PDA

View Full Version : [WRC] Monza Rally 2020

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7

AnttiL
12th October 2020, 09:59
This is what we have been told

The asphalt event will take place on 4 - 6 December and will be based at the famous Autodromo Nazionale de Monza race circuit near Milan, in the north of the country.

The itinerary will adopt the FIA WRC’s short format schedule, featuring about 220km of special stages, with the majority of the first and last day action at the circuit.

Saturday’s middle leg speed tests will comprise demanding closed public roads in the Lombardy region close to Monza.

Here we have the maps of 2009 Monza Rally Show. It's all based on the circuit, new and old combined, with lots of chicanes and short bits of service road.

https://www.rally-maps.com/Monza-Rally-Show-2009

Basically SS1 and SS2 are the same but in reverse direction, both around 10 km in length with no repeated sections. Then you have the Grand Prix stage which is four laps around the route from the two previous stages.

The tarmac stages could be something in this region https://www.rally-maps.com/Rally-Trofeo-Aci-Como-2018

Let's assume they could pull off 150 km of tarmac stages on Saturday, that would leave 70 km of Monza for Friday and Sunday (however, it says "majority of first and last day action at the circuit")

And finally some Monza onboard from 2018

https://youtu.be/-LIIv-KBHsk

And some Como onboard from 2018, looking like Corsica/Sanremo

https://youtu.be/iKgKKyuBfa0

tc10a
12th October 2020, 14:17
In one report it was mentioned that there is also some Pirelli Testtrack in this wider area which could be used for a stage.

er88
12th October 2020, 15:09
Jeez I hope we don't get too many boring as fuck stages on the actual monza track.

T16
13th October 2020, 07:20
A good couple of additions potentially:

https://rallysportmag.com/m-sport-plan-on-talking-to-rossi-kubica-about-monza/

Fast Eddie WRC
13th October 2020, 12:01
https://www.autosport.com/wrc/news/152771/ogier-rally-monza-wrc-addition-great-news/

The WRC Promoter has confirmed Rally Monza will adopt a "short format schedule", with the Friday and Sunday legs consisting of track-based tests with crews competing on closed roads in the Lombardy region on the Saturday. In total, the route that has been drawn is said to cover 137 competitive miles.

m-ast
13th October 2020, 12:19
Assuming it runs outside of Monza if CV-19 restrictions allow then its going to be interesting to see if they try and limit spectator access. The main thrust behind moving the Italian round of the championship off the mainland was to try and reduce numbers of the traditionally over enthusiastic Italian fans.

Another forum member informed me that what many of the Italian events are doing to alleviate the problem is choosing roads without junctions or with few junctions.

Stages start 5km from a junction and finish likewise. Any roads joining are also closed 5km from stage. The roads are closed 12 hours before by police to ensure no one enters.

You couldn't put doors to a field, it's a complicate legal issue, here in Spain it was talking of trying to do events without spectators but that's imposible, you are given permission to close the road but not to close and forbid people on privately owned fields across the stage

Fast Eddie WRC
13th October 2020, 15:30
I guess if the Driver's title is already resolved in Ypres then Monza may not attract so many fans.

And even if it's not decided, its still likely to be between Evans & Ogier who dont pull the crowds like say Tanak and Neuville from their home countries...

Andre Oliveira
13th October 2020, 20:20
I hope the rumour of Rossi and Kubica in, to become true.

dimviii
14th October 2020, 03:40
I hope the rumour of Rossi and Kubica in, to become true.

specially Kubica.I want to watch him.

wyler
14th October 2020, 09:28
I guess if the Driver's title is already resolved in Ypres then Monza may not attract so many fans.

And even if it's not decided, its still likely to be between Evans & Ogier who dont pull the crowds like say Tanak and Neuville from their home countries...

you joking right? : )
I've got wrc at 2hours from home I'll go (expecially outside the track). period. don't really care if it's already won, i love to see them driving! classification is a second though!

dimviii
20th October 2020, 17:43
Hyundai hints at star guest driver for Monza

Hyundai could add a "proper guest" to its driver lineup for the season-ending Monza Rally
https://dirtfish.com/rally/wrc/hyundai-hints-at-star-guest-driver-for-monza/

macebig
20th October 2020, 21:55
Guess it's Tarquini.

Myrvold
21st October 2020, 14:46
It could even be Dovizioso. He's done the rally show before, and the MotoGP season is over before the Monza rally.

Jarek Z
23rd October 2020, 18:46
It doesn't look good in Italy :(
https://www.forbes.com/sites/rebeccahughes/2020/10/21/is-italy-headed-for-another-coronavirus-lockdown/#bda91507981c

EstWRC
23rd October 2020, 18:55
it doesnt look good for anything...i would stop the season, hand the title to Evans and concentrate on next season.

IMO the promoter and FIA totally missed the right window in summer period where the numbers were low, it should have started earlier than in september, like Ogier and Makinen also said to dirtfish.

its the end of October and we have had only 3 rallies, now a huge gap between Ypres and Sardegna, i dont get it why.

sorry for the outburst and i know with rally the things arent so easy to manage but im just a huge hardcore fan and disappointed.

djip
23rd October 2020, 20:53
it doesnt look good for anything...i would stop the season, hand the title to Evans and concentrate on next season.

IMO the promoter and FIA totally missed the right window in summer period where the numbers were low, it should have started earlier than in september, like Ogier and Makinen also said to dirtfish.

its the end of October and we have had only 3 rallies, now a huge gap between Ypres and Sardegna, i dont get it why.

sorry for the outburst and i know with rally the things arent so easy to manage but im just a huge hardcore fan and disappointed.

I could not agree more. Why on earth no WRC event in august when they were some ERC rounds ? Beats me ...

AndyRAC
24th October 2020, 08:43
Have to agree. The Promoter and/or FiA handled it poorly. The last major motorsport series to return, and by a long way. Add that to being invisible during the lockdown when other series were active with various activities.
I accept things are difficult, it's affected everybody - and you can't organise an event at the drop of a hat, but it really has shown them up.

T16
24th October 2020, 09:11
Yep - well said Est and Andy. Unfortunately, their handling of the championship this year seems to go hand in hand with a lot of the decisions (or lack of) that are being made at the top.

AnttiL
24th October 2020, 09:14
Liepaja was attempted to make into a WRC event but it didn’t work out, I guess it was their best shot. You don’t really put up a WRC event from nowhere in a couple of weeks.

tommeke_B
24th October 2020, 09:24
+1. It's very easy to judge if you don't know how much work goes into it organizing an event or championship. Not even talking about the extra challenges they're facing these times.

dimviii
24th October 2020, 11:18
The Monza Rally will run within the confines of the Autodromo Nazionale di Monza on Friday and Sunday with roads used in the surrounding mountains on Saturday.

There’s plenty of speculation that stages included on the Rally Trofeo ACI Como, which runs as a standalone event on November 6-7, will be part of the itinerary. But that speculation is wide of the mark according to Turitto.

“I don’t think we use the Como stages,” he said, “I think we can find some other nice roads. We have some ideas.”

https://dirtfish.com/rally/wrc/monzas-six-week-plan-to-preapre-for-its-wrc-debut/

Eli
24th October 2020, 12:21
+1. It's very easy to judge if you don't know how much work goes into it organizing an event or championship. Not even talking about the extra challenges they're facing these times.

True, no one is saying it's easy, far from it, but the fact of the matter is that the ERC has managed to pull it off and they managed to get their season up and running back in July where as the WRC still didn't know what to do and how to manage their depleting calendar. The events were dropped one by one like flies..Surely the WRC could've brought the Rally of Estonia to Mid-August (and with better preparation maybe even sooner), it's not like they had to plan the event from mid-air, they were planning to do the event anyhow. It's the FIA's (& Promoter) job to make sure it happens and they also should've been more clear on their plans and taken those decisions sooner and therefore would've made it easier for each Rally Organizer to prepare their event on time. There's no reason why the WRC should have started in early Sep. when by then most disciplines have already started, and I still don't see why the WRC couldn't get Ypres to run next weekend instead of a month from now and why we couldn't get another event or two when they built the redesigned calendar for 2020. The only 'good' lesson they (hopefully not just for next year) learned is that next season we already have replacement rallies in case the original calendar will fall flat on it's face like it did this year... Sorry for opening this here, should've been on a different thread, if we continue discussing it I propose we'll continue on the right thread.

AnttiL
24th October 2020, 13:22
I don’t think Rally Estonia could have run any earlier. Remember how they almost didn’t run the rally at all before they got the replacement slot? It was quite an achievement to get it organized so quickly. Also, Liepaja was on the initial plans for August

Fast Eddie WRC
24th October 2020, 14:56
I've got wrc at 2hours from home I'll go (expecially outside the track). period. don't really care if it's already won, i love to see them driving! classification is a second though!

Of course close by rally fans are going to attend !

I said fans of Tanak and Neuvuille wont travel there in big numbers as they would if either was in with a chance of clinching the title at Monza.

AnttiL
24th October 2020, 16:56
In any case, traveling would be very limited...

Eli
24th October 2020, 16:59
I don’t think Rally Estonia could have run any earlier. Remember how they almost didn’t run the rally at all before they got the replacement slot? It was quite an achievement to get it organized so quickly. Also, Liepaja was on the initial plans for August

Yes I remember the whole chaos before running Rally Estonia, and I'm saying kudos to their organizers, however, it's the FIA's & promoter's job to find a venue and make it happen so the championship isn't frozen for 6 whole months...

Fredouye
24th October 2020, 19:27
In any case, traveling would be very limited...

