PDA

View Full Version : Illegal wing brackets on #8 car could mean penalty

Jonesi
13th May 2007, 08:55
This looks like it will be the first CoT penalty:
http://sports.espn.go.com/rpm/news/story?seriesId=2&id=2868687

dont_be_jack
13th May 2007, 13:55
Yep, using brackets that didn't conform to what NASCAR wants...

I can't imagine that it would've made much of a difference, but hey, it's the CoT...

Jonesi
13th May 2007, 16:44
If it changed the angle the wing, that affects the downforce on the car. Big differance to the cars performance.

dont_be_jack
13th May 2007, 17:01
If it changed the angle the wing, that affects the downforce on the car. Big differance to the cars performance.

See, that we don't know. And it is also apparently possible to run the wing at the angle you want within a set range but it's not feasible to ever change the angle once you've begun racing. But again, it is the CoT in which a lot of the parts have to be specific according to what NASCAR dictates.

RaceFanStan
13th May 2007, 17:15
With all the crap about Dale Jr leaving, this is just what we needed ! http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g202/gr8link/erm/3.gif

call_me_andrew
14th May 2007, 02:46
NASCAR made a decision and Stan is upset. It's a Mother's Day miracle!

ms0362
14th May 2007, 18:45
From what I read, it was one of the type brackets from the earlier tests. I would think Eury and Nascar both know they'd check the wing angle before and after the race, regardless of the bracket. Doesn't sound intentional, so they may get away with cash only instead of points.

blakebeatty
15th May 2007, 22:49
From Jayski,

NASCAR announced today that the #8 Chevy team has been penalized and fined for rule violations committed last week at Darlington. The #8 team was found to have violated Sections 12-4-A (actions detrimental to stock car racing), 12-4-Q (car, car parts, components and/or equipment used do not conform to NASCAR rules), and 20-3.1.3B (the NASCAR-approved upper and lower rear wing mounting brackets must not be modified to obtain a rear-wing angle of less than zero degrees or more than 16 degrees) of the 2007 NASCAR rule book. Crew chief Tony Eury Jr., has been fined $100,000 and suspended from NASCAR until July 4, 2007 which includes this weekend’s NASCAR NEXTEL All-Star Challenge and the next six NASCAR NEXTEL Cup Series events. He has also been placed on probation until Dec. 31, 2007. Driver Dale Earnhardt Jr., has been penalized with the loss of 100 Championship Driver points. Car owner Teresa Earnhardt has been penalized with the loss of 100 Championship Owner points. The violations were found during pre-race inspection on May 12.(NASCAR PR) AND: Dale Earnhardt, Inc. issued the following statement:“The car in question was a brand new car for the #8 team and the brackets that were found to be nonconforming were built as test pieces before the final design was established by NASCAR. They should not have been on the car and with Tony Eury Jr. away from the track Thursday during inspection, the error was not caught. We do not question the infraction which is clearly spelled out in the NASCAR rule book. However, we have appealed the severity of the penalty.&#8221 ;( DEI PR)(5-15-2007)

Seems harsh, but these things (regardless of what they say) don't happen by accident.

Jonesi
15th May 2007, 22:52
also: http://www.thatsracin.com/242/story/4268.html

That Jayski mention was fast I was on his site less then 10 minutes ago and it wasn't up then. ;-)

harvick#1
16th May 2007, 00:10
finally nascar has done something right, now they need to check out Gordon's Audi engine

trumperZ06
16th May 2007, 01:10
;) Jeff's engine looked more like a... "Stanly Steamer" !!!

harvick#1
16th May 2007, 01:42
ok DW :p :

Plus Labonte's version was much much better at Dega :D

RaceFanStan
16th May 2007, 04:14
NASCAR made a decision and Stan is upset. It's a Mother's Day miracle!
NASCAR's decision didn't upset me, the fact that DEI was cheating did. :s

BobbyC
16th May 2007, 04:14
We'll see what the Commission will say. Who thinks the Commission will cut the fine or penalty down to 25-50 points and $10,000 to $50,000?

Jonesi
16th May 2007, 04:23
I don't, Nascar put out a bulletin before the 1st CoT race saying the penalty for cheating on the CoT would be 100k & 100 points.

blakebeatty
16th May 2007, 04:32
I agree, they said right off the bat, that you don't mess with the splitter, and you don't mess with the wing.

This silences the criticism of NASCAR for expanding the chase to diminish the possibilty of Earnhardt and Gordon missing the chase. They may have cost Earnhardt his chances at the chase with this decision

jslone
16th May 2007, 04:35
All that for a damned bolt,amazing,but NAscar is being consistent,look at Waltrip.

Jonesi
16th May 2007, 07:41
All that for a damned bolt,amazing,but NAscar is being consistent,look at Waltrip.

From what I saw on NN and read it wasn't a bolt, it was brackets which allowed for illegal adjustments.

Cindy_AL
16th May 2007, 18:55
From what I read this morning, Eury will be allowed at the All-Star race.

Lee Roy
16th May 2007, 19:15
I don't, Nascar put out a bulletin before the 1st CoT race saying the penalty for cheating on the CoT would be 100k & 100 points.

And from what I understand, the the crew chiefs were required to sign a statement acknowledging they understood.