Russell is quicker than Bottas. If he can be this close in a car built for another driver while driving it in the wrong shoes, imagine how quick he would be if the car was built to his specification and he fits in it comfortably.

If Russell is in the car for Abu Dhabi, Bottas would find Russell harder to beat. I would put money on Russell to take pole at Abu Dhabi.

Mia, l think you have your answer now.

Bagwan
5th December 2020, 19:29
With George that close , in a car that is way too small for him , and completely new to him , I would say that Russell's driving style is very similar to Lewis's .
He's less than a blink of an eye , literally , behind , scrunched into a car in which he doesn't fit .

A lot of drivers in the paddock really look up to George , because he's 6 foot 2 .

Nitrodaze
5th December 2020, 20:16
With George that close , in a car that is way too small for him , and completely new to him , I would say that Russell's driving style is very similar to Lewis's .
He's less than a blink of an eye , literally , behind , scrunched into a car in which he doesn't fit .

A lot of drivers in the paddock really look up to George , because he's 6 foot 2 .

The thing is, Hamilton is about a one to two tenths faster than the Bottas pole. I expected pole to be very low 53. Even high 52, 00:52:9 maybe. I am glad for Russell, but l would have liked to see what the Hamilton time would have looked like.

truefan72
6th December 2020, 03:18
The thing is, Hamilton is about a one to two tenths faster than the Bottas pole. I expected pole to be very low 53. Even high 52, 00:52:9 maybe. I am glad for Russell, but l would have liked to see what the Hamilton time would have looked like.

me too!