PDA

View Full Version : 2020 Emilia-Romagna Grand Prix - Imola Italy

Nitrodaze
28th October 2020, 14:31
https://i.pinimg.com/originals/ed/7d/fd/ed7dfd4840c9a63e46af4fc73ef6d2ff.jpg

We go into the iconic track of San Marino [also called Imola] on the back of a historic Portimao race. Where we saw Lewis Hamilton become the driver with the most wins in F1 history. On a Portimao race track that has hosted its first ever F1 race. And Kimi Raikonen became the driver with the most F1 race starts, which he celebrated with a legendary start from 16th on the start grid to 6th within the first lap and a quarter.

https://d3rr2gvhjw0wwy.cloudfront.net/uploads/activity_galleries/297977/2000x2000-0-70-3379be3e5da9d7b6e49686a8cd949187.jpg

Imola is to be a two days race weekend with no free practises on Thursday and Friday. Teams are only allowed a short 90 minutes practise on Saturday morning between 10:00am and 11:30am. Then qualifying commenses in the afternoon at 14:00 after a very long pause of two and half hours.

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn%3AANd9GcQSn46R--pxpm-yl3viIQF4uk6Vr7C7jULsaA&usqp=CAU

This race was typically called "San Marino Grand Prix" and has hosted 27 F1 race weekends in the past. The last race held here was in 2006, where Micheal Schumacher took pole at 1:22:795 and won what was to be his last race there with Alonso 2nd and Montoya 3rd. This was a Schumacher track as he is the most successful driver to ever race this track with seven wins. Ferrari and Williams are jointly the most successful teams to win on this track with eight wins each. Both teams having also managing to win here on three consecutive years each. Williams from 1995 to 1997, and Ferrari from 2002 to 2004.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/multimedia/archive/02359/schumi_2359819b.jpg

This is a fast flowing track with the two most troublesome apexes at each end of the track. It is therefore an engine grunt, old school track which would suit Mercedes perfectly. The shorter preparation this weekend should not be too punitive to the teams as a Monza setup is likely to work here. Kimi Raikonen is probably the only driver on the current grid to have raced an F1 car on this track.

Mercedes have an opportunity to wrapup the constructors championship at this race.

Some drivers come into this weekend with heightened uncertainty. Perez with an unfortunate double reprimand, comes into this race with one hand tied behind his back. As any infringement could be very costly to his campaign for 3rd in the driver's championship this season.

Albon and Russell also start this weekend under the cloud of potentially losing their seats next season as Perez's availablity puts pressure on these two vulnerable seats.

Tazio
31st October 2020, 12:12
Who is Emilia Romanga? Didn't he drive for Suderia Sant Ambroeus?

:confused::confused::rolleyes: :dork: :dork: :sailor: :dog: ;)

Nitrodaze
31st October 2020, 13:58
If you want evidence that the 1.6 litre hybrid engines is now quicker than the old loud 3.0 litre engines. the pole time of Bottas is good an evidence as ever. Bottas takes pole at 1:13:607 to Michael Schumacher's pole 14 years ago at the last race on this track in a Ferrari at 1:22:795. A good 9 seconds faster. Michael Schumacher's Ferrari would not qualify to race in sunday's race session.

Nitrodaze
31st October 2020, 14:07
Who is Emilia Romanga? Didn't he drive for Suderia Sant Ambroeus?

:confused::confused::rolleyes: :dork: :dork: :sailor: :dog: ;)

If you love your spaghetti Bolognese, it probably is named after Bologna which is the capital of the Italian region of Emilia-Romagna in the north of Italy.

Nitrodaze
31st October 2020, 14:09
A great showing by Bottas. Great to see there is still some fire in his belly

Tazio
31st October 2020, 14:11
If you love your spaghetti Bolognese, it probably is named after Bologna which is the capital of the Italian region of Emilia-Romagna in the north of Italy.

:stareup: :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::stareup:: rolleyes: :angel:

denkimi
31st October 2020, 15:50
Once again mercedes in a league of their own. The only question is when lewis will go past bottas and how much advantage they will have at the end.

