PDA

View Full Version : 2020 Eifel Grand Prix [Germany] - Nurburgring

Nitrodaze
4th October 2020, 09:18
https://www.motorbeam.com/wp-content/uploads/Nurburgring.jpg

Nicknamed "The Green Hell" by Jackie Stewart

https://www.dw.com/image/16934482_101.jpg

Sebastien Vettel was the last driver to win this race in 2013; in the Redbull, with Hamilton setting pole for Petronas-Mercedes at 1.29.398. You can see that pole setting lap here (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gLOj_nkbV3M).

Michael Schumacher holds the race lap record since 2004 at 1.29.468. Incidentally, that was Vettel's first German GP win. Mark Webber also won his first F1 race at this track l recall.

Only the following drivers have Nurburgring track knowledge:-

Sebastien Vettel
Lewis Hamilton
Kimi Raikonen
Valterie Bottas
Romain Grosjean
Sergio Perez
Daniel Ricciado

https://www.formule1.nl/app/uploads/2015/12/nurburgring-1500x998.jpg

Tazio
4th October 2020, 21:51
Nicknamed "The Green Hell" by Jackie Stewart
:idea: Jackie gave that name to the old Nordschleife, a different course than the current iteration of the Nurburgring!

Sorrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr rrrrrrrrrrrrry :dork: :sailor:

Nitrodaze
5th October 2020, 05:52
:idea: Jackie gave that name to the old Nordschleife, a different course than the current iteration of the Nurburgring!

Sorrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr rrrrrrrrrrrrry :dork: :sailor:

Good detail information. Please say more. ????

Tazio
5th October 2020, 12:36
:rolleyes::rolleyes::smurf::dog:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A0Fxk7CDSmM (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A0Fxk7CDSmM)
:stareup: :dork: :stareup: :sailor:

Tazio
5th October 2020, 13:21
It's been 7 years since F1 raced at the Nurburgring, and to think this race was replaced on the calender(for all intents and purposes) with Sochi! :confused:

Nitrodaze
5th October 2020, 23:07
It's been 7 years since F1 raced at the Nurburgring, and to think this race was replaced on the calender(for all intents and purposes) with Sochi! :confused:

The original Nurburgring consisted of four configurations, namely :-
1. Gesamtstrecke ("Whole Course") which was roughly 28km long
2. Nordschleife ("North Loop") which was roughly 22km long.
3. Südschleife ("South Loop") which was roughly 7.7km long
4. Zielschleife ("Finish Loop") roughly 2.3km long

https://d39a3h63xew422.cloudfront.net/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/20084431/wsga-nurburgring-1476934882858-1000x707.jpg

The Nordschleife [nicknamed "The Green Hell"] was mainly used for the F1 German Grand prix after the second world war until the near fatal crash of Niki Lauda that forced a rethink. F1 drivers boycotted the Nordschleife on two occassioins; in 1970 and in a Lauda led revolt in 1976. As they felt this particular configuration was too danagerous.

https://i2-prod.mirror.co.uk/incoming/article16175438.ece/ALTERNATES/s1200c/1_Crash-of-World-Champion-Niki-Lauda-1976.jpg

The new much shorter 5.1km Eifel track layout [also called GP Strecke] was built in 1984 to meet F1 safety standards. The current layout is as shown in the opening post.

https://3.bp.blogspot.com/-pe8083dKiWc/TiWVZwgT6SI/AAAAAAAADlA/B8Nrex0paQE/s1600/2.jpg

Michael Schumacher [who won this race five times] is one of the few drivers in F1 history to drive through a part of a track named after him [the Schumacher S]. The only drivers from the current grid to have won a race in the Eifel configuration includes Vettel [2013] and Hamilton [2011].

The Nurburgring Nordschleife is one of those old school tracks that clearly separate the drivers of old from the post Niki Lauda, Jackie Stewart era. This is the sort of track that give us reason to call those old school drivers gladiators.

The Nordschleife demanded the very best in concentration, awareness and driving skill like no other track in modern day racing. Drivers went into this race knowing that with a twist of events, conditions or momentary lapse of concentration at particular points in the lap [marked with triangles in the map above], they could pay the ultimate price.

gm99
10th October 2020, 12:53
Nico Hülkenberg will be racing in his home Grand Prix; this time replacing Racing Point's Lance Stroll who is feeling unwell.