Especially if Monza track is closed for the public...I’ll try the Saturday stages because it’s 2 hours from home, but coming from another country for a single day :(

wyler
25th October 2020, 09:27
Especially if Monza track is closed for the public...I’ll try the Saturday stages because it’s 2 hours from home, but coming from another country for a single day :(

Everything depends on the pandemic. Italy has now a "mild lockdown" until 24th November

Rally Power
25th October 2020, 10:54
True, no one is saying it's easy, far from it, but the fact of the matter is that the ERC has managed to pull it off and they managed to get their season up and running back in July where as the WRC still didn't know what to do and how to manage their depleting calendar. The events were dropped one by one like flies..Surely the WRC could've brought the Rally of Estonia to Mid-August (and with better preparation maybe even sooner), it's not like they had to plan the event from mid-air, they were planning to do the event anyhow. It's the FIA's (& Promoter) job to make sure it happens and they also should've been more clear on their plans and taken those decisions sooner and therefore would've made it easier for each Rally Organizer to prepare their event on time. There's no reason why the WRC should have started in early Sep. when by then most disciplines have already started, and I still don't see why the WRC couldn't get Ypres to run next weekend instead of a month from now and why we couldn't get another event or two when they built the redesigned calendar for 2020. The only 'good' lesson they (hopefully not just for next year) learned is that next season we already have replacement rallies in case the original calendar will fall flat on it's face like it did this year... Sorry for opening this here, should've been on a different thread, if we continue discussing it I propose we'll continue on the right thread.

As you've recognized, the WRC got more events cancelled than the ERC and most of those occured on a short notice after the lockdown; still the promoter managed to restart the series with a new top event and run two more without further delays.

On Ypres you're totally right; it was quite puzzling having the event date changed from October (after getting Turkey moved one week earlier) to late November, forcing Monza rally entry as a contigency plan (making possible to have the world titles decided on a racing circuit by stupid tires chicanes penalties).

Ucci
25th October 2020, 15:42
(making possible to have the world titles decided on a racing circuit by stupid tires chicanes penalties).

Stupid or not; it is going to be the same for everyone; by the way, we are talking about BEST rally drivers in the world, so they must drive on each surface & in any weather and around each obstacle (tree, fence, building, barn, hay bale...).

Rally Power
25th October 2020, 15:56
Stupid or not; it is going to be the same for everyone; by the way, we are talking about BEST rally drivers in the world, so they must drive on each surface & in any weather and around each obstacle (tree, fence, building, barn, hay bale...).

Exactly for being the BEST rally drivers of the world, they shouldn't be forced to fight for the world rally title on a event that cannot be considered as a proper rally.

Eli
25th October 2020, 16:25
As you've recognized, the WRC got more events cancelled than the ERC and most of those occurred on a short notice after the lock-down; still the promoter managed to restart the series with a new top event and run two more without further delays.

On Ypres you're totally right; it was quite puzzling having the event date changed from October (after getting Turkey moved one week earlier) to late November, forcing Monza rally entry as a contingency plan (making possible to have the world titles decided on a racing circuit by stupid tires chicanes penalties).

I will say this, it's harder when you have a world championship on your shoulders rather than, an all European one, especially since (in all it's irony) this year, the FIA went (truly) global with events in Japan,New-Zealand and Kenya whilst still running Mexico & Argentina (& Chile if you consider the proposed Sep. 2019 Calendar).
However, the FIA & Promoter should've responded quicker to the situation once they saw events being dropped left & right, maybe even take an event from the ERC.... like Cyprus, might've been a good fix.

I know that as a fan it might seem that what I'm asking for is too much and I can't even possibly begin to realize the challenge both promoter, FIA and each rally organizer had this year and are still facing now (& next year). With all that said, the reason I'm asking this, is because I don't want to see this series die, I want it to prosper.
I want to know that I can trust that the people up there are doing their bid so our sport will continue for another year and another and after that prosper (once possible). I want to know that I don't have to be in an uncertainty when it comes to the WRC, I want them to have a proper plan and for them to know when to be flexible and to not go crashing straight into the wall.

I truly hope we will see our series live on, because in my humble opinion, we do have one of the best sports in the world, and unlike F1 (yawn) the title fight we had for the past 3 (& a half) seasons was an actual title fight...

Fredouye
26th October 2020, 07:58
V. Rossi is interested : https://www.wrc.com/fr/news/season-2020/wrc/valentino-rossi-vise-le-rally-monza/

AnttiL
26th October 2020, 08:55
Yes I remember the whole chaos before running Rally Estonia, and I'm saying kudos to their organizers, however, it's the FIA's & promoter's job to find a venue and make it happen so the championship isn't frozen for 6 whole months...

Safari was cancelled in mid-May, Finland in early June. And Covid-situation was still pretty dire in June, only getting better in July. You don't really put up a rally in a month, nor can you ask multiple rallies to try arranging a rally for the same weekend and hope that one of them succeeds.

denkimi
26th October 2020, 10:30
Exactly for being the BEST rally drivers of the world, they shouldn't be forced to fight for the world rally title on a event that cannot be considered as a proper rally.
Why not? It's just as much different from the usual rally as safari.

One such event would be an improvement of the championship. Rallying is all about being able to drive on everything everywhere. So why not an event on smooth clean asphalt.

It's something different, it will be just as much a challenge for the drivers.

AnttiL
26th October 2020, 11:03
(making possible to have the world titles decided on a racing circuit by stupid tires chicanes penalties).

The chicane penalties won't be used in WRC Monza Rally.

https://dirtfish.com/rally/wrc/monzas-six-week-plan-to-preapre-for-its-wrc-debut/

AnttiL
26th October 2020, 11:04
Why not? It's just as much different from the usual rally as safari.

The old Safari probably would have been different as a rally. The 2020 Safari wouldn't have been that different.

But doing a whole rally of 10 km super special stages on a circuit with with chicanes, cones etc., that would be completely unique to the whole WRC.

I'm still hoping and believing that Monza will be made into a proper rally and not like Monza Rally Show. I don't care if they do the Monza Rally show style stage as a "super special" on Friday and Sunday. Even if they do it twice both days, as long as Saturday is a long day of proper stages.

sindroms
26th October 2020, 11:20
Liepaja was attempted to make into a WRC event but it didn’t work out, I guess it was their best shot. You don’t really put up a WRC event from nowhere in a couple of weeks.

Problem for Liepaja was not to set event in a such short time. Everything was ready and Liepaja was in team plans already when all was stopped... Organizers don't tell on public the real reason because of "not to close any doors for the future".

Tom K
26th October 2020, 11:34
We can speculate that the main reason was money :spin: The one thing the WRC Promoter told every candidate was not to forget about the "entry fee" :cool:

sindroms
26th October 2020, 11:49
We can speculate that the main reason was money :spin: The one thing the WRC Promoter told every candidate was not to forget about the "entry fee" :cool:

Money was not problem. Entry fee for Liepaja was more than reasonable - 450 000 EUR and government was ready to open wallet.

Ucci
26th October 2020, 12:00
V. Rossi is interested : https://www.wrc.com/fr/news/season-2020/wrc/valentino-rossi-vise-le-rally-monza/

Perfect!! If Kubica will be also driving, even better. It will bring more interset to the audience and journalists.

denkimi
26th October 2020, 17:54
The old Safari probably would have been different as a rally. The 2020 Safari wouldn't have been that different.

But doing a whole rally of 10 km super special stages on a circuit with with chicanes, cones etc., that would be completely unique to the whole WRC.

I'm still hoping and believing that Monza will be made into a proper rally and not like Monza Rally Show. I don't care if they do the Monza Rally show style stage as a "super special" on Friday and Sunday. Even if they do it twice both days, as long as Saturday is a long day of proper stages.
Monza rally show was never more than that, a show.

I don't know how big the area of the circuit is, but if there are some acces and service roads, they might be able to create something that looks like real rally.

We had something similar in spa here.
https://youtu.be/G0NXBU1_wRY
https://youtu.be/vI1HYijUy_8

Fast Eddie WRC
27th October 2020, 09:46
Well Suninen is happy to go to Monza...

https://dirtfish.com/rally/wrc/why-suninen-is-looking-forward-to-monza-so-much

wyler
27th October 2020, 11:38
Monza rally show was never more than that, a show.

I don't know how big the area of the circuit is, but if there are some acces and service roads, they might be able to create something that looks like real rally.

We had something similar in spa here.
https://youtu.be/G0NXBU1_wRY
https://youtu.be/vI1HYijUy_8

Before Monza was a track show, it was a real rally, with some ss on track, some on service road and some on real road (even gravel!)

Tom K
4th November 2020, 11:14
Saturday with ~ 130 km "mountain" stages. Thursday, Friday and Sunday on track. Probably 16 SS total.

dimviii
4th November 2020, 12:14
i would like to see Paddons kona at Monza.It will be nice to see how it sounds and how fast can be against current wrc at asphalt.

Mirek
4th November 2020, 12:26
i would like to see Paddons kona at Monza.It will be nice to see how it sounds and how fast can be against current wrc at asphalt.

And how far it can go in real conditions. I'd like to see that too.

By the way in this video from 2017 you can see few shots of Černý with Stohl's electric P207 against rally, rallycross and autocross cars. Unfortunately it broke early. The P207 is at 0:15 and 1:32.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Wp3kqcIZDQ

Tom K
4th November 2020, 12:38
I saw and (almost) did not hear Stohl's/STARD Fiesta for Project E in december 2019. The sound is awful. You can hear similar from Kona during some moments of Paddon's video. It is like ping/whistle and you are only wondering where the guy with remote controller is staying :eek:

wyler
4th November 2020, 16:40
rumors on the real stages:

"We will start with the Selvino (Km 26.39), the historic test of the Ronde Città dei Mille and the Rally Città di Bergamo, in a longer version than normal. It continues with the time trial of Gerosa (Km 11.31), also this former test of the Bergamo Rally. Once you have crossed the Val Brembilla, you go to the territory of Sant'Omobono Terme, for the third time trial of the day, or the Costa Valle Imagna (Km 22.13). All tests are to be repeated twice, interspersed with a service park inside the racetrack. The day will end with the Grand Prix (10.33 km), which will be held inside the racetrack at nightfall"

I'm sure AnttiL will find some map soon! :)

wyler
4th November 2020, 16:58
here the short Selvino version (8km) map from 2019:
https://www.arescommunication.com/la-ronde/cartina-ps-selvino

and video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wrPkeAUpxw8&feature=emb_logo

race video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jB0PhmO1X6k
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VK-z659q-ZE (onboard)

dimviii
4th November 2020, 21:54
And how far it can go in real conditions. I'd like to see that too.