If you want evidence that the 1.6 litre hybrid engines is now quicker that the old loud 3.0 litre engines. the pole time of Bottas is good an evidence as ever. Bottas takes pole at 1:13:607 to Michael Schumacher's pole 14 years ago at the last race on this track in a Ferrari at 1:22:795. A good 9 seconds faster. Michael Schumacher's Ferrari would not qualify to race in sunday's race session.
Besides torro rosso, in 2006 they used new 2.4 v8 engines that were said to have 200hp less than the 3.0.
They also used grooved tyres then.

Bagwan
31st October 2020, 16:25
If you want evidence that the 1.6 litre hybrid engines is now quicker that the old loud 3.0 litre engines. the pole time of Bottas is good an evidence as ever. Bottas takes pole at 1:13:607 to Michael Schumacher's pole 14 years ago at the last race on this track in a Ferrari at 1:22:795. A good 9 seconds faster. Michael Schumacher's Ferrari would not qualify to race in sunday's race session.

Brundle mentioned during the broadcast that the track had an extra chicane back in Michael's day , so comparison is kind of impossible because of that .

The Black Knight
31st October 2020, 17:34
Brundle mentioned during the broadcast that the track had an extra chicane back in Michael's day , so comparison is kind of impossible because of that .

Yes, there was a left right chicane leading onto the start finish straight after Rivazza. I was disappointed to see that removed because it could have potentially allowed for a little overtaking. I think tomorrow will be a boring race.

zako85
31st October 2020, 21:47

You got it backwards. People of that region became so proud of their Bologna pork sausages that they renamed their capital city after them.

Nitrodaze
1st November 2020, 08:26
You got it backwards. People of that region became so proud of their Bologna pork sausages that they renamed their capital city after them.

Well these sources agree with me.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bolognese_sauce

https://www.cucinaventi.com/blog/the-history-of-spaghetti-bolognese

Nitrodaze
1st November 2020, 08:32
We should spare a moment today to remember Ayton Senna and Roland Ratzenburger who died at this track on the 1st of May 1994. Senna's Williams failed and careered into the tyre barriers. It all looked minor untill Murray Walker indicated Senna was not moving. A very bizzare day, l recall.

https://i.redd.it/79dy359kcvh31.jpg

Nitrodaze
1st November 2020, 10:04
Once again mercedes in a league of their own. The only question is when lewis will go past bottas and how much advantage they will have at the end.

Besides torro rosso, in 2006 they used new 2.4 v8 engines that were said to have 200hp less than the 3.0.
They also used grooved tyres then.

Yep that's right! It was a Ferrari 248 F1, 2.4 litre V8 pumping out 730 to 785 BHP beast.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/6/66/Michael_Schumacher_Canada_2006.jpg

But the Mercedes-AMG F1 M11 EQ Performance W11 2020 is a 1.6 litre V6 pumping out 950BHP beast. With the removed chicane and grooved tyres, the Mercedes W11 would still be faster than the Ferrari 248 F1 any day.

https://www.grandprixlegends.com/Images/Product/Default/xlarge/PG200244_1.jpg

The Black Knight
1st November 2020, 11:06
Yep that's right! It was a Ferrari 248 F1, 2.4 litre V8 pumping out 730 to 785 BHP beast.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/6/66/Michael_Schumacher_Canada_2006.jpg

But the Mercedes-AMG F1 M11 EQ Performance W11 2020 is a 1.6 litre V6 pumping out 950BHP beast. With the removed chicane and grooved tyres, the Mercedes W11 would still be faster than the Ferrari 248 F1 any day.

https://www.grandprixlegends.com/Images/Product/Default/xlarge/PG200244_1.jpg

I hate todays cars. They are so heavy that no matter how fast they go they look slow by comparison to the cars 16 years ago. The weight is ridiculous on them and there’s no need for it.

Anyway, the cars of today would have been faster but not 8 seconds faster. Love this track - it’s a real shame it’s not permanently on the calendar.

denkimi
1st November 2020, 12:00
Just as i thought. Bottas has to hold up verstappen so Hamilton can pass both.

truefan72
1st November 2020, 12:21
Unbelievable by Ferrari. WTF kinda pit stop was that for Vettel???? This is beyond ridiculous. Just ruined his race completely. Complete ineptitude when it comes to Vettel’s car. Even the pit crew don’t even care. SMH

truefan72
1st November 2020, 12:21
Bottas. Oh dear. Lack of concentration? Now Verstappen has overtaken him

gm99
1st November 2020, 12:23
Fun fact: No Finnish driver has ever won a Grand Prix on Italian soil. Looks like this tradition will continue for at least another year (in spite of three races in Italy this season).