Nitrodaze
10th October 2020, 13:12
The Hulk is back

Bagwan
10th October 2020, 15:16
The Hulk is at the back .

Tazio
10th October 2020, 22:04
:angel: :dork: :laugh:

Nitrodaze
11th October 2020, 08:25
I think we are probably set for another quirky race. Potentially full of twists and turns. This is one race where l feel anyone could win it. But l am happy to see Verstapenn is right up there with the Mercedes on pace. And he could be a factor in how this race turns out. If the two Mercedes start squabbling with each other, he may sneak into the lead and steal this race.

The Redbull strategist would be working her magic as she seeks ways to disrupt the slightly shaken Mercedes. This is going to be a cracking race!

truefan72
11th October 2020, 13:05
Wtf is wrong with Albon’s car?
Seems a bit fishy to me. Hmm

gm99
11th October 2020, 13:15
Wtf is wrong with Albon’s car?
Seems a bit fishy to me. Hmm

Seemed to me like the problem was firmly placed between the steering wheel and the airbox.

truefan72
11th October 2020, 13:39
This Safety car is a joke. A complete farce. All that was needed was a virtual SC at best. Once again this seems to be designed to slow Hamilton down and introduce an artificial fight.
Complete bullocks. The car was moved out with less time and effort than the Russell incident. Disgusting

Tazio
11th October 2020, 13:45
:sailor: We're in for a cracking finish :dork:

truefan72
11th October 2020, 13:58
Come on Ricciardo! 2 laps to go

gm99
11th October 2020, 14:08
It's quite telling that Vettel isn't even able to score in a point in a high-attrition race like this one and even ends up behind super-sub Hulk and two Ferrari customer cars.
Delighted to see Ricciardo back on the podium!

truefan72
11th October 2020, 14:29
It's quite telling that Vettel isn't even able to score in a point in a high-attrition race like this one and even ends up behind super-sub Hulk and two Ferrari customer cars.
Delighted to see Ricciardo back on the podium!
Yeah, Seb can’t wait to leave Ferrari fast enough.
Awesome p3 for Ricciardo. Great p8,9,10 for hulkenberg grosjean and giovinazzi.
That radio call by Renault was great!
As was the mick Schumacher moment with the helmet.

Nitrodaze
11th October 2020, 14:31
Very unlucky for Bottas. A Bottas win seemed on the cards before the engine packed up. He is still second in the driver's championship, but Verstapenn is closing in. How about the incredible Hulk then. From 22nd at the start to 8th. What a great drive?

The fight for 3rd in the constructors is getting closer and much tougher as Racing Point sneaks into third ahead of Mclaren and Renault makes strides to close up to the main contenders for 3rd. The fight of the season seem to rest here. Which team is going to end up in third at the end of the season?

It is great to see Ricciado on the podium again. He was so happy. Great for Renault too as they show they have a fast engine.

Nitrodaze
11th October 2020, 14:48
CONGRATULATIONS TO LEWIS HAMILTON SIX TIMES F1 DRIVERS WORLD CHAMPION
ON MATCHING THE RED BARON MICHAEL SCHUMACHER IN HAVING WON 91 RACES.

What an achivement? Schumacher set such a tall bar that seemed almost impossible to reach. And l am so lucky to see it matched in my lifetime. More so, l am so fortunate to have seen two extraordinary multiple champions who were by any measure the best we have seen before them. To see them from their formative years leading up to F1 where from the start of their F1 careers, ignited the sport with electrifying performances. All of this happening in our life time.

What a blessing and a gift to us all.

gm99
11th October 2020, 14:49
As was the mick Schumacher moment with the helmet.

Yes, that was a great moment and Lewis seemed truly touched by it!

Nitrodaze
11th October 2020, 15:25
Hamilton may have matched Schmacher in race wins, Michael Schumacher remains the greatest F1 driver of the modern era until his seven titles is matched or surpassed.

This ocassion would of course raise the debate of who is the greatest driver of all time. I have even seen youtube podcast that claims Hamilton is not the greatest driver of all time. I have even seen statements that claim Schumacher is not the greatest of all time.

How l see it is that, there are greatest drivers for each of the various eras of F1, but none that could be called the greatest of all time. As that would be very difficult to quantify. But what can be quantified without a doubt, is who is the most successfull driver of all time. There are lots of factors that go into this quantification. From the total number of wins, number of poles, number of titles won, number of teams that the candidate has won championships for, to how much earnings the candidate has been able to amass throughout their career. And the list goes on....