“It’s comparable to AP4. That’s what we are looking for – we’re not trying to build a rocket ship because then we can’t compete with it. It’s got to be comparable." – Hayden Paddon.

https://rallysportmag.com/interview-hayden-paddon-explains-his-hyundai-ev-rally-car/

Mirek
4th November 2020, 22:26

I really like the stage and in a way also the onboard because of what all it caught in 6 minutes... stalled engine, big moment, several other mistakes and on top of that suicidal spectators running on the stage with their back to the coming car :D

flykas
5th November 2020, 06:26
here the short Selvino version (8km) map from 2019:
https://www.arescommunication.com/la-ronde/cartina-ps-selvino

and video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wrPkeAUpxw8&feature=emb_logo

race video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jB0PhmO1X6k

Well if all the stages would similar then I think that would be a great rally.

EstWRC
5th November 2020, 11:25
this is all very nice but im 80% sure the rally wont go ahead and we are finished with this season and big chance the next one will start in spring the earliest by my predictions if at all

Tom K
5th November 2020, 12:06
But as 106 sport user indicated in rumours topic, there really was some contact between Hyundai, M-Sport, Citroen [Ostberg needs one more event] and Canarias organizers. Toyota is in oposition, but for me it's bit surprising. They have almost 100% title in drivers category, but they could fight for Manus title.

The second thing is that if they scratch saturday stages in Monza and make closed event on the track, only half points will be given. Drivers title it's [almost] done then.

Canarias would be perfect anyway...

rallyfiend
5th November 2020, 12:24
Why contact the teams?

Isn't that a silly way to approach this? isn't the glaringly obvious step to approach WRC Promoter and FIA....?

Hartusvuori
5th November 2020, 12:52
But as 106 sport user indicated in rumours topic, there really was some contact between Hyundai, M-Sport, Citroen [Ostberg needs one more event] and Canarias organizers. Toyota is in oposition, but for me it's bit surprising. They have almost 100% title in drivers category, but they could fight for Manus title.

The second thing is that if they scratch saturday stages in Monza and make closed event on the track, only half points will be given. Drivers title it's [almost] done then.

Canarias would be perfect anyway...

This classifies very well under the definition of rumours. Do you have any other information than what 106 wrote? I mean, for that Toyota bit.

wyler
5th November 2020, 13:20
I really like the stage and in a way also the onboard because of what all it caught in 6 minutes... stalled engine, big moment, several other mistakes and on top of that suicidal spectators running on the stage with their back to the coming car :D

you should get the notes from the codriver: "look at this a**hole"!

wyler
5th November 2020, 13:21
Well if all the stages would similar then I think that would be a great rally.

uhm a road so wide is a bit of an exception in Italian mountains. iI expect something narrower form the other stages

Mirek
5th November 2020, 16:31
Why contact the teams?

Isn't that a silly way to approach this? isn't the glaringly obvious step to approach WRC Promoter and FIA....?

Because you obviously want them to keep competing in the future...

SubaruNorway
5th November 2020, 17:15
Why contact the teams?

It was the other way around from what i got, teams pushing the organizer to get in touch with the promoter to hold an event

Tauri_J
5th November 2020, 17:52
Village organisation...

Ogier was right.

AnttiL
5th November 2020, 19:14
https://dirtfish.com/rally/wrc/itinerary-revealed-for-wrcs-monza-season-finale

Four different Monza stages (plus super special)

Fast Eddie WRC
5th November 2020, 20:14
130 km of local road stages on the Saturday is a big improvment on a track-only event like the Rally Show.

AnttiL
6th November 2020, 05:18
I'm curious to know whether the four Monza stages are just different chicane variations or two driving directions (there's roughly 10 km of route on the Monza Rally Show used typically) or have they found some new service roads to be added to the mix.

Tom K
6th November 2020, 09:18
A lot of gravel sections are planned. Even 8-11 per stage. And acccording to itinerary and order: Stage A, Stage A, Stage B, Stage B it can be like you told: partly reverse direction and using common sections.

br21
6th November 2020, 10:11
All SS are on tarmac with the following variations:
- In the Shakedown there is one stretch on gravel for a total of 0,15 km
- In the SS2 and SS3 there are seven stretches on gravel for a total of 2,18 km
- In the SS4 and SS5 there are nine stretches on gravel for a total of 2,96 km
- In the SS15 and SS16 there are eleven stretches on gravel for a total of 3,40 km

wyler
6th November 2020, 17:11
I'm curious to know whether the four Monza stages are just different chicane variations or two driving directions (there's roughly 10 km of route on the Monza Rally Show used typically) or have they found some new service roads to be added to the mix.

more curious about grand prix one. it will be like at Monza show? all car in track at the same time? seems impossible to me...

AnttiL
6th November 2020, 17:17
more curious about grand prix one. it will be like at Monza show? all car in track at the same time? seems impossible to me...

Hopefully not...at least the stage is so short that multiple laps are not needed

wyler
6th November 2020, 17:34
Hopefully not...at least the stage is so short that multiple laps are not needed

yes. just saw kms now. should be one lap, so no car overlapping.

Fast Eddie WRC
10th November 2020, 13:19
:(

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EmdPqZQWEAAVfE6?format=jpg&name=medium

dimviii
10th November 2020, 14:14
from French forum what a journalist wrote

Mario Alparone calls for HELP: "340 of our caregivers are positive and at home. Monza is overwhelmed by the growth of infections. We are now only accepting the seriously ill. I need the reinforcement of the army and the civil protection".

focus206
10th November 2020, 14:17
Lombardy (where Monza is located) is considered "red zone" since quite some time, so it's not a surprise nor something that happened out of nowhere... but as things went so far, I suppose FIA will just wait for Monza to be cancelled and be done with it?

Tom K
10th November 2020, 15:29
Rally di Como has run during last weekend when Lombardy is already considered as red zone. ~ 200 crews on the start list. Of course, COVID situation can get worse each 2-3 days, so we can only wait and hope.

wyler
10th November 2020, 16:06
Monza is scheduled just at the end of the lockdown for red zones. Italy is allowing major rallies as" sport events of national relevance". Wrc will be good IF lockdown works and there will be an improvement (or at least stabilization) of covid spread in the next 2 weeks. ATM can happen, like Como especially with people in lockdown, no public issue.

Tom K
11th November 2020, 12:29
So, Monza Circuit is now check point for those suspected of having COVID.

Fast Eddie WRC
12th November 2020, 10:24
No M-Sport test for Monza as their season is basically over and budget needs to the saved for next year.

https://dirtfish.com/rally/wrc/millener-m-sport-likely-to-skip-pre-monza-wrc-test/

wyler
12th November 2020, 12:29
So, Monza Circuit is now check point for those suspected of having COVID.

Not a big deal. It's just a drive trough test for ambulances, instead of doing it in hospital ER, so they send to hospital only people in need. Nothing more than a gate and a tent.Don't think it will mean any issue for circuit activity

dimviii
13th November 2020, 05:33
Veiby set for Monza World Rally Car debut

Ole Christian Veiby will make his first competitive World Rally Car appearance in next month’s WRC finale at ACI Rally Monza (3 - 6 December).

https://www.wrc.com/en/news/season-2020/wrc/veiby-set-for-monza-world-rally-car-debut/

Jarek Z
13th November 2020, 09:06
Veiby set for Monza World Rally Car debut

Some guys are lucky. 6 years without any success and now a WRC car...

Rallyper
13th November 2020, 09:22

The combination needed if you´re not top driver...

skarderud
13th November 2020, 10:17
He does not pay for the car.
Hyundai pays.

Sent fra min SM-G950F via Tapatalk

rallyfiend
13th November 2020, 10:18
Hyundai pays.

I bet that is not at all true...

In the same way that there are Even logos all over his WRC2 car, this is isn't a free ride.....

mknight
13th November 2020, 10:42

Well there is a small chance that WRC car will suit him better than R5, there are a few drivers which are like that (and also the other way around). But based on how many rallies he has done in multiple different cars without big success I doubt it.

Imo he is turning into a new Matt Wilson, ok speed, just not enough to get on podium. Better to watch him than Al Quassimi or something like that thought. On the other hand he is at least partly closing the door for people like Hutunen.

With regards to Monza it is possible it will be the car spec from before mid 2019 that Loubet is driving... in that case I can't see how he can be faster than anyone of 8 "factory" drivers even on single stages.

AnttiL
13th November 2020, 10:43
Hyundai pays.

With Hyundai, you mean Hyundai Norway or something? Hard to believe Hyundai Motorsport is paying for the ride. I would believe it if he would be WRC2 champion by now or something.

Jarek Z
13th November 2020, 13:53
Hard to believe Hyundai Motorsport is paying for the ride. I would believe it if he would be WRC2 champion by now or something.

Yes. It's hard to imagine that Hyundai chose Veiby over, for example, Huttunen.

Tom K
13th November 2020, 14:09
If it comes to Veiby-Huttunen choice, it is very easy:cool: Huttunen has still some job to do in WRC 3. Veiby can't even score in WRC 2.

Here is about payment: https://www.vg.no/sport/motorsport/i/KyyO0X/hyundai-sjefen-gir-veiby-sjansen-i-vm-utrolig-kult

AnttiL
13th November 2020, 14:23
Here is about payment: https://www.vg.no/sport/motorsport/i/KyyO0X/hyundai-sjefen-gir-veiby-sjansen-i-vm-utrolig-kult

You're right, I stand corrected, although it still seems kinda random :confused:

Tom K
13th November 2020, 14:49
Sure, it is strange. Maybe it has sth common with Team B and taking points from Toyota? I do not know whether they officially registered Hyundai 2C Competition as a Team B. According to pre-covid sporting rules Team B cannot give points for main manu, but could take it away from rivals. And there were also some restrictions about who can drive in Team B. So it is not that easy just to put Sordo/Breen in fourth i20 WRC. Loeb is focused on Dakar.

Of course, small chance that Veiby will be faster than Toyota trio, but...