gm99
1st November 2020, 12:37
Oh no, Russell throws away his first possible point :(

And why the hell did Racing Point bring Pérez in from a podium position?

truefan72
1st November 2020, 12:39
Interesting

truefan72
1st November 2020, 12:40
Oh dear Russell

truefan72
1st November 2020, 12:42
Might be either a tactical error or genius move to pit Perez again. This is gonna get interesting. But I think it will be an error as perez had track position and a lot younger tires than Ricciardo, LeClerc, and Albon. Overtaking is hard here. Hmm

truefan72
1st November 2020, 12:49
Oh dear Albon. I think he has just lost his 2021 seat to Perez

truefan72
1st November 2020, 12:50
Push Kyvatt !!! Come on. Take P3!

truefan72
1st November 2020, 12:52
Yup. It was a Racing Point blunder to pit Perez. A lost podium. Sigh...

truefan72
1st November 2020, 12:54
Congrats to Ricciardo for p3

truefan72
1st November 2020, 12:58
Congrats to Mercedes. 7x WCC! And in a row.
Hamilton drove a tactical great race and benefits from a timely VSC. But it would have been super close.
Excellent p4 for Kyvatt.

truefan72
1st November 2020, 13:00
I wonder if Ricciardo is going to regret leaving Renault

gm99
1st November 2020, 13:14
Yup. It was a Racing Point blunder to pit Perez. A lost podium. Sigh...

And a costly one as well, as Racing Point now drops behind Renault in the constructors championship.

Tazio
1st November 2020, 13:21
Boss swallows McRic's toe-jam smell!

:eek: :beer: :dog: :beer::burp: :facelick: :arrowed: :arrowed:

Tazio
1st November 2020, 13:28
Boss swallows McRic's toe-jam smell!

:stareup:

He drank his funk!

:dork: :laugh: :laugh: :dog: :dog: :smokin: :spinhead:

N. Jones
1st November 2020, 15:35
Love this track!
Albon and Stroll need to go.
I wish Haas would sign Perex and Hulkenberg but if it is true they could not afford their current drivers than Schumacher & Mazepin it is! They'll be at the back of the grid next year.
Damn Red Bull! They need to sign Perez and AT need to sign Hulkenberg. I doubt both will happen as Tsunoda(?) is a RB driver and would be signed at AT?
Gasly is right where he needs to be. He will get more of a fair shake at AT than he, or anyone outside of Perez or Hulkenberg, at Red Bull.

The Black Knight
1st November 2020, 19:02
Class track is Imola. Should always be on the Calendar. So unlucky for Bottas today. He did nothing wrong and was very unlucky.

Stroll proved once again he doesn’t deserve a seat in F1 and Albon is very quickly making the case to be dropped and be without a seat for next year. They need to get Hulkenberg or Perez into RBR.

I felt so sorry for Russell. I think he’s one of the best talents on the grid but his day will come soon I’m sure and he’ll learn from today.

N. Jones
1st November 2020, 20:09
To me Russel is making too many mistakes. Every time he gets close to the points he bins it and that is starting to worry me.

Nitrodaze
1st November 2020, 20:12
CONGRATULATION MERCEDES-PETRONAS TEAM

Today, Toto Woolf becomes the most successfull team boss to have won seven consecutive constructors championship for Merecedes. An unprecedented acheivement which strips the FIA President Jean Todt of this long standing accolade. Lewis Hamilton exceeding the most number of laps led by a driver and pushing the most number of wins by a driver further up to 93.

Mercedes excelled while the competition faltered. Four DNFs in a short weird season has proved very costly to Verstapenn's 2020 campaign. An unlucky puncture, putting him out of a well deserved 2nd place. That was cruel bad luck. Redbull did not score a single point on a weekend where they had a brilliant showing.

How unlucky for Bottas who was outstanding in this race. Winning championships is to do with providence as it is to do with raw talent. And Bottas has had some very costly Bad luck this season. But he sits comfortably in 2nd place in the driver's championship.

i have to say, the Racing Point strategist is simply the dumbest individual to hold that position since the beginning of the Hybrid era. How glaringly stupid that decision was to pit Perez from what was a very deserved podium position. Perez would be disappointed to say the least.