Even that, is not a trivial quantification. There are a number of factors that are not equivalent for each generation of drivers, for instance, the number of races in a season. The fact that F1 is also a technology competition, means that, one team always dominates one or more seasons with each major changes to the regulations.

The most successfull drivers always stand out like a sore thumb. They always end up in the best car; as it would be crazy for any team with the best car to have the second best driver in their car. They want the very best driver in their car to ensure their domination of the era.

They are also always the man to beat every race weekend. Hence, are essentially the benchmark for their era of racing. Accomplishing such a status is not trivial. Just ask Verstapenn who must endure being in the shadow of Hamilton. Or Bottas who has the same machinery but finds he must dig deeper every race weekend but still by some reason falls short of beating Hamilton, even when it all seems a perfect weekend of preparation.

It takes incredible mental and physical work to excell at such a level consistently throughout a very long season. Something that would be quite alien to the old school drivers, whom only endured up to eight races per season in their time. The quality of drivers nowadays is so high, and the difference is small but large enough to make a world of difference in the very fast hybrid cars that is raced today.

To be the best is not only in the superiority of the car, but in the skill, the discipline, the ability to focus intently on the job even when it is all going wrong, the ability to process multiple information simultaneously under pressure and the ability to learn quickly.

It is easy to take these things for granted while seating in our armchairs watching the action. But what unfolds before our eyes, is a display of very special talents plying their trade.

The Black Knight
11th October 2020, 17:27
I feel somewhat conflicted at Hamilton matching Schumachers record. On the one hand, it hit home was upsetting the great man couldn’t be there himself to present Hamilton with his Helmet in that great gesture from the Schumacher family. On the other hand, I miss Michael at the races and it just hit home again how unfair life can be with his accident.

I don’t think Hamilton is on Schumacher’s level personally, some of the things Schumacher did with the Ferrari especially in the 96-00 era were just amazing. But there’s no doubt that they are both great drivers.

Congratulations to Lewis but Schumacher is still the GOAT imo.

truefan72
11th October 2020, 19:15
Very unlucky for Bottas. A Bottas win seemed on the cards before the engine packed up. He is still second in the driver's championship, but Verstapenn is closing in. How about the incredible Hulk then. From 22nd at the start to 8th. What a great drive?

The fight for 3rd in the constructors is getting closer and much tougher as Racing Point sneaks into third ahead of Mclaren and Renault makes strides to close up to the main contenders for 3rd. The fight of the season seem to rest here. Which team is going to end up in third at the end of the season?

It is great to see Ricciado on the podium again. He was so happy. Great for Renault too as they show they have a fast engine.
Well the win was gone when he couldn’t manage his tires as well as Hamilton, locked up, flat spotted and lost the lead. Was going to lose p2 and was forced to pit early which put him in traffic etc. At best he was going to finish p2...maybe

truefan72
11th October 2020, 19:16
CONGRATULATIONS TO LEWIS HAMILTON SIX TIMES F1 DRIVERS WORLD CHAMPION
ON MATCHING THE RED BARON MICHAEL SCHUMACHER IN HAVING WON 91 RACES.

What an achivement? Schumacher set such a tall bar that seemed almost impossible to reach. And l am so lucky to see it matched in my lifetime. More so, l am so fortunate to have seen two extraordinary multiple champions who were by any measure the best we have seen before them. To see them from their formative years leading up to F1 where from the start of their F1 careers, ignited the sport with electrifying performances. All of this happening in our life time.

What a blessing and a gift to us all.

Well said

N. Jones
11th October 2020, 22:14
This Safety car is a joke. A complete farce. All that was needed was a virtual SC at best. Once again this seems to be designed to slow Hamilton down and introduce an artificial fight.
Complete bullocks. The car was moved out with less time and effort than the Russell incident. Disgusting

Did they retire his car because of bad he was driving?

The Black Knight
12th October 2020, 04:16
Did they retire his car because of bad he was driving?

No, his engine gave in and a small but of it went on fire. Agree re the safety car, there was no other logical reason to have one. Norris car was completely out of the way, a VSC would have been a completely acceptable call. The only logical reason to bring out the safety car was to bunch the pack up.