AnttiL
13th November 2020, 14:53
They did register 2C, they even got their first manufacturer points in Sardegna (Loubet retired both Estonia and Turkey on the final day).

It's true that the rule states that they cannot swap drivers between A and B teams so all of Sordo, Breen and Loeb are out of question...maybe it's also a slap in the face to Mikkelsen, who talked bad about them?

Jarek Z
13th November 2020, 15:30
If it comes to Veiby-Huttunen choice, it is very easy:cool: Huttunen has still some job to do in WRC 3. Veiby can't even score in WRC 2.

Oh sorry! You are right. I forgot that Huttunen hasn't won WRC3 yet! :)

Tom K
13th November 2020, 15:34
Hopefully we will get some proper three-way battle for WRC 3 title in Bergamo mountains :)

br21
13th November 2020, 15:58
it's simply politics of Hyundai Motorsport, for Ypres they also offered Team B car for one good driver

AnttiL
13th November 2020, 17:00
it's simply politics of Hyundai Motorsport, for Ypres they also offered Team B car for one good driver

I thought Tsjoen would have been more like having an enjoyable gentleman in a top class car in his home rally, and the car had his own sponsor decals

br21
13th November 2020, 18:47
Tsjoen yes, he was normal paying customer, they were speaking with other driver

tommeke_B
13th November 2020, 19:18

Tsjoen is a paying customer indeed, and sort of gentleman driver, but he might have got some special deal anyway. With his company he's been buying steel from Hyundai Steel for years (they produce very high quality steel for deep drawing), and has been invited to WRC events by Hyundai in the past. But that's a bit off-topic. ;)

pantealex
13th November 2020, 21:13
They did register 2C, they even got their first manufacturer points in Sardegna (Loubet retired both Estonia and Turkey on the final day).

It's true that the rule states that they cannot swap drivers between A and B teams so all of Sordo, Breen and Loeb are out of question...maybe it's also a slap in the face to Mikkelsen, who talked bad about them?

Rule also says that 2C (or any other "B team") can enter only one (1) car for manufacturers championship, I strongly believe that Loubet is faster with WRC than Veiby.
So probably Loubet for points and OC Veiby "just for fun"

tommeke_B
13th November 2020, 21:18
To be honest I don't think either Loubet or Veiby is in a WRC car because of their extraordinary talent... ;)

AnttiL
14th November 2020, 08:30
To be honest I don't think either Loubet or Veiby is in a WRC car because of their extraordinary talent... ;)

In the case of Loubet, it's clear that FFSA is funding those drives. But for Veiby, the Norwegian article stated that Hyundai is paying all expenses.

AnttiL
14th November 2020, 08:32

So there would have been the three factory cars, Loubet, Tsjoen and this mystery driver? Six cars altogether?

tommeke_B
14th November 2020, 09:21
In the case of Loubet, it's clear that FFSA is funding those drives. But for Veiby, the Norwegian article stated that Hyundai is paying all expenses.
Loubet has never done any rallies in France, he didn't go through any of the trophies the talented French drivers come from, completely ignored FFSA and everything they're standing behind (the trophies, Rallye Jeunes etc). This year he suddenly appears with a few FFSA-stickers on the car and "it's clear that FFSA is funding those drives"? Come on... France has better drivers to care about than him. ;) I think there's some big (private) budget behind him, regardless of the stickers that may appear on his car.

AnttiL
14th November 2020, 09:42
Loubet has never done any rallies in France, he didn't go through any of the trophies the talented French drivers come from, completely ignored FFSA and everything they're standing behind (the trophies, Rallye Jeunes etc). This year he suddenly appears with a few FFSA-stickers on the car and "it's clear that FFSA is funding those drives"? Come on... France has better drivers to care about than him. ;) I think there's some big (private) budget behind him, regardless of the stickers that may appear on his car.

For sure private budget as well, but he's in FFSA's program. I don't think he would put those stickers on the car without getting anything in return.

pantealex
14th November 2020, 12:58
France has better drivers to care about than him. ;)

Loubet is 2019 WRC2 Champion...
so trying WRC is natural step

so who are those better/faster French drivers ?
(Bonato, Camilli, Ciamin, Formaux and Rossel have failed to deliver)
ERC/WRC level not any "village event heroes"

tommeke_B
14th November 2020, 15:46
You're right I forgot he was WRC2 champion, even though he had only one finish within two minutes of the quickest R5-car (Wales 1 minute behind the WRC2Pro winner). Quite a joke, these splitted championships in the same category. :) Maybe I'm a bit biased about him, from what I've personally seen I can't believe he'll ever make it further than being a paying privateer. Anyway, my point was that I can't believe FFSA is paying (much) for him, certainly not in the way AnttiL states "FFSA funds his drives".

This year it's a bit sad in France with very little events, so hard to say who's where at the moment. Honestly I don't think there's any future top WRC driver among them right now, although some drivers have more potential than Loubet I think. The Franceschi brothers were looking very promising although Jean-Baptiste's results were a bit off this year. I wouldn't write off Ciamin yet, he's still only 22 years old. For Fourmaux I think he skipped a few steps, and that has backfired for him. Going from a 140hp Fiesta R2Junior in France straight to R5 in WRC events, and having a strange co-driver switch at the same time...

But going way off-topic right here... ;)

Jarek Z
14th November 2020, 16:59
Robert Kubica confirmed in an interview that we was interested in competing in Monza Rally. Unfortunately, it will be impossible, because at the same time he has to be at the Formula 1 Sakhir Grand Prix together with the whole Alfa Romeo Racing Orlen team.
https://cdn.galleries.smcloud.net/t/galleries/gf-4KUa-vKuK-UDZh_formula-1-robert-kubica-alfa-romeo-orlen-kimi-raikkonen-antonio-giovinazzi-reklama-stacja-warszawa-664x442-nocrop.jpg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U7OEdmnBzvM&feature=emb_logo

Jarek Z
14th November 2020, 18:24
Loubet has never done any rallies in France...

France has better drivers to care about than him. ;)

Maybe I'm a bit biased about him, from what I've personally seen I can't believe he'll ever make it further than being a paying privateer.

I have to warn you. You need to be careful with opinions about Loubet. I was even more biased about him than you and have a look at what happened:

I think there is much more tallents which we can be mentioned here. Efren Llarena, Pierre-Louis Loubet, Laurent Pellier, Miko Marczyk, Sindre Furuseth, Callum Devine, Jon Armstrong, Nicolas Ciamin, James Williams, Hugo Margaillan, Yohan Rossel...

Of course he must prove talent and driving skills, therefore some drivers on your list do not qualify ;)

Like who?

For example - Loubet. 4 years in WRC and not a single good result. How can you compare him with Rovanperä, Greensmith or Gryazin?

One year later Loubet won WRC2 and I had to eat my words! :D

wyler
14th November 2020, 20:59
I saw Loubet live with wrc at Alba and impressed me. Sure i can be wrong, but I think he can show something, probably more than Veiby and Greensmith...

dimviii
15th November 2020, 09:49
https://dirtfish.com/rally/wrc/how-monza-rally-is-making-itself-wrc-worthy/

Rally Power
17th November 2020, 09:46
https://dirtfish.com/rally/wrc/how-monza-rally-is-making-itself-wrc-worthy/

Great effort to polish Monza Rally turd…

It just missed to say that the WRC will be decided on a Mickey Mouse rally, run on a highly Covid affected region, while the ERC will have its titles decided on a proper rally (with a remarkable entry list), run on a low Covid rate area. Hats off to Eurosport Events!

Tom K
17th November 2020, 10:39
Recently they have strange attitude. Also idea from Clark: Let's do 4-5 events in NZ and AU and stay there 3 month :rotflmao:

AnttiL
17th November 2020, 11:18
Recently they have strange attitude. Also idea from Clark: Let's do 4-5 events in NZ and AU and stay there 3 month :rotflmao:

And he's seriously suggesting all that is put together for the beginning of 2021, while we're already in November and containers should soon be on ships going to NZ if they want to be there in time...

We know that Colin loves Australia and NZ, he visits many local events usually. He's also often expressed his love for Coffs Harbour based Rally Australia, touting it as the best round of the WRC season.

rallyfiend
17th November 2020, 11:34
He's spent too long at stage ends and not in the real world.

focus206
17th November 2020, 12:19
It just missed to say that the WRC will be decided on a Mickey Mouse rally, run on a highly Covid affected region, while the ERC will have its titles decided on a proper rally (with a remarkable entry list), run on a low Covid rate area. Hats off to Eurosport Events!

This. I don't understand why they didn't try to take advantage of the many empty weeks between one WRC round and another and go for Canarias, or Roma Capitale back then (among others). Even by just sending there the RC1 cars. Instead, they just idle around.

denkimi
17th November 2020, 12:50
I saw Loubet live with wrc at Alba and impressed me. Sure i can be wrong, but I think he can show something, probably more than Veiby and Greensmith...
I saw veiby at ypres last year. His best stage result was 8th, behind local gentleman drivers.

He's not even second class behind the best drivers. He's third class at best, somewhere between the faster gentleman drivers.

I don't see why anyone would want to put him in a wrc car.

Rally Power
17th November 2020, 13:12
This. I don't understand why they didn't try to take advantage of the many empty weeks between one WRC round and another and go for Canarias, or Roma Capitale back then (among others). Even by just sending there the RC1 cars. Instead, they just idle around.

Yep, bringing Canarias to the WRC would certainly be better than having Monza as the series finale, but in face of Latvia’s event rejection one can wonder if there wasn’t a clash between WRC and ERC promoters.

Anyway, the main error was to allow Ypres moving to late November, when it was already clear that the second Covid wave was starting; without that reckless move we would have the WRC finished by now, with all champs decided in seven proper events.

AnttiL
17th November 2020, 13:29
Yep, bringing Canarias to the WRC would certainly be better than having Monza as the series finale, but in face of Latvia’s event rejection one can wonder if there wasn’t a clash between WRC and ERC promoters.

Anyway, the main error was to allow Ypres moving to late November, when it was already clear that the second Covid wave was starting; without that reckless move we would have the WRC finished by now, with all champs decided in seven proper events.