Russell made a very uncharacteristic error to styme what was to be a very possible point score today. It was a rookie mistake and very embarassing on a weekend where the Williams team had openly backed him for a seat next season. It is one of those occasions that would stick in the mind for months to come.

Kyvat drove an excellent race. Finishing fourth to remind the Alpha Tauri team that he is still a great driver. It is quite unclear why Gasly was retired. If he were in this race to the end, chances are that he might have ended up on the podium on this very topsy torvy race.

Kimi Raikonen once again showed what a great champion he is. A fantastic drive to put the Alfa Romeo into the points. Kimi's points showed what a missed opportunity that was for Vettel with his long pitstop.

Nitrodaze
1st November 2020, 20:37
To me Russel is making too many mistakes. Every time he gets close to the points he bins it and that is starting to worry me.

This is the first time that he has done this. It was a rookie mistake. He would learn from it.

Tazio
1st November 2020, 20:38
https://scontent-lax3-1.cdninstagram.com/v/t51.2885-19/s150x150/79376433_1449292608571231_2422030563289333760_n.jp g?_nc_ht=scontent-lax3-1.cdninstagram.com&_nc_ohc=w6FCTHwc1B0AX9GCxwl&oh=0f83be4dc9ded96a5d37b6cac11a3042&oe=5FCA56E3
f1 (https://www.instagram.com/f1/)
Verified

FINALLY a @danielricciardo (https://www.instagram.com/danielricciardo/) shoey 🍾👞

How did it taste, @LewisHamilton (https://www.instagram.com/LewisHamilton/) 😝

🎥 @renaultf1team (https://www.instagram.com/renaultf1team/)

:beer::grenade: :burp: :laugh: :beer::burp: :champion:

N. Jones
1st November 2020, 21:54
Yes, there was a left right chicane leading onto the start finish straight after Rivazza. I was disappointed to see that removed because it could have potentially allowed for a little overtaking. I think tomorrow will be a boring race.

It was removed when they rebuilt the pitlane.

denkimi
2nd November 2020, 08:12
Class track is Imola. Should always be on the Calendar. So unlucky for Bottas today. He did nothing wrong and was very unlucky.
What?

A track like this with zero overtaking opportunities should not be used, no matter how good the layout is.

N. Jones
2nd November 2020, 14:27
I disagree. It's a nice, narrow track that punishes mistakes.

Nitrodaze
2nd November 2020, 15:28
I disagree. It's a nice, narrow track that punishes mistakes.

I agree, a fast flowing old school track. It deserves a place on the F1 calendar. If Monaco can have a place on the F1 calendar,. so can Imola, l think.

Steve Boyd
3rd November 2020, 00:53
Interesting to me that when we go to an old style track we also get old style retirement rates! Coincidence??

zako85
3rd November 2020, 11:44
Racing Point's call for Perez to come into the pits for tire change just a few laps before the end of race was so unfortunate. I am not saying that Perez deserved a podium in this race, but he was certainly the driver who deserved the most to benefit from Verstappen's unfortunate with exploding tire. This was so stupid. Do you all recall a race in Monaco a few years back when the Mercedes crew called in Hamilton, the race leader, into pits for tire change under safety car only a few laps before the end of race? Hamilton was almost crying on the radio when he realized that this cost him a win at Monaco.

Nitrodaze
3rd November 2020, 15:01
Racing Point's call for Perez to come into the pits for tire change just a few laps before the end of race was so unfortunate. I am not saying that Perez deserved a podium in this race, but he was certainly the driver who deserved the most to benefit from Verstappen's unfortunate with exploding tire. This was so stupid. Do you all recall a race in Monaco a few years back when the Mercedes crew called in Hamilton, the race leader, into pits for tire change under safety car only a few laps before the end of race? Hamilton was almost crying on the radio when he realized that this cost him a win at Monaco.

Well this Racing Point strategist make the dumb Mercedes strategist look like a math professor. At least Mercedes won that race, just the wrong guy won. While the racing Point strategist has dropped the team from third place in the constructors championship and put Perez further out of contention for 4th in the drivers championship. It was such a costly mistake.

When you consider that Racing Point lost 15 points from copycat-gate, they would not like to lose points in the bag unnecessarily like this.