Nitrodaze
12th October 2020, 06:48
Well the win was gone when he couldn’t manage his tires as well as Hamilton, locked up, flat spotted and lost the lead. Was going to lose p2 and was forced to pit early which put him in traffic etc. At best he was going to finish p2...maybe

I thought he might have recovered from that setback given the chance which the engine problem did not incidentally. Bottas had the pace to take the fight squarely to Hamilton. He had very clear faster pace than Hamilton at this race to suggest that he might have found a way back pass Hamilton to win the race.

That said, his tyre management also suggest that he most likely may have finished P2 at best.

Nitrodaze
12th October 2020, 07:03
As a Brit, l am immensely proud of what Hamilton has acheived this weekend. It has set such a high standard for future British drivers, as he has taken all previoius british records to completely new heights.

It is a shame that the British media do not celebrate him as they should. it is all very lukewarm in the face of a long list of historic acheivements. We acknowledge greatness when we see it, because it is.

The Black Knight
12th October 2020, 09:45
I thought he might have recovered from that setback given the chance which the engine problem did not incidentally. Bottas had the pace to take the fight squarely to Hamilton. He had very clear faster pace than Hamilton at this race to suggest that he might have found a way back pass Hamilton to win the race.

That said, his tyre management also suggest that he most likely may have finished P2 at best.

No he didn’t. Hamilton was playing with him throughout the first stint. He let the gap build but when he saw Bottas tires begin to grain he began to push and pressured Bottas into a mistake. There was nothing about Bottas pace today that lead me to believe he was faster.

N. Jones
12th October 2020, 13:52

He has the pace in the car but not the... pace in himself, if you understand what I mean. I don't think he has it in him to take the fight to Hamilton or to recover from adversity. Yes, he does show flashes but that's all - flashes. He is never consistent.

truefan72
12th October 2020, 14:50
As a Brit, l am immensely proud of what Hamilton has acheived this weekend. It has set such a high standard for future British drivers, as he has taken all previoius british records to completely new heights.

It is a shame that the British media do not celebrate him as they should. it is all very lukewarm in the face of a long list of historic achievements. We acknowledge greatness when we see it, because it is.

Yeah.
At least sky F1 had a nice tribute video ready for him.
But to an extent it was the same for MSC at the time, although for different reasons, while he was racking up the records.
Its only after some time and with the opportunity of reflection that most will gain an adjusted perspective of the monumental career he has/had.
Mainly because it will take a long time for the next record breaker to achieve, in all likelihood over 100 wins, over 100 poles, 7 (and possibly 8) WDC's, 160+ podiums, GP win in every year of career, etc.
The guy (or gal) who might take those records is probably not even an adult yet, and it will take a long time to surpass those figures.
I honestly thought I would never see MSC's records fall.
I'm happy to have witnessed both of their careers in their entirety, along with Prost and Senna's and the latter half of Lauda's
I got into F1 as a young kid when I was enamored by the spectacle that came on, on ORF1 in austria with their legendary announcer Heinz Prüller

Nitrodaze
12th October 2020, 17:19
Yeah.
At last sky F1 had a nice tribute video ready for him.
But to an extent it was the same for MSC at the time, although for different reasons, while he was racking up the records.
Its only after some time and with the opportunity of reflection that most will gain an adjusted perspective of the monumental career he has/had.
Mainly because it will take a long time for the next record breaker to achieve, in all likelihood over 100 wins, over 100 poles, 7 (and possibly 8) WDC's, 160+ podiums, GP win in every year of career, etc.
The guy (or gal) who might take those records is probably not even an adult yet, and it will take a long time to surpass those figures.
I honestly thought I would never see MSC's records fall.
I'm happy to have witnessed both of their careers in their entirety, along with Prost and Senna's and the latter half of Lauda's
I got into F1 as a young kid when I was enamored by the spectacle that came on, on ORF1 in austria with their legendary announcer Heinz Prüller

Quite true! To witness Stewart, Lauda, Senna, Prost and Vettel as well was certainly a bonus. There are signs of one or two drivers on the grid with the potential to chase these records down; given a great car. But it is a long road to these dizzy heights set by Schmacher and Hamilton. It would take a consistent and well planned career plus loads of raw talent to reach these levels. But it is doable.

As Michael Schumacher said himself, "Record are there to be broken" . Said as a true titan of racing.

Hamilton was the best decision that Mercedes ever made on their return to F1 racing way back. A decision taken by the combined effort of Niki Lauda, Toto Woolf and Ross Brawn. It is quaint that Hamilton came into Mercedes to replace Michael Schumacher, and went on to use that opportunity to match Schumacher's tally of race wins.