By keeping Ypres in its original date would have meant canceling of Turkey and having Sardegna in its late October slot, which could have also meant cancellation...

It's easy to say afterwards how it should have been done. The WRC calendar is not a simple jigsaw puzzle.

AnttiL
17th November 2020, 13:32
I saw veiby at ypres last year. His best stage result was 8th, behind local gentleman drivers.

He's not even second class behind the best drivers. He's third class at best, somewhere between the faster gentleman drivers.

Veiby has won WRC2 once, it was in Poland 2017. He often makes outrageously fast stage wins but is unable to retain this pace throughout a rally and/or crashes.

One explanation could be that Veiby and Gryazin (who both brought a big budget to their WRC2 programs) had a deal that included a prize drive for the one with more WRC2 points at the end of the season.

Lancia Stratos
17th November 2020, 13:38

I'm sure M-Sport, Hyundai and Toyota would be happy to foot the bills for that one. What a bizarre idea.

Lancia Stratos
17th November 2020, 13:42

It was a little more basic than a clash between promoters.......

Rally Power
17th November 2020, 14:23
It was a little more basic than a clash between promoters.......

…..can’t you explain it?

focus206
17th November 2020, 14:34
It's easy to say afterwards how it should have been done. The WRC calendar is not a simple jigsaw puzzle.

Why does it matter if we say it before or afterwards? We are just users on a forum. It's not like FIA/WRC would pitch ideas from us even if we said it before... but I do remember people wondering why it took so long for WRC to restart, around the Roma Capitale days. And wondering why they didn't try to fill the big empty gap between Sardegna and Ypres. Same thing when Ypres was cancelled, huge gap to Monza but they're just idling and waiting to see if also Monza will get cancelled. There were plenty of people with perplexity over the calendar and the dates, but they were not the ones making decisions...

Rally Power
17th November 2020, 14:35
By keeping Ypres in its original date would have meant canceling of Turkey and having Sardegna in its late October slot, which could have also meant cancellation...

Have you forgotten that Turkey actually moved one week earlier in order to allow Ypres to run on their initially desired date? And how can you be so sure that Sardegna wasn’t possible on a late October slot, while Italy’s cycling Giro finished at the same time?
https://dirtfish.com/rally/ypres-organizer-not-waiting-on-turkey-news-for-wrc-planning/

Btw, as a few others here, I’ve pointed Ypres date issues some time ago, long before any cancellation info:https://www.motorsportforums.com/showthread.php?40411-WRC-News-amp-Rumours-2020&p=1251966&viewfull=1#post1251966

AnttiL
17th November 2020, 15:09
Have you forgotten that Turkey actually moved one week earlier in order to allow Ypres to run on their initially desired date? And how can you be so sure that Sardegna wasn’t possible on a late October slot, while Italy’s cycling Giro finished at the same time?
https://dirtfish.com/rally/ypres-organizer-not-waiting-on-turkey-news-for-wrc-planning/

Btw, as a few others here, I’ve pointed Ypres date issues some time ago, long before any cancellation info:https://www.motorsportforums.com/showthread.php?40411-WRC-News-amp-Rumours-2020&p=1251966&viewfull=1#post1251966

Right, I remembered the Turkey-Ypres clash incorrectly. Possiblty it was then down to the teams complaining that it's too much to do Estonia-Turkey-Ypres with two week gaps, including a rebuild from a rough rally to tarmac spec.

Ypres was moved into a later spot when Rally Japan was cancelled in August. The calendar in this version still could have allowed completion of 7 events until the end of October. Could you have guessed by then that Ypres is more probable to be run in October than Germany?

https://www.autosport.com/wrc/news/151507/belgium-gets-wrc-round-after-rally-japan-axed

Also, they moved Sardegna earlier when Germany was cancelled so they weren't just sitting on their asses.

AnttiL
17th November 2020, 15:12
Why does it matter if we say it before or afterwards? We are just users on a forum. It's not like FIA/WRC would pitch ideas from us even if we said it before... but I do remember people wondering why it took so long for WRC to restart, around the Roma Capitale days. And wondering why they didn't try to fill the big empty gap between Sardegna and Ypres. Same thing when Ypres was cancelled, huge gap to Monza but they're just idling and waiting to see if also Monza will get cancelled. There were plenty of people with perplexity over the calendar and the dates, but they were not the ones making decisions...

What I mean is that you're complaining that FIA does nothing when they're doing the best job that's possible. The reason that WRC didn't react to the better COVID-situation in the summer was that rallies aren't organized quickly, you cannot just call up someone and ask to put up a WRC event next weekend.

You can however point fingers at Hyundai who didn't want to go to Liepaja, otherwise we would have now one more event in the season...having Liepaja take that early August slot probably then blocked off other plans for that time. You can't ask three rallies to host a WRC event for the same weekend hoping that one of them can run it.

AndyRAC
17th November 2020, 15:40

It has been said before; we know it's not easy to organise an event quickly - it's quite different to organising an event on a circuit. However, they've constantly been shown up as being reactive rather than proactive.
And the most damning situation for them is how the ERC/Eurosport Events have handled it - and are handling next year. The WRC will have far more resources to organise events, yet they've fumbled around.

Far too many people are giving them a 'free pass' because of the Covid crisis. Their job - is to run and promote the WRC; they got it wrong during the lockdown, and they haven't got the return much better. Three events since March - three opportunities to sell the sport......all the while rival series have been running events regularly in the same period.

Questions should be asked - but probably won't.

SubaruNorway
17th November 2020, 15:56
Veiby has won WRC2 once, it was in Poland 2017. He often makes outrageously fast stage wins but is unable to retain this pace throughout a rally and/or crashes.

One explanation could be that Veiby and Gryazin (who both brought a big budget to their WRC2 programs) had a deal that included a prize drive for the one with more WRC2 points at the end of the season.

And Sweden 2019 by a couple of minutes to everyone else

Rally Power
17th November 2020, 16:01
Ypres was moved into a later spot when Rally Japan was cancelled in August. The calendar in this version still could have allowed completion of 7 events until the end of October. Could you have guessed by then that Ypres is more probable to be run in October than Germany?

When Ypres decided to take Japan slot, Germany was already in danger: https://dirtfish.com/rally/rally-japan-in-doubt-ypres-could-take-wrc-date/

pantealex
17th November 2020, 16:29
There were some ERC cancellations also 2020
ERC just had better luck with Covid19 than WRC
Right events in right places/times.

2021 will also be easier for ERC because their season is not starting January-February, it has nothing do with good promoter.

wyler
17th November 2020, 16:42

That's why I say Loubet is faster!

wyler
17th November 2020, 16:52
You can't compare 8 event championship to 14 event championship. It's dealing with totally different things in terms of timing, logistic, diplomacy, bureaucracy, politics and so on.

br21
17th November 2020, 19:48
Thinking realistically about Monte happening in January is I'm afraid more stupid than planning to go to Australia/NZ for 3 months...

focus206
17th November 2020, 19:50
What I mean is that you're complaining that FIA does nothing when they're doing the best job that's possible. The reason that WRC didn't react to the better COVID-situation in the summer was that rallies aren't organized quickly, you cannot just call up someone and ask to put up a WRC event next weekend.
I don't agree that they did the best job possible, I think ERC/Eurosport did the best job possible. Organizing rallies isn't easy nor quick, but as you notice I pointed out at big empty gaps in the calendar, not 2 weeks pauses. I'm not suggesting some organizers create a new rally out of nowhere, I'm suggesting WRC could have used exisiting rallies and try to run as many rounds as possible while the infections were low. They could have used ERC rounds, Lausitz rally (that hosted ERT) or other national events, for example. And if that's too big of a burden to have the full WRC field, just send the RC1 cars, as PLuto said there were talks about, but they led to nothing.

You can however point fingers at Hyundai who didn't want to go to Liepaja, otherwise we would have now one more event in the season...having Liepaja take that early August slot probably then blocked off other plans for that time. You can't ask three rallies to host a WRC event for the same weekend hoping that one of them can run it.
Is this actually a reliable info or just some Dirtfish speculations/rumors? In any case, between Roma Capitale and Estonia there was more than one month, enough time to fit two rallies. If Liepaja didn't work out (and it's not like it was cancelled few days before the start), I don't find impossible at all to find a round in whole August...

focus206
17th November 2020, 19:58
It has been said before; we know it's not easy to organise an event quickly - it's quite different to organising an event on a circuit. However, they've constantly been shown up as being reactive rather than proactive.
And the most damning situation for them is how the ERC/Eurosport Events have handled it - and are handling next year. The WRC will have far more resources to organise events, yet they've fumbled around.

Far too many people are giving them a 'free pass' because of the Covid crisis. Their job - is to run and promote the WRC; they got it wrong during the lockdown, and they haven't got the return much better. Three events since March - three opportunities to sell the sport......all the while rival series have been running events regularly in the same period.

Questions should be asked - but probably won't.

Very well said. They seem satisfied with the job they've done this year.

There were some ERC cancellations also 2020
ERC just had better luck with Covid19 than WRC
Right events in right places/times.

2021 will also be easier for ERC because their season is not starting January-February, it has nothing do with good promoter.

I don't see it as luck. Having huge empty gaps between rallies between July and October and having your calendar stretching until December is really not wise. If you really must have rallies this late, a remote place like Canarias is a good idea, for example.
Having the calendar starting in January is what really saved WRC this year, considering they've managed to run only 3 rounds since the first virus wave + maybe 1 rally show. While ERC managed at least 5 rounds.

AnttiL
18th November 2020, 06:13
Is this actually a reliable info or just some Dirtfish speculations/rumors?

Well I already heard it from a reliable source back in the summer, but Dirtfish has later published the same information.

https://dirtfish.com/rally/wrc/wrc-has-to-be-more-mindful-with-calendar-millener/

It has not been confirmed what was the reason to postpone Ypres but it could well be another demand from the teams. If that would be true, we would have two less events due to the teams.

Remember when you criticize FIA, there's also the WRC Promoter and the teams at the negotiation table. It's not as simple as just "let's go to this event".

Very well said. They seem satisfied with the job they've done this year.

Have you noticed that the WRC Promoter doesn't like publishing bad news? Like the shortened itinerary due to bad weather in Sweden 2020, it was just ignored as much as possible.

Lancia Stratos
18th November 2020, 08:42
Well I already heard it from a reliable source back in the summer, but Dirtfish has later published the same information.

Your source was, indeed, reliable.

AnttiL
18th November 2020, 09:22
Thinking realistically about Monte happening in January is I'm afraid more stupid than planning to go to Australia/NZ for 3 months...

Yes, and with a bad situation in Sweden I don't see much hope for that either.

Sadly Northern Finland is also having a worse situation than Southern Finland (one of the best situations in whole EU), otherwise I would have thrown in Arctic Rally as a season opener candidate, while Southern Finland cannot secure a good amount of snow...

pantealex
18th November 2020, 17:10
Yes, and with a bad situation in Sweden I don't see much hope for that either.

Sadly Northern Finland is also having a worse situation than Southern Finland (one of the best situations in whole EU), otherwise I would have thrown in Arctic Rally as a season opener candidate, while Southern Finland cannot secure a good amount of snow...

"Uusimaa" area is where? North? South?

But you are right, people in Rovaniemi don´t believe that Arctic Rally will be driven.

Fast Eddie WRC
19th November 2020, 16:05
Still all systems go for Monza:

https://dirtfish.com/rally/wrc/wrc-promoter-insists-monza-will-go-ahead

br21
19th November 2020, 18:46
If it will be raining during Monza those gravel parts on circuit will be crazy... as it's mostly grass at the moment, you just literally drive through the field...

mknight
19th November 2020, 18:57
Didn't notice Sordo was confirmed. Entirely logical and safe pick...after the slightly less obvious last two (Ypres and Turkey).

Was talking with two people in the area just yesterday. I think Monza will be run in some form. The main concern is if they cancel all the normal stages and WRC gets decided on the circuit ones.

AnttiL
20th November 2020, 09:55
Great that Hyundai is paying Veiby's WRC drive, and they even let Even Management put their stickers on the car! :D

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EnQq04zXYAEilXJ?format=jpg&name=large

rallyfiend
20th November 2020, 10:25
Great that Hyundai is paying Veiby's WRC drive, and they even let Even Management put their stickers on the car! :D

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EnQq04zXYAEilXJ?format=jpg&name=large

Ha ha!

Yes, never seen a 'factory paid ride' with so much driver sponsorship on it.

What a generous car company to allow this!!

T16
20th November 2020, 10:40
Better colour scheme than the works car.

Tom K
20th November 2020, 10:56
Maybe Even paid for i20 R5 and Hyundai ugraded to WRC :) We have Black Friday next week, you never know what kind of sales you get :)

Anyway: Maps of Monza are published. Password protected but I saw them circulating on FB already.

Fast Eddie WRC
20th November 2020, 10:57
M-Sport planned ahead for Monza:

https://dirtfish.com/rally/the-headstart-m-sport-has-for-monza-rally/

Fast Eddie WRC
20th November 2020, 11:14
Nice photoshop work by someone creating that Vieby car 'in action' !

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EnQqyfyWEAAJvYE?format=jpg&name=large

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EnQq4j1XMAEtQbR?format=jpg&name=large

Rally Power
20th November 2020, 17:59

The (long) name says it all: Hyundai Motorsport Customer Racing Junior Driver. Hyundai backs the program but drivers must pay for the seats. https://motorsport.hyundai.com/junior-program-adds-rally/

AnttiL
20th November 2020, 19:41
The (long) name says it all: Hyundai Motorsport Customer Racing Junior Driver. Hyundai backs the program but drivers must pay for the seats. https://motorsport.hyundai.com/junior-program-adds-rally/

Don't you remember how Veiby boasted in a Norwegian interview that Hyundai pays all expenses :D

the sniper
20th November 2020, 21:01
Don't you remember how Veiby boasted in a Norwegian interview that Hyundai pays all expenses :D

They probably get decent rates on hotel rooms and he's entitled to use their catering, so maybe technically true!

Nandhini
21st November 2020, 09:06
You have given useful information about monza rally. Thank you

Tom K
21st November 2020, 09:36
MotoGP star Franco Morbidelli joins line-up with i20 R5 from Hyundai Italia.

EstWRC
21st November 2020, 09:42
maps of the stages https://www.facebook.com/mplservice/posts/224617985753010

Lancia Stratos
21st November 2020, 10:03
https://www.wrc.com/en/news/season-2020/wrc/motogp-race-winner-joins-monza-wrc-entry/

Tom K
21st November 2020, 10:24
Toksport will bring 3x Fabia R5 for Tidemand, Kopecky and GT racing star - Maro Engel. Confirmed by Toksport.

Fast Eddie WRC
21st November 2020, 11:15
ERC Champion Chris Ingram also met Thierry Neuville at the Nurburgring while helping Maro Engel.

Engel: "Thanks ever so much to @chrisingramrally and @ross_whittock for the massive help these past days already in dealing with a rookie learner"

https://i.imgur.com/HZa45IO.jpg

pantealex
21st November 2020, 15:33
When can we expect entry list ?

Is there other classes than WRC, WRC2/3 and JWRC ?
private RC2/3/4/5 or R-GT ?

dimviii
21st November 2020, 16:47
https://twitter.com/Traxx_WiF/status/1330201883596697603

Mirek
21st November 2020, 17:06

If it's wet this will be funny - for us. Less for the crews.

dimviii
21st November 2020, 17:11
yes if they could use 4-5 such this parts would make it much more interesting.

Rally Power
21st November 2020, 17:28

As expected, the road stages may be interesting but the ones in Monza autodrome aren't worthy of a WRC finale.

AnttiL
21st November 2020, 17:44
The Monza area stages will offer lots of surface changes (gravel on tarmac tyres!) and some interesting places, but in the end they are just extended super specials...and four stages (plus super special and shakedown) on the same roads, in different directions and configurations. At best they are like RAC park stages, at worst they are just boring straights-to-chicanes.

Jarek Z
21st November 2020, 18:32

At least it's something new! :)

Jarek Z
21st November 2020, 18:37

Stages 7-12 look great! :)

wyler
22nd November 2020, 10:23
I saw different Monza show and by having actually walked on it, all the bits out of the f1 track could be surprising. the f1 track will be boring. I always watched the show around the high speed ring, and that's was kinda ok... Circuit track could be more like extended rallycross than extended superspecials.

AnttiL
22nd November 2020, 10:31
. Circuit track could be more like extended rallycross than extended superspecials.

Not sure what you mean but none of the Monza sections have a rallycross character (wide track, long bends). However, many elements familiar from super specials such as narrow roads, tight junction turns, surface changes and chicanes.

dimviii
22nd November 2020, 10:56
Since Monte-Carlo, you've had little opportunity to ride the tarmac with the Toyota. How is your feeling with the car on this surface?

We haven't driven on the asphalt at all since January. Last week I was in Finland for days with the press. Usually, I'm not a big fan of it, but there it allowed the team to do some pictures and videos, while for my part, I picked up some sensations with the Yaris on the tar.

Is your feeling with the car already good or do you still have work to do?

These few kilometers, it was only driving and in no case tests. If Monza goes ahead, we will have some practice at the end of the month to prepare it and for sure this little day will be very important as our experience is limited. Honestly, there are still quite a few things we need to try to validate. During the Monte-Carlo, we had performed well during the first two stages. On the last day we had obviously made some small mistakes in the setups as Elfyn and I weren't in the game, which shows that we still have a lot to learn in order to get the most out of it.

What does the cutting proposed by Monza inspire you?

Other than a few pictures from previous editions, we have no idea what it will look like on the track. It’s going to be atypical for sure, but in the times we are going through, it’s better than nothing. I'm not sure what to expect for the 2nd stage. Casually, I think it's important that there be this day with real stages, because if we only play on the circuit, it will be light and it will not be worthy of a world championship.

You are 14 points behind Elfyn Evans. That's a lot and a little at the same time with 30 more units to go. What will your approach be?

We will do our best. There aren't too many questions to ask. It is imperative to win and see if that's enough. So far we have done a good job. There was no real pilot error and our pace has been rapid. We pay dearly for our mechanical worries in Turkey. By giving everything in Italy in December, I will not have any regrets about our season.

Rest assured, you are not the type to resign yourself? Do you still believe it?

Completely! With these 14 points, Elfyn certainly has the advantage, but concluding is not the easiest. This is especially true he has never been in this position. I don't intend to get into psychological warfare, but it's human to feel that pressure especially when it comes to the first title.

What would be the least painful way of not winning this 7th title? Steering wheel in hand at Monza and without regret after giving everything, or a few days before if the rally is finally canceled?

Like everyone else, I think if it stopped now… Even for Elfyn, I'm not sure he could celebrate it. If it falls like that, he'll have to deal with some remarks about whether it's a real title or not. I hope the rally will take place so that the champion can be celebrated.

https://www.autohebdo.fr/wrc/actualites/sebastien-ogier-pas-trop-de-questions-se-poser-214410.html

wyler
22nd November 2020, 10:56
Not sure what you mean but none of the Monza sections have a rallycross character (wide track, long bends). However, many elements familiar from super specials such as narrow roads, tight junction turns, surface changes and chicanes.

yeah, maybe a long shot what I said, time will tell.
It was more about the feeling than technicality of road. You have fast and wide tarmac road, then short grass uphill, then gravel, then wood, then banked concrete superfast section. Lots of mud and dirt in sections (also on tarmac after junction). I can be totally wrong, but I figure we will see also big slides around, mixed with narrow roads, tight junction turns, and chicanes. That variety of surface changes imho will be way different than tarmac-tarmac-concrete sss.

seb_sh
23rd November 2020, 06:49
The Monza stages are not typical WRC stages that's for sure, usually it works well as an end of year party event not part of WRC but given how weird 2020 was, I say bring it on! I've been to Monza a couple times, once walked around in the infield forest roads and around the track and looking at the maps I think they've done all they could to use every last bit of circuit, paddock, car park, service road and forest trail to make the stages varied. As others have said while looking a bit point and shoot then chicane and so one I think it will be much better than typical super specials. The track is asphalt, the car park is muddy, the paddock and service roads are concrete and the forest trails are muddy gravel. On some stages it will alternate between those every 500m or so. And why not throw in a lap of the circuit :D I think it will be challenging and fun and as I've said: a weird event to end a weird year.

AnttiL
23rd November 2020, 06:56
And we must remember the cars are on tarmac tyres and suspension. It's not always so easy to get the car sliding enough (remember 2018 Germany SSS) and the gravel/grass/mud sections will be interesting...

Tom K
23rd November 2020, 09:34
Gronholm in Monza... but, yeah, Niclas;) Probably with Fabia R5 from MRC Sport.

Fast Eddie WRC
23rd November 2020, 13:05
Gronholm in Monza... but, yeah, Niclas;) Probably with Fabia R5 from MRC Sport.

Probably due to this...

https://dirtfish.com/rallycross/world-rx/world-rxs-nurburgring-finale-canceled

Tom K
23rd November 2020, 13:48
+ Munster and McErlean in i20 R5. Maybe we will have another Hyundai festival, like during Rally di Alba (5x WRC, 16 x R5)

wyler
23rd November 2020, 15:31
no public confirmed. also 6 stage live tv on national broadast

pantealex
23rd November 2020, 15:44
Gronholm in Monza... but, yeah, Niclas;) Probably with Fabia RC2 from MRC Sport.

WRX driver, confirmed
DTM driver, confirmed (Thomas Enge with Toksport Fabia) edit. Maro Engel it is.
MotoGP race winner, confirmed (Morbidelli with Hyundai R5)

those names will bring new followers for WRC Monza which is good thing!

Mirek
23rd November 2020, 16:40
WRX driver, confirmed
DTM driver, confirmed (Thomas Enge with Toksport Fabia)
MotoGP race winner, confirmed (Morbidelli with Hyundai R5)

those names will bring new followers for WRC Monza which is good thing!

You mixed Tomáš Enge with Maro Engel ;)

pantealex
23rd November 2020, 21:39
You mixed Tomáš Enge with Maro Engel ;)

I hope both are AMG drivers :)

I know that Ilka Minor is co-driving

Mirek
23rd November 2020, 21:59
I hope both are AMG drivers :)

Actually yes, both are, just in different teams and championships :D

I know that Ilka Minor is co-driving

Tomáš would have his sister as co-driver ;)

dimviii
24th November 2020, 07:41
Currently, there is no regulation to allow a fourth tire option in Monza, but Remy wants to be prepared for the worst.

“We have explained to the FIA the concerns the teams have about the Saturday stages [north of Bergamo],” Remy told DirtFish.

“With that in mind, we will take snow tires with us to the event. These will be the snow tires without studs. Maybe they go from [Michelin’s factory in] Clermont-Ferrand to Monza and back to Clermont-Ferrand without coming out of the truck.

https://dirtfish.com/rally/wrc/michelin-to-take-snow-tires-to-wrc-finale-as-back-up/

wyler
24th November 2020, 08:35
Currently, there is no regulation to allow a fourth tire option in Monza, but Remy wants to be prepared for the worst.

“We have explained to the FIA the concerns the teams have about the Saturday stages [north of Bergamo],” Remy told DirtFish.

“With that in mind, we will take snow tires with us to the event. These will be the snow tires without studs. Maybe they go from [Michelin’s factory in] Clermont-Ferrand to Monza and back to Clermont-Ferrand without coming out of the truck.

https://dirtfish.com/rally/wrc/michelin-to-take-snow-tires-to-wrc-finale-as-back-up/

good move, morning here are becoming frosty, probably there will be no snow, but ice is very much a possibility.

wyler
24th November 2020, 08:51

Pierre Ragues - Julien Pesenti with this Alpine A110 RGT at Monza

dimviii
24th November 2020, 09:57
Stéphane Lefebvre is back in the world and will be at the start of Monza in a C3R5 from the Dmax Racing team! Stéphane will be sailed by his compatriot Thomas Dubois.

Lefevbre has a good experience in the WRC world championship, having competed in 42 world championship events. His best result was a 5th place overall, won at Monte-Carlo 2016 while still driving a Citroën, more precisely a DS3 WRC, alongside Moreau Gabin.

http://www.rallye-infos.site/stephane-lefebvre-au-depart-de-monza/

Fast Eddie WRC
24th November 2020, 10:56
Ice maybe snow would be very interesting. Monza seems to getting more of a good test all the time.

Fast Eddie WRC
24th November 2020, 12:05
Dirtfish
https://dirtfish.com/rally/wrc/podcast-how-a-one-time-rally-winner-became-wrc-title-favorite

"There’s also some talk that Monza may not be going ahead…"

rallyfiend
24th November 2020, 12:28
If Colin Clark is involved, it's bound to be ill-informed.....

Tom206wrc
24th November 2020, 16:24
Dirtfish
https://dirtfish.com/rally/wrc/podcast-how-a-one-time-rally-winner-became-wrc-title-favorite

"There’s also some talk that Monza may not be going ahead…"

Strange thing is that there's no entrylist published yet(unlike other WRC events with entry available weeks before the rally) :confused:

br21
24th November 2020, 16:26
Today is deadline for entries, entry list will be published tomorrow.

Tom206wrc
24th November 2020, 16:52
OK then, thanks ;)

Mirek
24th November 2020, 17:58
good move, morning here are becoming frosty, probably there will be no snow, but ice is very much a possibility.

The problem with the snow tyres without studs is that they don't work very well without them. The reason is that to keep the studs they can not be so soft as proper non-studded winter tyres should be. Sure the development made a lot of improvements but here in Prague in 2011 when similar situation happened, common stock winter tyres were way faster than WRC snow tyres without studs.

satnav
24th November 2020, 21:45
Here is a link to the official site and the 1st bulletin that has the dates for entries close and entry list published.

https://www.acirallymonza.com/albo-ufficiale/

dimviii
25th November 2020, 08:15
WRC - Skip the return to real rallies for Rossi. No ACI Rally Monza for him

No Brianza race for the "doctor", who will participate in the 12 hours of the gulf at the beginning of January
https://translate.google.com/translate?sl=auto&tl=en&u=https://www.rallyssimo.it/2020/11/24/wrc-salta-il-ritorno-nei-rally-veri-per-rossi-niente-aci-rally-monza-per-lui/

dimviii
25th November 2020, 08:55
Adamo denies pushing for Monza cancellation

No Monza would guarantee Hyundai the manufacturers' title, but its team principal denies that's how he wants it

https://dirtfish.com/rally/adamo-denies-pushing-for-monza-cancellation/

EstWRC
25th November 2020, 09:03
Colin and David Evans are really bored it seems....

AnttiL
25th November 2020, 14:54
yr.no long term forecasts show until next Friday and there's snow predicted for Thursday morning for the Saturday stages

https://www.yr.no/place/Italy/Lombardy/Gerosa/long.html
https://www.yr.no/place/Italy/Lombardy/Selvino/long.html
https://www.yr.no/place/Italy/Lombardy/Costa_Valle_Imagna/long.html

Lancia Stratos
25th November 2020, 15:13
Today is deadline for entries, entry list will be published tomorrow.

It will be tomorrow - Thursday.

pantealex
25th November 2020, 15:30
Adamo denies pushing for Monza cancellation

No Monza would guarantee Hyundai the manufacturers' title, but its team principal denies that's how he wants it

Last year Hyundai got it with cancellation of last rally...

pantealex
25th November 2020, 15:38
Eurosol Racing Team - Fabia Rally2 EVO
with
Andreas Mikkelsen
and
Emil Lindholm

Rally2(R5) field will be very good

Tom206wrc
25th November 2020, 17:05
It will be tomorrow - Thursday.

I was hoping today wednesday :mark:

wyler
25th November 2020, 17:26
Tony Cairoli (the one from motox) rumored to drive hiunday wrc in Monza

Rallyper
26th November 2020, 08:46
Have anyone seen the entrylist for Monza?? I haven´t. Is it just me?

AnttiL
26th November 2020, 08:47
Have anyone seen the entrylist for Monza?? I haven´t. Is it just me?

It's coming out today.

Rallyper
26th November 2020, 08:54
It's coming out today.

That´s late. Need it for 2020 last Pickems... ;)

Tom206wrc
26th November 2020, 10:07
Yes it's not normal for a WRC event to get entrylist so late :s

Andre Oliveira
26th November 2020, 11:40
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Env976fXcAAWYoM?format=jpg&name=large
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Env976fWMAI7tSd?format=jpg&name=large
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Env976gWMAARGmp?format=jpg&name=large

dimviii
26th November 2020, 11:48
54 r 5 cars.Must be a record!

EstWRC
26th November 2020, 11:49
R5 for main class is a must now!!!

MartijnS
26th November 2020, 12:01
Abbring, Nice!

Fast Eddie WRC
26th November 2020, 12:37
No stars from other disiplines were attracted after all.

Rallyper
26th November 2020, 13:06
Pickems updated with 21 drivers from Entry list. Welcome to make your Pickems...

Jarek Z
26th November 2020, 13:24

I heard that Franco Morbidelli (#66) is a star of MotoGP racing:
https://img.antaranews.com/cache/800x533/2020/10/17/morbidelli-le-mans.jpg

Jarek Z
26th November 2020, 13:24
Abbring, Nice!

Long time no see! ;)

Jarek Z
26th November 2020, 13:28

Yeah, it doesn't look like a rally that is organized during pandemic and economic crisis :)

Lead
26th November 2020, 13:28
Thats have to be one of the stronget R5 entry list I have seen.

Rally Power
26th November 2020, 14:03

Not for Monza; 59 R5's in 2019 Rally Show and 64 in 2018.
https://www.ewrc-results.com/entries/54976-monza-rally-show-2018/

Mirek
26th November 2020, 14:37

Vice-champion of MotoGP 2020 and GT World Challenge Europe vice champion 2019 are not stars?

AnttiL
26th November 2020, 14:38
And there's Niclas Grönholm from WRX

rallyfiend
26th November 2020, 15:38

Really?!

For sure the clash of F1 has hurt, but c'mon son....

Who did you expect?

Mel Gibson?

Justin Bieber?

Rally Power
26th November 2020, 15:55
Even if there are some top names from other motorsport series, it's very disappointing not having Rossi or Kubica on the entry list. Btw, Gronholm was already there last year.

TypeR
26th November 2020, 16:19
Kubica couldn't make it, 'cause he has to be in Bahrain F1..

Jarek Z
26th November 2020, 16:23
Even if there are some top names from other motorsport series, it's very disappointing not having Rossi or Kubica on the entry list. Btw, Gronholm was already there last year.

It's not disappointing. Kubica said it clearly he can't be in Italy at that time.
How can you be disappointed with nearly 100 crews and over 50 R5 cars in such difficult times?

mknight
26th November 2020, 16:34
I am also a bit disappointed tbh.
- no extra WRC appart from Veiby
- missing Loubet and Breen in R5s

TheFlyingTuga
26th November 2020, 16:34
Some guys just have to have different opinions that's all. Great entry list and I hope it to be a great event. Although not to prone to crashes and mechanical problems, having a close battle for the title will be great

pantealex
26th November 2020, 16:52
Well entry list is very good
but
All those "stars" who were driving Monza 2018/2019 with WRC are "chickening"

so for me WRC is just normal (11 cars)

WRC2 only 4
WRC3 only 13
JWRC only 6 (Rally Sweden had 16)

so it´s not that great

R-GT entries are big +
Privateers with Rally2/R5 also +

Rally Power
26th November 2020, 16:54
Some guys just have to have different opinions that's all.

Nope, this isn't about having different opinions but rather to state the obvious. Monza has always provide great entry lists as a rally show and no one can denny that Rossi or Kubica would bring more viewers from other motorsport series.

tc10a
26th November 2020, 17:45
Nope, this isn't about having different opinions but rather to state the obvious. Monza has always provide great entry lists as a rally show and no one can denny that Rossi or Kubica would bring more viewers from other motorsport series.

As you said as a "rally show". Now with the proper stages on Saturday and the quite different stages also on the monza racetrack area it has not much to do with the old "show" event. Only the "Grand Prix" stage can be compared to previous years. It's a proper rally now.

TheFlyingTuga
26th November 2020, 19:06
Nope, this isn't about having different opinions but rather to state the obvious. Monza has always provided great entry lists as a rally show and no one can deny that Rossi or Kubica would bring more viewers from other motorsport series.

For what? Mainstream media attention? Rossi has not the star power he once had (some of my friends didn't even know that he was still in MotoGP) and Kubica, although I think it would be fast, it would cost money to the team. Don't forget that his car must be adapted and take in mind that he didn't bring more audiences or anything to DTM this year. If you want mainstream media attention, you either bring a footballer (and a big name) or a movie star (Patrick Dempsey or Fassbender comes to my mind as they like racing).
I would rather see this as an opportunity for WRC Teams to test new guns like Solberg Jr. or Huttunen in a WRC car.

Rally Power
26th November 2020, 21:50
As you said as a "rally show". Now with the proper stages on Saturday and the quite different stages also on the monza racetrack area it has not much to do with the old "show" event. Only the "Grand Prix" stage can be compared to previous years. It's a proper rally now.

Sorry mate, even with all the changes there's no way it can be seen as a proper WRC rally (69% of the stages, coresponding to 52% of the kms, are run on/around a racing circuit).

Don't take me wrong, ACI efforts to provide an alternative season finale on such a difficult time must be praised, but we can't forget that Monza is in the series mainly because the FIA and the promoter ruined the chances of running seven proper WRC rallys in due time.

wyler
26th November 2020, 22:47
Sorry mate, even with all the changes there's no way it can be seen as a proper WRC rally (69% of the stages, coresponding to 52% of the kms, are run on/around a racing circuit).

Don't take me wrong, ACI efforts to provide an alternative season finale on such a difficult time must be praised, but we can't forget that Monza is in the series mainly because the FIA and the promoter ruined the chances of running seven proper WRC rallys in due time.

But changed enough to not have "guest" playing around, cause outside track will be difficult and risky. Definitely not a show anymore. (for sure even not a proper rally, but closer)

1988senna
26th November 2020, 23:32
Guys. when we can get the 16 stages track map. I'm very interested to see what is the new circuit look like

focus206
27th November 2020, 11:27

ACI must be praised indeed, they seem to put a lot of effort to make this happen. I think it's alright to have Monza in the calendar being the year that it is, it's just very disappointing that it's round 7 of 7 of a world rally championship... added with the fact that Evans just needs to cruise to win the title, I really can't feel the excitement for this.

EstWRC
27th November 2020, 11:32
i dont know why, but with each day the rally coming to closer and closer....

the more i have a feeling that Ogier will snatch the title, i dont wish or want it but i just have this feeling.

we will see in a week if my feeling was right or wrong.

Rally Power
27th November 2020, 12:42
But changed enough to not have "guest" playing around, cause outside track will be difficult and risky. Definitely not a show anymore. (for sure even not a proper rally, but closer)

Yep, no doubt it evolved from a show into a mix circuit/road event. Some national events have run like that in the past but it's a first for the WRC and, like it was already pointed, that's Monza main problem: the risk of circuit based events to become the new normal in the WRC, even after the pandemic.

Jarek Z
27th November 2020, 12:55
Kajto was trying to adapt to this new type of "circuit rallying" during his pre-event tests:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gti9sXj4n6I

Mirek
27th November 2020, 14:09
30 of 95 entries are Fabia R5, lol.

wyler
27th November 2020, 14:43
Yep, no doubt it evolved from a show into a mix circuit/road event.

yep. just saying that's the reason why the occasional VIP driver didn't show up.

Myrvold
27th November 2020, 15:17
- missing Loubet and Breen in R5s

Really disappointed in not having Loubet here.

SubaruNorway
27th November 2020, 21:55
I wonder what these confidential rules in WRC2 are...
https://parcferme.no/rally/eyvind-settes-pa-sidelinjen-pa-monza-mads-mener-flere-team-bryter-reglene/?fbclid=IwAR3IjTzBrxVIVz_Ra72FCvWj02Is19Hjbc1lzNP8 yEALtYXQDpWHW-QFqWM

Rally Power
27th November 2020, 22:30
I wonder what these confidential rules in WRC2 are...
https://parcferme.no/rally/eyvind-settes-pa-sidelinjen-pa-monza-mads-mener-flere-team-bryter-reglene/?fbclid=IwAR3IjTzBrxVIVz_Ra72FCvWj02Is19Hjbc1lzNP8 yEALtYXQDpWHW-QFqWM

Probably, another change on article 6.6.2.
https://dirtfish.com/rally/wrc/citroen-and-wrc2-rivals-in-dispute-over-scoring-rules/

dimviii
28th November 2020, 08:14
Guys. when we can get the 16 stages track map. I'm very interested to see what is the new circuit look like

http://planetemarcus.com/saison-wrc/wrc-rally-monza-2020/

dimviii
28th November 2020, 08:28
Abbring

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/En1lbUYXYAArOlc?format=jpg&name=medium

pantealex
28th November 2020, 11:09
quite funny that "WRC3" sticker when he isn´t entered...

SubaruNorway
28th November 2020, 11:17
Probably, another change on article 6.6.2.
https://dirtfish.com/rally/wrc/citroen-and-wrc2-rivals-in-dispute-over-scoring-rules/

Weird changing the rules before the last event and drivers are told not to mention what it is, smells fishy.
Seems like It's changed to the 4 best events counting now

pantealex
28th November 2020, 11:29
Weird changing the rules before the last event and drivers are told not to mention what it is, smells fishy.

Rule was "changed" before Ypres...
Was it last event ?

Did you notice this from Monza entrylist:
*) Nos. 20, 22, 23: Only eligible to score points in the FIA WRC2 Championships for Drivers and for Co-Drivers
(all other WRC2 drivers than Østberg)

SubaruNorway
28th November 2020, 11:42
Was it last event ?

*) Nos. 20, 22, 23: Only eligible to score points in the FIA WRC2 Championships for Drivers and for Co-Drivers

This is something that happened after the Dirt Fish article.
So they were allowed to enter but not really...

Rally Power
28th November 2020, 12:25
Was it last event ?

Good point. So, Toksport and MSport can’t get points but their drivers can. It sounds weird.

1988senna
29th November 2020, 01:51

who can tell me which is which stage on the same map

Tauri_J
29th November 2020, 05:36
These conditions during rally weekend would be pure lottery. :eek:

https://i.postimg.cc/0bW9BV2b/Screenshot-2020-11-29-00-03-20-139-com-android-chrome.png (https://postimg.cc/0bW9BV2b) https://i.postimg.cc/14Kmp9k0/Screenshot-2020-11-29-00-05-21-870-com-android-chrome.png (https://postimg.cc/14Kmp9k0)

https://i.postimg.cc/WtVpFDHb/Screenshot-2020-11-29-00-05-40-899-com-android-chrome.png (https://postimg.cc/WtVpFDHb) https://i.postimg.cc/BXQqpr3r/Screenshot-2020-11-29-00-05-59-878-com-android-chrome.png (https://postimg.cc/BXQqpr3r)

mknight
29th November 2020, 07:57
Nice readable maps here:

https://motorsport.hyundai.com/events/rally-monza/

AnttiL
29th November 2020, 08:12
Route preview https://itgetsfasternow.com/2020/11/29/route-preview-monza-rally-2020/

EDIT: One thing that is worth mentioning: the Saturday stages are super fast.

dimviii
29th November 2020, 08:13
Gronholm livery

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/En-jxnlW8AA5np_?format=jpg&name=medium

Rallyper
29th November 2020, 09:39
Don´t forget Pickems, mates. It´s up and running until Thursday 1200 CET.